|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In an age of trucks, what did wealthy men maintain even though they were obsolete?
2. How did women feel if men heard them singing or reciting poetry?
3. How many lines do ghinnawas have?
4. How old was the Haj when he had his first romance?
5. How many of the adults in the community where Lila lived had been officially divorced at least once?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was the youngest adult man in the group of agnatic kinsmen where Lila did her fieldwork killed?
2. When were ghinnawas sung at weddings?
3. How does poetry cloak statements?
4. What tape that Lila recorded did most people want to hear again and again?
5. How do the Awlad 'Ali present themselves through their poems?
6. With whom are poems shared?
7. When did the Awlad 'Ali learn to attribute blame when something happened?
8. Why was Lila rarely able to tape-record anything when she was in the field?
9. How is the threat of sexuality to the Bedouin system dealt with?
10. In bereavement, how did the Awlad 'Ali express their sentiments?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Argue whether among the Awlad 'Ali there is a moral basis for social hierarchy or whether social hierarchy is based on externals like age, wealth, or gender. Use examples from the book to support your place.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss why visits among kin were so important to the Awlad 'Ali and use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the changes in the Awald 'Ali way of life because of changes in their world. Use examples from the book to support your claims.
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)