|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which particular gift given to her husband's new bride did the first wife Mabruka resent?
(a) A veil.
(b) A belt.
(c) Western-style jewelry.
(d) A pair of Western-style sandals.
2. How many syllables are in ghinnawas?
3. Along with other Muslims, where do the Awlad 'Ali believe children go when they die?
(a) A place between heaven and hell.
4. How many wives does Aziza's brother have?
5. In a love story in Chapter 8, how close to home was a boy when he fell ill and died?
(a) 2 days.
(b) 4 days.
(c) 1 days.
(d) 3 days.
6. When an individual wrote a poem about personal experiences, with whom did the writer identify?
(a) Tragic heroes and heroines from the past.
(b) Respected ancestors.
(c) People they respect in the community.
(d) Beloved relatives.
7. What did Mabruka refuse to accept when Rashid married another wife?
(a) A new tent.
(b) Wedding gifts due her.
(c) Special wine.
(d) Special clothing.
8. When a girl of about seventeen died, who did her family blame?
(a) A man who frightened her by shooting a rifle in the air.
(b) A man who drove by too fast in a jeep.
(c) Her grandfather.
(d) Her brother.
9. When Fayga was taken to visit her father, why did she wish to stay longer?
(a) To see a cousin.
(b) To see an uncle.
(c) To see a sister.
(d) To see a younger brother.
10. In ghinnawas, what did the word 'agl mean to the Bedouin?
11. What is the English translation of the phrase used by the Awlad 'Ali that begins the lament to mourn a death?
(a) My heart is torn.
(b) Woe is me.
(c) Pain and sorrow.
(d) Oh, sadness.
12. What did the Awlad 'Ali believe should be evoked by beautiful poetry?
13. How long after Fayga's marriage did the household notice the first hints she was unhappy with her marriage?
(a) 2 weeks.
(b) 1 week.
(c) 4 weeks.
(d) 3 weeks.
14. Whose definition did Lila use to define discourse?
15. At what age did Awlad 'Ali girls marry?
(a) 15 to 20.
(b) 17 to 25.
(c) 13 to 17.
(d) 14 to 18.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many days did paternal relatives wail and cry at a camp where an old woman died suddenly?
2. When an old woman suddenly died, what did some suggest her husband had done?
3. What upset Migdim when she came to stay in the household where Lila was living?
4. In a love story told in Chapter 8, what grew from the graves of a boy and girl who loved each other?
5. How old was Aziza?
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)