|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Bateson discussing when he argued that art corrects a too-limited and ultimately destructive understanding of the world?
2. Why did Aziza not remarry?
3. When an old woman suddenly died, what did some suggest her husband had done?
4. How long after Fayga's marriage did the household notice the first hints she was unhappy with her marriage?
5. How old was Migdim?
Short Essay Questions
1. For the Awlad 'Ali, how does poetry relate to the past?
2. What did Lila mean when she used the word discourse?
3. What other groups compose and recite ghinnawas?
4. How is the threat of sexuality to the Bedouin system dealt with?
5. With whom are poems shared?
6. How do the Awlad 'Ali present themselves through their poems?
7. Why was Lila rarely able to tape-record anything when she was in the field?
8. Are ghinnawas a traditional form?
9. What two generalizations did Lila make about the range of sentiments expressed in ghinnawas?
10. Why were romances unlikely to result in marriage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss why visits among kin were so important to the Awlad 'Ali and use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss why "Veiled Sentiments" could be considered an ethnography. Define ethnography in your essay.
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the book, discuss the reasons why Lila's father accompanied her when she made her first contact with the Awlad 'Ali.
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)