|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much of the Egyptian population consist of Bedouins of the Western desert when Lila did her fieldwork?
(a) 3 percent.
(b) 1 percent.
(c) 5 percent.
(d) 7 percent.
2. In the "Alexandria Quartet," what was a Bedouin youth carrying on his head?
(a) A clay pot.
(b) A wrapped bundle.
(c) A crate of wild birds.
(d) A bucket of water.
3. In a folk tale, what did the food look like that a holy man gave a barren woman who asked for something to make her fertile?
4. What city did Lila spend time in while waiting for her father to arrive in Egypt?
(a) Port Said.
5. How old was the man who was criticized for going to find a runaway second wife?
(a) Early 50's.
(b) Early 40's.
(c) Late 30's.
(d) Late 60's.
6. How many children did the man, who was criticized for going to find his runaway second wife, have with his first wife?
7. During the first few months that Lila lived with the Awlad 'Ali, how often would Lila travel to Cairo?
(a) Every week.
(b) Every 2-3 weeks.
(c) Every other month.
(d) Once a month.
8. What did Bedouins believe caused serious illness?
(a) Being cursed.
(b) The use of an amulet or charm.
(c) Exposure to black magic.
(d) Solitary encounters in deserted places with jinn.
9. What drapes over the tent or automobile that carries a bride to her new home?
(a) A large white blanket.
(b) A man's green toga.
(c) A man's white toga.
(d) A large red blanket.
10. When did Lila first realize the sensitive nature of the poems recited by the women?
(a) When Lila heard one of these poems at a funeral.
(b) When Lila heard a poem at a wedding.
(c) When Lila heard a poem at a birth.
(d) When a shepherd's wife recited one of these poems.
11. In a folktale, what did Muhammad buh Sultan send to be watered at the spring where a beautiful girl lived?
(a) A camel.
(b) A sheep.
(c) A horse.
(d) A goat.
12. Where did Adam and Eve meet again after God banished them?
(a) Mt. Nablus.
(b) Mt. Petra.
(c) Mt. Gilboa.
(d) Mt. Arafat.
13. During what month was rain essential for the Awlad 'Ali to water their crops?
14. When did military rule of the Western desert end?
(a) Late 1950's.
(b) Late 1940's.
(c) Late 1960's.
(d) Late 1930's.
15. How far did the Western Desert stretch to the Libyan border?
(a) 500 kilometers.
(b) 600 kilometers.
(c) 1,000 kilometers.
(d) 1,500 kilometers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What illness did the Bedouin believe could be caused by fright?
2. In the desert, what animal did they hunt at night?
3. On page 120, what wild edible green do the children gather?
4. What were Bedouin tents made of before the Awlad 'Ali moved into houses?
5. What did the Awlad 'Ali believe distinguished them from and made them superior to other peoples?
This section contains 469 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)