|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In a love story told in Chapter 8, how far was a girl buried from the grave of her love?
(a) About 3 kilometers.
(b) About a kilometer.
(c) About 1/2 kilometer.
(d) About 2 kilometers.
2. What did the Awlad 'Ali believe should be evoked by beautiful poetry?
3. How many women had the Haj been prevented from marrying because of a family member?
4. In a love story told in Chapter 8, what happened to a woodcutter?
(a) He cut off his foot.
(b) He sliced his fingers.
(c) He was blinded.
(d) He cut off his hand.
5. What did a physician say caused the death of a girl about seventeen years old?
(a) A tumor.
(c) A concussion.
(d) A ruptured appendix.
6. Who was the person usually most responsible for preventing love matches?
(a) A boy's father.
(b) A boy's paternal uncle.
(c) A girl's father.
(d) A girl's paternal first cousin.
7. What type of occasions would elders avoid so as not to hear ghinnawas publicly sung?
(a) Sheep shearings.
(b) Births of babies.
(c) Courtship ceremonies.
(d) Women's gatherings.
8. What was a reason Rashid might have taken a second wife?
(a) His first wife kept giving birth to sickly children.
(b) His first wife was not able to have children.
(c) His father insisted that he take another wife.
(d) His first wife asked him to take another wife to help her.
9. What was the only thing that Lila was usually able to tape record?
(b) Business transactions.
(c) Wedding festivities.
(d) Private concerts.
10. In an age of trucks, what did wealthy men maintain even though they were obsolete?
(a) Goat herds.
(b) Cow herds.
(c) Sheep herds.
(d) Camel herds.
11. Why did Aziza not remarry?
(a) Because her father would not allow her to remarry.
(b) Because her husband had been abusive.
(c) Because she was raising her son.
(d) Because her brother would not allow her to remarry.
12. When an individual wrote a poem about personal experiences, with whom did the writer identify?
(a) Tragic heroes and heroines from the past.
(b) People they respect in the community.
(c) Respected ancestors.
(d) Beloved relatives.
13. How many syllables are in ghinnawas?
14. Which particular gift given to her husband's new bride did the first wife Mabruka resent?
(a) Western-style jewelry.
(b) A pair of Western-style sandals.
(c) A belt.
(d) A veil.
15. From what tribe was the girl that the Haj loved when he was young?
(a) Mrabit tribe.
(b) Ghamid tribe.
(c) Harb tribe.
(d) Zaab tribe.
Short Answer Questions
1. The absence of what was marked by sharing of poetry between individuals?
2. During what occasion did Lila hear men sing in public?
3. In ghinnawas, what did the word 'agl mean to the Bedouin?
4. What did the husband of a wife ask her to get rid of after he "left" her for two years?
5. What was Bateson discussing when he argued that art corrects a too-limited and ultimately destructive understanding of the world?
This section contains 471 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)