|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the standard by which status was measured and hierarchy determined in Awlad 'Ali society?
2. What was closely tied to the moral nature among the Awlad 'Ali?
3. Who gave the Awlad 'Ali rights to land in the Western desert in the nineteenth century?
4. When was Lila's host mysteriously absent for a period?
5. What color cummerbund would the women of the Awlad 'Ali wear around their waists?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did patrons do for clients?
2. How could a woman resist a tyrannical husband?
3. What did Rashid's brothers want him to do about a runaway second wife?
4. What questions and doubts do anthropologists deal with when doing field work?
5. What was the assumption in Egypt about nomadism and semi-nomadism?
6. When and why were the Awlad 'Ali given rights to land in the Western desert?
7. What did a woman whose daughter was about to marry a respected man in the camp say that her daughter wanted in a man?
8. How does a modest woman show virtuous womanhood?
9. How did the Bedouin like to honor guests?
10. How far had some men traveled outside the Awlad 'Ali community?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the fieldwork that Lila was performing among the Awlad 'Ali and how she had to change to focus of her work because of her status with the group. Give specific examples from the book to support your statements.
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from the book, discuss how autonomy relates to hierarchy in the Awlad 'Ali society. Define your terms when writing your essay.
Essay Topic 3
Argue whether among the Awlad 'Ali there is a moral basis for social hierarchy or whether social hierarchy is based on externals like age, wealth, or gender. Use examples from the book to support your place.
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)