|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens after Veronika's health scare?
2. What year was Paulo first sent into a mental hospital?
3. Which city does Veronika live in?
4. Which perspective does the novel change to at the beginning of Chapter 3?
5. What color eyes does the nurse have?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Veronika imagine what her whole life could be?
2. What is wrong with Veronika's heart?
3. What does Zedka's treatment consist of?
4. What does Veronika experience during her first heart attack?
5. Describe Veronika's personality.
6. Why does Veronika choose to overdose on sleeping pills instead of killing herself with other methods?
7. Why does Veronika fear the future?
8. Why does Paulo consider changing Veronika's name for his retelling of the story?
9. What is The Fraternity and what do they believe in?
10. What does Zedka experience during her treatments?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Forbidden experiences are common to the characters in Veronika Decides to Die. Whether it be Zedka's forbidden affair or Mari's forbidden sexual experiences, the desire for the unknown is present. Write an essay that explains why the "forbidden" is so tempting to the characters in the story. What makes forbidden sexual experiences important to Mari and other members of The Fraternity? What made Zedka lust after her forbidden love even though she knew it may lead to her destruction?
Essay Topic 2
Music is very important to Veronika. As the story progresses, she begins to transform because of it. She realizes that through music she can see life in a whole different light. Write an essay that explains how music helps Veronika transform and become a better person. Which emotions does she experience as she plays her music? How does she feel when she plays for the moon, the plants, and the beauty of nature? How does her opinion of the world change when she looks at it through melody and song?
Essay Topic 3
In the beginning of Veronika Decides to Die, the protagonist, Veronika, decides that she does not love her mother. In fact, she hates her mother. But as Veronika undergoes her transformation, her opinions of her mother transform too. Write an essay that explains the role family plays within the context of the story. What does Veronika think of her family? Why does she hate her mother when she first comes to Villete? Why does her opinion of her mother change? What prompts this change?
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)