|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many children did the man, who was criticized for going to find his runaway second wife, have with his first wife?
2. In the section "Identification and Sharing," why did a woman threaten to leave her husband?
3. What was the name of the Haj's first wife?
4. During World War II, who fought battles on Bedouin soil?
5. What color was the compound where Lila lived with the Awlad 'Ali?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Lila go to Cairo every few weeks during the first few months she lived with the Awlad 'Ali?
2. Under what circumstances could a woman kill an animal?
3. How were Lila's expectations of the Bedouins different from the reality?
4. How far had some men traveled outside the Awlad 'Ali community?
5. Why did Lila's father go with her to the area where the Awlad 'Ali lived?
6. Why was the Haj's mother reserved with Lila at first and why did her attitude change?
7. How did the Awlad 'Ali obtain water for their daily needs?
8. How did people greet the birth of a girl?
9. What did a woman whose daughter was about to marry a respected man in the camp say that her daughter wanted in a man?
10. How were brides carried from her natal home in the past and when Lila lived with the Awlad 'Ali?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the natural reasons that exist for a belief in female moral inferiority in a Bedouin society, use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss why "Veiled Sentiments" could be considered an ethnography. Define ethnography in your essay.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss why visits among kin were so important to the Awlad 'Ali and use examples from the book.
This section contains 905 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)