|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Lucy finds out about M. Paul's generous care of Madame Walravens, what does she think?
(a) She does not understand why he does it.
(b) She thinks it is pitiful.
(c) She realizes that M. Paul can truly love.
(d) She thinks it is silly.
2. As the years pass, what news does Lucy hear of Ginevra's marriage?
(a) Stories of great fortune and wealth.
(b) That they lose their baby daughter.
(c) Rumors of debts and dishonor.
(d) That Ginevra's husband dies.
3. During the second year that Lucy is running her own school, what gift does she unexpectedly receive from a relative of Miss Marchmont?
(a) A new carriage.
(b) A library.
(c) Six new students.
(d) One hundred pounds.
4. What does Paulina tell Lucy she received from Graham when traveling across France with her father?
(a) A letter.
(c) A necklace.
5. Why does Madame Beck ask Lucy to go to Madame Walravens?
(a) To deliver a note.
(b) To drop off a basket.
(c) To invite her to a party.
(d) To bring her some dinner.
6. Why is Paulina initially nervous to speak with Lucy about her feelings for Graham?
(a) She does not like Lucy much.
(b) She does not think Lucy likes her.
(c) She thinks Lucy loves Graham.
(d) She does not want to be thought weak.
7. Paulina asks Lucy her opinion of Graham. What does Lucy say about Graham?
(a) He does not like Paulina.
(b) He is a kind man.
(c) He is too quiet.
(d) He is rude.
8. When Paulina tells her father about her love for Graham, how does he respond?
(a) He does not know who Graham is.
(b) He is glad to get rid of her.
(c) He criticizes Graham.
(d) He thinks that it is great.
9. Right before M. Paul says farewell to Lucy, what does he tell her?
(a) That he will be marrying Justine Marie.
(b) That he will not be coming back .
(c) That she should marry someone else.
(d) That he loves her.
10. All the students and teacher bring something for M. Paul to celebrate his fete. What do they bring?
(a) A plaque.
(b) A medallion.
(c) A bouquet.
(d) A trophy.
11. Lucy tries to deliver a note to M. Paul during his class, and in the process breaks something of his. What does she break?
(a) The classroom door.
(b) His lunettes.
(c) His pencil.
(d) A glass vase.
12. Who is afraid to take messages to M. Paul because of his temper issues?
(b) Dr. John.
(d) Madame Beck.
13. The morning after the festival, Ginevra has gone missing. Where did she go?
(a) She was kidnapped.
(b) She eloped.
(c) She went back home.
(d) She decided to go with M. Paul.
14. What is the Faubourg Clotilde?
(a) The boat that will carry M. Paul to his new destination.
(b) The new school that M. Paul has opened for Lucy.
(c) The city next to Villette .
(d) Graham and Paulina's new home.
15. Two associates from the college are at La Rue Fossette to test Lucy. Why?
(a) Because Lucy wants to be in college.
(b) Because Lucy wanted to be tested.
(c) Because M. Paul wants Lucy to leave .
(d) Because of an essay M. Paul gave them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Messieurs Boissec and Rochemorte ask Lucy to write an essay about?
2. Lucy decides she will take the note to M. Paul. When she enters his classroom, how does he initially respond?
3. Lucy takes a walk and begins to think about ways to become more independent. What is her idea for independence?
4. When M. Paul asks Lucy to write down his stories, what excuse does she offer for not being able to?
5. Who does Lucy find out is responsible for taking care of Madame Walravens financially?
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)