|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Lila's host mysteriously absent for a time?
2. When did the Awlad 'Ali migrate to the desert?
3. How many client households were in the camp where Lila lived?
4. Before Lila arrived, how long had it been since the Awlad 'Ali migrated to the desert?
5. What beverage is mentioned in the "Alexandria Quartet?"
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Bedouin women keep their ties to their kin even after marriage?
2. How could a woman resist a tyrannical husband?
3. How far had some men traveled outside the Awlad 'Ali community?
4. How did people greet the birth of a boy?
5. Why did Lila's father go with her to the area where the Awlad 'Ali lived?
6. What type of living quarters would newly married couples have in the past and when Lila lived among the Awlad 'Ali?
7. What did a woman whose daughter was about to marry a respected man in the camp say that her daughter wanted in a man?
8. Describe the ritual performed by children to bring rain.
9. What did patrons do for clients?
10. How does a modest woman show virtuous womanhood?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the structure and form of Awlad 'Ali poetry, the ghinnawa.
Essay Topic 2
Argue whether among the Awlad 'Ali there is a moral basis for social hierarchy or whether social hierarchy is based on externals like age, wealth, or gender. Use examples from the book to support your place.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the image that Lila had of the Bedouins before she began her fieldwork and the reality of what life was really like among the Bedouins. Use examples from the book.
This section contains 898 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)