|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Lucy returns to the school after her time with the Brettons. Who does she see watching her through the window as she is crying?
(b) Madame Beck.
(c) M. Paul.
(d) Dr. Graham.
2. Who is the actress in the play that impresses Lucy with her drama and passion?
3. What dark and quiet place does Lucy like to spend time alone at?
(a) The Forbidden Alley.
(b) Her room.
(c) The garden.
(d) The basement .
4. What happens to Fifine to cause the doctor to have to be called?
(a) She is very ill .
(b) She has a tooth ache.
(c) She falls and hurts her arm.
(d) She is pretending to be sick.
5. A fortnight after Lucy's return to school, M. Paul delivers something to her. What is it?
(a) A letter.
(b) A new hat.
(c) A bottle of medicine.
(d) A book.
Short Answer Questions
1. From the interaction between Graham and Paulina at the Terrace, what doe Lucy infer?
2. When Miss Fanshawe comes to speak with Lucy in her classroom, what is she pleased to hear?
3. How does Paulina respond when Mr. Home's leaves in Chapter Three?
4. Who does Graham seem to think Lucy is jealous of?
5. Who is Isidore?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Lucy like the readings from the "Old Book"?
2. How does Paulina act when Mr. Home returns to the Bretton's in the beginning of the novel?
3. In Chapter 16, how does Mrs. Bretton react to seeing her goddaughter again?
4. What advice does the priest give Lucy in Chapter 15?
5. How is Lucy after Miss Marchmont's death?
6. Why does Lucy decide to bury her letters from Dr. John?
7. How do Dr. John and Mrs. Bretton become reunited with Mr. Home toward the middle of the book?
8. How does Lucy view Paulina when she first comes to stay with the Brettons?
9. Describe Miss Marchmont.
10. How does Lucy respond to Madame Beck's offer for her to teach?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)