|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does M. Paul react when he receives Lucy's gift for his fete-day?
(a) He is very pleased.
(b) He does not like it .
(c) He is embarrassed.
(d) He does not care either way.
2. Why is Paulina nervous to tell her father about her love for Dr. Bretton?
(a) Her father does not want her to marry.
(b) Her father does not like Dr. Bretton.
(c) She is afraid of her father.
(d) She does not want to hurt him.
3. What does Lucy tell the reader about Paulina and Graham's marriage?
(a) They have many many difficult years.
(b) Paulina dies right after they marry.
(c) They are blessed despite some hard times.
(d) They get divorced.
4. When Paulina and her father discuss Paulina's love for Graham, what do we learn about Paulina?
(a) She is devoted to her father.
(b) She cannot wait to leave her father.
(c) She does not really love Graham or her father.
(d) She thinks her father is forcing her to marry Graham.
5. Lucy continues to observe Graham and Paulina together. What is Paulina's presence doing for Graham?
(a) Making him a better man.
(b) Making him rude to Lucy.
(c) Making him too feminine.
(d) Making him distant.
6. In Chapter 29, Mrs. Bretton sends a note to Lucy. What does the note say?
(a) She would like Lucy to attend a lecture with her.
(b) She just wants to say hello.
(c) She wants to let Lucy know she is leaving.
(d) She tells Lucy she is sick.
7. Who does Lucy see leaving Madame Walravens house when she is visiting on behalf of Madame Beck?
(a) M. Paul.
(b) A young child.
(c) Dr. Graham.
(d) A priest.
8. In Chapter 41, what does Lucy confess to M. Paul that she is worried about?
(a) That M. Paul had already left the country.
(b) That he never really liked her.
(c) The he had forgotten her.
(d) That she was dying.
9. While Lucy and M. Paul are speaking together in the country, what does M. Paul call Lucy?
(a) Little woman.
(c) Little sister.
10. As the years pass, what news does Lucy hear of Ginevra's marriage?
(a) That Ginevra's husband dies.
(b) Rumors of debts and dishonor.
(c) That they lose their baby daughter.
(d) Stories of great fortune and wealth.
11. While Lucy is walking alone through the park on an April day, who does she spy?
(a) de Hamal and Ginevra.
(b) M. Paul and Zylie.
(c) Dr. Bretton and Ginevra.
(d) The de Bassompierre's and Dr. Bretton.
12. Why is Paulina initially nervous to speak with Lucy about her feelings for Graham?
(a) She does not think Lucy likes her.
(b) She thinks Lucy loves Graham.
(c) She does not want to be thought weak.
(d) She does not like Lucy much.
13. When Lucy is on her way back to Rue Fossette from the fete-night, what strange sight does she see?
(a) A carriage with a white hankerchief waving out the window.
(b) Her dead mother.
(c) Ginevra and Dr. Graham walking together.
(d) The nun walking along the street.
14. Lucy will never be Catholic. Why?
(a) She does not like the Pope.
(b) She does not need religion.
(c) She doesn't believe in the extravagance of the Mass.
(d) Her parents were Protestant.
15. Visually, how does Lucy describe the town square where Madame Walravens lives?
(a) Bright and cheerful.
(d) Very high class.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lucy sees Ginevra close to the end of her honeymoon. How does Lucy describe Ginevra at this time?
2. When Lucy returns to her room from the fete-night, what does she find sitting on her bed?
3. When Ginevra's husband leaves the army, where do they go?
4. What is Lucy wearing the day of the school's breakfast in the country that causes M. Paul to make fun of her?
5. When M. Paul asks Lucy to write down his stories, what excuse does she offer for not being able to?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)