|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which instrument does Veronika long to play?
2. Who does Veronika see pass by her window?
3. Does Zedka agree to help Veronika?
4. Who thought Solvenia was a town in Germany?
5. What happened to Zedka's love?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Zedka experience during her treatments?
2. Why is Veronika treated unkindly by The Fraternity members when they first meet?
3. What are some of the last things Veronika sees and hears before she falls unconscious?
4. Does Paulo Coelho sympathize with Veronika's situation?
5. Describe Veronika's personality.
6. Describe Paulo Coelho's father.
7. Why does Veronika begin to cry after her first heart attack?
8. What does Veronika think of breakfast at Villete?
9. Why does Veronika become angry with the computer game article?
10. Why does Dr. Igor become annoyed at Veronika's mother when he is lecturing her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Eduard and Veronika admit they love one another. When they escape Villete, the first thing they do is go out to dinner. Together they enjoy Veronika's last day alive by celebrating the little things in life. In the evening, they fall asleep in each others arms only to wake up in the morning with Veronika still alive. Write an essay that explores the future relationship of Eduard and Veronika. Are Eduard and Veronika likely to stay together? What will they most likely do now that they have discovered that Veronika will live longer? What information is given by the author to indicate that she will have a healthy life ahead of her?
Essay Topic 2
Many of the residents of Villete suffer from some kind of mental illness. Paulo Coelho is sensitive when he touches upon the subject. He treats it with respect. Write an essay that explains how the story handles the issues associated with mental illness. Which characters in Veronika Decides to Die suffer from some type of mental illness? How did these characters come to Villete? What sort of treatment do they go through? Are they ever "cured" of their illness?
Essay Topic 3
Veronika spends much of her time in Villete wondering about her impending death. As each day goes by, she waits for the fateful moment when her heart will give in. Write an essay that explores the theme of death within the context of Veronika's character. How does the news of Veronika's limited lifespan effect her outlook on the world? How do her opinions of life change as her time on earth dwindles? What happens when she is faced with her last twenty four hours of life?
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)