|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Poux say that he remembered a man who had lost his mind doing?
(a) Grab Eskimo's gun and shoot himself in the eye.
(b) Build a snowman in the middle of no-man's-land.
(c) Run toward the enemy laughing hysterically.
(d) Run back and forth across no-man's-land.
2. Who does Mathilde let read all of the information she collected in the mahogany box?
(d) Her father.
3. With what does the story end?
(a) A diary entry by Mathilde.
(b) Manech's memory returning.
(c) Mathilde's marriage to Manech.
(d) The final events of the night of Bingo.
4. What is the last thing Manech remembers?
(a) Being tossed over the top of the trench.
(b) Living with his mother.
(c) Waking up in the hospital.
(d) Leaving to go to the war.
5. How long did Manech receive training before he was sent to the front as a foot soldier?
(a) A month.
(b) Three weeks.
(c) Less than a week.
(d) About a year.
6. What did Poux hear about Manech's body from another soldier?
(a) It was never found.
(b) It was riddled with enemy bullets.
(c) It had a self-inflicted gun shot wound.
(d) It was found shot through the back.
7. What does the farmer who now owns the land say a young girl dug up?
(c) A tin.
8. What does Pire think happened to Valentina?
(a) She has grown cruel.
(b) She is purposely hiding from him.
(c) She has left the country.
(d) She has died.
9. Who is caring for Manech now?
(a) No one.
(b) Desrochelles's mother.
(c) His new wife.
(d) Urbain Chardolot.
10. Why does the sergeant think things were taken from the bodies?
(a) To prove identity.
(b) To be able to survive.
(c) To sell for food.
(d) As souvenirs.
11. What name is Manech now known as?
(b) Benjamin Gordes.
(d) Jean Desrochelles.
12. How long does Poux stay with Mathilde?
(a) One full day.
(b) A few hours.
(c) A long time.
(d) A week.
13. When did Tina write the letter to Mathilde?
(a) The first time Madam Conte told her she was trying to contact her.
(b) As she was waiting to be led to the guillotine.
(c) After Madam Conte's death.
(d) When she was visiting her lover's grave.
14. What could be said to be the theme for the remainder of the year for Mathilde?
(c) New information.
15. How does Manech mark the occasion of his and Mathilde's engagement?
(a) By carving three Ms in a tree.
(b) By writing three Ms on his arm.
(c) By running outside and yelling it to the world.
(d) By annoucing it to Sylvain and Benedicte.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long after their engagement does Manech leave for the war?
2. Why does Pire tell Mathilde to stop searching for Tina?
3. What did Nino's code tell Tina?
4. Why did the enemy start fighting more after the biplane crashed?
5. What is Manech doing when Mathilde first sees him again?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)