|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Vernon say he feels about Jesus?
2. What is Vernon's full name?
3. Who does Vernon live with?
4. What does Lally say is his job?
5. What is Vernon's opinion of the music group which plays through the interview with the journalist?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lally's show state about Vernon's life?
2. What does Vernon overhear his mom and her friends talking about?
3. Why does Vernon's mother say she is crying?
4. Why does Vernon make faces before appearing on TV?
5. Why does no boy in town love Ella?
6. Why is Vernon's mother angry with Vernon in Chapter 11?
7. How did Vernon once help Taylor at a party?
8. What does Vernon remind himself when he realizes he is in a tough situation?
9. Describe Ella.
10. How does Goosens probe Vernon in Act 2, chapter 7?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Aside from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
Essay Topic 3
What does Vernon's lawyer say in his defense? What case does the prosecution have against Vernon? In what way does the court case satirize American culture?
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)