|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What form of poetry did the ghinnawas most resemble?
(a) A quatrain.
(b) Japanese haiku.
(c) An Italian canzone.
(d) A cinquain.
2. What colors were associated with uncleanliness and women?
(a) Red and black.
(b) Green and blue.
(c) Red and blue.
(d) Black and white.
3. What was the Bedouin social system touted to be?
4. When did Lila live with the Awlad 'Ali?
(a) March 1978 to November 1980.
(b) January 1976 to March 1978.
(c) October 1978 to May 1980.
(d) April 1981 to June 1983.
5. After a feast for a neighbor who returned from a pilgrimage, what did Lila and some adolescent girls do?
(a) Carried water.
(b) Prepared food.
(d) Collected firewood.
6. How long was a woman sexually taboo after giving birth?
(a) 40 days.
(b) 60 days.
(c) 30 days.
(d) 45 days.
7. Why was Lila's host mysteriously absent for a time?
(a) He was in prison.
(b) He was visiting kin.
(c) He had been arrested in Cairo.
(d) He was detained by government authorities.
8. Who wrote the "Alexandria Quartet?"
(a) David Corell.
(b) Philip Manchester.
(c) Lawrence Durrell.
(d) Robert Douchester.
9. What illness did the Bedouin believe could be caused by fright?
10. What nickname did foreigners give Alexandrian taxis?
(a) Speeding coffins.
(b) Death wagons.
(c) Flying coffins.
(d) Death traps.
11. How old was the runaway second wife of the husband who was criticized for going to find her?
(a) 7 years younger than her husband.
(b) 12 years younger than her husband.
(c) 5 to 10 years younger than her husband.
(d) 15 to 20 years younger than her husband.
12. What bird represented the Bedouin ideals of manhood?
13. What pious activity was forbidden to menstruating women?
(b) A pilgrimage.
(c) Giving alms.
14. From what country did the Awlad 'Ali migrate?
(d) Saudi Arabia.
15. How many wives was a wealthy man reputed to have married in his lifetime?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who helped Lila finally begin to interpret the poems she was hearing?
2. What did Bedouins believe caused serious illness?
3. What lake could one smell after crossing a one-lane bridge leading from Alexandria to the desert?
4. When was Lila's host mysteriously absent for a period?
5. What changed the Haj's mother's attitude toward Lila?
This section contains 419 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)