|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who makes it clear that they do not approve of M. Paul's relationship with Lucy?
2. Why is M. Paul leaving Europe?
3. While Lucy and M. Paul are speaking together in the country, what does M. Paul call Lucy?
4. What is the name of M. Paul's dog?
5. Later that night, after Lucy has delivered the note to M. Paul, he stops by to read to the students. What does he read to them?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are three things that Lucy does in the three years M. Paul is gone?
2. How did M. Paul keep his promise to the students and teachers of La Rue Fossette?
3. Why doesn't Lucy give M. Paul his watchguard at first?
4. Why is Zylie so interested in M. Paul?
5. Why is Rosine afraid to take a message to M. Paul?
6. Lucy closes the book letting her readers know that M. Paul is expected in November and letting the reader know of the many storms that have claimed lives in the seas. What is one ending regarding Lucy and M. Paul the reader can infer?
7. How does Lucy feel about Paulina and Graham's relationship?
8. How does M. Paul respond to Lucy's jealousy about Justine Marie?
9. What rumors has Lucy heard that may be the reason behind M. Paul's departure from Europe?
10. How does Lucy feel about Pire Silas when she is first interacting with him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Paulina and Lucy are close friends by the end of the novel; however, their life experiences are drastically different. Compare Lucy and Paulina's character traits. Compare and contrast Lucy and Paulina's life circumstances? What about Lucy and Paulina's characters seem to draw them into friendship?
Essay Topic 2
Do you agree or disagree with this statement: Madame Beck is an antagonist in the story of Villette? Defend your answer in three parts, and use at least one example from the book for each argument.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the relationship triangle that exists between Paulina, Graham, and Mr. Home. Which relationship holds the most tension? Which person is at the center of the triangle? How does the relationship triangle get resolved toward the end of the novel?
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)