|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not one of the things Esperanza gives to Mathilde as she leaves?
2. What did the enemy side throw out over no-man's-land?
3. What did Little Louis learn about Biscuit?
4. Why did Angel agree to join the army?
5. What decision does Therese make that she believes Six-Soux would approve of?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Mathilde looks through the package Esperanza has given her what does she see?
2. What suggestion from a fellow soldier did Manech follow after he was unsuccessful by eating the tainted meat?
3. What was Heidi told about Manech?
4. Where was Angel before the war and how did he end up in the war?
5. Where does Mathilde spend much of her time and who looks after her?
6. What did Angel and another man agree to after Angel's request to return to jail was denied and what happened?
7. What information did Leprince share about Poux?
8. When had Esperanza last seen Manech and what does he want?
9. What does Elodie explain in her letter?
10. What was Six-Soux's goal and what decision did he make as a result of not achieving his goal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the action in the plot ebb and flow? Do you feel this book is well-written? Why or why not? In what way does the author engage the reader? What techniques did you notice in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Which of the following characters is a better investigator? Mathilde, Poux, Pire. Why do you feel this way? Which of the three characters listed is the least effective? Why do you think they are ineffective? What could they have done to become more effective?
Essay Topic 3
How do you feel about what Juliette Desrochelles did? Why do you feel that way? What would you have done in her place?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)