|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is George Osborne actually going when he lies to Amelia Sedley and tells her that he is going on business?
2. When Rawdon Crawley is leaving for the war, what is Becky Sharp busy thinking about?
3. Where is an auction being held?
4. Which of the characters dies in the war?
5. What kind of a couple is Major and Mrs. O'Dowd?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of an ending does the narrator envision for Amelia Sedley and William Dobbin?
2. How does the author show the re-entry of Becky Sharp to the plot of the novel?
3. Which couple is reunited as seen in chapter 58?
4. Why do the women at the military party get jealous of Amelia Sedley?
5. Why does William Dobbin get angry when he reads Amelia Sedley's letter?
6. What else do we get to know about the character of Becky Sharp when she visits the Sedleys?
7. What does the author tell the readers about the character of Georgy Osborne?
8. Why does Lady Steyne have tears in her eyes as seen in chapter 49?
9. How does chapter 13 further establish George Osborne's true personality?
10. What aspect of Becky Sharp's character do we see in chapter 41?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is Vanity Fair a unified novel in terms of themes, plot etc.? Give examples.
Essay Topic 2
What is the narrative technique in Vanity Fair? How does the author present himself throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Give a detailed character analysis of Rawdon Crawley.
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)