|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the standard by which status was measured and hierarchy determined in Awlad 'Ali society?
(b) Autonomy or freedom.
(c) Strength or dignity.
2. What illness did the Bedouin believe could be caused by fright?
3. What did Bedouins believe caused serious illness?
(a) Exposure to black magic.
(b) Solitary encounters in deserted places with jinn.
(c) Being cursed.
(d) The use of an amulet or charm.
4. How frequent were droughts in Awlad 'Ali territory?
(a) About every 10 years.
(b) About every 7 years.
(c) About every 6 years.
(d) About every 5 years.
5. What color cloth would a woman in mourning tie around her waist?
(a) A green cloth.
(b) A red cloth.
(c) A black cloth.
(d) A white cloth.
6. When did Lila's new life begin to seem natural, so she felt as if she belonged with the Awlad 'Ali?
(a) After 6 months.
(b) After 15 months.
(c) After 18 months.
(d) After 12 months.
7. At what age was a Bedouin man considered beyond the passions of youth?
8. Who was the man who inherited wealth, but lost respect because he submitted to his passions and chased women?
9. When Lila left, how many children did the Haj have?
10. When did the Awlad 'Ali typically consummate a marriage after the wedding?
(a) Morning after the wedding.
(b) Early afternoon of the wedding day.
(c) A week after the wedding.
(d) Late at night after the wedding.
11. Who was the man who was criticized for going to find a runaway second wife?
12. What was a man who needed women called?
(a) A dog.
(b) A donkey.
(c) A turkey.
(d) A skunk.
13. In Bedouin ideology, what determined a man's authority?
(a) Ascribed position.
(d) Moral worthiness.
14. What tribes were the true Awlad 'Ali?
(b) Al Adwan.
15. What pious activity was forbidden to menstruating women?
(a) A pilgrimage.
(b) Giving alms.
Short Answer Questions
1. What drapes over the tent or automobile that carries a bride to her new home?
2. How much of the Egyptian population consist of Bedouins of the Western desert when Lila did her fieldwork?
3. What did the Awlad 'Ali believe distinguished them from and made them superior to other peoples?
4. After a feast for a neighbor who returned from a pilgrimage, what did Lila and some adolescent girls do?
5. When did the Awlad 'Ali migrate to the desert?
This section contains 404 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)