|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first thing Tarwater says to the schoolteacher?
(a) That he needs money.
(b) That God sent him there.
(c) That he needs to see Bishop.
(d) That Mason is dead.
2. Why does Rayber have a hard time walking around the town?
(a) Because Tarwater made him mad.
(b) Because of Bishop.
(c) Because he limps.
(d) Because it is raining.
3. What reason does Mason give for his finding a lover for Tarwater's mother?
(a) To get her a child.
(b) To get her to move away.
(c) To raise her self-confidence.
(d) To earn money.
4. Who says they won't get used to Tarwater?
(d) The schoolteacher.
5. What does Tarwater do with the books, clothing, and other items the schoolteacher bought for him?
(a) Tarwater hides them.
(b) Tarwater ignores them.
(c) Tarwater sells them.
(d) Tarwater says thank you.
6. Who does Tarwater hitch a ride into town with?
(b) A newspaper salesman.
7. Whose voice is the stranger's?
(a) The devil.
(c) An angry neighbor.
8. Who said, "A dead man is not going to do you any good"?
9. What does Tarwater do to the shack the night Mason dies?
(a) Sells it cheaply.
(b) Builds an addition.
(c) Tears it down.
(d) Sets fire to it.
10. How does Tarwater prove to Meeks that the schoolteacher lives in town?
(a) He doesn't convince him.
(b) He finds him in a phonebook.
(c) He makes him drive to his house.
(d) He has him pull over to ask someone.
11. Why did Lucette's mother travel to China and Africa?
(a) Because she was a missionary.
(b) Because she took a year off from work.
(c) Because she was trying to adopt a child.
(d) Because she was rich.
12. What was the one time Mason decided to stop prophesying?
(a) When he was an old man.
(b) When he was at the schoolteacher's house.
(c) When he was in the asylum.
(d) When he turned thirty.
13. Where was Mason kept for four years?
(a) A college.
(b) An asylum.
(c) A church.
(d) The woods.
14. What does Tarwater do when Bishop tries to touch him?
(a) Tarwater takes a step back.
(b) Tarwater runs away.
(c) Tarwater reaches out his own hand.
(d) Tarwater smacks Bishops hand.
15. What does Rayber compare Lucette to?
(a) A baby bear.
(b) A blinded bird.
(c) A deaf cat.
(d) A scared puppy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Bishop go to school?
2. What does Meeks do for a living?
3. After four days with Tarwater, how does the schoolteacher feel?
4. What does Tarwater do with Buford's jug?
5. What small town does this story begin in?
This section contains 453 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)