|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Six-Soux send his letter to?
2. Which of the following characters is probably thinking about his fiance as he is walking with the others?
3. What does Elodie Gordes need the pension for?
4. Why doesn't Elodie give Mathilde much information?
5. What month is it as this chapter opens?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Mathilde spend much of her time and who looks after her?
2. What does Poux tell Mathilde about the five condemned men?
3. What does Mathilde do after she finds the stamp that shows Queen Victoria's full name on it?
4. Why did one of the dead not have a wounded hand?
5. What does Veronique Passavant tell Mathilde about Eskimo?
6. When did Mariette receive the notice about her husband's death and what did she do as a result of the notice?
7. How did Madam Conte describe Valentina and what insight did she provide about Valentina's childhood?
8. What did the Newfoundland soldiers do with the dead?
9. What did the enemy do to the soldiers who were killed?
10. Where was Angel before the war and how did he end up in the war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you think Benoit did the right thing by trading identities? Why or why not? Would you have done the same thing? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Evaluate the author's use of flashbacks in the novel. Was this technique well used? Why or why not? Do flashbacks enhance or detract from the story? Why do you feel this way?
Essay Topic 3
How do you feel about what Juliette Desrochelles did? Why do you feel that way? What would you have done in her place?
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)