|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When everyone else at the school seems to be afraid of M. Paul and his temper, who is the one person who seems to challenge him?
(a) Mr. Home.
(c) Mrs. Bretton.
2. Madame Beck tells Lucy that M. Paul cannot marry. How does Lucy respond to this?
(a) She says she does not even like M. Paul.
(b) She says Madame Beck just wants him for herself.
(c) She tells Madame Beck that they are already married.
(d) She says that she understands.
3. What does M. Paul say when he joins Lucy in the alley and notices her pale coloring?
(a) She should spend more time outside.
(b) She should try to sleep more.
(c) She looks pretty.
(d) She needs looking after.
4. Lucy continues to observe Graham and Paulina together. What is Paulina's presence doing for Graham?
(a) Making him too feminine.
(b) Making him a better man.
(c) Making him distant.
(d) Making him rude to Lucy.
5. How does M. Paul react when he receives Lucy's gift for his fete-day?
(a) He does not care either way.
(b) He does not like it .
(c) He is very pleased.
(d) He is embarrassed.
6. Paulina asks Lucy her opinion of Graham. What does Lucy say about Graham?
(a) He does not like Paulina.
(b) He is too quiet.
(c) He is a kind man.
(d) He is rude.
7. M. Paul notes that his plans to leave Europe have changed, why have they changed?
(a) He has work to do before he goes.
(b) He wants to travel around Europe one last time.
(c) He is considering not going afterall.
(d) He wants to leave sooner than expected.
8. The more that Lucy and M. Paul speak about their religions, what does Lucy find?
(a) Religion is not a big deal.
(b) She cannot be friends with M. Paul.
(c) Their fundamental beliefs are the same.
(d) Catholicism is the right way.
9. In Chapter 38, who interrupts Lucy and M. Paul in the garden as he is holding her hand and is just about to tell her something?
(a) Graham and Paulina.
(d) Pire Silas and Madame Beck.
10. Lucy sees Ginevra close to the end of her honeymoon. How does Lucy describe Ginevra at this time?
(a) Happy but very tired.
(b) Beautiful and happy.
(c) Regretting her elopment.
(d) Scared to be a wife.
11. What do Messieurs Boissec and Rochemorte ask Lucy to write an essay about?
(a) The social role of women.
(c) Human justice.
(d) Right and wrong.
12. What is Lucy wearing the day of the school's breakfast in the country that causes M. Paul to make fun of her?
(a) Pointy shoes.
(b) A feathery hat.
(c) A pink dress.
(d) A boring shawl.
13. What excuse does M. Paul try to use to convince Lucy to take the public examination?
(a) Because he knows she will do great.
(b) To show Madame Beck .
(c) For the sake of their friendship.
(d) Because she is a teacher.
14. While Lucy and M. Paul are speaking together in the country, what does M. Paul call Lucy?
(b) Little woman.
(c) Little sister.
15. What month does Lucy tell the reader M. Paul's ship is due home?
Short Answer Questions
1. When Lucy returns to her room from the fete-night, what does she find sitting on her bed?
2. During the second year that Lucy is running her own school, what gift does she unexpectedly receive from a relative of Miss Marchmont?
3. In Chapter 41, M. Paul comes back to the Rue Fossette to say goodbye to Lucy. What is his reaction when he first sees her?
4. In Chapter 41, what does Lucy confess to M. Paul that she is worried about?
5. Lucy will never be Catholic. Why?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)