|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lucy hits her head on the table while trying to pick up her dropped thimble. What does M. Paul do in response to this?
2. Who makes it clear that they do not approve of M. Paul's relationship with Lucy?
3. How many years does Lucy tell the reader M. Paul is gone for?
4. Later that night, after Lucy has delivered the note to M. Paul, he stops by to read to the students. What does he read to them?
5. What teacher leaves the school because of M. Paul and his fussing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the early chapters of the book we find Lucy alone and hopeless. At the end of the book we find Lucy still somewhat alone, but no longer hopeless. Who or what plays a role in Lucy moving from a place of hopelessness to a place of hope? Describe how Lucy gains hope throughout her journey in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Symbolism is a common occurrence in the story. Please explain the idea of symbolism and explain what a symbol is. Explain why a symbol may be seen negatively by one group or individual and positively by another group or individual. Choose one example from the story and explain how this example displays symbolism.
Essay Topic 3
As the main character, Lucy's personality traits are exposed and shared with the reader throughout the novel and can be seen through her actions, opinions, and words. Please provide a short list of these character traits, and then pick one quality of Lucy's that you dislike and one quality that you like or admire and explain why you feel the way you feel about these character traits of Lucy's. Please use examples from the book when explaining which character trait you like and which you dislike.
This section contains 1,247 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)