|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Mrs. Scorrier wish to have all of Aubrey's dogs kept?
(a) In a pen.
(b) In his room.
(c) In the barn.
(d) On the terrace.
2. Who is Mrs. Scorrier?
(a) Damerel's aunt.
(b) Conway's wife's nurse.
(c) Undershaw's new housekeeper.
(d) Conway's mother-in-law.
3. Who is Sir Lambert?
(a) Venetia's latest suitor.
(b) A politician.
(c) An acquaintance of Venetia's uncle.
(d) Lady Steeple's husband.
4. Who is Marston?
(a) Oswald's friend.
(b) A squire.
(c) Damerel's servant.
(d) The vicar.
5. What do Venetia and Lady Steeple talk about when they meet for the first time?
(a) Venetia's financial situation.
(b) The London parties.
(d) Venetia's childhood.
6. According to Mrs. Hendred, why must Venetia not meet with the striking woman in Chapter 18?
(a) It would upset Damerel.
(b) It will ruin her reputation.
(c) It could be dangerous.
(d) It will only cause heart break.
7. Why does Aubrey's dog begin to bark in Chapter 14?
(a) Charlotte goes into labor.
(b) Someone is lurking outside the window.
(c) Aubrey shouts at Mrs. Scorrier.
(d) Mrs. Scorrier hit the dog.
8. What does Philip inform Mrs. Scorrier of in Chapter 15?
(a) That Conway has a gambling problem.
(b) That the family fortune is gone.
(c) That a portion of the estate land is to be sold.
(d) That Charlotte has no legal rights at Undershaw.
9. What does Mrs. Hendred think will change Venetia's mind about Yardley?
(a) A show of intelligence.
(b) A show of ambition.
(c) A show of money.
(d) A show of sensitivity.
10. What does Mrs. Scorrier demand of Venetia in Chapter 13?
(a) To treat Charlotte like a sister.
(b) To stop Damerel's visits to Undershaw.
(c) To stop handling the estate finances.
(d) To pick and marry a suitor.
11. Why does Lady Steeple breakdown in front of Venetia in Chapter 19?
(a) She is sad her past is affecting Venetia's marriage prospects.
(b) She feels guilty for abandoning her children.
(c) She is saddened to hear her favorite dog died.
(d) She is upset that she is old enough to have a grown-up daughter.
12. Where does Damerel take Aubrey in Chapter 10?
13. What does Venetia try to come up with a plan to do in Chapter 18?
(a) Move permanently to London.
(b) Get Conway to return to Undershaw.
(c) Feign illness.
(d) Win Damerel back.
14. Who does Venetia receive a lengthy letter from in Chapter 13?
(a) Her aunt.
15. How is Sir Lambert described?
(a) As jolly.
(b) As standoffish.
(c) As flirtatious.
(d) As quiet.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Venetia go following her visit with her uncle in Chapter 15?
2. Why is Venetia unable to sleep during her London trip in Chapter 16?
3. How does Venetia react to Mrs. Scorrier's attempt to make amends?
4. Why does Venetia visit a neighbor in Chapter 15?
5. What does Oswald complain to Damerel about in Chapter 9?
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)