|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mathilde let read all of the information she collected in the mahogany box?
2. What does the sergeant tell the men that they will need to do?
3. What is the last thing Manech remembers?
4. What happened to Desrochelles after he was cared for at the military hospital?
5. How long did Manech receive training before he was sent to the front as a foot soldier?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mathilde was physically disabled. What part did this information play in the novel? Do you think it was important? Why or why not? Do you believe this story would have changed had Mathilde not been in a wheelchair? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
How does the action in the plot ebb and flow? Do you feel this book is well-written? Why or why not? In what way does the author engage the reader? What techniques did you notice in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Evaluate the author's use of flashbacks in the novel. Was this technique well used? Why or why not? Do flashbacks enhance or detract from the story? Why do you feel this way?
This section contains 262 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)