Chapter 1, Bretton | Chapter 2, Paulina
* Lucy Snowe is visiting her godmother.
* A little girl, Paulina Mary, comes to stay with the Brettons because her father is leaving the country.
* Paulina misses her father terribly until one day when he comes back.
* Paulina's demeanor changes when her father arrives and she is happy again.
Chapter 3, The Playmates | Chapter 4, Miss Marchmont
* Mr. Home leaves again and Paulina is distraught.
* Paulina turns her affections toward Graham.
* Graham dismisses Paulina when his friends are there and Lucy tries to comfort her.
* Years pass and Lucy's family dies, leaving her alone.
* Lucy goes to work as a caregiver for Miss Marchmont.
* Miss Marchmont dies, leaving Lucy alone again.
Chapter 5, Turning a New Leaf | Chapter 6, London
* Lucy is in need of a job and decides to go to London.
* Lucy is slightly overcome by the sights and sounds of the city.
* Lucy decides to go...
This section contains 1,996 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)