|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Raine do when he and Alyx finally reunite?
2. Who arrives at the camp to accept Raine's challenge?
3. How does Alyx feel after the birth of her baby?
4. What does Elizabeth do to Pagnell when he kisses her?
5. How many days is Alyx kept prisoner by Pagnell?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens in November, and how does it affect Alyx?
2. How do the convicts react when Alyx leaves the camp?
3. Why does the king agree to pardon Raine?
4. What does Pagnell do to Alyx at the wedding?
5. Who does Alyx finally meet at the end of Chapter 14?
6. Who pulls Alyx out of the crowd at the fair and why does he do this?
7. Why does Brian Chatworth come to the outlaw's camp?
8. What misunderstandings had the king believed?
9. What do Raine and Gavin do when Alyx tells them about Elizabeth and Miles?
10. What does Judith tell Alyx about the family feud after Alyx returns home from the fair?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of misunderstandings in the novel Velvet Song. What misunderstandings take place throughout the narrative? What causes these misunderstandings? What problems do these cause, particularly between Alyx and Raine? How do these misunderstandings get cleared up?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the antagonist of the novel, Pagnell? Why is he the antagonist of the novel? What does he do to the protagonist, Alyx? What is his purpose in the novel? What are his defining character traits?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the Montgomery-Chatworth feud. Which characters are involved in this feud? How did the feud start? Does it end by the conclusion of the novel? If so, how?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)