|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What colors were associated with uncleanliness and women?
2. How long was a woman sexually taboo after giving birth?
3. In a folktale, what did Muhammad buh Sultan send to be watered at the spring where a beautiful girl lived?
4. What drapes over the tent or automobile that carries a bride to her new home?
5. Before Lila arrived, how long had it been since the Awlad 'Ali migrated to the desert?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the past, what was the relationship between the Awlad 'Ali and the Mrabtin?
2. In what behavior would a good bride engage in on her wedding day?
3. How did people greet the birth of a boy?
4. Why did Bedouin women keep their ties to their kin even after marriage?
5. How were brides carried from her natal home in the past and when Lila lived with the Awlad 'Ali?
6. How far had some men traveled outside the Awlad 'Ali community?
7. What did clients do for their patrons?
8. Why did Lila go to Cairo every few weeks during the first few months she lived with the Awlad 'Ali?
9. How were Lila's expectations of the Bedouins different from the reality?
10. Under what circumstances could a woman kill an animal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the structure and form of Awlad 'Ali poetry, the ghinnawa.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss why "Veiled Sentiments" could be considered an ethnography. Define ethnography in your essay.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss why ghinnawas, the poetry of the Awlad 'Ali, are veiled sentiments.
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)