Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened when Mathilde sent a letter to the wife of The Man?
2. Why is Mathilde unable to walk?
3. Which of the following characters did not believe in the war when he was assigned his number?
4. Who writes to Mathilde in January of 1920?
5. Why was Valentina upset with her godmother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the captain explain would happen to the condemned men?
2. Why was Bastoche in the trench and what really happened?
3. What does Mathilde's father agree to do for her, Sylvain and Benedicte?
4. Where does Mathilde spend much of her time and who looks after her?
5. What does Little Louis tell Mathilde about Eskimo and Veronique?
6. What did the Corporal who shot Common Law claim really happened?
7. What does Poux tell Mathilde about the five condemned men?
8. How does Mathilde figure out the code in Benoit's letter?
9. What request does Benjamin make of Elodie?
10. How do Sylvain and Benedicte feel about Manech and why do they feel this way?
Essay Topic 1
How does the author create suspense throughout the novel? Use specific examples from the novel to support your answer. What genre do you believe this novel best fits? What other novels do you believe this novel is similar to?
Essay Topic 2
How do you feel about what Juliette Desrochelles did? Why do you feel that way? What would you have done in her place?
Essay Topic 3
How do you feel about the premise of throwing condemned men out into the middle of the battle where they will be killed by enemy fire? Why do you feel this way? What do you think should have happened to the condemned men?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)