|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In a photograph on page 192, what did women use as a windbreak?
(a) A hubcap.
(b) A board.
(d) Old olive oil tin.
2. Which particular gift given to her husband's new bride did the first wife Mabruka resent?
(a) Western-style jewelry.
(b) A pair of Western-style sandals.
(c) A belt.
(d) A veil.
3. With whom did Aziza have recurring problems?
(a) Her mother.
(b) Her father.
(c) Her uncle.
(d) Her brother.
4. How old was the Haj when he finally married?
5. In a love story told in Chapter 8, what happened to a woodcutter?
(a) He cut off his foot.
(b) He cut off his hand.
(c) He was blinded.
(d) He sliced his fingers.
6. What primary emotion is featured in ghinnawas?
7. After the senior magnate questioned family members about the sudden death of an old woman, what causes were suggested for her death?
(a) Sadness because her daughter had died.
(b) A broken heart because her son died.
(c) A stroke.
(d) A heart attack.
8. What emotion about her husband's second marriage did Mabruka's poetry reveal?
9. What did many poems explicitly request?
(c) Help or care.
10. Of the ghinnawas that Lila recorded when she stayed with the Awlad 'Ali, how many were duplicates?
(a) Only a few.
(b) About 10.
(c) Only 7 or 8.
(d) About 20.
11. What type of occasions would elders avoid so as not to hear ghinnawas publicly sung?
(a) Women's gatherings.
(b) Births of babies.
(c) Sheep shearings.
(d) Courtship ceremonies.
12. In a poem recited about his second wife, what image does Rashid use?
(a) Cooking with a liquid of tears.
(b) Drowning in sand.
(c) Drowning in tears.
(d) Beating grain.
13. Who did Mabruka, Rashid's first wife, blame for Rashid's second marriage?
(a) Her brother-in-law.
(b) Her father.
(c) Her husband's uncle.
(d) Her uncle.
14. What does ghinnawa mean?
(a) Little song.
(b) Beautiful poem.
(c) Thoughtful poem.
(d) Quiet song.
15. How many syllables are in ghinnawas?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many lines do ghinnawas have?
2. How many years before Lila's arrival had a young man been murdered?
3. During Lila's stay among the Awlad 'Ali, how many ghinnawas did she record?
4. What part of the body was frequently mentioned in ghinnawas?
5. Who was the person usually most responsible for preventing love matches?
This section contains 366 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)