|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the servants do when Mrs. Scorrier asks them to do anything?
(a) Check for Charlotte's approval.
(b) Laugh in her face.
(c) Do the opposite.
(d) Check with Venetia first.
2. What causes Venetia to feel depressed in Chapter 16?
(a) A letter from Mrs. Denny.
(b) Thinking of Damerel.
(c) The sudden appearance of Yardley.
(d) Having no female friends her own age.
3. Why does Lady Steeple breakdown in front of Venetia in Chapter 19?
(a) She feels guilty for abandoning her children.
(b) She is sad her past is affecting Venetia's marriage prospects.
(c) She is upset that she is old enough to have a grown-up daughter.
(d) She is saddened to hear her favorite dog died.
4. What does Venetia realize about Damerel's feelings in Chapter 17?
(a) That he gave her up for the sake of a scruple.
(b) That he was never interested in her romantically.
(c) That he is still in love with Lady Sophia.
(d) That she mistook his proposal as teasing.
5. What is Mrs. Hendred constantly worrying about?
(a) Missing the mail.
(b) The weather.
(c) Making Venetia a good marriage match.
(d) Venetia wearing current fashions.
6. What disturbs Mrs. Hendred about Venetia's conduct?
(a) That she gossips.
(b) That she goes out without attendants.
(c) That she cannot dance.
(d) That she lacks table manners.
7. Why is Venetia unable to sleep during her London trip in Chapter 16?
(a) There is a thunderstorm.
(b) She can't stop thinking of Damerel.
(c) She is ill.
(d) Her uncle snores loudly.
8. Why does Mrs. Scorrier try to make amends with Venetia in Chapter 14?
(a) She doesn't want people to think she chased Venetia out of her home.
(b) She realizes Venetia will marry a powerful man.
(c) She wants Venetia to return to run the estate.
(d) She genuinely likes Venetia.
9. What does Venetia try to come up with a plan to do in Chapter 18?
(a) Get Conway to return to Undershaw.
(b) Win Damerel back.
(c) Move permanently to London.
(d) Feign illness.
10. What does Mrs. Scorrier demand of Venetia in Chapter 13?
(a) To treat Charlotte like a sister.
(b) To stop Damerel's visits to Undershaw.
(c) To pick and marry a suitor.
(d) To stop handling the estate finances.
11. What does Lady Denny worry about once she realizes that Venetia loves Damerel?
(a) That Conway will disown her.
(b) That Venetia will lose her inheritance.
(c) That Venetia will run away to be with him.
(d) That they might marry.
12. Who is Marston?
(a) Damerel's servant.
(b) A squire.
(c) Oswald's friend.
(d) The vicar.
13. What does Lady Steeple tell Venetia that she never wanted in Chapter 19?
(a) To get married.
(b) A career.
(d) To live in the country.
14. What does Oswald seek from Damerel when he intercepts him on the way home in Chapter 9?
(a) An apology.
(b) A promise.
(d) A duel.
15. Where does Mrs. Scorrier wish to have all of Aubrey's dogs kept?
(a) In a pen.
(b) In his room.
(c) On the terrace.
(d) In the barn.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Venetia dressed at the beginning of Chapter 19?
2. How does Aubrey respond when Mrs. Scorrier picks fights with him?
3. What does Venetia threaten to do if Oswald does not apologize in Chapter 9?
4. Why do Sir John and Lady Denny send Oswald away?
5. Where does Venetia go following her visit with her uncle in Chapter 15?
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)