|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does M. Paul tell Lucy that people think that she is dangerous for him?
2. When spring and warm weather come around, how is Lucy feeling?
3. When everyone else at the school seems to be afraid of M. Paul and his temper, who is the one person who seems to challenge him?
4. M. Paul is leaving Europe to go where?
5. What gift did Lucy take time making for M. Paul?
Short Essay Questions
1. Lucy closes the book letting her readers know that M. Paul is expected in November and letting the reader know of the many storms that have claimed lives in the seas. What is one ending regarding Lucy and M. Paul the reader can infer?
2. How do others feel about M. Paul and Lucy's relationship in light of their differing religious views?
3. How does Ginevra's uncle respond to her elopement?
4. Why did M. Paul drive Madame Panache out of La Rue Fossette?
5. Why does M. Paul show Lucy's essay to his colleagues?
6. Why is Lucy hesitant to let M. Paul in as a close friend?
7. Madame Beck tells Lucy she cannot marry M. Paul. Why does Lucy think Madame Beck is saying this?
8. Why doesn't Lucy give M. Paul his watchguard at first?
9. Why is Paulina afraid to tell her father that she is in love with Graham?
10. Lucy sees her friends the Brettons and de Bassompierre's at the fete-night and overhears their conversation. What is said and how does it make Lucy feel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Symbolism is a common occurrence in the story. Please explain the idea of symbolism and explain what a symbol is. Explain why a symbol may be seen negatively by one group or individual and positively by another group or individual. Choose one example from the story and explain how this example displays symbolism.
Essay Topic 2
In the early chapters of the book we find Lucy alone and hopeless. At the end of the book we find Lucy still somewhat alone, but no longer hopeless. Who or what plays a role in Lucy moving from a place of hopelessness to a place of hope? Describe how Lucy gains hope throughout her journey in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Describe what narration is and what type of narration was used in the story of Villette. Give three examples from the novel of how the use of narration in Villette was essential to the story. Please explain if you liked the type of narration used in Villette--why or why not? If possible, use examples from the story.
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)