|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Veronika want to have sex with Eduard?
2. Why does Eduard follow Veronika to the entrance of the woman's ward?
3. What was Mari's former profession?
4. How does Veronika feel after she has masturbated?
5. Which type of flower does the speaker tell his listeners to concentrate on?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Dr. Igor's opinion of his theories on Vitriol?
2. What happened to Mari's career after her panic attacks started?
3. Why does Veronika question her sexuality and whether she has had a true orgasm?
4. What is Mari's belief for why Veronika has been playing the piano more and more frequently?
5. Why does Veronika decide to masturbate in front of Eduard?
6. Why does Veronika wish for Zedka while she is masturbating?
7. Why does Veronika decide to not kiss Eduard even though she wants to?
8. Why were Eduard's parents happy when he started dating his first girlfriend?
9. Why does Veronika want to have sex with Eduard?
10. Why does Veronika enjoy playing the piano for Edward?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many of the characters in Veronika Decides to Die are struggling for some kind of acceptance. For some characters it is their parents they want to accept them. For others it is their spouses or their children. Write an essay that analyzes the struggles for acceptance Veronika, Eduard, Zedka, and Mari go through over the course of the story. Which characters are struggling to be accepted by their parents? Why do these characters feel that their parents do not understand them? Which characters struggle for acceptance from their family? How do they overcome the obstacles in Villete to come out victorious so that they may return home?
Essay Topic 2
Money means little to the members of The Fraternity. Eduard comes from a rich family, and yet he cares nothing for money either. Write an essay that explains why the characters of Veronika Decides to Die do not concern themselves with money or finance. Why do the members of The Fraternity look down upon money and finance? Why do they not like to concern themselves with it? Why does Eduard reject his lavish lifestyle growing up in favor of living the life of an artist? What do his parents think of his unwillingness to enjoy the amenities they have given him?
Essay Topic 3
Many of the residents of Villete suffer from some kind of mental illness. Paulo Coelho is sensitive when he touches upon the subject. He treats it with respect. Write an essay that explains how the story handles the issues associated with mental illness. Which characters in Veronika Decides to Die suffer from some type of mental illness? How did these characters come to Villete? What sort of treatment do they go through? Are they ever "cured" of their illness?
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)