|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Elodie Gordes hire the private investigator?
2. What does Pierre-Marie believe about Esperanza's story?
3. How did Elodie describe Benjamin's mood when he came home from the war on leave?
4. Who does Angel write his letter to?
5. What is Bastoche's nickname?
Short Essay Questions
1. What request does Benjamin make of Elodie?
2. When Mathilde looks through the package Esperanza has given her what does she see?
3. What was Heidi told about Manech?
4. How do Sylvain and Benedicte feel about Manech and why do they feel this way?
5. Where does Mathilde spend much of her time and who looks after her?
6. What happened when the doctor was brought to tend to the men's wounds?
7. What did Valentina tell Madam Conte about Nino and what did she say about revenge?
8. What information did Poux have about the Eskimo?
9. Who tells Mathilde that Manech has been killed?
10. How does the first meeting between Mathilde and Elodie Gordes go and what does Elodie promise Mathilde?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Thinking about how Mathilde decoded the letter, do you think her strategy was solid? Could there be another strategy? If yes, what would you try? If no, why do you feel that way?
Essay Topic 2
Evaluate the author's use of flashbacks in the novel. Was this technique well used? Why or why not? Do flashbacks enhance or detract from the story? Why do you feel this way?
Essay Topic 3
What kind of friend was Poux to Mathilde? Why do you think this way? Support your answer. Do you think Poux wanted a relationship with Mathilde? Why or why not?
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)