|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Esperanza allow the condemned men do as they ate?
2. Why is Mathilde unable to walk?
3. What had the captain been before the war?
4. How long does Pierre-Marie investigate Esperanza's story?
5. Which of the following characters did not believe in the war when he was assigned his number?
Short Essay Questions
1. What suggestion from a fellow soldier did Manech follow after he was unsuccessful by eating the tainted meat?
2. What do the Newfoundland soldiers find between Bingo and the German trench?
3. What steps does Mathilde do to disprove Pierre-Marie's findings?
4. When Esperanza chose his ten men, how long had they been traveling?
5. What did Poux see about Mathilde and what did he recommend?
6. What request does Benjamin make of Elodie?
7. When Mathilde looks through the package Esperanza has given her what does she see?
8. What does Veronique Passavant tell Mathilde about Eskimo?
9. What type of man was Six-Soux and what was his job before the war?
10. When had Esperanza last seen Manech and what does he want?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you think Mathilde will be able to forgive Juliette? Why or why not? Would you be able to forgive her? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Would you have held out hope for as long as Mathilde did? Why or why not? What would you have done differently than Mathilde did? Why would you have chosen to act this way?
Essay Topic 3
What part did the red glove play in the development of the plot of this story? Do you think this was a crucial piece of information? Why or why not? Could the story have been written without the glove? What would have changed?
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)