|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Poux arrive to see Mathilde?
(a) On horseback.
(c) On his motorcycle.
(d) In a taxi.
2. Where did the medical orderly tell Tina he saw one of the condemned men alive?
3. How was Tina killed?
4. Why did Eskimo and Manech go off in another direction from Benoit?
(a) Because they didn't get along.
(b) So they wouldn't be found together.
(c) To find a deeper hole.
(d) To each scout out the best location.
5. What information did Tina share about Layrouye?
(a) He was the one who had killed the men.
(b) He sentenced them to death.
(c) It was his idea to throw them over the trench.
(d) He lied about the men's pardon.
6. What does Mathilde do when she sees Manech for the first time?
(b) Begs him to remember.
(c) Calls out his name.
(d) Runs to him.
7. How does Mathilde respond when Manech offers to be her friend?
(a) She asks him why he wants to be her friend.
(b) She tells him she's not allowed to talk to boys.
(c) She turns away from him.
(d) She declines rudely.
8. Why does Pire tell Mathilde to stop searching for Tina?
(a) For her own safety.
(b) To let the dead rest in peace.
(c) To save herself some money.
(d) For her own sanity.
9. Who was Heinz Gerstacker?
(a) A German man who sold his boots.
(b) A German soldier who witnessed Manech's death.
(c) A German man who killed Manech.
(d) A German soldier who was taken prisoner.
10. How much older than Manech was Jean Desrochelles?
(a) 1 year.
(b) 2 years.
(c) 5 years.
(d) 3 years.
11. Who does Mathilde get a telegram from?
12. How many Newfoundland soldiers arrived at Bingo?
13. How many soldiers are found without an injured hand?
14. What are Manech's first words to Mathilde?
(a) Come play with me?
(b) Where are you going?
(c) Why aren't you outside?
(d) You can't walk?
15. Why can't Mathilde contact Favart?
(a) He was in an asylum.
(b) He died.
(c) Tina didn't know where he was.
(d) He left for America.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Manech mark the occasion of his and Mathilde's engagement?
2. With what does the story end?
3. On what day of the week did they arrive?
4. In what year do Manech and Mathilde share their first kiss?
5. Why does Pierre-Marie contact Mathilde?
This section contains 455 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)