|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What dark and quiet place does Lucy like to spend time alone at?
2. How does Lucy feel when Madame Beck asks her if she can teach a class?
3. What does Dr. John think that the nun is?
4. Who interrupts Lucy as she gazes at the Cleopatra?
5. When Ginevra and Lucy are going to the speech, what comment does Ginevra make about her and Lucy both going to visit the de Bassompierre's?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lucy seem to feel about her vocation being made known to the Bassompierre's?
2. Why is Lucy taking German lessons?
3. How does Lucy respond to Madame Beck's offer for her to teach?
4. How does Paulina act when Mr. Home returns to the Bretton's in the beginning of the novel?
5. How is Lucy after Miss Marchmont's death?
6. How does Lucy view Paulina when she first comes to stay with the Brettons?
7. What reason does Lucy give Paulina for why she is a teacher?
8. Why does Lucy get sent to the garret by M. Paul?
9. How does Lucy feel about to returning to La Rue Fossette after her illness?
10. Why doesn't Lucy like the readings from the "Old Book"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Foreshadowing is an element of literature that can be seen in several relationships throughout the novel. Describe the idea of foreshadowing; provide three examples of foreshadowing that can be found in Villette and explain why these examples can be seen as foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
Religion is a theme seen throughout the novel. Explain the role that religion play in the following settings/relationships:
a) Between Lucy and her students.
b) In Lucy's relationship with M. Paul.
c) In how others in France (e.g., Pire Silas, Madame Beck) view Lucy.
Essay Topic 3
Both M. Paul and Graham are friends of Lucy's, but they both interpret her character in different ways. Describe how both M. Paul and Graham see Lucy. Which man do you think truly knows Lucy's real character? What makes you feel this way? Please use examples from the book to defend your point of view.
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)