|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How far did the Western Desert stretch to the Libyan border?
(a) 1,000 kilometers.
(b) 500 kilometers.
(c) 600 kilometers.
(d) 1,500 kilometers.
2. What illness did the Bedouin believe could be caused by fright?
3. What crop did the Awlad 'Ali sow yearly?
4. How many inches of rain commonly fell in Awlad 'Ali territory?
(a) 2 to 4 inches.
(b) 7 to 8 inches.
(c) 5 to 6 inches.
(d) 1 to 2 inches.
5. What did Bedouins believe caused serious illness?
(a) Being cursed.
(b) Solitary encounters in deserted places with jinn.
(c) The use of an amulet or charm.
(d) Exposure to black magic.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Lila first realize the sensitive nature of the poems recited by the women?
2. At what age was a Bedouin man considered beyond the passions of youth?
3. Which city was near the mountain where Adam and Eve met again after being banished from the garden by God?
4. In the camp where Lila lived, how many adults divorced at least once?
5. In the section "Identification and Sharing," why did a woman threaten to leave her husband?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what behavior would a good bride engage in on her wedding day?
2. How did Nafla resist an unwanted marriage when she was fourteen?
3. Describe the ritual performed by children to bring rain.
4. What Bedouin story was told to show that the Egyptians lack nobility of origin?
5. How does a modest woman show virtuous womanhood?
6. Why were the core families where Lila stayed able to avoid cooperating in government settlement schemes?
7. Under what circumstances could a woman kill an animal?
8. What did clients do for their patrons?
9. What did the Awlad 'Ali describe fondly about their lives in the desert?
10. What was the difference that a woman might feel during a pregnancy depending on whether she was carrying a boy or a girl?
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)