|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 15, Lucy walks into a church and speaks with the priest. What advice does he give her?
2. How does Paulina respond when Mr. Home's leaves in Chapter Three?
3. What color is the new dress that Mrs. Bretton purchases for Lucy?
4. After the play, who scolds Ginevra for being without her shawl?
5. What does Lucy find when she return to her room after leaving the Etude de soir?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lucy view Paulina when she first comes to stay with the Brettons?
2. Why does M. Paul disapprove of Lucy looking at the Cleopatra?
3. How does Lucy seem to feel about her vocation being made known to the Bassompierre's?
4. Why does Lucy get sent to the garret by M. Paul?
5. How do Dr. John and Mrs. Bretton become reunited with Mr. Home toward the middle of the book?
6. What reason does Lucy give Paulina for why she is a teacher?
7. Describe Madame Beck's relationship with her children.
8. Why doesn't Lucy like the readings from the "Old Book"?
9. How does Lucy view Isidore?
10. Why is Lucy taking German lessons?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lucy is considered a dynamic character in the story of Villette. Describe what a dynamic character is and why Lucy fulfills the requirements to be considered a dynamic character. In contrast, explain what a static character is and provide one example of such a character that can be found in the story.
Essay Topic 2
Foreshadowing is an element of literature that can be seen in several relationships throughout the novel. Describe the idea of foreshadowing; provide three examples of foreshadowing that can be found in Villette and explain why these examples can be seen as foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 3
Describe what narration is and what type of narration was used in the story of Villette. Give three examples from the novel of how the use of narration in Villette was essential to the story. Please explain if you liked the type of narration used in Villette--why or why not? If possible, use examples from the story.
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)