|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What couldn't Esperanza believe the French would do to their own soldiers?
2. What does Pierre-Marie try to convince Mathilde to do?
3. Why did Angel agree to join the army?
4. Which of the following characters did not believe in the war when he was assigned his number?
5. What was Manech's nickname?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information did Pierre-Marie relate to Mathilde five weeks later?
2. What did Corporal Urbain tell Juliette about her son's death?
3. What do the Newfoundland soldiers find between Bingo and the German trench?
4. What does the letter Pire sends to Mathilde later tell her about Manech?
5. What did the captain explain would happen to the condemned men?
6. Who has the strangest letter and what does it talk about?
7. What did Angel and another man agree to after Angel's request to return to jail was denied and what happened?
8. What did Tina learn about the man in the hospital?
9. What does Mathilde's father agree to do for her, Sylvain and Benedicte?
10. Where does Mathilde spend much of her time and who looks after her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the author create suspense throughout the novel? Use specific examples from the novel to support your answer. What genre do you believe this novel best fits? What other novels do you believe this novel is similar to?
Essay Topic 2
What was the main theme for this novel? How did the theme develop throughout the many chapters? Was the theme well-developed? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Do you think Pire earned the painting? Why or why not? Is a painting enough of a reward for working for someone? Why or why not? Would you complete work for someone for a material object? Why or why not?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)