|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Mrs. Scorrier?
(a) Undershaw's new housekeeper.
(b) Damerel's aunt.
(c) Conway's mother-in-law.
(d) Conway's wife's nurse.
2. How does Mrs. Hendred react to the restaurant in Chapter 18?
(a) She is impressed.
(b) She is amused.
(c) She is disgusted.
(d) She is confused.
3. What prompts Aubrey to change his behavior towards Mrs. Scorrier in Chapter 14?
(a) Damerel tells Aubrey that Mrs. Scorrier is deformed too.
(b) Damerel tells Aubrey that he is making things hard on Venetia.
(c) Damerel tells Aubrey that Mrs. Scorrier has a large fortune.
(d) Damerel tells Aubrey that Mrs. Scorrier praised him for his intelligence.
4. Who do Venetia and Sir Lambert encounter on the walk home in Chapter 19?
5. What does Oswald seek from Damerel when he intercepts him on the way home in Chapter 9?
(a) A duel.
(c) An apology.
(d) A promise.
6. Who is Marston?
(a) The vicar.
(b) Oswald's friend.
(c) Damerel's servant.
(d) A squire.
7. What does Venetia hope for while walking with Sir Lambert down the street in Chapter 19?
(a) That someone will rescue her.
(b) That someone will still want to marry her.
(c) That someone will mistake them for a couple.
(d) That someone will gossip about them.
8. According to Venetia, what does she have a time limit to do in Chapter 18?
(a) Come up with a plan.
(b) Meet her mother.
(c) Raise money.
(d) Find a husband.
9. What does Damerel manage to do after just a few moments in Chapter 12?
(a) Offend Charlotte.
(b) Figure out Charlotte is sick.
(c) Frighten Charlotte.
(d) Bring Charlotte out of her shell.
10. Why does Mrs. Scorrier try to make amends with Venetia in Chapter 14?
(a) She realizes Venetia will marry a powerful man.
(b) She wants Venetia to return to run the estate.
(c) She genuinely likes Venetia.
(d) She doesn't want people to think she chased Venetia out of her home.
11. What is Mrs. Hendred constantly worrying about?
(a) Making Venetia a good marriage match.
(b) Venetia wearing current fashions.
(c) Missing the mail.
(d) The weather.
12. Why does Aubrey's dog begin to bark in Chapter 14?
(a) Aubrey shouts at Mrs. Scorrier.
(b) Someone is lurking outside the window.
(c) Mrs. Scorrier hit the dog.
(d) Charlotte goes into labor.
13. Why do Sir John and Lady Denny send Oswald away?
(a) He requests an adventure.
(b) The villagers gossip about him.
(c) He threatens to harm Damerel.
(d) They are worried about his behavior.
14. How does Venetia feel when she is busy in Chapter 16?
(b) Like she is wasting her time.
(c) Almost content.
15. What had Venetia longed to do as a little girl?
(a) Stay in London.
(b) Keep a horse.
(c) Learn how to play violin.
(d) Attend a ball.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the striking woman who Venetia sees in Chapter 18?
2. According to Mrs. Hendred, why must Venetia not meet with the striking woman in Chapter 18?
3. Why did Conway send Mrs. Scorrier to Undershaw?
4. What does Lady Steeple learn about Venetia that she finds horrible?
5. What do the servants do when Mrs. Scorrier asks them to do anything?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)