|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Louis Teyssier to Eskimo?
2. What was Pierre-Marie's opinion of the events that Esperanza said happened at the trench Bingo after he completed his research?
3. Where did Leprince suggest Mathilde look for Celestin?
4. Why doesn't Elodie give Mathilde much information?
5. What does Pierre-Marie report happened to the condemned men?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Madam Conte describe Valentina and what insight did she provide about Valentina's childhood?
2. What did Tina learn about the man in the hospital?
3. Who does Mathilde employ and for what purpose in November of 1919?
4. What did Poux remember about Six-Soux?
5. What request does Benjamin make of Elodie?
6. What does Mathilde do after she finds the stamp that shows Queen Victoria's full name on it?
7. What did Poux see about Mathilde and what did he recommend?
8. What suggestion from a fellow soldier did Manech follow after he was unsuccessful by eating the tainted meat?
9. What happened when the doctor was brought to tend to the men's wounds?
10. What did Angel and another man agree to after Angel's request to return to jail was denied and what happened?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was the main theme for this novel? How did the theme develop throughout the many chapters? Was the theme well-developed? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Thinking about how Mathilde decoded the letter, do you think her strategy was solid? Could there be another strategy? If yes, what would you try? If no, why do you feel that way?
Essay Topic 3
Do you think Pire earned the painting? Why or why not? Is a painting enough of a reward for working for someone? Why or why not? Would you complete work for someone for a material object? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,330 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)