|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter Two, how does Paulina act when sitting with the "adults"?
2. According to the doctor, who found Lucy after she had fainted earlier?
3. A fortnight after Lucy's return to school, M. Paul delivers something to her. What is it?
4. Why does Madame Beck seem upset when Dr. John leaves?
5. In Chapter 10, who does Lucy recognize Dr. John to be when he comes to see Fifine?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Lucy like the readings from the "Old Book"?
2. What does Dr. John do when he finds his letter to Lucy in the garret?
3. Describe Madame Beck's relationship with her children.
4. Why is Lucy disappointed when Graham calls her his Silent Shadow?
5. How does Lucy come to be at La Terrasse?
6. Why is Lucy taking German lessons?
7. In Chapter 16, how does Mrs. Bretton react to seeing her goddaughter again?
8. Why do Ginevra's words that she believed Lucy "a little nobody" not matter to Lucy?
9. How does Lucy feel about to returning to La Rue Fossette after her illness?
10. Why does Lucy get sent to the garret by M. Paul?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe what narration is and what type of narration was used in the story of Villette. Give three examples from the novel of how the use of narration in Villette was essential to the story. Please explain if you liked the type of narration used in Villette--why or why not? If possible, use examples from the story.
Essay Topic 2
The theme of womanhood is prevalent throughout the novel with two main types of womanhood being illustrated through the characters of Paulina and Ginevra. Describe the different types womanhood that these characters represent by using examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
The fear of being alone or forgotten seems to haunt Lucy. Give at least three examples of Lucy's fear of being alone and/or forgotten. How did this fear affect certain relationships that Lucy has? How does her fear affect her view of her life? Why do you think this fear exists for Lucy?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)