|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When a girl of about seventeen died, which male relative cried at the funeral?
(a) Her grandfather.
(b) Her brother.
(c) Her father.
(d) Her uncle.
2. What did the husband of a wife ask her to get rid of after he "left" her for two years?
3. What upset Migdim when she came to stay in the household where Lila was living?
(a) That she was not greeted when she arrived.
(b) That she was shunted from room to room.
(c) That she was given no bedding.
(d) That she was given leftovers.
4. How long after Fayga's marriage did the household notice the first hints she was unhappy with her marriage?
(a) 2 weeks.
(b) 4 weeks.
(c) 3 weeks.
(d) 1 week.
5. How old was the Haj when he finally married?
Short Answer Questions
1. Of the ghinnawas that Lila recorded when she stayed with the Awlad 'Ali, how many were duplicates?
2. In a love story in Chapter 8, who killed a girl when she wailed and cried over the death of the boy she loved?
3. Along with other Muslims, where do the Awlad 'Ali believe children go when they die?
4. How many wives does Aziza's brother have?
5. Where did Rashid sleep when he assigned blame to someone for his second wife's running away?
Short Essay Questions
1. When were ghinnawas sung at weddings?
2. When did the Awlad 'Ali learn to attribute blame when something happened?
3. How are ghinnawas linked to romantic love?
4. How do reactions to a husband's second marriage vary?
5. With whom are poems shared?
6. How does poetry cloak statements?
7. Why was Lila rarely able to tape-record anything when she was in the field?
8. What tape that Lila recorded did most people want to hear again and again?
9. Why were romances unlikely to result in marriage?
10. What did Lila mean when she used the word discourse?
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)