|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gift did Lucy take time making for M. Paul?
2. What does M. Paul give to a child to pass on to Lucy as he is leaving the school?
3. Lucy tries to deliver a note to M. Paul during his class, and in the process breaks something of his. What does she break?
4. How does Lucy respond to the comments from Messieurs Boissec and Rochemorte as they are testing her?
5. What excuse does M. Paul try to use to convince Lucy to take the public examination?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did M. Paul keep his promise to the students and teachers of La Rue Fossette?
2. How does Lucy feel about Paulina and Graham's relationship?
3. Lucy sees her friends the Brettons and de Bassompierre's at the fete-night and overhears their conversation. What is said and how does it make Lucy feel?
4. What are three things that Lucy does in the three years M. Paul is gone?
5. Why did M. Paul drive Madame Panache out of La Rue Fossette?
6. How do others feel about M. Paul and Lucy's relationship in light of their differing religious views?
7. How does M. Paul respond to Lucy breaking his glasses?
8. How does M. Paul respond to Lucy's jealousy about Justine Marie?
9. Does Lucy believe that the older Paulina is a good person?
10. Why is Zylie so interested in M. Paul?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Paulina and Lucy are close friends by the end of the novel; however, their life experiences are drastically different. Compare Lucy and Paulina's character traits. Compare and contrast Lucy and Paulina's life circumstances? What about Lucy and Paulina's characters seem to draw them into friendship?
Essay Topic 2
Foreshadowing is an element of literature that can be seen in several relationships throughout the novel. Describe the idea of foreshadowing; provide three examples of foreshadowing that can be found in Villette and explain why these examples can be seen as foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 3
Lucy is considered a dynamic character in the story of Villette. Describe what a dynamic character is and why Lucy fulfills the requirements to be considered a dynamic character. In contrast, explain what a static character is and provide one example of such a character that can be found in the story.
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)