|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What would ewes have been fed in the desert?
2. When Lila did her fieldwork, how many of the five core household heads married paternal first cousins?
3. What beach is mentioned in the "Alexandria Quartet?"
(d) Bourg El Arab.
4. When did the Awlad 'Ali migrate into Egypt?
(a) End of the 17th or 18th centuries.
(b) End of the 15th or 16th centuries.
(c) 13th century.
(d) 14th century.
5. What color was the compound where Lila lived with the Awlad 'Ali?
(c) Light blue.
6. When did Lila first realize the sensitive nature of the poems recited by the women?
(a) When Lila heard a poem at a wedding.
(b) When a shepherd's wife recited one of these poems.
(c) When Lila heard one of these poems at a funeral.
(d) When Lila heard a poem at a birth.
7. During the first few months that Lila lived with the Awlad 'Ali, how often would Lila travel to Cairo?
(a) Every other month.
(b) Once a month.
(c) Every week.
(d) Every 2-3 weeks.
8. What nickname did foreigners give Alexandrian taxis?
(a) Death wagons.
(b) Flying coffins.
(c) Speeding coffins.
(d) Death traps.
9. What tribes were the true Awlad 'Ali?
(a) Al Adwan.
10. Which direction did Lila travel from Alexandria to reach the area where the Awald 'Ali lived?
11. Where did God banish Adam after he ate the fruit?
(a) To the south.
(b) To the east.
(c) To the west.
(d) To the north.
12. In the desert, what animal did they hunt at night?
(a) Wild hares.
(b) Game birds.
(d) Wild dogs.
13. At what age was a Bedouin man considered beyond the passions of youth?
14. What crop did the Awlad 'Ali sow yearly?
15. What color cloth would a woman in mourning tie around her waist?
(a) A green cloth.
(b) A red cloth.
(c) A black cloth.
(d) A white cloth.
Short Answer Questions
1. What values were at the heart of the Awlad 'Ali moral system?
2. How old was Nafla when her family tried to force her into a marriage?
3. Which city was near the mountain where Adam and Eve met again after being banished from the garden by God?
4. What changed the Haj's mother's attitude toward Lila?
5. When did Lila's new life begin to seem natural, so she felt as if she belonged with the Awlad 'Ali?
This section contains 413 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)