|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Madame Beck tells Lucy that M. Paul cannot marry. How does Lucy respond to this?
(a) She says she does not even like M. Paul.
(b) She tells Madame Beck that they are already married.
(c) She says Madame Beck just wants him for herself.
(d) She says that she understands.
2. When M. Paul asks Lucy to write down his stories, what excuse does she offer for not being able to?
(a) She does not like writing .
(b) She does not know how to write.
(c) She writes too slowly.
(d) She cannot because she is writing her own stories.
3. What is Lucy wearing the day of the school's breakfast in the country that causes M. Paul to make fun of her?
(a) A feathery hat.
(b) Pointy shoes.
(c) A boring shawl.
(d) A pink dress.
4. Who works with Madame Beck to tell Lucy about M. Paul's situation with Madame Walravens?
(b) Dr. Graham.
(c) M. Paul.
(d) Pire Silas.
5. What subject does M. Paul decide to teach Lucy himself?
6. When Ginevra's husband leaves the army, where do they go?
(a) They go to another part of France.
(b) They move back to La Rue Fossette.
(c) They live abroad.
(d) They remain in Villette.
7. What teacher leaves the school because of M. Paul and his fussing?
(b) Madame Panache.
(d) Madame Beck.
8. In Chapter 38, who interrupts Lucy and M. Paul in the garden as he is holding her hand and is just about to tell her something?
(a) Graham and Paulina.
(d) Pire Silas and Madame Beck.
9. Who does Lucy see when she sneaks off at night to the Haute-Ville for the fete night celebration?
(a) Mrs. Leigh.
(c) The Brettons.
(d) The nun.
10. The morning after the festival, Ginevra has gone missing. Where did she go?
(a) She eloped.
(b) She decided to go with M. Paul.
(c) She went back home.
(d) She was kidnapped.
11. When M. Paul asks Lucy how if she would welcome him back if he left for a number of years, how does Lucy respond?
(a) She asks when he is leaving.
(b) She says no.
(c) She begins to cry.
(d) She says of course.
12. Later that night, after Lucy has delivered the note to M. Paul, he stops by to read to the students. What does he read to them?
(a) A play by William Shakespeare.
(b) A poem he wrote.
(c) A passage from the Bible.
(d) Sections from his German lesson book.
13. In Chapter 36, Lucy finds a lilac pamphlet in her desk. What is the pamphlet about?
(a) Women's rights.
(d) Human rights.
14. How does Lucy respond to hearing about Graham and Paulina's love for each other?
(a) She is very jealous.
(b) She tells Paulina that it is right.
(c) She is disappointed because she wanted Graham.
(d) She becomes angry with Paulina.
15. After their big farm breakfast, Lucy and M. Paul sit together under a tree. What is Lucy doing?
(a) Writing a story.
(d) Reading to M. Paul.
Short Answer Questions
1. As M. Paul and Lucy walk together in the alley, what do they see coming out of a tree?
2. When Lucy returns to her room from the fete-night, what does she find sitting on her bed?
3. Two associates from the college are at La Rue Fossette to test Lucy. Why?
4. As the years pass, what news does Lucy hear of Ginevra's marriage?
5. What excuse does M. Paul try to use to convince Lucy to take the public examination?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)