|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the scene in Belgium when the characters reach?
2. Who is Horrocks?
3. Why do all of Amelia Sedley's peers despise her?
4. Who does Becky Sharp seduce so that Rawdon Crawley gains status?
5. Who is Jane?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Amelia Sedley become such a frustrated a character, as seen in chapter 26?
2. What is true of George Osborne's character, as seen in chapter 28?
3. How does chapter 13 further establish George Osborne's true personality?
4. How does Rawdon Crawley feel when his son is sent away to boarding school?
5. What is true of Becky Sharp from chapter 51?
6. What is true of John Osborne as seen in chapter 42?
7. What is the author trying to show in chapter 62?
8. How does the author show the re-entry of Becky Sharp to the plot of the novel?
9. What is the author trying to tell the readers through chapter 22?
10. Why does Matilda Crawley write a nasty letter to Becky Sharp?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author makes a very intelligent use of names of the characters, for example, Becky "Sharp", the "Crawleys", etc. How does the author draw a parallel between the names of the characters and their personalities?
Essay Topic 2
What is the narrative technique in Vanity Fair? How does the author present himself throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 3
How is humor being used by the author in the novel?
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)