|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the woman who Joss fell in love with after nursing her?
2. When men break into Alyx's house, how do they kill her father?
3. What has king Henry declared Raine?
4. While training Alyx, what is Raine shocked by?
5. Why does Raine sympathize with Alyx while they train?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Alyx react when she finds out that Raine is aware that she is a woman?
2. What happens to Alyx when she is walking to practice one day?
3. What does Alyx insist that she has not done, and how does Raine react?
4. Why is Alyx horrified to find out that she will be Raine's servant?
5. What plan does Joss and Alyx come up with to stop Raine from leaving the camp?
6. Who do Joss and Alyx say goodbye to before leaving the camp?
7. How does Raine react when he finds Joss and Alyx in bed together?
8. What happens when Raine tells Alyx that they must bathe?
9. How does Alyx do at learning how to ride a horse?
10. What do Joss, Rosamund, and Alyx do while Raine battles his injuries?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Alyx's character growth. How does her character at the beginning of the novel compare to her character at the end of the novel? How and why is she able to grow?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of misunderstandings in the novel Velvet Song. What misunderstandings take place throughout the narrative? What causes these misunderstandings? What problems do these cause, particularly between Alyx and Raine? How do these misunderstandings get cleared up?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how Velvet Song is an example of a novel which tries to satisfy its reader. Is this common among all novels of this genre? Why might Deveraux be trying to please the audience? What might the reader be looking for from a novel such as Velvet Song?
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)