|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Lucy hits her head on the table while trying to pick up her dropped thimble. What does M. Paul do in response to this?
(a) Takes Lucy to the doctor.
(b) Insults English women and heroes.
(c) Goes to comfort Lucy .
(d) Ignores Lucy.
2. M. Paul suggests that Lucy take the public examination with the first class students. How does Lucy respond?
(a) She says she has already taken it.
(b) The idea horrifies her.
(c) She wants to take the exam.
(d) She likes the challenge.
3. Lucy continues to observe Graham and Paulina together. What is Paulina's presence doing for Graham?
(a) Making him distant.
(b) Making him rude to Lucy.
(c) Making him too feminine.
(d) Making him a better man.
4. When everyone else at the school seems to be afraid of M. Paul and his temper, who is the one person who seems to challenge him?
(b) Mr. Home.
(c) Mrs. Bretton.
5. When Paulina tells her father about her love for Graham, how does he respond?
(a) He is glad to get rid of her.
(b) He does not know who Graham is.
(c) He thinks that it is great.
(d) He criticizes Graham.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many years does Lucy tell the reader M. Paul is gone for?
2. All the students and teacher bring something for M. Paul to celebrate his fete. What do they bring?
3. When Lucy finds out about M. Paul's generous care of Madame Walravens, what does she think?
4. How does Lucy respond to the comments from Messieurs Boissec and Rochemorte as they are testing her?
5. Lucy takes a walk and begins to think about ways to become more independent. What is her idea for independence?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Paulina afraid to tell her father that she is in love with Graham?
2. What shift do we see in M. Paul and Lucy's relationship while they are in the country for breakfast?
3. What explanation does Ginevra give Lucy about the nun?
4. Why is Zylie so interested in M. Paul?
5. Lucy sees her friends the Brettons and de Bassompierre's at the fete-night and overhears their conversation. What is said and how does it make Lucy feel?
6. Why doesn't Lucy want to take the public examination?
7. When M. Paul comes to say farewell to Lucy, in what state does he find her?
8. How does M. Paul respond to Lucy breaking his glasses?
9. What are three things that Lucy does in the three years M. Paul is gone?
10. How does Ginevra's uncle respond to her elopement?
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)