|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What colors were associated with purity and with men?
2. What was the standard by which status was measured and hierarchy determined in Awlad 'Ali society?
3. In the Bedouin community where Lila lived, how many times a day did the men try to pray?
4. Which city was near the mountain where Adam and Eve met again after being banished from the garden by God?
5. What values were at the heart of the Awlad 'Ali moral system?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did patrons do for clients?
2. How does a modest woman show virtuous womanhood?
3. What did the Awlad 'Ali describe fondly about their lives in the desert?
4. Under what circumstances could a woman kill an animal?
5. In what behavior would a good bride engage in on her wedding day?
6. Why did Lila go to Cairo every few weeks during the first few months she lived with the Awlad 'Ali?
7. How did Nafla resist an unwanted marriage when she was fourteen?
8. How were brides carried from her natal home in the past and when Lila lived with the Awlad 'Ali?
9. Why was the Haj's mother reserved with Lila at first and why did her attitude change?
10. How could a woman resist a tyrannical husband?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using examples from the book, discuss the reasons why Lila's father accompanied her when she made her first contact with the Awlad 'Ali.
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from the book, discuss how providers (persons in authority) treat their dependents.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the structure and form of Awlad 'Ali poetry, the ghinnawa.
This section contains 861 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)