|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gave the Awlad 'Ali rights to land in the Western desert in the nineteenth century?
2. What pious activity was forbidden to menstruating women?
3. When did the Awlad 'Ali migrate into Egypt?
4. What were women said to fear?
5. When was Lila's host mysteriously absent for a period?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the Awlad 'Ali describe fondly about their lives in the desert?
2. When did the Awlad 'Ali learn to attribute blame when something happened?
3. What did patrons do for clients?
4. How far had some men traveled outside the Awlad 'Ali community?
5. How were brides carried from her natal home in the past and when Lila lived with the Awlad 'Ali?
6. What other groups compose and recite ghinnawas?
7. Why were the core families where Lila stayed able to avoid cooperating in government settlement schemes?
8. How do reactions to a husband's second marriage vary?
9. When and why were the Awlad 'Ali given rights to land in the Western desert?
10. Why did Mabruka refuse to attend the wedding when her husband married a second wife?
Essay Topic 1
Using examples from the book, discuss the reasons why Lila's father accompanied her when she made her first contact with the Awlad 'Ali.
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from the book, discuss how agnation and patrilineality relate to the Awald 'Ali. Make sure that you define the terms in your discussion and use quotes from the book to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the image that Lila had of the Bedouins before she began her fieldwork and the reality of what life was really like among the Bedouins. Use examples from the book.
This section contains 1,307 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)