|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many days did paternal relatives wail and cry at a camp where an old woman died suddenly?
2. When Lila has difficulty translating imagery that Makraba used in her poetry about her husband's second marriage, what are the images of? When Lila has difficulty translating imagery that Makraba used in her poetry about her husband's second marriage, what are the images of?
3. Where had Aziza's husband been working when they marry?
4. What illness did Aziza have?
5. What was a theme in the songs between two women that Lila captured on tape?
Short Essay Questions
1. For the Awlad 'Ali, how does poetry relate to the past?
2. What are the costs of arranged marriages?
3. How do reactions to a husband's second marriage vary?
4. How do the Awlad 'Ali present themselves through their poems?
5. What was Aziza's story?
6. How are ghinnawas linked to romantic love?
7. Why are analogies drawn in poetry between the poet and young children?
8. Why was Lila rarely able to tape-record anything when she was in the field?
9. After hearing so much about the value of hasham, why was Lila shocked to learn about one young woman in the camp?
10. In bereavement, how did the Awlad 'Ali express their sentiments?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the fieldwork that Lila was performing among the Awlad 'Ali and how she had to change to focus of her work because of her status with the group. Give specific examples from the book to support your statements.
Essay Topic 2
Argue whether among the Awlad 'Ali there is a moral basis for social hierarchy or whether social hierarchy is based on externals like age, wealth, or gender. Use examples from the book to support your place.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the practice of divorce among the Awlad 'Ali. Give specific examples from the book and explain what implications divorce might have among the Bedouin.
This section contains 953 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)