|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Poux hear about Manech's body from another soldier?
(a) It was never found.
(b) It was riddled with enemy bullets.
(c) It had a self-inflicted gun shot wound.
(d) It was found shot through the back.
2. What was the name of the code that Mathilde thinks Benoit's letter is written in?
3. How does Poux arrive to see Mathilde?
(b) On his motorcycle.
(c) In a taxi.
(d) On horseback.
4. Whose identification did the man with no injury to his hand wear?
(c) The Man.
5. What could be said to be the theme for the remainder of the year for Mathilde?
(c) New information.
6. With what does the story end?
(a) Mathilde's marriage to Manech.
(b) Manech's memory returning.
(c) The final events of the night of Bingo.
(d) A diary entry by Mathilde.
7. What did Nino's code tell Tina?
(a) What steps she needed to take.
(b) Where he was and that he was in trouble.
(c) What he was doing.
(d) How he escaped.
8. What does Manech offer to teach Mathilde to do?
9. What did Benoit wake up to?
(a) A German soldier stealing his boots.
(b) Hearing a plane overhead that was firing at the cellar he was hiding inside.
(c) Rats biting his toes.
(d) Hearing people calling his name and those of the other condemned men.
10. Where did the Newfoundland soldiers find the bodies of the men?
(a) Huddled in a basement near Bingo.
(b) Within the Bingo trench.
(c) Inside of the German trench.
(d) Between Bingo and the German trench.
11. Why didn't Poux see Manech die?
(a) He didn't know which one was Manech.
(b) He couldn't look at such devastation.
(c) He couldn't see outside of the trench.
(d) He was often fetching things for other soldiers.
12. How old was Mathilde when she first met Manech?
13. What information did Tina share about Layrouye?
(a) It was his idea to throw them over the trench.
(b) He sentenced them to death.
(c) He lied about the men's pardon.
(d) He was the one who had killed the men.
14. How was Tina killed?
15. What is Poux's nickname?
(a) The nightmare.
(b) The army one.
(c) Terror of the army.
(d) The man.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the last thing Manech remembers?
2. Why does the sergeant think things were taken from the bodies?
3. Where does Mathilde believe Mariette went to meet Benoit?
4. What does the sergeant tell the men that they will need to do?
5. When did Gunther Weiss die?
This section contains 513 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)