|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who visits Vernon in prison?
2. What does Goosen tell the court are common bedfellows?
3. What does Vernon speak to the priest about?
4. Which of the following do the students use in their physics class?
5. Who does Goosens claim is medically unfit to testify?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Taylor let Vernon down in the Chapter 20?
2. How does Lally want to change public executions?
3. How does Vernon react to his sentence?
4. What does Vernon tell Taylor on the phone?
5. Why does Vernon dislike his journey through Mexico?
6. What does Vernon do in the San Antonio bus station?
7. What does Vernon receive on his execution day?
8. How does Taylor force Vernon to confess?
9. What does Vernon think the coastline looks like?
10. What does Lally say on the witness stand?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Aside from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 2
How does Vernon's mother cope with being a single parent? How has Vernon's upbringing affected him?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)