|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do all of Amelia Sedley's peers despise her?
2. Which is true of Joseph Sedley's character?
3. Who is Amelia Sedley's escort in Belgium?
4. When the characters head to Belgium by sea, which of them gets seasick?
5. By the end of chapter 20, what is the author portraying about all the characters in this novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the similarity between Mrs. Bute and Becky Sharp, as we see in chapter 19?
2. What do the characters think of William Dobbin?
3. What is happening to the relationship between Rawdon Crawley and Becky Sharp?
4. What is the significant event in chapter 32?
5. Why do the women at the military party get jealous of Amelia Sedley?
6. How does the author show instances of greed and selfishness in chapter 23?
7. What is the decision Amelia Sedley takes as seen in chapter 50?
8. Why is Amelia Sedley upset at William Dobbin?
9. Why is William Dobbin called "figs"?
10. What is the setting of the novel and what idea do we get about the characters of Becky Sharp and Amelia Sedley as seen in chapter one?
Essay Topic 1
Irony plays a crucial part in the novel. Do you agree? If so, how and why?
Essay Topic 2
Appearances and social status play a very big role in the novel. How do these two aspects bring about the characters' downfall?
Essay Topic 3
How does William Thackeray employ satire in the novel?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)