|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After a feast for a neighbor who returned from a pilgrimage, what did Lila and some adolescent girls do?
(a) Carried water.
(b) Collected firewood.
(d) Prepared food.
2. What types of trees surrounded crude structures at the edge of the Western desert?
(a) Sycamore trees.
(b) Almond Trees.
(c) Dwarf fig trees.
(d) Olive Trees.
3. Who helped Lila finally begin to interpret the poems she was hearing?
(a) An Egyptian in Alexandria.
(b) A Libyan in Cairo.
(c) A Bedouin in Cairo.
(d) A Jordanian in Alexandria.
4. How many inches of rain commonly fell in Awlad 'Ali territory?
(a) 1 to 2 inches.
(b) 2 to 4 inches.
(c) 5 to 6 inches.
(d) 7 to 8 inches.
5. What did the Awlad 'Ali believe distinguished them from and made them superior to other peoples?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was a young man shot during an altercation between some Bedouin men and a group of Egyptian soldiers riding on a train through a Bedouin area?
2. What color cloth would a woman in mourning tie around her waist?
3. Which direction did Lila travel from Alexandria to reach the area where the Awald 'Ali lived?
4. When did Lila first realize the sensitive nature of the poems recited by the women?
5. What were women said to fear?
Short Essay Questions
1. Under what circumstances could a woman kill an animal?
2. What was Mabruka's response when she was accused of sorcery?
3. Describe the ritual performed by children to bring rain.
4. How did the Awlad 'Ali obtain water for their daily needs?
5. How does a modest woman show virtuous womanhood?
6. How could a woman resist a tyrannical husband?
7. How did Nafla resist an unwanted marriage when she was fourteen?
8. Why wasn't the Haj allowed to marry a girl he loved when he was 17?
9. What was the difference that a woman might feel during a pregnancy depending on whether she was carrying a boy or a girl?
10. What are the costs of arranged marriages?
This section contains 976 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)