|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What nickname did foreigners give Alexandrian taxis?
(a) Death wagons.
(b) Flying coffins.
(c) Speeding coffins.
(d) Death traps.
2. When was Lila's host mysteriously absent for a period?
(a) Toward the end of Lila's time in the field.
(b) Six months before the end of Lila's fieldwork.
(c) For her first two months in the field.
(d) For six months during the second year of Lila's fieldwork.
3. In a story about the creation of Adam and Eve, what instrument was the Devil playing?
(a) A drum.
(b) A stringed instrument.
(c) A flute.
(d) A harmonica.
4. In the section "Identification and Sharing," why did a woman threaten to leave her husband?
(a) Because he slurred her father's name.
(b) Because he mistreated a child.
(c) Because he hit her.
(d) Because he took another wife.
5. What did the Awlad 'Ali believe distinguished them from and made them superior to other peoples?
Short Answer Questions
1. What were the client tribes called?
2. When Lila left, how many children did the Haj have?
3. What color cummerbund would the women of the Awlad 'Ali wear around their waists?
4. When did Lila's new life begin to seem natural, so she felt as if she belonged with the Awlad 'Ali?
5. How much of the Egyptian population consist of Bedouins of the Western desert when Lila did her fieldwork?
Short Essay Questions
1. How were Lila's expectations of the Bedouins different from the reality?
2. How did Nafla resist an unwanted marriage when she was fourteen?
3. Why did Lila's father go with her to the area where the Awlad 'Ali lived?
4. What was the difference that a woman might feel during a pregnancy depending on whether she was carrying a boy or a girl?
5. Why did foreigners call taxis in Alexandria "flying coffins"?
6. What did a woman whose daughter was about to marry a respected man in the camp say that her daughter wanted in a man?
7. Describe the ritual performed by children to bring rain.
8. Under what circumstances could a woman kill an animal?
9. How did people greet the birth of a girl?
10. What did clients do for their patrons?
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)