|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During the second year that Lucy is running her own school, what gift does she unexpectedly receive from a relative of Miss Marchmont?
(a) One hundred pounds.
(b) A library.
(c) A new carriage.
(d) Six new students.
2. What part of her new school does Lucy decide to dedicate to M. Paul while he is away?
(a) The library.
(b) Her classroom.
(c) The dining hall.
(d) The study room.
3. Lucy will never be Catholic. Why?
(a) She does not like the Pope.
(b) Her parents were Protestant.
(c) She does not need religion.
(d) She doesn't believe in the extravagance of the Mass.
4. Lucy decides she will take the note to M. Paul. When she enters his classroom, how does he initially respond?
(a) He calls her a mean name.
(b) He makes her read the note out loud.
(c) He ignores her.
(d) He smiles at her.
5. M. Paul suggests that Lucy take the public examination with the first class students. How does Lucy respond?
(a) She says she has already taken it.
(b) She likes the challenge.
(c) The idea horrifies her.
(d) She wants to take the exam.
Short Answer Questions
1. Later that night, after Lucy has delivered the note to M. Paul, he stops by to read to the students. What does he read to them?
2. Lucy continues to observe Graham and Paulina together. What is Paulina's presence doing for Graham?
3. What excuse does M. Paul give Lucy for not wanting to marry Zylie?
4. What do Messieurs Boissec and Rochemorte ask Lucy to write an essay about?
5. What does M. Paul say when he joins Lucy in the alley and notices her pale coloring?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did M. Paul drive Madame Panache out of La Rue Fossette?
2. How does M. de Bassompierre react when Graham speaks with him about Paulina?
3. When Lucy sees M. Paul arrive at the fete night with Justine Marie, what does she think?
4. Lucy sees her friends the Brettons and de Bassompierre's at the fete-night and overhears their conversation. What is said and how does it make Lucy feel?
5. Why is Paulina afraid to tell her father that she is in love with Graham?
6. How does M. Paul respond to Lucy's jealousy about Justine Marie?
7. Why is Zylie so interested in M. Paul?
8. Why is Lucy hesitant to let M. Paul in as a close friend?
9. How does Lucy feel about Pire Silas when she is first interacting with him?
10. Lucy closes the book letting her readers know that M. Paul is expected in November and letting the reader know of the many storms that have claimed lives in the seas. What is one ending regarding Lucy and M. Paul the reader can infer?
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)