|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many wives was a wealthy man reputed to have married in his lifetime?
2. What word described a Bedouin man's years of youth?
(b) Sinn ir-rushd.
3. Why was Lila's host mysteriously absent for a time?
(a) He was detained by government authorities.
(b) He had been arrested in Cairo.
(c) He was in prison.
(d) He was visiting kin.
4. Who were the ancestors of the Awlad 'Ali?
(a) Egyptians who left the cities.
(b) Arab invaders from the Najd.
(c) Nomads from Chad.
(d) Sudanese traders.
5. What bird represented the Bedouin ideals of manhood?
6. In a folktale, what did Muhammad buh Sultan send to be watered at the spring where a beautiful girl lived?
(a) A camel.
(b) A sheep.
(c) A horse.
(d) A goat.
7. Where did God banish Eve after she ate the fruit?
(a) To the west.
(b) To the east.
(c) To the south.
(d) To the north.
8. What drapes over the tent or automobile that carries a bride to her new home?
(a) A large red blanket.
(b) A large white blanket.
(c) A man's white toga.
(d) A man's green toga.
9. During what month was rain essential for the Awlad 'Ali to water their crops?
10. What form of poetry did the ghinnawas most resemble?
(a) An Italian canzone.
(b) A cinquain.
(c) A quatrain.
(d) Japanese haiku.
11. From what country did the Awlad 'Ali migrate?
(a) Saudi Arabia.
12. When Lila left, how many children did the Haj have?
13. In a story about the creation of Adam and Eve, what instrument was the Devil playing?
(a) A flute.
(b) A harmonica.
(c) A stringed instrument.
(d) A drum.
14. What was closely tied to the moral nature among the Awlad 'Ali?
15. During World War II, who fought battles on Bedouin soil?
(c) Germans and British.
(d) Egyptians and Libyans.
Short Answer Questions
1. On page 120, what wild edible green do the children gather?
2. What colors were associated with uncleanliness and women?
3. How long was a woman sexually taboo after giving birth?
4. What was the Bedouin social system touted to be?
5. When did military rule of the Western desert end?
This section contains 369 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)