|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mari tell Veronika to play for Eduard again?
2. What is Eduard's father's profession?
3. Did Mari's husband help her before she was sent to Villete?
4. Does Eduard love Veronika?
5. How many favors does Veronika ask for?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why were Eduard's parents happy when he started dating his first girlfriend?
2. What is Dr. Igor's opinion of his theories on Vitriol?
3. In what way does Eduard look different after Veronika has masturbated?
4. Why does Veronika want to have sex with Eduard?
5. Why does Veronika change her mind about wanting to see her mother?
6. What is Mari's belief for why Veronika has been playing the piano more and more frequently?
7. Why does Dr. Igor let Mari leave Villete?
8. Why does Veronika regret not living a little "crazier"?
9. Why does Veronika question her sexuality and whether she has had a true orgasm?
10. Why are most deaths in Villete sudden?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Religion is a prevalent theme throughout Veronika Decides to Die. The Fraternity invites a guest speaker, the Sufi master, to lecture at Villete. Later on, Veronika and Eduard debate the meaning of the "Our Lady" painting. Write an essay that explores the role religion plays within the context of the story. What is Sufism and why is it important to the members of The Fraternity? Why do they invite the Sufi master as a guest speaker? How does this contrast to the later debate Veronika and Eduard have over the "Our Lady" painting? What does the painting mean to each of them? What would the characters of the story be like without religion?
Essay Topic 2
Many of the characters in Veronika Decides to Die are struggling for some kind of acceptance. For some characters it is their parents they want to accept them. For others it is their spouses or their children. Write an essay that analyzes the struggles for acceptance Veronika, Eduard, Zedka, and Mari go through over the course of the story. Which characters are struggling to be accepted by their parents? Why do these characters feel that their parents do not understand them? Which characters struggle for acceptance from their family? How do they overcome the obstacles in Villete to come out victorious so that they may return home?
Essay Topic 3
Many of the residents of Villete suffer from some kind of mental illness. Paulo Coelho is sensitive when he touches upon the subject. He treats it with respect. Write an essay that explains how the story handles the issues associated with mental illness. Which characters in Veronika Decides to Die suffer from some type of mental illness? How did these characters come to Villete? What sort of treatment do they go through? Are they ever "cured" of their illness?
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)