|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following characters did not believe in the war when he was assigned his number?
(a) Common Law.
2. What does Pierre-Marie believe about Esperanza's story?
(a) He thinks it is a tall tale.
(b) He thinks it is a sad story.
(c) He thinks it is all a lie.
(d) He thinks that Mathilde is telling it wrong.
3. Who writes to Mathilde in January of 1920?
(a) Celestin Poux.
(b) Benjamin Gordes.
(c) Captain Favourier.
(d) Veronique Passavant.
4. What decision does Therese make that she believes Six-Soux would approve of?
(a) The decision to send her daughters away.
(b) The decision to marry.
(c) The decision to leave.
(d) The decision to keep the money.
5. Where does Mathilde keep her papers where she organizes her thoughts?
(a) In the personal journal Manech gave her.
(b) In the wedding trousseau she prepared for Manech.
(c) In a mahogany box Manech gave her.
(d) Under pillow as she slept and dreamed about Manech.
6. What had the captain been before the war?
(c) History teacher.
(d) Prison guard.
7. When did Madam Conte say Valentina lasted visited?
(a) January 1917.
(b) April 1917.
(c) December 1918.
(d) January 1918.
8. Who promised to protect Manech for as long as he could?
(b) The Man.
(c) Common Law.
9. What question did Germain Pier's letter answer for Mathilde?
(a) If Gordes was wearing German boots.
(b) If Gordes was one of the condemned men.
(c) If Gordes was indeed related to Poux.
(d) If Gordes was indeed dead.
10. Which of the following is one of the things Mathilde was told in the letter she received from Passavant?
(a) She would like to meet with with Mathilde immediately.
(b) Eskimo told her he planned on shooting himself in the hand.
(c) A woman told her that Eskimo was thrown over the trench.
(d) She no longer loves Eskimo and doesn't want to talk about him.
11. What did Elodie reveal about her love of Benjamin in her letter to Mathilde?
(a) She pretended to love him to have a place to live.
(b) She tolerated him, but is just as glad that he is gone now.
(c) Her passion was not as strong as it was for her first lover.
(d) It was the strongest love she's ever felt.
12. What did Mathilde learn from Valentia about Ange's death?
(a) That it was somewhere near the Somme.
(b) That it could not be confirmed at this point.
(c) That he was not dead.
(d) That he made it to Paris and there he died.
13. What was Little Louis glad to read about in Eskimo's letter?
(a) That Eskimo knew where Vera was.
(b) That Eskimo and Biscuit had reconciled.
(c) That Eskimo still remembered Little Louis.
(d) That Eskimo had money to give to Vera.
14. Why wouldn't Manech's captain let him go home?
(a) He didn't like him.
(b) He didn't trust him.
(c) He needed more soldiers.
(d) He wanted him punished.
15. Why did Mr. Leprince write to Mathilde?
(a) He knew where Manech was hiding.
(b) He wanted to talk to her about Esperanza.
(c) He was responding to her newspaper ad.
(d) He was Manech's commanding officer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What information did Urbain Chardolot share with Mathilde?
2. What did Esperanza allow the condemned men do as they ate?
3. How did Elodie describe Benjamin's mood when he came home from the war on leave?
4. Which of the following characters is probably thinking about his fiance as he is walking with the others?
5. Who does Mathilde go to visit in October of 1919?
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)