|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the theme of the first song and poem Fayga shared with Lila?
(a) Dissatisfaction with her husband.
(b) The longing to marry another.
(c) Undesirability of polygyny.
(d) Her unhappiness living in her mother's tent.
2. What were two women doing when Lila captured their conversation and songs on tape?
(a) Visiting neighbors.
(b) Doing laundry.
(c) Caring for children.
(d) Sewing a tent.
3. What was Bateson discussing when he argued that art corrects a too-limited and ultimately destructive understanding of the world?
(a) Balinese art.
(b) Bedouin art.
(c) Vietnamese art.
(d) Thai art.
4. When Fayga was taken to visit her father, why did she wish to stay longer?
(a) To see a younger brother.
(b) To see a cousin.
(c) To see a sister.
(d) To see an uncle.
5. What is the English translation of the phrase used by the Awlad 'Ali that begins the lament to mourn a death?
(a) Pain and sorrow.
(b) Woe is me.
(c) Oh, sadness.
(d) My heart is torn.
6. Along with other Muslims, where do the Awlad 'Ali believe children go when they die?
(a) A place between heaven and hell.
7. What part of the body was frequently mentioned in ghinnawas?
8. During Lila's stay among the Awlad 'Ali, how many ghinnawas did she record?
9. In an age of trucks, what did wealthy men maintain even though they were obsolete?
(a) Camel herds.
(b) Sheep herds.
(c) Goat herds.
(d) Cow herds.
10. What was the year when the Haj had his first romance?
11. What type of occasions would elders avoid so as not to hear ghinnawas publicly sung?
(a) Women's gatherings.
(b) Courtship ceremonies.
(c) Sheep shearings.
(d) Births of babies.
12. In a love story told in Chapter 8, what happened to a woodcutter?
(a) He sliced his fingers.
(b) He was blinded.
(c) He cut off his hand.
(d) He cut off his foot.
13. How many of the adults in the community where Lila lived had been officially divorced at least once?
(b) Over 1/2.
(c) Over 1/3.
14. How old was Migdim?
15. When a girl of about seventeen died, who did her family blame?
(a) Her brother.
(b) A man who frightened her by shooting a rifle in the air.
(c) A man who drove by too fast in a jeep.
(d) Her grandfather.
Short Answer Questions
1. What accompanied a message Mabruka sends when warning the recipient to beware?
2. With whom did men share poems?
3. In a love story told in Chapter 8, how far was a girl buried from the grave of her love?
4. How many syllables are in ghinnawas?
5. In a love story in Chapter 8, how close to home was a boy when he fell ill and died?
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)