Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During World War II, who fought battles on Bedouin soil?
2. What was the name of the Haj's first wife?
3. What colors were associated with purity and with men?
4. What color cummerbund would the women of the Awlad 'Ali wear around their waists?
5. What does an unmarried girl use to cover her head?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Lila rarely able to tape-record anything when she was in the field?
2. Why did foreigners call taxis in Alexandria "flying coffins"?
3. What is a ghinnawa?
4. In the past, what was the relationship between the Awlad 'Ali and the Mrabtin?
5. How is the threat of sexuality to the Bedouin system dealt with?
6. When and why were the Awlad 'Ali given rights to land in the Western desert?
7. How do reactions to a husband's second marriage vary?
8. How did people greet the birth of a girl?
9. Why was poetry gradually disappearing from public ceremonial occasions?
10. How are ghinnawas linked to romantic love?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss veiling and the meaning of veiling in a Bedouin society, using examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss why ghinnawas, the poetry of the Awlad 'Ali, are veiled sentiments.
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the book, discuss why the red belts and black veils are symbols that relate to the Awlad 'Ali view of how women associate with sexuality.
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)