|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Paulo Coelho from?
2. What does Zedka invite Veronika to do?
3. Who is Paulo Coelho?
4. What is wrong with Zedka?
5. Why does Veronika refuse to see outside visitors?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Zedka tell Veronika the story about the king and his subjects?
2. Describe the two doctors who give Veronika her diagnosis.
3. What are some of the last things Veronika sees and hears before she falls unconscious?
4. Where does the world "asylum" come form?
5. Why does Veronika imagine what her whole life could be?
6. Why does Veronika refuse to see her mother?
7. Why is Veronika treated unkindly by The Fraternity members when they first meet?
8. What does Zedka experience during her treatments?
9. What does Veronika experience during her first heart attack?
10. How does Veronika react whens he learns that she has a week to live?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many of the characters in Veronika Decides to Die are struggling for some kind of acceptance. For some characters it is their parents they want to accept them. For others it is their spouses or their children. Write an essay that analyzes the struggles for acceptance Veronika, Eduard, Zedka, and Mari go through over the course of the story. Which characters are struggling to be accepted by their parents? Why do these characters feel that their parents do not understand them? Which characters struggle for acceptance from their family? How do they overcome the obstacles in Villete to come out victorious so that they may return home?
Essay Topic 2
Love is expressed in many different ways throughout the course of the story. Veronika falls in love with Eduard but only after she realizes that he is the only one in Villete who can truly appreciate her art. Write an essay that explores the theme of love within the context of the story. Does Veronika believe in love when she first is admitted into Villete? How does her opinion of love change over the course of Veronika Decides to Die? Why is she hesitant to love Eduard when she first meets him? What is she afraid of? How does that opinion change?
Essay Topic 3
The Fraternity is seen as an antagonist to Veronika in the beginning of Veronika Decides to Die. However, over time things begin to change. Write an essay that explores Veronika's encounters with The Fraternity. Why are the members of The Fraternity unkind to Veronika when they first meet? How does Veronika become "accepted" by the members? What does she do to impress them? Why does Veronika attend the meditation session with Fraternity members?
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)