|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Lucy speaks with M. de Bassompierre about Paulina and Dr. Bretton's feelings for one another, what does she say to try to encourage M. de Bassompierre?
(a) It is easier to give Paulina to a friend than a stranger.
(b) That Graham is a not a gentleman.
(c) That they will get engaged even if he says no.
(d) That M. de Bassompierre should get remarried as well.
2. While Lucy is walking alone through the park on an April day, who does she spy?
(a) Dr. Bretton and Ginevra.
(b) de Hamal and Ginevra.
(c) The de Bassompierre's and Dr. Bretton.
(d) M. Paul and Zylie.
3. When Paulina tells her father about her love for Graham, how does he respond?
(a) He does not know who Graham is.
(b) He criticizes Graham.
(c) He is glad to get rid of her.
(d) He thinks that it is great.
4. Lucy continues to observe Graham and Paulina together. What is Paulina's presence doing for Graham?
(a) Making him too feminine.
(b) Making him rude to Lucy.
(c) Making him distant.
(d) Making him a better man.
5. What teacher leaves the school because of M. Paul and his fussing?
(b) Madame Panache.
(c) Madame Beck.
6. Lucy will never be Catholic. Why?
(a) She does not like the Pope.
(b) She doesn't believe in the extravagance of the Mass.
(c) She does not need religion.
(d) Her parents were Protestant.
7. What does M. Paul say when he joins Lucy in the alley and notices her pale coloring?
(a) She needs looking after.
(b) She should spend more time outside.
(c) She should try to sleep more.
(d) She looks pretty.
8. M. Paul soon realizes that Lucy knows his secret about Madame Walravens. What does he ask her to do?
(a) To trust him.
(b) To not tell anyone else.
(c) To leave him alone.
(d) To mind her own business.
9. How does M. Paul react when he receives Lucy's gift for his fete-day?
(a) He does not like it .
(b) He is very pleased.
(c) He is embarrassed.
(d) He does not care either way.
10. As the years pass, what news does Lucy hear of Ginevra's marriage?
(a) That Ginevra's husband dies.
(b) Stories of great fortune and wealth.
(c) That they lose their baby daughter.
(d) Rumors of debts and dishonor.
11. Visually, how does Lucy describe the town square where Madame Walravens lives?
(a) Bright and cheerful.
(d) Very high class.
12. When M. Paul asks Lucy to write down his stories, what excuse does she offer for not being able to?
(a) She writes too slowly.
(b) She does not like writing .
(c) She does not know how to write.
(d) She cannot because she is writing her own stories.
13. What is the name of the ship that M. Paul will be taking when he leaves Europe?
(a) The Antigua.
(b) Paul et Virginie.
(c) The Santa Maria.
(d) The Avaris.
14. In Chapter 29, Mrs. Bretton sends a note to Lucy. What does the note say?
(a) She just wants to say hello.
(b) She tells Lucy she is sick.
(c) She would like Lucy to attend a lecture with her.
(d) She wants to let Lucy know she is leaving.
15. Why does M. Paul tell Lucy that people think that she is dangerous for him?
(a) Because she has no connections.
(b) Because she is not loving.
(c) Because she is of a different religion.
(d) Because she does not want to marry.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who secretly leaves books and pamphlets in Lucy's desk for her to read?
2. Who does Lucy see leaving Madame Walravens house when she is visiting on behalf of Madame Beck?
3. Who does Ginevra end up eloping with?
4. M. Paul suggests that Lucy take the public examination with the first class students. How does Lucy respond?
5. When Madame Beck refuses to leave the room where Lucy and M. Paul are saying goodbye, what does M. Paul do?
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)