|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to Eduard while he was riding to see his girlfriend in his flashback?
2. What was Eduard's favorite type of art?
3. What is Veronika's first favor?
4. How does Veronika react to finding out a third person is in the room?
5. Does Eduard understand the pleasure Veronika gets from masturbating in front of him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to prompt Mari's first panic attack?
2. Why does Veronika decide to not kiss Eduard even though she wants to?
3. Why does Zedka decide to finally leave Villete?
4. Why does Veronika tell Eduard she must not play for him?
5. What is Dr. Igor's opinion of his theories on Vitriol?
6. What is Mari's belief for why Veronika has been playing the piano more and more frequently?
7. Why are most deaths in Villete sudden?
8. Why does Veronika decide to not touch Eduard even though she wants to while she masturbates?
9. Why does Veronika want to have sex with Eduard?
10. Why does Veronika decide to masturbate in front of Eduard?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many of the characters in Veronika Decides to Die are struggling for some kind of acceptance. For some characters it is their parents they want to accept them. For others it is their spouses or their children. Write an essay that analyzes the struggles for acceptance Veronika, Eduard, Zedka, and Mari go through over the course of the story. Which characters are struggling to be accepted by their parents? Why do these characters feel that their parents do not understand them? Which characters struggle for acceptance from their family? How do they overcome the obstacles in Villete to come out victorious so that they may return home?
Essay Topic 2
Money means little to the members of The Fraternity. Eduard comes from a rich family, and yet he cares nothing for money either. Write an essay that explains why the characters of Veronika Decides to Die do not concern themselves with money or finance. Why do the members of The Fraternity look down upon money and finance? Why do they not like to concern themselves with it? Why does Eduard reject his lavish lifestyle growing up in favor of living the life of an artist? What do his parents think of his unwillingness to enjoy the amenities they have given him?
Essay Topic 3
Villete is the setting for much of the action that takes place in Veronika Decides to Die. It is only at the end that the characters branch out into the outside world. Write an essay that explores the history of Villete and why it is significant. When was it built? Who built it? What type of people are sent into Villete and why? Where does Villete get its funding from? Why is it often under government scrutiny?
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)