|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did a youth from the Awlad 'Ali community go to have a serious operation?
2. How long was a woman sexually taboo after giving birth?
(a) 60 days.
(b) 45 days.
(c) 30 days.
(d) 40 days.
3. Where did Adam and Eve meet again after God banished them?
(a) Mt. Petra.
(b) Mt. Gilboa.
(c) Mt. Arafat.
(d) Mt. Nablus.
4. How many inches of rain commonly fell in Awlad 'Ali territory?
(a) 7 to 8 inches.
(b) 2 to 4 inches.
(c) 5 to 6 inches.
(d) 1 to 2 inches.
5. How many wives was a wealthy man reputed to have married in his lifetime?
6. What color was the compound where Lila lived with the Awlad 'Ali?
(a) Light blue.
7. What color cloth would a woman in mourning tie around her waist?
(a) A black cloth.
(b) A green cloth.
(c) A white cloth.
(d) A red cloth.
8. How many children did the man, who was criticized for going to find his runaway second wife, have with his first wife?
9. When did the ancestors of the Awlad 'Ali sweep through North Africa?
(a) 11th century.
(b) 10th century.
(c) 13th century.
(d) 12th century.
10. How old was Nafla when her family tried to force her into a marriage?
11. What changed the Haj's mother's attitude toward Lila?
(a) Her daughter's wedding.
(b) Her brother's funeral.
(c) Her son's wedding.
(d) Her husband's funeral.
12. When did Lila live with the Awlad 'Ali?
(a) October 1978 to May 1980.
(b) April 1981 to June 1983.
(c) January 1976 to March 1978.
(d) March 1978 to November 1980.
13. In a story told to Lila about loving daughters and abusive and heartless sons, how many daughters did a woman have?
14. Who wrote the "Alexandria Quartet?"
(a) Philip Manchester.
(b) Lawrence Durrell.
(c) David Corell.
(d) Robert Douchester.
15. In the section "Identification and Sharing," why did a woman threaten to leave her husband?
(a) Because he hit her.
(b) Because he slurred her father's name.
(c) Because he mistreated a child.
(d) Because he took another wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did the Awlad 'Ali migrate to the desert?
2. What nickname did foreigners give Alexandrian taxis?
3. In what city had the bonds between Bedouin kin been weakened in favor of those between neighbors?
4. When Lila did her fieldwork, how many of the five core household heads married paternal first cousins?
5. What lake could one smell after crossing a one-lane bridge leading from Alexandria to the desert?
This section contains 384 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)