|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was the man who was criticized for going to find a runaway second wife?
2. What was a man who needed women called?
(a) A skunk.
(b) A dog.
(c) A donkey.
(d) A turkey.
3. In Bedouin ideology, what determined a man's authority?
(b) Moral worthiness.
(d) Ascribed position.
4. How old was the man who lost respect because he submitted to his passions and chased women?
5. What was the standard by which status was measured and hierarchy determined in Awlad 'Ali society?
(a) Autonomy or freedom.
(d) Strength or dignity.
6. What illness did the Bedouin believe could be caused by fright?
7. What types of trees surrounded crude structures at the edge of the Western desert?
(a) Dwarf fig trees.
(b) Almond Trees.
(c) Olive Trees.
(d) Sycamore trees.
8. At what age was a Bedouin man considered beyond the passions of youth?
9. What colors were associated with purity and with men?
(a) White and green.
(b) Blue and white.
(c) Black and red.
(d) Yellow and red.
10. What beach is mentioned in the "Alexandria Quartet?"
(d) Bourg El Arab.
11. What tribes were the true Awlad 'Ali?
(d) Al Adwan.
12. What form of poetry did the ghinnawas most resemble?
(a) A cinquain.
(b) An Italian canzone.
(c) Japanese haiku.
(d) A quatrain.
13. How long was a woman sexually taboo after giving birth?
(a) 30 days.
(b) 45 days.
(c) 40 days.
(d) 60 days.
14. What tragedy had a middle-aged wife of a powerful tribal leader experienced two and a half years before she recited a poem to Lila?
(a) Her brother died.
(b) Her daughter died.
(c) Her husband was killed.
(d) Lost her only son.
15. Where did God banish Adam after he ate the fruit?
(a) To the west.
(b) To the east.
(c) To the north.
(d) To the south.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was the man who was criticized for going to find a runaway second wife?
2. When did the Awlad 'Ali migrate to the desert?
3. What values were at the heart of the Awlad 'Ali moral system?
4. What bird represented the Bedouin ideals of manhood?
5. In a folktale, when a man gave birth, what carried the baby away?
This section contains 379 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)