|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which of the following towns does Lally have his business?
2. What does Taylor tell the court she cannot provide for Vernon?
3. Which one of the following Spanish sentences often appears in the novel?
4. What does Lori say Jesus took from her?
5. What of the following magazines does Vernon read for the last time?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Taylor let Vernon down in the Chapter 20?
2. What does Vernon tell Taylor on the phone?
3. What telephone calls does Vernon make on the day of his execution?
4. What does Vernon's lawyer say in Vernon's defense?
5. How has the prison psychologist helped Vernon?
6. How has Taylor's life changed since Vernon's trial?
7. What does Vernon receive on his execution day?
8. What does Lally say on the witness stand?
9. What does Vernon think the coastline looks like?
10. What does Vernon find when he arrives back at school moments after the shooting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Aside from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 2
What are the arguments for and against the death penalty? What are Pierre's opinions on the death penalty and how does he express them? Do you agree or disagree with Pierre?
Essay Topic 3
Why are a person's teenage years supposed to be so difficult? How much was Jesus' reaction to the bullying because of his sensitive age? In what way does Vernon's young age become a joke in the novel?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)