|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What couldn't Esperanza believe the French would do to their own soldiers?
(a) Refuse to follow direct orders.
(b) Throw them over the top of a trench to be killed.
(c) Order them to kill their commrades.
(d) Allow them to be killed by firing squad.
2. Which character was an orphan and married an orphan?
(c) Common Law.
3. Which of the men condemned to death did Esperanza indicate was wearing German boots?
(b) The man.
(d) Common Law.
4. What had the captain been before the war?
(a) Prison guard.
(d) History teacher.
5. How many many men were convicted of self-mutilation according to Pierre-Marie?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Sylvain go to visit?
2. How long does Pierre-Marie investigate Esperanza's story?
3. How old is Mathilde at this point in the novel?
4. What did the captain wish Esperanza had done with the condemned men?
5. Who does Six-Soux send his letter to?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the first meeting between Mathilde and Elodie Gordes go and what does Elodie promise Mathilde?
2. Who does Angel write his letter to and what does he say in the letter?
3. What does the first telegram that Mathilde receives from Pire say?
4. What did Poux see about Mathilde and what did he recommend?
5. What steps does Mathilde do to disprove Pierre-Marie's findings?
6. What did Valentina tell Madam Conte about Nino and what did she say about revenge?
7. How does Mathilde figure out the code in Benoit's letter?
8. How did Mrs. Desrochelles react when she was told her son was killed in the war?
9. What does Veronique Passavant tell Mathilde about Eskimo?
10. What did the captain explain would happen to the condemned men?
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)