|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is revealed in Awlad 'Ali poetry?
2. During what occasion did Lila hear men sing in public?
(c) Sheep shearing.
3. In a love story told in Chapter 8, what happened to a woodcutter?
(a) He sliced his fingers.
(b) He was blinded.
(c) He cut off his hand.
(d) He cut off his foot.
4. When an individual wrote a poem about personal experiences, with whom did the writer identify?
(a) People they respect in the community.
(b) Beloved relatives.
(c) Tragic heroes and heroines from the past.
(d) Respected ancestors.
5. What did the husband of a wife ask her to get rid of after he "left" her for two years?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the only thing that Lila was usually able to tape record?
2. How many ghinnawas did a German explorer publish?
3. When a girl of about seventeen died, which male relative cried at the funeral?
4. How many days did paternal relatives wail and cry at a camp where an old woman died suddenly?
5. From what tribe was the girl that the Haj loved when he was young?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why were romances unlikely to result in marriage?
2. How does poetry cloak statements?
3. What tape that Lila recorded did most people want to hear again and again?
4. How did a niece describe how she found the body of her aunt, after the old woman died suddenly?
5. For the Awlad 'Ali, how does poetry relate to the past?
6. What other groups compose and recite ghinnawas?
7. When were ghinnawas sung at weddings?
8. How was the youngest adult man in the group of agnatic kinsmen where Lila did her fieldwork killed?
9. How are ghinnawas linked to romantic love?
10. When did the Awlad 'Ali learn to attribute blame when something happened?
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)