|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who helped Lila finally begin to interpret the poems she was hearing?
2. When Lila left, how many children did the Haj have?
3. In a folktale, when a man gave birth, what carried the baby away?
4. Who wrote the "Alexandria Quartet?"
5. What colors were associated with uncleanliness and women?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why wasn't the Haj allowed to marry a girl he loved when he was 17?
2. What did patrons do for clients?
3. For the Awlad 'Ali, how does poetry relate to the past?
4. How far had some men traveled outside the Awlad 'Ali community?
5. What other groups compose and recite ghinnawas?
6. When were ghinnawas sung at weddings?
7. Describe the ritual performed by children to bring rain.
8. What Bedouin story was told to show that the Egyptians lack nobility of origin?
9. How does a modest woman show virtuous womanhood?
10. Why did Lila go to Cairo every few weeks during the first few months she lived with the Awlad 'Ali?
Essay Topic 1
Using examples from the book, discuss how providers (persons in authority) treat their dependents.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss veiling and the meaning of veiling in a Bedouin society, using examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss why ghinnawas, the poetry of the Awlad 'Ali, are veiled sentiments.
This section contains 1,401 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)