|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When M. Paul asks Lucy how if she would welcome him back if he left for a number of years, how does Lucy respond?
(a) She asks when he is leaving.
(b) She says no.
(c) She begins to cry.
(d) She says of course.
2. What is M. Paul most worried about leaving Lucy at the Rue Fossette when he leaves?
(a) He is worried about Madame Beck .
(b) He is worried about her being able to get letters from him.
(c) He is worried that Lucy will forget him.
(d) He is worried that Lucy will get more ill.
3. Madame Beck tells Lucy that M. Paul cannot marry. How does Lucy respond to this?
(a) She tells Madame Beck that they are already married.
(b) She says that she understands.
(c) She says she does not even like M. Paul.
(d) She says Madame Beck just wants him for herself.
4. Who does Lucy see when she sneaks off at night to the Haute-Ville for the fete night celebration?
(a) The nun.
(b) The Brettons.
(c) Mrs. Leigh.
5. Who seems to have her eye on M. Paul as a potential husband?
(b) Zylie St. Pierre.
(c) Mrs. Bretton.
6. What does Paulina tell Lucy she received from Graham when traveling across France with her father?
(b) A necklace.
(c) A letter.
7. When Paulina tells her father about her love for Graham, how does he respond?
(a) He is glad to get rid of her.
(b) He criticizes Graham.
(c) He thinks that it is great.
(d) He does not know who Graham is.
8. Lucy takes a walk and begins to think about ways to become more independent. What is her idea for independence?
(a) Opening her own shops.
(b) Running away to another country.
(c) Getting married.
(d) Opening her own school.
9. What excuse does M. Paul try to use to convince Lucy to take the public examination?
(a) To show Madame Beck .
(b) Because she is a teacher.
(c) For the sake of their friendship.
(d) Because he knows she will do great.
10. Ginevra tells Lucy who the nun really is. Who is the nun?
(a) de Hamal.
(b) Justine Marie.
(d) Madame Beck.
11. Right before M. Paul says farewell to Lucy, what does he tell her?
(a) That he will not be coming back .
(b) That he will be marrying Justine Marie.
(c) That he loves her.
(d) That she should marry someone else.
12. When Lucy speaks with M. de Bassompierre about Paulina and Dr. Bretton's feelings for one another, what does she say to try to encourage M. de Bassompierre?
(a) It is easier to give Paulina to a friend than a stranger.
(b) That M. de Bassompierre should get remarried as well.
(c) That they will get engaged even if he says no.
(d) That Graham is a not a gentleman.
13. The morning after the festival, Ginevra has gone missing. Where did she go?
(a) She eloped.
(b) She decided to go with M. Paul.
(c) She went back home.
(d) She was kidnapped.
14. While M. Paul is gone he writes letters to Lucy, what does he say about her religion?
(a) That Lucy is silly for being Protestant.
(b) The Lucy should become Catholic like him.
(c) That he realizes Protestantism is the only way.
(d) That she should remain Protestant.
15. When Lucy is on her way back to Rue Fossette from the fete-night, what strange sight does she see?
(a) The nun walking along the street.
(b) Her dead mother.
(c) Ginevra and Dr. Graham walking together.
(d) A carriage with a white hankerchief waving out the window.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Madame Beck refuses to leave the room where Lucy and M. Paul are saying goodbye, what does M. Paul do?
2. What is Lucy wearing the day of the school's breakfast in the country that causes M. Paul to make fun of her?
3. What does M. Paul give to a child to pass on to Lucy as he is leaving the school?
4. M. Paul is leaving Europe to go where?
5. When spring and warm weather come around, how is Lucy feeling?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)