|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the Awlad 'Ali believe should be evoked by beautiful poetry?
2. What type of personal relationships were of great concern among the Bedouins?
(a) Relationships between different tribes.
(b) Love relationships with persons of the opposite sex.
(c) Mother and daughter relationships.
(d) Father and son relationships.
3. What was a reason Rashid might have taken a second wife?
(a) His first wife kept giving birth to sickly children.
(b) His first wife was not able to have children.
(c) His first wife asked him to take another wife to help her.
(d) His father insisted that he take another wife.
4. How many of the adults in the community where Lila lived had been officially divorced at least once?
(b) Over 1/2.
(d) Over 1/3.
5. How many syllables are in ghinnawas?
6. What popular cultural theme becomes tied up with ghinnawas?
(a) Death of a lover.
(b) Thwarted love.
(c) A second marriage.
(d) Death of a child.
7. Why did Aziza not remarry?
(a) Because her father would not allow her to remarry.
(b) Because her brother would not allow her to remarry.
(c) Because her husband had been abusive.
(d) Because she was raising her son.
8. How was the ghinnawa divisible?
(a) Into a caesura.
(b) Into a couplet.
(c) Into a dactyl.
(d) Into a hemistiche.
9. In an archetypal love story, where did a boy go to get dates?
10. How would a body be prepared in proper Muslim fashion?
(a) Place drops of water in the person's mouth and tie the jaw shut.
(b) Close the eyes with coins.
(c) Anoint the body with spices.
(d) Wrap the body in a cloth.
11. In a love story in Chapter 8, who killed a girl when she wailed and cried over the death of the boy she loved?
(a) Her cousin.
(b) Her father.
(c) Her uncle.
(d) Her brother.
12. After the senior magnate questioned family members about the sudden death of an old woman, what causes were suggested for her death?
(a) A heart attack.
(b) A stroke.
(c) A broken heart because her son died.
(d) Sadness because her daughter had died.
13. In a love story in Chapter 8, where did a boy and girl in love with each other meet ?
(a) At the tent of a cousin.
(b) In the desert.
(c) At the tent of an old lady.
(d) At the tent of an uncle.
14. In a love story told in Chapter 8, how far was a girl buried from the grave of her love?
(a) About 2 kilometers.
(b) About 3 kilometers.
(c) About 1/2 kilometer.
(d) About a kilometer.
15. Where had Aziza's husband been working when they marry?
Short Answer Questions
1. When a girl of about seventeen died, who did her family blame?
2. How old was the Haj when he had his first romance?
3. What upset Migdim when she came to stay in the household where Lila was living?
4. How old was Migdim?
5. What is revealed in Awlad 'Ali poetry?
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)