|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What accompanied a message Mabruka sends when warning the recipient to beware?
(a) Pot of food.
(b) A special beverage.
(c) A garment.
(d) A blanket.
2. When Fayga was taken to visit her father, why did she wish to stay longer?
(a) To see a cousin.
(b) To see an uncle.
(c) To see a sister.
(d) To see a younger brother.
3. When an individual wrote a poem about personal experiences, with whom did the writer identify?
(a) Beloved relatives.
(b) Respected ancestors.
(c) Tragic heroes and heroines from the past.
(d) People they respect in the community.
4. The absence of what was marked by sharing of poetry between individuals?
5. In a love story told in Chapter 8, what happened to a woodcutter?
(a) He sliced his fingers.
(b) He cut off his hand.
(c) He was blinded.
(d) He cut off his foot.
6. What type of occasions would elders avoid so as not to hear ghinnawas publicly sung?
(a) Births of babies.
(b) Courtship ceremonies.
(c) Women's gatherings.
(d) Sheep shearings.
7. What were two women doing when Lila captured their conversation and songs on tape?
(a) Visiting neighbors.
(b) Sewing a tent.
(c) Caring for children.
(d) Doing laundry.
8. What analogy was often drawn in poetry?
(a) An analogy between the poet and young children.
(b) An analogy between the poet and the tribe.
(c) An analogy between the poet and brothers.
(d) An analogy between the poet and sisters.
9. When an old woman suddenly died, what did some suggest her husband had done?
(a) Choked her.
(b) Beat her.
(c) Strangled her.
(d) Hit her over the head.
10. In a love story in Chapter 8, how close to home was a boy when he fell ill and died?
(a) 1 days.
(b) 4 days.
(c) 3 days.
(d) 2 days.
11. When did a German explorer publish ghinnawas?
12. How many days did paternal relatives wail and cry at a camp where an old woman died suddenly?
13. In a love story in Chapter 8, where did a boy and girl in love with each other meet ?
(a) In the desert.
(b) At the tent of an old lady.
(c) At the tent of a cousin.
(d) At the tent of an uncle.
14. When a girl of about seventeen died, which male relative cried at the funeral?
(a) Her grandfather.
(b) Her father.
(c) Her uncle.
(d) Her brother.
15. Who was the person usually most responsible for preventing love matches?
(a) A girl's father.
(b) A boy's father.
(c) A girl's paternal first cousin.
(d) A boy's paternal uncle.
Short Answer Questions
1. In an age of trucks, what did wealthy men maintain even though they were obsolete?
2. During Lila's stay among the Awlad 'Ali, how many ghinnawas did she record?
3. How many women had the Haj been prevented from marrying because of a family member?
4. What was a theme in the songs between two women that Lila captured on tape?
5. How old was Aziza?
This section contains 459 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)