|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When a girl of about seventeen died, which male relative cried at the funeral?
(a) Her father.
(b) Her brother.
(c) Her grandfather.
(d) Her uncle.
2. In a love story in Chapter 8, who killed a girl when she wailed and cried over the death of the boy she loved?
(a) Her father.
(b) Her uncle.
(c) Her brother.
(d) Her cousin.
3. What German explorer published ghinnawas?
(a) Manfried Siegfried.
(b) David Reinhardt.
(c) D. E. Eberhardt Reinhold.
(d) J. C. Ewald Falls.
4. How many wives does Aziza's brother have?
5. What analogy was often drawn in poetry?
(a) An analogy between the poet and sisters.
(b) An analogy between the poet and young children.
(c) An analogy between the poet and the tribe.
(d) An analogy between the poet and brothers.
6. How many ghinnawas did a German explorer publish?
(a) 100 or so.
(b) 200 or so.
7. In a love story told in Chapter 8, what happened to a woodcutter?
(a) He was blinded.
(b) He cut off his foot.
(c) He sliced his fingers.
(d) He cut off his hand.
8. Whose definition did Lila use to define discourse?
9. How would a body be prepared in proper Muslim fashion?
(a) Close the eyes with coins.
(b) Place drops of water in the person's mouth and tie the jaw shut.
(c) Anoint the body with spices.
(d) Wrap the body in a cloth.
10. During what occasion did Lila hear men sing in public?
(c) Sheep shearing.
11. In ghinnawas, what did the word 'agl mean to the Bedouin?
12. What did Mabruka refuse to accept when Rashid married another wife?
(a) Special wine.
(b) A new tent.
(c) Wedding gifts due her.
(d) Special clothing.
13. What is the English translation of the phrase used by the Awlad 'Ali that begins the lament to mourn a death?
(a) Woe is me.
(b) My heart is torn.
(c) Pain and sorrow.
(d) Oh, sadness.
14. What part of the body was frequently mentioned in ghinnawas?
15. The absence of what was marked by sharing of poetry between individuals?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many years before Lila's arrival had a young man been murdered?
2. How old was the Haj when he finally married?
3. What was Bateson discussing when he argued that art corrects a too-limited and ultimately destructive understanding of the world?
4. What illness did Aziza have?
5. After the senior magnate questioned family members about the sudden death of an old woman, what causes were suggested for her death?
This section contains 432 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)