|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does ghinnawa mean?
(a) Little song.
(b) Quiet song.
(c) Beautiful poem.
(d) Thoughtful poem.
2. How old was Migdim?
3. What is the English translation of the phrase used by the Awlad 'Ali that begins the lament to mourn a death?
(a) My heart is torn.
(b) Oh, sadness.
(c) Woe is me.
(d) Pain and sorrow.
4. In a love story in Chapter 8, how close to home was a boy when he fell ill and died?
(a) 4 days.
(b) 3 days.
(c) 2 days.
(d) 1 days.
5. When Rashid's second wife ran away, who does Rashid blame?
(a) His brother.
(b) A child in the household.
(c) His first wife.
(d) A woman in the household.
Short Answer Questions
1. In a poem recited about his second wife, what image does Rashid use?
2. After the senior magnate questioned family members about the sudden death of an old woman, what causes were suggested for her death?
3. What upset Migdim when she came to stay in the household where Lila was living?
4. In a photograph on page 192, what did women use as a windbreak?
5. What were two women doing when Lila captured their conversation and songs on tape?
Short Essay Questions
1. What other groups compose and recite ghinnawas?
2. How do reactions to a husband's second marriage vary?
3. After hearing so much about the value of hasham, why was Lila shocked to learn about one young woman in the camp?
4. Why was Lila rarely able to tape-record anything when she was in the field?
5. When were ghinnawas sung at weddings?
6. How do the Awlad 'Ali present themselves through their poems?
7. For the Awlad 'Ali, how does poetry relate to the past?
8. What tape that Lila recorded did most people want to hear again and again?
9. What are the costs of arranged marriages?
10. How are ghinnawas linked to romantic love?
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)