|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In a folktale, when a man gave birth, what carried the baby away?
(a) A bird.
(b) A wild dog.
(c) A gazelle.
(d) An ostrich
2. In a story about the creation of Adam and Eve, what instrument was the Devil playing?
(a) A stringed instrument.
(b) A flute.
(c) A harmonica.
(d) A drum.
3. What types of trees did the Awlad 'Ali plant?
(a) Palm and date trees.
(b) Sycamore and lotus trees.
(c) Olive and almond trees.
(d) Willow and mulberry trees.
4. What types of trees surrounded crude structures at the edge of the Western desert?
(a) Sycamore trees.
(b) Olive Trees.
(c) Dwarf fig trees.
(d) Almond Trees.
5. In the Bedouin community where Lila lived, how many times a day did the men try to pray?
Short Answer Questions
1. What colors were associated with purity and with men?
2. What crop did the Awlad 'Ali sow yearly?
3. In the "Alexandria Quartet," what was a Bedouin youth carrying on his head?
4. What lake could one smell after crossing a one-lane bridge leading from Alexandria to the desert?
5. How old was the man who was criticized for going to find a runaway second wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Lila's father go with her to the area where the Awlad 'Ali lived?
2. Why were the core families where Lila stayed able to avoid cooperating in government settlement schemes?
3. What did the Awlad 'Ali describe fondly about their lives in the desert?
4. What are the costs of arranged marriages?
5. What was the difference that a woman might feel during a pregnancy depending on whether she was carrying a boy or a girl?
6. With whom are poems shared?
7. Why did Mabruka refuse to attend the wedding when her husband married a second wife?
8. How did a niece describe how she found the body of her aunt, after the old woman died suddenly?
9. In the past, what was the relationship between the Awlad 'Ali and the Mrabtin?
10. Why was Lila rarely able to tape-record anything when she was in the field?
This section contains 897 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)