|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Alyx tries to write letters to Raine in Chapter 18?
2. Who arrives at the camp at the beginning of Chapter 20?
3. Who dies in Alyx's arms after the challenge match?
4. What does Roger wish to find out from Alyx at the fair?
5. Why do Raine's men prevent Alyx from following Raine from the fair?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Alyx finally meet at the end of Chapter 14?
2. Who pulls Alyx out of the crowd at the fair and why does he do this?
3. Is the end of the novel a happy ending?
4. How do the convicts react when Alyx leaves the camp?
5. What do Raine and Gavin do when Alyx tells them about Elizabeth and Miles?
6. Who does Alyx meet at the wedding and what does Alyx think of this person?
7. What happens in November, and how does it affect Alyx?
8. Why does the king agree to pardon Raine?
9. What does Judith tell Alyx about the family feud after Alyx returns home from the fair?
10. What does the King demand that the Montgomerys do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the secondary characters in the novel Velvet Song. Which characters are considered the secondary characters? What are their storylines? Are they important to the novel? If so, why? How do they relate to the main characters?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the challenges which the characters face in the novel Velvet Song. What or who is causing these challenges, and how do the characters overcome them? What is Deveraux's purpose for including these challenges?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how Velvet Song is an example of a novel which tries to satisfy its reader. Is this common among all novels of this genre? Why might Deveraux be trying to please the audience? What might the reader be looking for from a novel such as Velvet Song?
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)