|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During the second year that Lucy is running her own school, what gift does she unexpectedly receive from a relative of Miss Marchmont?
2. Why is Paulina nervous to tell her father about her love for Dr. Bretton?
3. Lucy decides she will take the note to M. Paul. When she enters his classroom, how does he initially respond?
4. In Chapter 38, who interrupts Lucy and M. Paul in the garden as he is holding her hand and is just about to tell her something?
5. Two associates from the college are at La Rue Fossette to test Lucy. Why?
Short Essay Questions
1. What shift do we see in M. Paul and Lucy's relationship while they are in the country for breakfast?
2. Does Lucy believe that the older Paulina is a good person?
3. What explanation does Ginevra give Lucy about the nun?
4. When Lucy sees M. Paul arrive at the fete night with Justine Marie, what does she think?
5. How do others feel about M. Paul and Lucy's relationship in light of their differing religious views?
6. Why doesn't Lucy give M. Paul his watchguard at first?
7. How does Lucy feel about Paulina and Graham's relationship?
8. Lucy closes the book letting her readers know that M. Paul is expected in November and letting the reader know of the many storms that have claimed lives in the seas. What is one ending regarding Lucy and M. Paul the reader can infer?
9. How does Ginevra's uncle respond to her elopement?
10. Why is Rosine afraid to take a message to M. Paul?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Religion is a theme seen throughout the novel. Explain the role that religion play in the following settings/relationships:
a) Between Lucy and her students.
b) In Lucy's relationship with M. Paul.
c) In how others in France (e.g., Pire Silas, Madame Beck) view Lucy.
Essay Topic 2
Do you agree or disagree with this statement: Madame Beck is an antagonist in the story of Villette? Defend your answer in three parts, and use at least one example from the book for each argument.
Essay Topic 3
The theme of womanhood is prevalent throughout the novel with two main types of womanhood being illustrated through the characters of Paulina and Ginevra. Describe the different types womanhood that these characters represent by using examples from the book.
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)