|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which one of the following Spanish sentences often appears in the novel?
2. What does Vernon have to sit in in the courtroom?
3. In which of the following towns does Lally have his business?
4. What kind of drink does Taylor have a the hotel?
5. Who does Nuckles accuse of the shooting?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Vernon tell Taylor on the phone?
2. What does Vernon receive on his execution day?
3. What does Vernon do in the San Antonio bus station?
4. What does Vernon's lawyer say in Vernon's defense?
5. How does Vernon react to his sentence?
6. Describe Vernon's phone call with Taylor?
7. Summarize Chapter 24.
8. How does Lally want to change public executions?
9. What does Lasalle say about God in Chapter 24?
10. What does Vernon's mom tell him on the phone in Chapter 25?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the main turning points of the book? How does Pierre develop his story to get to each turning point? What happens to the story after a major turning point?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
Essay Topic 3
What major events had a profound effect on Vernon's life and how did they change him? What does Vernon still have to learn by the end of the book?
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)