|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During World War II, who fought battles on Bedouin soil?
(a) Egyptians and Libyans.
(d) Germans and British.
2. What was the name of the Haj's first wife?
3. What colors were associated with purity and with men?
(a) White and green.
(b) Blue and white.
(c) Black and red.
(d) Yellow and red.
4. What color cummerbund would the women of the Awlad 'Ali wear around their waists?
5. What does an unmarried girl use to cover her head?
(a) A veil.
(b) A headcloth.
(c) A kerchief.
(d) A small hat.
6. During what month was rain essential for the Awlad 'Ali to water their crops?
7. Who gave the Awlad 'Ali rights to land in the Western desert in the nineteenth century?
(a) Ali Sadik Bey.
(b) Muhammad Abdel Halim.
(c) Ibrahim Pasha.
(d) Mohammad 'Ali.
8. When did military rule of the Western desert end?
(a) Late 1960's.
(b) Late 1940's.
(c) Late 1930's.
(d) Late 1950's.
9. What illness did the Bedouin believe could be caused by fright?
10. What beverage is mentioned in the "Alexandria Quartet?"
11. What was closely tied to the moral nature among the Awlad 'Ali?
12. When Lila left, how many children did the Haj have?
13. What did Bedouins believe would dry up a new mother's milk?
(a) Her eating the wrong food.
(b) Her being exposed to gold coins on another woman's necklace.
(c) Her being cursed.
(d) Her being exposed to an evil eye.
14. When did the Awlad 'Ali migrate to the desert?
15. What were women said to fear?
(d) The dark.
Short Answer Questions
1. What values were at the heart of the Awlad 'Ali moral system?
2. What was the standard by which status was measured and hierarchy determined in Awlad 'Ali society?
3. How frequent were droughts in Awlad 'Ali territory?
4. In what city had the bonds between Bedouin kin been weakened in favor of those between neighbors?
5. How far did the Western Desert stretch to the Libyan border?
This section contains 370 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)