Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened when Mathilde sent a letter to the wife of The Man?
2. Why is Mathilde unable to walk?
3. Which of the following characters did not believe in the war when he was assigned his number?
4. Who writes to Mathilde in January of 1920?
5. Why was Valentina upset with her godmother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the captain explain would happen to the condemned men?
2. Why was Bastoche in the trench and what really happened?
3. What does Mathilde's father agree to do for her, Sylvain and Benedicte?
4. Where does Mathilde spend much of her time and who looks after her?
5. What does Little Louis tell Mathilde about Eskimo and Veronique?
6. What did the Corporal who shot Common Law claim really happened?
7. What does Poux tell Mathilde about the five condemned men?
8. How does Mathilde figure out the code in Benoit's letter?
9. What request does Benjamin make of Elodie?
10. How do Sylvain and Benedicte feel about Manech and why do they feel this way?
Essay Topic 1
Thinking about how Mathilde decoded the letter, do you think her strategy was solid? Could there be another strategy? If yes, what would you try? If no, why do you feel that way?
Essay Topic 2
Mathilde was physically disabled. What part did this information play in the novel? Do you think it was important? Why or why not? Do you believe this story would have changed had Mathilde not been in a wheelchair? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What kind of friend was Poux to Mathilde? Why do you think this way? Support your answer. Do you think Poux wanted a relationship with Mathilde? Why or why not?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)