|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who were the ancestors of the Awlad 'Ali?
(a) Sudanese traders.
(b) Egyptians who left the cities.
(c) Nomads from Chad.
(d) Arab invaders from the Najd.
2. What colors were associated with purity and with men?
(a) Yellow and red.
(b) White and green.
(c) Black and red.
(d) Blue and white.
3. When did Lila's new life begin to seem natural, so she felt as if she belonged with the Awlad 'Ali?
(a) After 18 months.
(b) After 12 months.
(c) After 15 months.
(d) After 6 months.
4. How old was the man who lost respect because he submitted to his passions and chased women?
5. Where did God banish Eve after she ate the fruit?
(a) To the north.
(b) To the south.
(c) To the east.
(d) To the west.
Short Answer Questions
1. What types of trees did the Awlad 'Ali plant?
2. In the Bedouin community where Lila lived, how many times a day did the men try to pray?
3. What city did Lila spend time in while waiting for her father to arrive in Egypt?
4. When did the Awlad 'Ali typically consummate a marriage after the wedding?
5. In what city had the bonds between Bedouin kin been weakened in favor of those between neighbors?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Lila's father go with her to the area where the Awlad 'Ali lived?
2. How did people greet the birth of a girl?
3. What questions and doubts do anthropologists deal with when doing field work?
4. How far had some men traveled outside the Awlad 'Ali community?
5. How were Lila's expectations of the Bedouins different from the reality?
6. How did people greet the birth of a boy?
7. How were brides carried from her natal home in the past and when Lila lived with the Awlad 'Ali?
8. How does a modest woman show virtuous womanhood?
9. Why might a woman have no choice, but to obey her husband?
10. Describe the ritual performed by children to bring rain.
This section contains 903 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)