|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Vernon eat in the police station?
2. What part of Vernon's body does Dr. Oliver Goosens touch for the first time?
3. Where does Vernon say he wants to buy a house?
4. What does Vernon say he feels about Jesus?
5. Which part of Jesus' body is deformed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Vernon's mother angry with Vernon in Chapter 11?
2. What does Vernon have to do at the New Life Center?
3. Why does Mr. Deutschman have to get his haircut at the meatworks factory?
4. Why does Vernon hang up on his Mom when he talks to her from prison?
5. Describe Ella.
6. How did Vernon once help Taylor at a party?
7. How does Vernon's Mom betray the fact she does not believe in her son's innocence?
8. Why does the Judge release Vernon?
9. How does Vernon change fate in Chapter 9?
10. What does Vernon overhear his mom and her friends talking about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the book and helps to express character and theme:
2. Point of view
Essay Topic 2
What are the arguments for and against the death penalty? What are Pierre's opinions on the death penalty and how does he express them? Do you agree or disagree with Pierre?
Essay Topic 3
What does Vernon's lawyer say in his defense? What case does the prosecution have against Vernon? In what way does the court case satirize American culture?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)