|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who leaves the Sedley home at the end of chapter six?
2. Which character is a political activist and a philosopher?
3. Which character in chapter 31 appears quite tragic because of his efforts in trying to fit in with the military crowd?
4. Who is Chopper?
5. What item do Becky Sharp and Rawdon Crawley bid on at a public auction?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the death of Lady Rose Crawley really say about the characters of the novel?
2. Why do the women at the military party get jealous of Amelia Sedley?
3. Why does Becky Sharp marry Rawdon Crawley even though she does not like him?
4. What is the setting of the novel and what idea do we get about the characters of Becky Sharp and Amelia Sedley as seen in chapter one?
5. Why does Amelia Sedley scream at Becky Sharp when both see each other?
6. What aspect of Becky Sharp's character do we see in chapter 41?
7. How does Rawdon Crawley feel when his son is sent away to boarding school?
8. Upon hearing about his son George Osborne marrying Amelia Sedley, what does John Osborne do and why?
9. What is true of George Osborne's character, as seen in chapter 28?
10. Why is John Osborne so cold to Amelia Sedley?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the narrative technique in Vanity Fair? How does the author present himself throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Give a detailed character analysis of Rawdon Crawley.
Essay Topic 3
Relationships hold no importance for anyone in Vanity Fair. How do relationships ebb and fall in the novel?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)