|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What project did Mabruka refuse to help with because of Rashid's second marriage?
2. With whom did men share poems?
3. What part of the body was frequently mentioned in ghinnawas?
4. What does ghinnawa mean?
5. In a photograph on page 192, what did women use as a windbreak?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was the youngest adult man in the group of agnatic kinsmen where Lila did her fieldwork killed?
2. How do the Awlad 'Ali present themselves through their poems?
3. How did a niece describe how she found the body of her aunt, after the old woman died suddenly?
4. Why wasn't the Haj allowed to marry a girl he loved when he was 17?
5. How is the threat of sexuality to the Bedouin system dealt with?
6. In bereavement, how did the Awlad 'Ali express their sentiments?
7. After hearing so much about the value of hasham, why was Lila shocked to learn about one young woman in the camp?
8. When were ghinnawas sung at weddings?
9. What tape that Lila recorded did most people want to hear again and again?
10. What other groups compose and recite ghinnawas?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss why ghinnawas, the poetry of the Awlad 'Ali, are veiled sentiments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the formal and informal checks and balances that exist to stop tyrannical providers. Give examples from the book and use quotes to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the image that Lila had of the Bedouins before she began her fieldwork and the reality of what life was really like among the Bedouins. Use examples from the book.
This section contains 1,022 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)