|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color is Nadia's hair?
2. What does Mrs. Olinski know about Ethan before she met him?
(a) That he is independent.
(b) That he is smart.
(c) That he is tough.
(d) That he is Mrs. Draper's grandson.
3. Why doesn't Margy ever carry turtles to the water?
(a) She doesn't like the feeling of their shells in her hands.
(b) The turtles need to walk across their native sand.
(c) She thinks that they need to make it on their own or die if they're not strong enough.
(d) She thinks it's too much work.
4. Who chooses The Souls' name?
5. Why does the commissioner admonish the audience not to applaud after Ethan's answer?
(a) It's distracting to both teams.
(b) Only the judges can decide if the answer was right.
(c) It's not fair to the other team.
(d) It shows favoritism.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did sixth graders use to ask, according to the narrator?
2. What is the topic of the workshop Dr. Rohmer completed?
3. What is Mrs. Olinski wearing at the Bowl?
4. What does Nadia think of Margy?
5. What word does Noah look up after Izzy's comment about his divorce and his father's marriage?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how the wedding cake is ruined and how it is saved again.
2. What does Mrs. Draper notice about sixth graders in her time as a teacher and principal?
3. Describe the relationship between Mrs. Olinski and Mrs. Draper.
4. Why is Julian worried about Ginger's understudy?
5. Explain how Mrs. Olinski goes about gaining an impression of Ethan.
6. What are Julian's first few days at school like?
7. What is Mrs. Olinski's impression of the commissioner of education as he directs the Academic Bowl?
8. What happens that reminds Mrs. Olinski of how she chose the fourth member of her Academic Bowl team, and what can the reader now infer from her statements about this choice?
9. What does Noah tell the reader about Allen Diamondstein?
10. What chicken-and-egg discussion do The Souls get into with Mrs. Olinski in the first chapter?
This section contains 1,193 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)