|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is George Osborne doing when Amelia Sedley and Becky Sharp are riding around the town?
2. Which character is quite smitten by William Dobbin's charms?
3. Who is Chopper?
4. What does Mrs. Sedley realize about William Dobbin in chapter 18?
5. Who is Mr. Bullock?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the author tell the readers about the character of Georgy Osborne?
2. What is the author trying to tell the readers through chapter 22?
3. What gesture of William Dobbin's shows his love for Amelia Sedley, as seen in chapter 17?
4. What is the similarity between Mrs. Bute and Becky Sharp, as we see in chapter 19?
5. What aspect of Amelia Sedley's personality does chapter 38 highlight?
6. What is true of the Osborne family's reaction to George Osborne marrying Amelia Sedley?
7. How is selfishness depicted through the characters in chapter 30?
8. What happens when Rawdon Crawley is bailed out from jail?
9. Why do the women at the military party get jealous of Amelia Sedley?
10. What else do we get to know about the character of Becky Sharp when she visits the Sedleys?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Give examples of imagery used in Vanity Fair and how it helps further the plot of the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Becky Sharp is a character who lives by her wits. Explain with examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
What is the symbolism used in the novel? Elucidate with examples from the text.
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)