|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is M. Paul leaving Europe?
(a) To go take care of this wife.
(b) To go take care of the estate of Madame Walravens.
(c) Because he is sick of Europe.
(d) To get away from Madame Walravens.
2. Who does Lucy see leaving Madame Walravens house when she is visiting on behalf of Madame Beck?
(a) A young child.
(b) M. Paul.
(c) Dr. Graham.
(d) A priest.
3. How does Madame Walravens respond to Madame Beck's gift?
(a) She loves it.
(b) She throws it out the window.
(c) She does not know who Madame Beck is.
(d) She tell Lucy to take it back.
4. Why is Paulina nervous to tell her father about her love for Dr. Bretton?
(a) She does not want to hurt him.
(b) Her father does not want her to marry.
(c) She is afraid of her father.
(d) Her father does not like Dr. Bretton.
5. What is the Faubourg Clotilde?
(a) The city next to Villette .
(b) The new school that M. Paul has opened for Lucy.
(c) The boat that will carry M. Paul to his new destination.
(d) Graham and Paulina's new home.
6. What do Messieurs Boissec and Rochemorte ask Lucy to write an essay about?
(a) Right and wrong.
(b) Human justice.
(c) The social role of women.
7. When Lucy is on her way back to Rue Fossette from the fete-night, what strange sight does she see?
(a) A carriage with a white hankerchief waving out the window.
(b) Her dead mother.
(c) Ginevra and Dr. Graham walking together.
(d) The nun walking along the street.
8. What does Paulina tell Lucy she received from Graham when traveling across France with her father?
(b) A necklace.
(d) A letter.
9. Who works with Madame Beck to tell Lucy about M. Paul's situation with Madame Walravens?
(a) Pire Silas.
(c) Dr. Graham.
(d) M. Paul.
10. In Chapter 29, Mrs. Bretton sends a note to Lucy. What does the note say?
(a) She just wants to say hello.
(b) She would like Lucy to attend a lecture with her.
(c) She wants to let Lucy know she is leaving.
(d) She tells Lucy she is sick.
11. While Lucy and M. Paul are speaking together in the country, what does M. Paul call Lucy?
(a) Little sister.
(d) Little woman.
12. When Lucy sees M. Paul arrive at the fete-night with Justine Marie, his young ward, what does she think?
(a) M. Paul does not look happy at all .
(b) M. Paul will marry Justine Marie when he returns.
(c) M. Paul clearly does not like Justine Marie.
(d) Justine Marie is not very pretty.
13. Who seems to have her eye on M. Paul as a potential husband?
(b) Mrs. Bretton.
(c) Zylie St. Pierre.
14. While Lucy is walking alone through the park on an April day, who does she spy?
(a) M. Paul and Zylie.
(b) Dr. Bretton and Ginevra.
(c) The de Bassompierre's and Dr. Bretton.
(d) de Hamal and Ginevra.
15. What does M. Paul give to a child to pass on to Lucy as he is leaving the school?
(a) A flower.
(b) A note.
(c) A ring.
(d) A hankerchief.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is afraid to take messages to M. Paul because of his temper issues?
2. Lucy decides she will take the note to M. Paul. When she enters his classroom, how does he initially respond?
3. In Chapter 36, Lucy finds a lilac pamphlet in her desk. What is the pamphlet about?
4. What excuse does M. Paul give Lucy for not wanting to marry Zylie?
5. When Paulina and her father discuss Paulina's love for Graham, what do we learn about Paulina?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)