|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tarwater do when he and Rayber return home from the church?
(a) He says he wants to eat.
(b) He stands outside the door for a moment.
(c) He goes directly to bed.
(d) He refuses to come inside.
2. Whose voice is the stranger's?
(b) The devil.
(d) An angry neighbor.
3. What does the banner say on the building Rayber thinks Tarwater went into late at night?
(a) "Pray ye, for all."
(b) "Unless ye be born again."
(c) "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."
(d) "The time has come."
4. Why would Mason leave for days at a time into the woods?
(a) To meditate.
(b) To earn money.
(c) To communicate with God.
(d) To fight with animals.
5. What does Lucette wear?
(a) A cape and a skirt.
(b) A black jacket.
(c) A man's jacket and tie.
(d) A long white dress.
6. What does the schoolteacher describe as "coming out of darkness into light"?
(a) Tarwater riding with Meeks.
(b) Raising Bishop.
(c) Tarwater breaking free from Mason.
(d) Getting baptized.
7. When Rayber is watching Lucette's parents, who does he keep envisioning?
(b) The devil.
(d) His father.
8. The stranger's voice tells Tarwater to go where?
(a) To the north.
(b) To town.
(c) To the shack.
(d) To the woods.
9. What does Rayber call the aptitude test?
(a) A game.
(c) Too hard for Tarwater.
(d) A measure of ability.
10. According to the voice, what's the only reason Mason wanted Tarwater?
(a) So someone would keep him company.
(b) So someone would have to pay his taxes.
(c) So someone would give him a Christian burial.
(d) So someone would take over the business.
11. What about Tarwater makes fury rise in Rayber?
(a) The way he follows him around the house.
(b) The way he is independent.
(c) The way he eats.
(d) The way he does not care about the new clothes.
12. Who does Tarwater hitch a ride into town with?
(c) A newspaper salesman.
13. What does Tarwater think about Mason's property after Mason's death?
(a) He thinks about the changes he can make.
(b) He thinks about how to pay the taxes.
(c) He thinks about selling the place.
(d) He thinks about renting the place.
14. What does Lucette say is coming?
(a) My Lord.
(b) My Word.
(d) The end of the world.
15. Who buries Mason Tarwater?
(a) Francis Marion.
(b) The schoolteacher.
(c) Buford Munson.
(d) Bernice Bishop.
Short Answer Questions
1. What catches Tarwater's attention in the store window when he is walking with Rayber?
2. Why does Tarwater say he went to the church?
3. Who has a gash in their ear?
4. Where does Bishop go to school?
5. What does Meeks say he graduated with?
This section contains 476 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)