|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Lila live with the Awlad 'Ali?
(a) January 1976 to March 1978.
(b) April 1981 to June 1983.
(c) March 1978 to November 1980.
(d) October 1978 to May 1980.
2. How old was the runaway second wife of the husband who was criticized for going to find her?
(a) 12 years younger than her husband.
(b) 5 to 10 years younger than her husband.
(c) 7 years younger than her husband.
(d) 15 to 20 years younger than her husband.
3. In the "Alexandria Quartet," what was a Bedouin youth carrying on his head?
(a) A crate of wild birds.
(b) A wrapped bundle.
(c) A bucket of water.
(d) A clay pot.
4. On page 120, what wild edible green do the children gather?
5. What color was the compound where Lila lived with the Awlad 'Ali?
(b) Light blue.
6. What did the Awlad 'Ali believe distinguished them from and made them superior to other peoples?
7. In the section "Identification and Sharing," why did a woman threaten to leave her husband?
(a) Because he hit her.
(b) Because he slurred her father's name.
(c) Because he mistreated a child.
(d) Because he took another wife.
8. What values were at the heart of the Awlad 'Ali moral system?
(a) Courage and valor.
(b) Honor and modesty.
(c) Honesty and justice.
(d) Strength and dignity.
9. Who was the man who inherited wealth, but lost respect because he submitted to his passions and chased women?
10. What was the Bedouin social system touted to be?
11. What were the client tribes called?
12. Where was a young man shot during an altercation between some Bedouin men and a group of Egyptian soldiers riding on a train through a Bedouin area?
(a) In the chest.
(b) In the arm.
(c) In the back.
(d) In the mouth.
13. When did military rule of the Western desert end?
(a) Late 1950's.
(b) Late 1960's.
(c) Late 1940's.
(d) Late 1930's.
14. What does an unmarried girl use to cover her head?
(a) A kerchief.
(b) A small hat.
(c) A headcloth.
(d) A veil.
15. How old was the man who was criticized for going to find a runaway second wife?
(a) Early 40's.
(b) Late 30's.
(c) Late 60's.
(d) Early 50's.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gave the Awlad 'Ali rights to land in the Western desert in the nineteenth century?
2. What tragedy had a middle-aged wife of a powerful tribal leader experienced two and a half years before she recited a poem to Lila?
3. How many children did the man, who was criticized for going to find his runaway second wife, have with his first wife?
4. In Bedouin ideology, what determined a man's authority?
5. How many client households were in the camp where Lila lived?
This section contains 454 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)