|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did Mason convince to get a job in his sister's house?
(a) The schoolteacher.
(d) Luella Munson.
2. What does Lucette say is coming?
(a) My Word.
(c) The end of the world.
(d) My Lord.
3. Why does Rayber think Tarwater is headed into town the night he leaves the house?
(a) To go to church.
(b) To have a drink.
(c) To see something that interested him.
(d) To meet with friends.
4. What does Tarwater say about the teachings of Mason?
(a) He says it's the only truth.
(b) He says it will set him free.
(c) He says he doesn't believe any of it.
(d) He says he knows better.
5. Who shoots the schoolteacher?
6. Why does the schoolteacher use the help of a welfare office worker?
(a) To find a new job.
(b) To get child support.
(c) To get Tarwater back.
(d) To get unemployment.
7. What does Tarwater say about burying Mason?
(a) Mason was too big to bury.
(b) Mason did not leave instructions.
(c) Mason's coffin broke.
(d) Mason wanted too fancy of a grave.
8. Who steals Tarwater from his crib?
(c) The schoolteacher.
9. What does Tarwater do with the books, clothing, and other items the schoolteacher bought for him?
(a) Tarwater ignores them.
(b) Tarwater says thank you.
(c) Tarwater sells them.
(d) Tarwater hides them.
10. What does Meeks do every time Tarwater mentions Mason?
(a) He yells at Tarwater.
(b) He rolls his eyes.
(c) He agrees with Mason's ideas.
(d) He challenges Mason's ideas.
11. Who says they are "just now waking up"?
12. What does Mason tell Tarwater a benefit of living in the woods is?
(a) Tarwater doesn't have to buy food.
(b) Tarwater gets his own chicken.
(c) Tarwater doesn't have to go to school.
(d) Tarwater gets to learn outdoorsman skills.
13. As Meeks drives with Tarwater, what does he consider doing with Tarwater?
(a) Meeks considers letting Tarwater stay with his family.
(b) Meeks considers dropping Tarwater off on the side of the road.
(c) Meeks considers using Tarwater in his business.
(d) Meeks considers taking Tarwater to an institution.
14. What happened after Rayber was shot by Mason?
(a) He had Mason arrested.
(b) He shot back.
(c) He started to lose his hearing.
(d) He started to walk with a limp.
15. According to the voice, what's the only reason Mason wanted Tarwater?
(a) So someone would take over the business.
(b) So someone would give him a Christian burial.
(c) So someone would have to pay his taxes.
(d) So someone would keep him company.
Short Answer Questions
1. What small town does this story begin in?
2. Who will inherit Mason's land?
3. How did Mason describe Tarwater's sister?
4. What does Tarwater confuse the city lights with?
5. Why does Rayber leave his house at the end of chapter 4?
This section contains 487 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)