|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the doctor, who found Lucy after she had fainted earlier?
(a) M. Paul.
(c) Dr. John.
(d) The priest.
2. In Chapter Two, how does Paulina act when sitting with the "adults"?
(a) She is bored and tries to leave.
(b) She is very talkative and childlike.
(c) She wants to play with Lucy.
(d) She tries to act like an adult, too.
3. How does Lucy feel when Madame Beck asks her if she can teach a class?
(a) She is excited.
(b) She says no and does not teach.
(c) She loves teaching.
(d) She is scared .
4. What does Lucy spend time doing when the students are gone for the summer?
(a) Going back to England.
(b) Visiting her childhood friends, the Bretton's.
(c) Wandering the countryside.
(d) Visiting family .
5. What is the one final exam that M. Paul cannot administer because he does not know the subject well enough?
6. In Chapter 10, who does Lucy recognize Dr. John to be when he comes to see Fifine?
(a) Mr. Home.
(b) Her friend from childhood.
(c) The man who assisted her the first night in Villette.
(d) One of the passengers on the voyage to France.
7. Lucy goes into the alley to the nun's tree. While she is there, what does she see
(a) M. Paul waiting for her.
(b) The figure of the nun.
(c) Ginevra and de Hamal.
8. When Graham is sitting with Lucy at the Prince's birthday dinner, who does he comment is a fine girl?
(c) Madame Beck.
9. Who does Graham seem to think Lucy is jealous of?
(a) Miss Fanshawe.
(b) Dr. John.
(c) The Cholmondeleys.
(d) The Watson's.
10. Who does Graham inquire after to Lucy?
(d) Madame Beck.
11. What does Lucy say in response to all of Dr. John's ravings about his object of affection?
(a) She says Dr. John is right.
(b) Love is blind.
(c) Dr. John is wrong.
(d) She and Dr. John are not friends.
12. How does Lucy view Paulina now that she is older?
(a) Shy and mousy.
(b) Rude and stuck-up.
(c) Silly and annoying.
(d) Serene and lady-like.
13. After the play, who scolds Ginevra for being without her shawl?
(a) Dr. John.
(c) Madame Beck.
14. Why does Lucy regularly visit the hotel?
(a) To tutor other students.
(b) To visit friends.
(c) To take German lessons.
(d) To get away from the school.
15. In Chapter 13, Lucy is in the Etude de soir for the evening to study but soon leaves, why does she leave?
(a) She does not need to study.
(b) It is dinner time.
(c) She hates the book of lectures.
(d) It is time for her to go to bed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What job is Lucy originally hired to do when working for Madame Beck?
2. What is the name of Dr. John's home?
3. What does Mr. Home's letter to Mrs. Bretton say?
4. After Mr. Home's leaves, who becomes Paulina's new object of affection?
5. When Graham is called away to work, Lucy and Paulina are left together and share a silent afternoon. How does Lucy seem to feel about this?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)