|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom did men share poems?
2. In ghinnawas, what did the word 'agl mean to the Bedouin?
3. What part of the body was frequently mentioned in ghinnawas?
4. What analogy was often drawn in poetry?
5. What was the year when the Haj had his first romance?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the Awlad 'Ali present themselves through their poems?
2. What is a ghinnawa?
3. How is the threat of sexuality to the Bedouin system dealt with?
4. Why did Mabruka refuse to attend the wedding when her husband married a second wife?
5. Why was Lila rarely able to tape-record anything when she was in the field?
6. How was the youngest adult man in the group of agnatic kinsmen where Lila did her fieldwork killed?
7. How do reactions to a husband's second marriage vary?
8. What was Mabruka's response when she was accused of sorcery?
9. What tape that Lila recorded did most people want to hear again and again?
10. After hearing so much about the value of hasham, why was Lila shocked to learn about one young woman in the camp?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using examples from the book, discuss the social value of male and female in Bedouin society.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the response to death in everyday language and behavior to the sentiments expressed in poetry and crying.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss why "Veiled Sentiments" could be considered an ethnography. Define ethnography in your essay.
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)