|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Before Lila arrived, how long had it been since the Awlad 'Ali migrated to the desert?
(a) 5 years.
(b) 10 years.
(c) 12 years.
(d) 7 years.
2. What bird represented the Bedouin ideals of manhood?
3. What nickname did foreigners give Alexandrian taxis?
(a) Speeding coffins.
(b) Flying coffins.
(c) Death wagons.
(d) Death traps.
4. What was a man who needed women called?
(a) A donkey.
(b) A turkey.
(c) A dog.
(d) A skunk.
5. What was the standard by which status was measured and hierarchy determined in Awlad 'Ali society?
(b) Strength or dignity.
(c) Autonomy or freedom.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Adam and Eve meet again after God banished them?
2. In a story about the creation of Adam and Eve, what instrument was the Devil playing?
3. In the "Alexandria Quartet," what was a Bedouin youth carrying on his head?
4. When did military rule of the Western desert end?
5. How old was the man who lost respect because he submitted to his passions and chased women?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the Awlad 'Ali describe fondly about their lives in the desert?
2. What did clients do for their patrons?
3. How far had some men traveled outside the Awlad 'Ali community?
4. What did a woman whose daughter was about to marry a respected man in the camp say that her daughter wanted in a man?
5. What did patrons do for clients?
6. Why did Lila go to Cairo every few weeks during the first few months she lived with the Awlad 'Ali?
7. Why did foreigners call taxis in Alexandria "flying coffins"?
8. How did people greet the birth of a boy?
9. How were Lila's expectations of the Bedouins different from the reality?
10. How did the Bedouin like to honor guests?
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)