|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character does Chapter 16 focus on?
2. Why does Veronika take her clothes off?
3. What did Veronika believe her true vocation to be?
4. What happened to Mari's marriage.
5. How does Veronika react to finding out a third person is in the room?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Veronika question her sexuality and whether she has had a true orgasm?
2. Why does Veronika want to have sex with Eduard?
3. Why were Eduard's parents happy when he started dating his first girlfriend?
4. Why does Veronika enjoy playing the piano for Edward?
5. Why does Veronika change her mind about wanting to see her mother?
6. What is Dr. Igor's opinion of his theories on Vitriol?
7. What happened to prompt Mari's first panic attack?
8. Why does Veronika wish for Zedka while she is masturbating?
9. Why does Veronika regret not living a little "crazier"?
10. Why did Mari refuse to go to the hospital when she first had a panic attack?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many of the characters in Veronika Decides to Die are struggling for some kind of acceptance. For some characters it is their parents they want to accept them. For others it is their spouses or their children. Write an essay that analyzes the struggles for acceptance Veronika, Eduard, Zedka, and Mari go through over the course of the story. Which characters are struggling to be accepted by their parents? Why do these characters feel that their parents do not understand them? Which characters struggle for acceptance from their family? How do they overcome the obstacles in Villete to come out victorious so that they may return home?
Essay Topic 2
The supporting characters in Veronika Decides to Die all go through their own transformations. For each character it is different as they approach life in varying ways. Write an essay the explains the transformations Eduard, Zedka, and Mari go through. What happens to each of these characters? How do they change over the course of the story? How does Veronika impact their lives? Is it because of her that they transform and better themselves?
Essay Topic 3
The doctors and nurses of Villete play a very important role in the plot of Veronika Decides to Die. However, none of these characters are given names other than Dr. Igor. Write an essay that explains why the author, Paulo Coelho, chose not to name the doctors and nurses of Villete. What are some of the responsibilities of the doctors and nurses? Do they ever object to the orders they are given? Are there times when they question the orders of their boss, Dr. Igor?
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)