|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With whom did women share poems?
(a) With their brothers.
(b) Close kinswomen or women they know well.
(c) With their husbands.
(d) With their fathers.
2. When a girl of about seventeen died, who did her family blame?
(a) A man who drove by too fast in a jeep.
(b) Her grandfather.
(c) Her brother.
(d) A man who frightened her by shooting a rifle in the air.
3. How old was the Haj when he had his first romance?
4. A word the Haj used to refer to a married woman he loved shared the same root word with which other word of the choices?
5. During Lila's stay among the Awlad 'Ali, how many ghinnawas did she record?
Short Answer Questions
1. In a love story in Chapter 8, where did a boy and girl in love with each other meet ?
2. How many syllables are in ghinnawas?
3. In a love story in Chapter 8, how close to home was a boy when he fell ill and died?
4. Whose definition did Lila use to define discourse?
5. How many ghinnawas did a German explorer publish?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was poetry gradually disappearing from public ceremonial occasions?
2. What other groups compose and recite ghinnawas?
3. Why are analogies drawn in poetry between the poet and young children?
4. How do reactions to a husband's second marriage vary?
5. Why was Lila rarely able to tape-record anything when she was in the field?
6. Are ghinnawas a traditional form?
7. What was Mabruka's response when she was accused of sorcery?
8. What tape that Lila recorded did most people want to hear again and again?
9. Why wasn't the Haj allowed to marry a girl he loved when he was 17?
10. How are ghinnawas linked to romantic love?
This section contains 912 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)