|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Graham inquire after to Lucy?
2. Where does Lucy go to read her letter from Dr. John?
3. What is the name of Dr. John's home?
4. What does Mr. Home's letter to Mrs. Bretton say?
5. Who is Lucy Snowe?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Lucy's voyage to France?
2. Why does Lucy deny that she has feelings for Dr. John?
3. How do Dr. John and Mrs. Bretton become reunited with Mr. Home toward the middle of the book?
4. How does Lucy view Paulina when she first comes to stay with the Brettons?
5. How does Lucy seem to feel about her vocation being made known to the Bassompierre's?
6. How does Paulina act when Mr. Home returns to the Bretton's in the beginning of the novel?
7. Why does Lucy get sent to the garret by M. Paul?
8. Describe Madame Beck's relationship with her children.
9. How does Lucy come to be at La Terrasse?
10. What happens to Lucy as she is looking for the inn in Villette?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the relationship triangle that exists between Paulina, Graham, and Mr. Home. Which relationship holds the most tension? Which person is at the center of the triangle? How does the relationship triangle get resolved toward the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
In the early chapters of the book we find Lucy alone and hopeless. At the end of the book we find Lucy still somewhat alone, but no longer hopeless. Who or what plays a role in Lucy moving from a place of hopelessness to a place of hope? Describe how Lucy gains hope throughout her journey in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
The literary element of conflict is found throughout Lucy's story. Please define conflict as a literary function. Describe the following three types of conflict and give one example from the story for each of these types of conflict:
1) Man vs. man.
2) Man vs. self.
3) Man vs. society.
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)