|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Mr. Home's leaves, who becomes Paulina's new object of affection?
(a) A house-maid.
(b) Lucy Snowe.
(c) Mrs. Bretton.
2. Where does Lucy find herself near when she is praying in London?
(a) Buckingham Palace.
(b) St. Paul's .
(c) Big Ben.
(d) The Parliament Building.
3. When Graham is sitting with Lucy at the Prince's birthday dinner, who does he comment is a fine girl?
(d) Madame Beck.
4. Who does Graham inquire after to Lucy?
(d) Madame Beck.
5. After the play, who scolds Ginevra for being without her shawl?
(b) Dr. John.
(c) Madame Beck.
6. Where does Lucy go to read her letter from Dr. John?
(a) The dark garrett.
(b) Her classroom.
(c) The kitchen.
(d) The alley.
7. What does Dr. John see Ginevra doing at the concert?
(c) Sleeping during the music.
(d) Laughing at him and his mother.
8. How does Lucy view Paulina when she first meets her?
(a) Beautiful and friendly.
(b) Doll-like and peculiar.
(c) Jovial and energetic.
(d) Thoughtful and nice.
9. In Chapter 10, who does Lucy recognize Dr. John to be when he comes to see Fifine?
(a) Mr. Home.
(b) Her friend from childhood.
(c) The man who assisted her the first night in Villette.
(d) One of the passengers on the voyage to France.
10. What happens to Fifine to cause the doctor to have to be called?
(a) She is pretending to be sick.
(b) She has a tooth ache.
(c) She is very ill .
(d) She falls and hurts her arm.
11. Why does Madame Beck seem upset when Dr. John leaves?
(a) Because parents were upset that he was there.
(b) Because her daughter was sick.
(c) Because Dr. John does not seem interested in her admiration.
(d) Because Lucy spoke English.
12. When Miss Fanshawe comes to speak with Lucy in her classroom, what is she pleased to hear?
(a) Dr. John was jealous at the concert.
(b) Lucy feels much better.
(c) Lucy missed her when she was away.
(d) de Hamal loves Miss Fanshaw.
13. How does Mr. Home respond to the news that Lucy is a teacher?
(a) He is rude .
(b) He does not address it at all.
(c) He proclaims her a good example.
(d) He is embarrassed for her.
14. Why is Mr. Home's visiting Mrs. Bretton in the beginning of the novel?
(a) He is just passing through the area.
(b) He wants to see that his daughter is settled in.
(c) He is going to be picking up Lucy .
(d) He is a neighbor of Mrs. Bretton's.
15. What words best describe Ginevra?
(a) Very thoughtful and nice.
(b) Funny and intelligent .
(c) Hard-working and smart.
(d) Silly and petty.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Ginevra and Lucy are going to the speech, what comment does Ginevra make about her and Lucy both going to visit the de Bassompierre's?
2. What disaster happens during the play that leads to the patrons being evacuated from the hall?
3. Dysirye, Madame Beck's eldest daughter, is...
4. What is the name of the ship that Lucy takes to France?
5. What does Lucy spend time doing when the students are gone for the summer?
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)