|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of drink does Taylor have a the hotel?
2. What is Lally's mother's nationality?
3. What does Vernon think is the most important thing in his life?
4. Where does Vernon meet with the priest?
5. What is Vernon's opinion about the truth?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Vernon think the village looks like something out of NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC?
2. What does Nuckles say in court?
3. How does Lally want to change public executions?
4. Describe Vernon's phone call with Taylor?
5. How does Taylor force Vernon to confess?
6. How has the prison psychologist helped Vernon?
7. What does Vernon's lawyer say in Vernon's defense?
8. What does Vernon's mom tell him on the phone in Chapter 25?
9. What does Vernon do in the San Antonio bus station?
10. What telephone calls does Vernon make on the day of his execution?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 2
Choose two of the following people and outline their influence on Vernon's life:
1. His mother.
Essay Topic 3
How accurate is Pierre's representation of the prison setting? What does the prison setting add to the story? How could Vernon make the best of his time in prison?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)