|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What colors were associated with uncleanliness and women?
2. What were Bedouin tents made of before the Awlad 'Ali moved into houses?
3. What bird represented the Bedouin ideals of manhood?
4. What were the client tribes called?
5. In the section "Identification and Sharing," why did a woman threaten to leave her husband?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the Awlad 'Ali obtain water for their daily needs?
2. What was the difference that a woman might feel during a pregnancy depending on whether she was carrying a boy or a girl?
3. Why was the Haj's mother reserved with Lila at first and why did her attitude change?
4. Describe the ritual performed by children to bring rain.
5. How does a modest woman show virtuous womanhood?
6. Why were the core families where Lila stayed able to avoid cooperating in government settlement schemes?
7. How did people greet the birth of a girl?
8. Why did Bedouin women keep their ties to their kin even after marriage?
9. What questions and doubts do anthropologists deal with when doing field work?
10. How could a woman resist a tyrannical husband?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the formal and informal checks and balances that exist to stop tyrannical providers. Give examples from the book and use quotes to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from the book, discuss the reasons why Lila's father accompanied her when she made her first contact with the Awlad 'Ali.
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the book, discuss how agnation and patrilineality relate to the Awald 'Ali. Make sure that you define the terms in your discussion and use quotes from the book to support your ideas.
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)