|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In a folktale, when a man gave birth, what carried the baby away?
2. Where did God banish Eve after she ate the fruit?
3. What colors were associated with uncleanliness and women?
4. What drapes over the tent or automobile that carries a bride to her new home?
5. What lake could one smell after crossing a one-lane bridge leading from Alexandria to the desert?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the past, what was the relationship between the Awlad 'Ali and the Mrabtin?
2. How were Lila's expectations of the Bedouins different from the reality?
3. How did the Bedouin like to honor guests?
4. Why did Lila's father go with her to the area where the Awlad 'Ali lived?
5. What did a woman whose daughter was about to marry a respected man in the camp say that her daughter wanted in a man?
6. Why did foreigners call taxis in Alexandria "flying coffins"?
7. When and why were the Awlad 'Ali given rights to land in the Western desert?
8. What questions and doubts do anthropologists deal with when doing field work?
9. What type of living quarters would newly married couples have in the past and when Lila lived among the Awlad 'Ali?
10. What did Rashid's brothers want him to do about a runaway second wife?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the structure and form of Awlad 'Ali poetry, the ghinnawa.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the changes in the Awald 'Ali way of life because of changes in their world. Use examples from the book to support your claims.
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the book, discuss the reasons why Lila's father accompanied her when she made her first contact with the Awlad 'Ali.
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)