Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where will Pagnell soon be the Earl of?
2. What is the name of the village where Alyx lives at the beginning of the novel?
3. What does Raine order Alyx to do when he finally wakes up from his illness?
4. What does Joss think of Alyx's singing?
5. What happens to the man who attacks Raine?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the King demand that the Montgomerys do?
2. Describe Raine.
3. What news from Raine's family does he receive?
4. Why does the king agree to pardon Raine?
5. What lies does Alyx tell Raine to make the adulterous situation more believable?
6. Is the end of the novel a happy ending?
7. Who do Joss and Alyx say goodbye to before leaving the camp?
8. What sort of reception does Alyx receive when she returns to the camp?
9. What news does Alyx learn of the Montgomerys?
10. Why does Raine feel betrayed by Alyx at the fair?
Discuss the author of the novel Velvet Song, Jude Deveraux. Describe her background and her career as a writer. What genre does she typically write in? What has she achieved in her career? Is she respected in her field? What is known about her writing process? Can any connections be made between the plot of the novel and the author's life?
Discuss the male lead of the novel, Raine Montgomery. What are his defining character traits? Describe his relationships with the other characters in the novel. What struggles or obstacles does he face throughout the narrative?
Discuss how Velvet Song is an example of a novel which tries to satisfy its reader. Is this common among all novels of this genre? Why might Deveraux be trying to please the audience? What might the reader be looking for from a novel such as Velvet Song?
This section contains 377 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)