|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who submitted Paulo into the mental hospital when he was young?
2. Who is Zedka?
3. What does Veronika do to the leader of The Fraternity?
4. What is wrong with Eduard?
5. Is Veronika beautiful?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Veronika react whens he learns that she has a week to live?
2. Why does Veronika begin to cry after her first heart attack?
3. Why does Veronika refuse to see her mother?
4. Describe Veronika's personality.
5. How does playing the piano make Veronika feel?
6. Why does Veronika become angry with the computer game article?
7. What does Zedka's treatment consist of?
8. Describe Paulo Coelho's father.
9. Why was Paulo Coelho put into a mental hospital as a child?
10. Why is Veronika treated unkindly by The Fraternity members when they first meet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many of the residents of Villete suffer from some kind of mental illness. Paulo Coelho is sensitive when he touches upon the subject. He treats it with respect. Write an essay that explains how the story handles the issues associated with mental illness. Which characters in Veronika Decides to Die suffer from some type of mental illness? How did these characters come to Villete? What sort of treatment do they go through? Are they ever "cured" of their illness?
Essay Topic 2
Suicide is a theme critical to the plot of Veronika Decides to Die. The protagonist, Veronika, early on in the story attempts suicide. Because of this she is sent to Villete. Write an essay that explores the topic of suicide as it is presented in the story. What role does suicide play in Veronika's life and her eventual transformation? How is Veronika treated differently than the other residents of Villete because of her attempt on her life?
Essay Topic 3
Religion is a prevalent theme throughout Veronika Decides to Die. The Fraternity invites a guest speaker, the Sufi master, to lecture at Villete. Later on, Veronika and Eduard debate the meaning of the "Our Lady" painting. Write an essay that explores the role religion plays within the context of the story. What is Sufism and why is it important to the members of The Fraternity? Why do they invite the Sufi master as a guest speaker? How does this contrast to the later debate Veronika and Eduard have over the "Our Lady" painting? What does the painting mean to each of them? What would the characters of the story be like without religion?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)