|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Singh say is now missing?
2. What does Mr. Singh say Julian found?
3. What word does Mrs. Olinski compare Mrs. Diamondstein's jogging suit to?
4. What does Mrs. Olinski know when she arrives at Sillington House in chapter 12?
5. What does Mrs. Olinski do after returning home from the state championship?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Julian's answer to the question about acronyms that have entered the language as words.
2. Explain the discussion The Souls have with Mrs. Olinski before they begin practicing in chapter 8 and what the outcome is.
3. Describe the conversation Mr. Singh and Mrs. Olinski have in the car on the way to the state championship.
4. What does Mrs. Olinski ask The Souls in chapter 12? What does she mean by this question, and what is The Souls' answer?
5. Give examples of other teachers that observe The Souls' success and how they react to it.
6. What goes through Mrs. Olinski's mind as Mr. Singh wheels her in to Sillington House?
7. Explain what The Souls do after their win to show their support and unity with Mrs. Olinski.
8. How do The Souls raise the money to pay for the buses to Albany?
9. How does Mrs. Olinski outsmart Ham Knapp in chapter 6?
10. Describe the thoughts Mrs. Olinski has while watching Noah, Nadia, Ethan and Julian drink tea together at Sillington House.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe what Mrs. Olinski decides to do in order to get to know Ethan better, and explain why this is important to Ethan and how it relates to Ethan's character.
Essay Topic 2
Explain how Julian, Ethan, Nadia and Mrs. Olinski all contribute to the novel's theme of feeling like an outsider.
Essay Topic 3
The relationship that Mrs. Olinski has to The Souls is a two-way relationship. Explain why this is true by describing how the relationship has helped both The Souls and Mrs. Olinski. Finally, explain what The Souls' desire to help says about the character of each of the members.
This section contains 1,389 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)