|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During the first few months that Lila lived with the Awlad 'Ali, how often would Lila travel to Cairo?
(a) Every 2-3 weeks.
(b) Every other month.
(c) Once a month.
(d) Every week.
2. What nickname did foreigners give Alexandrian taxis?
(a) Speeding coffins.
(b) Death traps.
(c) Flying coffins.
(d) Death wagons.
3. What tragedy had a middle-aged wife of a powerful tribal leader experienced two and a half years before she recited a poem to Lila?
(a) Lost her only son.
(b) Her brother died.
(c) Her daughter died.
(d) Her husband was killed.
4. When did Lila's new life begin to seem natural, so she felt as if she belonged with the Awlad 'Ali?
(a) After 12 months.
(b) After 6 months.
(c) After 18 months.
(d) After 15 months.
5. How many client households were in the camp where Lila lived?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does an unmarried girl use to cover her head?
2. Who wrote the "Alexandria Quartet?"
3. What did Bedouins believe would dry up a new mother's milk?
4. In a folk tale, what did the food look like that a holy man gave a barren woman who asked for something to make her fertile?
5. In Bedouin ideology, what determined a man's authority?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did people greet the birth of a boy?
2. What did Rashid's brothers want him to do about a runaway second wife?
3. Why might a woman have no choice, but to obey her husband?
4. How are ghinnawas linked to romantic love?
5. What was the difference that a woman might feel during a pregnancy depending on whether she was carrying a boy or a girl?
6. How does a modest woman show virtuous womanhood?
7. How far had some men traveled outside the Awlad 'Ali community?
8. What did a woman whose daughter was about to marry a respected man in the camp say that her daughter wanted in a man?
9. How did Nafla resist an unwanted marriage when she was fourteen?
10. When did the Awlad 'Ali learn to attribute blame when something happened?
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)