|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Mr. LeDue?
2. How can Mrs. Diamonstein tell Ethan has grown when she sees him?
3. What does Julian say "tip" was an acronym for?
4. What does Julian do in the car on the way home from the state championship?
5. What does Bella Dubinsky's T-shirt design for The Souls feature?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Mrs. Olinski feels about Julian in the first part of chapter 5.
2. Explain how Mrs. Olinski feels when the state championships are over and why.
3. Describe the relationship between Epiphany and Knightsbridge in chapter 7.
4. What answer does Mr. Singh give Mrs. Olinski for how she chose her team?
5. Describe how Mrs. Olinski uses real life to prepare practice questions for The Souls and give an example.
6. What difficulty does the commissioner of education have with the match-point question, and what does he do to help prevent any problems?
7. Describe how each of the Academic Bowl teams reacts to Epiphany's win.
8. Explain Julian's answer to the question about acronyms that have entered the language as words.
9. Explain the discussion The Souls have with Mrs. Olinski before they begin practicing in chapter 8 and what the outcome is.
10. How do The Souls raise the money to pay for the buses to Albany?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using specific examples, explain how mistakes and perfectionism are recurring themes throughout the book.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the narrative style of "The View from Saturday" and explain how this narrative style affects the reader's experience of the story.
Essay Topic 3
It is hinted throughout the novel that sixth graders have changed. Explain some of the examples from the book that support this idea, and state whether you believe that it's true. Support your answer.
This section contains 1,217 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)