|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During what occasion did Lila hear men sing in public?
(b) Sheep shearing.
2. What did many poems explicitly request?
(b) Help or care.
3. With whom did women share poems?
(a) With their husbands.
(b) With their brothers.
(c) With their fathers.
(d) Close kinswomen or women they know well.
4. What were two women doing when Lila captured their conversation and songs on tape?
(a) Caring for children.
(b) Doing laundry.
(c) Visiting neighbors.
(d) Sewing a tent.
5. How did women feel if men heard them singing or reciting poetry?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many days did paternal relatives wail and cry at a camp where an old woman died suddenly?
2. In a love story told in Chapter 8, what happened to a woodcutter?
3. From what tribe was the girl that the Haj loved when he was young?
4. What accompanied a message Mabruka sends when warning the recipient to beware?
5. How would a body be prepared in proper Muslim fashion?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a ghinnawa?
2. In bereavement, how did the Awlad 'Ali express their sentiments?
3. How do reactions to a husband's second marriage vary?
4. How did a niece describe how she found the body of her aunt, after the old woman died suddenly?
5. Are ghinnawas a traditional form?
6. Why were romances unlikely to result in marriage?
7. For the Awlad 'Ali, how does poetry relate to the past?
8. Why did Mabruka refuse to attend the wedding when her husband married a second wife?
9. Why are analogies drawn in poetry between the poet and young children?
10. What two generalizations did Lila make about the range of sentiments expressed in ghinnawas?
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)