|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which particular gift given to her husband's new bride did the first wife Mabruka resent?
(a) A pair of Western-style sandals.
(b) A veil.
(c) Western-style jewelry.
(d) A belt.
2. What analogy was often drawn in poetry?
(a) An analogy between the poet and the tribe.
(b) An analogy between the poet and brothers.
(c) An analogy between the poet and young children.
(d) An analogy between the poet and sisters.
3. The absence of what was marked by sharing of poetry between individuals?
4. Along with other Muslims, where do the Awlad 'Ali believe children go when they die?
(c) A place between heaven and hell.
5. What type of occasions would elders avoid so as not to hear ghinnawas publicly sung?
(a) Births of babies.
(b) Courtship ceremonies.
(c) Sheep shearings.
(d) Women's gatherings.
6. What did Mabruka refuse to accept when Rashid married another wife?
(a) Special wine.
(b) A new tent.
(c) Wedding gifts due her.
(d) Special clothing.
7. With whom did women share poems?
(a) With their fathers.
(b) With their husbands.
(c) Close kinswomen or women they know well.
(d) With their brothers.
8. What does ghinnawa mean?
(a) Quiet song.
(b) Beautiful poem.
(c) Thoughtful poem.
(d) Little song.
9. What project did Mabruka refuse to help with because of Rashid's second marriage?
(a) Sewing a blanket.
(b) Sewing a dress.
(c) Sewing a tent.
(d) Sewing a quilt.
10. How many women had the Haj been prevented from marrying because of a family member?
11. How old was the Haj when he had his first romance?
12. What upset Migdim when she came to stay in the household where Lila was living?
(a) That she was shunted from room to room.
(b) That she was given no bedding.
(c) That she was not greeted when she arrived.
(d) That she was given leftovers.
13. In ghinnawas, what did the word 'agl mean to the Bedouin?
14. How old was Migdim?
15. What was a theme in the songs between two women that Lila captured on tape?
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of personal relationships were of great concern among the Bedouins?
2. How old was Aziza?
3. How would a body be prepared in proper Muslim fashion?
4. What illness did Aziza have?
5. With whom did Aziza have recurring problems?
This section contains 435 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)