|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many years of Mari's life were spent working?
2. How does Veronika feel after she has masturbated?
3. Why do the two male nurses drag Eduard from the library?
4. How many favors does Veronika ask for?
5. When Eduard was young, did he believe in God?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Dr. Igor react when Mari asks about Vitriol?
2. What does Veronika think of Igor's comment about her potential lifespan?
3. Why does Veronika regret not living a little "crazier"?
4. In what way does Eduard look different after Veronika has masturbated?
5. Why were Eduard's parents happy when he started dating his first girlfriend?
6. Why does Dr. Igor let Mari leave Villete?
7. Why does Veronika wish for Zedka while she is masturbating?
8. Why does Veronika want to have sex with Eduard?
9. What is Dr. Igor's opinion of his theories on Vitriol?
10. Why is Veronika unable to accept the stimulants Dr. Igor offers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Suicide is a theme critical to the plot of Veronika Decides to Die. The protagonist, Veronika, early on in the story attempts suicide. Because of this she is sent to Villete. Write an essay that explores the topic of suicide as it is presented in the story. What role does suicide play in Veronika's life and her eventual transformation? How is Veronika treated differently than the other residents of Villete because of her attempt on her life?
Essay Topic 2
The Fraternity is seen as an antagonist to Veronika in the beginning of Veronika Decides to Die. However, over time things begin to change. Write an essay that explores Veronika's encounters with The Fraternity. Why are the members of The Fraternity unkind to Veronika when they first meet? How does Veronika become "accepted" by the members? What does she do to impress them? Why does Veronika attend the meditation session with Fraternity members?
Essay Topic 3
Friendship is a theme central to the characters in Veronika Decides to Die. Without friends, Veronika would have been alone during her time at Villete. Write an essay that explores the theme of friendship within the context of the story. Who are the protagonist's friends? How do they help her through her journey while at Villete? What do Veronika's friends think of her? Do they enjoy being around her? What does she mean to them?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)