|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Vernon live with?
2. In which city is the university Taylor visits?
3. What are Vernon's mother and Lally wearing when Vernon comes home?
4. Which of the following best describes the judge at Vernon's trial?
5. What kind of business does Ketter own?
Short Essay Questions
1. What advice does Vernon's mother give him before the trial?
2. Why does the Judge release Vernon?
3. Describe the execution.
4. What does Vernon tell Taylor on the phone?
5. Why is Vernon depressed after only one night back at home?
6. How does Vernon react to his sentence?
7. What does Nuckles say in court?
8. How does Lally want to change public executions?
9. Describe Ella.
10. Summarize Chapter 24.
Essay Topic 1
How accurate is Pierre's representation of the prison setting? What does the prison setting add to the story? How could Vernon make the best of his time in prison?
Essay Topic 2
Aside from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 3
Why are a person's teenage years supposed to be so difficult? How much was Jesus' reaction to the bullying because of his sensitive age? In what way does Vernon's young age become a joke in the novel?
This section contains 1,305 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)