|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During World War II, who fought battles on Bedouin soil?
2. What was the name of the Haj's first wife?
3. What colors were associated with purity and with men?
4. What color cummerbund would the women of the Awlad 'Ali wear around their waists?
5. What does an unmarried girl use to cover her head?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Lila rarely able to tape-record anything when she was in the field?
2. Why did foreigners call taxis in Alexandria "flying coffins"?
3. What is a ghinnawa?
4. In the past, what was the relationship between the Awlad 'Ali and the Mrabtin?
5. How is the threat of sexuality to the Bedouin system dealt with?
6. When and why were the Awlad 'Ali given rights to land in the Western desert?
7. How do reactions to a husband's second marriage vary?
8. How did people greet the birth of a girl?
9. Why was poetry gradually disappearing from public ceremonial occasions?
10. How are ghinnawas linked to romantic love?
Essay Topic 1
Using examples from the book, discuss how autonomy relates to hierarchy in the Awlad 'Ali society. Define your terms when writing your essay.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the practice of divorce among the Awlad 'Ali. Give specific examples from the book and explain what implications divorce might have among the Bedouin.
Essay Topic 3
Argue whether among the Awlad 'Ali there is a moral basis for social hierarchy or whether social hierarchy is based on externals like age, wealth, or gender. Use examples from the book to support your place.
This section contains 1,167 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)