|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Statistics Canada, what percentage of Canadians ages 15 to 34 have a mental illness?
2. Why is Zedka depressed?
3. Which name did Paulo Coelho consider switching Veronika's name with?
4. Where does Veronika go after her fist encounter with The Fraternity?
5. How does the nurse react to finding Veronika and Zedka talking?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does the world "asylum" come form?
2. Why was Paulo Coelho put into a mental hospital as a child?
3. Why does Veronika begin to cry after her first heart attack?
4. Why does Dr. Igor become annoyed at Veronika's mother when he is lecturing her?
5. Why does Veronika choose to overdose on sleeping pills instead of killing herself with other methods?
6. How does playing the piano make Veronika feel?
7. Describe Veronika's personality.
8. Why does Veronika imagine what her whole life could be?
9. How does Veronika react whens he learns that she has a week to live?
10. What does Veronika think of breakfast at Villete?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Money means little to the members of The Fraternity. Eduard comes from a rich family, and yet he cares nothing for money either. Write an essay that explains why the characters of Veronika Decides to Die do not concern themselves with money or finance. Why do the members of The Fraternity look down upon money and finance? Why do they not like to concern themselves with it? Why does Eduard reject his lavish lifestyle growing up in favor of living the life of an artist? What do his parents think of his unwillingness to enjoy the amenities they have given him?
Essay Topic 2
The Fraternity is seen as an antagonist to Veronika in the beginning of Veronika Decides to Die. However, over time things begin to change. Write an essay that explores Veronika's encounters with The Fraternity. Why are the members of The Fraternity unkind to Veronika when they first meet? How does Veronika become "accepted" by the members? What does she do to impress them? Why does Veronika attend the meditation session with Fraternity members?
Essay Topic 3
Many of the characters in Veronika Decides to Die are struggling for some kind of acceptance. For some characters it is their parents they want to accept them. For others it is their spouses or their children. Write an essay that analyzes the struggles for acceptance Veronika, Eduard, Zedka, and Mari go through over the course of the story. Which characters are struggling to be accepted by their parents? Why do these characters feel that their parents do not understand them? Which characters struggle for acceptance from their family? How do they overcome the obstacles in Villete to come out victorious so that they may return home?
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)