|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Alyx the main singer in her village?
(a) The school.
(b) The church.
(c) The town square.
(d) The town hall.
2. Why does Alyx not hear three large men approach her on her way to practice?
(a) The three men are very quiet.
(b) Alyx is engrossed in her singing.
(c) Alyx is deaf in one ear.
(d) There is a loud band playing nearby.
3. What does Alyx feel she cannot ask Raine to do for her in Chapter 11?
(a) Alyx feels she can not ask Raine to risk his life for her.
(b) Alyx feels she can not ask Raine to marry her.
(c) Alyx feels she can not ask Raine to forgive her.
(d) Alyx feels she can not ask Raine to stay at the camp.
4. What does Alyx do while Raine bathes?
(a) Waits in the forest.
(b) Cleans his clothes.
(c) Pretends to sleep.
5. What will happen if Raine returns to England?
(a) Raine will become a social misfit.
(b) Raine will be kidnapped.
(c) Raine will lose his fortune.
(d) Raine will be imprisoned and killed.
6. What is the name of the village where Alyx lives at the beginning of the novel?
7. When an intruder enters Alyx's room one night, what does she hit him with?
(a) A broom.
(b) A candlestick.
(c) A flute.
(d) A book.
8. Who is Blanche?
(a) A wench.
(b) Raine's sister.
(c) An elderly family friend.
(d) The landlord's wife.
9. When Alyx insists this fact at the beginning of Chapter 11, what does Raine do?
(a) Raine decides to leave her and the camp.
(b) Raine tells her he believes her.
(c) Raine faints.
(d) Raine refuses to believe her.
10. How does Raine describe Mary?
(a) Sad, lonely, and sickly.
(b) Selfless, kind, and caring.
(c) Selfish and conniving.
(d) Carefree and vibrant.
11. Besides his health, what is Alyx worried about as she watches over Raine while he is sick?
(a) Alyx is worried that the camp will run out of food.
(b) Alyx is worried that the convicts will find out that Raine is sick.
(c) Alyx is worried that he will find out that she is a woman.
(d) Alyx is worried that she will become sick as well.
12. What does Raine promise Alyx after the angry mob accuses Alyx?
(a) Raine promises that she will not be punished.
(b) Raine promises that he will always forgive her.
(c) Raine promises that they will be happy away from the outlaws.
(d) Raine promises that he will never forgive her.
13. Who gives Alyx an instrument when she is ten?
(a) A priest.
(b) A relative.
(c) A royal guard.
(d) A traveling troubadour.
14. What family is Raine's family feuding with?
(a) The Laings.
(b) The Montgomerys.
(c) The Blacketts.
(d) The Chatworths.
15. What does Alyx do to soothe Raine in Chapter 7?
(a) Alyx reads a letter sent from his sister.
(b) Alyx serves him a special tea.
(c) Alyx tells him a story from her youth.
(d) Alyx plays the flute and sings to him.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the gang members, what will they do if Alyx's crime is not dealt with?
2. How many years does Alyx study music intensely?
3. How does Alyx feel about the first task Raine assigns her?
4. How does Raine react to Alyx's lie in the tent?
5. What does Pagnell proclaim Alyx is wanted for?
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)