|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Veronika read while she waits for the pills to take effect?
2. Who is Paulo Coelho?
3. What does Zedka believe is beyond the walls of Villete?
4. What does Zedka invite Veronika to do?
5. What type of travel does Zedka experience in Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Veronika's personality.
2. Why does Veronika refuse to see her mother?
3. Describe Paulo Coelho's father.
4. Why does Veronika begin to feel afraid about dying?
5. What is Veronika's first reaction to waking up in Villete?
6. What are some of the last things Veronika sees and hears before she falls unconscious?
7. How does Veronika react whens he learns that she has a week to live?
8. Why is Veronika treated unkindly by The Fraternity members when they first meet?
9. Why does Veronika imagine what her whole life could be?
10. Why does Paulo consider changing Veronika's name for his retelling of the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many of the residents of Villete suffer from some kind of mental illness. Paulo Coelho is sensitive when he touches upon the subject. He treats it with respect. Write an essay that explains how the story handles the issues associated with mental illness. Which characters in Veronika Decides to Die suffer from some type of mental illness? How did these characters come to Villete? What sort of treatment do they go through? Are they ever "cured" of their illness?
Essay Topic 2
Veronika blooms sexually throughout her stay at Villete. When she first arrives she is a woman who has slept with many men, but has not truly experienced the forbidden lusts. Write an essay that explores Veronika's sexuality in Veronika Decides to Die. How does she bloom sexually throughout the course of the story? What happens to her? Who prompts her to begin thinking about forbidden lusts?
Essay Topic 3
Eduard and Veronika admit they love one another. When they escape Villete, the first thing they do is go out to dinner. Together they enjoy Veronika's last day alive by celebrating the little things in life. In the evening, they fall asleep in each others arms only to wake up in the morning with Veronika still alive. Write an essay that explores the future relationship of Eduard and Veronika. Are Eduard and Veronika likely to stay together? What will they most likely do now that they have discovered that Veronika will live longer? What information is given by the author to indicate that she will have a healthy life ahead of her?
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)