|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What part of Tarwater does Rayber see first in the beginning of chapter 5?
(a) His teeth.
(b) His hat.
(c) His chin.
(d) His shoes.
2. What does Tarwater do with Mason's coffin?
(a) He rebuilds it.
(b) He buries Mason in it.
(c) He burns it.
(d) He does not use it.
3. Who says they are "just now waking up"?
4. What does Tarwater say about the teachings of Mason?
(a) He says it's the only truth.
(b) He says he knows better.
(c) He says it will set him free.
(d) He says he doesn't believe any of it.
5. What small town does this story begin in?
6. What does Tarwater compare Mason's dead eyes to?
(a) The eyes of a fish.
(b) The eyes of a devil.
(c) The eyes of a slave.
(d) The eyes of the stars.
7. What does Mason want at the head of his grave?
(b) A cross.
(c) A stone.
(d) An angel.
8. Why does Tarwater drop the knocker at the schoolteacher's house?
(a) It is cold.
(b) It looks like the devil.
(c) It breaks.
(d) He doesn't want to visit.
9. Who does Tarwater hitch a ride into town with?
(a) A newspaper salesman.
10. What does Tarwater do to the shack the night Mason dies?
(a) Sells it cheaply.
(b) Builds an addition.
(c) Tears it down.
(d) Sets fire to it.
11. What does Tarwater do when he and Rayber return home from the church?
(a) He says he wants to eat.
(b) He goes directly to bed.
(c) He stands outside the door for a moment.
(d) He refuses to come inside.
12. What does Meeks think of Tarwater after driving for only a short while?
(a) That he is a runaway.
(b) That he is related.
(c) That he has a good business idea.
(d) That he is just trying to sell him something.
13. Why did Lucette's mother travel to China and Africa?
(a) Because she was rich.
(b) Because she took a year off from work.
(c) Because she was a missionary.
(d) Because she was trying to adopt a child.
14. What does Meeks say he graduated with?
(a) A high school diploma.
(b) An H.L.L. degree.
(c) A B.A.
(d) An M.A.
15. When does Tarwater hear the stranger's voice?
(a) When he is burning leaves.
(b) When he is digging a grave.
(c) When he is raking the grass.
(d) When he is sitting on the porch.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the one time Mason decided to stop prophesying?
2. According to the schoolteacher, what is the only thing Bishop can do?
3. What does Rayber compare Lucette to?
4. Whose voice is the stranger's?
5. Who is Tarwater's uncle?
This section contains 462 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)