|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Bastoche's job before he joined the army?
(c) Labor organizer.
2. Where did Esperanza meet Manech?
(a) He was assigned to lead the condemned to a trench.
(b) He was the man who condemned him to death.
(c) He was part of the group that was condemned to death.
(d) He served with him when he shot himself.
3. Where does Mathilde spend much of her time?
(a) In England, in the hospital.
(b) In Paris.
(c) Walking through the trenches.
(d) Her family's vacation home.
4. What month is it as this chapter opens?
5. Why was Benjamin angry with Eskimo when Eskimo returned to war?
(a) He heard that Eskimo had sex with Elodie more than once.
(b) He found out that Eskimo had hurt Elodie.
(c) He was angry because Eskimo did not make Elodie pregnant.
(d) He wasn't prepared to handle what he had proposed.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Mathilde at this point in the novel?
2. How did Elodie feel about Benjamin's idea that she have an affair with Eskimo?
3. What did the captain wish Esperanza had done with the condemned men?
4. Why was Valentina upset with her godmother?
5. What is the young French woman in this novel searching for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Valentina tell Madam Conte about Nino and what did she say about revenge?
2. What was inside the tin and what information did it provide?
3. What steps does Mathilde do to disprove Pierre-Marie's findings?
4. What request does Benjamin make of Elodie?
5. Where was Angel before the war and how did he end up in the war?
6. What did Poux remember about Six-Soux?
7. What information did Pierre-Marie relate to Mathilde five weeks later?
8. What does Poux tell Mathilde about the five condemned men?
9. What did Tina learn about the man in the hospital?
10. What does Germain try to persuade Mathilde to do and what does he suggest to encourage her further?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)