|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Damerel react to the news that Venetia plans to set up a house for herself?
(a) He applauds her for it.
(b) He offers to help her find a property.
(c) He laughs at her naivete.
(d) He tells her she must not.
2. How is Venetia dressed at the beginning of Chapter 19?
(a) In clothes warmer than the season requires.
(b) In the latest fashion.
(c) As a boy.
(d) In her country style clothes.
3. According to Mrs. Scorrier, what does Charlotte have a horror of?
(d) The dark.
4. What does Oswald seek from Damerel when he intercepts him on the way home in Chapter 9?
(a) A duel.
(b) An apology.
(c) A promise.
5. What does Venetia try to come up with a plan to do in Chapter 18?
(a) Move permanently to London.
(b) Win Damerel back.
(c) Feign illness.
(d) Get Conway to return to Undershaw.
6. Why is Venetia unable to sleep during her London trip in Chapter 16?
(a) There is a thunderstorm.
(b) She can't stop thinking of Damerel.
(c) Her uncle snores loudly.
(d) She is ill.
7. What causes Venetia to feel depressed in Chapter 16?
(a) Thinking of Damerel.
(b) Having no female friends her own age.
(c) A letter from Mrs. Denny.
(d) The sudden appearance of Yardley.
8. What does Oswald complain to Damerel about in Chapter 9?
(a) Damerel's actions with Venetia.
(b) Being away from London.
(c) Venetia's flirtatiousness.
(d) Oswald's father.
9. How does Venetia feel when she is busy in Chapter 16?
(a) Almost content.
(b) Like she is wasting her time.
10. Where does Venetia spot a striking woman accompanied by a man who looks like the Prince Regent?
(a) At an assembly.
(b) At the theater.
(c) At a park.
(d) At a cafe.
11. What does Philip inform Mrs. Scorrier of in Chapter 15?
(a) That Charlotte has no legal rights at Undershaw.
(b) That a portion of the estate land is to be sold.
(c) That the family fortune is gone.
(d) That Conway has a gambling problem.
12. What does Mrs. Hendred think will change Venetia's mind about Yardley?
(a) A show of sensitivity.
(b) A show of intelligence.
(c) A show of ambition.
(d) A show of money.
13. What does Venetia tell her aunt at the end of Chapter 19?
(a) That she is already married.
(b) That her mother invited Venetia to live with her.
(c) That she is going home.
(d) That she forgave her father.
14. What does Lady Denny worry about once she realizes that Venetia loves Damerel?
(a) That Venetia will lose her inheritance.
(b) That Conway will disown her.
(c) That Venetia will run away to be with him.
(d) That they might marry.
15. How is Sir Lambert described?
(a) As jolly.
(b) As quiet.
(c) As standoffish.
(d) As flirtatious.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mrs. Hendred react when she sees the striking woman in Chapter 18?
2. Why does Aubrey's dog begin to bark in Chapter 14?
3. Where does Mrs. Scorrier wish to have all of Aubrey's dogs kept?
4. Where does Damerel suggest Aubrey go in Chapter 13?
5. How does Mrs. Hendred know about Venetia's relationship with Damerel?
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)