|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who called Sylvain?
2. How many soldiers are found without an injured hand?
3. When did Gunther Weiss die?
(a) The fourth day of fighting following the day the men were thrown over the trench.
(b) The second day of fighting following the day the men were thrown over the trench.
(c) The third day of fighting following the day the men were thrown over the trench.
(d) The first day of fighting following the day the men were thrown over the trench.
4. Why did Benoit consider harming Mathilde?
(a) He thought she was working with his enemies.
(b) He thought she had killed his wife.
(c) He thought she might endanger his freedom.
(d) He thought she was going to harm him.
5. Who does Mathilde let read all of the information she collected in the mahogany box?
(a) Her father.
6. With what does the story end?
(a) Mathilde's marriage to Manech.
(b) A diary entry by Mathilde.
(c) The final events of the night of Bingo.
(d) Manech's memory returning.
7. Why does Poux believe That Man died first?
(a) He saw him riddled with bullets and fall back into the trench covered in blood.
(b) He saw him being shot 15 times and falling into the snow.
(c) He saw him dive back into the trench and be thrown back up into the air.
(d) He saw him crawl behind a pile of bricks as the enemy machine gun made 15 passes.
8. How old was Mathilde when she first met Manech?
9. What does Pier ask Mathilde to do in regards to Juliette?
(a) Meet with her to see her point of view.
(b) Forgive her actions.
(c) Report her to the police.
(d) To let her continue to raise Manech.
10. What detail did the woman who explained about the five men not mention that gave Mathilde hope that Manech was still alive?
(a) No one that looked like Manech.
(b) Lack of a red glove.
(c) That the five men were all blood.
(d) That they did not have bandaged hands.
11. What is Poux's nickname?
(a) Terror of the army.
(b) The nightmare.
(c) The army one.
(d) The man.
12. Where did the medical orderly tell Tina he saw one of the condemned men alive?
13. Who does Tina think traded the German boots with Eskimo?
14. How was Tina killed?
15. Why did Eskimo and Manech go off in another direction from Benoit?
(a) To find a deeper hole.
(b) To each scout out the best location.
(c) Because they didn't get along.
(d) So they wouldn't be found together.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Poux hear about Manech's body from another soldier?
2. How does Sylvain know to look in the newspaper for information?
3. Who does Mathilde get a telegram from?
4. How long did Poux stay with Mathilde at her villa?
5. How long after their engagement does Manech leave for the war?
This section contains 527 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)