|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does Veronika not believe in?
2. Where does Veronika go after her fist encounter with The Fraternity?
3. Does Zedka agree to help Veronika?
4. How does Paulo feel about Veronika's suicide note?
5. Who watches over Veronika as she sleeps?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Paulo Coelho put into a mental hospital as a child?
2. Does Paulo Coelho sympathize with Veronika's situation?
3. Why does Dr. Igor become annoyed at Veronika's mother when he is lecturing her?
4. Why does Veronika refuse to see her mother?
5. Why does Veronika fear the future?
6. Why does Veronika begin to feel afraid about dying?
7. How does playing the piano make Veronika feel?
8. Where does the world "asylum" come form?
9. Why does Veronika become angry with the computer game article?
10. What are some of the last things Veronika sees and hears before she falls unconscious?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Religion is a prevalent theme throughout Veronika Decides to Die. The Fraternity invites a guest speaker, the Sufi master, to lecture at Villete. Later on, Veronika and Eduard debate the meaning of the "Our Lady" painting. Write an essay that explores the role religion plays within the context of the story. What is Sufism and why is it important to the members of The Fraternity? Why do they invite the Sufi master as a guest speaker? How does this contrast to the later debate Veronika and Eduard have over the "Our Lady" painting? What does the painting mean to each of them? What would the characters of the story be like without religion?
Essay Topic 2
Veronika blooms sexually throughout her stay at Villete. When she first arrives she is a woman who has slept with many men, but has not truly experienced the forbidden lusts. Write an essay that explores Veronika's sexuality in Veronika Decides to Die. How does she bloom sexually throughout the course of the story? What happens to her? Who prompts her to begin thinking about forbidden lusts?
Essay Topic 3
The doctors and nurses of Villete play a very important role in the plot of Veronika Decides to Die. However, none of these characters are given names other than Dr. Igor. Write an essay that explains why the author, Paulo Coelho, chose not to name the doctors and nurses of Villete. What are some of the responsibilities of the doctors and nurses? Do they ever object to the orders they are given? Are there times when they question the orders of their boss, Dr. Igor?
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)