|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mrs. Hendred think will change Venetia's mind about Yardley?
(a) A show of intelligence.
(b) A show of money.
(c) A show of ambition.
(d) A show of sensitivity.
2. Who is Sir Lambert?
(a) Lady Steeple's husband.
(b) A politician.
(c) An acquaintance of Venetia's uncle.
(d) Venetia's latest suitor.
3. Where does Damerel take Aubrey in Chapter 10?
4. Why is Venetia unable to sleep during her London trip in Chapter 16?
(a) She is ill.
(b) There is a thunderstorm.
(c) She can't stop thinking of Damerel.
(d) Her uncle snores loudly.
5. How is the restaurant that Yardley takes Mrs. Hendred and Venetia to in Chapter 18 described?
(a) As fancy.
(b) As modern.
(c) As shabby.
(d) As rustic.
6. Why does Aubrey's dog begin to bark in Chapter 14?
(a) Someone is lurking outside the window.
(b) Mrs. Scorrier hit the dog.
(c) Charlotte goes into labor.
(d) Aubrey shouts at Mrs. Scorrier.
7. Why does Yardley go to London?
(a) For a political rally.
(b) For a doctor's appointment.
(c) To meet a friend on business.
(d) To shop for new suits.
8. What does Venetia threaten to do if Oswald does not apologize in Chapter 9?
(a) Tell his father what he did.
(b) Report him to the authorities.
(c) Have Damerel challenge him to a duel.
(d) Break off their engagement.
9. What does Venetia have to figure out at the end of Chapter 17?
(a) How to get Damerel back.
(b) How to apologize to Yardley.
(c) How to outsmart her aunt.
(d) How to find Conway.
10. Where does Mrs. Scorrier wish to have all of Aubrey's dogs kept?
(a) In a pen.
(b) On the terrace.
(c) In his room.
(d) In the barn.
11. How does Damerel react to the news that Venetia plans to set up a house for herself?
(a) He offers to help her find a property.
(b) He tells her she must not.
(c) He applauds her for it.
(d) He laughs at her naivete.
12. What is the name of the striking woman who Venetia sees in Chapter 18?
(a) Lady Sophia.
(b) Lady Saunders.
(c) Lady Susan.
(d) Lady Steeple.
13. Who is Marston?
(a) A squire.
(b) Oswald's friend.
(c) Damerel's servant.
(d) The vicar.
14. Why does Mrs. Scorrier stop interfering in Aubrey's affairs after awhile?
(a) Aubrey threatens Mrs. Scorrier angrily.
(b) Mrs. Scorrier can see Aubrey doesn't need her opinions.
(c) Charlotte threatens to send Mrs. Scorrier away if she doesn't stop.
(d) Venetia says Conway would want Venetia herself to handle Aubrey's affairs.
15. Where does Damerel suggest Aubrey go in Chapter 13?
(a) A monastery.
(b) Damerel's house.
(c) A hospital.
(d) To stay with family in Londin.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Mrs. Hendred, why must Venetia not meet with the striking woman in Chapter 18?
2. Where does Venetia go following her visit with her uncle in Chapter 15?
3. Why does Venetia visit a neighbor in Chapter 15?
4. Why does Mrs. Scorrier try to make amends with Venetia in Chapter 14?
5. What does Venetia realize about Damerel's feelings in Chapter 17?
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)