|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the camp where Lila lived, how many adults divorced at least once?
2. How many wives was a wealthy man reputed to have married in his lifetime?
3. What color cloth would a woman in mourning tie around her waist?
(a) A red cloth.
(b) A black cloth.
(c) A green cloth.
(d) A white cloth.
4. How frequent were droughts in Awlad 'Ali territory?
(a) About every 7 years.
(b) About every 6 years.
(c) About every 10 years.
(d) About every 5 years.
5. How many client households were in the camp where Lila lived?
6. During what month was rain essential for the Awlad 'Ali to water their crops?
7. When Lila did her fieldwork, how many of the five core household heads married paternal first cousins?
8. Who gave the Awlad 'Ali rights to land in the Western desert in the nineteenth century?
(a) Mohammad 'Ali.
(b) Ibrahim Pasha.
(c) Muhammad Abdel Halim.
(d) Ali Sadik Bey.
9. In a folk tale, what did the food look like that a holy man gave a barren woman who asked for something to make her fertile?
10. What beverage is mentioned in the "Alexandria Quartet?"
11. How many inches of rain commonly fell in Awlad 'Ali territory?
(a) 7 to 8 inches.
(b) 2 to 4 inches.
(c) 1 to 2 inches.
(d) 5 to 6 inches.
12. What color cummerbund would the women of the Awlad 'Ali wear around their waists?
13. On page 120, what wild edible green do the children gather?
14. Why was Lila's host mysteriously absent for a time?
(a) He was visiting kin.
(b) He had been arrested in Cairo.
(c) He was in prison.
(d) He was detained by government authorities.
15. What did Bedouins believe would dry up a new mother's milk?
(a) Her being exposed to an evil eye.
(b) Her eating the wrong food.
(c) Her being exposed to gold coins on another woman's necklace.
(d) Her being cursed.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the man who inherited wealth, but lost respect because he submitted to his passions and chased women?
2. How much of the Egyptian population consist of Bedouins of the Western desert when Lila did her fieldwork?
3. When did Lila first realize the sensitive nature of the poems recited by the women?
4. Which direction did Lila travel from Alexandria to reach the area where the Awald 'Ali lived?
5. Where did a youth from the Awlad 'Ali community go to have a serious operation?
This section contains 435 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)