|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What disaster happens during the play that leads to the patrons being evacuated from the hall?
(a) An earthquake .
(b) Lucy faints.
(c) A fire breaks out.
(d) Someone gets sick.
2. Who does Lucy visit after Miss Marchmont dies?
(b) Her family.
(c) Mrs. Bretton.
(d) Mrs. Barrett.
3. In Chapter 13, Lucy is in the Etude de soir for the evening to study but soon leaves, why does she leave?
(a) She hates the book of lectures.
(b) She does not need to study.
(c) It is time for her to go to bed.
(d) It is dinner time.
4. How does Lucy respond to her conversation with Dr. John and his accusations of jealousy?
(a) She cries and leaves.
(b) She loses her temper.
(c) She gets embarrased because she is jealous.
(d) She says nothing.
5. Who's decision gives Lucy the job at Madame Beck's?
(a) A friendly Englishman.
(b) Professor M. Paul.
(c) Madame Beck.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Miss Fanshawe comes to speak with Lucy in her classroom, what is she pleased to hear?
2. What does M. de Bassompierre ask Lucy to do for Paulina?
3. In Chapter 16, when Dr. John comes to the house, who does Lucy finally recognize him to be?
4. Dr. John speaks with Lucy about the notes that she found. Who does it seem the notes are for?
5. When Lucy returns to school, she notices her letters are missing. Who does she think has been looking at these letters?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Paulina and Graham's relationship at the beginning of the book.
2. How do Dr. John and Mrs. Bretton become reunited with Mr. Home toward the middle of the book?
3. Why is Lucy disappointed when Graham calls her his Silent Shadow?
4. Describe Rosine.
5. How is Lucy's voyage to France?
6. How does the note in the casket describe Lucy?
7. Why doesn't Lucy like the readings from the "Old Book"?
8. Why does M. Paul disapprove of Lucy looking at the Cleopatra?
9. In Chapter 16, how does Mrs. Bretton react to seeing her goddaughter again?
10. How does Lucy view Paulina when she first comes to stay with the Brettons?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)