|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 13, Lucy is in the Etude de soir for the evening to study but soon leaves, why does she leave?
(a) She does not need to study.
(b) It is time for her to go to bed.
(c) She hates the book of lectures.
(d) It is dinner time.
2. In Chapter 16, when Dr. John comes to the house, who does Lucy finally recognize him to be?
(a) Alfred de Hamal.
(c) M. Paul.
3. Why does Lucy decide to go to Villette?
(a) Ginevra mentions she might teach there.
(b) She has friends in that city.
(c) She has always wanted to go to Villette.
(d) The Watson's have invited her to go with them.
4. How does Lucy feel her first night in London?
(a) Curious and ready for adventure.
(c) Happy and calm.
(d) Scared and overwhelmed.
5. When Ginevra and Lucy are going to the speech, what comment does Ginevra make about her and Lucy both going to visit the de Bassompierre's?
(a) She thinks Lucy is trying to steal Paulina's attention.
(b) She really does not like the de Bassompierre's.
(c) She thinks it is funny; she thought Lucy was a nobody.
(d) She is glad because she really likes Lucy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What dark and quiet place does Lucy like to spend time alone at?
2. Lucy goes into the alley to the nun's tree. While she is there, what does she see
3. Ginevra and Lucy attend a speech given in honor of the birthday of a young prince. Who is the speaker?
4. From the interaction between Graham and Paulina at the Terrace, what doe Lucy infer?
5. Why does Lucy spend so much time with Miss Marchmont in Chapter Four?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Miss Marchmont.
2. Why do Ginevra's words that she believed Lucy "a little nobody" not matter to Lucy?
3. How does the note in the casket describe Lucy?
4. What advice does the priest give Lucy in Chapter 15?
5. Why does Lucy decide to bury her letters from Dr. John?
6. What reason does Lucy give Paulina for why she is a teacher?
7. How does Paulina act when Mr. Home returns to the Bretton's in the beginning of the novel?
8. How does Lucy feel about to returning to La Rue Fossette after her illness?
9. Why does Lucy deny that she has feelings for Dr. John?
10. What does Dr. John do when he finds his letter to Lucy in the garret?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)