|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Zedka in Chapter 8?
2. What does Zedka invite Veronika to do?
3. Why does Paulo's father live off of frozen food?
4. What does the attending nurse spend most of her time doing?
5. What is Paulo's friend's name?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Paulo Coelho put into a mental hospital as a child?
2. Why does Veronika imagine what her whole life could be?
3. What is The Fraternity and what do they believe in?
4. Why does Paulo consider changing Veronika's name for his retelling of the story?
5. Why does Dr. Igor become annoyed at Veronika's mother when he is lecturing her?
6. Why is Veronika treated unkindly by The Fraternity members when they first meet?
7. Why does Veronika choose to overdose on sleeping pills instead of killing herself with other methods?
8. What is wrong with Veronika's heart?
9. Why does Veronika refuse to see her mother?
10. Describe Paulo Coelho's father.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Music is very important to Veronika. As the story progresses, she begins to transform because of it. She realizes that through music she can see life in a whole different light. Write an essay that explains how music helps Veronika transform and become a better person. Which emotions does she experience as she plays her music? How does she feel when she plays for the moon, the plants, and the beauty of nature? How does her opinion of the world change when she looks at it through melody and song?
Essay Topic 2
Love is expressed in many different ways throughout the course of the story. Veronika falls in love with Eduard but only after she realizes that he is the only one in Villete who can truly appreciate her art. Write an essay that explores the theme of love within the context of the story. Does Veronika believe in love when she first is admitted into Villete? How does her opinion of love change over the course of Veronika Decides to Die? Why is she hesitant to love Eduard when she first meets him? What is she afraid of? How does that opinion change?
Essay Topic 3
Religion is a prevalent theme throughout Veronika Decides to Die. The Fraternity invites a guest speaker, the Sufi master, to lecture at Villete. Later on, Veronika and Eduard debate the meaning of the "Our Lady" painting. Write an essay that explores the role religion plays within the context of the story. What is Sufism and why is it important to the members of The Fraternity? Why do they invite the Sufi master as a guest speaker? How does this contrast to the later debate Veronika and Eduard have over the "Our Lady" painting? What does the painting mean to each of them? What would the characters of the story be like without religion?
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)