|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old was Nafla when her family tried to force her into a marriage?
2. What did the Awlad 'Ali believe distinguished them from and made them superior to other peoples?
3. What were the client tribes called?
4. Who wrote the "Alexandria Quartet?"
(a) David Corell.
(b) Philip Manchester.
(c) Lawrence Durrell.
(d) Robert Douchester.
5. What drapes over the tent or automobile that carries a bride to her new home?
(a) A large white blanket.
(b) A man's white toga.
(c) A large red blanket.
(d) A man's green toga.
6. What colors were associated with uncleanliness and women?
(a) Green and blue.
(b) Red and black.
(c) Black and white.
(d) Red and blue.
7. How many wives was a wealthy man reputed to have married in his lifetime?
8. Where was a young man shot during an altercation between some Bedouin men and a group of Egyptian soldiers riding on a train through a Bedouin area?
(a) In the chest.
(b) In the back.
(c) In the arm.
(d) In the mouth.
9. In a folktale, when a man gave birth, what carried the baby away?
(a) A gazelle.
(b) A wild dog.
(c) An ostrich
(d) A bird.
10. When did Lila first realize the sensitive nature of the poems recited by the women?
(a) When Lila heard a poem at a birth.
(b) When Lila heard one of these poems at a funeral.
(c) When a shepherd's wife recited one of these poems.
(d) When Lila heard a poem at a wedding.
11. When did the Awlad 'Ali typically consummate a marriage after the wedding?
(a) Late at night after the wedding.
(b) Early afternoon of the wedding day.
(c) A week after the wedding.
(d) Morning after the wedding.
12. Which direction did Lila travel from Alexandria to reach the area where the Awald 'Ali lived?
13. On page 120, what wild edible green do the children gather?
14. Who gave the Awlad 'Ali rights to land in the Western desert in the nineteenth century?
(a) Mohammad 'Ali.
(b) Ibrahim Pasha.
(c) Ali Sadik Bey.
(d) Muhammad Abdel Halim.
15. What did Bedouins believe caused serious illness?
(a) Solitary encounters in deserted places with jinn.
(b) The use of an amulet or charm.
(c) Being cursed.
(d) Exposure to black magic.
Short Answer Questions
1. What beverage is mentioned in the "Alexandria Quartet?"
2. After a feast for a neighbor who returned from a pilgrimage, what did Lila and some adolescent girls do?
3. How old was the man who lost respect because he submitted to his passions and chased women?
4. What was the standard by which status was measured and hierarchy determined in Awlad 'Ali society?
5. At what age was a Bedouin man considered beyond the passions of youth?
This section contains 449 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)