|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After reprimanding Alyx, who does Raine ask her to write a letter to?
2. What happens to the man who attacks Raine?
3. Why does Alyx refuse to meet Blanche's demand after horse riding?
4. Who is in love with Joss?
5. What does Alyx catch Blanche doing after Raine falls asleep in Chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pagnell do after Alyx gets away from him and his men on horseback?
2. What happens when Alyx and Raine go riding in the forest?
3. What is the first task that Raine assigns to Alyx?
4. How does Alyx help Raine while at the camp?
5. What happens when Alyx is watching over Raine one night while he is in a feverish state?
6. How does Raine react when he finds Joss and Alyx in bed together?
7. What news from Raine's family does he receive?
8. Why is Alyx worried about leaving the camp with Raine?
9. How did Alyx discover her musical talents?
10. What plan does Joss and Alyx come up with to stop Raine from leaving the camp?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Alyx's character growth. How does her character at the beginning of the novel compare to her character at the end of the novel? How and why is she able to grow?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of misunderstandings in the novel Velvet Song. What misunderstandings take place throughout the narrative? What causes these misunderstandings? What problems do these cause, particularly between Alyx and Raine? How do these misunderstandings get cleared up?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how Velvet Song is an example of a novel which tries to satisfy its reader. Is this common among all novels of this genre? Why might Deveraux be trying to please the audience? What might the reader be looking for from a novel such as Velvet Song?
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)