|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the attending nurse say Veronika reminds her of?
2. Why does Veronika refuse to see outside visitors?
3. How does Veronika react to the news of her inevitable death?
4. What does the attending nurse spend most of her time doing?
5. Which perspective does the novel change to at the beginning of Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Veronika wish for Zedka while she is masturbating?
2. Why does Paulo consider changing Veronika's name for his retelling of the story?
3. Why did Dr. Igor use Veronika for his Vitriol experiment without telling her?
4. Describe Paulo Coelho's father.
5. Why does Veronika begin to feel afraid about dying?
6. How does Veronika feel when she listens to the Sufi flute music?
7. Describe Veronika's personality.
8. What is Dr. Igor's opinion of his theories on Vitriol?
9. What is Veronika's first reaction to waking up in Villete?
10. Why does Veronika regret not living a little "crazier"?
Essay Topic 1
Veronika spends much of her time in Villete wondering about her impending death. As each day goes by, she waits for the fateful moment when her heart will give in. Write an essay that explores the theme of death within the context of Veronika's character. How does the news of Veronika's limited lifespan effect her outlook on the world? How do her opinions of life change as her time on earth dwindles? What happens when she is faced with her last twenty four hours of life?
Essay Topic 2
The supporting characters in Veronika Decides to Die all go through their own transformations. For each character it is different as they approach life in varying ways. Write an essay the explains the transformations Eduard, Zedka, and Mari go through. What happens to each of these characters? How do they change over the course of the story? How does Veronika impact their lives? Is it because of her that they transform and better themselves?
Essay Topic 3
Many of the characters in Veronika Decides to Die are struggling for some kind of acceptance. For some characters it is their parents they want to accept them. For others it is their spouses or their children. Write an essay that analyzes the struggles for acceptance Veronika, Eduard, Zedka, and Mari go through over the course of the story. Which characters are struggling to be accepted by their parents? Why do these characters feel that their parents do not understand them? Which characters struggle for acceptance from their family? How do they overcome the obstacles in Villete to come out victorious so that they may return home?
This section contains 2,340 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)