|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Bedouins believe would dry up a new mother's milk?
2. Why was Lila's host mysteriously absent for a time?
3. How old was the Haj, head of the household, where Lila lived?
4. In a story about the creation of Adam and Eve, what instrument was the Devil playing?
5. What values were at the heart of the Awlad 'Ali moral system?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did clients do for their patrons?
2. What did patrons do for clients?
3. Under what circumstances could a woman kill an animal?
4. What Bedouin story was told to show that the Egyptians lack nobility of origin?
5. What did the Awlad 'Ali describe fondly about their lives in the desert?
6. Why did Bedouin women keep their ties to their kin even after marriage?
7. How does a modest woman show virtuous womanhood?
8. What questions and doubts do anthropologists deal with when doing field work?
9. Why might a woman have no choice, but to obey her husband?
10. How could a woman resist a tyrannical husband?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the response to death in everyday language and behavior to the sentiments expressed in poetry and crying.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss why "Veiled Sentiments" could be considered an ethnography. Define ethnography in your essay.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the natural reasons that exist for a belief in female moral inferiority in a Bedouin society, use examples from the book.
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)