|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Pierre-Marie report happened to the condemned men?
(a) They were thrown above the trench.
(b) They were pardoned.
(c) They were sentenced to hard labor.
(d) They escaped.
2. Why did Esperanza write Manech's letter?
(a) He was in too much of a transe-like state to write.
(b) He was illiterate and unable to write.
(c) He refused to write one himself.
(d) He was injured in the hand he wrote with.
3. Where did Mariette Notre-Dame go when she left for good leaving no forwarding address?
(a) A taxi out of the country.
(c) Train station.
4. How many men does Pierre-Marie tell Esperanza were condemned to death after being convicted of self-mutilation?
5. What did Elodie reveal about her love of Benjamin in her letter to Mathilde?
(a) She pretended to love him to have a place to live.
(b) She tolerated him, but is just as glad that he is gone now.
(c) Her passion was not as strong as it was for her first lover.
(d) It was the strongest love she's ever felt.
6. What month is it as this chapter opens?
7. What does Pierre-Marie believe about Esperanza's story?
(a) He thinks it is all a lie.
(b) He thinks that Mathilde is telling it wrong.
(c) He thinks it is a tall tale.
(d) He thinks it is a sad story.
8. What belief does Captain Favourier have about the men?
(a) That they died quickly.
(b) That all five are still alive.
(c) That they will forgive him.
(d) That they moved over to the other side.
9. Which of the following characters is from Paris?
(d) Common Law.
10. What does Mathilde search for as she begins to try to prove Pierre-Marie wrong?
(a) The trench named Bingo.
(b) Military records.
(c) Manech's commanding officer.
(d) A stamp.
11. Why did Elodie Gordes hire the private investigator?
(a) To find her long lost lover.
(b) To find another clue to where her husband might be living.
(c) To understand the truth of that day at Bingo.
(d) To have her husband declared legally dead.
12. What year did Biscuit and Eskimo stop being friends?
13. Which of the following is not one of the things Esperanza gives to Mathilde as she leaves?
(a) The typed list of the condemned men.
(b) Copies of the condemned men's letters.
(c) A group picture of the condemned men.
(d) The names of the recipients of the condemned men's letters.
14. Where does Mathilde go to meet Elodies Gordes?
15. What was Pierre-Marie's opinion of the events that Esperanza said happened at the trench Bingo after he completed his research?
(a) The events that Esperanza described were accurate.
(b) The events that Esperanza described were an exaggeration.
(c) The events that Esperanza described did not happen.
(d) The events that Esperanza described could not have happened because there was no trench.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the captain wish Esperanza had done with the condemned men?
2. Which of the men condemned to death did Esperanza indicate was wearing German boots?
3. Which of the following is one of the things Mathilde was told in the letter she received from Passavant?
4. What did Little Louis believe the fight between Eskimo and Vera was about?
5. What information did Urbain Chardolot share with Mathilde?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)