|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Several weeks after the theater fire, Lucy has not seen the Brettons. What have they been doing?
2. Lucy is about to read her letter from Dr. John when she sees a dark figure, a nun. What does she forget when she goes to tell Madame Beck and her guests about the nun?
3. What color is the new dress that Mrs. Bretton purchases for Lucy?
4. What nickname does Graham tend to call Lucy?
5. Dysirye, Madame Beck's eldest daughter, is...
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Dr. John and Mrs. Bretton become reunited with Mr. Home toward the middle of the book?
2. In Chapter 16, how does Mrs. Bretton react to seeing her goddaughter again?
3. What does Dr. John do when he finds his letter to Lucy in the garret?
4. What reason does Lucy give Paulina for why she is a teacher?
5. Why do Ginevra's words that she believed Lucy "a little nobody" not matter to Lucy?
6. How does Lucy seem to feel about her vocation being made known to the Bassompierre's?
7. How does Lucy view Paulina when she first comes to stay with the Brettons?
8. Describe Miss Marchmont.
9. Why does M. Paul disapprove of Lucy looking at the Cleopatra?
10. What happens to Lucy as she is looking for the inn in Villette?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Religion is a theme seen throughout the novel. Explain the role that religion play in the following settings/relationships:
a) Between Lucy and her students.
b) In Lucy's relationship with M. Paul.
c) In how others in France (e.g., Pire Silas, Madame Beck) view Lucy.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the relationship triangle that exists between Paulina, Graham, and Mr. Home. Which relationship holds the most tension? Which person is at the center of the triangle? How does the relationship triangle get resolved toward the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Do you agree or disagree with this statement: Madame Beck is an antagonist in the story of Villette? Defend your answer in three parts, and use at least one example from the book for each argument.
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)