|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Little Louis glad to read about in Eskimo's letter?
2. Who wrote the strangest of all of the letters?
3. Which of the following was not one of the items Manech had requested from the cook?
4. What does Mathilde do when she gets home?
5. Where did Esperanza meet Manech?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mathilde believe happened after Gordes had been killed?
2. What did the captain explain would happen to the condemned men?
3. What does the letter Pire sends to Mathilde later tell her about Manech?
4. How does Mathilde figure out the code in Benoit's letter?
5. What does Mathilde's father agree to do for her, Sylvain and Benedicte?
6. What type of man was Six-Soux and what was his job before the war?
7. When had Esperanza last seen Manech and what does he want?
8. What information did Pierre-Marie relate to Mathilde five weeks later?
9. When Esperanza chose his ten men, how long had they been traveling?
10. What did the Newfoundland soldiers do with the dead?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you think Pire earned the painting? Why or why not? Is a painting enough of a reward for working for someone? Why or why not? Would you complete work for someone for a material object? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Do you think Tina was justified in killing the officers? Why or why not? Was Tina's punishment justified considering the actions she committed? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Which of the following characters is a better investigator? Mathilde, Poux, Pire. Why do you feel this way? Which of the three characters listed is the least effective? Why do you think they are ineffective? What could they have done to become more effective?
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)