|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened when Mathilde sent a letter to the wife of The Man?
(a) It was returned saying she did not want to contact Mathilde.
(b) It was never answered or responded to.
(c) It was returned saying she was not at that address.
(d) It was forwarded to Paris.
2. Why is Mathilde unable to walk?
(a) A shell from the war hurt her.
(b) She was born unable to walk.
(c) She was painting and the easel fell on her.
(d) She fell off of a ladder when she was little.
3. Which of the following characters did not believe in the war when he was assigned his number?
(d) Common Law.
4. Who writes to Mathilde in January of 1920?
(a) Veronique Passavant.
(b) Benjamin Gordes.
(c) Captain Favourier.
(d) Celestin Poux.
5. Why was Valentina upset with her godmother?
(a) For corresponding with Mathilde.
(b) For not calling her sooner.
(c) For Talking about Nino with a stranger.
(d) For not allowing her to live with her.
6. How does Madam Conte say she is related to Valentina?
7. How did Elodie feel about Eskimo?
8. How did Elodie feel about Benjamin's idea that she have an affair with Eskimo?
9. Where does Mathilde go to meet Elodies Gordes?
10. What decision does Therese make that she believes Six-Soux would approve of?
(a) The decision to send her daughters away.
(b) The decision to keep the money.
(c) The decision to marry.
(d) The decision to leave.
11. What did the woman believe about Veronique?
(a) That she was hiding something from her.
(b) That Veronique thought she was crazy.
(c) That she was constantly talking to Eskimo.
(d) That Veronique was making up stories.
12. Where does Mathilde keep her papers where she organizes her thoughts?
(a) Under pillow as she slept and dreamed about Manech.
(b) In the wedding trousseau she prepared for Manech.
(c) In the personal journal Manech gave her.
(d) In a mahogany box Manech gave her.
13. What does Pierre-Marie believe about Esperanza's story?
(a) He thinks it is a tall tale.
(b) He thinks it is all a lie.
(c) He thinks that Mathilde is telling it wrong.
(d) He thinks it is a sad story.
14. What did Little Louis believe the fight between Eskimo and Vera was about?
(a) Eskimo's bad habits.
(c) Another woman.
15. What did Elodie reveal about her love of Benjamin in her letter to Mathilde?
(a) It was the strongest love she's ever felt.
(b) Her passion was not as strong as it was for her first lover.
(c) She pretended to love him to have a place to live.
(d) She tolerated him, but is just as glad that he is gone now.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Elodie Gordes hire the private investigator?
2. When did Madam Conte say Valentina lasted visited?
3. What is the young French woman in this novel searching for?
4. Who promised to protect Manech for as long as he could?
5. Why does Germain say he will find Poux for no extra cost?
This section contains 551 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)