|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Veronika become very angry in Chapter 13?
2. What was the name of Paulo's doctor when he was at the mental hospital?
3. Which country does Veronika live in?
4. Who laughs at Veronika in Chapter 13?
5. Why could Zedka never be with her love?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Veronika react whens he learns that she has a week to live?
2. Why were Eduard's parents happy when he started dating his first girlfriend?
3. How does Veronika feel after she has masturbated?
4. Why does Veronika change her mind about wanting to see her mother?
5. What does Veronika experience during her first heart attack?
6. What does Zedka experience during her treatments?
7. Why does Veronika smack the leader of The Fraternity?
8. What is Mari's belief for why Veronika has been playing the piano more and more frequently?
9. Why does Veronika decide to not touch Eduard even though she wants to while she masturbates?
10. Why do the residents laugh at Veronika after her heart attack?
Essay Topic 1
Many of the residents of Villete suffer from some kind of mental illness. Paulo Coelho is sensitive when he touches upon the subject. He treats it with respect. Write an essay that explains how the story handles the issues associated with mental illness. Which characters in Veronika Decides to Die suffer from some type of mental illness? How did these characters come to Villete? What sort of treatment do they go through? Are they ever "cured" of their illness?
Essay Topic 2
The most predominant symbol in Veronika Decides to die is the piano. It is the tool that the protagonist uses to enhance her life. It gives her a reason to live again. Write an essay that explains why the piano is important to the plot of the story. When does Veronika first encounter the piano? When does she play it the most? How does the piano comfort her and give her a sense of release? Which characters enjoy her playing the most? How does it makes them feel? Do the residents of Villete love Veronika more because of her playing?
Essay Topic 3
In the beginning of Veronika Decides to Die, the protagonist, Veronika, decides that she does not love her mother. In fact, she hates her mother. But as Veronika undergoes her transformation, her opinions of her mother transform too. Write an essay that explains the role family plays within the context of the story. What does Veronika think of her family? Why does she hate her mother when she first comes to Villete? Why does her opinion of her mother change? What prompts this change?
This section contains 2,335 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)