Chapter 1, Bretton | Chapter 2, Paulina
• Lucy Snowe is visiting her godmother.
• A little girl, Paulina Mary, comes to stay with the Brettons because her father is leaving the country.
• Paulina misses her father terribly until one day when he comes back.
• Paulina's demeanor changes when her father arrives and she is happy again.
Chapter 3, The Playmates | Chapter 4, Miss Marchmont
• Mr. Home leaves again and Paulina is distraught.
• Paulina turns her affections toward Graham.
• Graham dismisses Paulina when his friends are there and Lucy tries to comfort her.
• Years pass and Lucy's family dies, leaving her alone.
• Lucy goes to work as a caregiver for Miss Marchmont.
• Miss Marchmont dies, leaving Lucy alone again.
Chapter 5, Turning a New Leaf | Chapter 6, London
• Lucy is in need of a job and decides to go to London.
• Lucy is slightly overcome by the sights and sounds of the city.
This section contains 2,026 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)