|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What part of the body was frequently mentioned in ghinnawas?
2. What does ghinnawa mean?
(a) Beautiful poem.
(b) Quiet song.
(c) Little song.
(d) Thoughtful poem.
3. How would a body be prepared in proper Muslim fashion?
(a) Close the eyes with coins.
(b) Place drops of water in the person's mouth and tie the jaw shut.
(c) Anoint the body with spices.
(d) Wrap the body in a cloth.
4. When a girl of about seventeen died, which male relative cried at the funeral?
(a) Her uncle.
(b) Her brother.
(c) Her father.
(d) Her grandfather.
5. In an archetypal love story, where did a boy go to get dates?
6. When a girl of about seventeen died, who did her family blame?
(a) Her brother.
(b) A man who drove by too fast in a jeep.
(c) Her grandfather.
(d) A man who frightened her by shooting a rifle in the air.
7. In a photograph on page 192, what did women use as a windbreak?
(a) Old olive oil tin.
(c) A hubcap.
(d) A board.
8. With whom did women share poems?
(a) With their husbands.
(b) Close kinswomen or women they know well.
(c) With their fathers.
(d) With their brothers.
9. What did the Awlad 'Ali believe should be evoked by beautiful poetry?
10. At what age did Awlad 'Ali boys marry?
(a) 18 to 25.
(b) 16 to 30.
(c) 20 to 40.
(d) 20 to 35.
11. How old was Aziza?
(a) 27 years old.
(b) 26 years old.
(c) 33 years old.
(d) 35 years old.
12. How many women had the Haj been prevented from marrying because of a family member?
13. With whom did men share poems?
(a) Their fathers.
(b) Their uncles.
(c) Close kinsmen of their generation or lower status men.
(d) Men who are a generation older than their fathers.
14. How many wives does Aziza's brother have?
15. What did the husband of a wife ask her to get rid of after he "left" her for two years?
Short Answer Questions
1. Along with other Muslims, where do the Awlad 'Ali believe children go when they die?
2. How many of the adults in the community where Lila lived had been officially divorced at least once?
3. When Rashid's second wife ran away, who does Rashid blame?
4. How old was the Haj when he finally married?
5. How long after Fayga's marriage did the household notice the first hints she was unhappy with her marriage?
This section contains 399 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)