|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Elodie describe Benjamin's mood when he came home from the war on leave?
(d) Over joyed.
2. How does Mathilde gain information about Mariette's whereabouts?
(a) She writes to the priest who married them.
(b) She goes back to visit Esperanza.
(c) She talks to her young son, Baptistin.
(d) She goes to visit her in Paris.
3. What does Mathilde do when she gets home?
(a) Looks through the items Esperanza gave her.
(b) Talks to her family about what Esperanza told her.
(c) Cries from grief over her lost love.
(d) Tries to contact one of the family members of another person on the list.
4. What is Louis Teyssier to Eskimo?
(a) A lover.
(b) A relative.
(c) A business associate.
(d) A friend.
5. Why was Valentina upset with her godmother?
(a) For not allowing her to live with her.
(b) For not calling her sooner.
(c) For corresponding with Mathilde.
(d) For Talking about Nino with a stranger.
6. How did Elodie feel about Eskimo?
7. Which of the men condemned to death did Esperanza indicate was wearing German boots?
(b) Common Law.
(c) The man.
8. What is Bastoche's nickname?
(d) Common Law.
9. Which man readily admitted to Esperanza that he had committed self-mutilation?
(b) Common Law.
10. Who writes to Mathilde in January of 1920?
(a) Benjamin Gordes.
(b) Veronique Passavant.
(c) Captain Favourier.
(d) Celestin Poux.
11. Why did Mr. Leprince write to Mathilde?
(a) He knew where Manech was hiding.
(b) He wanted to talk to her about Esperanza.
(c) He was Manech's commanding officer.
(d) He was responding to her newspaper ad.
12. Where did Mariette Notre-Dame go when she left for good leaving no forwarding address?
(a) Train station.
(c) A taxi out of the country.
13. What was Bastoche's job before he joined the army?
(b) Labor organizer.
14. What had the captain been before the war?
(b) Prison guard.
(c) History teacher.
15. How did Elodie feel about Benjamin's idea that she have an affair with Eskimo?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Mathilde keep her papers where she organizes her thoughts?
2. What did the captain wish Esperanza had done with the condemned men?
3. Why wouldn't Manech's captain let him go home?
4. What information did Urbain Chardolot share with Mathilde?
5. What wish does Captain Favourier speak of in his letter?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)