|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do M. Paul's college students feel about him?
2. Ginevra and Lucy attend a speech given in honor of the birthday of a young prince. Who is the speaker?
3. When Lucy returns to school, she notices her letters are missing. Who does she think has been looking at these letters?
4. What is the name of the ship that Lucy takes to France?
5. What is the school believed to have been before it was a school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dr. John do when he finds his letter to Lucy in the garret?
2. Why is Lucy taking German lessons?
3. How does Lucy feel about the pink dress?
4. How does Lucy feel about Graham thinking that she is jealous of Ginevra?
5. How does Lucy seem to feel about her vocation being made known to the Bassompierre's?
6. How does Lucy view Paulina when she first comes to stay with the Brettons?
7. How does Lucy feel about to returning to La Rue Fossette after her illness?
8. Why do Ginevra's words that she believed Lucy "a little nobody" not matter to Lucy?
9. How does Lucy respond to Madame Beck's offer for her to teach?
10. How does the note in the casket describe Lucy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Charlotte Bronte wrote Villette, Gothic Novels were very popular. Please describe the qualifications of what makes a novel a Gothic novel. Provide three examples of elements that are found in Gothic novels and also found in the story of Villette.
Essay Topic 2
As the main character, Lucy's personality traits are exposed and shared with the reader throughout the novel and can be seen through her actions, opinions, and words. Please provide a short list of these character traits, and then pick one quality of Lucy's that you dislike and one quality that you like or admire and explain why you feel the way you feel about these character traits of Lucy's. Please use examples from the book when explaining which character trait you like and which you dislike.
Essay Topic 3
Describe what narration is and what type of narration was used in the story of Villette. Give three examples from the novel of how the use of narration in Villette was essential to the story. Please explain if you liked the type of narration used in Villette--why or why not? If possible, use examples from the story.
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)