|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following lessons is Vernon having when Jesus begins shooting?
2. Where does Mr. Deutschman have to get his haircut?
3. How does Vernon jeopardize his bail?
4. To which of the following cities does Vernon have to travel after his arrest?
5. What are Vernon's mother and Lally wearing when Vernon comes home?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Vernon plan to help Silas Benn?
2. Why does the Judge release Vernon?
3. What does Lally's show state about Vernon's life?
4. Why does Vernon hang up on his Mom when he talks to her from prison?
5. How does Vernon's Mom betray the fact she does not believe in her son's innocence?
6. Describe Ella.
7. How does Vernon get $160 off Deutschman?
8. What does Vernon recall about the morning of the murders as he rode to school with Jesus?
9. What does Vernon think about Taylor in this section?
10. Why is Vernon's mother angry with Vernon in Chapter 11?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 3
How accurate is Pierre's representation of the prison setting? What does the prison setting add to the story? How could Vernon make the best of his time in prison?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)