|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. We are introduced to Graham early in the story, who is he?
2. Paulina tells Lucy that her cousin Ginevra has told her much about love. What is one thing that Ginevra has told Paulina?
3. What does Dr. John think that the nun is?
4. What does M. de Bassompierre ask Lucy to do for Paulina?
5. What is the one final exam that M. Paul cannot administer because he does not know the subject well enough?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Lucy after Miss Marchmont's death?
2. How does Lucy feel about to returning to La Rue Fossette after her illness?
3. How does Lucy feel about Graham thinking that she is jealous of Ginevra?
4. Describe Rosine.
5. How does Lucy respond to Madame Beck's offer for her to teach?
6. How does Lucy come to be at La Terrasse?
7. Describe Madame Beck's relationship with her children.
8. How does Lucy view Paulina when she first comes to stay with the Brettons?
9. Describe Miss Marchmont.
10. How do Dr. John and Mrs. Bretton become reunited with Mr. Home toward the middle of the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The fear of being alone or forgotten seems to haunt Lucy. Give at least three examples of Lucy's fear of being alone and/or forgotten. How did this fear affect certain relationships that Lucy has? How does her fear affect her view of her life? Why do you think this fear exists for Lucy?
Essay Topic 2
M. Paul and Lucy's relationship is introduced to the reader early in the novel and is an integral part of Lucy's story. Please describe the development of M. Paul and Lucy's relationship from their first encounter through the end of the novel. Please give specific examples from the story to show the various changes or stages in Lucy and M. Paul's relationship. Did any central themes play out through this relationship? If so, which ones?
Essay Topic 3
Do you agree or disagree with this statement: Madame Beck is an antagonist in the story of Villette? Defend your answer in three parts, and use at least one example from the book for each argument.
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)