|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Elodie feel about Eskimo?
2. What was Manech's nickname?
3. Why did Elodie Gordes hire the private investigator?
4. What does Mathilde do after she reads all of the letters?
5. Which of the following characters was a private investigator who offered Mathilde his services?
Short Essay Questions
1. When did Mariette receive the notice about her husband's death and what did she do as a result of the notice?
2. What information did Poux have about the Eskimo?
3. What did Tina learn about the man in the hospital?
4. When had Esperanza last seen Manech and what does he want?
5. What was Heidi told about Manech?
6. What does the typed list show?
7. What does Mathilde believe happened after Gordes had been killed?
8. What does the first telegram that Mathilde receives from Pire say?
9. What suggestion from a fellow soldier did Manech follow after he was unsuccessful by eating the tainted meat?
10. How does the first meeting between Mathilde and Elodie Gordes go and what does Elodie promise Mathilde?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the action in the plot ebb and flow? Do you feel this book is well-written? Why or why not? In what way does the author engage the reader? What techniques did you notice in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think Layrouye kept the men's pardon a secret? What type of man does this make him? Why do you think this way?
Essay Topic 3
Do you think Mathilde will be able to forgive Juliette? Why or why not? Would you be able to forgive her? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,252 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)