|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Does Zedka survive her last treatment?
2. Who does Mari think Veronika should sleep with?
3. What happened to Mari's marriage.
4. Why did Eduard's mother begin to worry about him?
5. When Veronika looks into herself, does she like what she sees?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Veronika decide to masturbate in front of Eduard?
2. What happened to Mari's career after her panic attacks started?
3. What does Veronika think of Igor's comment about her potential lifespan?
4. Why does Veronika change her mind about wanting to see her mother?
5. Why does Veronika question her sexuality and whether she has had a true orgasm?
6. Why does Veronika decide to not touch Eduard even though she wants to while she masturbates?
7. What happened to prompt Mari's first panic attack?
8. What is Mari's belief for why Veronika has been playing the piano more and more frequently?
9. Why does Dr. Igor let Mari leave Villete?
10. In what way does Eduard look different after Veronika has masturbated?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Forbidden experiences are common to the characters in Veronika Decides to Die. Whether it be Zedka's forbidden affair or Mari's forbidden sexual experiences, the desire for the unknown is present. Write an essay that explains why the "forbidden" is so tempting to the characters in the story. What makes forbidden sexual experiences important to Mari and other members of The Fraternity? What made Zedka lust after her forbidden love even though she knew it may lead to her destruction?
Essay Topic 2
Many of the residents of Villete suffer from some kind of mental illness. Paulo Coelho is sensitive when he touches upon the subject. He treats it with respect. Write an essay that explains how the story handles the issues associated with mental illness. Which characters in Veronika Decides to Die suffer from some type of mental illness? How did these characters come to Villete? What sort of treatment do they go through? Are they ever "cured" of their illness?
Essay Topic 3
The most predominant symbol in Veronika Decides to die is the piano. It is the tool that the protagonist uses to enhance her life. It gives her a reason to live again. Write an essay that explains why the piano is important to the plot of the story. When does Veronika first encounter the piano? When does she play it the most? How does the piano comfort her and give her a sense of release? Which characters enjoy her playing the most? How does it makes them feel? Do the residents of Villete love Veronika more because of her playing?
This section contains 861 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)