|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who will do this to Raine if he returns to England?
2. What is Alyx doing when she meets Joss?
3. What does Alyx do when Raine helps her from a horse?
4. What does Raine order Alyx to do when he finally wakes up from his illness?
5. What has king Henry declared Raine?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Alyx horrified to find out that she will be Raine's servant?
2. What happens when Raine tells Alyx that they must bathe?
3. What is the first task that Raine assigns to Alyx?
4. Where does Alyx go after fleeing from Pagnell and his men who broke into her house?
5. What does Pagnell's servant tell Alyx she must do so no one will recognize her?
6. What happens when Alyx and Raine go riding in the forest?
7. After hearing Alyx's reason for pouring water on Joss, how does Raine react?
8. What happens when Raine tries to help steady Alyx after she stumbles off a horse?
9. What does Alyx do to Joss while sitting around the fire, and why does she do this?
10. Describe Rosamund.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the protagonist of the novel Velvet Song. What are Alyx's defining character traits? What struggles or obstacles does she face throughout the narrative? What do her main storylines deal with?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author of the novel Velvet Song, Jude Deveraux. Describe her background and her career as a writer. What genre does she typically write in? What has she achieved in her career? Is she respected in her field? What is known about her writing process? Can any connections be made between the plot of the novel and the author's life?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of misunderstandings in the novel Velvet Song. What misunderstandings take place throughout the narrative? What causes these misunderstandings? What problems do these cause, particularly between Alyx and Raine? How do these misunderstandings get cleared up?
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)