|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Mari lie to Dr. Igor about her condition so she would have to stay in Villete indefinitely?
2. How does Veronika react to finding out a third person is in the room?
3. Who is the third person in the room with Eduard and Veronika?
4. Did The Fraternity approve of Veronika slapping their leader?
5. When Veronika looks into herself, does she like what she sees?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Veronika unable to accept the stimulants Dr. Igor offers?
2. Why does Veronika regret not living a little "crazier"?
3. Why does Veronika question her sexuality and whether she has had a true orgasm?
4. How does Veronika feel after she has masturbated?
5. Why does Veronika decide to not touch Eduard even though she wants to while she masturbates?
6. Why did Mari refuse to go to the hospital when she first had a panic attack?
7. Why does Veronika enjoy playing the piano for Edward?
8. What happened to Mari's career after her panic attacks started?
9. Why does Veronika decide to masturbate in front of Eduard?
10. Why does Veronika want to have sex with Eduard?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Forbidden experiences are common to the characters in Veronika Decides to Die. Whether it be Zedka's forbidden affair or Mari's forbidden sexual experiences, the desire for the unknown is present. Write an essay that explains why the "forbidden" is so tempting to the characters in the story. What makes forbidden sexual experiences important to Mari and other members of The Fraternity? What made Zedka lust after her forbidden love even though she knew it may lead to her destruction?
Essay Topic 2
In the beginning of Veronika Decides to Die, the protagonist, Veronika, decides that she does not love her mother. In fact, she hates her mother. But as Veronika undergoes her transformation, her opinions of her mother transform too. Write an essay that explains the role family plays within the context of the story. What does Veronika think of her family? Why does she hate her mother when she first comes to Villete? Why does her opinion of her mother change? What prompts this change?
Essay Topic 3
Veronika blooms sexually throughout her stay at Villete. When she first arrives she is a woman who has slept with many men, but has not truly experienced the forbidden lusts. Write an essay that explores Veronika's sexuality in Veronika Decides to Die. How does she bloom sexually throughout the course of the story? What happens to her? Who prompts her to begin thinking about forbidden lusts?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)