|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did the Awlad 'Ali migrate to the desert?
2. What nickname did foreigners give Alexandrian taxis?
(a) Death traps.
(b) Speeding coffins.
(c) Death wagons.
(d) Flying coffins.
3. When did Lila live with the Awlad 'Ali?
(a) January 1976 to March 1978.
(b) March 1978 to November 1980.
(c) April 1981 to June 1983.
(d) October 1978 to May 1980.
4. Who wrote the "Alexandria Quartet?"
(a) Philip Manchester.
(b) Robert Douchester.
(c) David Corell.
(d) Lawrence Durrell.
5. In a folktale, what did Muhammad buh Sultan send to be watered at the spring where a beautiful girl lived?
(a) A sheep.
(b) A camel.
(c) A goat.
(d) A horse.
Short Answer Questions
1. During what month was rain essential for the Awlad 'Ali to water their crops?
2. What color cummerbund would the women of the Awlad 'Ali wear around their waists?
3. What color was the compound where Lila lived with the Awlad 'Ali?
4. How old was the runaway second wife of the husband who was criticized for going to find her?
5. What was the standard by which status was measured and hierarchy determined in Awlad 'Ali society?
Short Essay Questions
1. How could a woman resist a tyrannical husband?
2. In the past, what was the relationship between the Awlad 'Ali and the Mrabtin?
3. How did people greet the birth of a boy?
4. How did people greet the birth of a girl?
5. What did clients do for their patrons?
6. What type of living quarters would newly married couples have in the past and when Lila lived among the Awlad 'Ali?
7. Why did Lila go to Cairo every few weeks during the first few months she lived with the Awlad 'Ali?
8. When and why were the Awlad 'Ali given rights to land in the Western desert?
9. How did Nafla resist an unwanted marriage when she was fourteen?
10. How far had some men traveled outside the Awlad 'Ali community?
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)