|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Madame Beck make Lucy stay upstairs translating a letter on M. Paul's last day?
(a) Because Lucy is getting sick.
(b) To make life easier on M. Paul.
(c) To try to keep her from saying goodbye.
(d) Because the letter needs to be translated immediately.
2. What is the Faubourg Clotilde?
(a) The city next to Villette .
(b) The boat that will carry M. Paul to his new destination.
(c) Graham and Paulina's new home.
(d) The new school that M. Paul has opened for Lucy.
3. What is M. Paul most worried about leaving Lucy at the Rue Fossette when he leaves?
(a) He is worried about Madame Beck .
(b) He is worried that Lucy will forget him.
(c) He is worried about her being able to get letters from him.
(d) He is worried that Lucy will get more ill.
4. Paulina takes something from both her father and Graham to put into her locket. What does she put in her locket?
(a) Finger nail clippings.
(b) Pictures of both men.
(c) Locks of hair.
(d) A swatch of fabric.
5. Who does Ginevra end up eloping with?
(a) Dr. Bretton.
(b) de Hamal.
(d) Pire Silas.
6. Ginevra tells Lucy who the nun really is. Who is the nun?
(b) Madame Beck.
(c) Justine Marie.
(d) de Hamal.
7. M. Paul suggests that Lucy take the public examination with the first class students. How does Lucy respond?
(a) She says she has already taken it.
(b) The idea horrifies her.
(c) She wants to take the exam.
(d) She likes the challenge.
8. Who does Lucy see leaving Madame Walravens house when she is visiting on behalf of Madame Beck?
(a) A priest.
(b) Dr. Graham.
(c) M. Paul.
(d) A young child.
9. How does M. Paul react when he receives Lucy's gift for his fete-day?
(a) He does not care either way.
(b) He is embarrassed.
(c) He does not like it .
(d) He is very pleased.
10. What does Paulina tell Lucy she received from Graham when traveling across France with her father?
(b) A necklace.
(d) A letter.
11. What does M. Paul use his study at the boy's college for?
(a) As a place to get away from Lucy.
(b) As a place to get away from Madame Beck's.
(c) As an extra study because there are not enough studies at Madame Beck's.
(d) As a place to survey the girl's school from.
12. During the second year that Lucy is running her own school, what gift does she unexpectedly receive from a relative of Miss Marchmont?
(a) Six new students.
(b) One hundred pounds.
(c) A library.
(d) A new carriage.
13. Who does Lucy see when she sneaks off at night to the Haute-Ville for the fete night celebration?
(a) Mrs. Leigh.
(c) The Brettons.
(d) The nun.
14. Lucy sees Ginevra close to the end of her honeymoon. How does Lucy describe Ginevra at this time?
(a) Regretting her elopment.
(b) Happy but very tired.
(c) Scared to be a wife.
(d) Beautiful and happy.
15. What gift did Lucy take time making for M. Paul?
(a) A cake.
(b) A card.
(c) A painting.
(d) A watchguard.
Short Answer Questions
1. When M. Paul asks Lucy how if she would welcome him back if he left for a number of years, how does Lucy respond?
2. M. Paul soon realizes that Lucy knows his secret about Madame Walravens. What does he ask her to do?
3. When Paulina tells her father about her love for Graham, how does he respond?
4. Lucy takes a walk and begins to think about ways to become more independent. What is her idea for independence?
5. Lucy continues to observe Graham and Paulina together. What is Paulina's presence doing for Graham?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)