|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What dark and quiet place does Lucy like to spend time alone at?
2. Lucy must administer the exam that M. Paul cannot. How does she feel about this?
3. Who interrupts Lucy as she gazes at the Cleopatra?
4. How do the parents seem to initially react when they hear that a doctor they do not know was called to look after their children?
5. Miss Marchmont mentions "Frank", who is Frank?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Lucy disappointed when Graham calls her his Silent Shadow?
2. How does Lucy view Paulina when she first comes to stay with the Brettons?
3. Why is Paulina afraid to tell her father that she is in love with Graham?
4. Why does Madame Beck send Lucy on the errand to Madame Walravens?
5. How do Dr. John and Mrs. Bretton become reunited with Mr. Home toward the middle of the book?
6. How does Lucy feel about Graham thinking that she is jealous of Ginevra?
7. Describe Rosine.
8. What does Dr. John do when he finds his letter to Lucy in the garret?
9. What advice does the priest give Lucy in Chapter 15?
10. Why does Lucy deny that she has feelings for Dr. John?
Essay Topic 1
Describe the relationship triangle that exists between Paulina, Graham, and Mr. Home. Which relationship holds the most tension? Which person is at the center of the triangle? How does the relationship triangle get resolved toward the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
In the early chapters of the book we find Lucy alone and hopeless. At the end of the book we find Lucy still somewhat alone, but no longer hopeless. Who or what plays a role in Lucy moving from a place of hopelessness to a place of hope? Describe how Lucy gains hope throughout her journey in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Do you agree or disagree with this statement: Madame Beck is an antagonist in the story of Villette? Defend your answer in three parts, and use at least one example from the book for each argument.
This section contains 1,636 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)