|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did God banish Eve after she ate the fruit?
2. What were Bedouin tents made of before the Awlad 'Ali moved into houses?
3. How old was the runaway second wife of the husband who was criticized for going to find her?
4. In the Bedouin community where Lila lived, how many times a day did the men try to pray?
5. When was Lila's host mysteriously absent for a period?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the Bedouin like to honor guests?
2. What Bedouin story was told to show that the Egyptians lack nobility of origin?
3. What type of living quarters would newly married couples have in the past and when Lila lived among the Awlad 'Ali?
4. How does a modest woman show virtuous womanhood?
5. What did the Awlad 'Ali describe fondly about their lives in the desert?
6. What was the assumption in Egypt about nomadism and semi-nomadism?
7. Describe the ritual performed by children to bring rain.
8. In the past, what was the relationship between the Awlad 'Ali and the Mrabtin?
9. What did clients do for their patrons?
10. Why did Lila go to Cairo every few weeks during the first few months she lived with the Awlad 'Ali?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the structure and form of Awlad 'Ali poetry, the ghinnawa.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the practice of divorce among the Awlad 'Ali. Give specific examples from the book and explain what implications divorce might have among the Bedouin.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss why "Veiled Sentiments" could be considered an ethnography. Define ethnography in your essay.
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)