|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did a youth from the Awlad 'Ali community go to have a serious operation?
2. What crop did the Awlad 'Ali sow yearly?
3. When did Lila first realize the sensitive nature of the poems recited by the women?
(a) When Lila heard a poem at a wedding.
(b) When a shepherd's wife recited one of these poems.
(c) When Lila heard one of these poems at a funeral.
(d) When Lila heard a poem at a birth.
4. Before Lila arrived, how long had it been since the Awlad 'Ali migrated to the desert?
(a) 5 years.
(b) 7 years.
(c) 10 years.
(d) 12 years.
5. What beverage is mentioned in the "Alexandria Quartet?"
6. In the Bedouin community where Lila lived, how many times a day did the men try to pray?
7. Where was a young man shot during an altercation between some Bedouin men and a group of Egyptian soldiers riding on a train through a Bedouin area?
(a) In the mouth.
(b) In the chest.
(c) In the back.
(d) In the arm.
8. What illness did the Bedouin believe could be caused by fright?
9. Which city was near the mountain where Adam and Eve met again after being banished from the garden by God?
(b) Ar Riyad.
10. How long was a woman sexually taboo after giving birth?
(a) 45 days.
(b) 40 days.
(c) 30 days.
(d) 60 days.
11. During the first few months that Lila lived with the Awlad 'Ali, how often would Lila travel to Cairo?
(a) Every week.
(b) Once a month.
(c) Every other month.
(d) Every 2-3 weeks.
12. What did the Awlad 'Ali believe distinguished them from and made them superior to other peoples?
13. What lake could one smell after crossing a one-lane bridge leading from Alexandria to the desert?
(a) Lake Nasser.
(b) Lake Mariut.
(c) Lake Idku.
(d) Lake Timsah.
14. In the desert, what animal did they hunt at night?
(b) Wild dogs.
(c) Game birds.
(d) Wild hares.
15. At what age was a Bedouin man considered beyond the passions of youth?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Bedouins believe caused serious illness?
2. How old was the runaway second wife of the husband who was criticized for going to find her?
3. In the section "Identification and Sharing," why did a woman threaten to leave her husband?
4. In a folk tale, what did the food look like that a holy man gave a barren woman who asked for something to make her fertile?
5. What did Bedouins believe would dry up a new mother's milk?
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)