|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character is promoted to a rank of a major?
2. Whom does Becky Sharp flatter, as seen in chapter 31?
3. Why is it that Becky Sharp does not like William Dobbin?
4. Who is engaged to Lady Jane Sheepshanks?
5. What aspect of George Osborne's character is revealed in chapter six?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Rawdon Crawley is bailed out from jail?
2. How does chapter 13 further establish George Osborne's true personality?
3. What is the author trying to tell the readers through chapter 22?
4. How does the author show instances of greed and selfishness in chapter 23?
5. What is the character of Lady Southdown?
6. Why does Becky Sharp marry Rawdon Crawley even though she does not like him?
7. What is Becky Sharp up to in chapter 29 to raise her social status?
8. What is happening to the relationship between Rawdon Crawley and Becky Sharp?
9. Which couple is reunited as seen in chapter 58?
10. How does the Crawley household react when Matilda Crawley visits them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the narrative technique in Vanity Fair? How does the author present himself throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Relationships hold no importance for anyone in Vanity Fair. How do relationships ebb and fall in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Contrast the two main female characters in the novel, namely Becky Sharp and Amelia Sedley.
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)