|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Mathilde gain information about Mariette's whereabouts?
(a) She talks to her young son, Baptistin.
(b) She goes back to visit Esperanza.
(c) She goes to visit her in Paris.
(d) She writes to the priest who married them.
2. What happened when Mathilde sent a letter to the wife of The Man?
(a) It was forwarded to Paris.
(b) It was returned saying she did not want to contact Mathilde.
(c) It was returned saying she was not at that address.
(d) It was never answered or responded to.
3. What did Little Louis learn about Biscuit?
(a) He also died in the war.
(b) He had fled to America.
(c) He married Vera.
(d) He lived in Paris.
4. What had the captain been before the war?
(b) History teacher.
(c) Prison guard.
5. What does Mathilde search for as she begins to try to prove Pierre-Marie wrong?
(a) A stamp.
(b) Manech's commanding officer.
(c) Military records.
(d) The trench named Bingo.
6. Why is Mathilde unable to walk?
(a) A shell from the war hurt her.
(b) She fell off of a ladder when she was little.
(c) She was born unable to walk.
(d) She was painting and the easel fell on her.
7. Which of the following characters was a private investigator who offered Mathilde his services?
(a) Oliver Bergetton.
(b) Germain Pire.
(c) Urbain Chardolot.
(d) Elodie Gordes.
8. Who does Six-Soux send his letter to?
(a) His wife.
(b) A business associate.
(c) A lover.
(d) A friend.
9. What did Little Louis believe the fight between Eskimo and Vera was about?
(a) Another woman.
(b) Eskimo's bad habits.
10. From what country is the author of this novel?
11. What did Esperanza allow the condemned men do as they ate?
(a) Escape from the trench and other soldiers.
(b) Use the telephone to call whomever they wished.
(c) Write a final letter to whomever they wished.
(d) Write out their last will and testimate.
12. Which character was an orphan and married an orphan?
(d) Common Law.
13. What was Little Louis glad to read about in Eskimo's letter?
(a) That Eskimo still remembered Little Louis.
(b) That Eskimo knew where Vera was.
(c) That Eskimo had money to give to Vera.
(d) That Eskimo and Biscuit had reconciled.
14. Why did Esperanza write Manech's letter?
(a) He was illiterate and unable to write.
(b) He refused to write one himself.
(c) He was in too much of a transe-like state to write.
(d) He was injured in the hand he wrote with.
15. How does Madam Conte say she is related to Valentina?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the men condemned to death did Esperanza indicate was wearing German boots?
2. What is the young French woman in this novel searching for?
3. Where does Mathilde go to meet Elodies Gordes?
4. What did Biscuit and Eskimo have in common?
5. What was Manech's nickname?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)