|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Paulina tells her father about her love for Graham, how does he respond?
2. Lucy takes a walk and begins to think about ways to become more independent. What is her idea for independence?
3. How does Madame Walravens respond to Madame Beck's gift?
4. What teacher leaves the school because of M. Paul and his fussing?
5. What languages does M. Paul think Lucy secretly knows?
Essay Topic 1
Lucy is considered a dynamic character in the story of Villette. Describe what a dynamic character is and why Lucy fulfills the requirements to be considered a dynamic character. In contrast, explain what a static character is and provide one example of such a character that can be found in the story.
Essay Topic 2
When Charlotte Bronte wrote Villette, Gothic Novels were very popular. Please describe the qualifications of what makes a novel a Gothic novel. Provide three examples of elements that are found in Gothic novels and also found in the story of Villette.
Essay Topic 3
The literary element of conflict is found throughout Lucy's story. Please define conflict as a literary function. Describe the following three types of conflict and give one example from the story for each of these types of conflict:
1) Man vs. man.
2) Man vs. self.
3) Man vs. society.
This section contains 1,249 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)