|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does the narrator NOT mention as something that might cause Mr. Fairbain to embarrass himself?
2. What does Ham Knapp do in chapter 6 to disrupt Mrs. Olinski's class?
3. What does Mr. Singh tell Mrs. Olinski it takes more courage to do?
4. Whom does Holly Blackwell tell her colleague to focus on?
5. Which fictional character is featured in the match-point question at the Academic Bowl?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the thoughts Mrs. Olinski has while watching Noah, Nadia, Ethan and Julian drink tea together at Sillington House.
2. Explain Julian's answer to the question about acronyms that have entered the language as words.
3. Describe the relationship between Epiphany and Knightsbridge in chapter 7.
4. Why is Dr. Rohmer so worried about the district championship?
5. Describe the mood at Sillington House when Mrs. Olinski comes to visit in chapter 12 and why the mood is the way it is.
6. Explain the exchange that happens between the commissioner and Julian about the disagreement about the word "tip," why it is important and how the other Souls feel about it.
7. Describe how Mrs. Olinski feels about Julian in the first part of chapter 5.
8. When she arrives at Sillington House to visit Margy, Mrs. Olinski is overcome with emotion. Which emotions is she feeling and why?
9. Describe how each of the Academic Bowl teams reacts to Epiphany's win.
10. What does Mrs. Olinski ask The Souls in chapter 12? What does she mean by this question, and what is The Souls' answer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how The Souls become friends and describe what their friendship is like. Then choose one of the characters from the group and explain what the friendship means to that member in particular.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the question Mrs. Olinski asks The Souls at the end of the book and how it relates to the topics of friendship and journeys.
Essay Topic 3
Explain what Nadia tells her father that the turtles do between the time they hatch and the time they mate. Then, describe how Nadia herself is like the turtles.
This section contains 1,323 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)