|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does M. Paul give to a child to pass on to Lucy as he is leaving the school?
(a) A hankerchief.
(b) A note.
(c) A flower.
(d) A ring.
2. What does Lucy tell the reader about Paulina and Graham's marriage?
(a) They are blessed despite some hard times.
(b) They get divorced.
(c) They have many many difficult years.
(d) Paulina dies right after they marry.
3. Lucy continues to observe Graham and Paulina together. What is Paulina's presence doing for Graham?
(a) Making him distant.
(b) Making him too feminine.
(c) Making him a better man.
(d) Making him rude to Lucy.
4. As the years pass, what news does Lucy hear of Ginevra's marriage?
(a) Rumors of debts and dishonor.
(b) That they lose their baby daughter.
(c) Stories of great fortune and wealth.
(d) That Ginevra's husband dies.
5. When Madame Beck refuses to leave the room where Lucy and M. Paul are saying goodbye, what does M. Paul do?
(a) He ignores her.
(b) He begins to cry.
(c) He slaps Madame Beck.
(d) He storms out alone.
6. What gift did Lucy take time making for M. Paul?
(a) A card.
(b) A cake.
(c) A painting.
(d) A watchguard.
7. Who does Lucy see when she sneaks off at night to the Haute-Ville for the fete night celebration?
(a) The nun.
(b) The Brettons.
(d) Mrs. Leigh.
8. While Lucy and M. Paul are speaking together in the country, what does M. Paul call Lucy?
(b) Little sister.
(c) Little woman.
9. How does Madame Walravens respond to Madame Beck's gift?
(a) She loves it.
(b) She throws it out the window.
(c) She tell Lucy to take it back.
(d) She does not know who Madame Beck is.
10. When Ginevra's husband leaves the army, where do they go?
(a) They live abroad.
(b) They remain in Villette.
(c) They move back to La Rue Fossette.
(d) They go to another part of France.
11. Two associates from the college are at La Rue Fossette to test Lucy. Why?
(a) Because Lucy wants to be in college.
(b) Because of an essay M. Paul gave them.
(c) Because M. Paul wants Lucy to leave .
(d) Because Lucy wanted to be tested.
12. In Chapter 36, Lucy finds a lilac pamphlet in her desk. What is the pamphlet about?
(b) Women's rights.
(d) Human rights.
13. Visually, how does Lucy describe the town square where Madame Walravens lives?
(a) Very high class.
(c) Bright and cheerful.
14. Lucy tries to deliver a note to M. Paul during his class, and in the process breaks something of his. What does she break?
(a) The classroom door.
(b) His lunettes.
(c) His pencil.
(d) A glass vase.
15. What teacher leaves the school because of M. Paul and his fussing?
(b) Madame Panache.
(c) Madame Beck.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is M. Paul leaving Europe?
2. In Chapter 27, M. Paul stops to speak to Lucy after he has read to the students for the night. What does he say to her?
3. In Chapter 41, what does Lucy confess to M. Paul that she is worried about?
4. What excuse does M. Paul give Lucy for not wanting to marry Zylie?
5. Why does Madame Beck make Lucy stay upstairs translating a letter on M. Paul's last day?
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)