|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Venetia and Lady Steeple talk about when they meet for the first time?
(a) The London parties.
(b) Venetia's childhood.
(d) Venetia's financial situation.
2. Why is Venetia unable to sleep during her London trip in Chapter 16?
(a) There is a thunderstorm.
(b) She is ill.
(c) Her uncle snores loudly.
(d) She can't stop thinking of Damerel.
3. What does Mrs. Hendred think will change Venetia's mind about Yardley?
(a) A show of sensitivity.
(b) A show of intelligence.
(c) A show of ambition.
(d) A show of money.
4. Where does Venetia spot a striking woman accompanied by a man who looks like the Prince Regent?
(a) At the theater.
(b) At a cafe.
(c) At an assembly.
(d) At a park.
5. What prompts Aubrey to change his behavior towards Mrs. Scorrier in Chapter 14?
(a) Damerel tells Aubrey that Mrs. Scorrier is deformed too.
(b) Damerel tells Aubrey that he is making things hard on Venetia.
(c) Damerel tells Aubrey that Mrs. Scorrier praised him for his intelligence.
(d) Damerel tells Aubrey that Mrs. Scorrier has a large fortune.
6. What does the striking woman that Venetia sees in Chapter 18 do to Venetia?
(a) She waves at her.
(b) She grins.
(c) She blushes.
(d) She frowns.
7. What disturbs Mrs. Hendred about Venetia's conduct?
(a) That she goes out without attendants.
(b) That she cannot dance.
(c) That she lacks table manners.
(d) That she gossips.
8. What does Venetia finally agree with Mrs. Hendred about in Chapter 18?
(a) That she should give up on Damerel.
(b) That Aubrey is better off on his own.
(c) That it wouldn't do for her to take up house.
(d) That Yardley is a good match for her.
9. What does Venetia find that she enjoys doing in Chapter 16?
(a) Going to tea houses.
(b) Attending the opera.
(c) Visiting art galleries.
(d) Dressing up in new London styles.
10. According to Venetia, what does she have a time limit to do in Chapter 18?
(a) Raise money.
(b) Come up with a plan.
(c) Meet her mother.
(d) Find a husband.
11. What does Sir Lambert apologize to Venetia for in Chapter 19?
(a) Saying that Lady Steeple was prettier than Venetia.
(b) Implying that Venetia was after his money.
(c) Stealing her mother away.
(d) Kicking Venetia out of Lady Steeple's room.
12. Why did Conway send Mrs. Scorrier to Undershaw?
(a) She lost her own home due to debt.
(b) She was causing trouble for him at his post.
(c) She wants to run his estate.
(d) She can't bear to be apart from her daughter.
13. Who does Venetia receive a brief note from in Chapter 13?
14. How does Aubrey respond when Mrs. Scorrier picks fights with him?
(a) He storms out of the house.
(b) He retreats to his bedroom.
(c) He is more than happy to fight back.
(d) He politely agrees with her.
15. What does Lady Steeple tell Venetia that she never wanted in Chapter 19?
(b) To get married.
(c) A career.
(d) To live in the country.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the striking woman who Venetia sees in Chapter 18?
2. Who is Sir Lambert?
3. Why does Venetia visit a neighbor in Chapter 15?
4. What does Oswald seek from Damerel when he intercepts him on the way home in Chapter 9?
5. What does Oswald complain to Damerel about in Chapter 9?
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)