|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Singh say Julian found?
2. At the beginning of chapter 7, which team does the narrator claim would worry about Julian's defiance of the commissioner?
3. What is the first acronym that Maxwell suggests in chapter 9?
4. Whose name did Mr. Fairbain mispronounce during the previous year's championship?
5. What word could be used to describe the food Mrs. Olinski eats while at Sillington House?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the exchange that happens between the commissioner and Julian about the disagreement about the word "tip," why it is important and how the other Souls feel about it.
2. Describe the brief conversation that Mr. Singh and Mrs. Olinski have just before The Souls begin to practice in chapter 8.
3. Describe how each of the Academic Bowl teams reacts to Epiphany's win.
4. What difficulty does the commissioner of education have with the match-point question, and what does he do to help prevent any problems?
5. How do The Souls raise the money to pay for the buses to Albany?
6. Why is Dr. Rohmer so worried about the district championship?
7. Explain what happens on the issue of Julian's answer of "tip" to the acronym question in the end.
8. What happens to Mrs. Olinski as she is having tea?
9. Describe the conversation Mr. Singh and Mrs. Olinski have in the car on the way to the state championship.
10. Describe Dr. Rohmer's reaction to The Souls' publicity.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how E.L. Konigsburg uses foreshadowing and flashbacks and the effect this technique has on the reader's emotion and what the reader knows. Be sure to use specific details from the story!
Essay Topic 2
It is hinted throughout the novel that sixth graders have changed. Explain some of the examples from the book that support this idea, and state whether you believe that it's true. Support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The relationship that Mrs. Olinski has to The Souls is a two-way relationship. Explain why this is true by describing how the relationship has helped both The Souls and Mrs. Olinski. Finally, explain what The Souls' desire to help says about the character of each of the members.
This section contains 1,303 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)