|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When a girl of about seventeen died, who did her family blame?
2. How would a body be prepared in proper Muslim fashion?
3. In what point of view do they write ghinnawas?
4. What type of personal relationships were of great concern among the Bedouins?
5. What is the English translation of the phrase used by the Awlad 'Ali that begins the lament to mourn a death?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Lila rarely able to tape-record anything when she was in the field?
2. What are the costs of arranged marriages?
3. Why are analogies drawn in poetry between the poet and young children?
4. When did the Awlad 'Ali learn to attribute blame when something happened?
5. Why were romances unlikely to result in marriage?
6. How do the Awlad 'Ali present themselves through their poems?
7. With whom are poems shared?
8. What is a ghinnawa?
9. Why wasn't the Haj allowed to marry a girl he loved when he was 17?
10. When were ghinnawas sung at weddings?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the changes in the Awald 'Ali way of life because of changes in their world. Use examples from the book to support your claims.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the formal and informal checks and balances that exist to stop tyrannical providers. Give examples from the book and use quotes to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the practice of divorce among the Awlad 'Ali. Give specific examples from the book and explain what implications divorce might have among the Bedouin.
This section contains 973 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)