|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What belief does Captain Favourier have about the men?
2. In what year was this novel made into a French film?
3. Why doesn't Elodie give Mathilde much information?
4. Who promised to protect Manech for as long as he could?
5. Which of the following characters was a private investigator who offered Mathilde his services?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Angel write his letter to and what does he say in the letter?
2. What does Poux tell Mathilde about the five condemned men?
3. What steps does Mathilde do to disprove Pierre-Marie's findings?
4. What did Poux see about Mathilde and what did he recommend?
5. What happened when the doctor was brought to tend to the men's wounds?
6. What does Little Louis tell Mathilde about Eskimo and Veronique?
7. What name had Tina been given and what did she admit to doing?
8. Where was Angel before the war and how did he end up in the war?
9. How did Madam Conte describe Valentina and what insight did she provide about Valentina's childhood?
10. When Esperanza chose his ten men, how long had they been traveling?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do think the relationship between Manech and Mathilde will progress? Do you think they will pick up where they left off? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
How does the author create suspense throughout the novel? Use specific examples from the novel to support your answer. What genre do you believe this novel best fits? What other novels do you believe this novel is similar to?
Essay Topic 3
How does the action in the plot ebb and flow? Do you feel this book is well-written? Why or why not? In what way does the author engage the reader? What techniques did you notice in the book?
This section contains 1,252 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)