|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Does Eduard understand the pleasure Veronika gets from masturbating in front of him?
2. What was Mari's former profession?
3. Who does Mari think Veronika should sleep with?
4. What date is on the photograph Veronika finds?
5. Why did Eduard always refuse to bring his friends to dinner?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Veronika wish for Zedka while she is masturbating?
2. What is Dr. Igor's opinion of his theories on Vitriol?
3. In what way does Eduard look different after Veronika has masturbated?
4. How does Veronika feel after she has masturbated?
5. How does Dr. Igor react when Mari asks about Vitriol?
6. Why are most deaths in Villete sudden?
7. Why were Eduard's parents happy when he started dating his first girlfriend?
8. Why does Veronika enjoy playing the piano for Edward?
9. How does Veronika feel when she listens to the Sufi flute music?
10. What happened to Mari's career after her panic attacks started?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many of the residents of Villete suffer from some kind of mental illness. Paulo Coelho is sensitive when he touches upon the subject. He treats it with respect. Write an essay that explains how the story handles the issues associated with mental illness. Which characters in Veronika Decides to Die suffer from some type of mental illness? How did these characters come to Villete? What sort of treatment do they go through? Are they ever "cured" of their illness?
Essay Topic 2
Love is expressed in many different ways throughout the course of the story. Veronika falls in love with Eduard but only after she realizes that he is the only one in Villete who can truly appreciate her art. Write an essay that explores the theme of love within the context of the story. Does Veronika believe in love when she first is admitted into Villete? How does her opinion of love change over the course of Veronika Decides to Die? Why is she hesitant to love Eduard when she first meets him? What is she afraid of? How does that opinion change?
Essay Topic 3
Friendship is a theme central to the characters in Veronika Decides to Die. Without friends, Veronika would have been alone during her time at Villete. Write an essay that explores the theme of friendship within the context of the story. Who are the protagonist's friends? How do they help her through her journey while at Villete? What do Veronika's friends think of her? Do they enjoy being around her? What does she mean to them?
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)