|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many days did paternal relatives wail and cry at a camp where an old woman died suddenly?
2. In a love story told in Chapter 8, how far was a girl buried from the grave of her love?
(a) About a kilometer.
(b) About 3 kilometers.
(c) About 2 kilometers.
(d) About 1/2 kilometer.
3. Where had Aziza's husband been working when they marry?
4. In a love story in Chapter 8, where did a boy and girl in love with each other meet ?
(a) At the tent of an uncle.
(b) At the tent of an old lady.
(c) In the desert.
(d) At the tent of a cousin.
5. What type of occasions would elders avoid so as not to hear ghinnawas publicly sung?
(a) Births of babies.
(b) Courtship ceremonies.
(c) Sheep shearings.
(d) Women's gatherings.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does ghinnawa mean?
2. What part of the body was frequently mentioned in ghinnawas?
3. In a love story in Chapter 8, how close to home was a boy when he fell ill and died?
4. What did the husband of a wife ask her to get rid of after he "left" her for two years?
5. What did Mabruka refuse to accept when Rashid married another wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Mabruka's response when she was accused of sorcery?
2. Why was Lila rarely able to tape-record anything when she was in the field?
3. What tape that Lila recorded did most people want to hear again and again?
4. For the Awlad 'Ali, how does poetry relate to the past?
5. What was Aziza's story?
6. Why were romances unlikely to result in marriage?
7. How are ghinnawas linked to romantic love?
8. How was the youngest adult man in the group of agnatic kinsmen where Lila did her fieldwork killed?
9. Why did Mabruka refuse to attend the wedding when her husband married a second wife?
10. Why wasn't the Haj allowed to marry a girl he loved when he was 17?
This section contains 1,021 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)