|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who's decision gives Lucy the job at Madame Beck's?
(b) Professor M. Paul.
(c) Madame Beck.
(d) A friendly Englishman.
2. Why does Lucy spend so much time with Miss Marchmont in Chapter Four?
(a) Lucy is hired to care for her.
(b) Lucy is her tutor.
(c) She is Lucy's best childhood friend.
(d) She is Lucy's sister.
3. When Lucy sees that her letters have been rifled through once again, what does she do?
(a) Has them sealed in a bottle.
(b) Burns them all.
(c) Locks them in a box.
(d) Hides them under her mattress.
4. We are introduced to Graham early in the story, who is he?
(a) Lucy's brother.
(b) A friend visiting Mrs. Bretton.
(c) Mrs. Bretton's son.
(d) Paulina's father.
5. Who interrupts Lucy as she gazes at the Cleopatra?
(a) Mrs. Bretton.
(b) Dr. John.
(c) Madame Beck.
(d) M. Paul.
Short Answer Questions
1. Dr. John speaks with Lucy about the notes that she found. Who does it seem the notes are for?
2. Who is Isidore?
3. How does Lucy feel when Madame Beck asks her if she can teach a class?
4. Lucy is Protestant and makes comments to the students that Madame Beck does not agree with. Why does she not agree with Lucy's Protestant comments?
5. How do the parents seem to initially react when they hear that a doctor they do not know was called to look after their children?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Lucy like the readings from the "Old Book"?
2. How does Lucy view Paulina when she first comes to stay with the Brettons?
3. How does the note in the casket describe Lucy?
4. How is Lucy's voyage to France?
5. What advice does the priest give Lucy in Chapter 15?
6. How is Lucy after Miss Marchmont's death?
7. How does Lucy feel about Graham thinking that she is jealous of Ginevra?
8. Why does Lucy decide to bury her letters from Dr. John?
9. What happens to Lucy as she is looking for the inn in Villette?
10. Describe Madame Beck's relationship with her children.
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)