|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What wish does Captain Favourier speak of in his letter?
(a) The wish Esperanza forget everything that was done.
(b) The wish that he will be forgiven for what he did.
(c) The wish to get orders to collect the men.
(d) The wish that he had ignored orders.
2. How many many men were convicted of self-mutilation according to Pierre-Marie?
3. Why does the smile make the other men uncomfortable?
(a) Because even as he yells, he smiles.
(b) Because it does not reach his eyes.
(c) Because they know he is being led to his death.
(d) Because it has an eerie look to it.
4. When was this novel written?
(a) During and after WWI.
(b) During WWII.
(c) Before WWI.
(d) During and after WWII.
5. How bad was the falling out between Gordes and Eskimo according to Boisseau?
(a) So bad that they refused to talk to each other.
(b) So bad that they tried to kill each other.
(c) So bad that he requested a transfer so he wasn't fighting with Eskimo.
(d) So bad that they cursed and shot at each other frequently.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year was this novel made into a French film?
2. What did Little Louis believe the fight between Eskimo and Vera was about?
3. What did the captain wish Esperanza had done with the condemned men?
4. What did throwing the five men over the trench cause between the two sides?
5. What did Biscuit and Eskimo have in common?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Sylvain and Benedicte feel about Manech and why do they feel this way?
2. Where does Mathilde spend much of her time and who looks after her?
3. What did Gerstacker learn as he was led across no-man's-land?
4. What is Esperanza dying from and how does it affect what he tells Mathilde?
5. What does Poux tell Mathilde about the five condemned men?
6. What happened when the doctor was brought to tend to the men's wounds?
7. What did the enemy do to the soldiers who were killed?
8. How did Veronique feel about the visitor who came asking questions about Eskimo?
9. What does Germain try to persuade Mathilde to do and what does he suggest to encourage her further?
10. Where was Angel before the war and how did he end up in the war?
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)