|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who placed a potion in the well in Zedka's story?
2. Which perspective does the novel change to at the beginning of Chapter 3?
3. What does Veronika ask of Zedka?
4. What happened to Zedka's love?
5. Why does Veronika write a letter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Veronika begin to feel afraid about dying?
2. Why was Paulo Coelho put into a mental hospital as a child?
3. How does Veronika react whens he learns that she has a week to live?
4. What are some of the last things Veronika sees and hears before she falls unconscious?
5. Why does Veronika smack the leader of The Fraternity?
6. Why does Veronika choose to overdose on sleeping pills instead of killing herself with other methods?
7. What is Veronika's first reaction to waking up in Villete?
8. What does Veronika experience during her first heart attack?
9. Why does Veronika become angry with the computer game article?
10. Why do the residents laugh at Veronika after her heart attack?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Music is very important to Veronika. As the story progresses, she begins to transform because of it. She realizes that through music she can see life in a whole different light. Write an essay that explains how music helps Veronika transform and become a better person. Which emotions does she experience as she plays her music? How does she feel when she plays for the moon, the plants, and the beauty of nature? How does her opinion of the world change when she looks at it through melody and song?
Essay Topic 2
Dr. Igor is a character of morally ambiguous standards. His actions during the course of the story often contradict one another. Write an essay that explores the complexities of Dr. Igor. Is Dr. Igor a person of good or bad moral character? What are his opinions on experimentation? How important is for him to work on his thesis? Does he see the residents of Villete as people, or as test subjects? Does he ever feel bad about what he does to Veronika?
Essay Topic 3
Money means little to the members of The Fraternity. Eduard comes from a rich family, and yet he cares nothing for money either. Write an essay that explains why the characters of Veronika Decides to Die do not concern themselves with money or finance. Why do the members of The Fraternity look down upon money and finance? Why do they not like to concern themselves with it? Why does Eduard reject his lavish lifestyle growing up in favor of living the life of an artist? What do his parents think of his unwillingness to enjoy the amenities they have given him?
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)