|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Veronika take her clothes off?
2. Does Veronika feel ashamed for what she does in front of Eduard?
3. Why did Eduard ask for a bike in his flashback?
4. What does Mari ask Veronika in Chapter 15?
5. Why is Veronika surprised when she wakes up in Chapter 14?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Eduard hate living in Brazil while he was growing up?
2. Why is Veronika unable to accept the stimulants Dr. Igor offers?
3. Why does Zedka decide to finally leave Villete?
4. Why does Veronika want to have sex with Eduard?
5. What happened to prompt Mari's first panic attack?
6. Why does Veronika decide to masturbate in front of Eduard?
7. What does Veronika think of Igor's comment about her potential lifespan?
8. Why does Veronika tell Eduard she must not play for him?
9. Why did Mari refuse to go to the hospital when she first had a panic attack?
10. How does Dr. Igor react when Mari asks about Vitriol?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Money means little to the members of The Fraternity. Eduard comes from a rich family, and yet he cares nothing for money either. Write an essay that explains why the characters of Veronika Decides to Die do not concern themselves with money or finance. Why do the members of The Fraternity look down upon money and finance? Why do they not like to concern themselves with it? Why does Eduard reject his lavish lifestyle growing up in favor of living the life of an artist? What do his parents think of his unwillingness to enjoy the amenities they have given him?
Essay Topic 2
The doctors and nurses of Villete play a very important role in the plot of Veronika Decides to Die. However, none of these characters are given names other than Dr. Igor. Write an essay that explains why the author, Paulo Coelho, chose not to name the doctors and nurses of Villete. What are some of the responsibilities of the doctors and nurses? Do they ever object to the orders they are given? Are there times when they question the orders of their boss, Dr. Igor?
Essay Topic 3
Eduard and Veronika admit they love one another. When they escape Villete, the first thing they do is go out to dinner. Together they enjoy Veronika's last day alive by celebrating the little things in life. In the evening, they fall asleep in each others arms only to wake up in the morning with Veronika still alive. Write an essay that explores the future relationship of Eduard and Veronika. Are Eduard and Veronika likely to stay together? What will they most likely do now that they have discovered that Veronika will live longer? What information is given by the author to indicate that she will have a healthy life ahead of her?
This section contains 913 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)