|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What information did Urbain Chardolot share with Mathilde?
(a) That her son told her that she had seen all five of them dead in the snow.
(b) That she is aware that Celestin is alive.
(c) That she has seen Manech with her own eyes.
(d) That she has done some work for Gordes's wife.
2. What is Bastoche's nickname?
(c) Common Law.
3. What year is it when Mathilde receives the letter from the dying man?
4. Why did Esperanza write Manech's letter?
(a) He was illiterate and unable to write.
(b) He was injured in the hand he wrote with.
(c) He refused to write one himself.
(d) He was in too much of a transe-like state to write.
5. What season is it as this novel opens?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mathilde think was the woman who visited the Eskimo's lover?
2. What did throwing the five men over the trench cause between the two sides?
3. What did Little Louis believe the fight between Eskimo and Vera was about?
4. Which of the following was not one of the items Manech had requested from the cook?
5. Where did Mariette Notre-Dame go when she left for good leaving no forwarding address?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mathilde do after she finds the stamp that shows Queen Victoria's full name on it?
2. What does the first telegram that Mathilde receives from Pire say?
3. What does Veronique Passavant tell Mathilde about Eskimo?
4. How did Madam Conte describe Valentina and what insight did she provide about Valentina's childhood?
5. What suggestion from a fellow soldier did Manech follow after he was unsuccessful by eating the tainted meat?
6. What steps does Mathilde do to disprove Pierre-Marie's findings?
7. When Esperanza chose his ten men, how long had they been traveling?
8. What did the enemy do to the soldiers who were killed?
9. What does the letter Pire sends to Mathilde later tell her about Manech?
10. What information did Pierre-Marie relate to Mathilde five weeks later?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)