|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tarwater do with Mason's coffin?
(a) He rebuilds it.
(b) He buries Mason in it.
(c) He does not use it.
(d) He burns it.
2. Who takes the form of the devil in chapter 2?
(c) The schoolteacher.
3. As Meeks drives with Tarwater, what does he consider doing with Tarwater?
(a) Meeks considers dropping Tarwater off on the side of the road.
(b) Meeks considers taking Tarwater to an institution.
(c) Meeks considers using Tarwater in his business.
(d) Meeks considers letting Tarwater stay with his family.
4. According to the voice, what's the only reason Mason wanted Tarwater?
(a) So someone would take over the business.
(b) So someone would have to pay his taxes.
(c) So someone would give him a Christian burial.
(d) So someone would keep him company.
5. Why does Tarwater drop the knocker at the schoolteacher's house?
(a) He doesn't want to visit.
(b) It is cold.
(c) It looks like the devil.
(d) It breaks.
6. What does Tarwater do when Mason dies?
(a) Finishes his breakfast.
(b) Asks a neighbor for help.
(c) Calls the police.
(d) Goes into the woods.
7. What about Tarwater makes fury rise in Rayber?
(a) The way he eats.
(b) The way he follows him around the house.
(c) The way he does not care about the new clothes.
(d) The way he is independent.
8. What does Mason tell Tarwater about his place?
(a) Tarwater's place is the baptize children.
(b) Tarwater's place is to think and do God's will.
(c) Tarwater's place is in the house.
(d) Tarwater's place is not to think, but to act on the Lord's calling.
9. What does Mason say will burn a prophet?
10. Who says they are free?
11. Why does Tarwater say he went to the church?
(a) To spit on it.
(b) To laugh at it.
(c) To be saved.
(d) To be healed.
12. What is part of a "simple equation that required no further solution"?
13. What does Lucette wear?
(a) A long white dress.
(b) A man's jacket and tie.
(c) A cape and a skirt.
(d) A black jacket.
14. What does Mason Tarwater do for a living?
(b) Sells moonshine.
(d) Shines shoes.
15. What does the banner say on the building Rayber thinks Tarwater went into late at night?
(a) "Pray ye, for all."
(b) "Unless ye be born again."
(c) "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."
(d) "The time has come."
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rayber forget to put on the night he follows Tarwater?
2. Who steals Tarwater from his crib?
3. Who does Tarwater smile like?
4. Who does the schoolteacher marry?
5. The stranger's voice tells Tarwater to go where?
This section contains 451 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)