|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What bad thing happens to Veronika in Chapter 13?
2. Why is Veronika unable to remember much?
3. How old is Eduard?
4. How old is Veronika?
5. Who placed a potion in the well in Zedka's story?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Zedka experience during her treatments?
2. Why does Veronika decide to not kiss Eduard even though she wants to?
3. Why does Veronika regret not living a little "crazier"?
4. Why were Eduard's parents happy when he started dating his first girlfriend?
5. Why does Veronika begin to cry after her first heart attack?
6. Why does Veronika wish for Zedka while she is masturbating?
7. Why is the "Our Lady" painting important to Eduard and Veronika?
8. Why do some of the residents of Villete weep when they notice Veronika is missing?
9. Why does Veronika fear the future?
10. Why did Eduard hate living in Brazil while he was growing up?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Veronika blooms sexually throughout her stay at Villete. When she first arrives she is a woman who has slept with many men, but has not truly experienced the forbidden lusts. Write an essay that explores Veronika's sexuality in Veronika Decides to Die. How does she bloom sexually throughout the course of the story? What happens to her? Who prompts her to begin thinking about forbidden lusts?
Essay Topic 2
Suicide is a theme critical to the plot of Veronika Decides to Die. The protagonist, Veronika, early on in the story attempts suicide. Because of this she is sent to Villete. Write an essay that explores the topic of suicide as it is presented in the story. What role does suicide play in Veronika's life and her eventual transformation? How is Veronika treated differently than the other residents of Villete because of her attempt on her life?
Essay Topic 3
The Fraternity is seen as an antagonist to Veronika in the beginning of Veronika Decides to Die. However, over time things begin to change. Write an essay that explores Veronika's encounters with The Fraternity. Why are the members of The Fraternity unkind to Veronika when they first meet? How does Veronika become "accepted" by the members? What does she do to impress them? Why does Veronika attend the meditation session with Fraternity members?
This section contains 2,338 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)