|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the Awlad 'Ali believe should be evoked by beautiful poetry?
2. What type of personal relationships were of great concern among the Bedouins?
3. When an old woman suddenly died, what did some suggest her husband had done?
4. How many lines do ghinnawas have?
5. In a love story in Chapter 8, how close to home was a boy when he fell ill and died?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Lila rarely able to tape-record anything when she was in the field?
2. Why wasn't the Haj allowed to marry a girl he loved when he was 17?
3. How do reactions to a husband's second marriage vary?
4. With whom are poems shared?
5. What are the costs of arranged marriages?
6. When were ghinnawas sung at weddings?
7. Why was poetry gradually disappearing from public ceremonial occasions?
8. When did the Awlad 'Ali learn to attribute blame when something happened?
9. Are ghinnawas a traditional form?
10. In bereavement, how did the Awlad 'Ali express their sentiments?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss veiling and the meaning of veiling in a Bedouin society, using examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from the book, discuss the reasons why Lila's father accompanied her when she made her first contact with the Awlad 'Ali.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the image that Lila had of the Bedouins before she began her fieldwork and the reality of what life was really like among the Bedouins. Use examples from the book.
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)