|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who helped Lila finally begin to interpret the poems she was hearing?
2. What word described a Bedouin man's years of youth?
3. In a folktale, what did Muhammad buh Sultan send to be watered at the spring where a beautiful girl lived?
4. Where did Adam and Eve meet again after God banished them?
5. In a story about the creation of Adam and Eve, what instrument was the Devil playing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why might a woman have no choice, but to obey her husband?
2. How did the Awlad 'Ali obtain water for their daily needs?
3. What did Rashid's brothers want him to do about a runaway second wife?
4. Why did foreigners call taxis in Alexandria "flying coffins"?
5. What questions and doubts do anthropologists deal with when doing field work?
6. How were brides carried from her natal home in the past and when Lila lived with the Awlad 'Ali?
7. Why were the core families where Lila stayed able to avoid cooperating in government settlement schemes?
8. How did the Bedouin like to honor guests?
9. How were Lila's expectations of the Bedouins different from the reality?
10. In the past, what was the relationship between the Awlad 'Ali and the Mrabtin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the natural reasons that exist for a belief in female moral inferiority in a Bedouin society, use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss why ghinnawas, the poetry of the Awlad 'Ali, are veiled sentiments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the formal and informal checks and balances that exist to stop tyrannical providers. Give examples from the book and use quotes to support your discussion.
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)