|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While at the fair, what do Raine and Alyx buy?
2. After riding for two hours, where do Joss and Alyx arrive?
3. What does Alyx do to try to gain the trust and friendship of the gang members?
4. Who is Alyx introduced to at the end of Chapter 15?
5. How does Alyx feel after the birth of her baby?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who pulls Alyx out of the crowd at the fair and why does he do this?
2. What does Alyx notice in the moments before her execution?
3. What does Pagnell do to Alyx at the wedding?
4. Why does the king agree to pardon Raine?
5. What do Raine and Alyx do together at the fair?
6. How do the convicts react when Alyx leaves the camp?
7. What misunderstandings had the king believed?
8. Who does Alyx finally meet at the end of Chapter 14?
9. What does Alyx discover after leaving the camp, and what is her reaction this news?
10. What do Raine and Gavin do when Alyx tells them about Elizabeth and Miles?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of jealousy in the novel Velvet Song. Which character(s) express jealousy in the novel? Why do they feel jealous? How do they convey their jealousy? Who or what are they jealous of? How does this jealousy affect their relationships?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how Velvet Song is an example of a novel which tries to satisfy its reader. Is this common among all novels of this genre? Why might Deveraux be trying to please the audience? What might the reader be looking for from a novel such as Velvet Song?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss conflict in the novel Velvet Song. Which characters are involved in conflicts? How do these conflicts begin, and how are they resolved? How do these conflicts affect the lives of the characters?
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)