|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At what age did Awlad 'Ali boys marry?
(a) 20 to 40.
(b) 20 to 35.
(c) 18 to 25.
(d) 16 to 30.
2. During Lila's stay among the Awlad 'Ali, how many ghinnawas did she record?
3. What primary emotion is featured in ghinnawas?
4. Where did Rashid sleep when he assigned blame to someone for his second wife's running away?
(a) His father's home.
(b) The men's guest room.
(c) His first wife's room.
(d) A tent.
5. What German explorer published ghinnawas?
(a) Manfried Siegfried.
(b) D. E. Eberhardt Reinhold.
(c) David Reinhardt.
(d) J. C. Ewald Falls.
6. What does ghinnawa mean?
(a) Beautiful poem.
(b) Quiet song.
(c) Thoughtful poem.
(d) Little song.
7. What illness did Aziza have?
(a) A heart murmur.
(c) A problem with menstruation.
(d) A hideous and painful skin disease.
8. What were two women doing when Lila captured their conversation and songs on tape?
(a) Doing laundry.
(b) Caring for children.
(c) Visiting neighbors.
(d) Sewing a tent.
9. What is revealed in Awlad 'Ali poetry?
10. In ghinnawas, what did the word 'agl mean to the Bedouin?
11. How old was the Haj when he had his first romance?
12. How was the ghinnawa divisible?
(a) Into a couplet.
(b) Into a hemistiche.
(c) Into a dactyl.
(d) Into a caesura.
13. What was the year when the Haj had his first romance?
14. In a love story told in Chapter 8, what happened to a woodcutter?
(a) He sliced his fingers.
(b) He cut off his foot.
(c) He cut off his hand.
(d) He was blinded.
15. What was the only thing that Lila was usually able to tape record?
(b) Private concerts.
(c) Business transactions.
(d) Wedding festivities.
Short Answer Questions
1. What emotion about her husband's second marriage did Mabruka's poetry reveal?
2. How old was Migdim?
3. When a girl of about seventeen died, which male relative cried at the funeral?
4. In a poem recited about his second wife, what image does Rashid use?
5. Along with other Muslims, where do the Awlad 'Ali believe children go when they die?
This section contains 347 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)