|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gift did Lucy take time making for M. Paul?
2. How does M. Paul react when he receives Lucy's gift for his fete-day?
3. What is M. Paul most worried about leaving Lucy at the Rue Fossette when he leaves?
4. Why is Paulina initially nervous to speak with Lucy about her feelings for Graham?
5. When Paulina and her father discuss Paulina's love for Graham, what do we learn about Paulina?
Short Essay Questions
1. What shift do we see in M. Paul and Lucy's relationship while they are in the country for breakfast?
2. How does M. Paul respond to Lucy's jealousy about Justine Marie?
3. How does Lucy feel about Paulina and Graham's relationship?
4. How does Lucy feel about Pire Silas when she is first interacting with him?
5. Why is Paulina afraid to tell her father that she is in love with Graham?
6. Why doesn't Lucy give M. Paul his watchguard at first?
7. Why does M. Paul have a study at the boys' college?
8. Why is Lucy hesitant to let M. Paul in as a close friend?
9. Why does Madame Beck send Lucy on the errand to Madame Walravens?
10. How does M. Paul respond to Lucy breaking his glasses?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Religion is a theme seen throughout the novel. Explain the role that religion play in the following settings/relationships:
a) Between Lucy and her students.
b) In Lucy's relationship with M. Paul.
c) In how others in France (e.g., Pire Silas, Madame Beck) view Lucy.
Essay Topic 2
The fear of being alone or forgotten seems to haunt Lucy. Give at least three examples of Lucy's fear of being alone and/or forgotten. How did this fear affect certain relationships that Lucy has? How does her fear affect her view of her life? Why do you think this fear exists for Lucy?
Essay Topic 3
Symbolism is a common occurrence in the story. Please explain the idea of symbolism and explain what a symbol is. Explain why a symbol may be seen negatively by one group or individual and positively by another group or individual. Choose one example from the story and explain how this example displays symbolism.
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)