|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In a folk tale, what did the food look like that a holy man gave a barren woman who asked for something to make her fertile?
2. On page 120, what wild edible green do the children gather?
3. Where did Adam and Eve meet again after God banished them?
(a) Mt. Gilboa.
(b) Mt. Petra.
(c) Mt. Nablus.
(d) Mt. Arafat.
4. How old was the man who was criticized for going to find a runaway second wife?
(a) Late 60's.
(b) Late 30's.
(c) Early 50's.
(d) Early 40's.
5. How far did the Western Desert stretch to the Libyan border?
(a) 600 kilometers.
(b) 500 kilometers.
(c) 1,500 kilometers.
(d) 1,000 kilometers.
6. When did the Awlad 'Ali migrate to the desert?
7. What form of poetry did the ghinnawas most resemble?
(a) A cinquain.
(b) A quatrain.
(c) An Italian canzone.
(d) Japanese haiku.
8. When was Lila's host mysteriously absent for a period?
(a) For six months during the second year of Lila's fieldwork.
(b) For her first two months in the field.
(c) Toward the end of Lila's time in the field.
(d) Six months before the end of Lila's fieldwork.
9. Who were the ancestors of the Awlad 'Ali?
(a) Arab invaders from the Najd.
(b) Nomads from Chad.
(c) Sudanese traders.
(d) Egyptians who left the cities.
10. When did the ancestors of the Awlad 'Ali sweep through North Africa?
(a) 13th century.
(b) 11th century.
(c) 10th century.
(d) 12th century.
11. Where did God banish Eve after she ate the fruit?
(a) To the west.
(b) To the south.
(c) To the east.
(d) To the north.
12. During what month was rain essential for the Awlad 'Ali to water their crops?
13. What changed the Haj's mother's attitude toward Lila?
(a) Her brother's funeral.
(b) Her daughter's wedding.
(c) Her husband's funeral.
(d) Her son's wedding.
14. What were women said to fear?
(b) The dark.
15. What was the standard by which status was measured and hierarchy determined in Awlad 'Ali society?
(a) Autonomy or freedom.
(b) Strength or dignity.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Nafla when her family tried to force her into a marriage?
2. What drapes over the tent or automobile that carries a bride to her new home?
3. What did the Awlad 'Ali believe distinguished them from and made them superior to other peoples?
4. What were the client tribes called?
5. After a feast for a neighbor who returned from a pilgrimage, what did Lila and some adolescent girls do?
This section contains 416 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)