|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word could be used to describe the food Mrs. Olinski eats while at Sillington House?
2. What does Julian do in the car on the way home from the state championship?
3. What source(s) does the advisory panel consult when checking Julian's answer?
4. What does the commissioner take away from Julian at the beginning of chapter 9?
5. How does Mrs. Olinski say her team seems to communicate?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Mrs. Olinski feels about Julian in the first part of chapter 5.
2. How do The Souls raise the money to pay for the buses to Albany?
3. When she arrives at Sillington House to visit Margy, Mrs. Olinski is overcome with emotion. Which emotions is she feeling and why?
4. Why is Dr. Rohmer so worried about the district championship?
5. Explain what The Souls do after their win to show their support and unity with Mrs. Olinski.
6. What difficulty does the commissioner of education have with the match-point question, and what does he do to help prevent any problems?
7. How do Dr. Rohmer's instructions to Dr. Fairbain backfire on him in the end?
8. Give examples of other teachers that observe The Souls' success and how they react to it.
9. Describe how each of the Academic Bowl teams reacts to Epiphany's win.
10. How does Mrs. Olinski outsmart Ham Knapp in chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
It is hinted throughout the novel that sixth graders have changed. Explain some of the examples from the book that support this idea, and state whether you believe that it's true. Support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
In chapter 10, Mr. Singh tells Mrs. Olinski that "It often takes more courage to be a passenger than a driver." Explain what he means by this quote and give a descriptive example using one of the characters from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Explain what Julian finds out about Ham just before Ginger plays Sandy at the first performance of Annie, what he decides to do about it, and what this says about Julian's character.
This section contains 1,445 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)