Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Veronika become very angry in Chapter 13?
2. What was the name of Paulo's doctor when he was at the mental hospital?
3. Which country does Veronika live in?
4. Who laughs at Veronika in Chapter 13?
5. Why could Zedka never be with her love?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Veronika react whens he learns that she has a week to live?
2. Why were Eduard's parents happy when he started dating his first girlfriend?
3. How does Veronika feel after she has masturbated?
4. Why does Veronika change her mind about wanting to see her mother?
5. What does Veronika experience during her first heart attack?
6. What does Zedka experience during her treatments?
7. Why does Veronika smack the leader of The Fraternity?
8. What is Mari's belief for why Veronika has been playing the piano more and more frequently?
9. Why does Veronika decide to not touch Eduard even though she wants to while she masturbates?
10. Why do the residents laugh at Veronika after her heart attack?
Essay Topic 1
Many of the characters in Veronika Decides to Die are struggling for some kind of acceptance. For some characters it is their parents they want to accept them. For others it is their spouses or their children. Write an essay that analyzes the struggles for acceptance Veronika, Eduard, Zedka, and Mari go through over the course of the story. Which characters are struggling to be accepted by their parents? Why do these characters feel that their parents do not understand them? Which characters struggle for acceptance from their family? How do they overcome the obstacles in Villete to come out victorious so that they may return home?
Essay Topic 2
Villete is the setting for much of the action that takes place in Veronika Decides to Die. It is only at the end that the characters branch out into the outside world. Write an essay that explores the history of Villete and why it is significant. When was it built? Who built it? What type of people are sent into Villete and why? Where does Villete get its funding from? Why is it often under government scrutiny?
Essay Topic 3
Friendship is a theme central to the characters in Veronika Decides to Die. Without friends, Veronika would have been alone during her time at Villete. Write an essay that explores the theme of friendship within the context of the story. Who are the protagonist's friends? How do they help her through her journey while at Villete? What do Veronika's friends think of her? Do they enjoy being around her? What does she mean to them?
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)