|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What tribes were the true Awlad 'Ali?
2. Which city was near the mountain where Adam and Eve met again after being banished from the garden by God?
3. Why was Lila's host mysteriously absent for a time?
4. When Lila left, how many children did the Haj have?
5. In a folktale, what did Muhammad buh Sultan send to be watered at the spring where a beautiful girl lived?
Short Essay Questions
1. What questions and doubts do anthropologists deal with when doing field work?
2. What did clients do for their patrons?
3. How did people greet the birth of a girl?
4. What was the difference that a woman might feel during a pregnancy depending on whether she was carrying a boy or a girl?
5. What did Rashid's brothers want him to do about a runaway second wife?
6. How did the Bedouin like to honor guests?
7. What type of living quarters would newly married couples have in the past and when Lila lived among the Awlad 'Ali?
8. What did patrons do for clients?
9. How did people greet the birth of a boy?
10. What did the Awlad 'Ali describe fondly about their lives in the desert?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the consequences and restrictions Lila faced because of her father's introduction and her status in the Awlad 'Ali community.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the response to death in everyday language and behavior to the sentiments expressed in poetry and crying.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss why visits among kin were so important to the Awlad 'Ali and use examples from the book.
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)