|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In a love story told in Chapter 8, what grew from the graves of a boy and girl who loved each other?
2. When a girl of about seventeen died, which male relative cried at the funeral?
3. How many syllables are in ghinnawas?
4. How many of the adults in the community where Lila lived had been officially divorced at least once?
5. Which particular gift given to her husband's new bride did the first wife Mabruka resent?
Short Essay Questions
1. In bereavement, how did the Awlad 'Ali express their sentiments?
2. Why did Mabruka refuse to attend the wedding when her husband married a second wife?
3. How was the youngest adult man in the group of agnatic kinsmen where Lila did her fieldwork killed?
4. After hearing so much about the value of hasham, why was Lila shocked to learn about one young woman in the camp?
5. Why was poetry gradually disappearing from public ceremonial occasions?
6. For the Awlad 'Ali, how does poetry relate to the past?
7. How is the threat of sexuality to the Bedouin system dealt with?
8. How do the Awlad 'Ali present themselves through their poems?
9. What is a ghinnawa?
10. How does poetry cloak statements?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the natural reasons that exist for a belief in female moral inferiority in a Bedouin society, use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss why visits among kin were so important to the Awlad 'Ali and use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss why ghinnawas, the poetry of the Awlad 'Ali, are veiled sentiments.
This section contains 843 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)