|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 41, M. Paul comes back to the Rue Fossette to say goodbye to Lucy. What is his reaction when he first sees her?
(a) He thinks that she looks well and in good spirits.
(b) He realizes that he is glad to leave.
(c) He is not excited to see her.
(d) He is saddened to see that she has been ill and unhappy.
2. What is M. Paul most worried about leaving Lucy at the Rue Fossette when he leaves?
(a) He is worried that Lucy will forget him.
(b) He is worried about her being able to get letters from him.
(c) He is worried about Madame Beck .
(d) He is worried that Lucy will get more ill.
3. Two associates from the college are at La Rue Fossette to test Lucy. Why?
(a) Because M. Paul wants Lucy to leave .
(b) Because Lucy wants to be in college.
(c) Because of an essay M. Paul gave them.
(d) Because Lucy wanted to be tested.
4. When Ginevra's husband leaves the army, where do they go?
(a) They move back to La Rue Fossette.
(b) They live abroad.
(c) They remain in Villette.
(d) They go to another part of France.
5. Lucy hits her head on the table while trying to pick up her dropped thimble. What does M. Paul do in response to this?
(a) Ignores Lucy.
(b) Insults English women and heroes.
(c) Goes to comfort Lucy .
(d) Takes Lucy to the doctor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Lucy wearing the day of the school's breakfast in the country that causes M. Paul to make fun of her?
2. What excuse does M. Paul give Lucy for not wanting to marry Zylie?
3. When Paulina and her father discuss Paulina's love for Graham, what do we learn about Paulina?
4. Right before M. Paul says farewell to Lucy, what does he tell her?
5. Lucy takes a walk and begins to think about ways to become more independent. What is her idea for independence?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Zylie so interested in M. Paul?
2. How did M. Paul keep his promise to the students and teachers of La Rue Fossette?
3. Why doesn't Lucy give M. Paul his watchguard at first?
4. Why doesn't Lucy want to take the public examination?
5. Describe Madame Walravens.
6. Does Lucy believe that the older Paulina is a good person?
7. What are three things that Lucy does in the three years M. Paul is gone?
8. How does Lucy feel about Pire Silas when she is first interacting with him?
9. Lucy closes the book letting her readers know that M. Paul is expected in November and letting the reader know of the many storms that have claimed lives in the seas. What is one ending regarding Lucy and M. Paul the reader can infer?
10. Why is Paulina afraid to tell her father that she is in love with Graham?
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)