|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During World War II, who fought battles on Bedouin soil?
2. In a Bedouin story, what was God's reason for forbidding Adam and Eve to eat fruit from a particular tree?
3. Where did Adam and Eve meet again after God banished them?
4. When Lila did her fieldwork, how many of the five core household heads married paternal first cousins?
5. What were women said to fear?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why were the core families where Lila stayed able to avoid cooperating in government settlement schemes?
2. What questions and doubts do anthropologists deal with when doing field work?
3. How did the Bedouin like to honor guests?
4. How did people greet the birth of a girl?
5. Why might a woman have no choice, but to obey her husband?
6. What was the assumption in Egypt about nomadism and semi-nomadism?
7. What did the Awlad 'Ali describe fondly about their lives in the desert?
8. What did Rashid's brothers want him to do about a runaway second wife?
9. In what behavior would a good bride engage in on her wedding day?
10. What did clients do for their patrons?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss veiling and the meaning of veiling in a Bedouin society, using examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the response to death in everyday language and behavior to the sentiments expressed in poetry and crying.
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the book, discuss how autonomy relates to hierarchy in the Awlad 'Ali society. Define your terms when writing your essay.
This section contains 1,126 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)