|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What teacher leaves the school because of M. Paul and his fussing?
(a) Madame Panache.
(c) Madame Beck.
2. What is Lucy wearing the day of the school's breakfast in the country that causes M. Paul to make fun of her?
(a) A boring shawl.
(b) A feathery hat.
(c) A pink dress.
(d) Pointy shoes.
3. When Lucy sees M. Paul arrive at the fete-night with Justine Marie, his young ward, what does she think?
(a) M. Paul clearly does not like Justine Marie.
(b) Justine Marie is not very pretty.
(c) M. Paul does not look happy at all .
(d) M. Paul will marry Justine Marie when he returns.
4. How does M. Paul react when he receives Lucy's gift for his fete-day?
(a) He is embarrassed.
(b) He does not care either way.
(c) He is very pleased.
(d) He does not like it .
5. When Lucy speaks with M. de Bassompierre about Paulina and Dr. Bretton's feelings for one another, what does she say to try to encourage M. de Bassompierre?
(a) It is easier to give Paulina to a friend than a stranger.
(b) That Graham is a not a gentleman.
(c) That M. de Bassompierre should get remarried as well.
(d) That they will get engaged even if he says no.
6. How many years does Lucy tell the reader M. Paul is gone for?
(a) Two .
7. What part of her new school does Lucy decide to dedicate to M. Paul while he is away?
(a) The dining hall.
(b) The library.
(c) The study room.
(d) Her classroom.
8. Why does Madame Beck ask Lucy to go to Madame Walravens?
(a) To drop off a basket.
(b) To invite her to a party.
(c) To deliver a note.
(d) To bring her some dinner.
9. The more that Lucy and M. Paul speak about their religions, what does Lucy find?
(a) Their fundamental beliefs are the same.
(b) She cannot be friends with M. Paul.
(c) Religion is not a big deal.
(d) Catholicism is the right way.
10. In Chapter 36, Lucy finds a lilac pamphlet in her desk. What is the pamphlet about?
(a) Women's rights.
(c) Human rights.
11. When M. Paul asks Lucy to write down his stories, what excuse does she offer for not being able to?
(a) She writes too slowly.
(b) She does not like writing .
(c) She cannot because she is writing her own stories.
(d) She does not know how to write.
12. As the years pass, what news does Lucy hear of Ginevra's marriage?
(a) Rumors of debts and dishonor.
(b) Stories of great fortune and wealth.
(c) That Ginevra's husband dies.
(d) That they lose their baby daughter.
13. When Ginevra's husband leaves the army, where do they go?
(a) They go to another part of France.
(b) They move back to La Rue Fossette.
(c) They live abroad.
(d) They remain in Villette.
14. During the second year that Lucy is running her own school, what gift does she unexpectedly receive from a relative of Miss Marchmont?
(a) A library.
(b) Six new students.
(c) One hundred pounds.
(d) A new carriage.
15. In Chapter 41, what does Lucy confess to M. Paul that she is worried about?
(a) The he had forgotten her.
(b) That she was dying.
(c) That M. Paul had already left the country.
(d) That he never really liked her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who works with Madame Beck to tell Lucy about M. Paul's situation with Madame Walravens?
2. Lucy sees Ginevra close to the end of her honeymoon. How does Lucy describe Ginevra at this time?
3. In Chapter 29, Mrs. Bretton sends a note to Lucy. What does the note say?
4. Who makes it clear that they do not approve of M. Paul's relationship with Lucy?
5. Who secretly leaves books and pamphlets in Lucy's desk for her to read?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)