|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did military rule of the Western desert end?
2. What types of trees did the Awlad 'Ali plant?
3. Where did God banish Adam after he ate the fruit?
4. What colors were associated with uncleanliness and women?
5. How much of the Egyptian population consist of Bedouins of the Western desert when Lila did her fieldwork?
Short Essay Questions
1. In bereavement, how did the Awlad 'Ali express their sentiments?
2. What was the difference that a woman might feel during a pregnancy depending on whether she was carrying a boy or a girl?
3. Why are analogies drawn in poetry between the poet and young children?
4. When and why were the Awlad 'Ali given rights to land in the Western desert?
5. What was Mabruka's response when she was accused of sorcery?
6. How is the threat of sexuality to the Bedouin system dealt with?
7. Why did foreigners call taxis in Alexandria "flying coffins"?
8. What are the costs of arranged marriages?
9. Why did Lila's father go with her to the area where the Awlad 'Ali lived?
10. How does poetry cloak statements?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using examples from the book, discuss the reasons why Lila's father accompanied her when she made her first contact with the Awlad 'Ali.
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from the book, discuss how agnation and patrilineality relate to the Awald 'Ali. Make sure that you define the terms in your discussion and use quotes from the book to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Argue whether among the Awlad 'Ali there is a moral basis for social hierarchy or whether social hierarchy is based on externals like age, wealth, or gender. Use examples from the book to support your place.
This section contains 1,313 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)