|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of personal relationships were of great concern among the Bedouins?
(a) Love relationships with persons of the opposite sex.
(b) Father and son relationships.
(c) Relationships between different tribes.
(d) Mother and daughter relationships.
2. What was the only thing that Lila was usually able to tape record?
(a) Business transactions.
(b) Wedding festivities.
(c) Private concerts.
3. How was the ghinnawa divisible?
(a) Into a couplet.
(b) Into a caesura.
(c) Into a hemistiche.
(d) Into a dactyl.
4. What analogy was often drawn in poetry?
(a) An analogy between the poet and brothers.
(b) An analogy between the poet and young children.
(c) An analogy between the poet and sisters.
(d) An analogy between the poet and the tribe.
5. What was the theme of the first song and poem Fayga shared with Lila?
(a) Dissatisfaction with her husband.
(b) Undesirability of polygyny.
(c) The longing to marry another.
(d) Her unhappiness living in her mother's tent.
Short Answer Questions
1. What emotion about her husband's second marriage did Mabruka's poetry reveal?
2. In a love story in Chapter 8, how close to home was a boy when he fell ill and died?
3. Where had Aziza's husband been working when they marry?
4. How many wives does Aziza's brother have?
5. Who was the person usually most responsible for preventing love matches?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why wasn't the Haj allowed to marry a girl he loved when he was 17?
2. In bereavement, how did the Awlad 'Ali express their sentiments?
3. With whom are poems shared?
4. Why are analogies drawn in poetry between the poet and young children?
5. What was Mabruka's response when she was accused of sorcery?
6. How do reactions to a husband's second marriage vary?
7. Why was Lila rarely able to tape-record anything when she was in the field?
8. What two generalizations did Lila make about the range of sentiments expressed in ghinnawas?
9. How is the threat of sexuality to the Bedouin system dealt with?
10. Why was poetry gradually disappearing from public ceremonial occasions?
This section contains 939 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)