|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Bastoche's job before he joined the army?
2. What does Manech wear as he walks with the others?
3. How bad was the falling out between Gordes and Eskimo according to Boisseau?
4. How many men accompanied the condemned men to the trench?
5. Which of the following is one of the things Mathilde was told in the letter she received from Passavant?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mathilde figure out the code in Benoit's letter?
2. What does Mathilde believe happened after Gordes had been killed?
3. What does Mathilde's father agree to do for her, Sylvain and Benedicte?
4. What did Tina learn about the man in the hospital?
5. What suggestion from a fellow soldier did Manech follow after he was unsuccessful by eating the tainted meat?
6. What did the Newfoundland soldiers do with the dead?
7. What type of man was Six-Soux and what was his job before the war?
8. Who has the strangest letter and what does it talk about?
9. What did Corporal Urbain tell Juliette about her son's death?
10. Why did Tina Kill Lovrouye and the others and how does she feel about her actions?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you think Mathilde will be able to forgive Juliette? Why or why not? Would you be able to forgive her? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
How do you feel about the premise of throwing condemned men out into the middle of the battle where they will be killed by enemy fire? Why do you feel this way? What do you think should have happened to the condemned men?
Essay Topic 3
Mathilde was physically disabled. What part did this information play in the novel? Do you think it was important? Why or why not? Do you believe this story would have changed had Mathilde not been in a wheelchair? Why or why not?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)