|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What lake could one smell after crossing a one-lane bridge leading from Alexandria to the desert?
(a) Lake Mariut.
(b) Lake Nasser.
(c) Lake Idku.
(d) Lake Timsah.
2. At what age was a Bedouin man considered beyond the passions of youth?
3. From what country did the Awlad 'Ali migrate?
(d) Saudi Arabia.
4. What form of poetry did the ghinnawas most resemble?
(a) A quatrain.
(b) A cinquain.
(c) An Italian canzone.
(d) Japanese haiku.
5. What was the name of the Haj's first wife?
Short Answer Questions
1. What bird represented the Bedouin ideals of manhood?
2. What was a man who needed women called?
3. What color cloth would a woman in mourning tie around her waist?
4. What tragedy had a middle-aged wife of a powerful tribal leader experienced two and a half years before she recited a poem to Lila?
5. What city did Lila spend time in while waiting for her father to arrive in Egypt?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Nafla resist an unwanted marriage when she was fourteen?
2. What Bedouin story was told to show that the Egyptians lack nobility of origin?
3. When and why were the Awlad 'Ali given rights to land in the Western desert?
4. Why was the Haj's mother reserved with Lila at first and why did her attitude change?
5. How does a modest woman show virtuous womanhood?
6. Why did Lila go to Cairo every few weeks during the first few months she lived with the Awlad 'Ali?
7. What was the assumption in Egypt about nomadism and semi-nomadism?
8. Why did Bedouin women keep their ties to their kin even after marriage?
9. Describe the ritual performed by children to bring rain.
10. Why might a woman have no choice, but to obey her husband?
This section contains 886 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)