|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What month is it as this chapter opens?
2. What did the enemy side throw out over no-man's-land?
3. Which man readily admitted to Esperanza that he had committed self-mutilation?
(b) Common Law.
4. Who promised to protect Manech for as long as he could?
(b) The Man.
(c) Common Law.
5. What does Manech wear as he walks with the others?
(a) A blood smear from his friend.
(b) A look of intense grief.
(c) A hat taken from a dead soldier.
(d) A faraway smile.
6. Where does Mathilde keep her papers where she organizes her thoughts?
(a) Under pillow as she slept and dreamed about Manech.
(b) In a mahogany box Manech gave her.
(c) In the personal journal Manech gave her.
(d) In the wedding trousseau she prepared for Manech.
7. What is Daniel Esperanza dying from?
(a) Wounds sustained in war.
(b) Spanish Flu.
(d) Trench illness.
8. Which character was an orphan and married an orphan?
(c) Common Law.
9. Where did Esperanza meet Manech?
(a) He was the man who condemned him to death.
(b) He was assigned to lead the condemned to a trench.
(c) He served with him when he shot himself.
(d) He was part of the group that was condemned to death.
10. What did Esperanza allow the condemned men do as they ate?
(a) Escape from the trench and other soldiers.
(b) Write out their last will and testimate.
(c) Use the telephone to call whomever they wished.
(d) Write a final letter to whomever they wished.
11. What does Mathilde do when she gets home?
(a) Tries to contact one of the family members of another person on the list.
(b) Talks to her family about what Esperanza told her.
(c) Looks through the items Esperanza gave her.
(d) Cries from grief over her lost love.
12. Why does the smile make the other men uncomfortable?
(a) Because even as he yells, he smiles.
(b) Because they know he is being led to his death.
(c) Because it does not reach his eyes.
(d) Because it has an eerie look to it.
13. How many men are being led to their deaths at the beginning of this novel?
14. What had the captain been before the war?
(b) History teacher.
(d) Prison guard.
15. What is the young French woman in this novel searching for?
(a) Her fiance.
(b) Her husband.
(c) Her brother.
(d) Her father.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Elodie feel about Eskimo?
2. What does Mathilde search for as she begins to try to prove Pierre-Marie wrong?
3. What did Mathilde learn from Valentia about Ange's death?
4. Which of the men condemned to death did Esperanza indicate was wearing German boots?
5. How bad was the falling out between Gordes and Eskimo according to Boisseau?
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)