|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who secretly leaves books and pamphlets in Lucy's desk for her to read?
2. While waiting in the parlor at Madam Walravens, Lucy begins to study a portrait. Who's portrait is it?
3. Later that night, after Lucy has delivered the note to M. Paul, he stops by to read to the students. What does he read to them?
4. Who makes it clear that they do not approve of M. Paul's relationship with Lucy?
5. Why does Madame Beck make Lucy stay upstairs translating a letter on M. Paul's last day?
Short Essay Questions
1. Lucy sees her friends the Brettons and de Bassompierre's at the fete-night and overhears their conversation. What is said and how does it make Lucy feel?
2. Why does M. Paul have a study at the boys' college?
3. Why does Madame Beck send Lucy on the errand to Madame Walravens?
4. Lucy closes the book letting her readers know that M. Paul is expected in November and letting the reader know of the many storms that have claimed lives in the seas. What is one ending regarding Lucy and M. Paul the reader can infer?
5. Why is Lucy hesitant to let M. Paul in as a close friend?
6. How does Ginevra's uncle respond to her elopement?
7. How did M. Paul keep his promise to the students and teachers of La Rue Fossette?
8. Why is Paulina afraid to tell her father that she is in love with Graham?
9. How does M. de Bassompierre react when Graham speaks with him about Paulina?
10. When Lucy sees M. Paul arrive at the fete night with Justine Marie, what does she think?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Religion is a theme seen throughout the novel. Explain the role that religion play in the following settings/relationships:
a) Between Lucy and her students.
b) In Lucy's relationship with M. Paul.
c) In how others in France (e.g., Pire Silas, Madame Beck) view Lucy.
Essay Topic 2
Symbolism is a common occurrence in the story. Please explain the idea of symbolism and explain what a symbol is. Explain why a symbol may be seen negatively by one group or individual and positively by another group or individual. Choose one example from the story and explain how this example displays symbolism.
Essay Topic 3
In the early chapters of the book we find Lucy alone and hopeless. At the end of the book we find Lucy still somewhat alone, but no longer hopeless. Who or what plays a role in Lucy moving from a place of hopelessness to a place of hope? Describe how Lucy gains hope throughout her journey in the novel.
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)