|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Veronika decide to not leave the asylum alive?
2. Who is Eduard's father?
3. How many times was Paulo submitted to a mental hospital?
4. What does Zedka invite Veronika to do?
5. Which name did Paulo Coelho consider switching Veronika's name with?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Veronika begin to feel afraid about dying?
2. What are some of the last things Veronika sees and hears before she falls unconscious?
3. Why does Veronika choose to overdose on sleeping pills instead of killing herself with other methods?
4. Why does Veronika fear the future?
5. What does Zedka experience during her treatments?
6. Why did Paulo make two promises to himself after he was let out of the mental institution?
7. Why does Veronika become angry with the computer game article?
8. Why does Veronika smack the leader of The Fraternity?
9. What does Zedka's treatment consist of?
10. What does Veronika think of breakfast at Villete?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many of the residents of Villete suffer from some kind of mental illness. Paulo Coelho is sensitive when he touches upon the subject. He treats it with respect. Write an essay that explains how the story handles the issues associated with mental illness. Which characters in Veronika Decides to Die suffer from some type of mental illness? How did these characters come to Villete? What sort of treatment do they go through? Are they ever "cured" of their illness?
Essay Topic 2
Money means little to the members of The Fraternity. Eduard comes from a rich family, and yet he cares nothing for money either. Write an essay that explains why the characters of Veronika Decides to Die do not concern themselves with money or finance. Why do the members of The Fraternity look down upon money and finance? Why do they not like to concern themselves with it? Why does Eduard reject his lavish lifestyle growing up in favor of living the life of an artist? What do his parents think of his unwillingness to enjoy the amenities they have given him?
Essay Topic 3
The conclusion of Veronika Decides to Die leaves many questions for the reader. Paulo Coelho, the author, leaves the book open to many possibilities after the closing action of Chapter 29. Specifically, the last thing Dr. Igor does is to begin writing his report on Veronika's experiment. Write an essay that analyzes the falling action and conclusion to the story. What does Dr. Igor plan on doing after his report has been completed? Why does he neglect the security breach of Villete in favor of completing his writing? Are Eduard and Veronika likely to be forced back to Villete?
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)