|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How far did the Western Desert stretch to the Libyan border?
(a) 500 kilometers.
(b) 600 kilometers.
(c) 1,000 kilometers.
(d) 1,500 kilometers.
2. When did Lila's new life begin to seem natural, so she felt as if she belonged with the Awlad 'Ali?
(a) After 6 months.
(b) After 12 months.
(c) After 18 months.
(d) After 15 months.
3. When Lila did her fieldwork, how many of the five core household heads married paternal first cousins?
4. What would ewes have been fed in the desert?
5. Who were the ancestors of the Awlad 'Ali?
(a) Arab invaders from the Najd.
(b) Nomads from Chad.
(c) Sudanese traders.
(d) Egyptians who left the cities.
6. In the desert, what animal did they hunt at night?
(a) Wild hares.
(b) Wild dogs.
(c) Game birds.
7. On page 120, what wild edible green do the children gather?
8. Which direction did Lila travel from Alexandria to reach the area where the Awald 'Ali lived?
9. What were women said to fear?
(c) The dark.
10. How old was Nafla when her family tried to force her into a marriage?
11. In a folk tale, what did the food look like that a holy man gave a barren woman who asked for something to make her fertile?
12. What was closely tied to the moral nature among the Awlad 'Ali?
13. From what country did the Awlad 'Ali migrate?
(a) Saudi Arabia.
14. How many client households were in the camp where Lila lived?
15. What pious activity was forbidden to menstruating women?
(a) A pilgrimage.
(b) Giving alms.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were the client tribes called?
2. Who gave the Awlad 'Ali rights to land in the Western desert in the nineteenth century?
3. When did military rule of the Western desert end?
4. What form of poetry did the ghinnawas most resemble?
5. What changed the Haj's mother's attitude toward Lila?
This section contains 347 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)