Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened when Mathilde sent a letter to the wife of The Man?
2. Why is Mathilde unable to walk?
3. Which of the following characters did not believe in the war when he was assigned his number?
4. Who writes to Mathilde in January of 1920?
5. Why was Valentina upset with her godmother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the captain explain would happen to the condemned men?
2. Why was Bastoche in the trench and what really happened?
3. What does Mathilde's father agree to do for her, Sylvain and Benedicte?
4. Where does Mathilde spend much of her time and who looks after her?
5. What does Little Louis tell Mathilde about Eskimo and Veronique?
6. What did the Corporal who shot Common Law claim really happened?
7. What does Poux tell Mathilde about the five condemned men?
8. How does Mathilde figure out the code in Benoit's letter?
9. What request does Benjamin make of Elodie?
10. How do Sylvain and Benedicte feel about Manech and why do they feel this way?
Essay Topic 1
Do you think Tina was justified in killing the officers? Why or why not? Was Tina's punishment justified considering the actions she committed? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Would you have held out hope for as long as Mathilde did? Why or why not? What would you have done differently than Mathilde did? Why would you have chosen to act this way?
Essay Topic 3
Was the conclusion of the appropriate or inappropriate? Why or why not? If you were the author, how would you have chosen to end this story? Why would you choose this way?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)