|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What season is it as this novel opens?
2. Who promised to protect Manech for as long as he could?
(a) The Man.
(b) Common Law.
3. How did Elodie describe Benjamin's mood when he came home from the war on leave?
(a) Over joyed.
4. Where did Leprince suggest Mathilde look for Celestin?
(c) Le Boisseau.
5. What does Mathilde do after she reads all of the letters?
(a) Searches out Captain Favourier.
(b) Shares the letters with her relatives.
(c) Puts them in a very safe location.
(d) Writes down her conversation with Esperanza.
6. Which of the men condemned to death did Esperanza indicate was wearing German boots?
(a) Common Law.
(d) The man.
7. What is Louis Teyssier to Eskimo?
(a) A lover.
(b) A relative.
(c) A friend.
(d) A business associate.
8. Who was the only man not to answer to his name according to Captain Favourier's letter?
(d) Common Law.
9. What is Bastoche's nickname?
(b) Common Law.
10. What year is it when Mathilde receives the letter from the dying man?
11. Why did Esperanza write Manech's letter?
(a) He was illiterate and unable to write.
(b) He refused to write one himself.
(c) He was injured in the hand he wrote with.
(d) He was in too much of a transe-like state to write.
12. Why did Elodie Gordes hire the private investigator?
(a) To find her long lost lover.
(b) To have her husband declared legally dead.
(c) To understand the truth of that day at Bingo.
(d) To find another clue to where her husband might be living.
13. What did Mathilde learn from Valentia about Ange's death?
(a) That he made it to Paris and there he died.
(b) That it was somewhere near the Somme.
(c) That it could not be confirmed at this point.
(d) That he was not dead.
14. What decision does Therese make that she believes Six-Soux would approve of?
(a) The decision to marry.
(b) The decision to keep the money.
(c) The decision to send her daughters away.
(d) The decision to leave.
15. How did Elodie feel about Eskimo?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following characters is from Paris?
2. How old is Mathilde at this point in the novel?
3. Why is Mathilde unable to walk?
4. What was Little Louis glad to read about in Eskimo's letter?
5. Which of the following characters is probably thinking about his fiance as he is walking with the others?
This section contains 458 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)