|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Tarwater prove to Meeks that the schoolteacher lives in town?
(a) He makes him drive to his house.
(b) He finds him in a phonebook.
(c) He has him pull over to ask someone.
(d) He doesn't convince him.
2. Who says they won't get used to Tarwater?
(d) The schoolteacher.
3. What does Tarwater say about the teachings of Mason?
(a) He says it will set him free.
(b) He says it's the only truth.
(c) He says he knows better.
(d) He says he doesn't believe any of it.
4. What does Mason tell Tarwater about his place?
(a) Tarwater's place is the baptize children.
(b) Tarwater's place is not to think, but to act on the Lord's calling.
(c) Tarwater's place is in the house.
(d) Tarwater's place is to think and do God's will.
5. What does Meeks say he graduated with?
(a) An H.L.L. degree.
(b) A B.A.
(c) A high school diploma.
(d) An M.A.
6. What part of Tarwater does Rayber see first in the beginning of chapter 5?
(a) His hat.
(b) His teeth.
(c) His chin.
(d) His shoes.
7. How did Mason describe Tarwater's sister?
(a) He called her a dirty name.
(b) He called her a lost cause.
(c) He called her his favorite.
(d) He called her beautiful.
8. When Rayber tells Tarwater that now he has a father, how does Tarwater respond?
(a) Tarwater says he already has a father.
(b) Tarwater says he is glad.
(c) Tarwater says he didn't ask for a father.
(d) Tarwater ignores Rayber.
9. When Rayber is watching Lucette's parents, who does he keep envisioning?
(a) The devil.
(b) His father.
10. What does Tarwater do when he and Rayber return home from the church?
(a) He goes directly to bed.
(b) He stands outside the door for a moment.
(c) He says he wants to eat.
(d) He refuses to come inside.
11. What does Lucette say is coming?
(a) The end of the world.
(b) My Lord.
(d) My Word.
12. Whose voice is the stranger's?
(b) An angry neighbor.
(d) The devil.
13. What does Tarwater say about burying Mason?
(a) Mason was too big to bury.
(b) Mason's coffin broke.
(c) Mason wanted too fancy of a grave.
(d) Mason did not leave instructions.
14. What does Tarwater do with Mason's coffin?
(a) He rebuilds it.
(b) He burns it.
(c) He buries Mason in it.
(d) He does not use it.
15. After four days with Tarwater, how does the schoolteacher feel?
(a) He feels exhausted.
(b) He feels unsure.
(c) He feels excited.
(d) He feels determined.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the schoolteacher first think when Tarwater shows up at his house?
2. What does Tarwater compare Bishop to when they go to the Italian restaurant?
3. Why does Tarwater drop the knocker at the schoolteacher's house?
4. What about Tarwater makes fury rise in Rayber?
5. Who says they are "just now waking up"?
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)