|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When an old woman suddenly died, what did some suggest her husband had done?
(a) Beat her.
(b) Strangled her.
(c) Choked her.
(d) Hit her over the head.
2. When Rashid's second wife ran away, who does Rashid blame?
(a) His first wife.
(b) A woman in the household.
(c) A child in the household.
(d) His brother.
3. At what age did Awlad 'Ali girls marry?
(a) 14 to 18.
(b) 17 to 25.
(c) 13 to 17.
(d) 15 to 20.
4. After the senior magnate questioned family members about the sudden death of an old woman, what causes were suggested for her death?
(a) A heart attack.
(b) A broken heart because her son died.
(c) Sadness because her daughter had died.
(d) A stroke.
5. How many syllables are in ghinnawas?
6. What was the year when the Haj had his first romance?
7. What did the husband of a wife ask her to get rid of after he "left" her for two years?
8. How old was Migdim?
9. What analogy was often drawn in poetry?
(a) An analogy between the poet and sisters.
(b) An analogy between the poet and brothers.
(c) An analogy between the poet and young children.
(d) An analogy between the poet and the tribe.
10. With whom did men share poems?
(a) Close kinsmen of their generation or lower status men.
(b) Men who are a generation older than their fathers.
(c) Their fathers.
(d) Their uncles.
11. What theme became associated most closely with the ghinnawa?
(c) Romantic love.
12. What is the English translation of the phrase used by the Awlad 'Ali that begins the lament to mourn a death?
(a) Oh, sadness.
(b) Woe is me.
(c) My heart is torn.
(d) Pain and sorrow.
13. What was a reason Rashid might have taken a second wife?
(a) His father insisted that he take another wife.
(b) His first wife asked him to take another wife to help her.
(c) His first wife was not able to have children.
(d) His first wife kept giving birth to sickly children.
14. Who did Mabruka, Rashid's first wife, blame for Rashid's second marriage?
(a) Her brother-in-law.
(b) Her uncle.
(c) Her father.
(d) Her husband's uncle.
15. How would a body be prepared in proper Muslim fashion?
(a) Wrap the body in a cloth.
(b) Close the eyes with coins.
(c) Anoint the body with spices.
(d) Place drops of water in the person's mouth and tie the jaw shut.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the only thing that Lila was usually able to tape record?
2. In a love story in Chapter 8, who killed a girl when she wailed and cried over the death of the boy she loved?
3. In a love story told in Chapter 8, how far was a girl buried from the grave of her love?
4. When Fayga was taken to visit her father, why did she wish to stay longer?
5. When did a German explorer publish ghinnawas?
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)