|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the judge describe Vernon's family situation?
2. What does Lally say is his job?
3. Who gives Vernon the chain with the cross?
4. What is Vernon's opinion of the music group which plays through the interview with the journalist?
5. What is the color of the ambulance's floor?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Vernon imagine about the TV movie of his life?
2. Why does Vernon make faces before appearing on TV?
3. Why does Vernon's mother say she is crying?
4. Describe Ella.
5. Why does Vernon want to get out of Texas?
6. What does Vernon remind himself when he realizes he is in a tough situation?
7. Why does Vernon think he is doomed in Act 1, Chapter 6?
8. How does Vernon's Mom betray the fact she does not believe in her son's innocence?
9. What do the police find out about Vernon's sexuality?
10. Why are Vernon, Deutschman and Ella all happy with the outcome in Chapter 13?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
Essay Topic 2
Aside from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 3
How does Vernon's mother cope with being a single parent? How has Vernon's upbringing affected him?
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)