Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. A fortnight after Lucy's return to school, M. Paul delivers something to her. What is it?
2. Why does Lucy regularly visit the hotel?
3. What does M. de Bassompierre ask Lucy to do for Paulina?
4. What does Lucy win at the lottery?
5. How does Lucy view Paulina now that she is older?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Miss Marchmont.
2. How does Ginevra's uncle respond to her elopement?
3. What reason does Lucy give Paulina for why she is a teacher?
4. How does Lucy view Paulina when she first comes to stay with the Brettons?
5. How do others feel about M. Paul and Lucy's relationship in light of their differing religious views?
6. Why does M. Paul disapprove of Lucy looking at the Cleopatra?
7. Why does Lucy decide to bury her letters from Dr. John?
8. How does Lucy feel about Pire Silas when she is first interacting with him?
9. How does Paulina act when Mr. Home returns to the Bretton's in the beginning of the novel?
10. How does M. Paul respond to Lucy's jealousy about Justine Marie?
Religion is a theme seen throughout the novel. Explain the role that religion play in the following settings/relationships:
a) Between Lucy and her students.
b) In Lucy's relationship with M. Paul.
c) In how others in France (e.g., Pire Silas, Madame Beck) view Lucy.
Paulina and Lucy are close friends by the end of the novel; however, their life experiences are drastically different. Compare Lucy and Paulina's character traits. Compare and contrast Lucy and Paulina's life circumstances? What about Lucy and Paulina's characters seem to draw them into friendship?
The theme of womanhood is prevalent throughout the novel with two main types of womanhood being illustrated through the characters of Paulina and Ginevra. Describe the different types womanhood that these characters represent by using examples from the book.
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)