|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What item do Becky Sharp and Rawdon Crawley bid on at a public auction?
2. What does Mrs. Sedley realize about William Dobbin in chapter 18?
3. What is it about the O'Dowds that people make fun of?
4. Which character is promoted to a rank of a major?
5. At Matilda Crawley's house, who becomes the household matriarch?
Short Essay Questions
1. What gesture of William Dobbin's shows his love for Amelia Sedley, as seen in chapter 17?
2. How does the author show the re-entry of Becky Sharp to the plot of the novel?
3. What is true of the Steyne family?
4. How does the narrator describe the character of Sir Pitt Crawley?
5. Why is John Osborne so cold to Amelia Sedley?
6. How does the Osbornes split after the death of John Osborne?
7. What else do we get to know about the character of Becky Sharp when she visits the Sedleys?
8. Upon hearing about his son George Osborne marrying Amelia Sedley, what does John Osborne do and why?
9. What is Becky Sharp up to in chapter 29 to raise her social status?
10. How does the Crawley household react when Matilda Crawley visits them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does William Thackeray employ satire in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
What is the narrative technique in Vanity Fair? How does the author present himself throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Appearances and social status play a very big role in the novel. How do these two aspects bring about the characters' downfall?
This section contains 1,136 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)