|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In a love story told in Chapter 8, what grew from the graves of a boy and girl who loved each other?
2. How many lines do ghinnawas have?
3. What did Mabruka refuse to accept when Rashid married another wife?
4. What primary emotion is featured in ghinnawas?
5. When did a German explorer publish ghinnawas?
Short Essay Questions
1. In bereavement, how did the Awlad 'Ali express their sentiments?
2. What was Aziza's story?
3. How does poetry cloak statements?
4. How did a niece describe how she found the body of her aunt, after the old woman died suddenly?
5. Are ghinnawas a traditional form?
6. For the Awlad 'Ali, how does poetry relate to the past?
7. What two generalizations did Lila make about the range of sentiments expressed in ghinnawas?
8. When did the Awlad 'Ali learn to attribute blame when something happened?
9. What did Lila mean when she used the word discourse?
10. Why was poetry gradually disappearing from public ceremonial occasions?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Argue whether among the Awlad 'Ali there is a moral basis for social hierarchy or whether social hierarchy is based on externals like age, wealth, or gender. Use examples from the book to support your place.
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from the book, discuss why the red belts and black veils are symbols that relate to the Awlad 'Ali view of how women associate with sexuality.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the natural reasons that exist for a belief in female moral inferiority in a Bedouin society, use examples from the book.
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)