|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Lucy will never be Catholic. Why?
(a) She doesn't believe in the extravagance of the Mass.
(b) She does not like the Pope.
(c) She does not need religion.
(d) Her parents were Protestant.
2. What does M. Paul use his study at the boy's college for?
(a) As an extra study because there are not enough studies at Madame Beck's.
(b) As a place to get away from Madame Beck's.
(c) As a place to survey the girl's school from.
(d) As a place to get away from Lucy.
3. M. Paul is leaving Europe to go where?
(b) South Africa.
(d) North America.
4. When everyone else at the school seems to be afraid of M. Paul and his temper, who is the one person who seems to challenge him?
(b) Mr. Home.
(d) Mrs. Bretton.
5. In Chapter 29, Mrs. Bretton sends a note to Lucy. What does the note say?
(a) She would like Lucy to attend a lecture with her.
(b) She tells Lucy she is sick.
(c) She wants to let Lucy know she is leaving.
(d) She just wants to say hello.
6. In Chapter 36, Lucy finds a lilac pamphlet in her desk. What is the pamphlet about?
(a) Human rights.
(c) Women's rights.
7. While Lucy is walking alone through the park on an April day, who does she spy?
(a) de Hamal and Ginevra.
(b) The de Bassompierre's and Dr. Bretton.
(c) Dr. Bretton and Ginevra.
(d) M. Paul and Zylie.
8. What teacher leaves the school because of M. Paul and his fussing?
(b) Madame Beck.
(c) Madame Panache.
9. Why is Paulina nervous to tell her father about her love for Dr. Bretton?
(a) Her father does not like Dr. Bretton.
(b) Her father does not want her to marry.
(c) She is afraid of her father.
(d) She does not want to hurt him.
10. Why does M. Paul tell Lucy that people think that she is dangerous for him?
(a) Because she is of a different religion.
(b) Because she is not loving.
(c) Because she has no connections.
(d) Because she does not want to marry.
11. When Madame Beck refuses to leave the room where Lucy and M. Paul are saying goodbye, what does M. Paul do?
(a) He ignores her.
(b) He begins to cry.
(c) He slaps Madame Beck.
(d) He storms out alone.
12. In Chapter 38, who interrupts Lucy and M. Paul in the garden as he is holding her hand and is just about to tell her something?
(c) Graham and Paulina.
(d) Pire Silas and Madame Beck.
13. Why does Madame Beck ask Lucy to go to Madame Walravens?
(a) To invite her to a party.
(b) To drop off a basket.
(c) To bring her some dinner.
(d) To deliver a note.
14. How does Madame Walravens respond to Madame Beck's gift?
(a) She loves it.
(b) She does not know who Madame Beck is.
(c) She tell Lucy to take it back.
(d) She throws it out the window.
15. What is M. Paul most worried about leaving Lucy at the Rue Fossette when he leaves?
(a) He is worried that Lucy will forget him.
(b) He is worried about her being able to get letters from him.
(c) He is worried that Lucy will get more ill.
(d) He is worried about Madame Beck .
Short Answer Questions
1. What gift did Lucy take time making for M. Paul?
2. Who seems to have her eye on M. Paul as a potential husband?
3. As the years pass, what news does Lucy hear of Ginevra's marriage?
4. What does M. Paul give to a child to pass on to Lucy as he is leaving the school?
5. Lucy continues to observe Graham and Paulina together. What is Paulina's presence doing for Graham?
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)