|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Benjamin and Elodie meet?
2. What was Manech's nickname?
3. Which of the following characters is probably thinking about his fiance as he is walking with the others?
4. What did Biscuit and Eskimo have in common?
5. Who does Mathilde think was the woman who visited the Eskimo's lover?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information did Leprince share about Poux?
2. What do the Newfoundland soldiers find between Bingo and the German trench?
3. What changed in regards to Tina and Nino's life that made it a no longer good life?
4. What steps does Mathilde do to disprove Pierre-Marie's findings?
5. What does Mathilde's father agree to do for her, Sylvain and Benedicte?
6. When had Esperanza last seen Manech and what does he want?
7. What does the first telegram that Mathilde receives from Pire say?
8. What was inside the tin and what information did it provide?
9. What does Veronique Passavant tell Mathilde about Eskimo?
10. What does Germain try to persuade Mathilde to do and what does he suggest to encourage her further?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you think Benoit did the right thing by trading identities? Why or why not? Would you have done the same thing? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Was the conclusion of the appropriate or inappropriate? Why or why not? If you were the author, how would you have chosen to end this story? Why would you choose this way?
Essay Topic 3
Evaluate the author's use of flashbacks in the novel. Was this technique well used? Why or why not? Do flashbacks enhance or detract from the story? Why do you feel this way?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)