|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who dies in Alyx's arms after the challenge match?
2. What does the King demand that Raine do?
3. Who was dressed up as a guard at the execution?
4. Why does Alyx berate Raine in Chapter 20?
5. Where does Alyx volunteer while staying with Judith?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pagnell do to Alyx at the wedding?
2. Why does Roger Chatworth visit the camp?
3. What happens in November, and how does it affect Alyx?
4. What news does Alyx learn of the Montgomerys?
5. Who does Alyx meet at the wedding and what does Alyx think of this person?
6. Why does Raine feel betrayed by Alyx at the fair?
7. Why does the king agree to pardon Raine?
8. What do Raine and Alyx do together at the fair?
9. Who does Alyx finally meet at the end of Chapter 14?
10. How do the convicts react when Alyx leaves the camp?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Alyx's character growth. How does her character at the beginning of the novel compare to her character at the end of the novel? How and why is she able to grow?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss conflict in the novel Velvet Song. Which characters are involved in conflicts? How do these conflicts begin, and how are they resolved? How do these conflicts affect the lives of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the author of the novel Velvet Song, Jude Deveraux. Describe her background and her career as a writer. What genre does she typically write in? What has she achieved in her career? Is she respected in her field? What is known about her writing process? Can any connections be made between the plot of the novel and the author's life?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)