|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following literary terms best describes how this novel ends?
2. What could be said to be the theme for the remainder of the year for Mathilde?
(b) New information.
3. What detail did the woman who explained about the five men not mention that gave Mathilde hope that Manech was still alive?
(a) That the five men were all blood.
(b) Lack of a red glove.
(c) That they did not have bandaged hands.
(d) No one that looked like Manech.
4. Who contacted Pierre-Marie?
(b) Tina's lawyer.
(c) Tins'a mother.
(d) The executioner.
5. Who does Mathilde get a telegram from?
6. What does Mathilde ask of her father that he agrees to?
(a) To let her move near Milly-La-Forte.
(b) To help her gain a new identity.
(c) To try and save Manech.
(d) To press charges against Julliette.
7. On what day of the week did they arrive?
8. What is the last thing Manech remembers?
(a) Leaving to go to the war.
(b) Living with his mother.
(c) Being tossed over the top of the trench.
(d) Waking up in the hospital.
9. Where does Mathilde believe Mariette went to meet Benoit?
(d) Gare de l'Est.
10. Who told Heidi about how the five men had died?
(a) Her husband's commanding officer.
(b) Her father's commanding officer.
(c) Her lover's commanding officer.
(d) Her brother's commanding officer.
11. What does Pier ask Mathilde to do in regards to Juliette?
(a) Forgive her actions.
(b) Meet with her to see her point of view.
(c) Report her to the police.
(d) To let her continue to raise Manech.
12. What does Mathilde do when she sees Manech for the first time?
(a) Runs to him.
(c) Begs him to remember.
(d) Calls out his name.
13. Who does Mathilde let read all of the information she collected in the mahogany box?
(c) Her father.
14. How does Mathilde respond when Manech offers to be her friend?
(a) She tells him she's not allowed to talk to boys.
(b) She declines rudely.
(c) She asks him why he wants to be her friend.
(d) She turns away from him.
15. What was the name of the code that Mathilde thinks Benoit's letter is written in?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Poux witness Common Law do once he left the trench?
2. How much older than Manech was Jean Desrochelles?
3. What does Pire think happened to Valentina?
4. What does Manech offer to teach Mathilde to do?
5. How many soldiers are found without an injured hand?
This section contains 463 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)