|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of person does Dr. Oliver Goosens label Vernon?
2. What does Vernon distract himself with as he watches Taylor on TV?
3. Who does Taylor Figueroa fly to Mexico with to meet Vernon?
4. What is Vernon's sentence?
5. What does Vernon say he feels like he is climbing when he exits the cab?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize Chapter 24.
2. What does Vernon tell Taylor on the phone?
3. What does Nuckles say in court?
4. How does Vernon react to his sentence?
5. Why does Vernon dislike his journey through Mexico?
6. What does Vernon's mom tell him on the phone in Chapter 25?
7. What does Lally say on the witness stand?
8. What does Lasalle say about God in Chapter 24?
9. What telephone calls does Vernon make on the day of his execution?
10. What does Vernon do in the San Antonio bus station?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Aside from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 2
What are the arguments for and against the death penalty? What are Pierre's opinions on the death penalty and how does he express them? Do you agree or disagree with Pierre?
Essay Topic 3
What major events had a profound effect on Vernon's life and how did they change him? What does Vernon still have to learn by the end of the book?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)