|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Lucy speaks with M. de Bassompierre about Paulina and Dr. Bretton's feelings for one another, what does she say to try to encourage M. de Bassompierre?
(a) That M. de Bassompierre should get remarried as well.
(b) That Graham is a not a gentleman.
(c) It is easier to give Paulina to a friend than a stranger.
(d) That they will get engaged even if he says no.
2. Lucy takes a walk and begins to think about ways to become more independent. What is her idea for independence?
(a) Opening her own shops.
(b) Opening her own school.
(c) Running away to another country.
(d) Getting married.
3. Paulina takes something from both her father and Graham to put into her locket. What does she put in her locket?
(a) Locks of hair.
(b) Pictures of both men.
(c) Finger nail clippings.
(d) A swatch of fabric.
4. Who does Ginevra end up eloping with?
(a) Dr. Bretton.
(b) de Hamal.
(c) Pire Silas.
5. All the students and teacher bring something for M. Paul to celebrate his fete. What do they bring?
(a) A trophy.
(b) A bouquet.
(c) A plaque.
(d) A medallion.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lucy sees Ginevra close to the end of her honeymoon. How does Lucy describe Ginevra at this time?
2. Lucy hits her head on the table while trying to pick up her dropped thimble. What does M. Paul do in response to this?
3. Lucy will never be Catholic. Why?
4. After their big farm breakfast, Lucy and M. Paul sit together under a tree. What is Lucy doing?
5. During the second year that Lucy is running her own school, what gift does she unexpectedly receive from a relative of Miss Marchmont?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does M. Paul respond to Lucy's jealousy about Justine Marie?
2. What rumors has Lucy heard that may be the reason behind M. Paul's departure from Europe?
3. What shift do we see in M. Paul and Lucy's relationship while they are in the country for breakfast?
4. Madame Beck tells Lucy she cannot marry M. Paul. Why does Lucy think Madame Beck is saying this?
5. Describe Madame Walravens.
6. How does Lucy feel about Paulina and Graham's relationship?
7. How does M. de Bassompierre react when Graham speaks with him about Paulina?
8. When M. Paul comes to say farewell to Lucy, in what state does he find her?
9. How do others feel about M. Paul and Lucy's relationship in light of their differing religious views?
10. Why does Madame Beck send Lucy on the errand to Madame Walravens?
This section contains 861 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)