|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Dr. Igor, making love in inappropriate places breeds what?
2. What happens to Zedka in Chapter 8?
3. Which country does Veronika live in?
4. Which of the following does Veronika not believe in?
5. Why does Paulo feel he can relate to Veronika?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the last things Veronika sees and hears before she falls unconscious?
2. Describe the two doctors who give Veronika her diagnosis.
3. Why did Paulo make two promises to himself after he was let out of the mental institution?
4. Why does Veronika choose to overdose on sleeping pills instead of killing herself with other methods?
5. Describe Veronika's personality.
6. What does Veronika think of breakfast at Villete?
7. Why does Dr. Igor become annoyed at Veronika's mother when he is lecturing her?
8. How does playing the piano make Veronika feel?
9. Why does Veronika refuse to see her mother?
10. Why do the residents laugh at Veronika after her heart attack?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Eduard and Veronika admit they love one another. When they escape Villete, the first thing they do is go out to dinner. Together they enjoy Veronika's last day alive by celebrating the little things in life. In the evening, they fall asleep in each others arms only to wake up in the morning with Veronika still alive. Write an essay that explores the future relationship of Eduard and Veronika. Are Eduard and Veronika likely to stay together? What will they most likely do now that they have discovered that Veronika will live longer? What information is given by the author to indicate that she will have a healthy life ahead of her?
Essay Topic 2
Friendship is a theme central to the characters in Veronika Decides to Die. Without friends, Veronika would have been alone during her time at Villete. Write an essay that explores the theme of friendship within the context of the story. Who are the protagonist's friends? How do they help her through her journey while at Villete? What do Veronika's friends think of her? Do they enjoy being around her? What does she mean to them?
Essay Topic 3
The conclusion of Veronika Decides to Die leaves many questions for the reader. Paulo Coelho, the author, leaves the book open to many possibilities after the closing action of Chapter 29. Specifically, the last thing Dr. Igor does is to begin writing his report on Veronika's experiment. Write an essay that analyzes the falling action and conclusion to the story. What does Dr. Igor plan on doing after his report has been completed? Why does he neglect the security breach of Villete in favor of completing his writing? Are Eduard and Veronika likely to be forced back to Villete?
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)