|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the woman believe about Veronique?
2. Which of the following is one of the things Mathilde was told in the letter she received from Passavant?
3. Why doesn't Elodie give Mathilde much information?
4. What did Elodie reveal about her love of Benjamin in her letter to Mathilde?
5. Where does Mathilde keep her papers where she organizes her thoughts?
Short Essay Questions
1. What confuses the priest about Mathilde's question?
2. What did Poux see about Mathilde and what did he recommend?
3. How did Mrs. Desrochelles react when she was told her son was killed in the war?
4. What did the Newfoundland soldiers do with the dead?
5. What did Angel and another man agree to after Angel's request to return to jail was denied and what happened?
6. What do the Newfoundland soldiers find between Bingo and the German trench?
7. How does Mathilde figure out the code in Benoit's letter?
8. Why was Bastoche in the trench and what really happened?
9. What does Germain try to persuade Mathilde to do and what does he suggest to encourage her further?
10. What does Mathilde's father agree to do for her, Sylvain and Benedicte?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Evaluate the author's use of flashbacks in the novel. Was this technique well used? Why or why not? Do flashbacks enhance or detract from the story? Why do you feel this way?
Essay Topic 2
How does the author create suspense throughout the novel? Use specific examples from the novel to support your answer. What genre do you believe this novel best fits? What other novels do you believe this novel is similar to?
Essay Topic 3
Would you have held out hope for as long as Mathilde did? Why or why not? What would you have done differently than Mathilde did? Why would you have chosen to act this way?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)