|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lori say Jesus took from her?
2. Who does Nuckles accuse of the shooting?
3. What is Lally's mother's disability?
4. Where did Jesus hide his gun?
5. Where does Vernon meet with the priest?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has Taylor's life changed since Vernon's trial?
2. What does Vernon's mom tell him on the phone in Chapter 25?
3. What does Vernon find when he arrives back at school moments after the shooting?
4. Summarize Chapter 24.
5. How does Vernon react to his sentence?
6. How does Lally want to change public executions?
7. What does Nuckles say in court?
8. Why does Vernon think the village looks like something out of NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC?
9. How does Taylor let Vernon down in the Chapter 20?
10. Why does Vernon dislike his journey through Mexico?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick two characters from the book and discuss their goals and motives. Do they achieve their motives? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters' goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
Essay Topic 3
What major events had a profound effect on Vernon's life and how did they change him? What does Vernon still have to learn by the end of the book?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)