|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which type of flower does the speaker tell his listeners to concentrate on?
2. Who does Veronika run into in the refectory?
3. Why did Mari choose to admit herself to Villete even though she didn't need to?
4. What is Veronika's first favor?
5. Who does Veronika tell Igor he has become like?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Mari refuse to go to the hospital when she first had a panic attack?
2. How does Dr. Igor react when Mari asks about Vitriol?
3. What does Veronika think of Igor's comment about her potential lifespan?
4. How does Veronika feel after she has masturbated?
5. Why did Eduard hate living in Brazil while he was growing up?
6. What happened to prompt Mari's first panic attack?
7. Why does Veronika decide to masturbate in front of Eduard?
8. Why does Dr. Igor let Mari leave Villete?
9. Why is Veronika unable to accept the stimulants Dr. Igor offers?
10. Why does Veronika question her sexuality and whether she has had a true orgasm?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the beginning of Veronika Decides to Die, the protagonist, Veronika, decides that she does not love her mother. In fact, she hates her mother. But as Veronika undergoes her transformation, her opinions of her mother transform too. Write an essay that explains the role family plays within the context of the story. What does Veronika think of her family? Why does she hate her mother when she first comes to Villete? Why does her opinion of her mother change? What prompts this change?
Essay Topic 2
The Fraternity is seen as an antagonist to Veronika in the beginning of Veronika Decides to Die. However, over time things begin to change. Write an essay that explores Veronika's encounters with The Fraternity. Why are the members of The Fraternity unkind to Veronika when they first meet? How does Veronika become "accepted" by the members? What does she do to impress them? Why does Veronika attend the meditation session with Fraternity members?
Essay Topic 3
Friendship is a theme central to the characters in Veronika Decides to Die. Without friends, Veronika would have been alone during her time at Villete. Write an essay that explores the theme of friendship within the context of the story. Who are the protagonist's friends? How do they help her through her journey while at Villete? What do Veronika's friends think of her? Do they enjoy being around her? What does she mean to them?
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)