|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Biscuit and Eskimo have in common?
2. What did Elodie reveal about her love of Benjamin in her letter to Mathilde?
3. Why is Mathilde unable to walk?
4. What was Bastoche's job before he joined the army?
5. In what year was this novel made into a French film?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was inside the tin and what information did it provide?
2. Where was Angel before the war and how did he end up in the war?
3. What confuses the priest about Mathilde's question?
4. How does the first meeting between Mathilde and Elodie Gordes go and what does Elodie promise Mathilde?
5. What did Poux see about Mathilde and what did he recommend?
6. Why did one of the dead not have a wounded hand?
7. What was Heidi told about Manech?
8. What does Little Louis tell Mathilde about Eskimo and Veronique?
9. Where does Mathilde spend much of her time and who looks after her?
10. Who does Mathilde employ and for what purpose in November of 1919?
Essay Topic 1
Do you think Tina was justified in killing the officers? Why or why not? Was Tina's punishment justified considering the actions she committed? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Do you think self-mutilation is a justifiable reason for condemning a prisoner to death? Why or why not? What types of actions are justifiable, in your mind, for condemning someone to death?
Essay Topic 3
Evaluate the author's use of flashbacks in the novel. Was this technique well used? Why or why not? Do flashbacks enhance or detract from the story? Why do you feel this way?
This section contains 1,293 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)