|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Veronika looks into herself, does she like what she sees?
2. Why does Mari not have the patience to explain herself to Veronika?
3. How long does Veronika have left to live in Chapter 20?
4. Does Eduard understand the pleasure Veronika gets from masturbating in front of him?
5. Why does Veronika take her clothes off?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Veronika enjoy playing the piano for Edward?
2. How does Veronika feel after she has masturbated?
3. Why does Veronika wish for Zedka while she is masturbating?
4. How does Dr. Igor react when Mari asks about Vitriol?
5. Why does Veronika decide to not touch Eduard even though she wants to while she masturbates?
6. What is Dr. Igor's opinion of his theories on Vitriol?
7. Why is Veronika unable to accept the stimulants Dr. Igor offers?
8. Why did Mari refuse to go to the hospital when she first had a panic attack?
9. What does Veronika think of Igor's comment about her potential lifespan?
10. Why does Veronika decide to not kiss Eduard even though she wants to?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The conclusion of Veronika Decides to Die leaves many questions for the reader. Paulo Coelho, the author, leaves the book open to many possibilities after the closing action of Chapter 29. Specifically, the last thing Dr. Igor does is to begin writing his report on Veronika's experiment. Write an essay that analyzes the falling action and conclusion to the story. What does Dr. Igor plan on doing after his report has been completed? Why does he neglect the security breach of Villete in favor of completing his writing? Are Eduard and Veronika likely to be forced back to Villete?
Essay Topic 2
Veronika blooms sexually throughout her stay at Villete. When she first arrives she is a woman who has slept with many men, but has not truly experienced the forbidden lusts. Write an essay that explores Veronika's sexuality in Veronika Decides to Die. How does she bloom sexually throughout the course of the story? What happens to her? Who prompts her to begin thinking about forbidden lusts?
Essay Topic 3
Eduard and Veronika admit they love one another. When they escape Villete, the first thing they do is go out to dinner. Together they enjoy Veronika's last day alive by celebrating the little things in life. In the evening, they fall asleep in each others arms only to wake up in the morning with Veronika still alive. Write an essay that explores the future relationship of Eduard and Veronika. Are Eduard and Veronika likely to stay together? What will they most likely do now that they have discovered that Veronika will live longer? What information is given by the author to indicate that she will have a healthy life ahead of her?
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)