|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the enemy side throw out over no-man's-land?
2. How long does Pierre-Marie investigate Esperanza's story?
3. What were those that were convicted of self-mutilation but not sentenced to death required to do?
4. Why wouldn't Manech's captain let him go home?
5. How old is Mathilde at this point in the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information did Pierre-Marie relate to Mathilde five weeks later?
2. When Esperanza chose his ten men, how long had they been traveling?
3. Why did Tina Kill Lovrouye and the others and how does she feel about her actions?
4. What type of man was Six-Soux and what was his job before the war?
5. What does Mathilde's father agree to do for her, Sylvain and Benedicte?
6. What steps does Mathilde do to disprove Pierre-Marie's findings?
7. What does Mathilde do after she finds the stamp that shows Queen Victoria's full name on it?
8. Why was Bastoche in the trench and what really happened?
9. Who does Angel write his letter to and what does he say in the letter?
10. What did Valentina tell Madam Conte about Nino and what did she say about revenge?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do you feel about the premise of throwing condemned men out into the middle of the battle where they will be killed by enemy fire? Why do you feel this way? What do you think should have happened to the condemned men?
Essay Topic 2
How do you feel about what Juliette Desrochelles did? Why do you feel that way? What would you have done in her place?
Essay Topic 3
Do you think self-mutilation is a justifiable reason for condemning a prisoner to death? Why or why not? What types of actions are justifiable, in your mind, for condemning someone to death?
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)