|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How far did the Western Desert stretch to the Libyan border?
(a) 1,000 kilometers.
(b) 600 kilometers.
(c) 500 kilometers.
(d) 1,500 kilometers.
2. Why was Lila's host mysteriously absent for a time?
(a) He was visiting kin.
(b) He was in prison.
(c) He was detained by government authorities.
(d) He had been arrested in Cairo.
3. What was the Bedouin social system touted to be?
4. What changed the Haj's mother's attitude toward Lila?
(a) Her husband's funeral.
(b) Her brother's funeral.
(c) Her daughter's wedding.
(d) Her son's wedding.
5. What would ewes have been fed in the desert?
6. What was the standard by which status was measured and hierarchy determined in Awlad 'Ali society?
(a) Autonomy or freedom.
(c) Strength or dignity.
7. Who was the man who inherited wealth, but lost respect because he submitted to his passions and chased women?
8. What were women said to fear?
(c) The dark.
9. What types of trees surrounded crude structures at the edge of the Western desert?
(a) Dwarf fig trees.
(b) Almond Trees.
(c) Sycamore trees.
(d) Olive Trees.
10. How many children did the man, who was criticized for going to find his runaway second wife, have with his first wife?
11. In the section "Identification and Sharing," why did a woman threaten to leave her husband?
(a) Because he slurred her father's name.
(b) Because he took another wife.
(c) Because he mistreated a child.
(d) Because he hit her.
12. When did the Awlad 'Ali migrate into Egypt?
(a) End of the 17th or 18th centuries.
(b) End of the 15th or 16th centuries.
(c) 14th century.
(d) 13th century.
13. How long was a woman sexually taboo after giving birth?
(a) 45 days.
(b) 60 days.
(c) 30 days.
(d) 40 days.
14. What colors were associated with uncleanliness and women?
(a) Red and black.
(b) Black and white.
(c) Green and blue.
(d) Red and blue.
15. When was Lila's host mysteriously absent for a period?
(a) For her first two months in the field.
(b) For six months during the second year of Lila's fieldwork.
(c) Toward the end of Lila's time in the field.
(d) Six months before the end of Lila's fieldwork.
Short Answer Questions
1. What pious activity was forbidden to menstruating women?
2. During the first few months that Lila lived with the Awlad 'Ali, how often would Lila travel to Cairo?
3. Before Lila arrived, how long had it been since the Awlad 'Ali migrated to the desert?
4. Who wrote the "Alexandria Quartet?"
5. What was closely tied to the moral nature among the Awlad 'Ali?
This section contains 425 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)