|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first thing Mrs. Olinski says to Mr. Singh on the way home?
2. What does Mr. Singh say is now missing?
3. Mrs. Olinski says the ruckus at the theater is not mischief, but what?
4. What color is Mrs. Diamondstein's jogging suit when Mrs. Olinski comes to the Sillington House to visit?
5. Whom does Mrs. Olinski ask to write the instructions for the new "lesson" on the board?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mrs. Olinski outsmart Ham Knapp in chapter 6?
2. What answer does Mr. Singh give Mrs. Olinski for how she chose her team?
3. Explain Julian's answer to the question about acronyms that have entered the language as words.
4. Describe Dr. Rohmer's reaction to The Souls' publicity.
5. What goes through Mrs. Olinski's mind as Mr. Singh wheels her in to Sillington House?
6. What difficulty does the commissioner of education have with the match-point question, and what does he do to help prevent any problems?
7. Describe the brief conversation that Mr. Singh and Mrs. Olinski have just before The Souls begin to practice in chapter 8.
8. What does Mr. Fairbain do during the district championship, and why does this make Dr. Rohmer so uncomfortable?
9. Explain how Mrs. Olinski feels when the state championships are over and why.
10. Describe how Mrs. Olinski feels about Julian in the first part of chapter 5.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the question Mrs. Olinski asks The Souls at the end of the book and how it relates to the topics of friendship and journeys.
Essay Topic 2
Explain how the topic of courtesy repeats itself throughout the novel and how the idea of courtesy helps the reader to see each of the characters.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the narrative style of "The View from Saturday" and explain how this narrative style affects the reader's experience of the story.
This section contains 1,310 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)