|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the year when the Haj had his first romance?
2. The absence of what was marked by sharing of poetry between individuals?
3. What type of personal relationships were of great concern among the Bedouins?
(a) Love relationships with persons of the opposite sex.
(b) Relationships between different tribes.
(c) Father and son relationships.
(d) Mother and daughter relationships.
4. When did a German explorer publish ghinnawas?
5. In a love story in Chapter 8, who killed a girl when she wailed and cried over the death of the boy she loved?
(a) Her father.
(b) Her uncle.
(c) Her brother.
(d) Her cousin.
6. What is the English translation of the phrase used by the Awlad 'Ali that begins the lament to mourn a death?
(a) Pain and sorrow.
(b) Oh, sadness.
(c) Woe is me.
(d) My heart is torn.
7. In a love story told in Chapter 8, what happened to a woodcutter?
(a) He sliced his fingers.
(b) He cut off his foot.
(c) He cut off his hand.
(d) He was blinded.
8. Why did Aziza not remarry?
(a) Because her brother would not allow her to remarry.
(b) Because her father would not allow her to remarry.
(c) Because she was raising her son.
(d) Because her husband had been abusive.
9. How many days did paternal relatives wail and cry at a camp where an old woman died suddenly?
10. During what occasion did Lila hear men sing in public?
(d) Sheep shearing.
11. With whom did Aziza have recurring problems?
(a) Her uncle.
(b) Her father.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Her brother.
12. How old was the Haj when he had his first romance?
13. How did women feel if men heard them singing or reciting poetry?
14. Where had Aziza's husband been working when they marry?
15. What did Mabruka refuse to accept when Rashid married another wife?
(a) Special wine.
(b) Wedding gifts due her.
(c) A new tent.
(d) Special clothing.
Short Answer Questions
1. What emotion about her husband's second marriage did Mabruka's poetry reveal?
2. In a love story told in Chapter 8, what grew from the graves of a boy and girl who loved each other?
3. When an individual wrote a poem about personal experiences, with whom did the writer identify?
4. What primary emotion is featured in ghinnawas?
5. What was the only thing that Lila was usually able to tape record?
This section contains 407 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)