|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did the Awlad 'Ali typically consummate a marriage after the wedding?
(a) A week after the wedding.
(b) Late at night after the wedding.
(c) Early afternoon of the wedding day.
(d) Morning after the wedding.
2. In what city had the bonds between Bedouin kin been weakened in favor of those between neighbors?
(a) Marsa Matruh.
(b) Sidi Barrani.
(d) El Moderian.
3. Who wrote the "Alexandria Quartet?"
(a) Robert Douchester.
(b) David Corell.
(c) Philip Manchester.
(d) Lawrence Durrell.
4. What values were at the heart of the Awlad 'Ali moral system?
(a) Honesty and justice.
(b) Strength and dignity.
(c) Courage and valor.
(d) Honor and modesty.
5. How old was Nafla when her family tried to force her into a marriage?
Short Answer Questions
1. What tragedy had a middle-aged wife of a powerful tribal leader experienced two and a half years before she recited a poem to Lila?
2. What did the Awlad 'Ali believe distinguished them from and made them superior to other peoples?
3. How frequent were droughts in Awlad 'Ali territory?
4. What form of poetry did the ghinnawas most resemble?
5. When was Lila's host mysteriously absent for a period?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the difference that a woman might feel during a pregnancy depending on whether she was carrying a boy or a girl?
2. Under what circumstances could a woman kill an animal?
3. How were brides carried from her natal home in the past and when Lila lived with the Awlad 'Ali?
4. How were Lila's expectations of the Bedouins different from the reality?
5. Why was the Haj's mother reserved with Lila at first and why did her attitude change?
6. How does a modest woman show virtuous womanhood?
7. In the past, what was the relationship between the Awlad 'Ali and the Mrabtin?
8. Why did foreigners call taxis in Alexandria "flying coffins"?
9. Why did Lila's father go with her to the area where the Awlad 'Ali lived?
10. In what behavior would a good bride engage in on her wedding day?
This section contains 945 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)