|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In a love story in Chapter 8, who killed a girl when she wailed and cried over the death of the boy she loved?
(a) Her brother.
(b) Her uncle.
(c) Her cousin.
(d) Her father.
2. What upset Migdim when she came to stay in the household where Lila was living?
(a) That she was shunted from room to room.
(b) That she was not greeted when she arrived.
(c) That she was given leftovers.
(d) That she was given no bedding.
3. What did a physician say caused the death of a girl about seventeen years old?
(a) A tumor.
(b) A ruptured appendix.
(c) A concussion.
4. With whom did men share poems?
(a) Their uncles.
(b) Their fathers.
(c) Close kinsmen of their generation or lower status men.
(d) Men who are a generation older than their fathers.
5. Where did Rashid sleep when he assigned blame to someone for his second wife's running away?
(a) The men's guest room.
(b) A tent.
(c) His first wife's room.
(d) His father's home.
Short Answer Questions
1. In a poem recited about his second wife, what image does Rashid use?
2. Where had Aziza's husband been working when they marry?
3. In what point of view do they write ghinnawas?
4. How many lines do ghinnawas have?
5. The absence of what was marked by sharing of poetry between individuals?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do reactions to a husband's second marriage vary?
2. After hearing so much about the value of hasham, why was Lila shocked to learn about one young woman in the camp?
3. Why wasn't the Haj allowed to marry a girl he loved when he was 17?
4. Why were romances unlikely to result in marriage?
5. For the Awlad 'Ali, how does poetry relate to the past?
6. Are ghinnawas a traditional form?
7. What did Lila mean when she used the word discourse?
8. Why did Mabruka refuse to attend the wedding when her husband married a second wife?
9. Why are analogies drawn in poetry between the poet and young children?
10. What are the costs of arranged marriages?
This section contains 980 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)