|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What types of trees did the Awlad 'Ali plant?
(a) Sycamore and lotus trees.
(b) Olive and almond trees.
(c) Willow and mulberry trees.
(d) Palm and date trees.
2. What tragedy had a middle-aged wife of a powerful tribal leader experienced two and a half years before she recited a poem to Lila?
(a) Her husband was killed.
(b) Her daughter died.
(c) Lost her only son.
(d) Her brother died.
3. What colors were associated with purity and with men?
(a) Black and red.
(b) Blue and white.
(c) Yellow and red.
(d) White and green.
4. What color was the compound where Lila lived with the Awlad 'Ali?
(b) Light blue.
5. Where was a young man shot during an altercation between some Bedouin men and a group of Egyptian soldiers riding on a train through a Bedouin area?
(a) In the back.
(b) In the arm.
(c) In the mouth.
(d) In the chest.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what city had the bonds between Bedouin kin been weakened in favor of those between neighbors?
2. How frequent were droughts in Awlad 'Ali territory?
3. What color cloth would a woman in mourning tie around her waist?
4. What changed the Haj's mother's attitude toward Lila?
5. When did Lila first realize the sensitive nature of the poems recited by the women?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did people greet the birth of a girl?
2. How did the Bedouin like to honor guests?
3. Why was the Haj's mother reserved with Lila at first and why did her attitude change?
4. How does a modest woman show virtuous womanhood?
5. Under what circumstances could a woman kill an animal?
6. How were brides carried from her natal home in the past and when Lila lived with the Awlad 'Ali?
7. What questions and doubts do anthropologists deal with when doing field work?
8. Why might a woman have no choice, but to obey her husband?
9. In the past, what was the relationship between the Awlad 'Ali and the Mrabtin?
10. How did people greet the birth of a boy?
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)