|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which character was an orphan and married an orphan?
(d) Common Law.
2. What was Manech's nickname?
(c) Common Law.
3. What had the captain been before the war?
(b) History teacher.
(d) Prison guard.
4. What was Bastoche's job before he joined the army?
(c) Labor organizer.
5. What does Pierre-Marie try to convince Mathilde to do?
(a) Travel to the trench and claim Manech's body.
(b) Write to Manech's commanding officer.
(c) Search harder for Manech.
(d) Give up her investigation.
6. Who was the only man not to answer to his name according to Captain Favourier's letter?
(c) Common Law.
7. Which of the following is one of the things Mathilde was told in the letter she received from Passavant?
(a) A woman told her that Eskimo was thrown over the trench.
(b) She would like to meet with with Mathilde immediately.
(c) She no longer loves Eskimo and doesn't want to talk about him.
(d) Eskimo told her he planned on shooting himself in the hand.
8. Why did Cornflower try to eat tainted meat?
(a) To avoid being killed by an enemy soldier.
(b) To make himself appear jaundiced.
(c) To kill himself.
(d) As penance for suriving when his friend did not.
9. Why was Benjamin angry with Eskimo when Eskimo returned to war?
(a) He wasn't prepared to handle what he had proposed.
(b) He found out that Eskimo had hurt Elodie.
(c) He heard that Eskimo had sex with Elodie more than once.
(d) He was angry because Eskimo did not make Elodie pregnant.
10. What does Mathilde search for as she begins to try to prove Pierre-Marie wrong?
(a) The trench named Bingo.
(b) Military records.
(c) A stamp.
(d) Manech's commanding officer.
11. Which of the following characters did not believe in the war when he was assigned his number?
(b) Common Law.
12. What is Louis Teyssier to Eskimo?
(a) A lover.
(b) A friend.
(c) A relative.
(d) A business associate.
13. Why does Germain say he will find Poux for no extra cost?
(a) He wants to prove himself.
(b) He already was paid to find Poux.
(c) He loves Mathilde.
(d) He knwos where he is hiding.
14. Why did Angel agree to join the army?
(a) He wanted to find fame and fortune.
(b) He needed to find a way to support his wife.
(c) He didn't think the war would last long.
(d) He wanted to fight a common enemy.
15. When did Madam Conte say Valentina lasted visited?
(a) January 1918.
(b) April 1917.
(c) January 1917.
(d) December 1918.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mathilde do when she gets home?
2. In what year was this novel made into a French film?
3. What does Manech wear as he walks with the others?
4. How many men are being led to their deaths at the beginning of this novel?
5. What couldn't Esperanza believe the French would do to their own soldiers?
This section contains 537 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)