|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Mrs. Scorrier, what does Charlotte have a horror of?
(c) The dark.
2. Why do Sir John and Lady Denny send Oswald away?
(a) He threatens to harm Damerel.
(b) He requests an adventure.
(c) The villagers gossip about him.
(d) They are worried about his behavior.
3. What disturbs Mrs. Hendred about Venetia's conduct?
(a) That she gossips.
(b) That she cannot dance.
(c) That she lacks table manners.
(d) That she goes out without attendants.
4. What causes Venetia to feel depressed in Chapter 16?
(a) Having no female friends her own age.
(b) A letter from Mrs. Denny.
(c) Thinking of Damerel.
(d) The sudden appearance of Yardley.
5. What does Aubrey tell Venetia while returning home in a buggy in Chapter 10?
(a) That she should encourage Yardley's affections.
(b) That it would make him happy if she married Damerel.
(c) That he would be surprised if she ever got married.
(d) To take her inheritance and go to London.
6. Why does Mrs. Scorrier stop interfering in Aubrey's affairs after awhile?
(a) Aubrey threatens Mrs. Scorrier angrily.
(b) Charlotte threatens to send Mrs. Scorrier away if she doesn't stop.
(c) Venetia says Conway would want Venetia herself to handle Aubrey's affairs.
(d) Mrs. Scorrier can see Aubrey doesn't need her opinions.
7. How does Mrs. Hendred react when she sees the striking woman in Chapter 18?
(a) She gets excited.
(b) She gasps.
(c) She becomes upset.
(d) She laughs.
8. Where does Venetia spot a striking woman accompanied by a man who looks like the Prince Regent?
(a) At the theater.
(b) At a cafe.
(c) At an assembly.
(d) At a park.
9. What does Mrs. Hendred think about Yardley as possible husband for Venetia?
(a) She suspects he is penniless.
(b) She likes him. but doesn't think he's a good match for Venetia.
(c) She disapproves of his arrogance.
(d) She approves of and encourages him.
10. How does Aubrey respond when Mrs. Scorrier picks fights with him?
(a) He storms out of the house.
(b) He politely agrees with her.
(c) He is more than happy to fight back.
(d) He retreats to his bedroom.
11. What does Oswald seek from Damerel when he intercepts him on the way home in Chapter 9?
(a) An apology.
(c) A promise.
(d) A duel.
12. Why does Mrs. Scorrier try to make amends with Venetia in Chapter 14?
(a) She realizes Venetia will marry a powerful man.
(b) She genuinely likes Venetia.
(c) She wants Venetia to return to run the estate.
(d) She doesn't want people to think she chased Venetia out of her home.
13. How is Sir Lambert described?
(a) As quiet.
(b) As flirtatious.
(c) As jolly.
(d) As standoffish.
14. What does Venetia realize about Damerel's feelings in Chapter 17?
(a) That he is still in love with Lady Sophia.
(b) That she mistook his proposal as teasing.
(c) That he gave her up for the sake of a scruple.
(d) That he was never interested in her romantically.
15. How is the restaurant that Yardley takes Mrs. Hendred and Venetia to in Chapter 18 described?
(a) As rustic.
(b) As modern.
(c) As shabby.
(d) As fancy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Sir John and Lady Denny send Oswald?
2. What is the name of Aubrey's dog that scares Charlotte in Chapter 14?
3. What prompts Aubrey to change his behavior towards Mrs. Scorrier in Chapter 14?
4. Who is Mrs. Scorrier?
5. Who is the striking woman who Venetia saw in Chapter 18?
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)