|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Lucy continues to observe Graham and Paulina together. What is Paulina's presence doing for Graham?
(a) Making him distant.
(b) Making him a better man.
(c) Making him rude to Lucy.
(d) Making him too feminine.
2. When M. Paul asks Lucy to write down his stories, what excuse does she offer for not being able to?
(a) She writes too slowly.
(b) She does not like writing .
(c) She cannot because she is writing her own stories.
(d) She does not know how to write.
3. While waiting in the parlor at Madam Walravens, Lucy begins to study a portrait. Who's portrait is it?
(a) Justine Marie.
(c) Madame Beck.
4. In Chapter 36, Lucy finds a lilac pamphlet in her desk. What is the pamphlet about?
(b) Human rights.
(d) Women's rights.
5. When Ginevra's husband leaves the army, where do they go?
(a) They remain in Villette.
(b) They move back to La Rue Fossette.
(c) They go to another part of France.
(d) They live abroad.
6. Who is afraid to take messages to M. Paul because of his temper issues?
(b) Madame Beck.
(c) Dr. John.
7. The more that Lucy and M. Paul speak about their religions, what does Lucy find?
(a) Their fundamental beliefs are the same.
(b) She cannot be friends with M. Paul.
(c) Religion is not a big deal.
(d) Catholicism is the right way.
8. What is M. Paul most worried about leaving Lucy at the Rue Fossette when he leaves?
(a) He is worried about her being able to get letters from him.
(b) He is worried that Lucy will get more ill.
(c) He is worried about Madame Beck .
(d) He is worried that Lucy will forget him.
9. Who secretly leaves books and pamphlets in Lucy's desk for her to read?
(a) M. Paul.
(b) Madame Beck.
10. Two associates from the college are at La Rue Fossette to test Lucy. Why?
(a) Because Lucy wanted to be tested.
(b) Because Lucy wants to be in college.
(c) Because of an essay M. Paul gave them.
(d) Because M. Paul wants Lucy to leave .
11. When Paulina tells her father about her love for Graham, how does he respond?
(a) He is glad to get rid of her.
(b) He thinks that it is great.
(c) He criticizes Graham.
(d) He does not know who Graham is.
12. What excuse does M. Paul try to use to convince Lucy to take the public examination?
(a) For the sake of their friendship.
(b) Because she is a teacher.
(c) To show Madame Beck .
(d) Because he knows she will do great.
13. How many years does Lucy tell the reader M. Paul is gone for?
(b) Two .
14. What is Lucy wearing the day of the school's breakfast in the country that causes M. Paul to make fun of her?
(a) A pink dress.
(b) Pointy shoes.
(c) A boring shawl.
(d) A feathery hat.
15. When Lucy finds out about M. Paul's generous care of Madame Walravens, what does she think?
(a) She thinks it is silly.
(b) She realizes that M. Paul can truly love.
(c) She does not understand why he does it.
(d) She thinks it is pitiful.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Madame Beck ask Lucy to go to Madame Walravens?
2. Why is M. Paul leaving Europe?
3. While M. Paul is gone he writes letters to Lucy, what does he say about her religion?
4. When Lucy is on her way back to Rue Fossette from the fete-night, what strange sight does she see?
5. M. Paul is leaving Europe to go where?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)