|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does Taylor Figueroa want to buy Vernon in Houston?
2. What brand of cigarettes does Vernon smoke for the last night?
3. Which of the following names does Vernon use in Mexico?
4. What does Taylor call Vernon before she hangs up on him?
5. Which of the following characters is Vernon suspected of killing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Vernon tell Taylor on the phone?
2. What does Lally say on the witness stand?
3. What does Vernon find when he arrives back at school moments after the shooting?
4. How has the prison psychologist helped Vernon?
5. How does Vernon react to his sentence?
6. What does Lasalle say about God in Chapter 24?
7. What does Vernon think the coastline looks like?
8. What telephone calls does Vernon make on the day of his execution?
9. Describe Vernon's phone call with Taylor?
10. What does Vernon receive on his execution day?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author wrote VERNON GOD LITTLE in the first person. Why do you think the author chose to write the story in the first person? How do you think the meaning of the story would change if the author wrote it in the third person?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the construction of Pierre's argument.
1. How does he introduce his ideas?
2. How does he construct his ideas to come to logical conclusion?
3. What weaknesses and strengths can you identify in Pierre's argument?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)