|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Does Eduard love Veronika?
2. How long does Veronika have left to live in Chapter 20?
3. Why did Mari choose to admit herself to Villete even though she didn't need to?
4. What was the name of Eduard's first girlfriend?
5. Which type of flower does the speaker tell his listeners to concentrate on?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Zedka decide to finally leave Villete?
2. How does Veronika feel when she listens to the Sufi flute music?
3. Why does Veronika question her sexuality and whether she has had a true orgasm?
4. Why does Veronika decide to masturbate in front of Eduard?
5. Why does Veronika decide to not kiss Eduard even though she wants to?
6. In what way does Eduard look different after Veronika has masturbated?
7. How does Veronika feel after she has masturbated?
8. What does Veronika think of Igor's comment about her potential lifespan?
9. What happened to prompt Mari's first panic attack?
10. How does Dr. Igor react when Mari asks about Vitriol?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Veronika spends much of her time in Villete wondering about her impending death. As each day goes by, she waits for the fateful moment when her heart will give in. Write an essay that explores the theme of death within the context of Veronika's character. How does the news of Veronika's limited lifespan effect her outlook on the world? How do her opinions of life change as her time on earth dwindles? What happens when she is faced with her last twenty four hours of life?
Essay Topic 2
The doctors and nurses of Villete play a very important role in the plot of Veronika Decides to Die. However, none of these characters are given names other than Dr. Igor. Write an essay that explains why the author, Paulo Coelho, chose not to name the doctors and nurses of Villete. What are some of the responsibilities of the doctors and nurses? Do they ever object to the orders they are given? Are there times when they question the orders of their boss, Dr. Igor?
Essay Topic 3
Dr. Igor is a character of morally ambiguous standards. His actions during the course of the story often contradict one another. Write an essay that explores the complexities of Dr. Igor. Is Dr. Igor a person of good or bad moral character? What are his opinions on experimentation? How important is for him to work on his thesis? Does he see the residents of Villete as people, or as test subjects? Does he ever feel bad about what he does to Veronika?
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)