|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Elodie give Mathilde much information?
2. What had the captain been before the war?
3. What couldn't Esperanza believe the French would do to their own soldiers?
4. How many men are being led to their deaths at the beginning of this novel?
5. What wish does Captain Favourier speak of in his letter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Tina Kill Lovrouye and the others and how does she feel about her actions?
2. How did Mrs. Desrochelles react when she was told her son was killed in the war?
3. What did Poux remember about Six-Soux?
4. What confuses the priest about Mathilde's question?
5. What information was Favart able to share with Tina?
6. What is Esperanza dying from and how does it affect what he tells Mathilde?
7. How did Veronique feel about the visitor who came asking questions about Eskimo?
8. Why was Bastoche in the trench and what really happened?
9. What does Poux tell Mathilde about the five condemned men?
10. What happens when Manech tells Mathilde that he has to leave soon for war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Thinking about how Mathilde decoded the letter, do you think her strategy was solid? Could there be another strategy? If yes, what would you try? If no, why do you feel that way?
Essay Topic 2
What was the main theme for this novel? How did the theme develop throughout the many chapters? Was the theme well-developed? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
How does the action in the plot ebb and flow? Do you feel this book is well-written? Why or why not? In what way does the author engage the reader? What techniques did you notice in the book?
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)