|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Bateson discussing when he argued that art corrects a too-limited and ultimately destructive understanding of the world?
2. When a girl of about seventeen died, which male relative cried at the funeral?
3. What does ghinnawa mean?
4. In an age of trucks, what did wealthy men maintain even though they were obsolete?
5. In what point of view do they write ghinnawas?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was poetry gradually disappearing from public ceremonial occasions?
2. Why did Mabruka refuse to attend the wedding when her husband married a second wife?
3. What was Mabruka's response when she was accused of sorcery?
4. What was Aziza's story?
5. What two generalizations did Lila make about the range of sentiments expressed in ghinnawas?
6. What are the costs of arranged marriages?
7. What other groups compose and recite ghinnawas?
8. Why was Lila rarely able to tape-record anything when she was in the field?
9. For the Awlad 'Ali, how does poetry relate to the past?
10. When did the Awlad 'Ali learn to attribute blame when something happened?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using examples from the book, discuss the social value of male and female in Bedouin society.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss why ghinnawas, the poetry of the Awlad 'Ali, are veiled sentiments.
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the book, discuss the reasons why Lila's father accompanied her when she made her first contact with the Awlad 'Ali.
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)