|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Paulo's father live off of frozen food?
2. Who watches over Veronika as she sleeps?
3. Why does Veronika refuse to see outside visitors?
4. How does Veronika feel after interacting with The Fraternity for the first time?
5. Why is Zedka depressed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Veronika become angry with the computer game article?
2. Why is Veronika treated unkindly by The Fraternity members when they first meet?
3. How does playing the piano make Veronika feel?
4. Why did Paulo make two promises to himself after he was let out of the mental institution?
5. Describe Paulo Coelho's father.
6. Why was Paulo Coelho put into a mental hospital as a child?
7. What are some of the last things Veronika sees and hears before she falls unconscious?
8. Why does Paulo consider changing Veronika's name for his retelling of the story?
9. What does Zedka experience during her treatments?
10. Why does Dr. Igor become annoyed at Veronika's mother when he is lecturing her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The conclusion of Veronika Decides to Die leaves many questions for the reader. Paulo Coelho, the author, leaves the book open to many possibilities after the closing action of Chapter 29. Specifically, the last thing Dr. Igor does is to begin writing his report on Veronika's experiment. Write an essay that analyzes the falling action and conclusion to the story. What does Dr. Igor plan on doing after his report has been completed? Why does he neglect the security breach of Villete in favor of completing his writing? Are Eduard and Veronika likely to be forced back to Villete?
Essay Topic 2
Forbidden experiences are common to the characters in Veronika Decides to Die. Whether it be Zedka's forbidden affair or Mari's forbidden sexual experiences, the desire for the unknown is present. Write an essay that explains why the "forbidden" is so tempting to the characters in the story. What makes forbidden sexual experiences important to Mari and other members of The Fraternity? What made Zedka lust after her forbidden love even though she knew it may lead to her destruction?
Essay Topic 3
The doctors and nurses of Villete play a very important role in the plot of Veronika Decides to Die. However, none of these characters are given names other than Dr. Igor. Write an essay that explains why the author, Paulo Coelho, chose not to name the doctors and nurses of Villete. What are some of the responsibilities of the doctors and nurses? Do they ever object to the orders they are given? Are there times when they question the orders of their boss, Dr. Igor?
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)