|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did the Awlad 'Ali migrate into Egypt?
(a) End of the 17th or 18th centuries.
(b) 13th century.
(c) 14th century.
(d) End of the 15th or 16th centuries.
2. What color cummerbund would the women of the Awlad 'Ali wear around their waists?
3. In a story told to Lila about loving daughters and abusive and heartless sons, how many daughters did a woman have?
4. What beach is mentioned in the "Alexandria Quartet?"
(d) Bourg El Arab.
5. How many wives was a wealthy man reputed to have married in his lifetime?
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Lila live with the Awlad 'Ali?
2. What was a man who needed women called?
3. What types of trees did the Awlad 'Ali plant?
4. In the "Alexandria Quartet," what was a Bedouin youth carrying on his head?
5. What illness did the Bedouin believe could be caused by fright?
Short Essay Questions
1. What questions and doubts do anthropologists deal with when doing field work?
2. Why did Lila go to Cairo every few weeks during the first few months she lived with the Awlad 'Ali?
3. What Bedouin story was told to show that the Egyptians lack nobility of origin?
4. How did people greet the birth of a girl?
5. What did the Awlad 'Ali describe fondly about their lives in the desert?
6. What type of living quarters would newly married couples have in the past and when Lila lived among the Awlad 'Ali?
7. Why might a woman have no choice, but to obey her husband?
8. How were brides carried from her natal home in the past and when Lila lived with the Awlad 'Ali?
9. How did Nafla resist an unwanted marriage when she was fourteen?
10. Why was the Haj's mother reserved with Lila at first and why did her attitude change?
This section contains 897 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)