|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Pierre-Marie try to convince Mathilde to do?
(a) Search harder for Manech.
(b) Give up her investigation.
(c) Write to Manech's commanding officer.
(d) Travel to the trench and claim Manech's body.
2. What question did Germain Pier's letter answer for Mathilde?
(a) If Gordes was wearing German boots.
(b) If Gordes was indeed dead.
(c) If Gordes was indeed related to Poux.
(d) If Gordes was one of the condemned men.
3. Who writes to Mathilde in January of 1920?
(a) Veronique Passavant.
(b) Captain Favourier.
(c) Celestin Poux.
(d) Benjamin Gordes.
4. Which of the following was not one of the items Manech had requested from the cook?
(d) Hot chocolate.
5. Where did Leprince suggest Mathilde look for Celestin?
(c) Le Boisseau.
6. What did Little Louis learn about Biscuit?
(a) He lived in Paris.
(b) He had fled to America.
(c) He married Vera.
(d) He also died in the war.
7. What does Manech wear as he walks with the others?
(a) A blood smear from his friend.
(b) A look of intense grief.
(c) A hat taken from a dead soldier.
(d) A faraway smile.
8. What was Bastoche's job before he joined the army?
(b) Labor organizer.
9. Which of the following is not one of the things Esperanza gives to Mathilde as she leaves?
(a) Copies of the condemned men's letters.
(b) The names of the recipients of the condemned men's letters.
(c) The typed list of the condemned men.
(d) A group picture of the condemned men.
10. Who wrote the strangest of all of the letters?
(b) Common Law.
11. How many many men were convicted of self-mutilation according to Pierre-Marie?
12. Why did Esperanza write Manech's letter?
(a) He was in too much of a transe-like state to write.
(b) He refused to write one himself.
(c) He was injured in the hand he wrote with.
(d) He was illiterate and unable to write.
13. What did Mathilde learn from Valentia about Ange's death?
(a) That he was not dead.
(b) That he made it to Paris and there he died.
(c) That it was somewhere near the Somme.
(d) That it could not be confirmed at this point.
14. What did throwing the five men over the trench cause between the two sides?
(a) Heavy fighting.
(b) A sort of bonding.
(c) A lack of respect.
(d) A peace treaty.
15. What had the captain been before the war?
(a) Prison guard.
(c) History teacher.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Valentina upset with her godmother?
2. What season is it as this novel opens?
3. Who does Six-Soux send his letter to?
4. What is the young French woman in this novel searching for?
5. How many men accompanied the condemned men to the trench?
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)