|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Taylor want Vernon to meet him?
2. Who does Vernon introduce to Taylor's mother?
3. What does the judge think Vernon needed in his life?
4. Who of the following is a friend of Vernon's?
5. Which part of Jesus' body is deformed?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Vernon's Mom betray the fact she does not believe in her son's innocence?
2. What advice does Vernon's mother give him before the trial?
3. What does Lally's show state about Vernon's life?
4. What do the police find out about Vernon's sexuality?
5. What does Vernon think about Jesus?
6. Why is Vernon's mother angry with Vernon in Chapter 11?
7. Why are Vernon, Deutschman and Ella all happy with the outcome in Chapter 13?
8. How does Vernon plan to help Silas Benn?
9. Why does Vernon's mother say she is crying?
10. How does Goosens probe Vernon in Act 2, chapter 7?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why are a person's teenage years supposed to be so difficult? How much was Jesus' reaction to the bullying because of his sensitive age? In what way does Vernon's young age become a joke in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Aside from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)