|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Oswald seek from Damerel when he intercepts him on the way home in Chapter 9?
(a) An apology.
(b) A duel.
(d) A promise.
2. What does Mrs. Hendred think about Yardley as possible husband for Venetia?
(a) She suspects he is penniless.
(b) She likes him. but doesn't think he's a good match for Venetia.
(c) She approves of and encourages him.
(d) She disapproves of his arrogance.
3. What does Venetia threaten to do if Oswald does not apologize in Chapter 9?
(a) Report him to the authorities.
(b) Tell his father what he did.
(c) Break off their engagement.
(d) Have Damerel challenge him to a duel.
4. How does Aubrey respond when Mrs. Scorrier picks fights with him?
(a) He is more than happy to fight back.
(b) He storms out of the house.
(c) He politely agrees with her.
(d) He retreats to his bedroom.
5. According to Mrs. Hendred, why must Venetia not meet with the striking woman in Chapter 18?
(a) It could be dangerous.
(b) It will ruin her reputation.
(c) It will only cause heart break.
(d) It would upset Damerel.
6. What does Mrs. Hendred think will change Venetia's mind about Yardley?
(a) A show of sensitivity.
(b) A show of intelligence.
(c) A show of ambition.
(d) A show of money.
7. Why do Sir John and Lady Denny send Oswald away?
(a) He threatens to harm Damerel.
(b) He requests an adventure.
(c) They are worried about his behavior.
(d) The villagers gossip about him.
8. Who is Sir Lambert?
(a) An acquaintance of Venetia's uncle.
(b) Lady Steeple's husband.
(c) A politician.
(d) Venetia's latest suitor.
9. Where does Damerel take Aubrey in Chapter 10?
10. Why is Venetia unable to sleep during her London trip in Chapter 16?
(a) She is ill.
(b) There is a thunderstorm.
(c) She can't stop thinking of Damerel.
(d) Her uncle snores loudly.
11. What causes Venetia to feel depressed in Chapter 16?
(a) Having no female friends her own age.
(b) The sudden appearance of Yardley.
(c) A letter from Mrs. Denny.
(d) Thinking of Damerel.
12. How does Damerel react to the news that Venetia plans to set up a house for herself?
(a) He tells her she must not.
(b) He applauds her for it.
(c) He offers to help her find a property.
(d) He laughs at her naivete.
13. Why does Lady Steeple breakdown in front of Venetia in Chapter 19?
(a) She is upset that she is old enough to have a grown-up daughter.
(b) She feels guilty for abandoning her children.
(c) She is sad her past is affecting Venetia's marriage prospects.
(d) She is saddened to hear her favorite dog died.
14. What does Damerel manage to do after just a few moments in Chapter 12?
(a) Figure out Charlotte is sick.
(b) Offend Charlotte.
(c) Frighten Charlotte.
(d) Bring Charlotte out of her shell.
15. What does Damerel almost do after Oswald leaves in Chapter 9?
(b) Trip over a rake.
(c) Kisses Venetia.
(d) Slap Venetia.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Damerel suggest Aubrey go in Chapter 13?
2. How does Mrs. Hendred react when she sees the striking woman in Chapter 18?
3. What does Philip inform Mrs. Scorrier of in Chapter 15?
4. What is the name of the striking woman who Venetia sees in Chapter 18?
5. What had Venetia longed to do as a little girl?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)