|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the year when the Haj had his first romance?
2. How many ghinnawas did a German explorer publish?
(a) 100 or so.
(d) 200 or so.
3. During Lila's stay among the Awlad 'Ali, how many ghinnawas did she record?
4. In a photograph on page 192, what did women use as a windbreak?
(a) A hubcap.
(b) A board.
(d) Old olive oil tin.
5. In a love story in Chapter 8, how close to home was a boy when he fell ill and died?
(a) 2 days.
(b) 3 days.
(c) 4 days.
(d) 1 days.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of the ghinnawas that Lila recorded when she stayed with the Awlad 'Ali, how many were duplicates?
2. After the senior magnate questioned family members about the sudden death of an old woman, what causes were suggested for her death?
3. In ghinnawas, what did the word 'agl mean to the Bedouin?
4. What popular cultural theme becomes tied up with ghinnawas?
5. What is the English translation of the phrase used by the Awlad 'Ali that begins the lament to mourn a death?
Short Essay Questions
1. In bereavement, how did the Awlad 'Ali express their sentiments?
2. How are ghinnawas linked to romantic love?
3. What are the costs of arranged marriages?
4. What other groups compose and recite ghinnawas?
5. When were ghinnawas sung at weddings?
6. Why did Mabruka refuse to attend the wedding when her husband married a second wife?
7. With whom are poems shared?
8. Are ghinnawas a traditional form?
9. What is a ghinnawa?
10. What was Aziza's story?
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)