|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What teacher leaves the school because of M. Paul and his fussing?
(c) Madame Panache.
(d) Madame Beck.
2. Who does Lucy see when she sneaks off at night to the Haute-Ville for the fete night celebration?
(a) Mrs. Leigh.
(c) The Brettons.
(d) The nun.
3. Why does Madame Beck make Lucy stay upstairs translating a letter on M. Paul's last day?
(a) Because the letter needs to be translated immediately.
(b) To make life easier on M. Paul.
(c) To try to keep her from saying goodbye.
(d) Because Lucy is getting sick.
4. Lucy hits her head on the table while trying to pick up her dropped thimble. What does M. Paul do in response to this?
(a) Takes Lucy to the doctor.
(b) Insults English women and heroes.
(c) Ignores Lucy.
(d) Goes to comfort Lucy .
5. Lucy continues to observe Graham and Paulina together. What is Paulina's presence doing for Graham?
(a) Making him too feminine.
(b) Making him rude to Lucy.
(c) Making him distant.
(d) Making him a better man.
6. Who makes it clear that they do not approve of M. Paul's relationship with Lucy?
(a) Pire Silas.
(c) Mr. Home.
(d) Mrs. Bretton.
7. In the end of the book, Lucy tells the readers that the skies are darkening and that many ships have been lost to the sea. Lucy never confirms that M. Paul returned to her. What does this leave the reader to infer?
(a) M. Paul's ship was lost at sea.
(b) M. Paul decided to stay abroad.
(c) Lucy no longer loves M. Paul.
(d) M. Paul is not coming home via ship.
8. Paulina asks Lucy her opinion of Graham. What does Lucy say about Graham?
(a) He is rude.
(b) He does not like Paulina.
(c) He is too quiet.
(d) He is a kind man.
9. What is the Faubourg Clotilde?
(a) The new school that M. Paul has opened for Lucy.
(b) The city next to Villette .
(c) The boat that will carry M. Paul to his new destination.
(d) Graham and Paulina's new home.
10. Ginevra tells Lucy who the nun really is. Who is the nun?
(a) Justine Marie.
(b) Madame Beck.
(c) de Hamal.
11. What is the name of the ship that M. Paul will be taking when he leaves Europe?
(a) The Avaris.
(b) The Santa Maria.
(c) Paul et Virginie.
(d) The Antigua.
12. While Lucy is walking alone through the park on an April day, who does she spy?
(a) The de Bassompierre's and Dr. Bretton.
(b) Dr. Bretton and Ginevra.
(c) de Hamal and Ginevra.
(d) M. Paul and Zylie.
13. What part of her new school does Lucy decide to dedicate to M. Paul while he is away?
(a) The study room.
(b) The dining hall.
(c) The library.
(d) Her classroom.
14. Why does M. Paul tell Lucy that people think that she is dangerous for him?
(a) Because she does not want to marry.
(b) Because she is not loving.
(c) Because she is of a different religion.
(d) Because she has no connections.
15. What does M. Paul say when he joins Lucy in the alley and notices her pale coloring?
(a) She should spend more time outside.
(b) She looks pretty.
(c) She should try to sleep more.
(d) She needs looking after.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gift did Lucy take time making for M. Paul?
2. When spring and warm weather come around, how is Lucy feeling?
3. When M. Paul asks Lucy to write down his stories, what excuse does she offer for not being able to?
4. How does M. Paul react when he receives Lucy's gift for his fete-day?
5. As the years pass, what news does Lucy hear of Ginevra's marriage?
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)