|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many men are being led to their deaths at the beginning of this novel?
2. What month is it as this chapter opens?
3. What does Pierre-Marie report happened to the condemned men?
(a) They were sentenced to hard labor.
(b) They were thrown above the trench.
(c) They were pardoned.
(d) They escaped.
4. How many many men were convicted of self-mutilation according to Pierre-Marie?
5. What had the captain been before the war?
(a) History teacher.
(c) Prison guard.
6. What did Biscuit and Eskimo have in common?
(a) They were both woodworkers.
(b) They both loved Vera.
(c) They both were condemned prisoners.
(d) They both loved to cook.
7. What wish does Captain Favourier speak of in his letter?
(a) The wish that he had ignored orders.
(b) The wish that he will be forgiven for what he did.
(c) The wish to get orders to collect the men.
(d) The wish Esperanza forget everything that was done.
8. How did Elodie feel about Benjamin's idea that she have an affair with Eskimo?
9. What is Louis Teyssier to Eskimo?
(a) A friend.
(b) A business associate.
(c) A relative.
(d) A lover.
10. Who was the only man not to answer to his name according to Captain Favourier's letter?
(c) Common Law.
11. What does Pierre-Marie try to convince Mathilde to do?
(a) Give up her investigation.
(b) Write to Manech's commanding officer.
(c) Travel to the trench and claim Manech's body.
(d) Search harder for Manech.
12. How does Madam Conte say she is related to Valentina?
13. Who does Angel write his letter to?
(a) His wife.
(b) His lover.
(c) His friend.
(d) His mother.
14. Why does Germain say he will find Poux for no extra cost?
(a) He wants to prove himself.
(b) He knwos where he is hiding.
(c) He loves Mathilde.
(d) He already was paid to find Poux.
15. What is Bastoche's nickname?
(b) Common Law.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Pierre-Marie investigate Esperanza's story?
2. What season is it as this novel opens?
3. Where did Mariette Notre-Dame go when she left for good leaving no forwarding address?
4. Which of the men condemned to death did Esperanza indicate was wearing German boots?
5. Which character was an orphan and married an orphan?
This section contains 389 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)