|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Vernon's mother tell Vernon to be aware of?
2. Why does Vernon give Deutschman back $20?
3. Where does Taylor want Vernon to meet him?
4. How does the judge describe Vernon's family situation?
5. Where does Vernon want Taylor to take him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Vernon plan to help Silas Benn?
2. How did Vernon once help Taylor at a party?
3. How does Vernon's Mom betray the fact she does not believe in her son's innocence?
4. Describe Ella.
5. Why does Vernon think he is doomed in Act 1, Chapter 6?
6. What does Vernon think about Jesus?
7. Why does no boy in town love Ella?
8. Why is Vernon depressed after only one night back at home?
9. What does Vernon remind himself when he realizes he is in a tough situation?
10. What does Lally's show state about Vernon's life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How accurate is Pierre's representation of the prison setting? What does the prison setting add to the story? How could Vernon make the best of his time in prison?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
Essay Topic 3
What does Vernon's lawyer say in his defense? What case does the prosecution have against Vernon? In what way does the court case satirize American culture?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)