|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What emotion about her husband's second marriage did Mabruka's poetry reveal?
2. How many ghinnawas did a German explorer publish?
(a) 100 or so.
(c) 200 or so.
3. What did the husband of a wife ask her to get rid of after he "left" her for two years?
4. What was the year when the Haj had his first romance?
5. When a girl of about seventeen died, which male relative cried at the funeral?
(a) Her uncle.
(b) Her brother.
(c) Her father.
(d) Her grandfather.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did many poems explicitly request?
2. In a love story in Chapter 8, who killed a girl when she wailed and cried over the death of the boy she loved?
3. With whom did women share poems?
4. When Fayga was taken to visit her father, why did she wish to stay longer?
5. What did Mabruka refuse to accept when Rashid married another wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. What tape that Lila recorded did most people want to hear again and again?
2. How are ghinnawas linked to romantic love?
3. Why were romances unlikely to result in marriage?
4. Are ghinnawas a traditional form?
5. What two generalizations did Lila make about the range of sentiments expressed in ghinnawas?
6. How is the threat of sexuality to the Bedouin system dealt with?
7. What did Lila mean when she used the word discourse?
8. What other groups compose and recite ghinnawas?
9. Why was Lila rarely able to tape-record anything when she was in the field?
10. When did the Awlad 'Ali learn to attribute blame when something happened?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)