|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old was Migdim?
2. After the senior magnate questioned family members about the sudden death of an old woman, what causes were suggested for her death?
(a) Sadness because her daughter had died.
(b) A broken heart because her son died.
(c) A stroke.
(d) A heart attack.
3. What does ghinnawa mean?
(a) Thoughtful poem.
(b) Little song.
(c) Beautiful poem.
(d) Quiet song.
4. How many ghinnawas did a German explorer publish?
(a) 200 or so.
(d) 100 or so.
5. In a love story told in Chapter 8, how far was a girl buried from the grave of her love?
(a) About 2 kilometers.
(b) About 3 kilometers.
(c) About a kilometer.
(d) About 1/2 kilometer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did a physician say caused the death of a girl about seventeen years old?
2. At what age did Awlad 'Ali boys marry?
3. What was a reason Rashid might have taken a second wife?
4. What type of personal relationships were of great concern among the Bedouins?
5. Which particular gift given to her husband's new bride did the first wife Mabruka resent?
Short Essay Questions
1. After hearing so much about the value of hasham, why was Lila shocked to learn about one young woman in the camp?
2. Are ghinnawas a traditional form?
3. How was the youngest adult man in the group of agnatic kinsmen where Lila did her fieldwork killed?
4. When were ghinnawas sung at weddings?
5. How did a niece describe how she found the body of her aunt, after the old woman died suddenly?
6. Why are analogies drawn in poetry between the poet and young children?
7. How is the threat of sexuality to the Bedouin system dealt with?
8. What tape that Lila recorded did most people want to hear again and again?
9. What other groups compose and recite ghinnawas?
10. How does poetry cloak statements?
This section contains 1,016 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)