|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of Conway's new wife?
2. How is Venetia dressed at the beginning of Chapter 19?
(a) In clothes warmer than the season requires.
(b) In her country style clothes.
(c) As a boy.
(d) In the latest fashion.
3. Who does Venetia receive a lengthy letter from in Chapter 13?
(d) Her aunt.
4. How does Venetia react to Mrs. Scorrier's attempt to make amends?
(a) She makes short replies.
(b) She smiles sweetly.
(c) She hugs Mrs. Scorrier.
(d) She rolls her eyes.
5. What do the servants do when Mrs. Scorrier asks them to do anything?
(a) Check for Charlotte's approval.
(b) Check with Venetia first.
(c) Do the opposite.
(d) Laugh in her face.
6. How is Charlotte's demeanor described to the reader?
(a) As snooty and dull.
(b) As pleasant, but scared.
(c) As demure yet confident.
(d) As bold and brash.
7. Why does Aubrey's dog begin to bark in Chapter 14?
(a) Mrs. Scorrier hit the dog.
(b) Charlotte goes into labor.
(c) Aubrey shouts at Mrs. Scorrier.
(d) Someone is lurking outside the window.
8. What is the name of the striking woman who Venetia sees in Chapter 18?
(a) Lady Saunders.
(b) Lady Steeple.
(c) Lady Sophia.
(d) Lady Susan.
9. What does Venetia finally agree with Mrs. Hendred about in Chapter 18?
(a) That she should give up on Damerel.
(b) That Yardley is a good match for her.
(c) That it wouldn't do for her to take up house.
(d) That Aubrey is better off on his own.
10. Who does Venetia receive a brief note from in Chapter 13?
11. What is Mrs. Hendred constantly worrying about?
(a) Missing the mail.
(b) Making Venetia a good marriage match.
(c) Venetia wearing current fashions.
(d) The weather.
12. What does Oswald complain to Damerel about in Chapter 9?
(a) Oswald's father.
(b) Venetia's flirtatiousness.
(c) Damerel's actions with Venetia.
(d) Being away from London.
13. How does Venetia feel when she is busy in Chapter 16?
(a) Almost content.
(c) Like she is wasting her time.
14. Why does Mrs. Scorrier try to make amends with Venetia in Chapter 14?
(a) She genuinely likes Venetia.
(b) She wants Venetia to return to run the estate.
(c) She doesn't want people to think she chased Venetia out of her home.
(d) She realizes Venetia will marry a powerful man.
15. Where does Damerel suggest Aubrey go in Chapter 13?
(a) A hospital.
(b) A monastery.
(c) To stay with family in Londin.
(d) Damerel's house.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Scorrier stop interfering in Aubrey's affairs after awhile?
2. What does Venetia tell her aunt at the end of Chapter 19?
3. What does Lady Steeple tell Venetia that she never wanted in Chapter 19?
4. Why do Sir John and Lady Denny send Oswald away?
5. What does Mrs. Hendred think about Yardley as possible husband for Venetia?
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)