|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What year was Paulo first sent into a mental hospital?
2. What is Villete?
3. What happened to Zedka's love?
4. How old is Veronika?
5. What was the name of Paulo's doctor when he was at the mental hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Veronika smack the leader of The Fraternity?
2. Why does Veronika imagine what her whole life could be?
3. Why does Zedka tell Veronika the story about the king and his subjects?
4. What are some of the last things Veronika sees and hears before she falls unconscious?
5. Where does the world "asylum" come form?
6. Why does Veronika begin to feel afraid about dying?
7. What is The Fraternity and what do they believe in?
8. Why does Veronika begin to cry after her first heart attack?
9. What is wrong with Veronika's heart?
10. Does Paulo Coelho sympathize with Veronika's situation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Veronika blooms sexually throughout her stay at Villete. When she first arrives she is a woman who has slept with many men, but has not truly experienced the forbidden lusts. Write an essay that explores Veronika's sexuality in Veronika Decides to Die. How does she bloom sexually throughout the course of the story? What happens to her? Who prompts her to begin thinking about forbidden lusts?
Essay Topic 2
Veronika spends much of her time in Villete wondering about her impending death. As each day goes by, she waits for the fateful moment when her heart will give in. Write an essay that explores the theme of death within the context of Veronika's character. How does the news of Veronika's limited lifespan effect her outlook on the world? How do her opinions of life change as her time on earth dwindles? What happens when she is faced with her last twenty four hours of life?
Essay Topic 3
Many of the residents of Villete suffer from some kind of mental illness. Paulo Coelho is sensitive when he touches upon the subject. He treats it with respect. Write an essay that explains how the story handles the issues associated with mental illness. Which characters in Veronika Decides to Die suffer from some type of mental illness? How did these characters come to Villete? What sort of treatment do they go through? Are they ever "cured" of their illness?
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)