|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many years does Lucy tell the reader M. Paul is gone for?
(a) Two .
2. What does Paulina tell Lucy she received from Graham when traveling across France with her father?
(a) A letter.
(c) A necklace.
3. While waiting in the parlor at Madam Walravens, Lucy begins to study a portrait. Who's portrait is it?
(a) Justine Marie.
(d) Madame Beck.
4. When M. Paul asks Lucy to write down his stories, what excuse does she offer for not being able to?
(a) She does not know how to write.
(b) She cannot because she is writing her own stories.
(c) She does not like writing .
(d) She writes too slowly.
5. Who does Lucy see leaving Madame Walravens house when she is visiting on behalf of Madame Beck?
(a) M. Paul.
(b) Dr. Graham.
(c) A young child.
(d) A priest.
6. Lucy takes a walk and begins to think about ways to become more independent. What is her idea for independence?
(a) Running away to another country.
(b) Getting married.
(c) Opening her own shops.
(d) Opening her own school.
7. M. Paul notes that his plans to leave Europe have changed, why have they changed?
(a) He has work to do before he goes.
(b) He wants to leave sooner than expected.
(c) He wants to travel around Europe one last time.
(d) He is considering not going afterall.
8. Who does Ginevra end up eloping with?
(a) Pire Silas.
(c) Dr. Bretton.
(d) de Hamal.
9. What part of her new school does Lucy decide to dedicate to M. Paul while he is away?
(a) The study room.
(b) The dining hall.
(c) The library.
(d) Her classroom.
10. How does M. Paul react when he receives Lucy's gift for his fete-day?
(a) He is embarrassed.
(b) He does not care either way.
(c) He is very pleased.
(d) He does not like it .
11. Why is Paulina initially nervous to speak with Lucy about her feelings for Graham?
(a) She does not think Lucy likes her.
(b) She does not want to be thought weak.
(c) She does not like Lucy much.
(d) She thinks Lucy loves Graham.
12. When Lucy finds out about M. Paul's generous care of Madame Walravens, what does she think?
(a) She thinks it is silly.
(b) She does not understand why he does it.
(c) She thinks it is pitiful.
(d) She realizes that M. Paul can truly love.
13. Lucy hits her head on the table while trying to pick up her dropped thimble. What does M. Paul do in response to this?
(a) Ignores Lucy.
(b) Takes Lucy to the doctor.
(c) Goes to comfort Lucy .
(d) Insults English women and heroes.
14. Why does Madame Beck make Lucy stay upstairs translating a letter on M. Paul's last day?
(a) Because Lucy is getting sick.
(b) To try to keep her from saying goodbye.
(c) To make life easier on M. Paul.
(d) Because the letter needs to be translated immediately.
15. What excuse does M. Paul give Lucy for not wanting to marry Zylie?
(a) He does not like Zylie's character.
(b) He is already married.
(c) He is not the marrying type.
(d) He likes Ginevra.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Lucy is on her way back to Rue Fossette from the fete-night, what strange sight does she see?
2. Who works with Madame Beck to tell Lucy about M. Paul's situation with Madame Walravens?
3. Lucy tries to deliver a note to M. Paul during his class, and in the process breaks something of his. What does she break?
4. In Chapter 33, M. Paul asks Lucy what she thinks of his story. What does Lucy say?
5. While M. Paul is gone he writes letters to Lucy, what does he say about her religion?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)