|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Lucy sees that her letters have been rifled through once again, what does she do?
2. In Chapter Four, Lucy leaves the Brettons. Why?
3. After Mr. Home's leaves, who becomes Paulina's new object of affection?
4. Where does Lucy go to read her letter from Dr. John?
5. A fortnight after Lucy's return to school, M. Paul delivers something to her. What is it?
Short Essay Questions
1. What shift do we see in M. Paul and Lucy's relationship while they are in the country for breakfast?
2. Why does M. Paul have a study at the boys' college?
3. How is Lucy after Miss Marchmont's death?
4. How does Lucy seem to feel about her vocation being made known to the Bassompierre's?
5. What does Dr. John do when he finds his letter to Lucy in the garret?
6. How does Ginevra's uncle respond to her elopement?
7. How does Lucy view Isidore?
8. How do Dr. John and Mrs. Bretton become reunited with Mr. Home toward the middle of the book?
9. Describe Rosine.
10. How did M. Paul keep his promise to the students and teachers of La Rue Fossette?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Foreshadowing is an element of literature that can be seen in several relationships throughout the novel. Describe the idea of foreshadowing; provide three examples of foreshadowing that can be found in Villette and explain why these examples can be seen as foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
Give three examples of Lucy's attempts or actions taken toward her own independence. How does Lucy's quest for independence mirror or differ from your own? Please give at least two examples of the similarities or differences.
Essay Topic 3
Paulina and Lucy are close friends by the end of the novel; however, their life experiences are drastically different. Compare Lucy and Paulina's character traits. Compare and contrast Lucy and Paulina's life circumstances? What about Lucy and Paulina's characters seem to draw them into friendship?
This section contains 1,617 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)