• The book opens in January in 1917 in the middle of World War I as five men are being led through a trench to their deaths.
• The first man is called Eskimo or Bastoche and was a carpenter before the war. He was trying to remove a gray hair and accidentally shot himself in the hand. He was convicted of self-mutilation.
• The second man was Six-Sioux. He was a welder and labor organizer. He tried to avoid having to go to war and shot himself in the hand to get out of the army.
• The third man was called Common Law. He and his wife were both orphans and have a son. He shot himself in his write hand, the hand he normally writes with.
• The fourth man was mean but called Angel. He was in prison and was offered the chance to join the war to...
This section contains 2,831 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)