|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Rayber think Tarwater is headed into town the night he leaves the house?
(a) To go to church.
(b) To see something that interested him.
(c) To have a drink.
(d) To meet with friends.
2. What feature was Tarwater unable to recall about the schoolteacher's face?
(a) His eyes.
(b) His jaw.
(c) His nose.
(d) His mouth.
3. Who says they are "just now waking up"?
4. What does Tarwater want to make clear to Rayber, the "schoolteacher", the morning he goes to his house?
(a) That he needs money.
(b) That he wants Bishop to be like a brother.
(c) That he is not to be studied.
(d) That he disagreed with Mason.
5. What does Tarwater do with the books, clothing, and other items the schoolteacher bought for him?
(a) Tarwater hides them.
(b) Tarwater sells them.
(c) Tarwater ignores them.
(d) Tarwater says thank you.
6. Where was Mason kept for four years?
(a) The woods.
(b) An asylum.
(c) A college.
(d) A church.
7. Where does Mason die?
(a) On his front porch.
(b) At the breakfast table.
(c) In bed.
(d) In church.
8. After four days with Tarwater, how does the schoolteacher feel?
(a) He feels determined.
(b) He feels unsure.
(c) He feels excited.
(d) He feels exhausted.
9. When Rayber tells Tarwater that now he has a father, how does Tarwater respond?
(a) Tarwater says he didn't ask for a father.
(b) Tarwater says he already has a father.
(c) Tarwater says he is glad.
(d) Tarwater ignores Rayber.
10. What does Tarwater do to the shack the night Mason dies?
(a) Sets fire to it.
(b) Builds an addition.
(c) Tears it down.
(d) Sells it cheaply.
11. What does Tarwater do when he and Rayber return home from the church?
(a) He goes directly to bed.
(b) He says he wants to eat.
(c) He refuses to come inside.
(d) He stands outside the door for a moment.
12. What does Meeks do for a living?
(a) Copper flue salesman.
(b) Phonebook salesman.
13. Why does Rayber leave his house at the end of chapter 4?
(a) Because Tarwater was gone.
(b) Because of a fight.
(c) Because he needed to go to the store.
(d) Because Bishop ran away.
14. What part of Tarwater does Rayber see first in the beginning of chapter 5?
(a) His shoes.
(b) His chin.
(c) His teeth.
(d) His hat.
15. Where does Bishop go to school?
(a) He is homeschooled.
(b) A school in the next town.
(c) He does not go to school.
(d) A school for exceptional children.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Meeks think of Tarwater after driving for only a short while?
2. What was the one time Mason decided to stop prophesying?
3. What window does Tarwater stop in front of to look in?
4. What small town does this story begin in?
5. Who says they won't get used to Tarwater?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)