|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How would a body be prepared in proper Muslim fashion?
(a) Place drops of water in the person's mouth and tie the jaw shut.
(b) Anoint the body with spices.
(c) Close the eyes with coins.
(d) Wrap the body in a cloth.
2. What upset Migdim when she came to stay in the household where Lila was living?
(a) That she was not greeted when she arrived.
(b) That she was shunted from room to room.
(c) That she was given no bedding.
(d) That she was given leftovers.
3. What project did Mabruka refuse to help with because of Rashid's second marriage?
(a) Sewing a quilt.
(b) Sewing a blanket.
(c) Sewing a dress.
(d) Sewing a tent.
4. At what age did Awlad 'Ali boys marry?
(a) 16 to 30.
(b) 20 to 35.
(c) 20 to 40.
(d) 18 to 25.
5. What was a reason Rashid might have taken a second wife?
(a) His first wife kept giving birth to sickly children.
(b) His first wife asked him to take another wife to help her.
(c) His first wife was not able to have children.
(d) His father insisted that he take another wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. What popular cultural theme becomes tied up with ghinnawas?
2. In a love story in Chapter 8, where did a boy and girl in love with each other meet ?
3. Where did Rashid sleep when he assigned blame to someone for his second wife's running away?
4. When a girl of about seventeen died, which male relative cried at the funeral?
5. How many lines do ghinnawas have?
Short Essay Questions
1. Are ghinnawas a traditional form?
2. Why were romances unlikely to result in marriage?
3. What was Mabruka's response when she was accused of sorcery?
4. With whom are poems shared?
5. How is the threat of sexuality to the Bedouin system dealt with?
6. Why are analogies drawn in poetry between the poet and young children?
7. How are ghinnawas linked to romantic love?
8. What did Lila mean when she used the word discourse?
9. How was the youngest adult man in the group of agnatic kinsmen where Lila did her fieldwork killed?
10. What tape that Lila recorded did most people want to hear again and again?
This section contains 948 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)