|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character is promoted to a rank of a major?
2. Why do all of Amelia Sedley's peers despise her?
3. Which of the Crawley's is NOT befriended by Becky Sharp?
4. What does William Dobbin tell George Osborne that softens his heart towards Amelia Sedley?
5. Whom does Becky Sharp flatter, as seen in chapter 31?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the decision Amelia Sedley takes as seen in chapter 50?
2. What else do we get to know about the character of Becky Sharp when she visits the Sedleys?
3. What is true of John Osborne as seen in chapter 42?
4. What is true of George Osborne's character, as seen in chapter 28?
5. What is true of Amelia Sedley's social growth as seen in chapter 60?
6. How does the author show instances of greed and selfishness in chapter 23?
7. Why does Rawdon Crawley go to his brother's house?
8. What is the author trying to tell the readers through chapter 22?
9. Why does Matilda Crawley write a nasty letter to Becky Sharp?
10. What is the author trying to show in chapter 62?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does William Thackeray call this novel "a novel without a hero"?
Essay Topic 2
Do you think Becky Sharp deserves the ending she is given by the author in the novel? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Contrast the two main female characters in the novel, namely Becky Sharp and Amelia Sedley.
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)