Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. A fortnight after Lucy's return to school, M. Paul delivers something to her. What is it?
2. Why does Lucy regularly visit the hotel?
3. What does M. de Bassompierre ask Lucy to do for Paulina?
4. What does Lucy win at the lottery?
5. How does Lucy view Paulina now that she is older?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Miss Marchmont.
2. How does Ginevra's uncle respond to her elopement?
3. What reason does Lucy give Paulina for why she is a teacher?
4. How does Lucy view Paulina when she first comes to stay with the Brettons?
5. How do others feel about M. Paul and Lucy's relationship in light of their differing religious views?
6. Why does M. Paul disapprove of Lucy looking at the Cleopatra?
7. Why does Lucy decide to bury her letters from Dr. John?
8. How does Lucy feel about Pire Silas when she is first interacting with him?
9. How does Paulina act when Mr. Home returns to the Bretton's in the beginning of the novel?
10. How does M. Paul respond to Lucy's jealousy about Justine Marie?
Essay Topic 1
Do you agree or disagree with this statement: Madame Beck is an antagonist in the story of Villette? Defend your answer in three parts, and use at least one example from the book for each argument.
Essay Topic 2
Describe what narration is and what type of narration was used in the story of Villette. Give three examples from the novel of how the use of narration in Villette was essential to the story. Please explain if you liked the type of narration used in Villette--why or why not? If possible, use examples from the story.
Essay Topic 3
The theme of womanhood is prevalent throughout the novel with two main types of womanhood being illustrated through the characters of Paulina and Ginevra. Describe the different types womanhood that these characters represent by using examples from the book.
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)