|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Veronika refuse to see outside visitors?
2. What does Veronika ask of Zedka?
3. What was Paulo's first promise to himself?
4. What bad thing happens to Veronika in Chapter 13?
5. What is wrong with Veronika?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Paulo make two promises to himself after he was let out of the mental institution?
2. Why does Veronika become angry with the computer game article?
3. Why does Veronika begin to feel afraid about dying?
4. What does Veronika think of breakfast at Villete?
5. Why does Veronika imagine what her whole life could be?
6. Where does the world "asylum" come form?
7. What are some of the last things Veronika sees and hears before she falls unconscious?
8. Why does Veronika begin to cry after her first heart attack?
9. Why does Zedka tell Veronika the story about the king and his subjects?
10. What does Zedka experience during her treatments?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Religion is a prevalent theme throughout Veronika Decides to Die. The Fraternity invites a guest speaker, the Sufi master, to lecture at Villete. Later on, Veronika and Eduard debate the meaning of the "Our Lady" painting. Write an essay that explores the role religion plays within the context of the story. What is Sufism and why is it important to the members of The Fraternity? Why do they invite the Sufi master as a guest speaker? How does this contrast to the later debate Veronika and Eduard have over the "Our Lady" painting? What does the painting mean to each of them? What would the characters of the story be like without religion?
Essay Topic 2
The doctors and nurses of Villete play a very important role in the plot of Veronika Decides to Die. However, none of these characters are given names other than Dr. Igor. Write an essay that explains why the author, Paulo Coelho, chose not to name the doctors and nurses of Villete. What are some of the responsibilities of the doctors and nurses? Do they ever object to the orders they are given? Are there times when they question the orders of their boss, Dr. Igor?
Essay Topic 3
The Fraternity is seen as an antagonist to Veronika in the beginning of Veronika Decides to Die. However, over time things begin to change. Write an essay that explores Veronika's encounters with The Fraternity. Why are the members of The Fraternity unkind to Veronika when they first meet? How does Veronika become "accepted" by the members? What does she do to impress them? Why does Veronika attend the meditation session with Fraternity members?
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)