|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did many poems explicitly request?
(c) Help or care.
2. How many of the adults in the community where Lila lived had been officially divorced at least once?
(b) Over 1/3.
(d) Over 1/2.
3. How many wives does Aziza's brother have?
4. With whom did Aziza have recurring problems?
(a) Her mother.
(b) Her father.
(c) Her uncle.
(d) Her brother.
5. Of the ghinnawas that Lila recorded when she stayed with the Awlad 'Ali, how many were duplicates?
(a) Only a few.
(b) About 20.
(c) About 10.
(d) Only 7 or 8.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what age did Awlad 'Ali girls marry?
2. When Fayga was taken to visit her father, why did she wish to stay longer?
3. Whose definition did Lila use to define discourse?
4. In a photograph on page 192, what did women use as a windbreak?
5. What upset Migdim when she came to stay in the household where Lila was living?
Short Essay Questions
1. Are ghinnawas a traditional form?
2. With whom are poems shared?
3. Why was poetry gradually disappearing from public ceremonial occasions?
4. How does poetry cloak statements?
5. For the Awlad 'Ali, how does poetry relate to the past?
6. When did the Awlad 'Ali learn to attribute blame when something happened?
7. How are ghinnawas linked to romantic love?
8. What is a ghinnawa?
9. What two generalizations did Lila make about the range of sentiments expressed in ghinnawas?
10. How was the youngest adult man in the group of agnatic kinsmen where Lila did her fieldwork killed?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)