|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mari wear while walking in the garden?
2. Who does Veronika not want getting used to her playing music?
3. Did Mari's husband help her before she was sent to Villete?
4. Does Eduard understand the pleasure Veronika gets from masturbating in front of him?
5. Why did Eduard ask for a bike in his flashback?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way does Eduard look different after Veronika has masturbated?
2. What is Mari's belief for why Veronika has been playing the piano more and more frequently?
3. Why did Eduard hate living in Brazil while he was growing up?
4. Why does Veronika enjoy playing the piano for Edward?
5. Why does Veronika question her sexuality and whether she has had a true orgasm?
6. What does Veronika think of Igor's comment about her potential lifespan?
7. Why are most deaths in Villete sudden?
8. Why did Mari refuse to go to the hospital when she first had a panic attack?
9. How does Veronika feel after she has masturbated?
10. Why does Veronika decide to masturbate in front of Eduard?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Love is expressed in many different ways throughout the course of the story. Veronika falls in love with Eduard but only after she realizes that he is the only one in Villete who can truly appreciate her art. Write an essay that explores the theme of love within the context of the story. Does Veronika believe in love when she first is admitted into Villete? How does her opinion of love change over the course of Veronika Decides to Die? Why is she hesitant to love Eduard when she first meets him? What is she afraid of? How does that opinion change?
Essay Topic 2
Villete is the setting for much of the action that takes place in Veronika Decides to Die. It is only at the end that the characters branch out into the outside world. Write an essay that explores the history of Villete and why it is significant. When was it built? Who built it? What type of people are sent into Villete and why? Where does Villete get its funding from? Why is it often under government scrutiny?
Essay Topic 3
The Fraternity is seen as an antagonist to Veronika in the beginning of Veronika Decides to Die. However, over time things begin to change. Write an essay that explores Veronika's encounters with The Fraternity. Why are the members of The Fraternity unkind to Veronika when they first meet? How does Veronika become "accepted" by the members? What does she do to impress them? Why does Veronika attend the meditation session with Fraternity members?
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)