|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Veronika attempt suicide?
2. What type of disposition does Veronika have?
3. What is Villete?
4. Where does Veronika live?
5. What happens after Veronika's health scare?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Zedka experience during her treatments?
2. Does Paulo Coelho sympathize with Veronika's situation?
3. What does Zedka's treatment consist of?
4. How does Veronika react whens he learns that she has a week to live?
5. Why does Veronika refuse to see her mother?
6. Describe Veronika's personality.
7. Why does Veronika begin to cry after her first heart attack?
8. Why is Veronika treated unkindly by The Fraternity members when they first meet?
9. Why does Zedka tell Veronika the story about the king and his subjects?
10. What is The Fraternity and what do they believe in?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Forbidden experiences are common to the characters in Veronika Decides to Die. Whether it be Zedka's forbidden affair or Mari's forbidden sexual experiences, the desire for the unknown is present. Write an essay that explains why the "forbidden" is so tempting to the characters in the story. What makes forbidden sexual experiences important to Mari and other members of The Fraternity? What made Zedka lust after her forbidden love even though she knew it may lead to her destruction?
Essay Topic 2
Music is very important to Veronika. As the story progresses, she begins to transform because of it. She realizes that through music she can see life in a whole different light. Write an essay that explains how music helps Veronika transform and become a better person. Which emotions does she experience as she plays her music? How does she feel when she plays for the moon, the plants, and the beauty of nature? How does her opinion of the world change when she looks at it through melody and song?
Essay Topic 3
Villete is the setting for much of the action that takes place in Veronika Decides to Die. It is only at the end that the characters branch out into the outside world. Write an essay that explores the history of Villete and why it is significant. When was it built? Who built it? What type of people are sent into Villete and why? Where does Villete get its funding from? Why is it often under government scrutiny?
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)