Short Essay Questions
The 60 short essay questions listed in this section require a one to two sentence answer. They ask students to demonstrate a deeper understanding of the text. Students must describe what they've read, rather than just recall it.
Short Essay Question - Chapter 1, Guest and Daughter
1. Why did foreigners call taxis in Alexandria "flying coffins"?
2. How far had some men traveled outside the Awlad 'Ali community?
3. Why were the core families where Lila stayed able to avoid cooperating in government settlement schemes?
4. How did the Awlad 'Ali obtain water for their daily needs?
5. What questions and doubts do anthropologists deal with when doing field work?
6. Why did Lila's father go with her to the area where the Awlad 'Ali lived?
This section contains 820 words|
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)