Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Veronika become very angry in Chapter 13?
2. What was the name of Paulo's doctor when he was at the mental hospital?
3. Which country does Veronika live in?
4. Who laughs at Veronika in Chapter 13?
5. Why could Zedka never be with her love?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Veronika react whens he learns that she has a week to live?
2. Why were Eduard's parents happy when he started dating his first girlfriend?
3. How does Veronika feel after she has masturbated?
4. Why does Veronika change her mind about wanting to see her mother?
5. What does Veronika experience during her first heart attack?
6. What does Zedka experience during her treatments?
7. Why does Veronika smack the leader of The Fraternity?
8. What is Mari's belief for why Veronika has been playing the piano more and more frequently?
9. Why does Veronika decide to not touch Eduard even though she wants to while she masturbates?
10. Why do the residents laugh at Veronika after her heart attack?
Forbidden experiences are common to the characters in Veronika Decides to Die. Whether it be Zedka's forbidden affair or Mari's forbidden sexual experiences, the desire for the unknown is present. Write an essay that explains why the "forbidden" is so tempting to the characters in the story. What makes forbidden sexual experiences important to Mari and other members of The Fraternity? What made Zedka lust after her forbidden love even though she knew it may lead to her destruction?
The most predominant symbol in Veronika Decides to die is the piano. It is the tool that the protagonist uses to enhance her life. It gives her a reason to live again. Write an essay that explains why the piano is important to the plot of the story. When does Veronika first encounter the piano? When does she play it the most? How does the piano comfort her and give her a sense of release? Which characters enjoy her playing the most? How does it makes them feel? Do the residents of Villete love Veronika more because of her playing?
Veronika blooms sexually throughout her stay at Villete. When she first arrives she is a woman who has slept with many men, but has not truly experienced the forbidden lusts. Write an essay that explores Veronika's sexuality in Veronika Decides to Die. How does she bloom sexually throughout the course of the story? What happens to her? Who prompts her to begin thinking about forbidden lusts?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)