|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Lucy returns to school, she notices her letters are missing. Who does she think has been looking at these letters?
(a) Madame Beck's three daughters.
(b) Madame Beck and M. Paul.
(c) Rosine, the housemaid.
2. How does Lucy feel about the Watson's, a family also on the voyage to France?
(a) She does not approve of them.
(b) She thinks that they are very kind.
(c) She is jealous of their wealth.
(d) She wants to be their friend.
3. Why is Mr. Home's visiting Mrs. Bretton in the beginning of the novel?
(a) He is going to be picking up Lucy .
(b) He wants to see that his daughter is settled in.
(c) He is just passing through the area.
(d) He is a neighbor of Mrs. Bretton's.
4. Lucy is about to read her letter from Dr. John when she sees a dark figure, a nun. What does she forget when she goes to tell Madame Beck and her guests about the nun?
(a) Her shoes.
(b) Her coat.
(c) Her glasses.
(d) Her letter.
5. What dark and quiet place does Lucy like to spend time alone at?
(a) The garden.
(b) The basement .
(c) Her room.
(d) The Forbidden Alley.
6. Where does Lucy look for work in Villette?
(a) At a school.
(b) Everywhere, she just needs a job.
(c) At someone's house .
(d) At an inn.
7. Who does Miss de Bassompierre end up being?
8. What does Lucy find is missing when she arrives in Villette?
(a) Her friend Ginevra.
(b) Her hat, she left it on the ship.
(c) Her trunk with all her belongings.
(d) Nothing, she did not bring anything.
9. Who does Graham inquire after to Lucy?
(b) Madame Beck.
10. Where does Lucy find herself near when she is praying in London?
(a) The Parliament Building.
(b) Big Ben.
(c) Buckingham Palace.
(d) St. Paul's .
11. When Ginevra and Lucy are going to the speech, what comment does Ginevra make about her and Lucy both going to visit the de Bassompierre's?
(a) She thinks it is funny; she thought Lucy was a nobody.
(b) She is glad because she really likes Lucy.
(c) She thinks Lucy is trying to steal Paulina's attention.
(d) She really does not like the de Bassompierre's.
12. Lucy must administer the exam that M. Paul cannot. How does she feel about this?
(a) She does not care.
(b) She does not want to administer it, but has to.
(c) She says no and does not do it.
(d) She is glad that she gets to administer the test.
13. Why does Lucy decide to go to Villette?
(a) The Watson's have invited her to go with them.
(b) She has friends in that city.
(c) Ginevra mentions she might teach there.
(d) She has always wanted to go to Villette.
14. What nickname does Graham tend to call Lucy?
(a) Silent Shadow.
(b) Wild Child.
(d) Little Teacher.
15. What does M. de Bassompierre ask Lucy to do for Paulina?
(a) Help her get ready for dinner parties.
(b) Be her companion.
(c) Teach her French.
(d) Be her personal tutor.
Short Answer Questions
1. From the interaction between Graham and Paulina at the Terrace, what doe Lucy infer?
2. When Lucy sees that her letters have been rifled through once again, what does she do?
3. Dr. John speaks with Lucy about the notes that she found. Who does it seem the notes are for?
4. Who does Lucy visit after Miss Marchmont dies?
5. How does Paulina respond when Mr. Home's leaves in Chapter Three?
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)