|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lady Steeple learn about Venetia that she finds horrible?
(a) That she isn't married.
(b) That she was kicked out of her home.
(c) That her father is dead.
(d) That she lived in isolation.
2. What prompts Aubrey to change his behavior towards Mrs. Scorrier in Chapter 14?
(a) Damerel tells Aubrey that Mrs. Scorrier is deformed too.
(b) Damerel tells Aubrey that Mrs. Scorrier praised him for his intelligence.
(c) Damerel tells Aubrey that Mrs. Scorrier has a large fortune.
(d) Damerel tells Aubrey that he is making things hard on Venetia.
3. What does Damerel manage to do after just a few moments in Chapter 12?
(a) Offend Charlotte.
(b) Bring Charlotte out of her shell.
(c) Frighten Charlotte.
(d) Figure out Charlotte is sick.
4. Why does Mrs. Scorrier stop interfering in Aubrey's affairs after awhile?
(a) Mrs. Scorrier can see Aubrey doesn't need her opinions.
(b) Aubrey threatens Mrs. Scorrier angrily.
(c) Venetia says Conway would want Venetia herself to handle Aubrey's affairs.
(d) Charlotte threatens to send Mrs. Scorrier away if she doesn't stop.
5. What does Sir Lambert apologize to Venetia for in Chapter 19?
(a) Implying that Venetia was after his money.
(b) Saying that Lady Steeple was prettier than Venetia.
(c) Kicking Venetia out of Lady Steeple's room.
(d) Stealing her mother away.
6. What is the name of the striking woman who Venetia sees in Chapter 18?
(a) Lady Steeple.
(b) Lady Sophia.
(c) Lady Susan.
(d) Lady Saunders.
7. What had Venetia longed to do as a little girl?
(a) Attend a ball.
(b) Stay in London.
(c) Keep a horse.
(d) Learn how to play violin.
8. What does Aubrey tell Venetia while returning home in a buggy in Chapter 10?
(a) That it would make him happy if she married Damerel.
(b) That she should encourage Yardley's affections.
(c) That he would be surprised if she ever got married.
(d) To take her inheritance and go to London.
9. Where does Venetia spot a striking woman accompanied by a man who looks like the Prince Regent?
(a) At the theater.
(b) At a cafe.
(c) At an assembly.
(d) At a park.
10. How does Mrs. Hendred react when she sees the striking woman in Chapter 18?
(a) She gets excited.
(b) She laughs.
(c) She becomes upset.
(d) She gasps.
11. Why do Sir John and Lady Denny send Oswald away?
(a) He threatens to harm Damerel.
(b) The villagers gossip about him.
(c) He requests an adventure.
(d) They are worried about his behavior.
12. What causes Venetia to feel depressed in Chapter 16?
(a) Thinking of Damerel.
(b) The sudden appearance of Yardley.
(c) A letter from Mrs. Denny.
(d) Having no female friends her own age.
13. What does Lady Denny worry about once she realizes that Venetia loves Damerel?
(a) That Conway will disown her.
(b) That Venetia will lose her inheritance.
(c) That Venetia will run away to be with him.
(d) That they might marry.
14. What does Venetia try to come up with a plan to do in Chapter 18?
(a) Get Conway to return to Undershaw.
(b) Feign illness.
(c) Move permanently to London.
(d) Win Damerel back.
15. Who is Sir Lambert?
(a) An acquaintance of Venetia's uncle.
(b) Venetia's latest suitor.
(c) Lady Steeple's husband.
(d) A politician.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Damerel react to the news that Venetia plans to set up a house for herself?
2. What does Venetia have to figure out at the end of Chapter 17?
3. What does Lady Steeple tell Venetia that she never wanted in Chapter 19?
4. Who does Venetia receive a brief note from in Chapter 13?
5. Where do Sir John and Lady Denny send Oswald?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)