|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old was the Haj, head of the household, where Lila lived?
(a) About 55.
(b) Close to 50.
(c) About 45.
(d) Close to 60.
2. In a folk tale, what did the food look like that a holy man gave a barren woman who asked for something to make her fertile?
3. What beach is mentioned in the "Alexandria Quartet?"
(b) Bourg El Arab.
4. After a feast for a neighbor who returned from a pilgrimage, what did Lila and some adolescent girls do?
(a) Prepared food.
(b) Collected firewood.
(c) Carried water.
5. Before Lila arrived, how long had it been since the Awlad 'Ali migrated to the desert?
(a) 10 years.
(b) 12 years.
(c) 5 years.
(d) 7 years.
6. What city did Lila spend time in while waiting for her father to arrive in Egypt?
(d) Port Said.
7. What would ewes have been fed in the desert?
8. Where did God banish Eve after she ate the fruit?
(a) To the north.
(b) To the south.
(c) To the west.
(d) To the east.
9. What was the standard by which status was measured and hierarchy determined in Awlad 'Ali society?
(b) Autonomy or freedom.
(d) Strength or dignity.
10. What did the Awlad 'Ali believe distinguished them from and made them superior to other peoples?
11. What lake could one smell after crossing a one-lane bridge leading from Alexandria to the desert?
(a) Lake Timsah.
(b) Lake Nasser.
(c) Lake Idku.
(d) Lake Mariut.
12. How old was the man who was criticized for going to find a runaway second wife?
(a) Early 50's.
(b) Early 40's.
(c) Late 30's.
(d) Late 60's.
13. What was a man who needed women called?
(a) A donkey.
(b) A skunk.
(c) A dog.
(d) A turkey.
14. During the first few months that Lila lived with the Awlad 'Ali, how often would Lila travel to Cairo?
(a) Every 2-3 weeks.
(b) Every other month.
(c) Once a month.
(d) Every week.
15. What form of poetry did the ghinnawas most resemble?
(a) A quatrain.
(b) A cinquain.
(c) An Italian canzone.
(d) Japanese haiku.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were women said to fear?
2. What color cloth would a woman in mourning tie around her waist?
3. In a story told to Lila about loving daughters and abusive and heartless sons, how many daughters did a woman have?
4. Where did God banish Adam after he ate the fruit?
5. When Lila did her fieldwork, how many of the five core household heads married paternal first cousins?
This section contains 415 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)