|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did the Awlad 'Ali migrate into Egypt?
(a) End of the 17th or 18th centuries.
(b) 13th century.
(c) 14th century.
(d) End of the 15th or 16th centuries.
2. How old was the man who was criticized for going to find a runaway second wife?
(a) Late 60's.
(b) Late 30's.
(c) Early 50's.
(d) Early 40's.
3. What was the name of the Haj's first wife?
4. How much of the Egyptian population consist of Bedouins of the Western desert when Lila did her fieldwork?
(a) 5 percent.
(b) 7 percent.
(c) 3 percent.
(d) 1 percent.
5. What changed the Haj's mother's attitude toward Lila?
(a) Her brother's funeral.
(b) Her husband's funeral.
(c) Her son's wedding.
(d) Her daughter's wedding.
Short Answer Questions
1. What form of poetry did the ghinnawas most resemble?
2. In the section "Identification and Sharing," why did a woman threaten to leave her husband?
3. What nickname did foreigners give Alexandrian taxis?
4. How old was the man who lost respect because he submitted to his passions and chased women?
5. In a story told to Lila about loving daughters and abusive and heartless sons, how many daughters did a woman have?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Lila go to Cairo every few weeks during the first few months she lived with the Awlad 'Ali?
2. What did the Awlad 'Ali describe fondly about their lives in the desert?
3. What did clients do for their patrons?
4. What was the assumption in Egypt about nomadism and semi-nomadism?
5. How did people greet the birth of a girl?
6. What type of living quarters would newly married couples have in the past and when Lila lived among the Awlad 'Ali?
7. What did a woman whose daughter was about to marry a respected man in the camp say that her daughter wanted in a man?
8. Under what circumstances could a woman kill an animal?
9. Why might a woman have no choice, but to obey her husband?
10. In the past, what was the relationship between the Awlad 'Ali and the Mrabtin?
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)