|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Adam and Eve meet again after God banished them?
2. What did Bedouins believe would dry up a new mother's milk?
3. Where did God banish Eve after she ate the fruit?
4. When did military rule of the Western desert end?
5. When did the Awlad 'Ali typically consummate a marriage after the wedding?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the Awlad 'Ali describe fondly about their lives in the desert?
2. Why might a woman have no choice, but to obey her husband?
3. When and why were the Awlad 'Ali given rights to land in the Western desert?
4. Under what circumstances could a woman kill an animal?
5. Why did Bedouin women keep their ties to their kin even after marriage?
6. What did Rashid's brothers want him to do about a runaway second wife?
7. How did the Bedouin like to honor guests?
8. How did Nafla resist an unwanted marriage when she was fourteen?
9. How did the Awlad 'Ali obtain water for their daily needs?
10. How did people greet the birth of a boy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the consequences and restrictions Lila faced because of her father's introduction and her status in the Awlad 'Ali community.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss why ghinnawas, the poetry of the Awlad 'Ali, are veiled sentiments.
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the book, discuss the reasons why Lila's father accompanied her when she made her first contact with the Awlad 'Ali.
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)