|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why has Alyx gained many enemies at the camp?
2. What does Alyx do to soothe Raine in Chapter 7?
3. What is the name of the woman who Joss fell in love with after nursing her?
4. What does Raine order Alyx to do when he finally wakes up from his illness?
5. What does Joss think of Alyx's singing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Alyx insist that she has not done, and how does Raine react?
2. Describe Raine.
3. Where does Alyx go after fleeing from Pagnell and his men who broke into her house?
4. How has Alyx gained enemies at the camp?
5. What plan does Joss and Alyx come up with to stop Raine from leaving the camp?
6. What happens while Alyx is at the river working on her first task?
7. What happens when Raine tells Alyx that they must bathe?
8. What lies does Alyx tell Raine to make the adulterous situation more believable?
9. What does Raine admit to Joss when he awakes from his feverish state? What does Joss admit to Raine?
10. What happens when Raine tries to help steady Alyx after she stumbles off a horse?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how Velvet Song is an example of a novel which tries to satisfy its reader. Is this common among all novels of this genre? Why might Deveraux be trying to please the audience? What might the reader be looking for from a novel such as Velvet Song?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of music in the novel Velvet Song. How has music influenced Alyx's life? How does it affect her as an adult? How does Alyx's music help her in her life?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the setting of the novel Velvet Song. Where and when is the novel set? How does this affect the narrative? What role does the setting play in the novel? How much does the time period influence the events and actions that take place in the novel?
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)