|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many years does Lucy tell the reader M. Paul is gone for?
(b) Two .
2. In Chapter 41, M. Paul comes back to the Rue Fossette to say goodbye to Lucy. What is his reaction when he first sees her?
(a) He is saddened to see that she has been ill and unhappy.
(b) He thinks that she looks well and in good spirits.
(c) He is not excited to see her.
(d) He realizes that he is glad to leave.
3. Who secretly leaves books and pamphlets in Lucy's desk for her to read?
(b) M. Paul.
(d) Madame Beck.
4. While M. Paul is gone he writes letters to Lucy, what does he say about her religion?
(a) That she should remain Protestant.
(b) That he realizes Protestantism is the only way.
(c) That Lucy is silly for being Protestant.
(d) The Lucy should become Catholic like him.
5. What languages does M. Paul think Lucy secretly knows?
(a) Spanish and Latin.
(b) Swedish and Spanish.
(c) Latin and Greek.
(d) Greek and Swedish.
6. Paulina asks Lucy her opinion of Graham. What does Lucy say about Graham?
(a) He is rude.
(b) He is a kind man.
(c) He does not like Paulina.
(d) He is too quiet.
7. What teacher leaves the school because of M. Paul and his fussing?
(a) Madame Beck.
(c) Madame Panache.
8. What gift did Lucy take time making for M. Paul?
(a) A painting.
(b) A cake.
(c) A card.
(d) A watchguard.
9. Why does Madame Beck make Lucy stay upstairs translating a letter on M. Paul's last day?
(a) Because Lucy is getting sick.
(b) To make life easier on M. Paul.
(c) To try to keep her from saying goodbye.
(d) Because the letter needs to be translated immediately.
10. How does Madame Walravens respond to Madame Beck's gift?
(a) She tell Lucy to take it back.
(b) She throws it out the window.
(c) She loves it.
(d) She does not know who Madame Beck is.
11. Lucy sees Ginevra close to the end of her honeymoon. How does Lucy describe Ginevra at this time?
(a) Beautiful and happy.
(b) Regretting her elopment.
(c) Happy but very tired.
(d) Scared to be a wife.
12. How does M. Paul react when he receives Lucy's gift for his fete-day?
(a) He does not care either way.
(b) He is very pleased.
(c) He does not like it .
(d) He is embarrassed.
13. Madame Beck tells Lucy that M. Paul cannot marry. How does Lucy respond to this?
(a) She says Madame Beck just wants him for herself.
(b) She says that she understands.
(c) She tells Madame Beck that they are already married.
(d) She says she does not even like M. Paul.
14. Lucy hits her head on the table while trying to pick up her dropped thimble. What does M. Paul do in response to this?
(a) Goes to comfort Lucy .
(b) Ignores Lucy.
(c) Takes Lucy to the doctor.
(d) Insults English women and heroes.
15. Why is Paulina nervous to tell her father about her love for Dr. Bretton?
(a) She is afraid of her father.
(b) Her father does not want her to marry.
(c) She does not want to hurt him.
(d) Her father does not like Dr. Bretton.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Lucy wearing the day of the school's breakfast in the country that causes M. Paul to make fun of her?
2. What does M. Paul say when he joins Lucy in the alley and notices her pale coloring?
3. Paulina takes something from both her father and Graham to put into her locket. What does she put in her locket?
4. Why is M. Paul leaving Europe?
5. When everyone else at the school seems to be afraid of M. Paul and his temper, who is the one person who seems to challenge him?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)