|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened when Mathilde sent a letter to the wife of The Man?
(a) It was returned saying she did not want to contact Mathilde.
(b) It was returned saying she was not at that address.
(c) It was never answered or responded to.
(d) It was forwarded to Paris.
2. Why did Mr. Leprince write to Mathilde?
(a) He was responding to her newspaper ad.
(b) He wanted to talk to her about Esperanza.
(c) He knew where Manech was hiding.
(d) He was Manech's commanding officer.
3. What did Esperanza allow the condemned men do as they ate?
(a) Escape from the trench and other soldiers.
(b) Write a final letter to whomever they wished.
(c) Use the telephone to call whomever they wished.
(d) Write out their last will and testimate.
4. What decision does Therese make that she believes Six-Soux would approve of?
(a) The decision to send her daughters away.
(b) The decision to marry.
(c) The decision to keep the money.
(d) The decision to leave.
5. What wish does Captain Favourier speak of in his letter?
(a) The wish that he will be forgiven for what he did.
(b) The wish Esperanza forget everything that was done.
(c) The wish that he had ignored orders.
(d) The wish to get orders to collect the men.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Pierre-Marie investigate Esperanza's story?
2. Why did Elodie Gordes hire the private investigator?
3. How does Mathilde gain information about Mariette's whereabouts?
4. What season is it as this novel opens?
5. Why was Valentina upset with her godmother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Gerstacker learn as he was led across no-man's-land?
2. How did Mrs. Desrochelles react when she was told her son was killed in the war?
3. What does the typed list show?
4. Why did Tina Kill Lovrouye and the others and how does she feel about her actions?
5. What does Little Louis tell Mathilde about Eskimo and Veronique?
6. Who tells Mathilde that Manech has been killed?
7. When had Esperanza last seen Manech and what does he want?
8. What suggestion from a fellow soldier did Manech follow after he was unsuccessful by eating the tainted meat?
9. Who has the strangest letter and what does it talk about?
10. What information did Poux have about the Eskimo?
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)