|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Vernon's mother put in her hair before going to visit someone?
2. Who does Goosens claim is medically unfit to testify?
3. What does Vernon distract himself with as he watches Taylor on TV?
4. Which one of the following Spanish sentences often appears in the novel?
5. What is Dr. Oliver Goosens speciality?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Vernon's mom tell him on the phone in Chapter 25?
2. What does Lasalle say about God in Chapter 24?
3. Describe Vernon's phone call with Taylor?
4. What is Vernon's view of what happened on May 20?
5. What telephone calls does Vernon make on the day of his execution?
6. What does Vernon think about as he dozes?
7. Summarize Chapter 24.
8. What does Vernon receive on his execution day?
9. What does Vernon do in the San Antonio bus station?
10. Why does Vernon think the village looks like something out of NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the book's reception in three different countries including the country in which the book was written. How do their opinions about the books differ? Was the book more influential in one country than another? If so, why?
Essay Topic 2
What major events had a profound effect on Vernon's life and how did they change him? What does Vernon still have to learn by the end of the book?
Essay Topic 3
What are the main turning points of the book? How does Pierre develop his story to get to each turning point? What happens to the story after a major turning point?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)