|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What crop did the Awlad 'Ali sow yearly?
2. From what country did the Awlad 'Ali migrate?
(a) Saudi Arabia.
3. What was the Bedouin social system touted to be?
4. Who was the man who was criticized for going to find a runaway second wife?
5. How many wives was a wealthy man reputed to have married in his lifetime?
6. In a folktale, when a man gave birth, what carried the baby away?
(a) An ostrich
(b) A gazelle.
(c) A wild dog.
(d) A bird.
7. What pious activity was forbidden to menstruating women?
(a) Giving alms.
(b) A pilgrimage.
8. Which direction did Lila travel from Alexandria to reach the area where the Awald 'Ali lived?
9. In the camp where Lila lived, how many adults were in the fourteen households that made up the camp?
10. On page 120, what wild edible green do the children gather?
11. In the Bedouin community where Lila lived, how many times a day did the men try to pray?
12. In Bedouin ideology, what determined a man's authority?
(b) Ascribed position.
(d) Moral worthiness.
13. In the section "Identification and Sharing," why did a woman threaten to leave her husband?
(a) Because he mistreated a child.
(b) Because he slurred her father's name.
(c) Because he hit her.
(d) Because he took another wife.
14. What changed the Haj's mother's attitude toward Lila?
(a) Her daughter's wedding.
(b) Her brother's funeral.
(c) Her son's wedding.
(d) Her husband's funeral.
15. How old was the man who was criticized for going to find a runaway second wife?
(a) Early 40's.
(b) Late 30's.
(c) Early 50's.
(d) Late 60's.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did the Awlad 'Ali migrate to the desert?
2. When Lila left, how many children did the Haj have?
3. Where did a youth from the Awlad 'Ali community go to have a serious operation?
4. What beach is mentioned in the "Alexandria Quartet?"
5. What was a man who needed women called?
This section contains 343 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)