|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pierre-Marie try to convince Mathilde to do?
2. Which of the following was not one of the items Manech had requested from the cook?
3. Why did Angel agree to join the army?
4. What did the woman believe about Veronique?
5. What did throwing the five men over the trench cause between the two sides?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Mathilde spend much of her time and who looks after her?
2. What does Poux tell Mathilde about the five condemned men?
3. What did Angel and another man agree to after Angel's request to return to jail was denied and what happened?
4. What does Mathilde do after she finds the stamp that shows Queen Victoria's full name on it?
5. What name had Tina been given and what did she admit to doing?
6. How do Sylvain and Benedicte feel about Manech and why do they feel this way?
7. When Mathilde looks through the package Esperanza has given her what does she see?
8. What steps does Mathilde do to disprove Pierre-Marie's findings?
9. What type of man was Six-Soux and what was his job before the war?
10. What does the letter Pire sends to Mathilde later tell her about Manech?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the author create suspense throughout the novel? Use specific examples from the novel to support your answer. What genre do you believe this novel best fits? What other novels do you believe this novel is similar to?
Essay Topic 2
Thinking about how Mathilde decoded the letter, do you think her strategy was solid? Could there be another strategy? If yes, what would you try? If no, why do you feel that way?
Essay Topic 3
How do you feel about what Juliette Desrochelles did? Why do you feel that way? What would you have done in her place?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)