Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Alyx watch while Raine bathes?
2. Who tells Alyx that she must go into hiding after she is declared a wanted criminal?
3. Who will do this to Raine if he returns to England?
4. Who gives Alyx an instrument when she is ten?
5. What does Alyx contemplate doing to prevent any danger coming to Raine?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Raine and Alyx do together at the fair?
2. Describe the protagonist of the novel.
3. When Alyx realizes that she has been very selfish throughout her life, what does she do?
4. What does the King demand that the Montgomerys do?
5. What happens when Raine tries to help steady Alyx after she stumbles off a horse?
6. Who does Alyx meet at the wedding and what does Alyx think of this person?
7. What happens during the fight between Roger and Raine?
8. What misunderstandings had the king believed?
9. What happens when Alyx arrives at the monastery after a two-hour long journey?
10. Who does Alyx finally meet at the end of Chapter 14?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of love conquers all. Why is this true of the novel Velvet Song?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how Velvet Song is an example of a novel which tries to satisfy its reader. Is this common among all novels of this genre? Why might Deveraux be trying to please the audience? What might the reader be looking for from a novel such as Velvet Song?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of misunderstandings in the novel Velvet Song. What misunderstandings take place throughout the narrative? What causes these misunderstandings? What problems do these cause, particularly between Alyx and Raine? How do these misunderstandings get cleared up?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)