|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following foods does Vernon eat in the police station?
2. In which of the following Texan cities is the novel set?
3. Who does Vernon introduce to Taylor's mother?
4. What does Vernon hide in his bedroom?
5. Who does Vernon want to have to himself in Mexico?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Vernon depressed after only one night back at home?
2. How does Vernon's Mom betray the fact she does not believe in her son's innocence?
3. What is Vernon's view of what happened on May 20?
4. What does Lally say on the witness stand?
5. Why does International Bridge look like a Spielberg set?
6. What does Vernon think about Taylor in this section?
7. What does Lasalle say about God in Chapter 24?
8. Why does Vernon dislike his journey through Mexico?
9. What does Vernon remind himself when he realizes he is in a tough situation?
10. Why does Mr. Deutschman have to get his haircut at the meatworks factory?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Vernon's lawyer say in his defense? What case does the prosecution have against Vernon? In what way does the court case satirize American culture?
Essay Topic 2
How does Vernon's mother cope with being a single parent? How has Vernon's upbringing affected him?
Essay Topic 3
What major events had a profound effect on Vernon's life and how did they change him? What does Vernon still have to learn by the end of the book?
This section contains 1,171 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)