|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of Eduard's first girlfriend?
2. Which two prohibitions does Mari speak of?
3. Which piece of clothing does Dr. Igor use as an example in his lunatic analogy?
4. What is Veronika's first favor?
5. Who does Veronika not want getting used to her playing music?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Veronika think of Igor's comment about her potential lifespan?
2. How does Veronika feel when she listens to the Sufi flute music?
3. Why are most deaths in Villete sudden?
4. Why does Veronika wish for Zedka while she is masturbating?
5. What is Mari's belief for why Veronika has been playing the piano more and more frequently?
6. Why does Veronika decide to not touch Eduard even though she wants to while she masturbates?
7. How does Veronika feel after she has masturbated?
8. Why does Veronika decide to not kiss Eduard even though she wants to?
9. Why does Veronika want to have sex with Eduard?
10. Why does Dr. Igor let Mari leave Villete?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many of the characters in Veronika Decides to Die are struggling for some kind of acceptance. For some characters it is their parents they want to accept them. For others it is their spouses or their children. Write an essay that analyzes the struggles for acceptance Veronika, Eduard, Zedka, and Mari go through over the course of the story. Which characters are struggling to be accepted by their parents? Why do these characters feel that their parents do not understand them? Which characters struggle for acceptance from their family? How do they overcome the obstacles in Villete to come out victorious so that they may return home?
Essay Topic 2
The Fraternity is seen as an antagonist to Veronika in the beginning of Veronika Decides to Die. However, over time things begin to change. Write an essay that explores Veronika's encounters with The Fraternity. Why are the members of The Fraternity unkind to Veronika when they first meet? How does Veronika become "accepted" by the members? What does she do to impress them? Why does Veronika attend the meditation session with Fraternity members?
Essay Topic 3
The most predominant symbol in Veronika Decides to die is the piano. It is the tool that the protagonist uses to enhance her life. It gives her a reason to live again. Write an essay that explains why the piano is important to the plot of the story. When does Veronika first encounter the piano? When does she play it the most? How does the piano comfort her and give her a sense of release? Which characters enjoy her playing the most? How does it makes them feel? Do the residents of Villete love Veronika more because of her playing?
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)