|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Nino's code tell Tina?
(a) What steps she needed to take.
(b) What he was doing.
(c) Where he was and that he was in trouble.
(d) How he escaped.
2. Why did the enemy start fighting more after the biplane crashed?
(a) The men in Bingo fired more ammunition.
(b) Retaliation for crashing the plane.
(c) Everyone was devasted that Eskimo would do what he did.
(d) The enemy thought the condemed were armed.
3. Why did Tina agree to be a prostitute?
(a) Nino like the idea.
(b) It was the only work she could do.
(c) It was an exciting profession.
(d) They needed the money.
4. Where did the Newfoundland soldiers find the bodies of the men?
(a) Within the Bingo trench.
(b) Inside of the German trench.
(c) Between Bingo and the German trench.
(d) Huddled in a basement near Bingo.
5. What does Pire think happened to Valentina?
(a) She has grown cruel.
(b) She has died.
(c) She is purposely hiding from him.
(d) She has left the country.
6. Who told Heidi about how the five men had died?
(a) Her lover's commanding officer.
(b) Her father's commanding officer.
(c) Her brother's commanding officer.
(d) Her husband's commanding officer.
7. Why does Mathilde head to Somme?
(a) To talk with the private investigator.
(b) To try and find a clue as to where Manech is living.
(c) To meet with Tina.
(d) To see where Manech is buried.
8. Who does Mathilde let read all of the information she collected in the mahogany box?
(b) Her father.
9. At what time of day did the Newfoundland soldiers arrive at Bingo?
(a) 8:00 am.
(b) 10:00 am.
(c) 1:00 pm.
(d) 4:00 pm.
10. How does Sylvain know to look in the newspaper for information?
(a) He receives a call.
(b) He heard the commotion behind him.
(c) He was looking at the paper anyway.
(d) He received a letter.
11. What did the Eskimo do in regards to the biplane?
(a) Fired a machine gun at it.
(b) Pointed at it and laughed.
(c) Threw a grenade at it.
(d) Threw a flare at it, setting it on fire.
12. Why does Pierre-Marie contact Mathilde?
(a) He was telling her information about her father.
(b) He wanted her to know what happened to Tina.
(c) He wanted her to know that Tina wrote a letter to Mathilde.
(d) He was telling her to come home immediately.
13. What happened to Desrochelles after he was cared for at the military hospital?
(a) He moved in with Tina.
(b) He went home with his widowed mother.
(c) He went to live with his lover.
(d) He died in the hospital.
14. What information did Tina share about Layrouye?
(a) It was his idea to throw them over the trench.
(b) He sentenced them to death.
(c) He was the one who had killed the men.
(d) He lied about the men's pardon.
15. What did Poux witness Common Law do once he left the trench?
(a) Tell the enemy he would sell them secrets.
(b) Run toward the enemy saying he surrendered.
(c) Dive back into the trench and beg for mercy.
(d) Hide behind a wall and pray to God.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Pire tell Mathilde to stop searching for Tina?
2. Why does Poux believe That Man died first?
3. With what does the story end?
4. What does the sergeant tell the men that they will need to do?
5. Whose idea was it for Tina to become a prostitute?
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)