|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Mrs. Scorrier?
(a) Conway's mother-in-law.
(b) Conway's wife's nurse.
(c) Damerel's aunt.
(d) Undershaw's new housekeeper.
2. What does Venetia threaten to do if Oswald does not apologize in Chapter 9?
(a) Tell his father what he did.
(b) Break off their engagement.
(c) Have Damerel challenge him to a duel.
(d) Report him to the authorities.
3. Why does Mrs. Scorrier try to make amends with Venetia in Chapter 14?
(a) She realizes Venetia will marry a powerful man.
(b) She doesn't want people to think she chased Venetia out of her home.
(c) She wants Venetia to return to run the estate.
(d) She genuinely likes Venetia.
4. Where does Mrs. Scorrier wish to have all of Aubrey's dogs kept?
(a) In his room.
(b) In a pen.
(c) On the terrace.
(d) In the barn.
5. How is the restaurant that Yardley takes Mrs. Hendred and Venetia to in Chapter 18 described?
(a) As rustic.
(b) As shabby.
(c) As fancy.
(d) As modern.
6. Where do Sir John and Lady Denny send Oswald?
(a) On a holiday to France.
(b) To a monastery.
(c) To stay with his Uncle.
(d) To a university.
7. What is the name of Conway's new wife?
8. What does Lady Denny worry about once she realizes that Venetia loves Damerel?
(a) That Venetia will run away to be with him.
(b) That Conway will disown her.
(c) That Venetia will lose her inheritance.
(d) That they might marry.
9. What do Venetia and Lady Steeple talk about when they meet for the first time?
(a) Venetia's financial situation.
(b) The London parties.
(c) Venetia's childhood.
10. What do the dog that angers Mrs. Scorrier and Charlotte have in common?
(a) They are both pregnant.
(b) They are both named after royalty.
(c) They both like to eat carrots.
(d) They are both blue-eyed.
11. What does Mrs. Scorrier demand of Venetia in Chapter 13?
(a) To pick and marry a suitor.
(b) To treat Charlotte like a sister.
(c) To stop handling the estate finances.
(d) To stop Damerel's visits to Undershaw.
12. What does Philip inform Mrs. Scorrier of in Chapter 15?
(a) That Charlotte has no legal rights at Undershaw.
(b) That Conway has a gambling problem.
(c) That the family fortune is gone.
(d) That a portion of the estate land is to be sold.
13. What prompts Aubrey to change his behavior towards Mrs. Scorrier in Chapter 14?
(a) Damerel tells Aubrey that he is making things hard on Venetia.
(b) Damerel tells Aubrey that Mrs. Scorrier praised him for his intelligence.
(c) Damerel tells Aubrey that Mrs. Scorrier is deformed too.
(d) Damerel tells Aubrey that Mrs. Scorrier has a large fortune.
14. Who is Marston?
(a) A squire.
(b) The vicar.
(c) Oswald's friend.
(d) Damerel's servant.
15. What does Venetia try to come up with a plan to do in Chapter 18?
(a) Feign illness.
(b) Get Conway to return to Undershaw.
(c) Move permanently to London.
(d) Win Damerel back.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the striking woman that Venetia sees in Chapter 18 do to Venetia?
2. What had Venetia longed to do as a little girl?
3. Why does Mrs. Scorrier stop interfering in Aubrey's affairs after awhile?
4. Who does Venetia receive a lengthy letter from in Chapter 13?
5. Why does Aubrey's dog begin to bark in Chapter 14?
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)