|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Aziza not remarry?
2. Along with other Muslims, where do the Awlad 'Ali believe children go when they die?
3. What were two women doing when Lila captured their conversation and songs on tape?
4. What did many poems explicitly request?
5. In ghinnawas, what did the word 'agl mean to the Bedouin?
Short Essay Questions
1. When were ghinnawas sung at weddings?
2. Why was Lila rarely able to tape-record anything when she was in the field?
3. What are the costs of arranged marriages?
4. What was Mabruka's response when she was accused of sorcery?
5. What is a ghinnawa?
6. After hearing so much about the value of hasham, why was Lila shocked to learn about one young woman in the camp?
7. Why wasn't the Haj allowed to marry a girl he loved when he was 17?
8. How are ghinnawas linked to romantic love?
9. How does poetry cloak statements?
10. With whom are poems shared?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the image that Lila had of the Bedouins before she began her fieldwork and the reality of what life was really like among the Bedouins. Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss why "Veiled Sentiments" could be considered an ethnography. Define ethnography in your essay.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the structure and form of Awlad 'Ali poetry, the ghinnawa.
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)