|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who interrupts Lucy as she gazes at the Cleopatra?
2. What words best describe Ginevra?
3. Lucy is about to read her letter from Dr. John when she sees a dark figure, a nun. What does she forget when she goes to tell Madame Beck and her guests about the nun?
4. What disaster happens during the play that leads to the patrons being evacuated from the hall?
5. Where does M. Paul take Lucy so that she can practice for the play?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Paulina and Graham's relationship at the beginning of the book.
2. How does Lucy view Paulina when she first comes to stay with the Brettons?
3. Why does Lucy decide to bury her letters from Dr. John?
4. What advice does the priest give Lucy in Chapter 15?
5. How does Lucy respond to Madame Beck's offer for her to teach?
6. Why do Ginevra's words that she believed Lucy "a little nobody" not matter to Lucy?
7. Describe Miss Marchmont.
8. What does Dr. John do when he finds his letter to Lucy in the garret?
9. What reason does Lucy give Paulina for why she is a teacher?
10. How does the note in the casket describe Lucy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The literary element of conflict is found throughout Lucy's story. Please define conflict as a literary function. Describe the following three types of conflict and give one example from the story for each of these types of conflict:
1) Man vs. man.
2) Man vs. self.
3) Man vs. society.
Essay Topic 2
Lucy has significant relationships with both Paulina and Ginevra in the story. The reader can see, in the latter part of the novel, Lucy comparing the characters of Paulina and Ginevra to one another, and declaring one of them a better person than the other. Please compare and contrast Paulina and Ginevra's characters, give examples from the book, then explain which character you like more and why.
Essay Topic 3
Give three examples of Lucy's attempts or actions taken toward her own independence. How does Lucy's quest for independence mirror or differ from your own? Please give at least two examples of the similarities or differences.
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)