|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of people does the narrator say the town is full of?
2. What is Palmyra's habit to forget to do when he drives to Vernon's house?
3. Who does Vernon want to have to himself in Mexico?
4. What is the cowgirl wearing under her Levis?
5. What does Vernon Little wear in the opening scene?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Ella.
2. Why does Vernon make faces before appearing on TV?
3. What lesson does Vernon say he has learned?
4. How does Goosens probe Vernon in Act 2, chapter 7?
5. Why does Vernon not want to invite Vaine into his home?
6. Why does Vernon's mother say she is crying?
7. What do the police find out about Vernon's sexuality?
8. What does Vernon recall about the morning of the murders as he rode to school with Jesus?
9. What does Vernon have to do at the New Life Center?
10. Why does Vernon hang up on his Mom when he talks to her from prison?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 2
What major events had a profound effect on Vernon's life and how did they change him? What does Vernon still have to learn by the end of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)