Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened when Mathilde sent a letter to the wife of The Man?
2. Why is Mathilde unable to walk?
3. Which of the following characters did not believe in the war when he was assigned his number?
4. Who writes to Mathilde in January of 1920?
5. Why was Valentina upset with her godmother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the captain explain would happen to the condemned men?
2. Why was Bastoche in the trench and what really happened?
3. What does Mathilde's father agree to do for her, Sylvain and Benedicte?
4. Where does Mathilde spend much of her time and who looks after her?
5. What does Little Louis tell Mathilde about Eskimo and Veronique?
6. What did the Corporal who shot Common Law claim really happened?
7. What does Poux tell Mathilde about the five condemned men?
8. How does Mathilde figure out the code in Benoit's letter?
9. What request does Benjamin make of Elodie?
10. How do Sylvain and Benedicte feel about Manech and why do they feel this way?
Essay Topic 1
Which of the following characters is a better investigator? Mathilde, Poux, Pire. Why do you feel this way? Which of the three characters listed is the least effective? Why do you think they are ineffective? What could they have done to become more effective?
Essay Topic 2
Would you have held out hope for as long as Mathilde did? Why or why not? What would you have done differently than Mathilde did? Why would you have chosen to act this way?
Essay Topic 3
What was the main theme for this novel? How did the theme develop throughout the many chapters? Was the theme well-developed? Why or why not?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)