|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Veronika become very angry in Chapter 13?
(a) She does not die.
(b) She sees her mother.
(c) She breaks the piano.
(d) She loses her appetite.
2. What is wrong with Veronika?
(a) Her brain will stop functioning soon.
(b) Her heart will stop beating soon.
(c) Nothing is wrong with Veronika.
(d) Her liver will stop functioning soon.
3. Why does Paulo feel he can relate to Veronika?
(a) Because he was once young and foolish too.
(b) Because people often do not understand him either.
(c) Because often people mistake the capital of his country.
(d) Because sometimes he wishes he could die too.
4. What was Paulo's first promise to himself?
(a) To strike it rich.
(b) To flee the country.
(c) To one day tell his story.
(d) To never go back to the asylum.
5. Which perspective does the novel change to at the beginning of Chapter 3?
(a) Alternating person.
6. What bad thing happens to Veronika in Chapter 13?
(a) She has a heart attack.
(b) She chokes on food.
(c) She is poisoned.
(d) She faints.
7. What happens after Veronika's health scare?
(a) She is injected with a sedative.
(b) She is fed soft foods.
(c) She is let outside into the garden.
(d) She is led to her mother.
8. Which country does Veronika live in?
9. Is Veronika beautiful?
(a) Yes, very beautiful.
(b) No, very ugly.
(c) A little bit beautiful.
(d) She is niether beautiful nor ugly.
10. Why does the King in the story drink from the well?
(a) To quench his thirst.
(b) To prove his subjects wrong.
(c) To become mad like everyone else.
(d) To set an example for others.
11. How long has Veronika been living on her own?
(a) Three years.
(b) Six years.
(c) Ten years.
(d) Five years.
12. Why does Veronika decide to not leave the asylum alive?
(a) Because she already knows the outcome of her life.
(b) Because she is angry at her parents.
(c) Because she is bored and wants to be dramatic.
(d) Because she is unsure of the future.
13. Who is Zedka?
(a) A long lost friend.
(b) A nurse.
(c) A doctor's assistant.
(d) A resident at the asylum.
14. What is wrong with Paulo's father?
(a) He has diabetes.
(b) He has ulcers.
(c) He has emphysema.
(d) He has cancer.
15. Why does Veronika refuse to see outside visitors?
(a) She hates goodbyes.
(b) She is too busy playing music.
(c) She is selfish.
(d) She is afraid she will not want to die.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which name did Paulo Coelho consider switching Veronika's name with?
2. Who laughs at Veronika in Chapter 13?
3. Who submitted Paulo into the mental hospital when he was young?
4. How does Veronika feel after interacting with The Fraternity for the first time?
5. What is Paulo's friend's name?
This section contains 444 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)