|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year was this novel made into a French film?
2. Where did Mariette Notre-Dame go when she left for good leaving no forwarding address?
(a) A taxi out of the country.
(c) Train station.
3. What was Little Louis glad to read about in Eskimo's letter?
(a) That Eskimo still remembered Little Louis.
(b) That Eskimo had money to give to Vera.
(c) That Eskimo and Biscuit had reconciled.
(d) That Eskimo knew where Vera was.
4. What does Manech wear as he walks with the others?
(a) A blood smear from his friend.
(b) A look of intense grief.
(c) A hat taken from a dead soldier.
(d) A faraway smile.
5. From what country is the author of this novel?
6. Which of the following is not one of the things Esperanza gives to Mathilde as she leaves?
(a) A group picture of the condemned men.
(b) The names of the recipients of the condemned men's letters.
(c) The typed list of the condemned men.
(d) Copies of the condemned men's letters.
7. Who writes to Mathilde in January of 1920?
(a) Captain Favourier.
(b) Benjamin Gordes.
(c) Celestin Poux.
(d) Veronique Passavant.
8. Who does Six-Soux send his letter to?
(a) A lover.
(b) His wife.
(c) A business associate.
(d) A friend.
9. Which of the following characters did not believe in the war when he was assigned his number?
(c) Common Law.
10. What was Pierre-Marie's opinion of the events that Esperanza said happened at the trench Bingo after he completed his research?
(a) The events that Esperanza described were an exaggeration.
(b) The events that Esperanza described did not happen.
(c) The events that Esperanza described were accurate.
(d) The events that Esperanza described could not have happened because there was no trench.
11. How did Elodie feel about Eskimo?
12. What does Mathilde search for as she begins to try to prove Pierre-Marie wrong?
(a) Manech's commanding officer.
(b) A stamp.
(c) The trench named Bingo.
(d) Military records.
13. What information did Urbain Chardolot share with Mathilde?
(a) That she has done some work for Gordes's wife.
(b) That she is aware that Celestin is alive.
(c) That she has seen Manech with her own eyes.
(d) That her son told her that she had seen all five of them dead in the snow.
14. What did Biscuit and Eskimo have in common?
(a) They were both woodworkers.
(b) They both loved to cook.
(c) They both were condemned prisoners.
(d) They both loved Vera.
15. Who does Mathilde think was the woman who visited the Eskimo's lover?
(a) Elodi Gordes.
(b) Veronique Passavant.
(c) Tima Lambardi.
(d) Pierre Marie.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Elodie give Mathilde much information?
2. How bad was the falling out between Gordes and Eskimo according to Boisseau?
3. What does Pierre-Marie try to convince Mathilde to do?
4. How many men does Pierre-Marie tell Esperanza were condemned to death after being convicted of self-mutilation?
5. Which of the following characters was a private investigator who offered Mathilde his services?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)