|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does ghinnawa mean?
2. Where had Aziza's husband been working when they marry?
3. When did a German explorer publish ghinnawas?
4. In a love story in Chapter 8, who killed a girl when she wailed and cried over the death of the boy she loved?
5. When Fayga was taken to visit her father, why did she wish to stay longer?
Short Essay Questions
1. What tape that Lila recorded did most people want to hear again and again?
2. What was Mabruka's response when she was accused of sorcery?
3. Why wasn't the Haj allowed to marry a girl he loved when he was 17?
4. How do reactions to a husband's second marriage vary?
5. How do the Awlad 'Ali present themselves through their poems?
6. Why was Lila rarely able to tape-record anything when she was in the field?
7. Why did Mabruka refuse to attend the wedding when her husband married a second wife?
8. With whom are poems shared?
9. What did Lila mean when she used the word discourse?
10. How are ghinnawas linked to romantic love?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using examples from the book, discuss the reasons why Lila's father accompanied her when she made her first contact with the Awlad 'Ali.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the fieldwork that Lila was performing among the Awlad 'Ali and how she had to change to focus of her work because of her status with the group. Give specific examples from the book to support your statements.
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the book, discuss why the red belts and black veils are symbols that relate to the Awlad 'Ali view of how women associate with sexuality.
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)