|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Manech's nickname?
(a) Common Law.
2. How many men accompanied the condemned men to the trench?
3. Why did Esperanza write Manech's letter?
(a) He was injured in the hand he wrote with.
(b) He was in too much of a transe-like state to write.
(c) He was illiterate and unable to write.
(d) He refused to write one himself.
4. What is Bastoche's nickname?
(d) Common Law.
5. Where did Leprince suggest Mathilde look for Celestin?
(d) Le Boisseau.
6. What were those that were convicted of self-mutilation but not sentenced to death required to do?
(a) Leave the army.
(b) Complete hard labor.
(c) Spend their days in jail.
(d) Assassinate enemy soldiers.
7. What does Mathilde search for as she begins to try to prove Pierre-Marie wrong?
(a) A stamp.
(b) Manech's commanding officer.
(c) The trench named Bingo.
(d) Military records.
8. What belief does Captain Favourier have about the men?
(a) That they will forgive him.
(b) That all five are still alive.
(c) That they moved over to the other side.
(d) That they died quickly.
9. What happened when Mathilde sent a letter to the wife of The Man?
(a) It was never answered or responded to.
(b) It was returned saying she was not at that address.
(c) It was forwarded to Paris.
(d) It was returned saying she did not want to contact Mathilde.
10. Who does Six-Soux send his letter to?
(a) A business associate.
(b) His wife.
(c) A friend.
(d) A lover.
11. Why was Valentina upset with her godmother?
(a) For Talking about Nino with a stranger.
(b) For not calling her sooner.
(c) For not allowing her to live with her.
(d) For corresponding with Mathilde.
12. What does Manech wear as he walks with the others?
(a) A blood smear from his friend.
(b) A faraway smile.
(c) A look of intense grief.
(d) A hat taken from a dead soldier.
13. In what year was this novel made into a French film?
14. Why did Elodie Gordes hire the private investigator?
(a) To find her long lost lover.
(b) To have her husband declared legally dead.
(c) To understand the truth of that day at Bingo.
(d) To find another clue to where her husband might be living.
15. Where did Esperanza meet Manech?
(a) He was the man who condemned him to death.
(b) He was part of the group that was condemned to death.
(c) He was assigned to lead the condemned to a trench.
(d) He served with him when he shot himself.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following was not one of the items Manech had requested from the cook?
2. How many many men were convicted of self-mutilation according to Pierre-Marie?
3. What is Daniel Esperanza dying from?
4. Where does Mathilde keep her papers where she organizes her thoughts?
5. When did Madam Conte say Valentina lasted visited?
This section contains 487 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)