|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dr. John see Ginevra doing at the concert?
(b) Sleeping during the music.
(c) Laughing at him and his mother.
2. Why does Lucy decide to go to Villette?
(a) She has always wanted to go to Villette.
(b) She has friends in that city.
(c) The Watson's have invited her to go with them.
(d) Ginevra mentions she might teach there.
3. Who does Lucy visit after Miss Marchmont dies?
(a) Mrs. Bretton.
(c) Mrs. Barrett.
(d) Her family.
4. What is the school believed to have been before it was a school?
(a) The house of a rich widow.
(b) A graveyard.
(c) It has always been a school.
(d) A convent.
5. How do the parents seem to initially react when they hear that a doctor they do not know was called to look after their children?
(a) They did not even know there was a doctor called.
(d) They didn't care.
6. Where does Lucy look for work in Villette?
(a) At a school.
(b) At an inn.
(c) Everywhere, she just needs a job.
(d) At someone's house .
7. In Chapter Four, Lucy leaves the Brettons. Why?
(a) To travel .
(b) To go to school.
(c) To join Paulina.
(d) To return to family.
8. In Chapter 13, Lucy is in the Etude de soir for the evening to study but soon leaves, why does she leave?
(a) She does not need to study.
(b) It is time for her to go to bed.
(c) She hates the book of lectures.
(d) It is dinner time.
9. When Mrs. Bretton mentions to M. de Bassompierre that Lucy is a teacher, how does Lucy feel?
(a) Happy that Mrs. Bretton brought it up.
(d) She doesn't care what he thinks.
10. In who's house does Lucy find herself after she swoons?
(a) Mrs. Bretton's.
(b) Her own house.
(c) Mrs. Leigh's.
(d) Madame Beck's.
11. When Ginevra and Lucy are going to the speech, what comment does Ginevra make about her and Lucy both going to visit the de Bassompierre's?
(a) She thinks Lucy is trying to steal Paulina's attention.
(b) She is glad because she really likes Lucy.
(c) She thinks it is funny; she thought Lucy was a nobody.
(d) She really does not like the de Bassompierre's.
12. In Chapter 12, a small object falls out of a window that Lucy is sitting under. What is that object?
(a) A locket.
(b) A flower.
(c) A casket.
(d) A candy.
13. Lucy is about to read her letter from Dr. John when she sees a dark figure, a nun. What does she forget when she goes to tell Madame Beck and her guests about the nun?
(a) Her letter.
(b) Her coat.
(c) Her glasses.
(d) Her shoes.
14. Who does Graham inquire after to Lucy?
(c) Madame Beck.
15. How does Lucy view Paulina when she first meets her?
(a) Beautiful and friendly.
(b) Doll-like and peculiar.
(c) Thoughtful and nice.
(d) Jovial and energetic.
Short Answer Questions
1. From the interaction between Graham and Paulina at the Terrace, what doe Lucy infer?
2. What happens to Fifine to cause the doctor to have to be called?
3. How does Lucy feel her first night in London?
4. Lucy must administer the exam that M. Paul cannot. How does she feel about this?
5. Why does Dr. John take Lucy to the theater alone?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)