|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What method does the judge want to use to kill Vernon?
2. What interests Vernon about Taylor when he meets her in Houston?
3. What of the following magazines does Vernon read for the last time?
4. How does Vernon react to the court's decision?
5. What is Lally's mother's disability?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the book and helps to express character and theme:
2. Point of view
Essay Topic 3
Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)