|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Julian say "tip" was an acronym for?
2. What does Ham Knapp do in chapter 6 to disrupt Mrs. Olinski's class?
3. What does Mrs. Olinski say about Julian's intelligence in chapter 5?
4. When did Mr. Singh pass his first driving test?
5. What does Mrs. Olinski know when she arrives at Sillington House in chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. In chapter 5, the reader finds out how Mrs. Olinski chose each of the members of her Academic Bowl team. Explain how she did it.
2. Explain Julian's answer to the question about acronyms that have entered the language as words.
3. Explain the exchange that happens between the commissioner and Julian about the disagreement about the word "tip," why it is important and how the other Souls feel about it.
4. What does Mr. Fairbain do during the district championship, and why does this make Dr. Rohmer so uncomfortable?
5. Explain what happens on the issue of Julian's answer of "tip" to the acronym question in the end.
6. What does Mrs. Olinski ask The Souls in chapter 12? What does she mean by this question, and what is The Souls' answer?
7. Describe the thoughts Mrs. Olinski has while watching Noah, Nadia, Ethan and Julian drink tea together at Sillington House.
8. What answer does Mr. Singh give Mrs. Olinski for how she chose her team?
9. How do The Souls raise the money to pay for the buses to Albany?
10. Describe how Mrs. Olinski feels about Julian in the first part of chapter 5.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain what Nadia tells her father that the turtles do between the time they hatch and the time they mate. Then, describe how Nadia herself is like the turtles.
Essay Topic 2
In chapter 10, Mr. Singh tells Mrs. Olinski that "It often takes more courage to be a passenger than a driver." Explain what he means by this quote and give a descriptive example using one of the characters from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Explain what the four main types of plot conflicts are and give an example of one plot conflict from the book, explaining why the situation you chose is a plot conflict and which category it belongs to.
This section contains 1,456 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)