|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Pierre-Marie investigate Esperanza's story?
2. What does Mathilde do when she gets home?
3. How does Madam Conte say she is related to Valentina?
4. What did Elodie reveal about her love of Benjamin in her letter to Mathilde?
5. Which of the men condemned to death did Esperanza indicate was wearing German boots?
Short Essay Questions
1. What steps does Mathilde do to disprove Pierre-Marie's findings?
2. What information did Pierre-Marie relate to Mathilde five weeks later?
3. When Mathilde looks through the package Esperanza has given her what does she see?
4. What information did Poux have about the Eskimo?
5. When had Esperanza last seen Manech and what does he want?
6. What does Veronique Passavant tell Mathilde about Eskimo?
7. What does the typed list show?
8. What does Mathilde believe happened after Gordes had been killed?
9. What did the Corporal who shot Common Law claim really happened?
10. Where does Mathilde spend much of her time and who looks after her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you think self-mutilation is a justifiable reason for condemning a prisoner to death? Why or why not? What types of actions are justifiable, in your mind, for condemning someone to death?
Essay Topic 2
How do think the relationship between Manech and Mathilde will progress? Do you think they will pick up where they left off? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
How does the action in the plot ebb and flow? Do you feel this book is well-written? Why or why not? In what way does the author engage the reader? What techniques did you notice in the book?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)