|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Paulina nervous to tell her father about her love for Dr. Bretton?
2. What gift did Lucy take time making for M. Paul?
3. Lucy decides she will take the note to M. Paul. When she enters his classroom, how does he initially respond?
4. Visually, how does Lucy describe the town square where Madame Walravens lives?
5. In the end of the book, Lucy tells the readers that the skies are darkening and that many ships have been lost to the sea. Lucy never confirms that M. Paul returned to her. What does this leave the reader to infer?
Essay Topic 1
Lucy has significant relationships with both Paulina and Ginevra in the story. The reader can see, in the latter part of the novel, Lucy comparing the characters of Paulina and Ginevra to one another, and declaring one of them a better person than the other. Please compare and contrast Paulina and Ginevra's characters, give examples from the book, then explain which character you like more and why.
Essay Topic 2
Both M. Paul and Graham are friends of Lucy's, but they both interpret her character in different ways. Describe how both M. Paul and Graham see Lucy. Which man do you think truly knows Lucy's real character? What makes you feel this way? Please use examples from the book to defend your point of view.
Essay Topic 3
Pick one chapter that you believe contains a pivotal moment in Lucy's life and could have changed the course of her story. Why do you feel this chapter was so crucial to Lucy's story? What other choices could she have made at that point? Would those choices have drastically changed the course of her story? Please use examples or quotes from the chapter you choose.
This section contains 1,294 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)