|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Mathilde gain information about Mariette's whereabouts?
(a) She goes to visit her in Paris.
(b) She goes back to visit Esperanza.
(c) She writes to the priest who married them.
(d) She talks to her young son, Baptistin.
2. What did Esperanza's commander tell him to do in regards to Bingo Crepuscule?
(a) Report on the success of his mission there.
(b) Tell him about the captain's reluctance to follow orders there.
(c) Forget everything that happened there.
(d) Write down the events that happened there.
3. What does Mathilde search for as she begins to try to prove Pierre-Marie wrong?
(a) A stamp.
(b) Military records.
(c) Manech's commanding officer.
(d) The trench named Bingo.
4. What does Mathilde do when she gets home?
(a) Tries to contact one of the family members of another person on the list.
(b) Looks through the items Esperanza gave her.
(c) Cries from grief over her lost love.
(d) Talks to her family about what Esperanza told her.
5. Which of the following characters did not believe in the war when he was assigned his number?
(c) Common Law.
6. Why wouldn't Manech's captain let him go home?
(a) He needed more soldiers.
(b) He wanted him punished.
(c) He didn't trust him.
(d) He didn't like him.
7. Why did Mr. Leprince write to Mathilde?
(a) He was responding to her newspaper ad.
(b) He wanted to talk to her about Esperanza.
(c) He was Manech's commanding officer.
(d) He knew where Manech was hiding.
8. Where did Esperanza meet Manech?
(a) He served with him when he shot himself.
(b) He was assigned to lead the condemned to a trench.
(c) He was the man who condemned him to death.
(d) He was part of the group that was condemned to death.
9. Who does Angel write his letter to?
(a) His wife.
(b) His mother.
(c) His friend.
(d) His lover.
10. When did Madam Conte say Valentina lasted visited?
(a) January 1918.
(b) January 1917.
(c) December 1918.
(d) April 1917.
11. Why did Angel agree to join the army?
(a) He didn't think the war would last long.
(b) He wanted to find fame and fortune.
(c) He wanted to fight a common enemy.
(d) He needed to find a way to support his wife.
12. Who does Mathilde hire Germain to find?
(b) Celestin Poux.
(d) Tina Lambardi.
13. How did Elodie feel about Eskimo?
14. What did the woman believe about Veronique?
(a) That she was hiding something from her.
(b) That Veronique thought she was crazy.
(c) That Veronique was making up stories.
(d) That she was constantly talking to Eskimo.
15. Why did Elodie Gordes hire the private investigator?
(a) To understand the truth of that day at Bingo.
(b) To find her long lost lover.
(c) To find another clue to where her husband might be living.
(d) To have her husband declared legally dead.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Benjamin angry with Eskimo when Eskimo returned to war?
2. Who does Six-Soux send his letter to?
3. What couldn't Esperanza believe the French would do to their own soldiers?
4. Why is Mathilde unable to walk?
5. Who does Mathilde think was the woman who visited the Eskimo's lover?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)