|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Does Zedka survive her last treatment?
2. Did Eduard's parents support his art aspirations in his flashback?
3. What was Eduard's favorite type of art?
4. Why did Mari choose to admit herself to Villete even though she didn't need to?
5. Why did Eduard always refuse to bring his friends to dinner?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are most deaths in Villete sudden?
2. In what way does Eduard look different after Veronika has masturbated?
3. Why were Eduard's parents happy when he started dating his first girlfriend?
4. How does Dr. Igor react when Mari asks about Vitriol?
5. What is Mari's belief for why Veronika has been playing the piano more and more frequently?
6. How does Veronika feel after she has masturbated?
7. Why does Veronika tell Eduard she must not play for him?
8. What is Dr. Igor's opinion of his theories on Vitriol?
9. What does Veronika think of Igor's comment about her potential lifespan?
10. Why does Veronika decide to not touch Eduard even though she wants to while she masturbates?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Veronika spends much of her time in Villete wondering about her impending death. As each day goes by, she waits for the fateful moment when her heart will give in. Write an essay that explores the theme of death within the context of Veronika's character. How does the news of Veronika's limited lifespan effect her outlook on the world? How do her opinions of life change as her time on earth dwindles? What happens when she is faced with her last twenty four hours of life?
Essay Topic 2
The Fraternity is seen as an antagonist to Veronika in the beginning of Veronika Decides to Die. However, over time things begin to change. Write an essay that explores Veronika's encounters with The Fraternity. Why are the members of The Fraternity unkind to Veronika when they first meet? How does Veronika become "accepted" by the members? What does she do to impress them? Why does Veronika attend the meditation session with Fraternity members?
Essay Topic 3
Money means little to the members of The Fraternity. Eduard comes from a rich family, and yet he cares nothing for money either. Write an essay that explains why the characters of Veronika Decides to Die do not concern themselves with money or finance. Why do the members of The Fraternity look down upon money and finance? Why do they not like to concern themselves with it? Why does Eduard reject his lavish lifestyle growing up in favor of living the life of an artist? What do his parents think of his unwillingness to enjoy the amenities they have given him?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)