|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What illness did the Bedouin believe could be caused by fright?
2. What city did Lila spend time in while waiting for her father to arrive in Egypt?
(a) Port Said.
3. How frequent were droughts in Awlad 'Ali territory?
(a) About every 5 years.
(b) About every 7 years.
(c) About every 10 years.
(d) About every 6 years.
4. What was the standard by which status was measured and hierarchy determined in Awlad 'Ali society?
(a) Autonomy or freedom.
(b) Strength or dignity.
5. What tragedy had a middle-aged wife of a powerful tribal leader experienced two and a half years before she recited a poem to Lila?
(a) Her husband was killed.
(b) Her brother died.
(c) Her daughter died.
(d) Lost her only son.
6. When was Lila's host mysteriously absent for a period?
(a) Six months before the end of Lila's fieldwork.
(b) For six months during the second year of Lila's fieldwork.
(c) For her first two months in the field.
(d) Toward the end of Lila's time in the field.
7. During the first few months that Lila lived with the Awlad 'Ali, how often would Lila travel to Cairo?
(a) Once a month.
(b) Every 2-3 weeks.
(c) Every other month.
(d) Every week.
8. What did Bedouins believe would dry up a new mother's milk?
(a) Her being cursed.
(b) Her being exposed to gold coins on another woman's necklace.
(c) Her eating the wrong food.
(d) Her being exposed to an evil eye.
9. In the camp where Lila lived, how many adults were in the fourteen households that made up the camp?
10. What color cloth would a woman in mourning tie around her waist?
(a) A red cloth.
(b) A green cloth.
(c) A white cloth.
(d) A black cloth.
11. What form of poetry did the ghinnawas most resemble?
(a) An Italian canzone.
(b) A quatrain.
(c) A cinquain.
(d) Japanese haiku.
12. What drapes over the tent or automobile that carries a bride to her new home?
(a) A large white blanket.
(b) A man's white toga.
(c) A man's green toga.
(d) A large red blanket.
13. On page 120, what wild edible green do the children gather?
14. In Bedouin ideology, what determined a man's authority?
(a) Moral worthiness.
(b) Ascribed position.
15. What color was the compound where Lila lived with the Awlad 'Ali?
(b) Light blue.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Lila's host mysteriously absent for a time?
2. What were women said to fear?
3. What colors were associated with uncleanliness and women?
4. Who helped Lila finally begin to interpret the poems she was hearing?
5. How long was a woman sexually taboo after giving birth?
This section contains 467 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)