|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of the Haj's first wife?
2. How many wives was a wealthy man reputed to have married in his lifetime?
3. What form of poetry did the ghinnawas most resemble?
(a) A quatrain.
(b) An Italian canzone.
(c) A cinquain.
(d) Japanese haiku.
4. How long was a woman sexually taboo after giving birth?
(a) 60 days.
(b) 45 days.
(c) 40 days.
(d) 30 days.
5. How old was the Haj, head of the household, where Lila lived?
(a) About 55.
(b) Close to 60.
(c) About 45.
(d) Close to 50.
6. In a folktale, when a man gave birth, what carried the baby away?
(a) A bird.
(b) A wild dog.
(c) A gazelle.
(d) An ostrich
7. In what city had the bonds between Bedouin kin been weakened in favor of those between neighbors?
(a) El Moderian.
(c) Marsa Matruh.
(d) Sidi Barrani.
8. In the section "Identification and Sharing," why did a woman threaten to leave her husband?
(a) Because he hit her.
(b) Because he took another wife.
(c) Because he slurred her father's name.
(d) Because he mistreated a child.
9. When did military rule of the Western desert end?
(a) Late 1930's.
(b) Late 1950's.
(c) Late 1960's.
(d) Late 1940's.
10. In Bedouin ideology, what determined a man's authority?
(a) Moral worthiness.
(c) Ascribed position.
11. Which direction did Lila travel from Alexandria to reach the area where the Awald 'Ali lived?
12. At what age was a Bedouin man considered beyond the passions of youth?
13. In a folk tale, what did the food look like that a holy man gave a barren woman who asked for something to make her fertile?
14. During World War II, who fought battles on Bedouin soil?
(b) Egyptians and Libyans.
(c) Germans and British.
15. When did the Awlad 'Ali migrate to the desert?
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was the man who lost respect because he submitted to his passions and chased women?
2. How frequent were droughts in Awlad 'Ali territory?
3. What color was the compound where Lila lived with the Awlad 'Ali?
4. When did Lila live with the Awlad 'Ali?
5. What did the Awlad 'Ali believe distinguished them from and made them superior to other peoples?
This section contains 381 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)