|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the English translation of the phrase used by the Awlad 'Ali that begins the lament to mourn a death?
(a) Oh, sadness.
(b) Pain and sorrow.
(c) My heart is torn.
(d) Woe is me.
2. During Lila's stay among the Awlad 'Ali, how many ghinnawas did she record?
3. Why did Aziza not remarry?
(a) Because her husband had been abusive.
(b) Because her father would not allow her to remarry.
(c) Because she was raising her son.
(d) Because her brother would not allow her to remarry.
4. How many of the adults in the community where Lila lived had been officially divorced at least once?
(b) Over 1/3.
(d) Over 1/2.
5. How many days did paternal relatives wail and cry at a camp where an old woman died suddenly?
Short Answer Questions
1. What emotion about her husband's second marriage did Mabruka's poetry reveal?
2. What was the theme of the first song and poem Fayga shared with Lila?
3. What accompanied a message Mabruka sends when warning the recipient to beware?
4. What German explorer published ghinnawas?
5. What was the year when the Haj had his first romance?
This section contains 217 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)