|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When everyone else at the school seems to be afraid of M. Paul and his temper, who is the one person who seems to challenge him?
(a) Mr. Home.
(c) Mrs. Bretton.
2. While Lucy is walking alone through the park on an April day, who does she spy?
(a) Dr. Bretton and Ginevra.
(b) de Hamal and Ginevra.
(c) M. Paul and Zylie.
(d) The de Bassompierre's and Dr. Bretton.
3. What part of her new school does Lucy decide to dedicate to M. Paul while he is away?
(a) Her classroom.
(b) The dining hall.
(c) The library.
(d) The study room.
4. Paulina takes something from both her father and Graham to put into her locket. What does she put in her locket?
(a) A swatch of fabric.
(b) Locks of hair.
(c) Finger nail clippings.
(d) Pictures of both men.
5. How does Lucy respond to hearing about Graham and Paulina's love for each other?
(a) She tells Paulina that it is right.
(b) She becomes angry with Paulina.
(c) She is disappointed because she wanted Graham.
(d) She is very jealous.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Madame Beck make Lucy stay upstairs translating a letter on M. Paul's last day?
2. How does Lucy respond to the comments from Messieurs Boissec and Rochemorte as they are testing her?
3. When Lucy speaks with M. de Bassompierre about Paulina and Dr. Bretton's feelings for one another, what does she say to try to encourage M. de Bassompierre?
4. M. Paul suggests that Lucy take the public examination with the first class students. How does Lucy respond?
5. During the second year that Lucy is running her own school, what gift does she unexpectedly receive from a relative of Miss Marchmont?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does M. Paul respond to Lucy breaking his glasses?
2. How do others feel about M. Paul and Lucy's relationship in light of their differing religious views?
3. Why doesn't Lucy give M. Paul his watchguard at first?
4. In Chapter 31, Lucy is trying to create a plan to gain more independence, what is her plan?
5. What are three things that Lucy does in the three years M. Paul is gone?
6. What shift do we see in M. Paul and Lucy's relationship while they are in the country for breakfast?
7. Why is Lucy hesitant to let M. Paul in as a close friend?
8. Describe Madame Walravens.
9. How does Lucy feel about Pire Silas when she is first interacting with him?
10. Lucy sees her friends the Brettons and de Bassompierre's at the fete-night and overhears their conversation. What is said and how does it make Lucy feel?
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)