Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened when Mathilde sent a letter to the wife of The Man?
2. Why is Mathilde unable to walk?
3. Which of the following characters did not believe in the war when he was assigned his number?
4. Who writes to Mathilde in January of 1920?
5. Why was Valentina upset with her godmother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the captain explain would happen to the condemned men?
2. Why was Bastoche in the trench and what really happened?
3. What does Mathilde's father agree to do for her, Sylvain and Benedicte?
4. Where does Mathilde spend much of her time and who looks after her?
5. What does Little Louis tell Mathilde about Eskimo and Veronique?
6. What did the Corporal who shot Common Law claim really happened?
7. What does Poux tell Mathilde about the five condemned men?
8. How does Mathilde figure out the code in Benoit's letter?
9. What request does Benjamin make of Elodie?
10. How do Sylvain and Benedicte feel about Manech and why do they feel this way?
Thinking about how Mathilde decoded the letter, do you think her strategy was solid? Could there be another strategy? If yes, what would you try? If no, why do you feel that way?
Do you think self-mutilation is a justifiable reason for condemning a prisoner to death? Why or why not? What types of actions are justifiable, in your mind, for condemning someone to death?
Why do you think Layrouye kept the men's pardon a secret? What type of man does this make him? Why do you think this way?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)