|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the desert, what animal did they hunt at night?
(a) Wild dogs.
(c) Wild hares.
(d) Game birds.
2. What values were at the heart of the Awlad 'Ali moral system?
(a) Honesty and justice.
(b) Honor and modesty.
(c) Strength and dignity.
(d) Courage and valor.
3. What did Bedouins believe would dry up a new mother's milk?
(a) Her being exposed to gold coins on another woman's necklace.
(b) Her being cursed.
(c) Her being exposed to an evil eye.
(d) Her eating the wrong food.
4. Who were the ancestors of the Awlad 'Ali?
(a) Sudanese traders.
(b) Arab invaders from the Najd.
(c) Egyptians who left the cities.
(d) Nomads from Chad.
5. What did the Awlad 'Ali believe distinguished them from and made them superior to other peoples?
6. What tragedy had a middle-aged wife of a powerful tribal leader experienced two and a half years before she recited a poem to Lila?
(a) Her husband was killed.
(b) Her daughter died.
(c) Her brother died.
(d) Lost her only son.
7. What crop did the Awlad 'Ali sow yearly?
8. Which direction did Lila travel from Alexandria to reach the area where the Awald 'Ali lived?
9. During World War II, who fought battles on Bedouin soil?
(c) Egyptians and Libyans.
(d) Germans and British.
10. How many inches of rain commonly fell in Awlad 'Ali territory?
(a) 7 to 8 inches.
(b) 1 to 2 inches.
(c) 5 to 6 inches.
(d) 2 to 4 inches.
11. What colors were associated with uncleanliness and women?
(a) Red and black.
(b) Green and blue.
(c) Red and blue.
(d) Black and white.
12. When did the Awlad 'Ali migrate to the desert?
13. What would ewes have been fed in the desert?
14. Where did God banish Adam after he ate the fruit?
(a) To the west.
(b) To the south.
(c) To the east.
(d) To the north.
15. What city did Lila spend time in while waiting for her father to arrive in Egypt?
(c) Port Said.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the standard by which status was measured and hierarchy determined in Awlad 'Ali society?
2. How old was the Haj, head of the household, where Lila lived?
3. How old was the man who lost respect because he submitted to his passions and chased women?
4. Who helped Lila finally begin to interpret the poems she was hearing?
5. What form of poetry did the ghinnawas most resemble?
This section contains 425 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)