|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were those that were convicted of self-mutilation but not sentenced to death required to do?
2. What is the young French woman in this novel searching for?
3. Where does Mathilde spend much of her time?
4. Where did Mariette Notre-Dame go when she left for good leaving no forwarding address?
5. How many many men were convicted of self-mutilation according to Pierre-Marie?
Short Essay Questions
1. What suggestion from a fellow soldier did Manech follow after he was unsuccessful by eating the tainted meat?
2. What does Little Louis tell Mathilde about Eskimo and Veronique?
3. What do the Newfoundland soldiers find between Bingo and the German trench?
4. How did Veronique feel about the visitor who came asking questions about Eskimo?
5. What happened when the doctor was brought to tend to the men's wounds?
6. What did Valentina tell Madam Conte about Nino and what did she say about revenge?
7. What does Elodie explain in her letter?
8. What did the captain explain would happen to the condemned men?
9. What did Poux remember about Six-Soux?
10. What did Poux see about Mathilde and what did he recommend?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the action in the plot ebb and flow? Do you feel this book is well-written? Why or why not? In what way does the author engage the reader? What techniques did you notice in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Was the conclusion of the appropriate or inappropriate? Why or why not? If you were the author, how would you have chosen to end this story? Why would you choose this way?
Essay Topic 3
Do you think Tina was justified in killing the officers? Why or why not? Was Tina's punishment justified considering the actions she committed? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,299 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)