|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What had the captain been before the war?
(c) Prison guard.
(d) History teacher.
2. How did Benjamin and Elodie meet?
(a) They knew each other since they were children.
(b) His family took her in when her parents were killed.
(c) He hired her to take care of his children when his wife died.
(d) He had an affair with her.
3. How old is Mathilde at this point in the novel?
4. What does Mathilde do when she gets home?
(a) Talks to her family about what Esperanza told her.
(b) Looks through the items Esperanza gave her.
(c) Tries to contact one of the family members of another person on the list.
(d) Cries from grief over her lost love.
5. What was Pierre-Marie's opinion of the events that Esperanza said happened at the trench Bingo after he completed his research?
(a) The events that Esperanza described were accurate.
(b) The events that Esperanza described did not happen.
(c) The events that Esperanza described were an exaggeration.
(d) The events that Esperanza described could not have happened because there was no trench.
6. How many men are being led to their deaths at the beginning of this novel?
7. What is Bastoche's nickname?
(b) Common Law.
8. How bad was the falling out between Gordes and Eskimo according to Boisseau?
(a) So bad that they refused to talk to each other.
(b) So bad that they tried to kill each other.
(c) So bad that he requested a transfer so he wasn't fighting with Eskimo.
(d) So bad that they cursed and shot at each other frequently.
9. Which of the following characters was a private investigator who offered Mathilde his services?
(a) Germain Pire.
(b) Urbain Chardolot.
(c) Oliver Bergetton.
(d) Elodie Gordes.
10. What information did Urbain Chardolot share with Mathilde?
(a) That her son told her that she had seen all five of them dead in the snow.
(b) That she is aware that Celestin is alive.
(c) That she has done some work for Gordes's wife.
(d) That she has seen Manech with her own eyes.
11. How did Elodie feel about Benjamin's idea that she have an affair with Eskimo?
12. Who does Mathilde think was the woman who visited the Eskimo's lover?
(a) Pierre Marie.
(b) Elodi Gordes.
(c) Tima Lambardi.
(d) Veronique Passavant.
13. How does Madam Conte say she is related to Valentina?
14. What did throwing the five men over the trench cause between the two sides?
(a) A peace treaty.
(b) A lack of respect.
(c) A sort of bonding.
(d) Heavy fighting.
15. Who was the only man not to answer to his name according to Captain Favourier's letter?
(a) Common Law.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Esperanza write Manech's letter?
2. Where did Esperanza meet Manech?
3. Which of the following characters is probably thinking about his fiance as he is walking with the others?
4. Who does Angel write his letter to?
5. Where does Mathilde keep her papers where she organizes her thoughts?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)