|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Zedka invite Veronika to do?
2. According to Dr. Igor, where should one make love?
3. How many times was Paulo submitted to a mental hospital?
4. Is Veronika beautiful?
5. Where does Veronika live?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is wrong with Veronika's heart?
2. Does Paulo Coelho sympathize with Veronika's situation?
3. Why does Veronika begin to feel afraid about dying?
4. Why was Paulo Coelho put into a mental hospital as a child?
5. Why does Veronika choose to overdose on sleeping pills instead of killing herself with other methods?
6. Describe Paulo Coelho's father.
7. What is Veronika's first reaction to waking up in Villete?
8. Why does Veronika refuse to see her mother?
9. Why does Veronika smack the leader of The Fraternity?
10. Why is Veronika treated unkindly by The Fraternity members when they first meet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Friendship is a theme central to the characters in Veronika Decides to Die. Without friends, Veronika would have been alone during her time at Villete. Write an essay that explores the theme of friendship within the context of the story. Who are the protagonist's friends? How do they help her through her journey while at Villete? What do Veronika's friends think of her? Do they enjoy being around her? What does she mean to them?
Essay Topic 2
Music is very important to Veronika. As the story progresses, she begins to transform because of it. She realizes that through music she can see life in a whole different light. Write an essay that explains how music helps Veronika transform and become a better person. Which emotions does she experience as she plays her music? How does she feel when she plays for the moon, the plants, and the beauty of nature? How does her opinion of the world change when she looks at it through melody and song?
Essay Topic 3
Eduard and Veronika admit they love one another. When they escape Villete, the first thing they do is go out to dinner. Together they enjoy Veronika's last day alive by celebrating the little things in life. In the evening, they fall asleep in each others arms only to wake up in the morning with Veronika still alive. Write an essay that explores the future relationship of Eduard and Veronika. Are Eduard and Veronika likely to stay together? What will they most likely do now that they have discovered that Veronika will live longer? What information is given by the author to indicate that she will have a healthy life ahead of her?
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)