|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who submitted Paulo into the mental hospital when he was young?
2. Where is Paulo Coelho from?
3. Which character is the focus in Chapter 9?
4. What is wrong with Veronika?
5. Who is Eduard's father?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is wrong with Veronika's heart?
2. Describe Veronika's personality.
3. Why does Paulo consider changing Veronika's name for his retelling of the story?
4. Why does Veronika fear the future?
5. Why does Veronika begin to feel afraid about dying?
6. Why was Paulo Coelho put into a mental hospital as a child?
7. Why does Dr. Igor become annoyed at Veronika's mother when he is lecturing her?
8. Describe Paulo Coelho's father.
9. Why does Veronika choose to overdose on sleeping pills instead of killing herself with other methods?
10. Why did Paulo make two promises to himself after he was let out of the mental institution?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The supporting characters in Veronika Decides to Die all go through their own transformations. For each character it is different as they approach life in varying ways. Write an essay the explains the transformations Eduard, Zedka, and Mari go through. What happens to each of these characters? How do they change over the course of the story? How does Veronika impact their lives? Is it because of her that they transform and better themselves?
Essay Topic 2
Money means little to the members of The Fraternity. Eduard comes from a rich family, and yet he cares nothing for money either. Write an essay that explains why the characters of Veronika Decides to Die do not concern themselves with money or finance. Why do the members of The Fraternity look down upon money and finance? Why do they not like to concern themselves with it? Why does Eduard reject his lavish lifestyle growing up in favor of living the life of an artist? What do his parents think of his unwillingness to enjoy the amenities they have given him?
Essay Topic 3
The Fraternity is seen as an antagonist to Veronika in the beginning of Veronika Decides to Die. However, over time things begin to change. Write an essay that explores Veronika's encounters with The Fraternity. Why are the members of The Fraternity unkind to Veronika when they first meet? How does Veronika become "accepted" by the members? What does she do to impress them? Why does Veronika attend the meditation session with Fraternity members?
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)