|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many syllables are in ghinnawas?
2. In a love story told in Chapter 8, what grew from the graves of a boy and girl who loved each other?
3. What did a physician say caused the death of a girl about seventeen years old?
(b) A concussion.
(c) A ruptured appendix.
(d) A tumor.
4. When Rashid's second wife ran away, who does Rashid blame?
(a) His brother.
(b) His first wife.
(c) A woman in the household.
(d) A child in the household.
5. How many years before Lila's arrival had a young man been murdered?
(a) 5 years.
(b) 7 years.
(c) 8 years.
(d) 6 years.
6. What did the Awlad 'Ali believe should be evoked by beautiful poetry?
7. How would a body be prepared in proper Muslim fashion?
(a) Wrap the body in a cloth.
(b) Place drops of water in the person's mouth and tie the jaw shut.
(c) Anoint the body with spices.
(d) Close the eyes with coins.
8. The absence of what was marked by sharing of poetry between individuals?
9. Who did Mabruka, Rashid's first wife, blame for Rashid's second marriage?
(a) Her brother-in-law.
(b) Her uncle.
(c) Her father.
(d) Her husband's uncle.
10. When Fayga was taken to visit her father, why did she wish to stay longer?
(a) To see an uncle.
(b) To see a sister.
(c) To see a younger brother.
(d) To see a cousin.
11. At what age did Awlad 'Ali girls marry?
(a) 14 to 18.
(b) 15 to 20.
(c) 17 to 25.
(d) 13 to 17.
12. During Lila's stay among the Awlad 'Ali, how many ghinnawas did she record?
13. How old was the Haj when he had his first romance?
14. How many wives does Aziza's brother have?
15. Whose definition did Lila use to define discourse?
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of occasions would elders avoid so as not to hear ghinnawas publicly sung?
2. What upset Migdim when she came to stay in the household where Lila was living?
3. What is the English translation of the phrase used by the Awlad 'Ali that begins the lament to mourn a death?
4. Which particular gift given to her husband's new bride did the first wife Mabruka resent?
5. In a poem recited about his second wife, what image does Rashid use?
This section contains 425 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)