|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In a love story in Chapter 8, who killed a girl when she wailed and cried over the death of the boy she loved?
2. When Fayga was taken to visit her father, why did she wish to stay longer?
3. When a girl of about seventeen died, who did her family blame?
4. From what tribe was the girl that the Haj loved when he was young?
5. How did women feel if men heard them singing or reciting poetry?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are ghinnawas linked to romantic love?
2. How did a niece describe how she found the body of her aunt, after the old woman died suddenly?
3. What is a ghinnawa?
4. What two generalizations did Lila make about the range of sentiments expressed in ghinnawas?
5. Are ghinnawas a traditional form?
6. What tape that Lila recorded did most people want to hear again and again?
7. Why are analogies drawn in poetry between the poet and young children?
8. When were ghinnawas sung at weddings?
9. How do the Awlad 'Ali present themselves through their poems?
10. Why was poetry gradually disappearing from public ceremonial occasions?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Argue whether among the Awlad 'Ali there is a moral basis for social hierarchy or whether social hierarchy is based on externals like age, wealth, or gender. Use examples from the book to support your place.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the consequences and restrictions Lila faced because of her father's introduction and her status in the Awlad 'Ali community.
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the book, discuss the social value of male and female in Bedouin society.
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)