|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Lucy returns to her room from the fete-night, what does she find sitting on her bed?
2. When Lucy is on her way back to Rue Fossette from the fete-night, what strange sight does she see?
3. Lucy decides she will take the note to M. Paul. When she enters his classroom, how does he initially respond?
4. What is the name of the ship that M. Paul will be taking when he leaves Europe?
5. In the end of the book, Lucy tells the readers that the skies are darkening and that many ships have been lost to the sea. Lucy never confirms that M. Paul returned to her. What does this leave the reader to infer?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Zylie so interested in M. Paul?
2. Why did M. Paul drive Madame Panache out of La Rue Fossette?
3. Why does M. Paul show Lucy's essay to his colleagues?
4. How does Lucy feel about Paulina and Graham's relationship?
5. How does Ginevra's uncle respond to her elopement?
6. Lucy closes the book letting her readers know that M. Paul is expected in November and letting the reader know of the many storms that have claimed lives in the seas. What is one ending regarding Lucy and M. Paul the reader can infer?
7. What rumors has Lucy heard that may be the reason behind M. Paul's departure from Europe?
8. What are three things that Lucy does in the three years M. Paul is gone?
9. Lucy sees her friends the Brettons and de Bassompierre's at the fete-night and overhears their conversation. What is said and how does it make Lucy feel?
10. Madame Beck tells Lucy she cannot marry M. Paul. Why does Lucy think Madame Beck is saying this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The literary element of conflict is found throughout Lucy's story. Please define conflict as a literary function. Describe the following three types of conflict and give one example from the story for each of these types of conflict:
1) Man vs. man.
2) Man vs. self.
3) Man vs. society.
Essay Topic 2
Symbolism is a common occurrence in the story. Please explain the idea of symbolism and explain what a symbol is. Explain why a symbol may be seen negatively by one group or individual and positively by another group or individual. Choose one example from the story and explain how this example displays symbolism.
Essay Topic 3
Lucy has significant relationships with both Paulina and Ginevra in the story. The reader can see, in the latter part of the novel, Lucy comparing the characters of Paulina and Ginevra to one another, and declaring one of them a better person than the other. Please compare and contrast Paulina and Ginevra's characters, give examples from the book, then explain which character you like more and why.
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)