|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the husband of a wife ask her to get rid of after he "left" her for two years?
2. What was the only thing that Lila was usually able to tape record?
3. What was a theme in the songs between two women that Lila captured on tape?
4. What type of personal relationships were of great concern among the Bedouins?
5. Where did Rashid sleep when he assigned blame to someone for his second wife's running away?
Short Essay Questions
1. Are ghinnawas a traditional form?
2. What tape that Lila recorded did most people want to hear again and again?
3. When did the Awlad 'Ali learn to attribute blame when something happened?
4. What two generalizations did Lila make about the range of sentiments expressed in ghinnawas?
5. Why was Lila rarely able to tape-record anything when she was in the field?
6. Why did Mabruka refuse to attend the wedding when her husband married a second wife?
7. How did a niece describe how she found the body of her aunt, after the old woman died suddenly?
8. How do the Awlad 'Ali present themselves through their poems?
9. Why are analogies drawn in poetry between the poet and young children?
10. What are the costs of arranged marriages?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the changes in the Awald 'Ali way of life because of changes in their world. Use examples from the book to support your claims.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the structure and form of Awlad 'Ali poetry, the ghinnawa.
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the book, discuss the social value of male and female in Bedouin society.
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)