|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Fifine to cause the doctor to have to be called?
(a) She is very ill .
(b) She has a tooth ache.
(c) She is pretending to be sick.
(d) She falls and hurts her arm.
2. What does Lucy find is missing when she arrives in Villette?
(a) Her trunk with all her belongings.
(b) Her hat, she left it on the ship.
(c) Her friend Ginevra.
(d) Nothing, she did not bring anything.
3. What does M. de Bassompierre ask Lucy to do for Paulina?
(a) Be her companion.
(b) Teach her French.
(c) Help her get ready for dinner parties.
(d) Be her personal tutor.
4. What is the name of the ship that Lucy takes to France?
(a) The Star.
(b) The S.S. France.
(c) The Vivid.
(d) The Gloria.
5. Where does Lucy go to read her letter from Dr. John?
(a) The alley.
(b) The dark garrett.
(c) Her classroom.
(d) The kitchen.
6. What is the name of Dr. John's home?
(a) Beau Ciel .
(b) La Terrasse.
(c) Rue Fossette.
(d) Jour Heureux .
7. Paulina tells Lucy that her cousin Ginevra has told her much about love. What is one thing that Ginevra has told Paulina?
(a) That Lucy does not know anything about love.
(b) That Ginevra will marry Graham.
(c) That Paulina will marry Dr. John.
(d) That love is nothing.
8. Why is Mr. Home's visiting Mrs. Bretton in the beginning of the novel?
(a) He is going to be picking up Lucy .
(b) He is a neighbor of Mrs. Bretton's.
(c) He is just passing through the area.
(d) He wants to see that his daughter is settled in.
9. Where does M. Paul take Lucy so that she can practice for the play?
(a) The kitchen.
(b) Her room.
(c) The attic.
(d) The study room.
10. How does Lucy view Paulina when she first meets her?
(a) Doll-like and peculiar.
(b) Thoughtful and nice.
(c) Beautiful and friendly.
(d) Jovial and energetic.
11. In Chapter Two, how does Paulina act when sitting with the "adults"?
(a) She is bored and tries to leave.
(b) She tries to act like an adult, too.
(c) She wants to play with Lucy.
(d) She is very talkative and childlike.
12. What does Lucy find when she return to her room after leaving the Etude de soir?
(a) Madame Beck's daughters wanting to play.
(b) Rosine working.
(c) Madame Beck going through her belongings.
(d) That she has forgotten her books.
13. When Graham is sitting with Lucy at the Prince's birthday dinner, who does he comment is a fine girl?
(a) Madame Beck.
14. Who is the actress in the play that impresses Lucy with her drama and passion?
15. In Chapter 10, who does Lucy recognize Dr. John to be when he comes to see Fifine?
(a) Mr. Home.
(b) Her friend from childhood.
(c) One of the passengers on the voyage to France.
(d) The man who assisted her the first night in Villette.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mr. Home respond to the news that Lucy is a teacher?
2. How does Paulina respond when Mr. Home's leaves in Chapter Three?
3. Ginevra and Lucy attend a speech given in honor of the birthday of a young prince. Who is the speaker?
4. Who does Miss de Bassompierre end up being?
5. Where does Dr. Graham frequently drop off Lucy while he is working?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)