|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the smile make the other men uncomfortable?
2. How did Elodie feel about Eskimo?
3. Which of the following characters did not believe in the war when he was assigned his number?
4. What did Biscuit and Eskimo have in common?
5. How many men accompanied the condemned men to the trench?
Short Essay Questions
1. What steps does Mathilde do to disprove Pierre-Marie's findings?
2. When did Mariette receive the notice about her husband's death and what did she do as a result of the notice?
3. When Esperanza chose his ten men, how long had they been traveling?
4. What confuses the priest about Mathilde's question?
5. How did Mrs. Desrochelles react when she was told her son was killed in the war?
6. What do the Newfoundland soldiers find between Bingo and the German trench?
7. What did Gerstacker learn as he was led across no-man's-land?
8. How did Madam Conte describe Valentina and what insight did she provide about Valentina's childhood?
9. How did Veronique feel about the visitor who came asking questions about Eskimo?
10. What was Six-Soux's goal and what decision did he make as a result of not achieving his goal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Was the conclusion of the appropriate or inappropriate? Why or why not? If you were the author, how would you have chosen to end this story? Why would you choose this way?
Essay Topic 2
Do you think Pire earned the painting? Why or why not? Is a painting enough of a reward for working for someone? Why or why not? Would you complete work for someone for a material object? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Do you think Tina was justified in killing the officers? Why or why not? Was Tina's punishment justified considering the actions she committed? Why or why not?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)