|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Poux witness Common Law do once he left the trench?
(a) Run toward the enemy saying he surrendered.
(b) Hide behind a wall and pray to God.
(c) Dive back into the trench and beg for mercy.
(d) Tell the enemy he would sell them secrets.
2. How many soldiers are found without an injured hand?
3. What did Nino's code tell Tina?
(a) Where he was and that he was in trouble.
(b) What steps she needed to take.
(c) What he was doing.
(d) How he escaped.
4. Who contacted Pierre-Marie?
(a) The executioner.
(c) Tina's lawyer.
(d) Tins'a mother.
5. When did Gunther Weiss die?
(a) The second day of fighting following the day the men were thrown over the trench.
(b) The fourth day of fighting following the day the men were thrown over the trench.
(c) The third day of fighting following the day the men were thrown over the trench.
(d) The first day of fighting following the day the men were thrown over the trench.
6. Who does Mathilde get a telegram from?
7. At what time of day did the Newfoundland soldiers arrive at Bingo?
(a) 10:00 am.
(b) 8:00 am.
(c) 4:00 pm.
(d) 1:00 pm.
8. How does Mathilde respond when Manech offers to be her friend?
(a) She declines rudely.
(b) She tells him she's not allowed to talk to boys.
(c) She turns away from him.
(d) She asks him why he wants to be her friend.
9. Where does Celestin agree to take Mathilde?
(b) To see his commanding officer.
(c) Manech's grave.
10. Which of the following is not true about Nino according to Tina?
(a) He was sentenced to prison.
(b) He was a medical orderly.
(c) He wrote his letter in the form of a code.
(d) He was one of only two people who truly cared for Tina.
11. What does Manech offer to teach Mathilde to do?
12. What was the name of the code that Mathilde thinks Benoit's letter is written in?
13. What information did Tina share about Layrouye?
(a) He was the one who had killed the men.
(b) He sentenced them to death.
(c) It was his idea to throw them over the trench.
(d) He lied about the men's pardon.
14. What could be said to be the theme for the remainder of the year for Mathilde?
(b) New information.
15. How long did it take Mathilde to uncover the truth?
(a) 7 years.
(b) 2 years.
(c) 5 years.
(d) 10 years.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what does the story end?
2. How does Sylvain know to look in the newspaper for information?
3. How was Tina killed?
4. How does Poux arrive to see Mathilde?
5. Why did Eskimo and Manech go off in another direction from Benoit?
This section contains 503 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)