|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Dr. John take Lucy to the theater alone?
(a) Because he feels sorry for her.
(b) Because his mother cannot join them.
(c) Because he secretly loves her.
(d) To make Ginevra jealous.
2. After the play, who scolds Ginevra for being without her shawl?
(a) Dr. John.
(b) Madame Beck.
3. What is the one final exam that M. Paul cannot administer because he does not know the subject well enough?
4. How does Mr. Home respond to the news that Lucy is a teacher?
(a) He does not address it at all.
(b) He is embarrassed for her.
(c) He proclaims her a good example.
(d) He is rude .
5. In Chapter 15, Lucy walks into a church and speaks with the priest. What advice does he give her?
(a) She is fine.
(b) She should go to a Protestant church.
(c) She should become Catholic.
(d) Just pray.
6. Lucy must administer the exam that M. Paul cannot. How does she feel about this?
(a) She does not care.
(b) She says no and does not do it.
(c) She does not want to administer it, but has to.
(d) She is glad that she gets to administer the test.
7. Dr. John speaks with Lucy about the notes that she found. Who does it seem the notes are for?
(c) Madame Beck.
8. What does Lucy win at the lottery?
(a) A cigar case.
(b) A dress.
(c) A purse.
(d) A lady's turban.
9. What does Dr. John see Ginevra doing at the concert?
(a) Laughing at him and his mother.
(b) Sleeping during the music.
10. Lucy is about to read her letter from Dr. John when she sees a dark figure, a nun. What does she forget when she goes to tell Madame Beck and her guests about the nun?
(a) Her glasses.
(b) Her shoes.
(c) Her coat.
(d) Her letter.
11. When Lucy sees that her letters have been rifled through once again, what does she do?
(a) Locks them in a box.
(b) Burns them all.
(c) Has them sealed in a bottle.
(d) Hides them under her mattress.
12. How does Lucy feel her first night in London?
(b) Scared and overwhelmed.
(c) Happy and calm.
(d) Curious and ready for adventure.
13. What does Lucy spend time doing when the students are gone for the summer?
(a) Visiting family .
(b) Going back to England.
(c) Visiting her childhood friends, the Bretton's.
(d) Wandering the countryside.
14. After Mr. Home's leaves, who becomes Paulina's new object of affection?
(a) Mrs. Bretton.
(b) Lucy Snowe.
(d) A house-maid.
15. In Chapter Four, Lucy leaves the Brettons. Why?
(a) To return to family.
(b) To go to school.
(c) To travel .
(d) To join Paulina.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Paulina respond when Mr. Home's leaves in Chapter Three?
2. What color is the new dress that Mrs. Bretton purchases for Lucy?
3. A fortnight after Lucy's return to school, M. Paul delivers something to her. What is it?
4. What does Mr. Home's letter to Mrs. Bretton say?
5. When Mrs. Bretton mentions to M. de Bassompierre that Lucy is a teacher, how does Lucy feel?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)