|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the concert, who does Dr. John say he might give his lottery prize to?
2. Who does Lucy visit after Miss Marchmont dies?
3. What does M. de Bassompierre ask Lucy to do for Paulina?
4. Who's decision gives Lucy the job at Madame Beck's?
5. Lucy is about to read her letter from Dr. John when she sees a dark figure, a nun. What does she forget when she goes to tell Madame Beck and her guests about the nun?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Lucy decide to bury her letters from Dr. John?
2. How does Lucy view Isidore?
3. How is Lucy after Miss Marchmont's death?
4. How does the note in the casket describe Lucy?
5. Why doesn't Lucy like the readings from the "Old Book"?
6. How do Dr. John and Mrs. Bretton become reunited with Mr. Home toward the middle of the book?
7. How does Paulina act when Mr. Home returns to the Bretton's in the beginning of the novel?
8. Describe Miss Marchmont.
9. Describe Madame Beck's relationship with her children.
10. How does Lucy view Paulina when she first comes to stay with the Brettons?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Charlotte Bronte wrote Villette, Gothic Novels were very popular. Please describe the qualifications of what makes a novel a Gothic novel. Provide three examples of elements that are found in Gothic novels and also found in the story of Villette.
Essay Topic 2
Foreshadowing is an element of literature that can be seen in several relationships throughout the novel. Describe the idea of foreshadowing; provide three examples of foreshadowing that can be found in Villette and explain why these examples can be seen as foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the relationship triangle that exists between Paulina, Graham, and Mr. Home. Which relationship holds the most tension? Which person is at the center of the triangle? How does the relationship triangle get resolved toward the end of the novel?
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)