|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the section "Identification and Sharing," why did a woman threaten to leave her husband?
(a) Because he hit her.
(b) Because he took another wife.
(c) Because he slurred her father's name.
(d) Because he mistreated a child.
2. In the camp where Lila lived, how many adults were in the fourteen households that made up the camp?
3. How many children did the man, who was criticized for going to find his runaway second wife, have with his first wife?
4. After a feast for a neighbor who returned from a pilgrimage, what did Lila and some adolescent girls do?
(a) Collected firewood.
(b) Carried water.
(d) Prepared food.
5. What would ewes have been fed in the desert?
Short Answer Questions
1. What were the client tribes called?
2. How far did the Western Desert stretch to the Libyan border?
3. During what month was rain essential for the Awlad 'Ali to water their crops?
4. During World War II, who fought battles on Bedouin soil?
5. When Lila did her fieldwork, how many of the five core household heads married paternal first cousins?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the assumption in Egypt about nomadism and semi-nomadism?
2. Why were the core families where Lila stayed able to avoid cooperating in government settlement schemes?
3. How did people greet the birth of a girl?
4. Why did foreigners call taxis in Alexandria "flying coffins"?
5. How were brides carried from her natal home in the past and when Lila lived with the Awlad 'Ali?
6. Why might a woman have no choice, but to obey her husband?
7. How did Nafla resist an unwanted marriage when she was fourteen?
8. How far had some men traveled outside the Awlad 'Ali community?
9. Why did Bedouin women keep their ties to their kin even after marriage?
10. What was the difference that a woman might feel during a pregnancy depending on whether she was carrying a boy or a girl?
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)