|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Vernon's neighbors describe him?
2. Which of his teachers did Vernon have to run an errand for?
3. Why does Vernon give Deutschman back $20?
4. In which of the following Texan cities is the novel set?
5. What reason does Vernon give the customs office for going to Mexico?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Vernon remind himself when he realizes he is in a tough situation?
2. How does Goosens probe Vernon in Act 2, chapter 7?
3. What lesson does Vernon say he has learned?
4. What does Vernon think about Taylor in this section?
5. Why does Vernon hang up on his Mom when he talks to her from prison?
6. Why does Vernon want to get out of Texas?
7. How does Vernon's Mom betray the fact she does not believe in her son's innocence?
8. What advice does Vernon's mother give him before the trial?
9. How does Vernon change fate in Chapter 9?
10. How does Vernon get $160 off Deutschman?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What problems does Vernon's generation face? How are the problems for Vernon's generation different to the problems his father's generation faced? Identify and discuss a significant problem facing your generation.
Essay Topic 2
Pick two characters from the book and discuss their goals and motives. Do they achieve their motives? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters' goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)