|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Veronika remember at the end of Chapter 19?
2. Does Eduard love Veronika?
3. Who does Veronika run into in the refectory?
4. What happened to Eduard while he was riding to see his girlfriend in his flashback?
5. Why does Mari tell Veronika to play for Eduard again?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to prompt Mari's first panic attack?
2. Why were Eduard's parents happy when he started dating his first girlfriend?
3. In what way does Eduard look different after Veronika has masturbated?
4. Why does Veronika decide to masturbate in front of Eduard?
5. Why does Veronika decide to not touch Eduard even though she wants to while she masturbates?
6. Why does Dr. Igor let Mari leave Villete?
7. Why does Veronika tell Eduard she must not play for him?
8. Why does Veronika decide to not kiss Eduard even though she wants to?
9. Why does Veronika regret not living a little "crazier"?
10. Why does Veronika question her sexuality and whether she has had a true orgasm?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Suicide is a theme critical to the plot of Veronika Decides to Die. The protagonist, Veronika, early on in the story attempts suicide. Because of this she is sent to Villete. Write an essay that explores the topic of suicide as it is presented in the story. What role does suicide play in Veronika's life and her eventual transformation? How is Veronika treated differently than the other residents of Villete because of her attempt on her life?
Essay Topic 2
The conclusion of Veronika Decides to Die leaves many questions for the reader. Paulo Coelho, the author, leaves the book open to many possibilities after the closing action of Chapter 29. Specifically, the last thing Dr. Igor does is to begin writing his report on Veronika's experiment. Write an essay that analyzes the falling action and conclusion to the story. What does Dr. Igor plan on doing after his report has been completed? Why does he neglect the security breach of Villete in favor of completing his writing? Are Eduard and Veronika likely to be forced back to Villete?
Essay Topic 3
Love is expressed in many different ways throughout the course of the story. Veronika falls in love with Eduard but only after she realizes that he is the only one in Villete who can truly appreciate her art. Write an essay that explores the theme of love within the context of the story. Does Veronika believe in love when she first is admitted into Villete? How does her opinion of love change over the course of Veronika Decides to Die? Why is she hesitant to love Eduard when she first meets him? What is she afraid of? How does that opinion change?
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)