|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did women feel if men heard them singing or reciting poetry?
2. What illness did Aziza have?
3. How many syllables are in ghinnawas?
4. In a love story in Chapter 8, who killed a girl when she wailed and cried over the death of the boy she loved?
5. In a love story told in Chapter 8, what grew from the graves of a boy and girl who loved each other?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Lila rarely able to tape-record anything when she was in the field?
2. What was Aziza's story?
3. How did a niece describe how she found the body of her aunt, after the old woman died suddenly?
4. How does poetry cloak statements?
5. Why was poetry gradually disappearing from public ceremonial occasions?
6. What are the costs of arranged marriages?
7. What two generalizations did Lila make about the range of sentiments expressed in ghinnawas?
8. In bereavement, how did the Awlad 'Ali express their sentiments?
9. What is a ghinnawa?
10. For the Awlad 'Ali, how does poetry relate to the past?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss why "Veiled Sentiments" could be considered an ethnography. Define ethnography in your essay.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the fieldwork that Lila was performing among the Awlad 'Ali and how she had to change to focus of her work because of her status with the group. Give specific examples from the book to support your statements.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss why ghinnawas, the poetry of the Awlad 'Ali, are veiled sentiments.
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)