|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did God banish Eve after she ate the fruit?
(a) To the east.
(b) To the west.
(c) To the north.
(d) To the south.
2. In a story told to Lila about loving daughters and abusive and heartless sons, how many daughters did a woman have?
3. Before Lila arrived, how long had it been since the Awlad 'Ali migrated to the desert?
(a) 7 years.
(b) 5 years.
(c) 12 years.
(d) 10 years.
4. What beach is mentioned in the "Alexandria Quartet?"
(d) Bourg El Arab.
5. Who wrote the "Alexandria Quartet?"
(a) David Corell.
(b) Lawrence Durrell.
(c) Philip Manchester.
(d) Robert Douchester.
6. When Lila did her fieldwork, how many of the five core household heads married paternal first cousins?
7. What color cummerbund would the women of the Awlad 'Ali wear around their waists?
8. What tragedy had a middle-aged wife of a powerful tribal leader experienced two and a half years before she recited a poem to Lila?
(a) Her husband was killed.
(b) Lost her only son.
(c) Her daughter died.
(d) Her brother died.
9. In the camp where Lila lived, how many adults divorced at least once?
10. On page 120, what wild edible green do the children gather?
11. What values were at the heart of the Awlad 'Ali moral system?
(a) Honesty and justice.
(b) Honor and modesty.
(c) Courage and valor.
(d) Strength and dignity.
12. How many wives was a wealthy man reputed to have married in his lifetime?
13. How far did the Western Desert stretch to the Libyan border?
(a) 1,000 kilometers.
(b) 600 kilometers.
(c) 1,500 kilometers.
(d) 500 kilometers.
14. What were Bedouin tents made of before the Awlad 'Ali moved into houses?
(a) Camel skins.
(b) Woven wool.
(c) Burlap sacks.
(d) Sheep skins.
15. What city did Lila spend time in while waiting for her father to arrive in Egypt?
(a) Port Said.
Short Answer Questions
1. What types of trees did the Awlad 'Ali plant?
2. What colors were associated with uncleanliness and women?
3. What form of poetry did the ghinnawas most resemble?
4. What did the Awlad 'Ali believe distinguished them from and made them superior to other peoples?
5. At what age was a Bedouin man considered beyond the passions of youth?
This section contains 381 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)