|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who said that their parents did not teach them anything, except "not to wet the bed"?
(b) The schoolteacher.
2. What does Tarwater do when he and Rayber return home from the church?
(a) He refuses to come inside.
(b) He says he wants to eat.
(c) He stands outside the door for a moment.
(d) He goes directly to bed.
3. What catches Tarwater's attention in the store window when he is walking with Rayber?
(a) A balloon.
(b) A gold watch.
(c) A red car.
(d) A gun.
4. What does Tarwater say about the teachings of Mason?
(a) He says he doesn't believe any of it.
(b) He says it will set him free.
(c) He says he knows better.
(d) He says it's the only truth.
5. Who does Tarwater smile like?
(a) The schoolteacher.
6. Who takes the form of the devil in chapter 2?
(b) The schoolteacher.
7. Why does Tarwater say he went to the church?
(a) To spit on it.
(b) To laugh at it.
(c) To be saved.
(d) To be healed.
8. What small town does this story begin in?
9. What does the schoolteacher describe as "coming out of darkness into light"?
(a) Tarwater riding with Meeks.
(b) Tarwater breaking free from Mason.
(c) Getting baptized.
(d) Raising Bishop.
10. What does Rayber do as soon as he and Tarwater return home from the church?
(a) Goes to bed.
(b) Makes breakfast.
(c) Yells at Tarwater.
(d) Stays on the porch.
11. What does Rayber compare Lucette to?
(a) A baby bear.
(b) A blinded bird.
(c) A scared puppy.
(d) A deaf cat.
12. What does Tarwater do when Mason dies?
(a) Calls the police.
(b) Finishes his breakfast.
(c) Goes into the woods.
(d) Asks a neighbor for help.
13. Why would Mason leave for days at a time into the woods?
(a) To communicate with God.
(b) To fight with animals.
(c) To meditate.
(d) To earn money.
14. What does Tarwater know as soon as he sees Bishop?
(a) That he has to baptize him.
(b) That he needs to kidnap him.
(c) That he needs a bath.
(d) That the schoolteacher has been beating him.
15. Who says they are "just now waking up"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What window does Tarwater stop in front of to look in?
2. When Rayber tells Tarwater that now he has a father, how does Tarwater respond?
3. Whose voice is the stranger's?
4. When Rayber is watching Lucette's parents, who does he keep envisioning?
5. What does Mason say will burn a prophet?
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)