|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What changed the Haj's mother's attitude toward Lila?
(a) Her daughter's wedding.
(b) Her son's wedding.
(c) Her brother's funeral.
(d) Her husband's funeral.
2. Where did a youth from the Awlad 'Ali community go to have a serious operation?
3. What types of trees surrounded crude structures at the edge of the Western desert?
(a) Almond Trees.
(b) Olive Trees.
(c) Dwarf fig trees.
(d) Sycamore trees.
4. When Lila did her fieldwork, how many of the five core household heads married paternal first cousins?
5. Why was Lila's host mysteriously absent for a time?
(a) He was detained by government authorities.
(b) He had been arrested in Cairo.
(c) He was visiting kin.
(d) He was in prison.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Lila first realize the sensitive nature of the poems recited by the women?
2. Where did Adam and Eve meet again after God banished them?
3. During World War II, who fought battles on Bedouin soil?
4. What were women said to fear?
5. What was the Bedouin social system touted to be?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does a modest woman show virtuous womanhood?
2. How far had some men traveled outside the Awlad 'Ali community?
3. Why are analogies drawn in poetry between the poet and young children?
4. With whom are poems shared?
5. How do reactions to a husband's second marriage vary?
6. How did the Awlad 'Ali obtain water for their daily needs?
7. When did the Awlad 'Ali learn to attribute blame when something happened?
8. What did the Awlad 'Ali describe fondly about their lives in the desert?
9. What was Mabruka's response when she was accused of sorcery?
10. What are the costs of arranged marriages?
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)