|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many years before Lila's arrival had a young man been murdered?
(a) 6 years.
(b) 7 years.
(c) 5 years.
(d) 8 years.
2. Where had Aziza's husband been working when they marry?
3. What was Bateson discussing when he argued that art corrects a too-limited and ultimately destructive understanding of the world?
(a) Bedouin art.
(b) Balinese art.
(c) Thai art.
(d) Vietnamese art.
4. Of the ghinnawas that Lila recorded when she stayed with the Awlad 'Ali, how many were duplicates?
(a) Only 7 or 8.
(b) About 20.
(c) About 10.
(d) Only a few.
5. How old was Aziza?
(a) 27 years old.
(b) 33 years old.
(c) 35 years old.
(d) 26 years old.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Lila has difficulty translating imagery that Makraba used in her poetry about her husband's second marriage, what are the images of? When Lila has difficulty translating imagery that Makraba used in her poetry about her husband's second marriage, what are the images of?
2. What part of the body was frequently mentioned in ghinnawas?
3. What is the English translation of the phrase used by the Awlad 'Ali that begins the lament to mourn a death?
4. How many of the adults in the community where Lila lived had been officially divorced at least once?
5. Where did Rashid sleep when he assigned blame to someone for his second wife's running away?
Short Essay Questions
1. In bereavement, how did the Awlad 'Ali express their sentiments?
2. Why was Lila rarely able to tape-record anything when she was in the field?
3. Are ghinnawas a traditional form?
4. With whom are poems shared?
5. How is the threat of sexuality to the Bedouin system dealt with?
6. How did a niece describe how she found the body of her aunt, after the old woman died suddenly?
7. Why did Mabruka refuse to attend the wedding when her husband married a second wife?
8. How do the Awlad 'Ali present themselves through their poems?
9. How was the youngest adult man in the group of agnatic kinsmen where Lila did her fieldwork killed?
10. What other groups compose and recite ghinnawas?
This section contains 933 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)