|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Venetia tell her aunt at the end of Chapter 19?
(a) That she is already married.
(b) That she forgave her father.
(c) That she is going home.
(d) That her mother invited Venetia to live with her.
2. How does Mrs. Hendred react to the restaurant in Chapter 18?
(a) She is confused.
(b) She is disgusted.
(c) She is impressed.
(d) She is amused.
3. Where does Venetia go following her visit with her uncle in Chapter 15?
(a) To the Priory.
(b) To buy supplies in the village.
(c) To her room.
(d) To say goodbye to Aubrey.
4. Why does Venetia's uncle come to Undershaw in Chapter 15?
(a) To invite Venetia to go to London.
(b) To announce a death in the family.
(c) To take Aubrey to college.
(d) To survey the Undershaw grounds.
5. How does Mrs. Hendred react when she sees the striking woman in Chapter 18?
(a) She becomes upset.
(b) She laughs.
(c) She gasps.
(d) She gets excited.
6. Why did Conway send Mrs. Scorrier to Undershaw?
(a) She was causing trouble for him at his post.
(b) She wants to run his estate.
(c) She lost her own home due to debt.
(d) She can't bear to be apart from her daughter.
7. What disturbs Mrs. Hendred about Venetia's conduct?
(a) That she lacks table manners.
(b) That she goes out without attendants.
(c) That she cannot dance.
(d) That she gossips.
8. Why do Sir John and Lady Denny send Oswald away?
(a) He threatens to harm Damerel.
(b) He requests an adventure.
(c) They are worried about his behavior.
(d) The villagers gossip about him.
9. What does Damerel manage to do after just a few moments in Chapter 12?
(a) Bring Charlotte out of her shell.
(b) Figure out Charlotte is sick.
(c) Frighten Charlotte.
(d) Offend Charlotte.
10. What does Sir Lambert apologize to Venetia for in Chapter 19?
(a) Kicking Venetia out of Lady Steeple's room.
(b) Stealing her mother away.
(c) Implying that Venetia was after his money.
(d) Saying that Lady Steeple was prettier than Venetia.
11. Who does Venetia receive a lengthy letter from in Chapter 13?
(a) Her aunt.
12. How does Venetia feel when she is busy in Chapter 16?
(a) Like she is wasting her time.
(b) Almost content.
13. Why does Aubrey's dog begin to bark in Chapter 14?
(a) Aubrey shouts at Mrs. Scorrier.
(b) Mrs. Scorrier hit the dog.
(c) Charlotte goes into labor.
(d) Someone is lurking outside the window.
14. What does Oswald complain to Damerel about in Chapter 9?
(a) Oswald's father.
(b) Damerel's actions with Venetia.
(c) Being away from London.
(d) Venetia's flirtatiousness.
15. What does Venetia set out to find on the morning after she finds out about her mother?
(a) Her mother's hotel.
(b) Her brother's barracks.
(c) Her father's grave site.
(d) Her birth certificate.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Venetia unable to sleep during her London trip in Chapter 16?
2. What does Mrs. Scorrier demand of Venetia in Chapter 13?
3. Why does Venetia visit a neighbor in Chapter 15?
4. Who do Venetia and Sir Lambert encounter on the walk home in Chapter 19?
5. How does Aubrey respond when Mrs. Scorrier picks fights with him?
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)