|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What part of the body was frequently mentioned in ghinnawas?
2. At what age did Awlad 'Ali boys marry?
(a) 16 to 30.
(b) 18 to 25.
(c) 20 to 35.
(d) 20 to 40.
3. When an individual wrote a poem about personal experiences, with whom did the writer identify?
(a) People they respect in the community.
(b) Respected ancestors.
(c) Tragic heroes and heroines from the past.
(d) Beloved relatives.
4. In an age of trucks, what did wealthy men maintain even though they were obsolete?
(a) Camel herds.
(b) Sheep herds.
(c) Goat herds.
(d) Cow herds.
5. What is revealed in Awlad 'Ali poetry?
6. In a love story told in Chapter 8, how far was a girl buried from the grave of her love?
(a) About 2 kilometers.
(b) About 1/2 kilometer.
(c) About 3 kilometers.
(d) About a kilometer.
7. Of the ghinnawas that Lila recorded when she stayed with the Awlad 'Ali, how many were duplicates?
(a) Only a few.
(b) Only 7 or 8.
(c) About 20.
(d) About 10.
8. What emotion about her husband's second marriage did Mabruka's poetry reveal?
9. How many lines do ghinnawas have?
10. In a love story told in Chapter 8, what happened to a woodcutter?
(a) He was blinded.
(b) He cut off his foot.
(c) He sliced his fingers.
(d) He cut off his hand.
11. When a girl of about seventeen died, which male relative cried at the funeral?
(a) Her brother.
(b) Her father.
(c) Her uncle.
(d) Her grandfather.
12. Why did Aziza not remarry?
(a) Because her father would not allow her to remarry.
(b) Because she was raising her son.
(c) Because her brother would not allow her to remarry.
(d) Because her husband had been abusive.
13. In a photograph on page 192, what did women use as a windbreak?
(a) A hubcap.
(b) Old olive oil tin.
(c) A board.
14. How many ghinnawas did a German explorer publish?
(b) 200 or so.
(c) 100 or so.
15. With whom did men share poems?
(a) Their uncles.
(b) Men who are a generation older than their fathers.
(c) Their fathers.
(d) Close kinsmen of their generation or lower status men.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many of the adults in the community where Lila lived had been officially divorced at least once?
2. What project did Mabruka refuse to help with because of Rashid's second marriage?
3. In what point of view do they write ghinnawas?
4. What theme became associated most closely with the ghinnawa?
5. When Lila has difficulty translating imagery that Makraba used in her poetry about her husband's second marriage, what are the images of? When Lila has difficulty translating imagery that Makraba used in her poetry about her husband's second marriage, what are the images of?
This section contains 446 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)