|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the men condemned to death did Esperanza indicate was wearing German boots?
(a) The man.
(d) Common Law.
2. Why was Valentina upset with her godmother?
(a) For Talking about Nino with a stranger.
(b) For not allowing her to live with her.
(c) For corresponding with Mathilde.
(d) For not calling her sooner.
3. Why does the smile make the other men uncomfortable?
(a) Because they know he is being led to his death.
(b) Because it does not reach his eyes.
(c) Because it has an eerie look to it.
(d) Because even as he yells, he smiles.
4. Where did Mariette Notre-Dame go when she left for good leaving no forwarding address?
(a) Train station.
(d) A taxi out of the country.
5. Which man readily admitted to Esperanza that he had committed self-mutilation?
(d) Common Law.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Angel agree to join the army?
2. What was Manech's nickname?
3. Where does Mathilde spend much of her time?
4. Which character was an orphan and married an orphan?
5. From what country is the author of this novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the Corporal who shot Common Law claim really happened?
2. Why was Bastoche in the trench and what really happened?
3. What did the Newfoundland soldiers do with the dead?
4. What happens when Manech tells Mathilde that he has to leave soon for war?
5. When did Mariette receive the notice about her husband's death and what did she do as a result of the notice?
6. What did Gerstacker learn as he was led across no-man's-land?
7. What was Six-Soux's goal and what decision did he make as a result of not achieving his goal?
8. Who tells Mathilde that Manech has been killed?
9. What was inside the tin and what information did it provide?
10. What did Poux see about Mathilde and what did he recommend?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)