|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In a story told to Lila about loving daughters and abusive and heartless sons, how many daughters did a woman have?
2. When was Lila's host mysteriously absent for a period?
(a) Six months before the end of Lila's fieldwork.
(b) For her first two months in the field.
(c) Toward the end of Lila's time in the field.
(d) For six months during the second year of Lila's fieldwork.
3. During World War II, who fought battles on Bedouin soil?
(a) Egyptians and Libyans.
(d) Germans and British.
4. What nickname did foreigners give Alexandrian taxis?
(a) Flying coffins.
(b) Death traps.
(c) Death wagons.
(d) Speeding coffins.
5. In a folk tale, what did the food look like that a holy man gave a barren woman who asked for something to make her fertile?
Short Answer Questions
1. What pious activity was forbidden to menstruating women?
2. What lake could one smell after crossing a one-lane bridge leading from Alexandria to the desert?
3. What bird represented the Bedouin ideals of manhood?
4. In the section "Identification and Sharing," why did a woman threaten to leave her husband?
5. When Lila did her fieldwork, how many of the five core household heads married paternal first cousins?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did clients do for their patrons?
2. What questions and doubts do anthropologists deal with when doing field work?
3. Why did Bedouin women keep their ties to their kin even after marriage?
4. How did people greet the birth of a girl?
5. Why might a woman have no choice, but to obey her husband?
6. What did patrons do for clients?
7. Why were the core families where Lila stayed able to avoid cooperating in government settlement schemes?
8. What Bedouin story was told to show that the Egyptians lack nobility of origin?
9. Why was the Haj's mother reserved with Lila at first and why did her attitude change?
10. What type of living quarters would newly married couples have in the past and when Lila lived among the Awlad 'Ali?
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)