|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which city does Veronika live in?
2. What type of disposition does Veronika have?
(a) Passive and boring.
(b) Active and mean.
(c) Active and obnoxious.
(d) Passive and kind.
3. Why could Zedka never be with her love?
(a) He was married.
(b) He was not interested in her.
(c) He did not know who Zedka was.
(d) He was in love with someone else.
4. Why does the King in the story drink from the well?
(a) To set an example for others.
(b) To become mad like everyone else.
(c) To quench his thirst.
(d) To prove his subjects wrong.
5. What year did Paulo's mother die?
6. What was Paulo's second promise to himself?
(a) To never get married and never have children.
(b) To never tells his parents how he felt about them.
(c) To never turn back once he flees the country.
(d) To never talk about his time in the mental hospital while his parents live.
7. Where does Veronika live?
(a) She lives alone.
(b) In a convent.
(c) With her aunt.
(d) With her parents.
8. Why does Veronika become very angry in Chapter 13?
(a) She loses her appetite.
(b) She does not die.
(c) She sees her mother.
(d) She breaks the piano.
9. How many times was Paulo submitted to a mental hospital?
(a) Six times.
(b) Three times.
(c) Ten times.
(d) Two times.
10. Which character was drafted into the army?
(a) Zedka's father.
(b) Zedka's uncle.
(c) Zedka's husband.
(d) Zedka's brother.
11. Why does Veronika refuse to see outside visitors?
(a) She is selfish.
(b) She is afraid she will not want to die.
(c) She hates goodbyes.
(d) She is too busy playing music.
12. Why does Paulo feel he can relate to Veronika?
(a) Because sometimes he wishes he could die too.
(b) Because often people mistake the capital of his country.
(c) Because he was once young and foolish too.
(d) Because people often do not understand him either.
13. Who laughs at Veronika in Chapter 13?
14. Where is Paulo Coelho from?
(b) Costa Rica.
15. Who thought Solvenia was a town in Germany?
(a) The cook.
(b) The receptionist.
(c) The butler.
(d) The doctor.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Veronika react to the news of her inevitable death?
2. Did Zedka's husband ever find out about her secret love?
3. Which country does Veronika live in?
4. What does Veronika ask of Zedka?
5. What color eyes does the nurse have?
This section contains 391 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)