|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Paulina tells her father about her love for Graham, how does he respond?
2. In Chapter 38, who interrupts Lucy and M. Paul in the garden as he is holding her hand and is just about to tell her something?
3. Why is Paulina nervous to tell her father about her love for Dr. Bretton?
4. What excuse does M. Paul try to use to convince Lucy to take the public examination?
5. Lucy hits her head on the table while trying to pick up her dropped thimble. What does M. Paul do in response to this?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does M. de Bassompierre react when Graham speaks with him about Paulina?
2. Lucy closes the book letting her readers know that M. Paul is expected in November and letting the reader know of the many storms that have claimed lives in the seas. What is one ending regarding Lucy and M. Paul the reader can infer?
3. Why is Rosine afraid to take a message to M. Paul?
4. When Lucy sees M. Paul arrive at the fete night with Justine Marie, what does she think?
5. How does M. Paul respond to Lucy breaking his glasses?
6. How does Lucy feel about Paulina and Graham's relationship?
7. Why doesn't Lucy give M. Paul his watchguard at first?
8. How does Lucy feel about Pire Silas when she is first interacting with him?
9. How did M. Paul keep his promise to the students and teachers of La Rue Fossette?
10. In Chapter 31, Lucy is trying to create a plan to gain more independence, what is her plan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lucy is considered a dynamic character in the story of Villette. Describe what a dynamic character is and why Lucy fulfills the requirements to be considered a dynamic character. In contrast, explain what a static character is and provide one example of such a character that can be found in the story.
Essay Topic 2
Paulina and Lucy are close friends by the end of the novel; however, their life experiences are drastically different. Compare Lucy and Paulina's character traits. Compare and contrast Lucy and Paulina's life circumstances? What about Lucy and Paulina's characters seem to draw them into friendship?
Essay Topic 3
Do you agree or disagree with this statement: Madame Beck is an antagonist in the story of Villette? Defend your answer in three parts, and use at least one example from the book for each argument.
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)