Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During World War II, who fought battles on Bedouin soil?
(a) Egyptians and Libyans.
(d) Germans and British.
2. What was the name of the Haj's first wife?
3. What colors were associated with purity and with men?
(a) White and green.
(b) Blue and white.
(c) Black and red.
(d) Yellow and red.
4. What color cummerbund would the women of the Awlad 'Ali wear around their waists?
5. What does an unmarried girl use to cover her head?
(a) A veil.
(b) A headcloth.
(c) A kerchief.
(d) A small hat.
Short Answer Questions
1. During what month was rain essential for the Awlad 'Ali to water their crops?
2. Who gave the Awlad 'Ali rights to land in the Western desert in the nineteenth century?
3. When did military rule of the Western desert end?
4. What illness did the Bedouin believe could be caused by fright?
5. What beverage is mentioned in the "Alexandria Quartet?"
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Lila rarely able to tape-record anything when she was in the field?
2. Why did foreigners call taxis in Alexandria "flying coffins"?
3. What is a ghinnawa?
4. In the past, what was the relationship between the Awlad 'Ali and the Mrabtin?
5. How is the threat of sexuality to the Bedouin system dealt with?
6. When and why were the Awlad 'Ali given rights to land in the Western desert?
7. How do reactions to a husband's second marriage vary?
8. How did people greet the birth of a girl?
9. Why was poetry gradually disappearing from public ceremonial occasions?
10. How are ghinnawas linked to romantic love?
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)