|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When everyone else at the school seems to be afraid of M. Paul and his temper, who is the one person who seems to challenge him?
(a) Mrs. Bretton.
(b) Mr. Home.
2. What languages does M. Paul think Lucy secretly knows?
(a) Swedish and Spanish.
(b) Greek and Swedish.
(c) Spanish and Latin.
(d) Latin and Greek.
3. In Chapter 33, M. Paul asks Lucy what she thinks of his story. What does Lucy say?
(a) She hates stories.
(b) She was not paying attention.
(c) She enjoyed it.
(d) She likes to tell stories too.
4. What excuse does M. Paul try to use to convince Lucy to take the public examination?
(a) Because he knows she will do great.
(b) Because she is a teacher.
(c) For the sake of their friendship.
(d) To show Madame Beck .
5. Who is afraid to take messages to M. Paul because of his temper issues?
(c) Madame Beck.
(d) Dr. John.
6. What is M. Paul most worried about leaving Lucy at the Rue Fossette when he leaves?
(a) He is worried that Lucy will forget him.
(b) He is worried about her being able to get letters from him.
(c) He is worried about Madame Beck .
(d) He is worried that Lucy will get more ill.
7. Ginevra tells Lucy who the nun really is. Who is the nun?
(b) Justine Marie.
(c) de Hamal.
(d) Madame Beck.
8. When Lucy speaks with M. de Bassompierre about Paulina and Dr. Bretton's feelings for one another, what does she say to try to encourage M. de Bassompierre?
(a) It is easier to give Paulina to a friend than a stranger.
(b) That M. de Bassompierre should get remarried as well.
(c) That they will get engaged even if he says no.
(d) That Graham is a not a gentleman.
9. In Chapter 41, M. Paul comes back to the Rue Fossette to say goodbye to Lucy. What is his reaction when he first sees her?
(a) He thinks that she looks well and in good spirits.
(b) He realizes that he is glad to leave.
(c) He is not excited to see her.
(d) He is saddened to see that she has been ill and unhappy.
10. Why is Paulina initially nervous to speak with Lucy about her feelings for Graham?
(a) She thinks Lucy loves Graham.
(b) She does not think Lucy likes her.
(c) She does not like Lucy much.
(d) She does not want to be thought weak.
11. How does Lucy respond to hearing about Graham and Paulina's love for each other?
(a) She tells Paulina that it is right.
(b) She is very jealous.
(c) She becomes angry with Paulina.
(d) She is disappointed because she wanted Graham.
12. Paulina asks Lucy her opinion of Graham. What does Lucy say about Graham?
(a) He does not like Paulina.
(b) He is a kind man.
(c) He is too quiet.
(d) He is rude.
13. Lucy continues to observe Graham and Paulina together. What is Paulina's presence doing for Graham?
(a) Making him a better man.
(b) Making him too feminine.
(c) Making him rude to Lucy.
(d) Making him distant.
14. Who does Lucy see leaving Madame Walravens house when she is visiting on behalf of Madame Beck?
(a) A young child.
(b) Dr. Graham.
(c) A priest.
(d) M. Paul.
15. As the years pass, what news does Lucy hear of Ginevra's marriage?
(a) That Ginevra's husband dies.
(b) Stories of great fortune and wealth.
(c) Rumors of debts and dishonor.
(d) That they lose their baby daughter.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Lucy find out is responsible for taking care of Madame Walravens financially?
2. When spring and warm weather come around, how is Lucy feeling?
3. During the second year that Lucy is running her own school, what gift does she unexpectedly receive from a relative of Miss Marchmont?
4. Visually, how does Lucy describe the town square where Madame Walravens lives?
5. In Chapter 41, what does Lucy confess to M. Paul that she is worried about?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)