|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bella Dubinsky's T-shirt design for The Souls feature?
2. What word does Mrs. Olinski compare Mrs. Diamondstein's jogging suit to?
3. Which member of the Epiphany team answers the final question?
4. What word could be used to describe the food Mrs. Olinski eats while at Sillington House?
5. How can Mrs. Diamonstein tell Ethan has grown when she sees him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Dr. Rohmer so worried about the district championship?
2. What goes through Mrs. Olinski's mind as Mr. Singh wheels her in to Sillington House?
3. Describe the conversation Mr. Singh and Mrs. Olinski have in the car on the way to the state championship.
4. Explain what happens on the issue of Julian's answer of "tip" to the acronym question in the end.
5. What answer does Mr. Singh give Mrs. Olinski for how she chose her team?
6. How do Dr. Rohmer's instructions to Dr. Fairbain backfire on him in the end?
7. Explain Julian's answer to the question about acronyms that have entered the language as words.
8. Describe how each of the Academic Bowl teams reacts to Epiphany's win.
9. What does Mr. Fairbain do during the district championship, and why does this make Dr. Rohmer so uncomfortable?
10. In chapter 5, the reader finds out how Mrs. Olinski chose each of the members of her Academic Bowl team. Explain how she did it.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain what the four main types of plot conflicts are and give an example of one plot conflict from the book, explaining why the situation you chose is a plot conflict and which category it belongs to.
Essay Topic 2
Explain how The Souls become friends and describe what their friendship is like. Then choose one of the characters from the group and explain what the friendship means to that member in particular.
Essay Topic 3
Describe what Mrs. Olinski decides to do in order to get to know Ethan better, and explain why this is important to Ethan and how it relates to Ethan's character.
This section contains 1,335 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)