|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During what occasion did Lila hear men sing in public?
(a) Sheep shearing.
2. What is revealed in Awlad 'Ali poetry?
3. When did a German explorer publish ghinnawas?
4. In a love story told in Chapter 8, what grew from the graves of a boy and girl who loved each other?
5. What was a theme in the songs between two women that Lila captured on tape?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the person usually most responsible for preventing love matches?
2. What was the theme of the first song and poem Fayga shared with Lila?
3. What did the Awlad 'Ali believe should be evoked by beautiful poetry?
4. How many women had the Haj been prevented from marrying because of a family member?
5. Where had Aziza's husband been working when they marry?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the Awlad 'Ali present themselves through their poems?
2. In bereavement, how did the Awlad 'Ali express their sentiments?
3. What two generalizations did Lila make about the range of sentiments expressed in ghinnawas?
4. With whom are poems shared?
5. When did the Awlad 'Ali learn to attribute blame when something happened?
6. What tape that Lila recorded did most people want to hear again and again?
7. Are ghinnawas a traditional form?
8. Why are analogies drawn in poetry between the poet and young children?
9. When were ghinnawas sung at weddings?
10. What other groups compose and recite ghinnawas?
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)