|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During what occasion did Lila hear men sing in public?
(c) Sheep shearing.
2. In an age of trucks, what did wealthy men maintain even though they were obsolete?
(a) Goat herds.
(b) Sheep herds.
(c) Camel herds.
(d) Cow herds.
3. Why did Aziza not remarry?
(a) Because her father would not allow her to remarry.
(b) Because she was raising her son.
(c) Because her brother would not allow her to remarry.
(d) Because her husband had been abusive.
4. How old was Migdim?
5. What was the theme of the first song and poem Fayga shared with Lila?
(a) Her unhappiness living in her mother's tent.
(b) Undesirability of polygyny.
(c) The longing to marry another.
(d) Dissatisfaction with her husband.
6. What theme became associated most closely with the ghinnawa?
(d) Romantic love.
7. What illness did Aziza have?
(a) A heart murmur.
(b) A hideous and painful skin disease.
(d) A problem with menstruation.
8. In a photograph on page 192, what did women use as a windbreak?
(a) Old olive oil tin.
(b) A hubcap.
(c) A board.
9. What upset Migdim when she came to stay in the household where Lila was living?
(a) That she was given leftovers.
(b) That she was shunted from room to room.
(c) That she was not greeted when she arrived.
(d) That she was given no bedding.
10. What type of personal relationships were of great concern among the Bedouins?
(a) Relationships between different tribes.
(b) Mother and daughter relationships.
(c) Father and son relationships.
(d) Love relationships with persons of the opposite sex.
11. What did many poems explicitly request?
(a) Help or care.
12. How many of the adults in the community where Lila lived had been officially divorced at least once?
(b) Over 1/2.
(c) Over 1/3.
13. With whom did women share poems?
(a) With their brothers.
(b) With their husbands.
(c) With their fathers.
(d) Close kinswomen or women they know well.
14. What was Bateson discussing when he argued that art corrects a too-limited and ultimately destructive understanding of the world?
(a) Balinese art.
(b) Vietnamese art.
(c) Thai art.
(d) Bedouin art.
15. What German explorer published ghinnawas?
(a) D. E. Eberhardt Reinhold.
(b) Manfried Siegfried.
(c) David Reinhardt.
(d) J. C. Ewald Falls.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Lila has difficulty translating imagery that Makraba used in her poetry about her husband's second marriage, what are the images of? When Lila has difficulty translating imagery that Makraba used in her poetry about her husband's second marriage, what are the images of?
2. In what point of view do they write ghinnawas?
3. What did a physician say caused the death of a girl about seventeen years old?
4. What was the only thing that Lila was usually able to tape record?
5. What is the English translation of the phrase used by the Awlad 'Ali that begins the lament to mourn a death?
This section contains 491 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)