|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mathilde do after she reads all of the letters?
(a) Shares the letters with her relatives.
(b) Searches out Captain Favourier.
(c) Writes down her conversation with Esperanza.
(d) Puts them in a very safe location.
2. Which of the following was not one of the items Manech had requested from the cook?
(b) Hot chocolate.
3. Which man readily admitted to Esperanza that he had committed self-mutilation?
(c) Common Law.
4. What does Manech wear as he walks with the others?
(a) A look of intense grief.
(b) A blood smear from his friend.
(c) A faraway smile.
(d) A hat taken from a dead soldier.
5. How long does Pierre-Marie investigate Esperanza's story?
(a) Six weeks.
(b) Eight weeks.
(c) Five weeks.
(d) Three weeks.
6. What year did Biscuit and Eskimo stop being friends?
7. Which of the following characters did not believe in the war when he was assigned his number?
(a) Common Law.
8. What was Pierre-Marie's opinion of the events that Esperanza said happened at the trench Bingo after he completed his research?
(a) The events that Esperanza described were accurate.
(b) The events that Esperanza described did not happen.
(c) The events that Esperanza described were an exaggeration.
(d) The events that Esperanza described could not have happened because there was no trench.
9. Who writes to Mathilde in January of 1920?
(a) Veronique Passavant.
(b) Celestin Poux.
(c) Benjamin Gordes.
(d) Captain Favourier.
10. Which of the following is one of the things Mathilde was told in the letter she received from Passavant?
(a) Eskimo told her he planned on shooting himself in the hand.
(b) A woman told her that Eskimo was thrown over the trench.
(c) She no longer loves Eskimo and doesn't want to talk about him.
(d) She would like to meet with with Mathilde immediately.
11. Why did Mr. Leprince write to Mathilde?
(a) He wanted to talk to her about Esperanza.
(b) He was Manech's commanding officer.
(c) He was responding to her newspaper ad.
(d) He knew where Manech was hiding.
12. What did the enemy side throw out over no-man's-land?
13. What did Esperanza allow the condemned men do as they ate?
(a) Escape from the trench and other soldiers.
(b) Write a final letter to whomever they wished.
(c) Use the telephone to call whomever they wished.
(d) Write out their last will and testimate.
14. How bad was the falling out between Gordes and Eskimo according to Boisseau?
(a) So bad that he requested a transfer so he wasn't fighting with Eskimo.
(b) So bad that they tried to kill each other.
(c) So bad that they refused to talk to each other.
(d) So bad that they cursed and shot at each other frequently.
15. What wish does Captain Favourier speak of in his letter?
(a) The wish that he will be forgiven for what he did.
(b) The wish Esperanza forget everything that was done.
(c) The wish that he had ignored orders.
(d) The wish to get orders to collect the men.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mathilde search for as she begins to try to prove Pierre-Marie wrong?
2. How did Benjamin and Elodie meet?
3. Who does Angel write his letter to?
4. What did the captain wish Esperanza had done with the condemned men?
5. How did Elodie describe Benjamin's mood when he came home from the war on leave?
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)