|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did the Awlad 'Ali migrate into Egypt?
2. After a feast for a neighbor who returned from a pilgrimage, what did Lila and some adolescent girls do?
3. Who wrote the "Alexandria Quartet?"
4. What changed the Haj's mother's attitude toward Lila?
5. When Lila left, how many children did the Haj have?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the Awlad 'Ali obtain water for their daily needs?
2. How could a woman resist a tyrannical husband?
3. What did Rashid's brothers want him to do about a runaway second wife?
4. Under what circumstances could a woman kill an animal?
5. What Bedouin story was told to show that the Egyptians lack nobility of origin?
6. How did Nafla resist an unwanted marriage when she was fourteen?
7. How were brides carried from her natal home in the past and when Lila lived with the Awlad 'Ali?
8. How did the Bedouin like to honor guests?
9. Why might a woman have no choice, but to obey her husband?
10. What type of living quarters would newly married couples have in the past and when Lila lived among the Awlad 'Ali?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the formal and informal checks and balances that exist to stop tyrannical providers. Give examples from the book and use quotes to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from the book, discuss the reasons why Lila's father accompanied her when she made her first contact with the Awlad 'Ali.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the natural reasons that exist for a belief in female moral inferiority in a Bedouin society, use examples from the book.
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)