|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When a girl of about seventeen died, which male relative cried at the funeral?
(a) Her father.
(b) Her grandfather.
(c) Her brother.
(d) Her uncle.
2. How many women had the Haj been prevented from marrying because of a family member?
3. What German explorer published ghinnawas?
(a) David Reinhardt.
(b) J. C. Ewald Falls.
(c) D. E. Eberhardt Reinhold.
(d) Manfried Siegfried.
4. In a love story told in Chapter 8, how far was a girl buried from the grave of her love?
(a) About 3 kilometers.
(b) About 1/2 kilometer.
(c) About 2 kilometers.
(d) About a kilometer.
5. In a love story in Chapter 8, where did a boy and girl in love with each other meet ?
(a) At the tent of a cousin.
(b) At the tent of an old lady.
(c) In the desert.
(d) At the tent of an uncle.
6. What did many poems explicitly request?
(d) Help or care.
7. A word the Haj used to refer to a married woman he loved shared the same root word with which other word of the choices?
8. At what age did Awlad 'Ali boys marry?
(a) 18 to 25.
(b) 20 to 35.
(c) 20 to 40.
(d) 16 to 30.
9. What part of the body was frequently mentioned in ghinnawas?
10. What was the only thing that Lila was usually able to tape record?
(a) Wedding festivities.
(b) Business transactions.
(c) Private concerts.
11. What popular cultural theme becomes tied up with ghinnawas?
(a) Thwarted love.
(b) Death of a lover.
(c) Death of a child.
(d) A second marriage.
12. How long after Fayga's marriage did the household notice the first hints she was unhappy with her marriage?
(a) 3 weeks.
(b) 2 weeks.
(c) 1 week.
(d) 4 weeks.
13. With whom did men share poems?
(a) Men who are a generation older than their fathers.
(b) Their fathers.
(c) Close kinsmen of their generation or lower status men.
(d) Their uncles.
14. How old was Migdim?
15. What type of occasions would elders avoid so as not to hear ghinnawas publicly sung?
(a) Births of babies.
(b) Courtship ceremonies.
(c) Sheep shearings.
(d) Women's gatherings.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many lines do ghinnawas have?
2. How many days did paternal relatives wail and cry at a camp where an old woman died suddenly?
3. What theme became associated most closely with the ghinnawa?
4. When an individual wrote a poem about personal experiences, with whom did the writer identify?
5. What was a theme in the songs between two women that Lila captured on tape?
This section contains 402 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)