|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Madam Conte say Valentina lasted visited?
(a) January 1918.
(b) January 1917.
(c) April 1917.
(d) December 1918.
2. Who does Mathilde think was the woman who visited the Eskimo's lover?
(a) Tima Lambardi.
(b) Elodi Gordes.
(c) Veronique Passavant.
(d) Pierre Marie.
3. How did Elodie describe Benjamin's mood when he came home from the war on leave?
(b) Over joyed.
4. What does Manech wear as he walks with the others?
(a) A faraway smile.
(b) A hat taken from a dead soldier.
(c) A blood smear from his friend.
(d) A look of intense grief.
5. Who does Mathilde go to visit in October of 1919?
(a) Six-Soux's wife.
(b) Angel's lover.
(d) Captain Favourier.
6. Which of the men condemned to death did Esperanza indicate was wearing German boots?
(c) Common Law.
(d) The man.
7. Where did Esperanza meet Manech?
(a) He served with him when he shot himself.
(b) He was part of the group that was condemned to death.
(c) He was the man who condemned him to death.
(d) He was assigned to lead the condemned to a trench.
8. What does Mathilde do after she reads all of the letters?
(a) Puts them in a very safe location.
(b) Shares the letters with her relatives.
(c) Writes down her conversation with Esperanza.
(d) Searches out Captain Favourier.
9. Which of the following characters is from Paris?
(b) Common Law.
10. Where does Mathilde spend much of her time?
(a) Walking through the trenches.
(b) Her family's vacation home.
(c) In Paris.
(d) In England, in the hospital.
11. Where did Mariette Notre-Dame go when she left for good leaving no forwarding address?
(a) A taxi out of the country.
(c) Train station.
12. What wish does Captain Favourier speak of in his letter?
(a) The wish Esperanza forget everything that was done.
(b) The wish to get orders to collect the men.
(c) The wish that he will be forgiven for what he did.
(d) The wish that he had ignored orders.
13. What is Louis Teyssier to Eskimo?
(a) A lover.
(b) A business associate.
(c) A relative.
(d) A friend.
14. What question did Germain Pier's letter answer for Mathilde?
(a) If Gordes was wearing German boots.
(b) If Gordes was indeed dead.
(c) If Gordes was indeed related to Poux.
(d) If Gordes was one of the condemned men.
15. How many men does Pierre-Marie tell Esperanza were condemned to death after being convicted of self-mutilation?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Angel agree to join the army?
2. What did Biscuit and Eskimo have in common?
3. What happened when Mathilde sent a letter to the wife of The Man?
4. Which character was an orphan and married an orphan?
5. What does Pierre-Marie try to convince Mathilde to do?
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)