|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lucy is Protestant and makes comments to the students that Madame Beck does not agree with. Why does she not agree with Lucy's Protestant comments?
2. In who's house does Lucy find herself after she swoons?
3. How does Lucy view Paulina when she first meets her?
4. Who hurts Lucy's feelings at the hotel dinner by calling her a coquette?
5. What does Lucy find when she return to her room after leaving the Etude de soir?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Lucy sees M. Paul arrive at the fete night with Justine Marie, what does she think?
2. How does Lucy feel about Paulina and Graham's relationship?
3. How does Lucy come to be at La Terrasse?
4. Madame Beck tells Lucy she cannot marry M. Paul. Why does Lucy think Madame Beck is saying this?
5. Describe Rosine.
6. How does Lucy feel about Pire Silas when she is first interacting with him?
7. Why did M. Paul drive Madame Panache out of La Rue Fossette?
8. How does Lucy respond to Madame Beck's offer for her to teach?
9. Why is Lucy disappointed when Graham calls her his Silent Shadow?
10. Why is Lucy taking German lessons?
Essay Topic 1
Give three examples of Lucy's attempts or actions taken toward her own independence. How does Lucy's quest for independence mirror or differ from your own? Please give at least two examples of the similarities or differences.
Essay Topic 2
Lucy has significant relationships with both Paulina and Ginevra in the story. The reader can see, in the latter part of the novel, Lucy comparing the characters of Paulina and Ginevra to one another, and declaring one of them a better person than the other. Please compare and contrast Paulina and Ginevra's characters, give examples from the book, then explain which character you like more and why.
Essay Topic 3
The fear of being alone or forgotten seems to haunt Lucy. Give at least three examples of Lucy's fear of being alone and/or forgotten. How did this fear affect certain relationships that Lucy has? How does her fear affect her view of her life? Why do you think this fear exists for Lucy?
This section contains 1,659 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)