Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. A fortnight after Lucy's return to school, M. Paul delivers something to her. What is it?
2. Why does Lucy regularly visit the hotel?
3. What does M. de Bassompierre ask Lucy to do for Paulina?
4. What does Lucy win at the lottery?
5. How does Lucy view Paulina now that she is older?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Miss Marchmont.
2. How does Ginevra's uncle respond to her elopement?
3. What reason does Lucy give Paulina for why she is a teacher?
4. How does Lucy view Paulina when she first comes to stay with the Brettons?
5. How do others feel about M. Paul and Lucy's relationship in light of their differing religious views?
6. Why does M. Paul disapprove of Lucy looking at the Cleopatra?
7. Why does Lucy decide to bury her letters from Dr. John?
8. How does Lucy feel about Pire Silas when she is first interacting with him?
9. How does Paulina act when Mr. Home returns to the Bretton's in the beginning of the novel?
10. How does M. Paul respond to Lucy's jealousy about Justine Marie?
Pick one chapter that you believe contains a pivotal moment in Lucy's life and could have changed the course of her story. Why do you feel this chapter was so crucial to Lucy's story? What other choices could she have made at that point? Would those choices have drastically changed the course of her story? Please use examples or quotes from the chapter you choose.
The literary element of conflict is found throughout Lucy's story. Please define conflict as a literary function. Describe the following three types of conflict and give one example from the story for each of these types of conflict:
1) Man vs. man.
2) Man vs. self.
3) Man vs. society.
Symbolism is a common occurrence in the story. Please explain the idea of symbolism and explain what a symbol is. Explain why a symbol may be seen negatively by one group or individual and positively by another group or individual. Choose one example from the story and explain how this example displays symbolism.
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)