|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In an archetypal love story, where did a boy go to get dates?
2. How long after Fayga's marriage did the household notice the first hints she was unhappy with her marriage?
3. What did the husband of a wife ask her to get rid of after he "left" her for two years?
4. How many days did paternal relatives wail and cry at a camp where an old woman died suddenly?
5. In a love story told in Chapter 8, what happened to a woodcutter?
Short Essay Questions
1. After hearing so much about the value of hasham, why was Lila shocked to learn about one young woman in the camp?
2. How is the threat of sexuality to the Bedouin system dealt with?
3. What was Aziza's story?
4. What other groups compose and recite ghinnawas?
5. With whom are poems shared?
6. Are ghinnawas a traditional form?
7. Why was Lila rarely able to tape-record anything when she was in the field?
8. How do the Awlad 'Ali present themselves through their poems?
9. What did Lila mean when she used the word discourse?
10. Why are analogies drawn in poetry between the poet and young children?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the fieldwork that Lila was performing among the Awlad 'Ali and how she had to change to focus of her work because of her status with the group. Give specific examples from the book to support your statements.
Essay Topic 2
Argue whether among the Awlad 'Ali there is a moral basis for social hierarchy or whether social hierarchy is based on externals like age, wealth, or gender. Use examples from the book to support your place.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the consequences and restrictions Lila faced because of her father's introduction and her status in the Awlad 'Ali community.
This section contains 994 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)