|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mathilde do after she reads all of the letters?
2. What did the captain wish Esperanza had done with the condemned men?
3. What is Daniel Esperanza dying from?
4. Why did Cornflower try to eat tainted meat?
5. What was Bastoche's job before he joined the army?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the letter Pire sends to Mathilde later tell her about Manech?
2. What does Germain try to persuade Mathilde to do and what does he suggest to encourage her further?
3. What did the captain explain would happen to the condemned men?
4. Who tells Mathilde that Manech has been killed?
5. What confuses the priest about Mathilde's question?
6. What does the first telegram that Mathilde receives from Pire say?
7. What was inside the tin and what information did it provide?
8. What did the Corporal who shot Common Law claim really happened?
9. How did Veronique feel about the visitor who came asking questions about Eskimo?
10. When had Esperanza last seen Manech and what does he want?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you think self-mutilation is a justifiable reason for condemning a prisoner to death? Why or why not? What types of actions are justifiable, in your mind, for condemning someone to death?
Essay Topic 2
Do you think Tina was justified in killing the officers? Why or why not? Was Tina's punishment justified considering the actions she committed? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What part did the red glove play in the development of the plot of this story? Do you think this was a crucial piece of information? Why or why not? Could the story have been written without the glove? What would have changed?
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)