|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of Paulo's doctor when he was at the mental hospital?
2. Who is Eduard's father?
3. What does Zedka invite Veronika to do?
4. What is wrong with Zedka?
5. According to Dr. Igor, where should one make love?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Veronika wish for Zedka while she is masturbating?
2. Why is Veronika treated unkindly by The Fraternity members when they first meet?
3. What is Veronika's first reaction to waking up in Villete?
4. Why does Veronika fear the future?
5. Describe Veronika's personality.
6. Why does Veronika smack the leader of The Fraternity?
7. What happened to Mari's career after her panic attacks started?
8. What does Veronika think of Igor's comment about her potential lifespan?
9. What does Veronika think of breakfast at Villete?
10. Why are most deaths in Villete sudden?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dr. Igor is a character of morally ambiguous standards. His actions during the course of the story often contradict one another. Write an essay that explores the complexities of Dr. Igor. Is Dr. Igor a person of good or bad moral character? What are his opinions on experimentation? How important is for him to work on his thesis? Does he see the residents of Villete as people, or as test subjects? Does he ever feel bad about what he does to Veronika?
Essay Topic 2
Many of the residents of Villete suffer from some kind of mental illness. Paulo Coelho is sensitive when he touches upon the subject. He treats it with respect. Write an essay that explains how the story handles the issues associated with mental illness. Which characters in Veronika Decides to Die suffer from some type of mental illness? How did these characters come to Villete? What sort of treatment do they go through? Are they ever "cured" of their illness?
Essay Topic 3
The supporting characters in Veronika Decides to Die all go through their own transformations. For each character it is different as they approach life in varying ways. Write an essay the explains the transformations Eduard, Zedka, and Mari go through. What happens to each of these characters? How do they change over the course of the story? How does Veronika impact their lives? Is it because of her that they transform and better themselves?
This section contains 2,346 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)