|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In a Bedouin story, what was God's reason for forbidding Adam and Eve to eat fruit from a particular tree?
2. How far did the Western Desert stretch to the Libyan border?
3. What types of trees surrounded crude structures at the edge of the Western desert?
4. When did the ancestors of the Awlad 'Ali sweep through North Africa?
5. Who were the ancestors of the Awlad 'Ali?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did clients do for their patrons?
2. What type of living quarters would newly married couples have in the past and when Lila lived among the Awlad 'Ali?
3. Why were the core families where Lila stayed able to avoid cooperating in government settlement schemes?
4. In what behavior would a good bride engage in on her wedding day?
5. In the past, what was the relationship between the Awlad 'Ali and the Mrabtin?
6. What did Rashid's brothers want him to do about a runaway second wife?
7. What did the Awlad 'Ali describe fondly about their lives in the desert?
8. How did the Awlad 'Ali obtain water for their daily needs?
9. What questions and doubts do anthropologists deal with when doing field work?
10. Why might a woman have no choice, but to obey her husband?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the consequences and restrictions Lila faced because of her father's introduction and her status in the Awlad 'Ali community.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the changes in the Awald 'Ali way of life because of changes in their world. Use examples from the book to support your claims.
Essay Topic 3
Argue whether among the Awlad 'Ali there is a moral basis for social hierarchy or whether social hierarchy is based on externals like age, wealth, or gender. Use examples from the book to support your place.
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)