|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How far did the Western Desert stretch to the Libyan border?
(a) 1,000 kilometers.
(b) 1,500 kilometers.
(c) 500 kilometers.
(d) 600 kilometers.
2. What illness did the Bedouin believe could be caused by fright?
3. From what country did the Awlad 'Ali migrate?
(b) Saudi Arabia.
4. In a folk tale, what did the food look like that a holy man gave a barren woman who asked for something to make her fertile?
5. When did Lila live with the Awlad 'Ali?
(a) April 1981 to June 1983.
(b) March 1978 to November 1980.
(c) January 1976 to March 1978.
(d) October 1978 to May 1980.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote the "Alexandria Quartet?"
2. In a Bedouin story, what was God's reason for forbidding Adam and Eve to eat fruit from a particular tree?
3. Before Lila arrived, how long had it been since the Awlad 'Ali migrated to the desert?
4. During what month was rain essential for the Awlad 'Ali to water their crops?
5. What types of trees did the Awlad 'Ali plant?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Lila go to Cairo every few weeks during the first few months she lived with the Awlad 'Ali?
2. What was the difference that a woman might feel during a pregnancy depending on whether she was carrying a boy or a girl?
3. Why did Bedouin women keep their ties to their kin even after marriage?
4. Describe the ritual performed by children to bring rain.
5. How did Nafla resist an unwanted marriage when she was fourteen?
6. What questions and doubts do anthropologists deal with when doing field work?
7. What did clients do for their patrons?
8. Why were the core families where Lila stayed able to avoid cooperating in government settlement schemes?
9. Why might a woman have no choice, but to obey her husband?
10. When and why were the Awlad 'Ali given rights to land in the Western desert?
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)