|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Paulina and her father discuss Paulina's love for Graham, what do we learn about Paulina?
(a) She cannot wait to leave her father.
(b) She is devoted to her father.
(c) She thinks her father is forcing her to marry Graham.
(d) She does not really love Graham or her father.
2. All the students and teacher bring something for M. Paul to celebrate his fete. What do they bring?
(a) A plaque.
(b) A bouquet.
(c) A trophy.
(d) A medallion.
3. What languages does M. Paul think Lucy secretly knows?
(a) Latin and Greek.
(b) Spanish and Latin.
(c) Swedish and Spanish.
(d) Greek and Swedish.
4. Why is M. Paul leaving Europe?
(a) To go take care of this wife.
(b) Because he is sick of Europe.
(c) To go take care of the estate of Madame Walravens.
(d) To get away from Madame Walravens.
5. What do Messieurs Boissec and Rochemorte ask Lucy to write an essay about?
(a) Human justice.
(b) Right and wrong.
(d) The social role of women.
6. Ginevra tells Lucy who the nun really is. Who is the nun?
(a) de Hamal.
(b) Madame Beck.
(c) Justine Marie.
7. What is the name of the ship that M. Paul will be taking when he leaves Europe?
(a) Paul et Virginie.
(b) The Antigua.
(c) The Santa Maria.
(d) The Avaris.
8. What excuse does M. Paul try to use to convince Lucy to take the public examination?
(a) For the sake of their friendship.
(b) Because she is a teacher.
(c) To show Madame Beck .
(d) Because he knows she will do great.
9. What month does Lucy tell the reader M. Paul's ship is due home?
10. Who makes it clear that they do not approve of M. Paul's relationship with Lucy?
(b) Pire Silas.
(c) Mrs. Bretton.
(d) Mr. Home.
11. M. Paul is leaving Europe to go where?
(b) South Africa.
(c) North America.
12. Who does Ginevra end up eloping with?
(a) de Hamal.
(b) Pire Silas.
(c) Dr. Bretton.
13. In Chapter 38, who interrupts Lucy and M. Paul in the garden as he is holding her hand and is just about to tell her something?
(a) Pire Silas and Madame Beck.
(b) Graham and Paulina.
14. Why is Paulina initially nervous to speak with Lucy about her feelings for Graham?
(a) She does not want to be thought weak.
(b) She does not think Lucy likes her.
(c) She does not like Lucy much.
(d) She thinks Lucy loves Graham.
15. Who does Lucy see leaving Madame Walravens house when she is visiting on behalf of Madame Beck?
(a) M. Paul.
(b) Dr. Graham.
(c) A young child.
(d) A priest.
Short Answer Questions
1. The morning after the festival, Ginevra has gone missing. Where did she go?
2. Visually, how does Lucy describe the town square where Madame Walravens lives?
3. Lucy continues to observe Graham and Paulina together. What is Paulina's presence doing for Graham?
4. Who does Lucy see when she sneaks off at night to the Haute-Ville for the fete night celebration?
5. Who works with Madame Beck to tell Lucy about M. Paul's situation with Madame Walravens?
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)