|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the doctor, who found Lucy after she had fainted earlier?
2. After the play, who scolds Ginevra for being without her shawl?
3. When Lucy sees that her letters have been rifled through once again, what does she do?
4. Several weeks after the theater fire, Lucy has not seen the Brettons. What have they been doing?
5. Lucy goes into the alley to the nun's tree. While she is there, what does she see
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dr. John do when he finds his letter to Lucy in the garret?
2. Why does Lucy decide to bury her letters from Dr. John?
3. Describe Miss Marchmont.
4. How does Lucy feel about Graham thinking that she is jealous of Ginevra?
5. Why is Lucy disappointed when Graham calls her his Silent Shadow?
6. How does Paulina act when Mr. Home returns to the Bretton's in the beginning of the novel?
7. Describe Madame Beck's relationship with her children.
8. Describe Paulina and Graham's relationship at the beginning of the book.
9. What advice does the priest give Lucy in Chapter 15?
10. How do Dr. John and Mrs. Bretton become reunited with Mr. Home toward the middle of the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the relationship triangle that exists between Paulina, Graham, and Mr. Home. Which relationship holds the most tension? Which person is at the center of the triangle? How does the relationship triangle get resolved toward the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
The fear of being alone or forgotten seems to haunt Lucy. Give at least three examples of Lucy's fear of being alone and/or forgotten. How did this fear affect certain relationships that Lucy has? How does her fear affect her view of her life? Why do you think this fear exists for Lucy?
Essay Topic 3
M. Paul and Lucy's relationship is introduced to the reader early in the novel and is an integral part of Lucy's story. Please describe the development of M. Paul and Lucy's relationship from their first encounter through the end of the novel. Please give specific examples from the story to show the various changes or stages in Lucy and M. Paul's relationship. Did any central themes play out through this relationship? If so, which ones?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)