|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the "Alexandria Quartet," what was a Bedouin youth carrying on his head?
2. Who was the man who was criticized for going to find a runaway second wife?
3. When did Lila's new life begin to seem natural, so she felt as if she belonged with the Awlad 'Ali?
4. How many wives was a wealthy man reputed to have married in his lifetime?
5. Where did a youth from the Awlad 'Ali community go to have a serious operation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Aziza's story?
2. When did the Awlad 'Ali learn to attribute blame when something happened?
3. What two generalizations did Lila make about the range of sentiments expressed in ghinnawas?
4. After hearing so much about the value of hasham, why was Lila shocked to learn about one young woman in the camp?
5. How are ghinnawas linked to romantic love?
6. How could a woman resist a tyrannical husband?
7. Why did Lila go to Cairo every few weeks during the first few months she lived with the Awlad 'Ali?
8. Are ghinnawas a traditional form?
9. With whom are poems shared?
10. What other groups compose and recite ghinnawas?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss why "Veiled Sentiments" could be considered an ethnography. Define ethnography in your essay.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the practice of divorce among the Awlad 'Ali. Give specific examples from the book and explain what implications divorce might have among the Bedouin.
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the book, discuss the reasons why Lila's father accompanied her when she made her first contact with the Awlad 'Ali.
This section contains 1,260 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)