|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Before Lila arrived, how long had it been since the Awlad 'Ali migrated to the desert?
2. How frequent were droughts in Awlad 'Ali territory?
3. Who was the man who inherited wealth, but lost respect because he submitted to his passions and chased women?
4. What colors were associated with purity and with men?
5. What were women said to fear?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Nafla resist an unwanted marriage when she was fourteen?
2. Why did foreigners call taxis in Alexandria "flying coffins"?
3. How far had some men traveled outside the Awlad 'Ali community?
4. Why did Lila go to Cairo every few weeks during the first few months she lived with the Awlad 'Ali?
5. What type of living quarters would newly married couples have in the past and when Lila lived among the Awlad 'Ali?
6. In what behavior would a good bride engage in on her wedding day?
7. How did the Bedouin like to honor guests?
8. Under what circumstances could a woman kill an animal?
9. How were brides carried from her natal home in the past and when Lila lived with the Awlad 'Ali?
10. How could a woman resist a tyrannical husband?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss veiling and the meaning of veiling in a Bedouin society, using examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the fieldwork that Lila was performing among the Awlad 'Ali and how she had to change to focus of her work because of her status with the group. Give specific examples from the book to support your statements.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the structure and form of Awlad 'Ali poetry, the ghinnawa.
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)