|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What aspect of George Osborne's character is revealed in chapter six?
2. What item does Becky Sharp sell to get money?
3. Who is Bute Crawley?
4. Who is Chopper?
5. Who is Miss Briggs?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Becky Sharp dislike Lady Jane and vice versa?
2. What are the events that take place in chapter 40?
3. What is the author trying to show in chapter 62?
4. How does the author show the re-entry of Becky Sharp to the plot of the novel?
5. How does Rawdon Crawley feel when his son is sent away to boarding school?
6. What is the significant event in chapter 32?
7. How does Becky Sharp manage to come back into the society?
8. What gesture of William Dobbin's shows his love for Amelia Sedley, as seen in chapter 17?
9. What is true of Amelia Sedley's social growth as seen in chapter 60?
10. Why does Becky Sharp marry Rawdon Crawley even though she does not like him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Becky Sharp is a character who lives by her wits. Explain with examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
What is the narrative technique in Vanity Fair? How does the author present himself throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Irony plays a crucial part in the novel. Do you agree? If so, how and why?
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)