|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. M. Paul is leaving Europe to go where?
(c) South Africa.
(d) North America.
2. What is the Faubourg Clotilde?
(a) The boat that will carry M. Paul to his new destination.
(b) The new school that M. Paul has opened for Lucy.
(c) The city next to Villette .
(d) Graham and Paulina's new home.
3. What is Lucy wearing the day of the school's breakfast in the country that causes M. Paul to make fun of her?
(a) Pointy shoes.
(b) A feathery hat.
(c) A pink dress.
(d) A boring shawl.
4. Who works with Madame Beck to tell Lucy about M. Paul's situation with Madame Walravens?
(a) Pire Silas.
(b) M. Paul.
(d) Dr. Graham.
5. Who does Lucy find out is responsible for taking care of Madame Walravens financially?
(a) Dr. Bretton.
(b) de Hamal.
(c) M. Paul.
(d) Mr. Homes.
6. What teacher leaves the school because of M. Paul and his fussing?
(c) Madame Panache.
(d) Madame Beck.
7. In Chapter 36, Lucy finds a lilac pamphlet in her desk. What is the pamphlet about?
(a) Women's rights.
(c) Human rights.
8. Paulina asks Lucy her opinion of Graham. What does Lucy say about Graham?
(a) He is rude.
(b) He is too quiet.
(c) He is a kind man.
(d) He does not like Paulina.
9. Ginevra tells Lucy who the nun really is. Who is the nun?
(a) Madame Beck.
(b) de Hamal.
(c) Justine Marie.
10. How does Lucy respond to the comments from Messieurs Boissec and Rochemorte as they are testing her?
(a) She begins to cry.
(b) She cannot understand what they are saying.
(c) She yells at them.
(d) She thanks them .
11. What is M. Paul most worried about leaving Lucy at the Rue Fossette when he leaves?
(a) He is worried about her being able to get letters from him.
(b) He is worried that Lucy will get more ill.
(c) He is worried that Lucy will forget him.
(d) He is worried about Madame Beck .
12. Why does Madame Beck make Lucy stay upstairs translating a letter on M. Paul's last day?
(a) Because Lucy is getting sick.
(b) To make life easier on M. Paul.
(c) To try to keep her from saying goodbye.
(d) Because the letter needs to be translated immediately.
13. What does Lucy tell the reader about Paulina and Graham's marriage?
(a) Paulina dies right after they marry.
(b) They get divorced.
(c) They are blessed despite some hard times.
(d) They have many many difficult years.
14. Two associates from the college are at La Rue Fossette to test Lucy. Why?
(a) Because of an essay M. Paul gave them.
(b) Because Lucy wants to be in college.
(c) Because Lucy wanted to be tested.
(d) Because M. Paul wants Lucy to leave .
15. In the end of the book, Lucy tells the readers that the skies are darkening and that many ships have been lost to the sea. Lucy never confirms that M. Paul returned to her. What does this leave the reader to infer?
(a) M. Paul is not coming home via ship.
(b) Lucy no longer loves M. Paul.
(c) M. Paul's ship was lost at sea.
(d) M. Paul decided to stay abroad.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 33, M. Paul asks Lucy what she thinks of his story. What does Lucy say?
2. Who does Lucy see when she sneaks off at night to the Haute-Ville for the fete night celebration?
3. Who is afraid to take messages to M. Paul because of his temper issues?
4. What do Messieurs Boissec and Rochemorte ask Lucy to write an essay about?
5. When Ginevra's husband leaves the army, where do they go?
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)