|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is revealed in Awlad 'Ali poetry?
2. The absence of what was marked by sharing of poetry between individuals?
3. When a girl of about seventeen died, which male relative cried at the funeral?
(a) Her brother.
(b) Her grandfather.
(c) Her father.
(d) Her uncle.
4. How many syllables are in ghinnawas?
5. At what age did Awlad 'Ali girls marry?
(a) 14 to 18.
(b) 17 to 25.
(c) 15 to 20.
(d) 13 to 17.
6. What does ghinnawa mean?
(a) Beautiful poem.
(b) Quiet song.
(c) Little song.
(d) Thoughtful poem.
7. In a love story told in Chapter 8, what grew from the graves of a boy and girl who loved each other?
8. What illness did Aziza have?
(a) A heart murmur.
(b) A problem with menstruation.
(c) A hideous and painful skin disease.
9. How would a body be prepared in proper Muslim fashion?
(a) Place drops of water in the person's mouth and tie the jaw shut.
(b) Close the eyes with coins.
(c) Wrap the body in a cloth.
(d) Anoint the body with spices.
10. In a love story told in Chapter 8, how far was a girl buried from the grave of her love?
(a) About a kilometer.
(b) About 2 kilometers.
(c) About 1/2 kilometer.
(d) About 3 kilometers.
11. When Rashid's second wife ran away, who does Rashid blame?
(a) His brother.
(b) A woman in the household.
(c) A child in the household.
(d) His first wife.
12. At what age did Awlad 'Ali boys marry?
(a) 20 to 35.
(b) 16 to 30.
(c) 18 to 25.
(d) 20 to 40.
13. After the senior magnate questioned family members about the sudden death of an old woman, what causes were suggested for her death?
(a) Sadness because her daughter had died.
(b) A stroke.
(c) A heart attack.
(d) A broken heart because her son died.
14. What primary emotion is featured in ghinnawas?
15. When Fayga was taken to visit her father, why did she wish to stay longer?
(a) To see a sister.
(b) To see a younger brother.
(c) To see a cousin.
(d) To see an uncle.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the only thing that Lila was usually able to tape record?
2. Of the ghinnawas that Lila recorded when she stayed with the Awlad 'Ali, how many were duplicates?
3. What was a theme in the songs between two women that Lila captured on tape?
4. When an old woman suddenly died, what did some suggest her husband had done?
5. How old was Aziza?
This section contains 410 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)