Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During World War II, who fought battles on Bedouin soil?
2. What was the name of the Haj's first wife?
3. What colors were associated with purity and with men?
4. What color cummerbund would the women of the Awlad 'Ali wear around their waists?
5. What does an unmarried girl use to cover her head?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Lila rarely able to tape-record anything when she was in the field?
2. Why did foreigners call taxis in Alexandria "flying coffins"?
3. What is a ghinnawa?
4. In the past, what was the relationship between the Awlad 'Ali and the Mrabtin?
5. How is the threat of sexuality to the Bedouin system dealt with?
6. When and why were the Awlad 'Ali given rights to land in the Western desert?
7. How do reactions to a husband's second marriage vary?
8. How did people greet the birth of a girl?
9. Why was poetry gradually disappearing from public ceremonial occasions?
10. How are ghinnawas linked to romantic love?
Compare and contrast the image that Lila had of the Bedouins before she began her fieldwork and the reality of what life was really like among the Bedouins. Use examples from the book.
Using examples from the book, discuss how providers (persons in authority) treat their dependents.
Compare and contrast the response to death in everyday language and behavior to the sentiments expressed in poetry and crying.
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)