|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When is the deadline for choosing an Academic Bowl team?
2. What does Mr. Singh say is now missing?
3. What source(s) does the advisory panel consult when checking Julian's answer?
4. Whom does Holly Blackwell tell her colleague to focus on?
5. What word does Mrs. Olinski use to describe what Ham has done?
Short Essay Questions
1. When she arrives at Sillington House to visit Margy, Mrs. Olinski is overcome with emotion. Which emotions is she feeling and why?
2. Describe the brief conversation that Mr. Singh and Mrs. Olinski have just before The Souls begin to practice in chapter 8.
3. What does Mr. Fairbain do during the district championship, and why does this make Dr. Rohmer so uncomfortable?
4. Explain what happens on the issue of Julian's answer of "tip" to the acronym question in the end.
5. Why is Dr. Rohmer so worried about the district championship?
6. What difficulty does the commissioner of education have with the match-point question, and what does he do to help prevent any problems?
7. Describe how each of the Academic Bowl teams reacts to Epiphany's win.
8. Explain Julian's answer to the question about acronyms that have entered the language as words.
9. What does Mrs. Olinski ask The Souls in chapter 12? What does she mean by this question, and what is The Souls' answer?
10. Describe the conversation Mr. Singh and Mrs. Olinski have in the car on the way to the state championship.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the conversation that Mrs. Olinski and Dr. Rohmer have about multiculturalism in chapter 2. Then explain what this conversation tells the reader about Dr. Rohmer's views of multiculturalism versus Mrs. Olinski's views.
Essay Topic 2
Explain how the topic of courtesy repeats itself throughout the novel and how the idea of courtesy helps the reader to see each of the characters.
Essay Topic 3
The relationship that Mrs. Olinski has to The Souls is a two-way relationship. Explain why this is true by describing how the relationship has helped both The Souls and Mrs. Olinski. Finally, explain what The Souls' desire to help says about the character of each of the members.
This section contains 1,386 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)