|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lucy is about to read her letter from Dr. John when she sees a dark figure, a nun. What does she forget when she goes to tell Madame Beck and her guests about the nun?
2. What is the name of the ship that Lucy takes to France?
3. How does Lucy respond to her conversation with Dr. John and his accusations of jealousy?
4. Who is the actress in the play that impresses Lucy with her drama and passion?
5. What does Lucy say in response to all of Dr. John's ravings about his object of affection?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lucy feel about Graham thinking that she is jealous of Ginevra?
2. How is Lucy's voyage to France?
3. Why does Lucy deny that she has feelings for Dr. John?
4. How does Lucy seem to feel about her vocation being made known to the Bassompierre's?
5. What reason does Lucy give Paulina for why she is a teacher?
6. Why do Ginevra's words that she believed Lucy "a little nobody" not matter to Lucy?
7. How does Lucy view Isidore?
8. Why does M. Paul disapprove of Lucy looking at the Cleopatra?
9. How does the note in the casket describe Lucy?
10. Why does Lucy get sent to the garret by M. Paul?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the relationship triangle that exists between Paulina, Graham, and Mr. Home. Which relationship holds the most tension? Which person is at the center of the triangle? How does the relationship triangle get resolved toward the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
The fear of being alone or forgotten seems to haunt Lucy. Give at least three examples of Lucy's fear of being alone and/or forgotten. How did this fear affect certain relationships that Lucy has? How does her fear affect her view of her life? Why do you think this fear exists for Lucy?
Essay Topic 3
Foreshadowing is an element of literature that can be seen in several relationships throughout the novel. Describe the idea of foreshadowing; provide three examples of foreshadowing that can be found in Villette and explain why these examples can be seen as foreshadowing.
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)