|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Paulo's father?
2. What is wrong with Eduard?
3. What color eyes does the nurse have?
4. Why does Veronika become very angry in Chapter 13?
5. What bad thing happens to Veronika in Chapter 13?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the residents laugh at Veronika after her heart attack?
2. What does Veronika think of Igor's comment about her potential lifespan?
3. Why does Veronika regret not living a little "crazier"?
4. What does Veronika think of breakfast at Villete?
5. Why does Veronika change her mind about wanting to see her mother?
6. Why do members of The Fraternity look down upon Mari's departure from Villete?
7. Why does Paulo consider changing Veronika's name for his retelling of the story?
8. What is wrong with Veronika's heart?
9. What happened to Mari's career after her panic attacks started?
10. Why does Dr. Igor let Mari leave Villete?
Essay Topic 1
Suicide is a theme critical to the plot of Veronika Decides to Die. The protagonist, Veronika, early on in the story attempts suicide. Because of this she is sent to Villete. Write an essay that explores the topic of suicide as it is presented in the story. What role does suicide play in Veronika's life and her eventual transformation? How is Veronika treated differently than the other residents of Villete because of her attempt on her life?
Essay Topic 2
Religion is a prevalent theme throughout Veronika Decides to Die. The Fraternity invites a guest speaker, the Sufi master, to lecture at Villete. Later on, Veronika and Eduard debate the meaning of the "Our Lady" painting. Write an essay that explores the role religion plays within the context of the story. What is Sufism and why is it important to the members of The Fraternity? Why do they invite the Sufi master as a guest speaker? How does this contrast to the later debate Veronika and Eduard have over the "Our Lady" painting? What does the painting mean to each of them? What would the characters of the story be like without religion?
Essay Topic 3
The most predominant symbol in Veronika Decides to die is the piano. It is the tool that the protagonist uses to enhance her life. It gives her a reason to live again. Write an essay that explains why the piano is important to the plot of the story. When does Veronika first encounter the piano? When does she play it the most? How does the piano comfort her and give her a sense of release? Which characters enjoy her playing the most? How does it makes them feel? Do the residents of Villete love Veronika more because of her playing?
This section contains 2,314 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)