|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Dr. Igor, everyone wants to wake part in what?
2. Which instrument does the speaker in Chapter 15 play?
3. Why did Eduard's mother begin to worry about him?
4. Did Mari's husband help her before she was sent to Villete?
5. Why is Mari in Villete?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Veronika change her mind about wanting to see her mother?
2. Why is Veronika unable to accept the stimulants Dr. Igor offers?
3. Why are most deaths in Villete sudden?
4. Why did Mari refuse to go to the hospital when she first had a panic attack?
5. Why does Veronika enjoy playing the piano for Edward?
6. Why does Veronika decide to not touch Eduard even though she wants to while she masturbates?
7. In what way does Eduard look different after Veronika has masturbated?
8. What is Mari's belief for why Veronika has been playing the piano more and more frequently?
9. How does Veronika feel when she listens to the Sufi flute music?
10. Why were Eduard's parents happy when he started dating his first girlfriend?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The doctors and nurses of Villete play a very important role in the plot of Veronika Decides to Die. However, none of these characters are given names other than Dr. Igor. Write an essay that explains why the author, Paulo Coelho, chose not to name the doctors and nurses of Villete. What are some of the responsibilities of the doctors and nurses? Do they ever object to the orders they are given? Are there times when they question the orders of their boss, Dr. Igor?
Essay Topic 2
Many of the residents of Villete suffer from some kind of mental illness. Paulo Coelho is sensitive when he touches upon the subject. He treats it with respect. Write an essay that explains how the story handles the issues associated with mental illness. Which characters in Veronika Decides to Die suffer from some type of mental illness? How did these characters come to Villete? What sort of treatment do they go through? Are they ever "cured" of their illness?
Essay Topic 3
Suicide is a theme critical to the plot of Veronika Decides to Die. The protagonist, Veronika, early on in the story attempts suicide. Because of this she is sent to Villete. Write an essay that explores the topic of suicide as it is presented in the story. What role does suicide play in Veronika's life and her eventual transformation? How is Veronika treated differently than the other residents of Villete because of her attempt on her life?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)