Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What year did Paulo's mother die?
2. Why could Zedka never be with her love?
3. What does Veronika read while she waits for the pills to take effect?
4. Which perspective does the novel change to at the beginning of Chapter 3?
5. What bad thing happens to Veronika in Chapter 13?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Veronika feel when she listens to the Sufi flute music?
2. Why is the "Our Lady" painting important to Eduard and Veronika?
3. How does Dr. Igor react when Mari asks about Vitriol?
4. What does Veronika experience during her first heart attack?
5. Why does Veronika tell Eduard she must not play for him?
6. Why did Dr. Igor use Veronika for his Vitriol experiment without telling her?
7. Why were Eduard's parents happy when he started dating his first girlfriend?
8. Why did Eduard hate living in Brazil while he was growing up?
9. Why does Veronika decide to masturbate in front of Eduard?
10. Why does Veronika question her sexuality and whether she has had a true orgasm?
Money means little to the members of The Fraternity. Eduard comes from a rich family, and yet he cares nothing for money either. Write an essay that explains why the characters of Veronika Decides to Die do not concern themselves with money or finance. Why do the members of The Fraternity look down upon money and finance? Why do they not like to concern themselves with it? Why does Eduard reject his lavish lifestyle growing up in favor of living the life of an artist? What do his parents think of his unwillingness to enjoy the amenities they have given him?
In the beginning of Veronika Decides to Die, the protagonist, Veronika, decides that she does not love her mother. In fact, she hates her mother. But as Veronika undergoes her transformation, her opinions of her mother transform too. Write an essay that explains the role family plays within the context of the story. What does Veronika think of her family? Why does she hate her mother when she first comes to Villete? Why does her opinion of her mother change? What prompts this change?
Music is very important to Veronika. As the story progresses, she begins to transform because of it. She realizes that through music she can see life in a whole different light. Write an essay that explains how music helps Veronika transform and become a better person. Which emotions does she experience as she plays her music? How does she feel when she plays for the moon, the plants, and the beauty of nature? How does her opinion of the world change when she looks at it through melody and song?
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)