|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Mathilde gain information about Mariette's whereabouts?
(a) She goes to visit her in Paris.
(b) She talks to her young son, Baptistin.
(c) She writes to the priest who married them.
(d) She goes back to visit Esperanza.
2. How did Benjamin and Elodie meet?
(a) He hired her to take care of his children when his wife died.
(b) His family took her in when her parents were killed.
(c) He had an affair with her.
(d) They knew each other since they were children.
3. Why did Angel agree to join the army?
(a) He didn't think the war would last long.
(b) He needed to find a way to support his wife.
(c) He wanted to find fame and fortune.
(d) He wanted to fight a common enemy.
4. What does Pierre-Marie try to convince Mathilde to do?
(a) Search harder for Manech.
(b) Give up her investigation.
(c) Travel to the trench and claim Manech's body.
(d) Write to Manech's commanding officer.
5. What is Daniel Esperanza dying from?
(a) Spanish Flu.
(b) Trench illness.
(c) Wounds sustained in war.
6. Who does Mathilde hire Germain to find?
(a) Tina Lambardi.
(b) Celestin Poux.
7. When was this novel written?
(a) During and after WWII.
(b) Before WWI.
(c) During and after WWI.
(d) During WWII.
8. Who wrote the strangest of all of the letters?
(c) Common Law.
9. From what country is the author of this novel?
10. What was Little Louis glad to read about in Eskimo's letter?
(a) That Eskimo and Biscuit had reconciled.
(b) That Eskimo still remembered Little Louis.
(c) That Eskimo knew where Vera was.
(d) That Eskimo had money to give to Vera.
11. What does Eskimo want to be given to his lover?
(a) All of his savings and an apology.
(b) The items he has hidden in his safe.
(c) The news of his death.
(d) The deed to his house.
12. What is Louis Teyssier to Eskimo?
(a) A business associate.
(b) A lover.
(c) A friend.
(d) A relative.
13. Why was Valentina upset with her godmother?
(a) For Talking about Nino with a stranger.
(b) For corresponding with Mathilde.
(c) For not allowing her to live with her.
(d) For not calling her sooner.
14. What did Esperanza's commander tell him to do in regards to Bingo Crepuscule?
(a) Write down the events that happened there.
(b) Forget everything that happened there.
(c) Tell him about the captain's reluctance to follow orders there.
(d) Report on the success of his mission there.
15. What does Mathilde do when she gets home?
(a) Cries from grief over her lost love.
(b) Tries to contact one of the family members of another person on the list.
(c) Talks to her family about what Esperanza told her.
(d) Looks through the items Esperanza gave her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character was an orphan and married an orphan?
2. How long does Pierre-Marie investigate Esperanza's story?
3. What did Elodie reveal about her love of Benjamin in her letter to Mathilde?
4. What did Little Louis believe the fight between Eskimo and Vera was about?
5. What did the captain wish Esperanza had done with the condemned men?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)