|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Veronika feel that she experienced the sexual pleasures of a virgin, prostitute, and queen?
2. Which character believes Villete is easily escaped?
3. Did Mari enter Villete voluntarily?
4. What did Veronika believe her true vocation to be?
5. Why did Eduard ask for a bike in his flashback?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Veronika decide to not kiss Eduard even though she wants to?
2. Why does Veronika change her mind about wanting to see her mother?
3. How does Dr. Igor react when Mari asks about Vitriol?
4. What is Dr. Igor's opinion of his theories on Vitriol?
5. Why were Eduard's parents happy when he started dating his first girlfriend?
6. What is Mari's belief for why Veronika has been playing the piano more and more frequently?
7. What happened to prompt Mari's first panic attack?
8. Why does Dr. Igor let Mari leave Villete?
9. Why does Veronika decide to masturbate in front of Eduard?
10. Why does Veronika decide to not touch Eduard even though she wants to while she masturbates?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Forbidden experiences are common to the characters in Veronika Decides to Die. Whether it be Zedka's forbidden affair or Mari's forbidden sexual experiences, the desire for the unknown is present. Write an essay that explains why the "forbidden" is so tempting to the characters in the story. What makes forbidden sexual experiences important to Mari and other members of The Fraternity? What made Zedka lust after her forbidden love even though she knew it may lead to her destruction?
Essay Topic 2
Eduard and Veronika admit they love one another. When they escape Villete, the first thing they do is go out to dinner. Together they enjoy Veronika's last day alive by celebrating the little things in life. In the evening, they fall asleep in each others arms only to wake up in the morning with Veronika still alive. Write an essay that explores the future relationship of Eduard and Veronika. Are Eduard and Veronika likely to stay together? What will they most likely do now that they have discovered that Veronika will live longer? What information is given by the author to indicate that she will have a healthy life ahead of her?
Essay Topic 3
Religion is a prevalent theme throughout Veronika Decides to Die. The Fraternity invites a guest speaker, the Sufi master, to lecture at Villete. Later on, Veronika and Eduard debate the meaning of the "Our Lady" painting. Write an essay that explores the role religion plays within the context of the story. What is Sufism and why is it important to the members of The Fraternity? Why do they invite the Sufi master as a guest speaker? How does this contrast to the later debate Veronika and Eduard have over the "Our Lady" painting? What does the painting mean to each of them? What would the characters of the story be like without religion?
This section contains 928 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)