|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which character was an orphan and married an orphan?
(d) Common Law.
2. What did Esperanza allow the condemned men do as they ate?
(a) Escape from the trench and other soldiers.
(b) Write a final letter to whomever they wished.
(c) Use the telephone to call whomever they wished.
(d) Write out their last will and testimate.
3. What month is it as this chapter opens?
4. What was Little Louis glad to read about in Eskimo's letter?
(a) That Eskimo and Biscuit had reconciled.
(b) That Eskimo had money to give to Vera.
(c) That Eskimo still remembered Little Louis.
(d) That Eskimo knew where Vera was.
5. What did Little Louis believe the fight between Eskimo and Vera was about?
(b) Another woman.
(d) Eskimo's bad habits.
6. Which of the following characters did not believe in the war when he was assigned his number?
(c) Common Law.
7. What is Louis Teyssier to Eskimo?
(a) A relative.
(b) A lover.
(c) A business associate.
(d) A friend.
8. How does Madam Conte say she is related to Valentina?
9. Why did Esperanza write Manech's letter?
(a) He was illiterate and unable to write.
(b) He was in too much of a transe-like state to write.
(c) He was injured in the hand he wrote with.
(d) He refused to write one himself.
10. Where does Mathilde go to meet Elodies Gordes?
11. What did the enemy side throw out over no-man's-land?
12. How many men does Pierre-Marie tell Esperanza were condemned to death after being convicted of self-mutilation?
13. Which of the following characters is probably thinking about his fiance as he is walking with the others?
(b) Common Law.
14. Where does Mathilde keep her papers where she organizes her thoughts?
(a) In a mahogany box Manech gave her.
(b) In the personal journal Manech gave her.
(c) Under pillow as she slept and dreamed about Manech.
(d) In the wedding trousseau she prepared for Manech.
15. Why is Mathilde unable to walk?
(a) She was painting and the easel fell on her.
(b) She was born unable to walk.
(c) A shell from the war hurt her.
(d) She fell off of a ladder when she was little.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Benjamin and Elodie meet?
2. Who does Mathilde go to visit in October of 1919?
3. Who does Sylvain go to visit?
4. What does Pierre-Marie try to convince Mathilde to do?
5. Who writes to Mathilde in January of 1920?
This section contains 476 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)