|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the desert, what animal did they hunt at night?
2. When did Lila first realize the sensitive nature of the poems recited by the women?
3. How old was Nafla when her family tried to force her into a marriage?
4. Who wrote the "Alexandria Quartet?"
5. Who helped Lila finally begin to interpret the poems she was hearing?
Short Essay Questions
1. How far had some men traveled outside the Awlad 'Ali community?
2. What did the Awlad 'Ali describe fondly about their lives in the desert?
3. What did a woman whose daughter was about to marry a respected man in the camp say that her daughter wanted in a man?
4. How were brides carried from her natal home in the past and when Lila lived with the Awlad 'Ali?
5. Why was the Haj's mother reserved with Lila at first and why did her attitude change?
6. How did Nafla resist an unwanted marriage when she was fourteen?
7. Describe the ritual performed by children to bring rain.
8. What was the assumption in Egypt about nomadism and semi-nomadism?
9. In the past, what was the relationship between the Awlad 'Ali and the Mrabtin?
10. Why did Lila go to Cairo every few weeks during the first few months she lived with the Awlad 'Ali?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the natural reasons that exist for a belief in female moral inferiority in a Bedouin society, use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the practice of divorce among the Awlad 'Ali. Give specific examples from the book and explain what implications divorce might have among the Bedouin.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss veiling and the meaning of veiling in a Bedouin society, using examples from the book.
This section contains 888 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)