|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many client households were in the camp where Lila lived?
2. When did Lila live with the Awlad 'Ali?
3. Who was the man who was criticized for going to find a runaway second wife?
4. How far did the Western Desert stretch to the Libyan border?
5. Where did God banish Eve after she ate the fruit?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did patrons do for clients?
2. In the past, what was the relationship between the Awlad 'Ali and the Mrabtin?
3. Under what circumstances could a woman kill an animal?
4. What questions and doubts do anthropologists deal with when doing field work?
5. Why were the core families where Lila stayed able to avoid cooperating in government settlement schemes?
6. How did the Awlad 'Ali obtain water for their daily needs?
7. What did the Awlad 'Ali describe fondly about their lives in the desert?
8. How did Nafla resist an unwanted marriage when she was fourteen?
9. Why did Lila's father go with her to the area where the Awlad 'Ali lived?
10. Why might a woman have no choice, but to obey her husband?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss veiling and the meaning of veiling in a Bedouin society, using examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from the book, discuss how autonomy relates to hierarchy in the Awlad 'Ali society. Define your terms when writing your essay.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the natural reasons that exist for a belief in female moral inferiority in a Bedouin society, use examples from the book.
This section contains 843 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)