|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is wrong with Veronika?
2. Does Veronika think of herself as crazy?
3. Who is Mari?
4. How many times was Paulo submitted to a mental hospital?
5. Who is attracted to Veronika's music?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Veronika's first reaction to waking up in Villete?
2. Where does the world "asylum" come form?
3. Why does Veronika imagine what her whole life could be?
4. Why does Veronika choose to overdose on sleeping pills instead of killing herself with other methods?
5. How does playing the piano make Veronika feel?
6. Does Paulo Coelho sympathize with Veronika's situation?
7. Why does Veronika begin to feel afraid about dying?
8. What does Veronika experience during her first heart attack?
9. Describe Veronika's personality.
10. How does Veronika react whens he learns that she has a week to live?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Suicide is a theme critical to the plot of Veronika Decides to Die. The protagonist, Veronika, early on in the story attempts suicide. Because of this she is sent to Villete. Write an essay that explores the topic of suicide as it is presented in the story. What role does suicide play in Veronika's life and her eventual transformation? How is Veronika treated differently than the other residents of Villete because of her attempt on her life?
Essay Topic 2
The conclusion of Veronika Decides to Die leaves many questions for the reader. Paulo Coelho, the author, leaves the book open to many possibilities after the closing action of Chapter 29. Specifically, the last thing Dr. Igor does is to begin writing his report on Veronika's experiment. Write an essay that analyzes the falling action and conclusion to the story. What does Dr. Igor plan on doing after his report has been completed? Why does he neglect the security breach of Villete in favor of completing his writing? Are Eduard and Veronika likely to be forced back to Villete?
Essay Topic 3
The Fraternity is seen as an antagonist to Veronika in the beginning of Veronika Decides to Die. However, over time things begin to change. Write an essay that explores Veronika's encounters with The Fraternity. Why are the members of The Fraternity unkind to Veronika when they first meet? How does Veronika become "accepted" by the members? What does she do to impress them? Why does Veronika attend the meditation session with Fraternity members?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)