|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Venetia feel when she is busy in Chapter 16?
(b) Almost content.
(c) Like she is wasting her time.
2. What prompts Aubrey to change his behavior towards Mrs. Scorrier in Chapter 14?
(a) Damerel tells Aubrey that he is making things hard on Venetia.
(b) Damerel tells Aubrey that Mrs. Scorrier is deformed too.
(c) Damerel tells Aubrey that Mrs. Scorrier praised him for his intelligence.
(d) Damerel tells Aubrey that Mrs. Scorrier has a large fortune.
3. What does Venetia try to come up with a plan to do in Chapter 18?
(a) Get Conway to return to Undershaw.
(b) Feign illness.
(c) Move permanently to London.
(d) Win Damerel back.
4. Why does Mrs. Priddy dote on Charlotte?
(a) Charlotte is pretty.
(b) Charlotte is pregnant.
(c) Charlotte and Mrs. Priddy are related.
(d) Charlotte reminds Mrs. Priddy of her dead daughter.
5. How does Venetia react to Mrs. Scorrier's attempt to make amends?
(a) She makes short replies.
(b) She smiles sweetly.
(c) She hugs Mrs. Scorrier.
(d) She rolls her eyes.
6. What does Lady Steeple learn about Venetia that she finds horrible?
(a) That she was kicked out of her home.
(b) That she isn't married.
(c) That she lived in isolation.
(d) That her father is dead.
7. Where does Venetia go following her visit with her uncle in Chapter 15?
(a) To the Priory.
(b) To say goodbye to Aubrey.
(c) To buy supplies in the village.
(d) To her room.
8. Why does Venetia's uncle come to Undershaw in Chapter 15?
(a) To announce a death in the family.
(b) To survey the Undershaw grounds.
(c) To take Aubrey to college.
(d) To invite Venetia to go to London.
9. What does Venetia realize about Damerel's feelings in Chapter 17?
(a) That he is still in love with Lady Sophia.
(b) That she mistook his proposal as teasing.
(c) That he was never interested in her romantically.
(d) That he gave her up for the sake of a scruple.
10. According to Mrs. Scorrier, what does Charlotte have a horror of?
(d) The dark.
11. Where does Mrs. Scorrier wish to have all of Aubrey's dogs kept?
(a) On the terrace.
(b) In a pen.
(c) In his room.
(d) In the barn.
12. What does Venetia threaten to do if Oswald does not apologize in Chapter 9?
(a) Report him to the authorities.
(b) Have Damerel challenge him to a duel.
(c) Tell his father what he did.
(d) Break off their engagement.
13. Why does Yardley go to London?
(a) For a doctor's appointment.
(b) To meet a friend on business.
(c) For a political rally.
(d) To shop for new suits.
14. Where does Damerel suggest Aubrey go in Chapter 13?
(a) A monastery.
(b) A hospital.
(c) Damerel's house.
(d) To stay with family in Londin.
15. Who is Sir Lambert?
(a) An acquaintance of Venetia's uncle.
(b) Venetia's latest suitor.
(c) A politician.
(d) Lady Steeple's husband.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Scorrier try to make amends with Venetia in Chapter 14?
2. Why do Sir John and Lady Denny send Oswald away?
3. What does Sir Lambert apologize to Venetia for in Chapter 19?
4. What disturbs Mrs. Hendred about Venetia's conduct?
5. What does Lady Steeple tell Venetia that she never wanted in Chapter 19?
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)