|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Poux hear about Manech's body from another soldier?
2. With what does the story end?
3. What did Poux say that he remembered a man who had lost his mind doing?
4. Why did the enemy start fighting more after the biplane crashed?
5. How do Poux and Mathilde get along?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the action in the plot ebb and flow? Do you feel this book is well-written? Why or why not? In what way does the author engage the reader? What techniques did you notice in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Do you think self-mutilation is a justifiable reason for condemning a prisoner to death? Why or why not? What types of actions are justifiable, in your mind, for condemning someone to death?
Essay Topic 3
Evaluate the author's use of flashbacks in the novel. Was this technique well used? Why or why not? Do flashbacks enhance or detract from the story? Why do you feel this way?
This section contains 283 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)