|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Daniel Esperanza dying from?
(b) Trench illness.
(c) Spanish Flu.
(d) Wounds sustained in war.
2. Why did Mr. Leprince write to Mathilde?
(a) He was Manech's commanding officer.
(b) He knew where Manech was hiding.
(c) He wanted to talk to her about Esperanza.
(d) He was responding to her newspaper ad.
3. Which character was an orphan and married an orphan?
(d) Common Law.
4. How old is Mathilde at this point in the novel?
5. What does Pierre-Marie try to convince Mathilde to do?
(a) Give up her investigation.
(b) Write to Manech's commanding officer.
(c) Travel to the trench and claim Manech's body.
(d) Search harder for Manech.
6. What was Little Louis glad to read about in Eskimo's letter?
(a) That Eskimo and Biscuit had reconciled.
(b) That Eskimo still remembered Little Louis.
(c) That Eskimo knew where Vera was.
(d) That Eskimo had money to give to Vera.
7. How did Benjamin and Elodie meet?
(a) He had an affair with her.
(b) He hired her to take care of his children when his wife died.
(c) His family took her in when her parents were killed.
(d) They knew each other since they were children.
8. Where does Mathilde go to meet Elodies Gordes?
9. What year is it when Mathilde receives the letter from the dying man?
10. What did Biscuit and Eskimo have in common?
(a) They both loved Vera.
(b) They were both woodworkers.
(c) They both were condemned prisoners.
(d) They both loved to cook.
11. What did the woman believe about Veronique?
(a) That she was constantly talking to Eskimo.
(b) That she was hiding something from her.
(c) That Veronique thought she was crazy.
(d) That Veronique was making up stories.
12. Where did Leprince suggest Mathilde look for Celestin?
(c) Le Boisseau.
13. Why wouldn't Manech's captain let him go home?
(a) He didn't trust him.
(b) He needed more soldiers.
(c) He wanted him punished.
(d) He didn't like him.
14. Who does Angel write his letter to?
(a) His wife.
(b) His mother.
(c) His lover.
(d) His friend.
15. Which of the following characters is from Paris?
(a) Common Law.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Mariette Notre-Dame go when she left for good leaving no forwarding address?
2. What does Pierre-Marie report happened to the condemned men?
3. Who was the only man not to answer to his name according to Captain Favourier's letter?
4. Who does Six-Soux send his letter to?
5. How did Elodie feel about Eskimo?
This section contains 428 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)