|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Veronika believe her true vocation to be?
2. What date is on the photograph Veronika finds?
3. What was Mari's former profession?
4. What is another word for Vitriol?
5. Does Veronika agree with the speakers lesson?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Veronika think of Igor's comment about her potential lifespan?
2. What is Dr. Igor's opinion of his theories on Vitriol?
3. Why were Eduard's parents happy when he started dating his first girlfriend?
4. In what way does Eduard look different after Veronika has masturbated?
5. Why does Veronika tell Eduard she must not play for him?
6. Why does Veronika decide to not touch Eduard even though she wants to while she masturbates?
7. What is Mari's belief for why Veronika has been playing the piano more and more frequently?
8. What happened to prompt Mari's first panic attack?
9. Why does Veronika want to have sex with Eduard?
10. Why does Veronika decide to masturbate in front of Eduard?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Villete is the setting for much of the action that takes place in Veronika Decides to Die. It is only at the end that the characters branch out into the outside world. Write an essay that explores the history of Villete and why it is significant. When was it built? Who built it? What type of people are sent into Villete and why? Where does Villete get its funding from? Why is it often under government scrutiny?
Essay Topic 2
The supporting characters in Veronika Decides to Die all go through their own transformations. For each character it is different as they approach life in varying ways. Write an essay the explains the transformations Eduard, Zedka, and Mari go through. What happens to each of these characters? How do they change over the course of the story? How does Veronika impact their lives? Is it because of her that they transform and better themselves?
Essay Topic 3
Many of the characters in Veronika Decides to Die are struggling for some kind of acceptance. For some characters it is their parents they want to accept them. For others it is their spouses or their children. Write an essay that analyzes the struggles for acceptance Veronika, Eduard, Zedka, and Mari go through over the course of the story. Which characters are struggling to be accepted by their parents? Why do these characters feel that their parents do not understand them? Which characters struggle for acceptance from their family? How do they overcome the obstacles in Villete to come out victorious so that they may return home?
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)