|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What lake could one smell after crossing a one-lane bridge leading from Alexandria to the desert?
(a) Lake Idku.
(b) Lake Timsah.
(c) Lake Mariut.
(d) Lake Nasser.
2. When did the Awlad 'Ali migrate into Egypt?
(a) 14th century.
(b) 13th century.
(c) End of the 17th or 18th centuries.
(d) End of the 15th or 16th centuries.
3. What beverage is mentioned in the "Alexandria Quartet?"
4. When did Lila first realize the sensitive nature of the poems recited by the women?
(a) When Lila heard a poem at a wedding.
(b) When a shepherd's wife recited one of these poems.
(c) When Lila heard a poem at a birth.
(d) When Lila heard one of these poems at a funeral.
5. Where did Adam and Eve meet again after God banished them?
(a) Mt. Gilboa.
(b) Mt. Petra.
(c) Mt. Nablus.
(d) Mt. Arafat.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was a man who needed women called?
2. Who was the man who inherited wealth, but lost respect because he submitted to his passions and chased women?
3. What does an unmarried girl use to cover her head?
4. In what city had the bonds between Bedouin kin been weakened in favor of those between neighbors?
5. In a folk tale, what did the food look like that a holy man gave a barren woman who asked for something to make her fertile?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the Awlad 'Ali obtain water for their daily needs?
2. What did patrons do for clients?
3. How did people greet the birth of a boy?
4. What Bedouin story was told to show that the Egyptians lack nobility of origin?
5. How could a woman resist a tyrannical husband?
6. Why were the core families where Lila stayed able to avoid cooperating in government settlement schemes?
7. What questions and doubts do anthropologists deal with when doing field work?
8. How far had some men traveled outside the Awlad 'Ali community?
9. How were Lila's expectations of the Bedouins different from the reality?
10. What did clients do for their patrons?
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)