|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What part of Vernon's body does Dr. Oliver Goosens touch for the second time?
2. In which of the following cities does Vernon want to visit in Mexico?
3. Which of the following is the location of the murder?
4. On which of the following days does the novel begin?
5. Which of the following workers does the city have more of than police?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Vernon have to do at the New Life Center?
2. What lesson does Vernon say he has learned?
3. How does Vernon's Mom betray the fact she does not believe in her son's innocence?
4. What does Vernon overhear his mom and her friends talking about?
5. What does Vernon remind himself when he realizes he is in a tough situation?
6. What does Vernon recall about the morning of the murders as he rode to school with Jesus?
7. Why does Vernon's mother say she is crying?
8. Why does the Judge release Vernon?
9. Why does Vernon hang up on his Mom when he talks to her from prison?
10. What does Vernon imagine about the TV movie of his life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the book's reception in three different countries including the country in which the book was written. How do their opinions about the books differ? Was the book more influential in one country than another? If so, why?
Essay Topic 3
What are the main turning points of the book? How does Pierre develop his story to get to each turning point? What happens to the story after a major turning point?
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)