|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which country does Veronika live in?
2. Who is Mari?
3. What was Paulo's first promise to himself?
4. Which character is the focus in Chapter 9?
5. Why does Paulo's father live off of frozen food?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Paulo Coelho put into a mental hospital as a child?
2. Why does Veronika fear the future?
3. What is wrong with Veronika's heart?
4. Why does Veronika choose to overdose on sleeping pills instead of killing herself with other methods?
5. How does playing the piano make Veronika feel?
6. Why did Paulo make two promises to himself after he was let out of the mental institution?
7. Describe Veronika's personality.
8. Why do the residents laugh at Veronika after her heart attack?
9. Describe the two doctors who give Veronika her diagnosis.
10. Why does Veronika refuse to see her mother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The most predominant symbol in Veronika Decides to die is the piano. It is the tool that the protagonist uses to enhance her life. It gives her a reason to live again. Write an essay that explains why the piano is important to the plot of the story. When does Veronika first encounter the piano? When does she play it the most? How does the piano comfort her and give her a sense of release? Which characters enjoy her playing the most? How does it makes them feel? Do the residents of Villete love Veronika more because of her playing?
Essay Topic 2
The doctors and nurses of Villete play a very important role in the plot of Veronika Decides to Die. However, none of these characters are given names other than Dr. Igor. Write an essay that explains why the author, Paulo Coelho, chose not to name the doctors and nurses of Villete. What are some of the responsibilities of the doctors and nurses? Do they ever object to the orders they are given? Are there times when they question the orders of their boss, Dr. Igor?
Essay Topic 3
Villete is the setting for much of the action that takes place in Veronika Decides to Die. It is only at the end that the characters branch out into the outside world. Write an essay that explores the history of Villete and why it is significant. When was it built? Who built it? What type of people are sent into Villete and why? Where does Villete get its funding from? Why is it often under government scrutiny?
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)