|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many inches of rain commonly fell in Awlad 'Ali territory?
2. What city did Lila spend time in while waiting for her father to arrive in Egypt?
3. What word described a Bedouin man's years of youth?
4. How many wives was a wealthy man reputed to have married in his lifetime?
5. When was Lila's host mysteriously absent for a period?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did foreigners call taxis in Alexandria "flying coffins"?
2. When and why were the Awlad 'Ali given rights to land in the Western desert?
3. In the past, what was the relationship between the Awlad 'Ali and the Mrabtin?
4. How does a modest woman show virtuous womanhood?
5. What did Rashid's brothers want him to do about a runaway second wife?
6. What did a woman whose daughter was about to marry a respected man in the camp say that her daughter wanted in a man?
7. How were brides carried from her natal home in the past and when Lila lived with the Awlad 'Ali?
8. How were Lila's expectations of the Bedouins different from the reality?
9. Why did Lila go to Cairo every few weeks during the first few months she lived with the Awlad 'Ali?
10. Describe the ritual performed by children to bring rain.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the consequences and restrictions Lila faced because of her father's introduction and her status in the Awlad 'Ali community.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the formal and informal checks and balances that exist to stop tyrannical providers. Give examples from the book and use quotes to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
Argue whether among the Awlad 'Ali there is a moral basis for social hierarchy or whether social hierarchy is based on externals like age, wealth, or gender. Use examples from the book to support your place.
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)