|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was Lila's host mysteriously absent for a period?
2. How much of the Egyptian population consist of Bedouins of the Western desert when Lila did her fieldwork?
3. How old was Nafla when her family tried to force her into a marriage?
4. How old was the runaway second wife of the husband who was criticized for going to find her?
5. What beach is mentioned in the "Alexandria Quartet?"
Short Essay Questions
1. Under what circumstances could a woman kill an animal?
2. In the past, what was the relationship between the Awlad 'Ali and the Mrabtin?
3. What was the difference that a woman might feel during a pregnancy depending on whether she was carrying a boy or a girl?
4. What did patrons do for clients?
5. How were brides carried from her natal home in the past and when Lila lived with the Awlad 'Ali?
6. What did a woman whose daughter was about to marry a respected man in the camp say that her daughter wanted in a man?
7. When and why were the Awlad 'Ali given rights to land in the Western desert?
8. How did the Bedouin like to honor guests?
9. How did the Awlad 'Ali obtain water for their daily needs?
10. How does a modest woman show virtuous womanhood?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the response to death in everyday language and behavior to the sentiments expressed in poetry and crying.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss why visits among kin were so important to the Awlad 'Ali and use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the book, discuss how autonomy relates to hierarchy in the Awlad 'Ali society. Define your terms when writing your essay.
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)