Chapters 1 and 2
• Veronika, the protagonist, takes a large dose of sleeping pills.
• Veronika contemplates her reasons for wanting to die.
• To pass the time before her death, Veronika reads an article on a computer game.
• Veronika writes an angry letter to the magazine in which she read the article.
• Veronika realizes the letter will be seen as a suicide note.
• Veronika reaffirms to herself that God does not exist.
• Veronika wakes up in Villete.
• A woman in Villete tells Veronika a story about a female relative who rebels against her circumstances.
• The woman is revealed to be a nurse.
• The nurse injects Veronika with a sedative.
• The narrative changes to that of Paulo Coelho, the author.
• The author speaks of learning about Veronika's attempted suicide.
• The author mentions how Veronika, Villete's head physician, was angered by how the other Veronika was treated.
• The author continues to explain...
This section contains 1,476 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)