|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the person usually most responsible for preventing love matches?
2. What is revealed in Awlad 'Ali poetry?
3. What German explorer published ghinnawas?
4. A word the Haj used to refer to a married woman he loved shared the same root word with which other word of the choices?
5. What project did Mabruka refuse to help with because of Rashid's second marriage?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was the youngest adult man in the group of agnatic kinsmen where Lila did her fieldwork killed?
2. What did Lila mean when she used the word discourse?
3. What other groups compose and recite ghinnawas?
4. When did the Awlad 'Ali learn to attribute blame when something happened?
5. What tape that Lila recorded did most people want to hear again and again?
6. When were ghinnawas sung at weddings?
7. Why was poetry gradually disappearing from public ceremonial occasions?
8. What are the costs of arranged marriages?
9. After hearing so much about the value of hasham, why was Lila shocked to learn about one young woman in the camp?
10. How does poetry cloak statements?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Argue whether among the Awlad 'Ali there is a moral basis for social hierarchy or whether social hierarchy is based on externals like age, wealth, or gender. Use examples from the book to support your place.
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from the book, discuss why the red belts and black veils are symbols that relate to the Awlad 'Ali view of how women associate with sexuality.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss why "Veiled Sentiments" could be considered an ethnography. Define ethnography in your essay.
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)