|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Mahogany Box.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was this novel written?
(a) During and after WWI.
(b) During and after WWII.
(c) Before WWI.
(d) During WWII.
2. Why does the smile make the other men uncomfortable?
(a) Because even as he yells, he smiles.
(b) Because it does not reach his eyes.
(c) Because they know he is being led to his death.
(d) Because it has an eerie look to it.
3. What did Mathilde learn from Valentia about Ange's death?
(a) That he was not dead.
(b) That it was somewhere near the Somme.
(c) That he made it to Paris and there he died.
(d) That it could not be confirmed at this point.
4. Which of the following is not one of the things Esperanza gives to Mathilde as she leaves?
(a) Copies of the condemned men's letters.
(b) The names of the recipients of the condemned men's letters.
(c) A group picture of the condemned men.
(d) The typed list of the condemned men.
5. What is the young French woman in this novel searching for?
(a) Her husband.
(b) Her father.
(c) Her brother.
(d) Her fiance.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who writes to Mathilde in January of 1920?
2. What is Daniel Esperanza dying from?
3. Where did Esperanza meet Manech?
4. Why did Mr. Leprince write to Mathilde?
5. Who was the only man not to answer to his name according to Captain Favourier's letter?
This section contains 291 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)