|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Dysirye, Madame Beck's eldest daughter, is...
(a) Lucy's favorite.
(b) Very helpful with her other sisters.
(d) A troublemaker.
2. What is the name of the ship that Lucy takes to France?
(a) The Gloria.
(b) The Star.
(c) The Vivid.
(d) The S.S. France.
3. How does Lucy feel when Madame Beck asks her if she can teach a class?
(a) She says no and does not teach.
(b) She is excited.
(c) She is scared .
(d) She loves teaching.
4. What words best describe Ginevra?
(a) Hard-working and smart.
(b) Silly and petty.
(c) Very thoughtful and nice.
(d) Funny and intelligent .
5. When Graham is called away to work, Lucy and Paulina are left together and share a silent afternoon. How does Lucy seem to feel about this?
(a) She assumes that Paulina is very shy.
(b) She thinks Paulina is rude.
(c) She wishes that other were there to talk with.
(d) She is pleased that Paulina is such quiet company.
6. When Lucy returns to school, she notices her letters are missing. Who does she think has been looking at these letters?
(b) Madame Beck's three daughters.
(c) Madame Beck and M. Paul.
(d) Rosine, the housemaid.
7. Who is Isidore?
(a) Lucy's friend .
(b) Another professor.
(c) A student at the school.
(d) Ginevra's suitor.
8. Who's illness leads to Dr. John being called to the school?
9. Who hurts Lucy's feelings at the hotel dinner by calling her a coquette?
(a) Mrs. Bretton.
(c) Mr. Home.
(d) M. Paul.
10. Who does Miss de Bassompierre end up being?
11. From the interaction between Graham and Paulina at the Terrace, what doe Lucy infer?
(a) That Graham recognizes Paulina.
(b) That Graham likes Lucy more than Paulina.
(c) That Graham wishes he had a little sister.
(d) That Graham does not remember Paulina.
12. In Chapter 10, who does Lucy recognize Dr. John to be when he comes to see Fifine?
(a) Her friend from childhood.
(b) Mr. Home.
(c) One of the passengers on the voyage to France.
(d) The man who assisted her the first night in Villette.
13. In Chapter Four, Lucy leaves the Brettons. Why?
(a) To travel .
(b) To join Paulina.
(c) To go to school.
(d) To return to family.
14. Who interrupts Lucy as she gazes at the Cleopatra?
(a) Madame Beck.
(b) Mrs. Bretton.
(c) Dr. John.
(d) M. Paul.
15. What nickname does Graham tend to call Lucy?
(a) Little Teacher.
(b) Silent Shadow.
(d) Wild Child.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Miss Fanshawe comes to speak with Lucy in her classroom, what is she pleased to hear?
2. What does M. de Bassompierre ask Lucy to do for Paulina?
3. What dark and quiet place does Lucy like to spend time alone at?
4. Why does Madame Beck seem upset when Dr. John leaves?
5. In who's house does Lucy find herself after she swoons?
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)