|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does an unmarried girl use to cover her head?
(a) A kerchief.
(b) A small hat.
(c) A veil.
(d) A headcloth.
2. When did the Awlad 'Ali typically consummate a marriage after the wedding?
(a) Late at night after the wedding.
(b) A week after the wedding.
(c) Morning after the wedding.
(d) Early afternoon of the wedding day.
3. Why was Lila's host mysteriously absent for a time?
(a) He was detained by government authorities.
(b) He was in prison.
(c) He had been arrested in Cairo.
(d) He was visiting kin.
4. What was a man who needed women called?
(a) A dog.
(b) A donkey.
(c) A turkey.
(d) A skunk.
5. In the camp where Lila lived, how many adults were in the fourteen households that made up the camp?
6. In a Bedouin story, what was God's reason for forbidding Adam and Eve to eat fruit from a particular tree?
(a) They would die.
(b) It was poisonous.
(c) They would become like gods.
(d) They would live forever.
7. What values were at the heart of the Awlad 'Ali moral system?
(a) Honor and modesty.
(b) Courage and valor.
(c) Strength and dignity.
(d) Honesty and justice.
8. How old was the Haj, head of the household, where Lila lived?
(a) About 45.
(b) About 55.
(c) Close to 60.
(d) Close to 50.
9. Where was a young man shot during an altercation between some Bedouin men and a group of Egyptian soldiers riding on a train through a Bedouin area?
(a) In the back.
(b) In the mouth.
(c) In the arm.
(d) In the chest.
10. What was closely tied to the moral nature among the Awlad 'Ali?
11. How many inches of rain commonly fell in Awlad 'Ali territory?
(a) 7 to 8 inches.
(b) 2 to 4 inches.
(c) 5 to 6 inches.
(d) 1 to 2 inches.
12. In Bedouin ideology, what determined a man's authority?
(a) Moral worthiness.
(c) Ascribed position.
13. When did Lila first realize the sensitive nature of the poems recited by the women?
(a) When Lila heard one of these poems at a funeral.
(b) When Lila heard a poem at a wedding.
(c) When Lila heard a poem at a birth.
(d) When a shepherd's wife recited one of these poems.
14. Who gave the Awlad 'Ali rights to land in the Western desert in the nineteenth century?
(a) Ali Sadik Bey.
(b) Muhammad Abdel Halim.
(c) Ibrahim Pasha.
(d) Mohammad 'Ali.
15. What beach is mentioned in the "Alexandria Quartet?"
(a) Bourg El Arab.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who helped Lila finally begin to interpret the poems she was hearing?
2. What color was the compound where Lila lived with the Awlad 'Ali?
3. What tragedy had a middle-aged wife of a powerful tribal leader experienced two and a half years before she recited a poem to Lila?
4. How many wives was a wealthy man reputed to have married in his lifetime?
5. When was Lila's host mysteriously absent for a period?
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)