|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Sedley realize about William Dobbin in chapter 18?
2. Which character in chapter 31 appears quite tragic because of his efforts in trying to fit in with the military crowd?
3. Who is Chopper?
4. What is true about the Osborne sisters as seen in chapter 21?
5. Who meet in the park where Becky Sharp and Rawdon Crawley are riding?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is true of John Osborne as seen in chapter 42?
2. What is the similarity between Mrs. Bute and Becky Sharp, as we see in chapter 19?
3. What is true of George Osborne's character, as seen in chapter 28?
4. How does Becky Sharp manage to come back into the society?
5. What is true of Becky Sharp from chapter 51?
6. What is the conversation between Pitt and Becky Sharp as seen in chapter 55?
7. How does the narrator describe the character of Sir Pitt Crawley?
8. How does the author show the re-entry of Becky Sharp to the plot of the novel?
9. What gesture of William Dobbin's shows his love for Amelia Sedley, as seen in chapter 17?
10. Why is William Dobbin called "figs"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Contrast the two main female characters in the novel, namely Becky Sharp and Amelia Sedley.
Essay Topic 2
The author makes a very intelligent use of names of the characters, for example, Becky "Sharp", the "Crawleys", etc. How does the author draw a parallel between the names of the characters and their personalities?
Essay Topic 3
What is the symbolism used in the novel? Elucidate with examples from the text.
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)