|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In a love story told in Chapter 8, how far was a girl buried from the grave of her love?
(a) About 3 kilometers.
(b) About a kilometer.
(c) About 2 kilometers.
(d) About 1/2 kilometer.
2. During Lila's stay among the Awlad 'Ali, how many ghinnawas did she record?
3. Where had Aziza's husband been working when they marry?
4. How was the ghinnawa divisible?
(a) Into a caesura.
(b) Into a dactyl.
(c) Into a couplet.
(d) Into a hemistiche.
5. Along with other Muslims, where do the Awlad 'Ali believe children go when they die?
(c) A place between heaven and hell.
6. What was a theme in the songs between two women that Lila captured on tape?
7. At what age did Awlad 'Ali boys marry?
(a) 20 to 35.
(b) 20 to 40.
(c) 18 to 25.
(d) 16 to 30.
8. In a love story told in Chapter 8, what grew from the graves of a boy and girl who loved each other?
9. In ghinnawas, what did the word 'agl mean to the Bedouin?
10. What did the husband of a wife ask her to get rid of after he "left" her for two years?
11. How many wives does Aziza's brother have?
12. The absence of what was marked by sharing of poetry between individuals?
13. Who was the person usually most responsible for preventing love matches?
(a) A boy's father.
(b) A boy's paternal uncle.
(c) A girl's father.
(d) A girl's paternal first cousin.
14. What did Mabruka refuse to accept when Rashid married another wife?
(a) Wedding gifts due her.
(b) Special wine.
(c) A new tent.
(d) Special clothing.
15. What analogy was often drawn in poetry?
(a) An analogy between the poet and the tribe.
(b) An analogy between the poet and sisters.
(c) An analogy between the poet and brothers.
(d) An analogy between the poet and young children.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Aziza not remarry?
2. A word the Haj used to refer to a married woman he loved shared the same root word with which other word of the choices?
3. How old was the Haj when he finally married?
4. When an old woman suddenly died, what did some suggest her husband had done?
5. When did a German explorer publish ghinnawas?
This section contains 403 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)