|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who do Venetia and Sir Lambert encounter on the walk home in Chapter 19?
2. Who does Venetia receive a lengthy letter from in Chapter 13?
(c) Her aunt.
3. What does Venetia have to figure out at the end of Chapter 17?
(a) How to outsmart her aunt.
(b) How to find Conway.
(c) How to get Damerel back.
(d) How to apologize to Yardley.
4. What does Damerel manage to do after just a few moments in Chapter 12?
(a) Figure out Charlotte is sick.
(b) Offend Charlotte.
(c) Bring Charlotte out of her shell.
(d) Frighten Charlotte.
5. What does Damerel almost do after Oswald leaves in Chapter 9?
(a) Kisses Venetia.
(c) Slap Venetia.
(d) Trip over a rake.
6. What causes Venetia to feel depressed in Chapter 16?
(a) The sudden appearance of Yardley.
(b) Having no female friends her own age.
(c) A letter from Mrs. Denny.
(d) Thinking of Damerel.
7. What does Mrs. Hendred think about Yardley as possible husband for Venetia?
(a) She likes him. but doesn't think he's a good match for Venetia.
(b) She approves of and encourages him.
(c) She disapproves of his arrogance.
(d) She suspects he is penniless.
8. What does Lady Denny worry about once she realizes that Venetia loves Damerel?
(a) That Conway will disown her.
(b) That they might marry.
(c) That Venetia will lose her inheritance.
(d) That Venetia will run away to be with him.
9. What does the striking woman that Venetia sees in Chapter 18 do to Venetia?
(a) She waves at her.
(b) She blushes.
(c) She grins.
(d) She frowns.
10. What prompts Aubrey to change his behavior towards Mrs. Scorrier in Chapter 14?
(a) Damerel tells Aubrey that he is making things hard on Venetia.
(b) Damerel tells Aubrey that Mrs. Scorrier praised him for his intelligence.
(c) Damerel tells Aubrey that Mrs. Scorrier has a large fortune.
(d) Damerel tells Aubrey that Mrs. Scorrier is deformed too.
11. What does Venetia hope for while walking with Sir Lambert down the street in Chapter 19?
(a) That someone will mistake them for a couple.
(b) That someone will rescue her.
(c) That someone will still want to marry her.
(d) That someone will gossip about them.
12. According to Mrs. Scorrier, what does Charlotte have a horror of?
(b) The dark.
13. What does Oswald seek from Damerel when he intercepts him on the way home in Chapter 9?
(a) A duel.
(b) A promise.
(c) An apology.
14. Where do Sir John and Lady Denny send Oswald?
(a) To a monastery.
(b) To stay with his Uncle.
(c) To a university.
(d) On a holiday to France.
15. Who is Mrs. Scorrier?
(a) Damerel's aunt.
(b) Conway's wife's nurse.
(c) Conway's mother-in-law.
(d) Undershaw's new housekeeper.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the striking woman who Venetia saw in Chapter 18?
2. What does Lady Steeple tell Venetia that she never wanted in Chapter 19?
3. Where does Damerel take Aubrey in Chapter 10?
4. According to Mrs. Hendred, why must Venetia not meet with the striking woman in Chapter 18?
5. What is the name of Aubrey's dog that scares Charlotte in Chapter 14?
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)