|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Veronika become very angry in Chapter 13?
2. What type of travel does Zedka experience in Chapter 9?
3. What is wrong with Paulo's father?
4. Who thought Solvenia was a town in Germany?
5. How does Veronika react to the news of her inevitable death?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Veronika begin to cry after her first heart attack?
2. How does playing the piano make Veronika feel?
3. Why does Zedka tell Veronika the story about the king and his subjects?
4. Why was Paulo Coelho put into a mental hospital as a child?
5. What does Veronika think of breakfast at Villete?
6. Why does Veronika refuse to see her mother?
7. Describe Paulo Coelho's father.
8. Why does Veronika become angry with the computer game article?
9. What does Veronika experience during her first heart attack?
10. What are some of the last things Veronika sees and hears before she falls unconscious?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Love is expressed in many different ways throughout the course of the story. Veronika falls in love with Eduard but only after she realizes that he is the only one in Villete who can truly appreciate her art. Write an essay that explores the theme of love within the context of the story. Does Veronika believe in love when she first is admitted into Villete? How does her opinion of love change over the course of Veronika Decides to Die? Why is she hesitant to love Eduard when she first meets him? What is she afraid of? How does that opinion change?
Essay Topic 2
Dr. Igor is a character of morally ambiguous standards. His actions during the course of the story often contradict one another. Write an essay that explores the complexities of Dr. Igor. Is Dr. Igor a person of good or bad moral character? What are his opinions on experimentation? How important is for him to work on his thesis? Does he see the residents of Villete as people, or as test subjects? Does he ever feel bad about what he does to Veronika?
Essay Topic 3
Friendship is a theme central to the characters in Veronika Decides to Die. Without friends, Veronika would have been alone during her time at Villete. Write an essay that explores the theme of friendship within the context of the story. Who are the protagonist's friends? How do they help her through her journey while at Villete? What do Veronika's friends think of her? Do they enjoy being around her? What does she mean to them?
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)