|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Damerel take Aubrey in Chapter 10?
2. What disturbs Mrs. Hendred about Venetia's conduct?
(a) That she gossips.
(b) That she cannot dance.
(c) That she goes out without attendants.
(d) That she lacks table manners.
3. What does Mrs. Scorrier demand of Venetia in Chapter 13?
(a) To treat Charlotte like a sister.
(b) To stop Damerel's visits to Undershaw.
(c) To pick and marry a suitor.
(d) To stop handling the estate finances.
4. Where do Sir John and Lady Denny send Oswald?
(a) To a monastery.
(b) To stay with his Uncle.
(c) To a university.
(d) On a holiday to France.
5. What does Venetia try to come up with a plan to do in Chapter 18?
(a) Feign illness.
(b) Win Damerel back.
(c) Get Conway to return to Undershaw.
(d) Move permanently to London.
6. Who is Marston?
(a) The vicar.
(b) Oswald's friend.
(c) A squire.
(d) Damerel's servant.
7. What does Venetia threaten to do if Oswald does not apologize in Chapter 9?
(a) Have Damerel challenge him to a duel.
(b) Report him to the authorities.
(c) Tell his father what he did.
(d) Break off their engagement.
8. How is Venetia dressed at the beginning of Chapter 19?
(a) As a boy.
(b) In clothes warmer than the season requires.
(c) In her country style clothes.
(d) In the latest fashion.
9. Why does Mrs. Scorrier try to make amends with Venetia in Chapter 14?
(a) She genuinely likes Venetia.
(b) She doesn't want people to think she chased Venetia out of her home.
(c) She realizes Venetia will marry a powerful man.
(d) She wants Venetia to return to run the estate.
10. Why did Conway send Mrs. Scorrier to Undershaw?
(a) She was causing trouble for him at his post.
(b) She lost her own home due to debt.
(c) She can't bear to be apart from her daughter.
(d) She wants to run his estate.
11. What does Venetia realize about Damerel's feelings in Chapter 17?
(a) That she mistook his proposal as teasing.
(b) That he is still in love with Lady Sophia.
(c) That he gave her up for the sake of a scruple.
(d) That he was never interested in her romantically.
12. Who is Sir Lambert?
(a) An acquaintance of Venetia's uncle.
(b) Venetia's latest suitor.
(c) Lady Steeple's husband.
(d) A politician.
13. What prompts Aubrey to change his behavior towards Mrs. Scorrier in Chapter 14?
(a) Damerel tells Aubrey that Mrs. Scorrier praised him for his intelligence.
(b) Damerel tells Aubrey that he is making things hard on Venetia.
(c) Damerel tells Aubrey that Mrs. Scorrier is deformed too.
(d) Damerel tells Aubrey that Mrs. Scorrier has a large fortune.
14. What is the name of the striking woman who Venetia sees in Chapter 18?
(a) Lady Saunders.
(b) Lady Steeple.
(c) Lady Sophia.
(d) Lady Susan.
15. How is the restaurant that Yardley takes Mrs. Hendred and Venetia to in Chapter 18 described?
(a) As rustic.
(b) As fancy.
(c) As modern.
(d) As shabby.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sir Lambert apologize to Venetia for in Chapter 19?
2. What do the servants do when Mrs. Scorrier asks them to do anything?
3. According to Mrs. Scorrier, what does Charlotte have a horror of?
4. Who is Mrs. Scorrier?
5. Why does Mrs. Priddy dote on Charlotte?
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)