|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lally say is his job?
2. What does Vernon find strange when he arrives at McAllen?
3. What is Palmyra's habit to forget to do when he drives to Vernon's house?
4. How does Vernon jeopardize his bail?
5. What does Pam eat while she sits on the sofa?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reason does Vaine give for Vernon's arrest?
2. How does Goosens probe Vernon in Act 2, chapter 7?
3. Why is Vernon depressed after only one night back at home?
4. Why does Vernon think he is doomed in Act 1, Chapter 6?
5. What does Vernon have to do at the New Life Center?
6. What does Vernon think about Taylor in this section?
7. What does Lally's show state about Vernon's life?
8. How does Vernon's Mom betray the fact she does not believe in her son's innocence?
9. Why does Vernon make faces before appearing on TV?
10. How does Vernon change fate in Chapter 9?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Aside from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 2
How does Vernon's mother cope with being a single parent? How has Vernon's upbringing affected him?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)