|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was the Haj when he finally married?
2. What part of the body was frequently mentioned in ghinnawas?
3. When a girl of about seventeen died, who did her family blame?
4. What was the theme of the first song and poem Fayga shared with Lila?
5. How many years before Lila's arrival had a young man been murdered?
Short Essay Questions
1. With whom are poems shared?
2. What was Mabruka's response when she was accused of sorcery?
3. Why wasn't the Haj allowed to marry a girl he loved when he was 17?
4. How are ghinnawas linked to romantic love?
5. How did a niece describe how she found the body of her aunt, after the old woman died suddenly?
6. When were ghinnawas sung at weddings?
7. Why are analogies drawn in poetry between the poet and young children?
8. How is the threat of sexuality to the Bedouin system dealt with?
9. Why was poetry gradually disappearing from public ceremonial occasions?
10. Why were romances unlikely to result in marriage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss why visits among kin were so important to the Awlad 'Ali and use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss why "Veiled Sentiments" could be considered an ethnography. Define ethnography in your essay.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the natural reasons that exist for a belief in female moral inferiority in a Bedouin society, use examples from the book.
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)