|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Lucy spend so much time with Miss Marchmont in Chapter Four?
(a) Lucy is her tutor.
(b) Lucy is hired to care for her.
(c) She is Lucy's best childhood friend.
(d) She is Lucy's sister.
2. Who's decision gives Lucy the job at Madame Beck's?
(b) Professor M. Paul.
(c) A friendly Englishman.
(d) Madame Beck.
3. When Lucy returns to school, she notices her letters are missing. Who does she think has been looking at these letters?
(b) Rosine, the housemaid.
(c) Madame Beck and M. Paul.
(d) Madame Beck's three daughters.
4. In Chapter Four, Lucy leaves the Brettons. Why?
(a) To travel .
(b) To join Paulina.
(c) To return to family.
(d) To go to school.
5. What disaster happens during the play that leads to the patrons being evacuated from the hall?
(a) Someone gets sick.
(b) Lucy faints.
(c) An earthquake .
(d) A fire breaks out.
6. Who interrupts Lucy as she gazes at the Cleopatra?
(a) M. Paul.
(b) Madame Beck.
(c) Mrs. Bretton.
(d) Dr. John.
7. What does Lucy say in response to all of Dr. John's ravings about his object of affection?
(a) She says Dr. John is right.
(b) Love is blind.
(c) She and Dr. John are not friends.
(d) Dr. John is wrong.
8. What nickname does Graham tend to call Lucy?
(a) Little Teacher.
(b) Silent Shadow.
(d) Wild Child.
9. How does Lucy view Paulina when she first meets her?
(a) Beautiful and friendly.
(b) Jovial and energetic.
(c) Doll-like and peculiar.
(d) Thoughtful and nice.
10. What is the school believed to have been before it was a school?
(a) It has always been a school.
(b) A graveyard.
(c) A convent.
(d) The house of a rich widow.
11. In Chapter 12, a small object falls out of a window that Lucy is sitting under. What is that object?
(a) A locket.
(b) A flower.
(c) A casket.
(d) A candy.
12. Why does Dr. John take Lucy to the theater alone?
(a) Because his mother cannot join them.
(b) Because he feels sorry for her.
(c) To make Ginevra jealous.
(d) Because he secretly loves her.
13. How does Lucy feel about the Watson's, a family also on the voyage to France?
(a) She is jealous of their wealth.
(b) She thinks that they are very kind.
(c) She wants to be their friend.
(d) She does not approve of them.
14. Lucy must administer the exam that M. Paul cannot. How does she feel about this?
(a) She does not care.
(b) She does not want to administer it, but has to.
(c) She is glad that she gets to administer the test.
(d) She says no and does not do it.
15. How does Mr. Home respond to the news that Lucy is a teacher?
(a) He proclaims her a good example.
(b) He is rude .
(c) He does not address it at all.
(d) He is embarrassed for her.
Short Answer Questions
1. In who's house does Lucy find herself after she swoons?
2. What does M. de Bassompierre ask Lucy to do for Paulina?
3. Who does Lucy visit after Miss Marchmont dies?
4. When Lucy sees that her letters have been rifled through once again, what does she do?
5. What dark and quiet place does Lucy like to spend time alone at?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)