|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Little Louis learn about Biscuit?
(a) He lived in Paris.
(b) He married Vera.
(c) He had fled to America.
(d) He also died in the war.
2. What did Elodie reveal about her love of Benjamin in her letter to Mathilde?
(a) She pretended to love him to have a place to live.
(b) She tolerated him, but is just as glad that he is gone now.
(c) It was the strongest love she's ever felt.
(d) Her passion was not as strong as it was for her first lover.
3. Where did Esperanza meet Manech?
(a) He served with him when he shot himself.
(b) He was part of the group that was condemned to death.
(c) He was the man who condemned him to death.
(d) He was assigned to lead the condemned to a trench.
4. Where did Leprince suggest Mathilde look for Celestin?
(d) Le Boisseau.
5. Why was Benjamin angry with Eskimo when Eskimo returned to war?
(a) He was angry because Eskimo did not make Elodie pregnant.
(b) He found out that Eskimo had hurt Elodie.
(c) He heard that Eskimo had sex with Elodie more than once.
(d) He wasn't prepared to handle what he had proposed.
6. What did Esperanza allow the condemned men do as they ate?
(a) Use the telephone to call whomever they wished.
(b) Write a final letter to whomever they wished.
(c) Escape from the trench and other soldiers.
(d) Write out their last will and testimate.
7. Which of the men condemned to death did Esperanza indicate was wearing German boots?
(b) Common Law.
(c) The man.
8. Who writes to Mathilde in January of 1920?
(a) Veronique Passavant.
(b) Captain Favourier.
(c) Celestin Poux.
(d) Benjamin Gordes.
9. In what year was this novel made into a French film?
10. What does Manech wear as he walks with the others?
(a) A look of intense grief.
(b) A blood smear from his friend.
(c) A hat taken from a dead soldier.
(d) A faraway smile.
11. Why did Cornflower try to eat tainted meat?
(a) As penance for suriving when his friend did not.
(b) To kill himself.
(c) To make himself appear jaundiced.
(d) To avoid being killed by an enemy soldier.
12. What does Pierre-Marie report happened to the condemned men?
(a) They were pardoned.
(b) They were sentenced to hard labor.
(c) They were thrown above the trench.
(d) They escaped.
13. What does Eskimo want to be given to his lover?
(a) All of his savings and an apology.
(b) The items he has hidden in his safe.
(c) The deed to his house.
(d) The news of his death.
14. Who does Six-Soux send his letter to?
(a) A lover.
(b) A friend.
(c) His wife.
(d) A business associate.
15. How did Benjamin and Elodie meet?
(a) He hired her to take care of his children when his wife died.
(b) He had an affair with her.
(c) His family took her in when her parents were killed.
(d) They knew each other since they were children.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Elodie give Mathilde much information?
2. Why did Esperanza write Manech's letter?
3. Who wrote the strangest of all of the letters?
4. Which of the following characters is probably thinking about his fiance as he is walking with the others?
5. What did the woman believe about Veronique?
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)