|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Venetia find that she enjoys doing in Chapter 16?
(a) Visiting art galleries.
(b) Dressing up in new London styles.
(c) Going to tea houses.
(d) Attending the opera.
2. Why does Mrs. Scorrier try to make amends with Venetia in Chapter 14?
(a) She doesn't want people to think she chased Venetia out of her home.
(b) She realizes Venetia will marry a powerful man.
(c) She genuinely likes Venetia.
(d) She wants Venetia to return to run the estate.
3. What does Lady Denny worry about once she realizes that Venetia loves Damerel?
(a) That Conway will disown her.
(b) That Venetia will lose her inheritance.
(c) That Venetia will run away to be with him.
(d) That they might marry.
4. Where does Venetia go following her visit with her uncle in Chapter 15?
(a) To buy supplies in the village.
(b) To her room.
(c) To say goodbye to Aubrey.
(d) To the Priory.
5. Why does Mrs. Priddy dote on Charlotte?
(a) Charlotte reminds Mrs. Priddy of her dead daughter.
(b) Charlotte is pregnant.
(c) Charlotte is pretty.
(d) Charlotte and Mrs. Priddy are related.
6. What causes Venetia to feel depressed in Chapter 16?
(a) Thinking of Damerel.
(b) A letter from Mrs. Denny.
(c) The sudden appearance of Yardley.
(d) Having no female friends her own age.
7. Who does Venetia receive a brief note from in Chapter 13?
8. What do the dog that angers Mrs. Scorrier and Charlotte have in common?
(a) They are both named after royalty.
(b) They both like to eat carrots.
(c) They are both pregnant.
(d) They are both blue-eyed.
9. Who is Marston?
(a) A squire.
(b) Oswald's friend.
(c) The vicar.
(d) Damerel's servant.
10. What is Mrs. Hendred constantly worrying about?
(a) Making Venetia a good marriage match.
(b) The weather.
(c) Venetia wearing current fashions.
(d) Missing the mail.
11. What does Mrs. Hendred think about Yardley as possible husband for Venetia?
(a) She approves of and encourages him.
(b) She likes him. but doesn't think he's a good match for Venetia.
(c) She suspects he is penniless.
(d) She disapproves of his arrogance.
12. Who does Venetia receive a lengthy letter from in Chapter 13?
(b) Her aunt.
13. How is Charlotte's demeanor described to the reader?
(a) As snooty and dull.
(b) As demure yet confident.
(c) As bold and brash.
(d) As pleasant, but scared.
14. What is the name of Conway's new wife?
15. According to Mrs. Hendred, why must Venetia not meet with the striking woman in Chapter 18?
(a) It will ruin her reputation.
(b) It could be dangerous.
(c) It will only cause heart break.
(d) It would upset Damerel.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Venetia try to come up with a plan to do in Chapter 18?
2. Where does Mrs. Scorrier wish to have all of Aubrey's dogs kept?
3. What does Mrs. Scorrier demand of Venetia in Chapter 13?
4. How does Venetia react to Mrs. Scorrier's attempt to make amends?
5. Why is Venetia unable to sleep during her London trip in Chapter 16?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)