|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lori say Jesus took from her?
2. What does Taylor Figueroa wear to the law suit?
3. Who does Taylor Figueroa fly to Mexico with to meet Vernon?
4. What does Vernon think is the most important thing in his life?
5. What is Vernon's sentence?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Vernon think about as he dozes?
2. What does Vernon's mom tell him on the phone in Chapter 25?
3. How has Taylor's life changed since Vernon's trial?
4. What does Vernon find when he arrives back at school moments after the shooting?
5. Why does Vernon dislike his journey through Mexico?
6. Why does Vernon think the village looks like something out of NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC?
7. Describe Vernon's phone call with Taylor?
8. What does Vernon receive on his execution day?
9. What does Vernon tell Taylor on the phone?
10. How does Taylor let Vernon down in the Chapter 20?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 2
Aside from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the book's reception in three different countries including the country in which the book was written. How do their opinions about the books differ? Was the book more influential in one country than another? If so, why?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)