|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. M. Paul notes that his plans to leave Europe have changed, why have they changed?
2. When M. Paul asks Lucy how if she would welcome him back if he left for a number of years, how does Lucy respond?
3. When Lucy is on her way back to Rue Fossette from the fete-night, what strange sight does she see?
4. Why does Madame Beck make Lucy stay upstairs translating a letter on M. Paul's last day?
5. What does M. Paul use his study at the boy's college for?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Zylie so interested in M. Paul?
2. What explanation does Ginevra give Lucy about the nun?
3. In Chapter 31, Lucy is trying to create a plan to gain more independence, what is her plan?
4. How did M. Paul keep his promise to the students and teachers of La Rue Fossette?
5. Madame Beck tells Lucy she cannot marry M. Paul. Why does Lucy think Madame Beck is saying this?
6. Describe Madame Walravens.
7. Why does Madame Beck send Lucy on the errand to Madame Walravens?
8. How does M. Paul respond to Lucy's jealousy about Justine Marie?
9. Lucy sees her friends the Brettons and de Bassompierre's at the fete-night and overhears their conversation. What is said and how does it make Lucy feel?
10. Why is Paulina afraid to tell her father that she is in love with Graham?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe what narration is and what type of narration was used in the story of Villette. Give three examples from the novel of how the use of narration in Villette was essential to the story. Please explain if you liked the type of narration used in Villette--why or why not? If possible, use examples from the story.
Essay Topic 2
Lucy is considered a dynamic character in the story of Villette. Describe what a dynamic character is and why Lucy fulfills the requirements to be considered a dynamic character. In contrast, explain what a static character is and provide one example of such a character that can be found in the story.
Essay Topic 3
Give three examples of Lucy's attempts or actions taken toward her own independence. How does Lucy's quest for independence mirror or differ from your own? Please give at least two examples of the similarities or differences.
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)