|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where had Aziza's husband been working when they marry?
2. What is revealed in Awlad 'Ali poetry?
3. During what occasion did Lila hear men sing in public?
4. What were two women doing when Lila captured their conversation and songs on tape?
5. What did Mabruka refuse to accept when Rashid married another wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Mabruka refuse to attend the wedding when her husband married a second wife?
2. Why was poetry gradually disappearing from public ceremonial occasions?
3. What tape that Lila recorded did most people want to hear again and again?
4. What is a ghinnawa?
5. Why wasn't the Haj allowed to marry a girl he loved when he was 17?
6. What did Lila mean when she used the word discourse?
7. What was Mabruka's response when she was accused of sorcery?
8. When were ghinnawas sung at weddings?
9. Why were romances unlikely to result in marriage?
10. How was the youngest adult man in the group of agnatic kinsmen where Lila did her fieldwork killed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Argue whether among the Awlad 'Ali there is a moral basis for social hierarchy or whether social hierarchy is based on externals like age, wealth, or gender. Use examples from the book to support your place.
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from the book, discuss the social value of male and female in Bedouin society.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the structure and form of Awlad 'Ali poetry, the ghinnawa.
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)