|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Lucy respond to the comments from Messieurs Boissec and Rochemorte as they are testing her?
2. What is M. Paul most worried about leaving Lucy at the Rue Fossette when he leaves?
3. While M. Paul is gone he writes letters to Lucy, what does he say about her religion?
4. When Lucy sees M. Paul arrive at the fete-night with Justine Marie, his young ward, what does she think?
5. What does Paulina tell Lucy she received from Graham when traveling across France with her father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Both M. Paul and Graham are friends of Lucy's, but they both interpret her character in different ways. Describe how both M. Paul and Graham see Lucy. Which man do you think truly knows Lucy's real character? What makes you feel this way? Please use examples from the book to defend your point of view.
Essay Topic 2
Lucy is considered a dynamic character in the story of Villette. Describe what a dynamic character is and why Lucy fulfills the requirements to be considered a dynamic character. In contrast, explain what a static character is and provide one example of such a character that can be found in the story.
Essay Topic 3
M. Paul and Lucy's relationship is introduced to the reader early in the novel and is an integral part of Lucy's story. Please describe the development of M. Paul and Lucy's relationship from their first encounter through the end of the novel. Please give specific examples from the story to show the various changes or stages in Lucy and M. Paul's relationship. Did any central themes play out through this relationship? If so, which ones?
This section contains 1,306 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)