|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long after Fayga's marriage did the household notice the first hints she was unhappy with her marriage?
(a) 2 weeks.
(b) 1 week.
(c) 3 weeks.
(d) 4 weeks.
2. What primary emotion is featured in ghinnawas?
3. At what age did Awlad 'Ali girls marry?
(a) 13 to 17.
(b) 17 to 25.
(c) 14 to 18.
(d) 15 to 20.
4. When a girl of about seventeen died, which male relative cried at the funeral?
(a) Her uncle.
(b) Her father.
(c) Her grandfather.
(d) Her brother.
5. In an archetypal love story, where did a boy go to get dates?
Short Answer Questions
1. In ghinnawas, what did the word 'agl mean to the Bedouin?
2. What type of occasions would elders avoid so as not to hear ghinnawas publicly sung?
3. In a love story in Chapter 8, who killed a girl when she wailed and cried over the death of the boy she loved?
4. After the senior magnate questioned family members about the sudden death of an old woman, what causes were suggested for her death?
5. What emotion about her husband's second marriage did Mabruka's poetry reveal?
Short Essay Questions
1. What other groups compose and recite ghinnawas?
2. What was Mabruka's response when she was accused of sorcery?
3. When were ghinnawas sung at weddings?
4. What did Lila mean when she used the word discourse?
5. How are ghinnawas linked to romantic love?
6. What are the costs of arranged marriages?
7. Why was poetry gradually disappearing from public ceremonial occasions?
8. How does poetry cloak statements?
9. How was the youngest adult man in the group of agnatic kinsmen where Lila did her fieldwork killed?
10. With whom are poems shared?
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)