|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long has Veronika been living on her own?
2. Which instrument does Veronika long to play?
3. Why does Paulo's father live off of frozen food?
4. What is wrong with Eduard?
5. What does Veronika read while she waits for the pills to take effect?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Zedka's treatment consist of?
2. Why does Zedka tell Veronika the story about the king and his subjects?
3. Why does Veronika become angry with the computer game article?
4. Describe Paulo Coelho's father.
5. Why did Paulo make two promises to himself after he was let out of the mental institution?
6. Why do the residents laugh at Veronika after her heart attack?
7. How does playing the piano make Veronika feel?
8. Why was Paulo Coelho put into a mental hospital as a child?
9. Describe Veronika's personality.
10. Why does Veronika refuse to see her mother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Money means little to the members of The Fraternity. Eduard comes from a rich family, and yet he cares nothing for money either. Write an essay that explains why the characters of Veronika Decides to Die do not concern themselves with money or finance. Why do the members of The Fraternity look down upon money and finance? Why do they not like to concern themselves with it? Why does Eduard reject his lavish lifestyle growing up in favor of living the life of an artist? What do his parents think of his unwillingness to enjoy the amenities they have given him?
Essay Topic 2
Many of the residents of Villete suffer from some kind of mental illness. Paulo Coelho is sensitive when he touches upon the subject. He treats it with respect. Write an essay that explains how the story handles the issues associated with mental illness. Which characters in Veronika Decides to Die suffer from some type of mental illness? How did these characters come to Villete? What sort of treatment do they go through? Are they ever "cured" of their illness?
Essay Topic 3
Friendship is a theme central to the characters in Veronika Decides to Die. Without friends, Veronika would have been alone during her time at Villete. Write an essay that explores the theme of friendship within the context of the story. Who are the protagonist's friends? How do they help her through her journey while at Villete? What do Veronika's friends think of her? Do they enjoy being around her? What does she mean to them?
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)