|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the striking woman who Venetia sees in Chapter 18?
(a) Lady Steeple.
(b) Lady Sophia.
(c) Lady Saunders.
(d) Lady Susan.
2. How is the restaurant that Yardley takes Mrs. Hendred and Venetia to in Chapter 18 described?
(a) As shabby.
(b) As rustic.
(c) As fancy.
(d) As modern.
3. Who does Venetia receive a brief note from in Chapter 13?
4. What does Venetia set out to find on the morning after she finds out about her mother?
(a) Her birth certificate.
(b) Her brother's barracks.
(c) Her mother's hotel.
(d) Her father's grave site.
5. Why does Aubrey's dog begin to bark in Chapter 14?
(a) Someone is lurking outside the window.
(b) Aubrey shouts at Mrs. Scorrier.
(c) Mrs. Scorrier hit the dog.
(d) Charlotte goes into labor.
6. What causes Venetia to feel depressed in Chapter 16?
(a) The sudden appearance of Yardley.
(b) Having no female friends her own age.
(c) Thinking of Damerel.
(d) A letter from Mrs. Denny.
7. What does Aubrey tell Venetia while returning home in a buggy in Chapter 10?
(a) That she should encourage Yardley's affections.
(b) That it would make him happy if she married Damerel.
(c) To take her inheritance and go to London.
(d) That he would be surprised if she ever got married.
8. What do Venetia and Lady Steeple talk about when they meet for the first time?
(b) Venetia's childhood.
(c) Venetia's financial situation.
(d) The London parties.
9. What does Venetia threaten to do if Oswald does not apologize in Chapter 9?
(a) Have Damerel challenge him to a duel.
(b) Break off their engagement.
(c) Tell his father what he did.
(d) Report him to the authorities.
10. How is Venetia dressed at the beginning of Chapter 19?
(a) In her country style clothes.
(b) In clothes warmer than the season requires.
(c) In the latest fashion.
(d) As a boy.
11. Who is Mrs. Scorrier?
(a) Damerel's aunt.
(b) Undershaw's new housekeeper.
(c) Conway's mother-in-law.
(d) Conway's wife's nurse.
12. What does Venetia finally agree with Mrs. Hendred about in Chapter 18?
(a) That Yardley is a good match for her.
(b) That it wouldn't do for her to take up house.
(c) That she should give up on Damerel.
(d) That Aubrey is better off on his own.
13. What is the name of Aubrey's dog that scares Charlotte in Chapter 14?
14. Where do Sir John and Lady Denny send Oswald?
(a) To a university.
(b) On a holiday to France.
(c) To stay with his Uncle.
(d) To a monastery.
15. Why did Conway send Mrs. Scorrier to Undershaw?
(a) She wants to run his estate.
(b) She lost her own home due to debt.
(c) She can't bear to be apart from her daughter.
(d) She was causing trouble for him at his post.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the servants do when Mrs. Scorrier asks them to do anything?
2. What does Damerel almost do after Oswald leaves in Chapter 9?
3. Who do Venetia and Sir Lambert encounter on the walk home in Chapter 19?
4. Why does Lady Steeple breakdown in front of Venetia in Chapter 19?
5. What does Venetia try to come up with a plan to do in Chapter 18?
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)