|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Marston?
(a) The vicar.
(b) Damerel's servant.
(c) Oswald's friend.
(d) A squire.
2. What prompts Aubrey to change his behavior towards Mrs. Scorrier in Chapter 14?
(a) Damerel tells Aubrey that Mrs. Scorrier has a large fortune.
(b) Damerel tells Aubrey that Mrs. Scorrier praised him for his intelligence.
(c) Damerel tells Aubrey that he is making things hard on Venetia.
(d) Damerel tells Aubrey that Mrs. Scorrier is deformed too.
3. What does Mrs. Hendred think about Yardley as possible husband for Venetia?
(a) She disapproves of his arrogance.
(b) She suspects he is penniless.
(c) She approves of and encourages him.
(d) She likes him. but doesn't think he's a good match for Venetia.
4. What does the striking woman that Venetia sees in Chapter 18 do to Venetia?
(a) She waves at her.
(b) She grins.
(c) She blushes.
(d) She frowns.
5. Why does Venetia visit a neighbor in Chapter 15?
(a) To barter for flour.
(b) The neighbor owes the Undershaw Estate taxes.
(c) The neighbor's child broke a bone.
(d) To borrow a carriage.
6. What does Mrs. Hendred think will change Venetia's mind about Yardley?
(a) A show of sensitivity.
(b) A show of money.
(c) A show of ambition.
(d) A show of intelligence.
7. What does Lady Steeple learn about Venetia that she finds horrible?
(a) That she isn't married.
(b) That she lived in isolation.
(c) That her father is dead.
(d) That she was kicked out of her home.
8. What causes Venetia to feel depressed in Chapter 16?
(a) A letter from Mrs. Denny.
(b) Having no female friends her own age.
(c) Thinking of Damerel.
(d) The sudden appearance of Yardley.
9. What disturbs Mrs. Hendred about Venetia's conduct?
(a) That she cannot dance.
(b) That she lacks table manners.
(c) That she gossips.
(d) That she goes out without attendants.
10. Who is Sir Lambert?
(a) A politician.
(b) Venetia's latest suitor.
(c) Lady Steeple's husband.
(d) An acquaintance of Venetia's uncle.
11. What does Damerel manage to do after just a few moments in Chapter 12?
(a) Frighten Charlotte.
(b) Figure out Charlotte is sick.
(c) Bring Charlotte out of her shell.
(d) Offend Charlotte.
12. What is the name of Aubrey's dog that scares Charlotte in Chapter 14?
13. What does Venetia find that she enjoys doing in Chapter 16?
(a) Dressing up in new London styles.
(b) Going to tea houses.
(c) Visiting art galleries.
(d) Attending the opera.
14. How does Mrs. Hendred react when she sees the striking woman in Chapter 18?
(a) She gasps.
(b) She becomes upset.
(c) She laughs.
(d) She gets excited.
15. Where does Venetia spot a striking woman accompanied by a man who looks like the Prince Regent?
(a) At the theater.
(b) At a park.
(c) At an assembly.
(d) At a cafe.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Scorrier demand of Venetia in Chapter 13?
2. According to Mrs. Hendred, why must Venetia not meet with the striking woman in Chapter 18?
3. Who do Venetia and Sir Lambert encounter on the walk home in Chapter 19?
4. Where does Mrs. Scorrier wish to have all of Aubrey's dogs kept?
5. What do the servants do when Mrs. Scorrier asks them to do anything?
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)