|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom did Aziza have recurring problems?
2. What theme became associated most closely with the ghinnawa?
3. Which particular gift given to her husband's new bride did the first wife Mabruka resent?
4. How many syllables are in ghinnawas?
5. What German explorer published ghinnawas?
Short Essay Questions
1. After hearing so much about the value of hasham, why was Lila shocked to learn about one young woman in the camp?
2. How do reactions to a husband's second marriage vary?
3. How was the youngest adult man in the group of agnatic kinsmen where Lila did her fieldwork killed?
4. Why was Lila rarely able to tape-record anything when she was in the field?
5. When did the Awlad 'Ali learn to attribute blame when something happened?
6. In bereavement, how did the Awlad 'Ali express their sentiments?
7. What was Mabruka's response when she was accused of sorcery?
8. How does poetry cloak statements?
9. What are the costs of arranged marriages?
10. Why wasn't the Haj allowed to marry a girl he loved when he was 17?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the natural reasons that exist for a belief in female moral inferiority in a Bedouin society, use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the image that Lila had of the Bedouins before she began her fieldwork and the reality of what life was really like among the Bedouins. Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the changes in the Awald 'Ali way of life because of changes in their world. Use examples from the book to support your claims.
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)