|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many many men were convicted of self-mutilation according to Pierre-Marie?
2. What did Esperanza allow the condemned men do as they ate?
(a) Write a final letter to whomever they wished.
(b) Use the telephone to call whomever they wished.
(c) Write out their last will and testimate.
(d) Escape from the trench and other soldiers.
3. Why did Mr. Leprince write to Mathilde?
(a) He knew where Manech was hiding.
(b) He wanted to talk to her about Esperanza.
(c) He was Manech's commanding officer.
(d) He was responding to her newspaper ad.
4. Which of the following characters did not believe in the war when he was assigned his number?
(c) Common Law.
5. Which of the following is not one of the things Esperanza gives to Mathilde as she leaves?
(a) The names of the recipients of the condemned men's letters.
(b) Copies of the condemned men's letters.
(c) The typed list of the condemned men.
(d) A group picture of the condemned men.
6. Who does Angel write his letter to?
(a) His wife.
(b) His friend.
(c) His mother.
(d) His lover.
7. What decision does Therese make that she believes Six-Soux would approve of?
(a) The decision to marry.
(b) The decision to send her daughters away.
(c) The decision to keep the money.
(d) The decision to leave.
8. How long does Pierre-Marie investigate Esperanza's story?
(a) Three weeks.
(b) Five weeks.
(c) Six weeks.
(d) Eight weeks.
9. Who was the only man not to answer to his name according to Captain Favourier's letter?
(d) Common Law.
10. Why doesn't Elodie give Mathilde much information?
(a) She is too emotionally heartbroken.
(b) She is afraid she'll lose her pension.
(c) She does not trust Mathilde.
(d) She is too embarrassed.
11. What had the captain been before the war?
(b) Prison guard.
(c) History teacher.
12. What did Esperanza's commander tell him to do in regards to Bingo Crepuscule?
(a) Forget everything that happened there.
(b) Report on the success of his mission there.
(c) Tell him about the captain's reluctance to follow orders there.
(d) Write down the events that happened there.
13. Who writes to Mathilde in January of 1920?
(a) Celestin Poux.
(b) Benjamin Gordes.
(c) Captain Favourier.
(d) Veronique Passavant.
14. What was Manech's nickname?
(b) Common Law.
15. When did Madam Conte say Valentina lasted visited?
(a) January 1917.
(b) April 1917.
(c) December 1918.
(d) January 1918.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pierre-Marie try to convince Mathilde to do?
2. What is the young French woman in this novel searching for?
3. Which man readily admitted to Esperanza that he had committed self-mutilation?
4. How many men are being led to their deaths at the beginning of this novel?
5. What was Little Louis glad to read about in Eskimo's letter?
This section contains 476 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)