|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Veronika ask of Zedka?
2. Does Veronika think of herself as crazy?
3. Which country does Veronika live in?
4. Which perspective does the novel change to at the beginning of Chapter 3?
5. How old is Paulo's father?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Zedka experience during her treatments?
2. Why does Zedka tell Veronika the story about the king and his subjects?
3. Does Paulo Coelho sympathize with Veronika's situation?
4. How does Veronika react whens he learns that she has a week to live?
5. Why does Veronika smack the leader of The Fraternity?
6. How does playing the piano make Veronika feel?
7. What is Veronika's first reaction to waking up in Villete?
8. Why was Paulo Coelho put into a mental hospital as a child?
9. Why is Veronika treated unkindly by The Fraternity members when they first meet?
10. What is wrong with Veronika's heart?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Fraternity is seen as an antagonist to Veronika in the beginning of Veronika Decides to Die. However, over time things begin to change. Write an essay that explores Veronika's encounters with The Fraternity. Why are the members of The Fraternity unkind to Veronika when they first meet? How does Veronika become "accepted" by the members? What does she do to impress them? Why does Veronika attend the meditation session with Fraternity members?
Essay Topic 2
Many of the residents of Villete suffer from some kind of mental illness. Paulo Coelho is sensitive when he touches upon the subject. He treats it with respect. Write an essay that explains how the story handles the issues associated with mental illness. Which characters in Veronika Decides to Die suffer from some type of mental illness? How did these characters come to Villete? What sort of treatment do they go through? Are they ever "cured" of their illness?
Essay Topic 3
Love is expressed in many different ways throughout the course of the story. Veronika falls in love with Eduard but only after she realizes that he is the only one in Villete who can truly appreciate her art. Write an essay that explores the theme of love within the context of the story. Does Veronika believe in love when she first is admitted into Villete? How does her opinion of love change over the course of Veronika Decides to Die? Why is she hesitant to love Eduard when she first meets him? What is she afraid of? How does that opinion change?
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)