|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Eduard's father's profession?
2. How many favors does Veronika ask for?
3. What kind of poison does Dr. Igor suspect Veronika to be suffering from?
4. Why does Veronika feel she needs to reward Eduard?
5. How does Veronika feel about Eduard once she finds out he was mentally present when she masturbated?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Dr. Igor react when Mari asks about Vitriol?
2. Why are most deaths in Villete sudden?
3. Why does Veronika decide to masturbate in front of Eduard?
4. How does Veronika feel when she listens to the Sufi flute music?
5. Why does Veronika decide to not touch Eduard even though she wants to while she masturbates?
6. Why does Veronika enjoy playing the piano for Edward?
7. Why does Veronika change her mind about wanting to see her mother?
8. Why does Veronika tell Eduard she must not play for him?
9. In what way does Eduard look different after Veronika has masturbated?
10. What happened to prompt Mari's first panic attack?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Villete is the setting for much of the action that takes place in Veronika Decides to Die. It is only at the end that the characters branch out into the outside world. Write an essay that explores the history of Villete and why it is significant. When was it built? Who built it? What type of people are sent into Villete and why? Where does Villete get its funding from? Why is it often under government scrutiny?
Essay Topic 2
Friendship is a theme central to the characters in Veronika Decides to Die. Without friends, Veronika would have been alone during her time at Villete. Write an essay that explores the theme of friendship within the context of the story. Who are the protagonist's friends? How do they help her through her journey while at Villete? What do Veronika's friends think of her? Do they enjoy being around her? What does she mean to them?
Essay Topic 3
The doctors and nurses of Villete play a very important role in the plot of Veronika Decides to Die. However, none of these characters are given names other than Dr. Igor. Write an essay that explains why the author, Paulo Coelho, chose not to name the doctors and nurses of Villete. What are some of the responsibilities of the doctors and nurses? Do they ever object to the orders they are given? Are there times when they question the orders of their boss, Dr. Igor?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)