|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Veronika feel about Eduard once she finds out he was mentally present when she masturbated?
2. What is Veronika's first favor?
3. Why did Mari choose to admit herself to Villete even though she didn't need to?
4. What does Mari wear while walking in the garden?
5. What was the name of Eduard's first girlfriend?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to prompt Mari's first panic attack?
2. What happened to Mari's career after her panic attacks started?
3. Why did Mari refuse to go to the hospital when she first had a panic attack?
4. How does Veronika feel when she listens to the Sufi flute music?
5. Why were Eduard's parents happy when he started dating his first girlfriend?
6. Why are most deaths in Villete sudden?
7. Why did Eduard hate living in Brazil while he was growing up?
8. Why does Veronika change her mind about wanting to see her mother?
9. Why does Veronika decide to masturbate in front of Eduard?
10. Why does Veronika tell Eduard she must not play for him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Suicide is a theme critical to the plot of Veronika Decides to Die. The protagonist, Veronika, early on in the story attempts suicide. Because of this she is sent to Villete. Write an essay that explores the topic of suicide as it is presented in the story. What role does suicide play in Veronika's life and her eventual transformation? How is Veronika treated differently than the other residents of Villete because of her attempt on her life?
Essay Topic 2
Many of the residents of Villete suffer from some kind of mental illness. Paulo Coelho is sensitive when he touches upon the subject. He treats it with respect. Write an essay that explains how the story handles the issues associated with mental illness. Which characters in Veronika Decides to Die suffer from some type of mental illness? How did these characters come to Villete? What sort of treatment do they go through? Are they ever "cured" of their illness?
Essay Topic 3
Dr. Igor is a character of morally ambiguous standards. His actions during the course of the story often contradict one another. Write an essay that explores the complexities of Dr. Igor. Is Dr. Igor a person of good or bad moral character? What are his opinions on experimentation? How important is for him to work on his thesis? Does he see the residents of Villete as people, or as test subjects? Does he ever feel bad about what he does to Veronika?
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)