|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Miss Firkin?
2. Who is Bute Crawley?
3. What does John Osborne do when at the study room?
4. Whom does the item, that is being bid on, initially belong to?
5. Which character is promoted to a rank of a major?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Amelia Sedley scream at Becky Sharp when both see each other?
2. How is selfishness depicted through the characters in chapter 30?
3. What do the characters think of William Dobbin?
4. What does the author tell the readers about the character of Georgy Osborne?
5. How does the Crawley household react when Matilda Crawley visits them?
6. What is true of the Steyne family?
7. How does Becky Sharp manage to come back into the society?
8. How does Rawdon Crawley feel when his son is sent away to boarding school?
9. What is the author trying to show in chapter 62?
10. How is Becky Sharp being treated by people as we seen in chapter 64?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Appearances and social status play a very big role in the novel. How do these two aspects bring about the characters' downfall?
Essay Topic 2
Relationships hold no importance for anyone in Vanity Fair. How do relationships ebb and fall in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Why does William Thackeray call this novel "a novel without a hero"?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)