Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. A fortnight after Lucy's return to school, M. Paul delivers something to her. What is it?
2. Why does Lucy regularly visit the hotel?
3. What does M. de Bassompierre ask Lucy to do for Paulina?
4. What does Lucy win at the lottery?
5. How does Lucy view Paulina now that she is older?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Miss Marchmont.
2. How does Ginevra's uncle respond to her elopement?
3. What reason does Lucy give Paulina for why she is a teacher?
4. How does Lucy view Paulina when she first comes to stay with the Brettons?
5. How do others feel about M. Paul and Lucy's relationship in light of their differing religious views?
6. Why does M. Paul disapprove of Lucy looking at the Cleopatra?
7. Why does Lucy decide to bury her letters from Dr. John?
8. How does Lucy feel about Pire Silas when she is first interacting with him?
9. How does Paulina act when Mr. Home returns to the Bretton's in the beginning of the novel?
10. How does M. Paul respond to Lucy's jealousy about Justine Marie?
Religion is a theme seen throughout the novel. Explain the role that religion play in the following settings/relationships:
a) Between Lucy and her students.
b) In Lucy's relationship with M. Paul.
c) In how others in France (e.g., Pire Silas, Madame Beck) view Lucy.
M. Paul and Lucy's relationship is introduced to the reader early in the novel and is an integral part of Lucy's story. Please describe the development of M. Paul and Lucy's relationship from their first encounter through the end of the novel. Please give specific examples from the story to show the various changes or stages in Lucy and M. Paul's relationship. Did any central themes play out through this relationship? If so, which ones?
The fear of being alone or forgotten seems to haunt Lucy. Give at least three examples of Lucy's fear of being alone and/or forgotten. How did this fear affect certain relationships that Lucy has? How does her fear affect her view of her life? Why do you think this fear exists for Lucy?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)