Chapters 1 and 2
* Veronika, the protagonist, takes a large dose of sleeping pills.
* Veronika contemplates her reasons for wanting to die.
* To pass the time before her death, Veronika reads an article on a computer game.
* Veronika writes an angry letter to the magazine in which she read the article.
* Veronika realizes the letter will be seen as a suicide note.
* Veronika reaffirms to herself that God does not exist.
* Veronika wakes up in Villete.
* A woman in Villete tells Veronika a story about a female relative who rebels against her circumstances.
* The woman is revealed to be a nurse.
* The nurse injects Veronika with a sedative.
* The narrative changes to that of Paulo Coelho, the author.
* The author speaks of learning about Veronika's attempted suicide.
* The author mentions how Veronika, Villete's head physician, was angered by how the other Veronika was treated.
* The author continues to explain...
This section contains 1,259 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)