|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the husband of a wife ask her to get rid of after he "left" her for two years?
2. At what age did Awlad 'Ali girls marry?
3. With whom did men share poems?
4. What type of personal relationships were of great concern among the Bedouins?
5. What accompanied a message Mabruka sends when warning the recipient to beware?
Short Essay Questions
1. Are ghinnawas a traditional form?
2. How is the threat of sexuality to the Bedouin system dealt with?
3. Why was Lila rarely able to tape-record anything when she was in the field?
4. With whom are poems shared?
5. When did the Awlad 'Ali learn to attribute blame when something happened?
6. How did a niece describe how she found the body of her aunt, after the old woman died suddenly?
7. Why were romances unlikely to result in marriage?
8. Why are analogies drawn in poetry between the poet and young children?
9. What was Mabruka's response when she was accused of sorcery?
10. How do reactions to a husband's second marriage vary?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the changes in the Awald 'Ali way of life because of changes in their world. Use examples from the book to support your claims.
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from the book, discuss how agnation and patrilineality relate to the Awald 'Ali. Make sure that you define the terms in your discussion and use quotes from the book to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss why "Veiled Sentiments" could be considered an ethnography. Define ethnography in your essay.
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)