|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Mrs. Bretton mentions to M. de Bassompierre that Lucy is a teacher, how does Lucy feel?
2. When Miss Fanshawe comes to speak with Lucy in her classroom, what is she pleased to hear?
3. How does Lucy feel her first night in London?
4. Why does Madame Beck seem upset when Dr. John leaves?
5. What nickname does Graham tend to call Lucy?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Paulina act when Mr. Home returns to the Bretton's in the beginning of the novel?
2. Why doesn't Lucy like the readings from the "Old Book"?
3. How is Lucy after Miss Marchmont's death?
4. How does Lucy feel about Graham thinking that she is jealous of Ginevra?
5. How does Lucy feel about the pink dress?
6. Why does Lucy decide to bury her letters from Dr. John?
7. How does Lucy come to be at La Terrasse?
8. How is Lucy's voyage to France?
9. Why does Lucy get sent to the garret by M. Paul?
10. What happens to Lucy as she is looking for the inn in Villette?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Foreshadowing is an element of literature that can be seen in several relationships throughout the novel. Describe the idea of foreshadowing; provide three examples of foreshadowing that can be found in Villette and explain why these examples can be seen as foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the relationship triangle that exists between Paulina, Graham, and Mr. Home. Which relationship holds the most tension? Which person is at the center of the triangle? How does the relationship triangle get resolved toward the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Religion is a theme seen throughout the novel. Explain the role that religion play in the following settings/relationships:
a) Between Lucy and her students.
b) In Lucy's relationship with M. Paul.
c) In how others in France (e.g., Pire Silas, Madame Beck) view Lucy.
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)