|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Lucy is on her way back to Rue Fossette from the fete-night, what strange sight does she see?
2. In Chapter 36, Lucy finds a lilac pamphlet in her desk. What is the pamphlet about?
3. M. Paul is leaving Europe to go where?
4. While M. Paul is gone he writes letters to Lucy, what does he say about her religion?
5. When M. Paul asks Lucy how if she would welcome him back if he left for a number of years, how does Lucy respond?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lucy feel about Pire Silas when she is first interacting with him?
2. What explanation does Ginevra give Lucy about the nun?
3. Lucy closes the book letting her readers know that M. Paul is expected in November and letting the reader know of the many storms that have claimed lives in the seas. What is one ending regarding Lucy and M. Paul the reader can infer?
4. When Lucy sees M. Paul arrive at the fete night with Justine Marie, what does she think?
5. Does Lucy believe that the older Paulina is a good person?
6. Madame Beck tells Lucy she cannot marry M. Paul. Why does Lucy think Madame Beck is saying this?
7. How do others feel about M. Paul and Lucy's relationship in light of their differing religious views?
8. How does M. Paul respond to Lucy's jealousy about Justine Marie?
9. Why doesn't Lucy want to take the public examination?
10. How does M. Paul respond to Lucy breaking his glasses?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Symbolism is a common occurrence in the story. Please explain the idea of symbolism and explain what a symbol is. Explain why a symbol may be seen negatively by one group or individual and positively by another group or individual. Choose one example from the story and explain how this example displays symbolism.
Essay Topic 2
Lucy has significant relationships with both Paulina and Ginevra in the story. The reader can see, in the latter part of the novel, Lucy comparing the characters of Paulina and Ginevra to one another, and declaring one of them a better person than the other. Please compare and contrast Paulina and Ginevra's characters, give examples from the book, then explain which character you like more and why.
Essay Topic 3
In the early chapters of the book we find Lucy alone and hopeless. At the end of the book we find Lucy still somewhat alone, but no longer hopeless. Who or what plays a role in Lucy moving from a place of hopelessness to a place of hope? Describe how Lucy gains hope throughout her journey in the novel.
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)