|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does M. Paul react when he receives Lucy's gift for his fete-day?
2. Ginevra tells Lucy who the nun really is. Who is the nun?
3. In Chapter 27, M. Paul stops to speak to Lucy after he has read to the students for the night. What does he say to her?
4. Who does Lucy find out is responsible for taking care of Madame Walravens financially?
5. When Paulina and her father discuss Paulina's love for Graham, what do we learn about Paulina?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Lucy give M. Paul his watchguard at first?
2. Why did M. Paul drive Madame Panache out of La Rue Fossette?
3. Why is Rosine afraid to take a message to M. Paul?
4. What are three things that Lucy does in the three years M. Paul is gone?
5. What rumors has Lucy heard that may be the reason behind M. Paul's departure from Europe?
6. Does Lucy believe that the older Paulina is a good person?
7. Why is Lucy hesitant to let M. Paul in as a close friend?
8. When M. Paul comes to say farewell to Lucy, in what state does he find her?
9. How do others feel about M. Paul and Lucy's relationship in light of their differing religious views?
10. Why doesn't Lucy want to take the public examination?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Paulina and Lucy are close friends by the end of the novel; however, their life experiences are drastically different. Compare Lucy and Paulina's character traits. Compare and contrast Lucy and Paulina's life circumstances? What about Lucy and Paulina's characters seem to draw them into friendship?
Essay Topic 2
Pick one chapter that you believe contains a pivotal moment in Lucy's life and could have changed the course of her story. Why do you feel this chapter was so crucial to Lucy's story? What other choices could she have made at that point? Would those choices have drastically changed the course of her story? Please use examples or quotes from the chapter you choose.
Essay Topic 3
Lucy is considered a dynamic character in the story of Villette. Describe what a dynamic character is and why Lucy fulfills the requirements to be considered a dynamic character. In contrast, explain what a static character is and provide one example of such a character that can be found in the story.
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)