|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Lucy Snowe?
(a) Mrs. Bretton's granddaughter.
(b) Paulina's sister.
(c) Mrs. Bretton's goddaughter.
(d) Mr. Home's neice.
2. In Chapter 14, what big summer celebration is going to take place?
(a) All Saint's Day.
(b) The end of school.
(c) Independence Day.
(d) Madame Beck's birthday.
3. What does Graham offer Paulina when they are at the Terrace?
(a) Hot cocoa.
(d) Old October.
4. How does Lucy feel about the Watson's, a family also on the voyage to France?
(a) She does not approve of them.
(b) She is jealous of their wealth.
(c) She wants to be their friend.
(d) She thinks that they are very kind.
5. Who's decision gives Lucy the job at Madame Beck's?
(b) Madame Beck.
(c) A friendly Englishman.
(d) Professor M. Paul.
6. Where does Dr. Graham frequently drop off Lucy while he is working?
(a) The store.
(b) A museum.
(c) Rue Fossette.
(d) The park.
7. What dark and quiet place does Lucy like to spend time alone at?
(a) The Forbidden Alley.
(b) Her room.
(c) The basement .
(d) The garden.
8. In Chapter Two, how does Paulina act when sitting with the "adults"?
(a) She is very talkative and childlike.
(b) She is bored and tries to leave.
(c) She wants to play with Lucy.
(d) She tries to act like an adult, too.
9. In Chapter 13, Lucy is in the Etude de soir for the evening to study but soon leaves, why does she leave?
(a) She hates the book of lectures.
(b) She does not need to study.
(c) It is time for her to go to bed.
(d) It is dinner time.
10. Where does Lucy look for work in Villette?
(a) Everywhere, she just needs a job.
(b) At a school.
(c) At an inn.
(d) At someone's house .
11. What disaster happens during the play that leads to the patrons being evacuated from the hall?
(a) Lucy faints.
(b) A fire breaks out.
(c) An earthquake .
(d) Someone gets sick.
12. Why does Lucy decide to go to Villette?
(a) Ginevra mentions she might teach there.
(b) She has friends in that city.
(c) The Watson's have invited her to go with them.
(d) She has always wanted to go to Villette.
13. After Mr. Home's leaves, who becomes Paulina's new object of affection?
(a) Lucy Snowe.
(b) A house-maid.
(d) Mrs. Bretton.
14. How does Lucy feel her first night in London?
(a) Curious and ready for adventure.
(c) Scared and overwhelmed.
(d) Happy and calm.
15. What words best describe Ginevra?
(a) Funny and intelligent .
(b) Hard-working and smart.
(c) Silly and petty.
(d) Very thoughtful and nice.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Ginevra Fanshawe also going to France?
2. What job is Lucy originally hired to do when working for Madame Beck?
3. What nickname does Graham tend to call Lucy?
4. Lucy must administer the exam that M. Paul cannot. How does she feel about this?
5. What color is the new dress that Mrs. Bretton purchases for Lucy?
This section contains 524 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)