|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Mrs. Hendred constantly worrying about?
(a) Missing the mail.
(b) The weather.
(c) Making Venetia a good marriage match.
(d) Venetia wearing current fashions.
2. Where does Damerel take Aubrey in Chapter 10?
3. What does Venetia finally agree with Mrs. Hendred about in Chapter 18?
(a) That she should give up on Damerel.
(b) That Yardley is a good match for her.
(c) That it wouldn't do for her to take up house.
(d) That Aubrey is better off on his own.
4. What does Venetia threaten to do if Oswald does not apologize in Chapter 9?
(a) Have Damerel challenge him to a duel.
(b) Report him to the authorities.
(c) Break off their engagement.
(d) Tell his father what he did.
5. What does Venetia hope for while walking with Sir Lambert down the street in Chapter 19?
(a) That someone will rescue her.
(b) That someone will mistake them for a couple.
(c) That someone will still want to marry her.
(d) That someone will gossip about them.
6. How is Charlotte's demeanor described to the reader?
(a) As bold and brash.
(b) As pleasant, but scared.
(c) As snooty and dull.
(d) As demure yet confident.
7. What do the dog that angers Mrs. Scorrier and Charlotte have in common?
(a) They both like to eat carrots.
(b) They are both pregnant.
(c) They are both blue-eyed.
(d) They are both named after royalty.
8. What does Venetia tell her aunt at the end of Chapter 19?
(a) That she is already married.
(b) That she is going home.
(c) That she forgave her father.
(d) That her mother invited Venetia to live with her.
9. What does Mrs. Hendred think will change Venetia's mind about Yardley?
(a) A show of sensitivity.
(b) A show of intelligence.
(c) A show of money.
(d) A show of ambition.
10. What does Sir Lambert apologize to Venetia for in Chapter 19?
(a) Kicking Venetia out of Lady Steeple's room.
(b) Saying that Lady Steeple was prettier than Venetia.
(c) Implying that Venetia was after his money.
(d) Stealing her mother away.
11. What does Venetia realize about Damerel's feelings in Chapter 17?
(a) That he was never interested in her romantically.
(b) That he is still in love with Lady Sophia.
(c) That he gave her up for the sake of a scruple.
(d) That she mistook his proposal as teasing.
12. How does Mrs. Hendred know about Venetia's relationship with Damerel?
(a) Damerel sent a letter to Venetia.
(b) Oswald mentioned it to her.
(c) Lady Denny wrote her a letter.
(d) Venetia spoke his name in her sleep.
13. Why does Yardley go to London?
(a) For a doctor's appointment.
(b) To shop for new suits.
(c) For a political rally.
(d) To meet a friend on business.
14. How does Damerel react to the news that Venetia plans to set up a house for herself?
(a) He laughs at her naivete.
(b) He applauds her for it.
(c) He tells her she must not.
(d) He offers to help her find a property.
15. Where does Damerel suggest Aubrey go in Chapter 13?
(a) Damerel's house.
(b) To stay with family in Londin.
(c) A monastery.
(d) A hospital.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Sir John and Lady Denny send Oswald?
2. Why is Venetia unable to sleep during her London trip in Chapter 16?
3. What does Mrs. Scorrier demand of Venetia in Chapter 13?
4. What does Lady Steeple tell Venetia that she never wanted in Chapter 19?
5. What does Lady Steeple learn about Venetia that she finds horrible?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)