|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Alyx went to the king, how did it make Raine feel?
2. How does the crowd act when it is time for Alyx's execution?
3. What tragedy occurs at the school that Alyx opens?
4. How does Alyx feel after the birth of her baby?
5. Where does Alyx send Catherine until Christmas?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Alyx arrives at the monastery after a two-hour long journey?
2. Why does Raine feel betrayed by Alyx at the fair?
3. Who does Alyx meet at the wedding and what does Alyx think of this person?
4. Why does Brian Chatworth come to the outlaw's camp?
5. What news does Alyx learn of the Montgomerys?
6. What does Alyx notice in the moments before her execution?
7. Who pulls Alyx out of the crowd at the fair and why does he do this?
8. What does the King demand that the Montgomerys do?
9. Who does Alyx finally meet at the end of Chapter 14?
10. How do the convicts react when Alyx leaves the camp?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss conflict in the novel Velvet Song. Which characters are involved in conflicts? How do these conflicts begin, and how are they resolved? How do these conflicts affect the lives of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the antagonist of the novel, Pagnell? Why is he the antagonist of the novel? What does he do to the protagonist, Alyx? What is his purpose in the novel? What are his defining character traits?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the author of the novel Velvet Song, Jude Deveraux. Describe her background and her career as a writer. What genre does she typically write in? What has she achieved in her career? Is she respected in her field? What is known about her writing process? Can any connections be made between the plot of the novel and the author's life?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)