|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What were two women doing when Lila captured their conversation and songs on tape?
(a) Caring for children.
(b) Sewing a tent.
(c) Doing laundry.
(d) Visiting neighbors.
2. How many of the adults in the community where Lila lived had been officially divorced at least once?
(a) Over 1/3.
(c) Over 1/2.
3. How old was the Haj when he finally married?
4. What is revealed in Awlad 'Ali poetry?
5. When did a German explorer publish ghinnawas?
Short Answer Questions
1. What emotion about her husband's second marriage did Mabruka's poetry reveal?
2. Where did Rashid sleep when he assigned blame to someone for his second wife's running away?
3. How many syllables are in ghinnawas?
4. What type of personal relationships were of great concern among the Bedouins?
5. In a love story in Chapter 8, where did a boy and girl in love with each other meet ?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Lila mean when she used the word discourse?
2. Why wasn't the Haj allowed to marry a girl he loved when he was 17?
3. What tape that Lila recorded did most people want to hear again and again?
4. How are ghinnawas linked to romantic love?
5. Why did Mabruka refuse to attend the wedding when her husband married a second wife?
6. When were ghinnawas sung at weddings?
7. How is the threat of sexuality to the Bedouin system dealt with?
8. Are ghinnawas a traditional form?
9. Why was poetry gradually disappearing from public ceremonial occasions?
10. What other groups compose and recite ghinnawas?
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)