|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the commissioner respond to Maxwell's answer to the match-point question?
(a) He hesitates before saying "Yes".
(b) He hesitates before saying "No".
(c) He waits for the panel of experts to give its ruling.
(d) He says "No" before they can finish responding.
2. What source(s) does the advisory panel consult when checking Julian's answer?
(a) A computer.
(b) Large books.
(c) A computer and large books.
(d) An expert and a computer.
3. Which book is part of the correct answer to the match-point question?
(a) "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe".
(b) "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland".
(c) "Through the Looking Glass".
(d) "Mother Goose's Nursery Rhymes".
4. What does Mr. Singh say Julian found?
(b) A permanent home.
(c) A place to belong to.
5. How do the other teachers choose their Academic Bowl teams?
(a) By picking the top students from the honor roll.
(b) By picking the students with the highest GPAs.
(c) By holding mini-contests in their classes and choosing the winners of those.
(d) By picking the students they like best.
6. Whose name did Mr. Fairbain mispronounce during the previous year's championship?
(a) Michael Jackson's.
(b) Nelson Mandela's.
(c) Pope John Paul II's.
(d) Queen Elizabeth's.
7. Whom does Mr. Fairbain want to get help from?
(a) A speech therapist.
(b) An English teacher.
(c) A reading teacher.
(d) A psychologist.
8. What arrangement does Mrs. Olinski make with the principal in regards to practicing for the regional championship?
(a) She arranges to have the school opened on Sunday.
(b) She arranges to have the school opened early in the morning.
(c) She arranges to have the school left open at night.
(d) She arranges to have the school opened on Saturday.
9. What sign does Nadia give Mrs. Olinski after Ham and Jared return to their seats in chapter 6?
(a) She raises her right hand.
(b) She raises her left hand.
(c) She sticks out her left leg.
(d) She sticks out her right leg.
10. What does Julian do in the car on the way home from the state championship?
(a) He reads.
(b) He sleeps.
(c) He chats with his dad and Mrs. Olinski.
(d) He plays games.
11. Why does Mrs. Sharkey say she thinks there's a chance The Souls could beat the seventh grade?
(a) The Souls are truly brilliant.
(b) The seventh grade doesn't like to work hard.
(c) Mrs. Olinski has trained The Souls so well.
(d) The seventh grade is mediocre at best.
12. Where does the author mentioned in the follow-up question teach?
(a) Cambridge University.
(b) Oxford University.
(c) New York University.
(d) Epiphany Middle School.
13. What does Bella Dubinsky's T-shirt design for The Souls feature?
(a) A ghost.
(b) A penny.
(c) A picture of Sillington House.
(d) A noose.
14. Why do The Souls refuse to practice on Saturday?
(a) They don't want to spend their weekend practicing.
(b) They will be busy working on a project.
(c) They will be busy having tea.
(d) One of The Souls is Jewish and another is half-Jewish.
15. What do Michael Froehlich and his friends pin on their shirts when Epiphany wins the district championship?
(a) A ribbon.
(b) A piece of wire.
(c) A piece of rope.
(d) A sign that reads: "Epiphany's the best!"
Short Answer Questions
1. Who comes out of Sillington House to greet Mrs. Olinski when she arrives?
2. What does Mrs. Olinski think when she sees the place at the table The Souls have set for her?
3. How does Julian react when the commissioner tells him he can't find a reference for "tip"?
4. What does Mr. Singh do after Mrs. Olinski has entered the dining room?
5. What does Mrs. Olinski say she found at Sillington House?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)