|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is revealed in Awlad 'Ali poetry?
2. When Rashid's second wife ran away, who does Rashid blame?
3. What type of personal relationships were of great concern among the Bedouins?
4. How old was the Haj when he finally married?
5. When an individual wrote a poem about personal experiences, with whom did the writer identify?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was poetry gradually disappearing from public ceremonial occasions?
2. When were ghinnawas sung at weddings?
3. Why did Mabruka refuse to attend the wedding when her husband married a second wife?
4. Why was Lila rarely able to tape-record anything when she was in the field?
5. What is a ghinnawa?
6. After hearing so much about the value of hasham, why was Lila shocked to learn about one young woman in the camp?
7. How did a niece describe how she found the body of her aunt, after the old woman died suddenly?
8. What two generalizations did Lila make about the range of sentiments expressed in ghinnawas?
9. What did Lila mean when she used the word discourse?
10. How are ghinnawas linked to romantic love?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss why visits among kin were so important to the Awlad 'Ali and use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the image that Lila had of the Bedouins before she began her fieldwork and the reality of what life was really like among the Bedouins. Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the book, discuss the reasons why Lila's father accompanied her when she made her first contact with the Awlad 'Ali.
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)