|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Biscuit and Eskimo have in common?
2. How bad was the falling out between Gordes and Eskimo according to Boisseau?
3. What did throwing the five men over the trench cause between the two sides?
4. In what year was this novel made into a French film?
5. Why doesn't Elodie give Mathilde much information?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the letter Pire sends to Mathilde later tell her about Manech?
2. Why was Bastoche in the trench and what really happened?
3. What information was Favart able to share with Tina?
4. When Mathilde looks through the package Esperanza has given her what does she see?
5. How does Mathilde figure out the code in Benoit's letter?
6. What happened to make Manech become afraid of everything?
7. What does the first telegram that Mathilde receives from Pire say?
8. What is Esperanza dying from and how does it affect what he tells Mathilde?
9. What confuses the priest about Mathilde's question?
10. When had Esperanza last seen Manech and what does he want?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you think Pire earned the painting? Why or why not? Is a painting enough of a reward for working for someone? Why or why not? Would you complete work for someone for a material object? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
How does the action in the plot ebb and flow? Do you feel this book is well-written? Why or why not? In what way does the author engage the reader? What techniques did you notice in the book?
Essay Topic 3
How do you feel about what Juliette Desrochelles did? Why do you feel that way? What would you have done in her place?
This section contains 1,270 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)