|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Vernon think is the most important thing in his life?
2. What does Silas Benn use for a postbox?
3. What does Taylor say was her relationship with Vernon?
4. What of the following magazines does Vernon read for the last time?
5. What does Taylor Figueroa wear to the law suit?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Vernon think the coastline looks like?
2. What does Vernon's mom tell him on the phone in Chapter 25?
3. How does Lally want to change public executions?
4. Describe the execution.
5. What telephone calls does Vernon make on the day of his execution?
6. How has the prison psychologist helped Vernon?
7. What is Vernon's view of what happened on May 20?
8. How does Taylor let Vernon down in the Chapter 20?
9. What does Lally say on the witness stand?
10. What does Nuckles say in court?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What major events had a profound effect on Vernon's life and how did they change him? What does Vernon still have to learn by the end of the book?
Essay Topic 2
Why are a person's teenage years supposed to be so difficult? How much was Jesus' reaction to the bullying because of his sensitive age? In what way does Vernon's young age become a joke in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)