|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does Pierre-Marie investigate Esperanza's story?
(a) Three weeks.
(b) Six weeks.
(c) Five weeks.
(d) Eight weeks.
2. How bad was the falling out between Gordes and Eskimo according to Boisseau?
(a) So bad that they cursed and shot at each other frequently.
(b) So bad that they tried to kill each other.
(c) So bad that they refused to talk to each other.
(d) So bad that he requested a transfer so he wasn't fighting with Eskimo.
3. When was this novel written?
(a) During WWII.
(b) During and after WWI.
(c) During and after WWII.
(d) Before WWI.
4. Why does Germain say he will find Poux for no extra cost?
(a) He knwos where he is hiding.
(b) He already was paid to find Poux.
(c) He wants to prove himself.
(d) He loves Mathilde.
5. What season is it as this novel opens?
6. From what country is the author of this novel?
7. Which of the following characters is from Paris?
(d) Common Law.
8. Why did Cornflower try to eat tainted meat?
(a) To make himself appear jaundiced.
(b) To avoid being killed by an enemy soldier.
(c) As penance for suriving when his friend did not.
(d) To kill himself.
9. Why is Mathilde unable to walk?
(a) A shell from the war hurt her.
(b) She was born unable to walk.
(c) She fell off of a ladder when she was little.
(d) She was painting and the easel fell on her.
10. What does Mathilde do when she gets home?
(a) Talks to her family about what Esperanza told her.
(b) Tries to contact one of the family members of another person on the list.
(c) Cries from grief over her lost love.
(d) Looks through the items Esperanza gave her.
11. Who does Mathilde go to visit in October of 1919?
(a) Captain Favourier.
(c) Six-Soux's wife.
(d) Angel's lover.
12. What did throwing the five men over the trench cause between the two sides?
(a) A lack of respect.
(b) Heavy fighting.
(c) A sort of bonding.
(d) A peace treaty.
13. How many men does Pierre-Marie tell Esperanza were condemned to death after being convicted of self-mutilation?
14. Why did Mr. Leprince write to Mathilde?
(a) He was Manech's commanding officer.
(b) He was responding to her newspaper ad.
(c) He wanted to talk to her about Esperanza.
(d) He knew where Manech was hiding.
15. What decision does Therese make that she believes Six-Soux would approve of?
(a) The decision to leave.
(b) The decision to send her daughters away.
(c) The decision to keep the money.
(d) The decision to marry.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who promised to protect Manech for as long as he could?
2. How many men accompanied the condemned men to the trench?
3. What year is it when Mathilde receives the letter from the dying man?
4. What wish does Captain Favourier speak of in his letter?
5. Who does Mathilde think was the woman who visited the Eskimo's lover?
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)