|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was Lila's host mysteriously absent for a time?
(a) He was in prison.
(b) He was detained by government authorities.
(c) He had been arrested in Cairo.
(d) He was visiting kin.
2. During what month was rain essential for the Awlad 'Ali to water their crops?
3. In Bedouin ideology, what determined a man's authority?
(c) Moral worthiness.
(d) Ascribed position.
4. Who wrote the "Alexandria Quartet?"
(a) Lawrence Durrell.
(b) Philip Manchester.
(c) David Corell.
(d) Robert Douchester.
5. What color cloth would a woman in mourning tie around her waist?
(a) A white cloth.
(b) A red cloth.
(c) A black cloth.
(d) A green cloth.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were the client tribes called?
2. What was the standard by which status was measured and hierarchy determined in Awlad 'Ali society?
3. In what city had the bonds between Bedouin kin been weakened in favor of those between neighbors?
4. What color was the compound where Lila lived with the Awlad 'Ali?
5. When Lila left, how many children did the Haj have?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did people greet the birth of a boy?
2. Why did Lila go to Cairo every few weeks during the first few months she lived with the Awlad 'Ali?
3. How did Nafla resist an unwanted marriage when she was fourteen?
4. Why might a woman have no choice, but to obey her husband?
5. In what behavior would a good bride engage in on her wedding day?
6. What did the Awlad 'Ali describe fondly about their lives in the desert?
7. What Bedouin story was told to show that the Egyptians lack nobility of origin?
8. What was the assumption in Egypt about nomadism and semi-nomadism?
9. Why did Lila's father go with her to the area where the Awlad 'Ali lived?
10. Under what circumstances could a woman kill an animal?
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)