|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When an individual wrote a poem about personal experiences, with whom did the writer identify?
2. During what occasion did Lila hear men sing in public?
3. With whom did Aziza have recurring problems?
4. With whom did women share poems?
5. In a photograph on page 192, what did women use as a windbreak?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Lila mean when she used the word discourse?
2. Why was Lila rarely able to tape-record anything when she was in the field?
3. How do reactions to a husband's second marriage vary?
4. What tape that Lila recorded did most people want to hear again and again?
5. How is the threat of sexuality to the Bedouin system dealt with?
6. In bereavement, how did the Awlad 'Ali express their sentiments?
7. Why was poetry gradually disappearing from public ceremonial occasions?
8. Why wasn't the Haj allowed to marry a girl he loved when he was 17?
9. After hearing so much about the value of hasham, why was Lila shocked to learn about one young woman in the camp?
10. What are the costs of arranged marriages?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the structure and form of Awlad 'Ali poetry, the ghinnawa.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the fieldwork that Lila was performing among the Awlad 'Ali and how she had to change to focus of her work because of her status with the group. Give specific examples from the book to support your statements.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss why visits among kin were so important to the Awlad 'Ali and use examples from the book.
This section contains 942 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)