|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When is the deadline for choosing an Academic Bowl team?
2. How does Mrs. Olinski feel about Julian when he disappears before the play?
3. What word does Mrs. Olinski use to describe what Ham has done?
4. Which quiz category do The Souls and Mrs. Olinski debate when getting ready to practice at the end of chapter 8?
5. What is the second acronym that Maxwell suggests in chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what happens on the issue of Julian's answer of "tip" to the acronym question in the end.
2. How do The Souls raise the money to pay for the buses to Albany?
3. Explain Julian's answer to the question about acronyms that have entered the language as words.
4. What difficulty does the commissioner of education have with the match-point question, and what does he do to help prevent any problems?
5. What answer does Mr. Singh give Mrs. Olinski for how she chose her team?
6. Describe how Mrs. Olinski feels about Julian in the first part of chapter 5.
7. How do Dr. Rohmer's instructions to Dr. Fairbain backfire on him in the end?
8. In chapter 5, the reader finds out how Mrs. Olinski chose each of the members of her Academic Bowl team. Explain how she did it.
9. Explain what The Souls do after their win to show their support and unity with Mrs. Olinski.
10. What goes through Mrs. Olinski's mind as Mr. Singh wheels her in to Sillington House?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain what the four main types of plot conflicts are and give an example of one plot conflict from the book, explaining why the situation you chose is a plot conflict and which category it belongs to.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the question Mrs. Olinski asks The Souls at the end of the book and how it relates to the topics of friendship and journeys.
Essay Topic 3
Explain how The Souls become friends and describe what their friendship is like. Then choose one of the characters from the group and explain what the friendship means to that member in particular.
This section contains 1,392 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)