|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Messieurs Boissec and Rochemorte ask Lucy to write an essay about?
(a) Human justice.
(c) Right and wrong.
(d) The social role of women.
2. In Chapter 27, M. Paul stops to speak to Lucy after he has read to the students for the night. What does he say to her?
(a) He very much likes Lucy.
(b) He is sorry for all that he has done.
(c) She is the best at making herself unpleasant.
(d) She is not a very pretty woman.
3. Who is afraid to take messages to M. Paul because of his temper issues?
(a) Madame Beck.
(d) Dr. John.
4. When Lucy finds out about M. Paul's generous care of Madame Walravens, what does she think?
(a) She thinks it is pitiful.
(b) She does not understand why he does it.
(c) She thinks it is silly.
(d) She realizes that M. Paul can truly love.
5. Two associates from the college are at La Rue Fossette to test Lucy. Why?
(a) Because Lucy wanted to be tested.
(b) Because M. Paul wants Lucy to leave .
(c) Because Lucy wants to be in college.
(d) Because of an essay M. Paul gave them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What teacher leaves the school because of M. Paul and his fussing?
2. In Chapter 41, M. Paul comes back to the Rue Fossette to say goodbye to Lucy. What is his reaction when he first sees her?
3. Who does Lucy see when she sneaks off at night to the Haute-Ville for the fete night celebration?
4. Why does M. Paul tell Lucy that people think that she is dangerous for him?
5. When Lucy speaks with M. de Bassompierre about Paulina and Dr. Bretton's feelings for one another, what does she say to try to encourage M. de Bassompierre?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are three things that Lucy does in the three years M. Paul is gone?
2. What rumors has Lucy heard that may be the reason behind M. Paul's departure from Europe?
3. Madame Beck tells Lucy she cannot marry M. Paul. Why does Lucy think Madame Beck is saying this?
4. Why did M. Paul drive Madame Panache out of La Rue Fossette?
5. How do others feel about M. Paul and Lucy's relationship in light of their differing religious views?
6. Does Lucy believe that the older Paulina is a good person?
7. How does M. Paul respond to Lucy breaking his glasses?
8. Lucy closes the book letting her readers know that M. Paul is expected in November and letting the reader know of the many storms that have claimed lives in the seas. What is one ending regarding Lucy and M. Paul the reader can infer?
9. Why doesn't Lucy give M. Paul his watchguard at first?
10. What shift do we see in M. Paul and Lucy's relationship while they are in the country for breakfast?
This section contains 931 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)