|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What had the captain been before the war?
(c) Prison guard.
(d) History teacher.
2. In what year was this novel made into a French film?
3. How bad was the falling out between Gordes and Eskimo according to Boisseau?
(a) So bad that they refused to talk to each other.
(b) So bad that they tried to kill each other.
(c) So bad that he requested a transfer so he wasn't fighting with Eskimo.
(d) So bad that they cursed and shot at each other frequently.
4. What was Little Louis glad to read about in Eskimo's letter?
(a) That Eskimo had money to give to Vera.
(b) That Eskimo still remembered Little Louis.
(c) That Eskimo and Biscuit had reconciled.
(d) That Eskimo knew where Vera was.
5. Which of the men condemned to death did Esperanza indicate was wearing German boots?
(c) Common Law.
(d) The man.
6. What were those that were convicted of self-mutilation but not sentenced to death required to do?
(a) Assassinate enemy soldiers.
(b) Spend their days in jail.
(c) Complete hard labor.
(d) Leave the army.
7. What did throwing the five men over the trench cause between the two sides?
(a) A sort of bonding.
(b) A peace treaty.
(c) A lack of respect.
(d) Heavy fighting.
8. Who does Mathilde go to visit in October of 1919?
(a) Six-Soux's wife.
(c) Captain Favourier.
(d) Angel's lover.
9. How long does Pierre-Marie investigate Esperanza's story?
(a) Six weeks.
(b) Eight weeks.
(c) Five weeks.
(d) Three weeks.
10. Which character was an orphan and married an orphan?
(c) Common Law.
11. Why did Cornflower try to eat tainted meat?
(a) To make himself appear jaundiced.
(b) To kill himself.
(c) To avoid being killed by an enemy soldier.
(d) As penance for suriving when his friend did not.
12. How many many men were convicted of self-mutilation according to Pierre-Marie?
13. How did Benjamin and Elodie meet?
(a) He hired her to take care of his children when his wife died.
(b) His family took her in when her parents were killed.
(c) He had an affair with her.
(d) They knew each other since they were children.
14. What did Biscuit and Eskimo have in common?
(a) They both loved to cook.
(b) They were both woodworkers.
(c) They both loved Vera.
(d) They both were condemned prisoners.
15. What did Little Louis learn about Biscuit?
(a) He also died in the war.
(b) He had fled to America.
(c) He married Vera.
(d) He lived in Paris.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Little Louis believe the fight between Eskimo and Vera was about?
2. Who does Six-Soux send his letter to?
3. Which of the following is one of the things Mathilde was told in the letter she received from Passavant?
4. Who does Angel write his letter to?
5. Which man readily admitted to Esperanza that he had committed self-mutilation?
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)