|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What pious activity was forbidden to menstruating women?
2. What colors were associated with uncleanliness and women?
3. What was the standard by which status was measured and hierarchy determined in Awlad 'Ali society?
4. In a folktale, what did Muhammad buh Sultan send to be watered at the spring where a beautiful girl lived?
5. What were women said to fear?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Lila's father go with her to the area where the Awlad 'Ali lived?
2. Why did Bedouin women keep their ties to their kin even after marriage?
3. What Bedouin story was told to show that the Egyptians lack nobility of origin?
4. Why was the Haj's mother reserved with Lila at first and why did her attitude change?
5. What was the assumption in Egypt about nomadism and semi-nomadism?
6. When and why were the Awlad 'Ali given rights to land in the Western desert?
7. What did the Awlad 'Ali describe fondly about their lives in the desert?
8. How did the Awlad 'Ali obtain water for their daily needs?
9. What did a woman whose daughter was about to marry a respected man in the camp say that her daughter wanted in a man?
10. Why might a woman have no choice, but to obey her husband?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the response to death in everyday language and behavior to the sentiments expressed in poetry and crying.
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from the book, discuss how agnation and patrilineality relate to the Awald 'Ali. Make sure that you define the terms in your discussion and use quotes from the book to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the consequences and restrictions Lila faced because of her father's introduction and her status in the Awlad 'Ali community.
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)