|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What colors were associated with uncleanliness and women?
2. When did Lila live with the Awlad 'Ali?
3. What tribes were the true Awlad 'Ali?
4. What form of poetry did the ghinnawas most resemble?
5. In what city had the bonds between Bedouin kin been weakened in favor of those between neighbors?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the Awlad 'Ali obtain water for their daily needs?
2. Why did Lila's father go with her to the area where the Awlad 'Ali lived?
3. What did patrons do for clients?
4. What did clients do for their patrons?
5. What questions and doubts do anthropologists deal with when doing field work?
6. How could a woman resist a tyrannical husband?
7. What did Rashid's brothers want him to do about a runaway second wife?
8. What Bedouin story was told to show that the Egyptians lack nobility of origin?
9. What type of living quarters would newly married couples have in the past and when Lila lived among the Awlad 'Ali?
10. How did Nafla resist an unwanted marriage when she was fourteen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using examples from the book, discuss why the red belts and black veils are symbols that relate to the Awlad 'Ali view of how women associate with sexuality.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss why ghinnawas, the poetry of the Awlad 'Ali, are veiled sentiments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the practice of divorce among the Awlad 'Ali. Give specific examples from the book and explain what implications divorce might have among the Bedouin.
This section contains 886 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)