|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 10, who does Lucy recognize Dr. John to be when he comes to see Fifine?
2. Why does Madame Beck seem upset when Dr. John leaves?
3. How does Lucy feel about the Watson's, a family also on the voyage to France?
4. In Chapter Four, Lucy leaves the Brettons. Why?
5. What does Dr. John think that the nun is?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Madame Beck's relationship with her children.
2. How does Paulina act when Mr. Home returns to the Bretton's in the beginning of the novel?
3. Why is Lucy taking German lessons?
4. Describe Rosine.
5. Why does Lucy decide to bury her letters from Dr. John?
6. How does the note in the casket describe Lucy?
7. How does Lucy view Isidore?
8. How does Lucy view Paulina when she first comes to stay with the Brettons?
9. What reason does Lucy give Paulina for why she is a teacher?
10. How does Lucy feel about to returning to La Rue Fossette after her illness?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the early chapters of the book we find Lucy alone and hopeless. At the end of the book we find Lucy still somewhat alone, but no longer hopeless. Who or what plays a role in Lucy moving from a place of hopelessness to a place of hope? Describe how Lucy gains hope throughout her journey in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
M. Paul seems to bring out facets of Lucy's personality that others cannot and that Lucy was not aware that she had or could have. Give three examples of this scenario and describe what M. Paul does to bring these character traits out in Lucy. Why might he be able to bring these character traits out in Lucy?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the relationship triangle that exists between Paulina, Graham, and Mr. Home. Which relationship holds the most tension? Which person is at the center of the triangle? How does the relationship triangle get resolved toward the end of the novel?
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)