|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In a love story in Chapter 8, who killed a girl when she wailed and cried over the death of the boy she loved?
2. In a poem recited about his second wife, what image does Rashid use?
3. What is the English translation of the phrase used by the Awlad 'Ali that begins the lament to mourn a death?
4. What did the husband of a wife ask her to get rid of after he "left" her for two years?
5. In an archetypal love story, where did a boy go to get dates?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the Awlad 'Ali present themselves through their poems?
2. What two generalizations did Lila make about the range of sentiments expressed in ghinnawas?
3. Why was poetry gradually disappearing from public ceremonial occasions?
4. Why did Mabruka refuse to attend the wedding when her husband married a second wife?
5. What are the costs of arranged marriages?
6. With whom are poems shared?
7. Why are analogies drawn in poetry between the poet and young children?
8. What was Mabruka's response when she was accused of sorcery?
9. After hearing so much about the value of hasham, why was Lila shocked to learn about one young woman in the camp?
10. How was the youngest adult man in the group of agnatic kinsmen where Lila did her fieldwork killed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the consequences and restrictions Lila faced because of her father's introduction and her status in the Awlad 'Ali community.
Essay Topic 2
Argue whether among the Awlad 'Ali there is a moral basis for social hierarchy or whether social hierarchy is based on externals like age, wealth, or gender. Use examples from the book to support your place.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the changes in the Awald 'Ali way of life because of changes in their world. Use examples from the book to support your claims.
This section contains 916 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)