|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Bedouins believe would dry up a new mother's milk?
2. What colors were associated with purity and with men?
3. What changed the Haj's mother's attitude toward Lila?
4. In the camp where Lila lived, how many adults divorced at least once?
5. What drapes over the tent or automobile that carries a bride to her new home?
Short Essay Questions
1. How were Lila's expectations of the Bedouins different from the reality?
2. How did Nafla resist an unwanted marriage when she was fourteen?
3. How did the Awlad 'Ali obtain water for their daily needs?
4. What did the Awlad 'Ali describe fondly about their lives in the desert?
5. What questions and doubts do anthropologists deal with when doing field work?
6. What was the difference that a woman might feel during a pregnancy depending on whether she was carrying a boy or a girl?
7. How far had some men traveled outside the Awlad 'Ali community?
8. Why was the Haj's mother reserved with Lila at first and why did her attitude change?
9. In what behavior would a good bride engage in on her wedding day?
10. Why did Lila's father go with her to the area where the Awlad 'Ali lived?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using examples from the book, discuss why the red belts and black veils are symbols that relate to the Awlad 'Ali view of how women associate with sexuality.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the fieldwork that Lila was performing among the Awlad 'Ali and how she had to change to focus of her work because of her status with the group. Give specific examples from the book to support your statements.
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the book, discuss the social value of male and female in Bedouin society.
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)