|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Olinski know when she arrives at Sillington House in chapter 12?
2. What does Bella Dubinsky's T-shirt design for The Souls feature?
3. What does Mr. Singh say is now missing?
4. What does Mr. Singh say Julian found?
5. What does Mrs. Olinski think Mr. Singh's voice sounds like?
Short Essay Questions
1. What difficulty does the commissioner of education have with the match-point question, and what does he do to help prevent any problems?
2. How do The Souls raise the money to pay for the buses to Albany?
3. Explain how Mrs. Olinski feels when the state championships are over and why.
4. Give examples of other teachers that observe The Souls' success and how they react to it.
5. How does Mrs. Olinski outsmart Ham Knapp in chapter 6?
6. How do Dr. Rohmer's instructions to Dr. Fairbain backfire on him in the end?
7. What answer does Mr. Singh give Mrs. Olinski for how she chose her team?
8. Explain the discussion The Souls have with Mrs. Olinski before they begin practicing in chapter 8 and what the outcome is.
9. Describe Dr. Rohmer's reaction to The Souls' publicity.
10. What happens to Mrs. Olinski as she is having tea?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how E.L. Konigsburg uses foreshadowing and flashbacks and the effect this technique has on the reader's emotion and what the reader knows. Be sure to use specific details from the story!
Essay Topic 2
Explain what the four main types of plot conflicts are and give an example of one plot conflict from the book, explaining why the situation you chose is a plot conflict and which category it belongs to.
Essay Topic 3
It is hinted throughout the novel that sixth graders have changed. Explain some of the examples from the book that support this idea, and state whether you believe that it's true. Support your answer.
This section contains 1,374 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)