|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Along with other Muslims, where do the Awlad 'Ali believe children go when they die?
(b) A place between heaven and hell.
2. What is the English translation of the phrase used by the Awlad 'Ali that begins the lament to mourn a death?
(a) Oh, sadness.
(b) My heart is torn.
(c) Woe is me.
(d) Pain and sorrow.
3. How many ghinnawas did a German explorer publish?
(a) 200 or so.
(b) 100 or so.
4. What were two women doing when Lila captured their conversation and songs on tape?
(a) Sewing a tent.
(b) Doing laundry.
(c) Caring for children.
(d) Visiting neighbors.
5. What theme became associated most closely with the ghinnawa?
(c) Romantic love.
Short Answer Questions
1. What project did Mabruka refuse to help with because of Rashid's second marriage?
2. How many wives does Aziza's brother have?
3. When Rashid's second wife ran away, who does Rashid blame?
4. What part of the body was frequently mentioned in ghinnawas?
5. In ghinnawas, what did the word 'agl mean to the Bedouin?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Lila rarely able to tape-record anything when she was in the field?
2. With whom are poems shared?
3. Why wasn't the Haj allowed to marry a girl he loved when he was 17?
4. What are the costs of arranged marriages?
5. After hearing so much about the value of hasham, why was Lila shocked to learn about one young woman in the camp?
6. For the Awlad 'Ali, how does poetry relate to the past?
7. In bereavement, how did the Awlad 'Ali express their sentiments?
8. Why were romances unlikely to result in marriage?
9. How was the youngest adult man in the group of agnatic kinsmen where Lila did her fieldwork killed?
10. Why did Mabruka refuse to attend the wedding when her husband married a second wife?
This section contains 944 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)