|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Charlotte's demeanor described to the reader?
(a) As snooty and dull.
(b) As pleasant, but scared.
(c) As bold and brash.
(d) As demure yet confident.
2. How does Aubrey respond when Mrs. Scorrier picks fights with him?
(a) He is more than happy to fight back.
(b) He storms out of the house.
(c) He politely agrees with her.
(d) He retreats to his bedroom.
3. Who does Venetia receive a brief note from in Chapter 13?
4. What disturbs Mrs. Hendred about Venetia's conduct?
(a) That she lacks table manners.
(b) That she cannot dance.
(c) That she gossips.
(d) That she goes out without attendants.
5. How is Sir Lambert described?
(a) As flirtatious.
(b) As quiet.
(c) As standoffish.
(d) As jolly.
6. What does Venetia set out to find on the morning after she finds out about her mother?
(a) Her birth certificate.
(b) Her father's grave site.
(c) Her brother's barracks.
(d) Her mother's hotel.
7. Why does Mrs. Scorrier stop interfering in Aubrey's affairs after awhile?
(a) Venetia says Conway would want Venetia herself to handle Aubrey's affairs.
(b) Charlotte threatens to send Mrs. Scorrier away if she doesn't stop.
(c) Mrs. Scorrier can see Aubrey doesn't need her opinions.
(d) Aubrey threatens Mrs. Scorrier angrily.
8. Where does Mrs. Scorrier wish to have all of Aubrey's dogs kept?
(a) In his room.
(b) On the terrace.
(c) In a pen.
(d) In the barn.
9. What does Philip inform Mrs. Scorrier of in Chapter 15?
(a) That the family fortune is gone.
(b) That a portion of the estate land is to be sold.
(c) That Charlotte has no legal rights at Undershaw.
(d) That Conway has a gambling problem.
10. Why does Venetia visit a neighbor in Chapter 15?
(a) The neighbor owes the Undershaw Estate taxes.
(b) The neighbor's child broke a bone.
(c) To borrow a carriage.
(d) To barter for flour.
11. What had Venetia longed to do as a little girl?
(a) Keep a horse.
(b) Learn how to play violin.
(c) Attend a ball.
(d) Stay in London.
12. How does Mrs. Hendred react when she sees the striking woman in Chapter 18?
(a) She laughs.
(b) She gasps.
(c) She becomes upset.
(d) She gets excited.
13. Who is Mrs. Scorrier?
(a) Conway's wife's nurse.
(b) Conway's mother-in-law.
(c) Undershaw's new housekeeper.
(d) Damerel's aunt.
14. Why does Venetia's uncle come to Undershaw in Chapter 15?
(a) To announce a death in the family.
(b) To invite Venetia to go to London.
(c) To survey the Undershaw grounds.
(d) To take Aubrey to college.
15. How does Venetia react to Mrs. Scorrier's attempt to make amends?
(a) She makes short replies.
(b) She hugs Mrs. Scorrier.
(c) She smiles sweetly.
(d) She rolls her eyes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Damerel suggest Aubrey go in Chapter 13?
2. What do Venetia and Lady Steeple talk about when they meet for the first time?
3. Why does Aubrey's dog begin to bark in Chapter 14?
4. What does the striking woman that Venetia sees in Chapter 18 do to Venetia?
5. What does Aubrey tell Venetia while returning home in a buggy in Chapter 10?
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)