|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Madam Conte say Valentina lasted visited?
(a) December 1918.
(b) April 1917.
(c) January 1917.
(d) January 1918.
2. Why doesn't Elodie give Mathilde much information?
(a) She is too embarrassed.
(b) She is too emotionally heartbroken.
(c) She is afraid she'll lose her pension.
(d) She does not trust Mathilde.
3. What is Louis Teyssier to Eskimo?
(a) A lover.
(b) A friend.
(c) A relative.
(d) A business associate.
4. What does Mathilde do after she reads all of the letters?
(a) Puts them in a very safe location.
(b) Searches out Captain Favourier.
(c) Writes down her conversation with Esperanza.
(d) Shares the letters with her relatives.
5. What does Pierre-Marie report happened to the condemned men?
(a) They were pardoned.
(b) They were sentenced to hard labor.
(c) They were thrown above the trench.
(d) They escaped.
6. How did Elodie feel about Benjamin's idea that she have an affair with Eskimo?
7. What couldn't Esperanza believe the French would do to their own soldiers?
(a) Order them to kill their commrades.
(b) Allow them to be killed by firing squad.
(c) Throw them over the top of a trench to be killed.
(d) Refuse to follow direct orders.
8. In what year was this novel made into a French film?
9. What did Little Louis learn about Biscuit?
(a) He also died in the war.
(b) He lived in Paris.
(c) He had fled to America.
(d) He married Vera.
10. Why does Germain say he will find Poux for no extra cost?
(a) He wants to prove himself.
(b) He already was paid to find Poux.
(c) He loves Mathilde.
(d) He knwos where he is hiding.
11. Why did Esperanza write Manech's letter?
(a) He was illiterate and unable to write.
(b) He was in too much of a transe-like state to write.
(c) He refused to write one himself.
(d) He was injured in the hand he wrote with.
12. What does Pierre-Marie believe about Esperanza's story?
(a) He thinks it is a tall tale.
(b) He thinks that Mathilde is telling it wrong.
(c) He thinks it is all a lie.
(d) He thinks it is a sad story.
13. Why was Benjamin angry with Eskimo when Eskimo returned to war?
(a) He found out that Eskimo had hurt Elodie.
(b) He wasn't prepared to handle what he had proposed.
(c) He heard that Eskimo had sex with Elodie more than once.
(d) He was angry because Eskimo did not make Elodie pregnant.
14. Which of the following characters is probably thinking about his fiance as he is walking with the others?
(a) Common Law.
15. What wish does Captain Favourier speak of in his letter?
(a) The wish that he had ignored orders.
(b) The wish that he will be forgiven for what he did.
(c) The wish Esperanza forget everything that was done.
(d) The wish to get orders to collect the men.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Angel write his letter to?
2. What does Mathilde search for as she begins to try to prove Pierre-Marie wrong?
3. What does Mathilde do when she gets home?
4. How old is Mathilde at this point in the novel?
5. What did throwing the five men over the trench cause between the two sides?
This section contains 558 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)