Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During World War II, who fought battles on Bedouin soil?
2. What was the name of the Haj's first wife?
3. What colors were associated with purity and with men?
4. What color cummerbund would the women of the Awlad 'Ali wear around their waists?
5. What does an unmarried girl use to cover her head?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Lila rarely able to tape-record anything when she was in the field?
2. Why did foreigners call taxis in Alexandria "flying coffins"?
3. What is a ghinnawa?
4. In the past, what was the relationship between the Awlad 'Ali and the Mrabtin?
5. How is the threat of sexuality to the Bedouin system dealt with?
6. When and why were the Awlad 'Ali given rights to land in the Western desert?
7. How do reactions to a husband's second marriage vary?
8. How did people greet the birth of a girl?
9. Why was poetry gradually disappearing from public ceremonial occasions?
10. How are ghinnawas linked to romantic love?
Essay Topic 1
Using examples from the book, discuss how agnation and patrilineality relate to the Awald 'Ali. Make sure that you define the terms in your discussion and use quotes from the book to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the structure and form of Awlad 'Ali poetry, the ghinnawa.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the practice of divorce among the Awlad 'Ali. Give specific examples from the book and explain what implications divorce might have among the Bedouin.
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)