|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Veronika not want getting used to her playing music?
2. Which character believes Villete is easily escaped?
3. Who does Veronika run into in the refectory?
4. Why does Veronika want to have sex with Eduard?
5. Who demands that members of The Fraternity go outside Villete each day?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Veronika feel after she has masturbated?
2. What happened to prompt Mari's first panic attack?
3. Why is Veronika unable to accept the stimulants Dr. Igor offers?
4. Why does Veronika wish for Zedka while she is masturbating?
5. Why were Eduard's parents happy when he started dating his first girlfriend?
6. What does Veronika think of Igor's comment about her potential lifespan?
7. Why does Dr. Igor let Mari leave Villete?
8. Why does Zedka decide to finally leave Villete?
9. Why did Eduard hate living in Brazil while he was growing up?
10. Why does Veronika change her mind about wanting to see her mother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Villete is the setting for much of the action that takes place in Veronika Decides to Die. It is only at the end that the characters branch out into the outside world. Write an essay that explores the history of Villete and why it is significant. When was it built? Who built it? What type of people are sent into Villete and why? Where does Villete get its funding from? Why is it often under government scrutiny?
Essay Topic 2
The doctors and nurses of Villete play a very important role in the plot of Veronika Decides to Die. However, none of these characters are given names other than Dr. Igor. Write an essay that explains why the author, Paulo Coelho, chose not to name the doctors and nurses of Villete. What are some of the responsibilities of the doctors and nurses? Do they ever object to the orders they are given? Are there times when they question the orders of their boss, Dr. Igor?
Essay Topic 3
Suicide is a theme critical to the plot of Veronika Decides to Die. The protagonist, Veronika, early on in the story attempts suicide. Because of this she is sent to Villete. Write an essay that explores the topic of suicide as it is presented in the story. What role does suicide play in Veronika's life and her eventual transformation? How is Veronika treated differently than the other residents of Villete because of her attempt on her life?
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)