Chapter abstracts are short descriptions of events that occur in each chapter. They highlight major plot events and detail the important relationships and characteristics of characters and objects. The Chapter Abstracts can be used to review what the students have read, or to prepare the students for what they will read. Hand the abstracts out in class as a study guide, or use them as a "key" for a class discussion. They are relatively brief, but can serve to be an excellent refresher of the text for either a student or teacher.
Chapter 1 Abstract
* Buford Mason buries Mason Tarwater.
* Mason teaches Tarwater, his great-nephew, the ways of prophesying so that the child may carry on his legacy.
* Mason has a history of kidnapping and baptizing children.
* Tarwater's uncle, Rayber, "the schoolteacher", has been at odds with Mason for years.
* Mason always wanted to baptize Rayber's son Bishop.
Chapters 2 and 3 Abstract
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)