|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Besides his health, what is Alyx worried about as she watches over Raine while he is sick?
2. What does Raine learn of his sister Mary in an urgent letter?
3. What does Alyx think of Raine's physical appearance?
4. What does the camp insist Alyx has done?
5. What does Alyx try to convince Joss to do to the person they say goodbye to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Raine tries to help steady Alyx after she stumbles off a horse?
2. What does Alyx do to Joss while sitting around the fire, and why does she do this?
3. What do Joss, Rosamund, and Alyx do while Raine battles his injuries?
4. What happens when Raine tells Alyx that they must bathe?
5. What does Raine find out from an urgent letter that arrives at the camp?
6. How does Raine react when he finds Joss and Alyx in bed together?
7. What does Pagnell do after Alyx gets away from him and his men on horseback?
8. Who do Joss and Alyx say goodbye to before leaving the camp?
9. Why does Raine decide to continue with the lie of Alyx being a man even though he knows that Alyx is actual a woman?
10. What news from Raine's family does he receive?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the antagonist of the novel, Pagnell? Why is he the antagonist of the novel? What does he do to the protagonist, Alyx? What is his purpose in the novel? What are his defining character traits?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss conflict in the novel Velvet Song. Which characters are involved in conflicts? How do these conflicts begin, and how are they resolved? How do these conflicts affect the lives of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the male lead of the novel, Raine Montgomery. What are his defining character traits? Describe his relationships with the other characters in the novel. What struggles or obstacles does he face throughout the narrative?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)