|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What season is it as this novel opens?
2. How does Mathilde gain information about Mariette's whereabouts?
(a) She talks to her young son, Baptistin.
(b) She goes to visit her in Paris.
(c) She goes back to visit Esperanza.
(d) She writes to the priest who married them.
3. Where did Mariette Notre-Dame go when she left for good leaving no forwarding address?
(c) Train station.
(d) A taxi out of the country.
4. How many men accompanied the condemned men to the trench?
5. What does Pierre-Marie try to convince Mathilde to do?
(a) Give up her investigation.
(b) Search harder for Manech.
(c) Travel to the trench and claim Manech's body.
(d) Write to Manech's commanding officer.
6. What did the woman believe about Veronique?
(a) That Veronique thought she was crazy.
(b) That she was hiding something from her.
(c) That Veronique was making up stories.
(d) That she was constantly talking to Eskimo.
7. Who was the only man not to answer to his name according to Captain Favourier's letter?
(d) Common Law.
8. How does Madam Conte say she is related to Valentina?
9. Why does the smile make the other men uncomfortable?
(a) Because they know he is being led to his death.
(b) Because it has an eerie look to it.
(c) Because even as he yells, he smiles.
(d) Because it does not reach his eyes.
10. Which of the following characters is from Paris?
(d) Common Law.
11. Who writes to Mathilde in January of 1920?
(a) Benjamin Gordes.
(b) Captain Favourier.
(c) Veronique Passavant.
(d) Celestin Poux.
12. What does Mathilde do after she reads all of the letters?
(a) Shares the letters with her relatives.
(b) Writes down her conversation with Esperanza.
(c) Searches out Captain Favourier.
(d) Puts them in a very safe location.
13. Why is Mathilde unable to walk?
(a) A shell from the war hurt her.
(b) She was born unable to walk.
(c) She fell off of a ladder when she was little.
(d) She was painting and the easel fell on her.
14. Which character was an orphan and married an orphan?
(a) Common Law.
15. When did Madam Conte say Valentina lasted visited?
(a) April 1917.
(b) December 1918.
(c) January 1917.
(d) January 1918.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Pierre-Marie investigate Esperanza's story?
2. What wish does Captain Favourier speak of in his letter?
3. Which of the following characters did not believe in the war when he was assigned his number?
4. Who does Six-Soux send his letter to?
5. In what year was this novel made into a French film?
This section contains 456 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)