|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does this laughing visitor take an instant liking to?
2. Where does Alyx volunteer while staying with Judith?
3. What do Gavin and Judith ask Alyx to do for Raine?
4. What does King Henry ignore?
5. Who has Miles agreed to marry?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Alyx realizes that she has been very selfish throughout her life, what does she do?
2. What happens during the fight between Roger and Raine?
3. What does Alyx discover after leaving the camp, and what is her reaction this news?
4. Who does Alyx meet at the wedding and what does Alyx think of this person?
5. Why does the king agree to pardon Raine?
6. How do the convicts react when Alyx leaves the camp?
7. What does Alyx notice in the moments before her execution?
8. What do Raine and Gavin do when Alyx tells them about Elizabeth and Miles?
9. What happens in November, and how does it affect Alyx?
10. Is the end of the novel a happy ending?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss conflict in the novel Velvet Song. Which characters are involved in conflicts? How do these conflicts begin, and how are they resolved? How do these conflicts affect the lives of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the antagonist of the novel, Pagnell? Why is he the antagonist of the novel? What does he do to the protagonist, Alyx? What is his purpose in the novel? What are his defining character traits?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of music in the novel Velvet Song. How has music influenced Alyx's life? How does it affect her as an adult? How does Alyx's music help her in her life?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)