|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does ghinnawa mean?
2. What was the theme of the first song and poem Fayga shared with Lila?
3. What is the English translation of the phrase used by the Awlad 'Ali that begins the lament to mourn a death?
4. How old was the Haj when he had his first romance?
5. How many women had the Haj been prevented from marrying because of a family member?
Short Essay Questions
1. When were ghinnawas sung at weddings?
2. With whom are poems shared?
3. How is the threat of sexuality to the Bedouin system dealt with?
4. After hearing so much about the value of hasham, why was Lila shocked to learn about one young woman in the camp?
5. How are ghinnawas linked to romantic love?
6. What was Mabruka's response when she was accused of sorcery?
7. Why was Lila rarely able to tape-record anything when she was in the field?
8. Why did Mabruka refuse to attend the wedding when her husband married a second wife?
9. What is a ghinnawa?
10. Why were romances unlikely to result in marriage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Argue whether among the Awlad 'Ali there is a moral basis for social hierarchy or whether social hierarchy is based on externals like age, wealth, or gender. Use examples from the book to support your place.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss why visits among kin were so important to the Awlad 'Ali and use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the book, discuss the reasons why Lila's father accompanied her when she made her first contact with the Awlad 'Ali.
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)