|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did the Awlad 'Ali typically consummate a marriage after the wedding?
(a) A week after the wedding.
(b) Late at night after the wedding.
(c) Early afternoon of the wedding day.
(d) Morning after the wedding.
2. Which city was near the mountain where Adam and Eve met again after being banished from the garden by God?
(c) Ar Riyad.
3. What color cloth would a woman in mourning tie around her waist?
(a) A green cloth.
(b) A black cloth.
(c) A red cloth.
(d) A white cloth.
4. From what country did the Awlad 'Ali migrate?
(b) Saudi Arabia.
5. Why was Lila's host mysteriously absent for a time?
(a) He was in prison.
(b) He was visiting kin.
(c) He had been arrested in Cairo.
(d) He was detained by government authorities.
6. What were the client tribes called?
7. When did Lila live with the Awlad 'Ali?
(a) March 1978 to November 1980.
(b) April 1981 to June 1983.
(c) October 1978 to May 1980.
(d) January 1976 to March 1978.
8. When did Lila first realize the sensitive nature of the poems recited by the women?
(a) When a shepherd's wife recited one of these poems.
(b) When Lila heard one of these poems at a funeral.
(c) When Lila heard a poem at a birth.
(d) When Lila heard a poem at a wedding.
9. Where did God banish Eve after she ate the fruit?
(a) To the west.
(b) To the north.
(c) To the south.
(d) To the east.
10. When Lila did her fieldwork, how many of the five core household heads married paternal first cousins?
11. In the section "Identification and Sharing," why did a woman threaten to leave her husband?
(a) Because he hit her.
(b) Because he mistreated a child.
(c) Because he slurred her father's name.
(d) Because he took another wife.
12. What color was the compound where Lila lived with the Awlad 'Ali?
(d) Light blue.
13. What drapes over the tent or automobile that carries a bride to her new home?
(a) A large white blanket.
(b) A large red blanket.
(c) A man's green toga.
(d) A man's white toga.
14. What would ewes have been fed in the desert?
15. How long was a woman sexually taboo after giving birth?
(a) 45 days.
(b) 30 days.
(c) 60 days.
(d) 40 days.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Bedouins believe would dry up a new mother's milk?
2. What types of trees did the Awlad 'Ali plant?
3. What colors were associated with uncleanliness and women?
4. On page 120, what wild edible green do the children gather?
5. How old was Nafla when her family tried to force her into a marriage?
This section contains 462 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)