Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Veronika become very angry in Chapter 13?
2. What was the name of Paulo's doctor when he was at the mental hospital?
3. Which country does Veronika live in?
4. Who laughs at Veronika in Chapter 13?
5. Why could Zedka never be with her love?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Veronika react whens he learns that she has a week to live?
2. Why were Eduard's parents happy when he started dating his first girlfriend?
3. How does Veronika feel after she has masturbated?
4. Why does Veronika change her mind about wanting to see her mother?
5. What does Veronika experience during her first heart attack?
6. What does Zedka experience during her treatments?
7. Why does Veronika smack the leader of The Fraternity?
8. What is Mari's belief for why Veronika has been playing the piano more and more frequently?
9. Why does Veronika decide to not touch Eduard even though she wants to while she masturbates?
10. Why do the residents laugh at Veronika after her heart attack?
Essay Topic 1
Eduard and Veronika admit they love one another. When they escape Villete, the first thing they do is go out to dinner. Together they enjoy Veronika's last day alive by celebrating the little things in life. In the evening, they fall asleep in each others arms only to wake up in the morning with Veronika still alive. Write an essay that explores the future relationship of Eduard and Veronika. Are Eduard and Veronika likely to stay together? What will they most likely do now that they have discovered that Veronika will live longer? What information is given by the author to indicate that she will have a healthy life ahead of her?
Essay Topic 2
The conclusion of Veronika Decides to Die leaves many questions for the reader. Paulo Coelho, the author, leaves the book open to many possibilities after the closing action of Chapter 29. Specifically, the last thing Dr. Igor does is to begin writing his report on Veronika's experiment. Write an essay that analyzes the falling action and conclusion to the story. What does Dr. Igor plan on doing after his report has been completed? Why does he neglect the security breach of Villete in favor of completing his writing? Are Eduard and Veronika likely to be forced back to Villete?
Essay Topic 3
Money means little to the members of The Fraternity. Eduard comes from a rich family, and yet he cares nothing for money either. Write an essay that explains why the characters of Veronika Decides to Die do not concern themselves with money or finance. Why do the members of The Fraternity look down upon money and finance? Why do they not like to concern themselves with it? Why does Eduard reject his lavish lifestyle growing up in favor of living the life of an artist? What do his parents think of his unwillingness to enjoy the amenities they have given him?
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)