|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Mrs. Hendred constantly worrying about?
(a) Venetia wearing current fashions.
(b) Making Venetia a good marriage match.
(c) Missing the mail.
(d) The weather.
2. How does Venetia react to Mrs. Scorrier's attempt to make amends?
(a) She smiles sweetly.
(b) She rolls her eyes.
(c) She makes short replies.
(d) She hugs Mrs. Scorrier.
3. Where do Sir John and Lady Denny send Oswald?
(a) To a university.
(b) To a monastery.
(c) On a holiday to France.
(d) To stay with his Uncle.
4. What does Oswald complain to Damerel about in Chapter 9?
(a) Damerel's actions with Venetia.
(b) Oswald's father.
(c) Being away from London.
(d) Venetia's flirtatiousness.
5. What does Lady Denny worry about once she realizes that Venetia loves Damerel?
(a) That Conway will disown her.
(b) That Venetia will lose her inheritance.
(c) That they might marry.
(d) That Venetia will run away to be with him.
6. Why does Mrs. Scorrier stop interfering in Aubrey's affairs after awhile?
(a) Venetia says Conway would want Venetia herself to handle Aubrey's affairs.
(b) Charlotte threatens to send Mrs. Scorrier away if she doesn't stop.
(c) Mrs. Scorrier can see Aubrey doesn't need her opinions.
(d) Aubrey threatens Mrs. Scorrier angrily.
7. What does Damerel almost do after Oswald leaves in Chapter 9?
(a) Kisses Venetia.
(b) Trip over a rake.
(c) Slap Venetia.
8. Why does Lady Steeple breakdown in front of Venetia in Chapter 19?
(a) She is saddened to hear her favorite dog died.
(b) She feels guilty for abandoning her children.
(c) She is sad her past is affecting Venetia's marriage prospects.
(d) She is upset that she is old enough to have a grown-up daughter.
9. What does Venetia threaten to do if Oswald does not apologize in Chapter 9?
(a) Have Damerel challenge him to a duel.
(b) Break off their engagement.
(c) Report him to the authorities.
(d) Tell his father what he did.
10. What does Venetia have to figure out at the end of Chapter 17?
(a) How to find Conway.
(b) How to outsmart her aunt.
(c) How to get Damerel back.
(d) How to apologize to Yardley.
11. According to Venetia, what does she have a time limit to do in Chapter 18?
(a) Meet her mother.
(b) Find a husband.
(c) Raise money.
(d) Come up with a plan.
12. What do the dog that angers Mrs. Scorrier and Charlotte have in common?
(a) They are both blue-eyed.
(b) They are both pregnant.
(c) They both like to eat carrots.
(d) They are both named after royalty.
13. What does Sir Lambert apologize to Venetia for in Chapter 19?
(a) Implying that Venetia was after his money.
(b) Kicking Venetia out of Lady Steeple's room.
(c) Saying that Lady Steeple was prettier than Venetia.
(d) Stealing her mother away.
14. How is Charlotte's demeanor described to the reader?
(a) As snooty and dull.
(b) As demure yet confident.
(c) As pleasant, but scared.
(d) As bold and brash.
15. Why does Mrs. Scorrier try to make amends with Venetia in Chapter 14?
(a) She genuinely likes Venetia.
(b) She doesn't want people to think she chased Venetia out of her home.
(c) She realizes Venetia will marry a powerful man.
(d) She wants Venetia to return to run the estate.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Mrs. Scorrier, what does Charlotte have a horror of?
2. Why does Venetia visit a neighbor in Chapter 15?
3. Who do Venetia and Sir Lambert encounter on the walk home in Chapter 19?
4. Who is Sir Lambert?
5. How does Damerel react to the news that Venetia plans to set up a house for herself?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)