|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is wrong with Paulo's father?
2. Where does Veronika go after her fist encounter with The Fraternity?
3. Why does Veronika attempt suicide?
4. Who submitted Paulo into the mental hospital when he was young?
5. How does Veronika react when she sees Zedka's treatment?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the two doctors who give Veronika her diagnosis.
2. Describe Veronika's personality.
3. Why does Veronika fear the future?
4. Where does the world "asylum" come form?
5. Why does Paulo consider changing Veronika's name for his retelling of the story?
6. Does Paulo Coelho sympathize with Veronika's situation?
7. Why do the residents laugh at Veronika after her heart attack?
8. How does Veronika react whens he learns that she has a week to live?
9. Why did Paulo make two promises to himself after he was let out of the mental institution?
10. What does Zedka experience during her treatments?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The most predominant symbol in Veronika Decides to die is the piano. It is the tool that the protagonist uses to enhance her life. It gives her a reason to live again. Write an essay that explains why the piano is important to the plot of the story. When does Veronika first encounter the piano? When does she play it the most? How does the piano comfort her and give her a sense of release? Which characters enjoy her playing the most? How does it makes them feel? Do the residents of Villete love Veronika more because of her playing?
Essay Topic 2
Suicide is a theme critical to the plot of Veronika Decides to Die. The protagonist, Veronika, early on in the story attempts suicide. Because of this she is sent to Villete. Write an essay that explores the topic of suicide as it is presented in the story. What role does suicide play in Veronika's life and her eventual transformation? How is Veronika treated differently than the other residents of Villete because of her attempt on her life?
Essay Topic 3
The supporting characters in Veronika Decides to Die all go through their own transformations. For each character it is different as they approach life in varying ways. Write an essay the explains the transformations Eduard, Zedka, and Mari go through. What happens to each of these characters? How do they change over the course of the story? How does Veronika impact their lives? Is it because of her that they transform and better themselves?
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)