|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Matilda's Crawley's new companion?
2. Who is Chopper?
3. Why is the trip to the vauxhall canceled?
4. Which character is a political activist and a philosopher?
5. Which character in chapter 31 appears quite tragic because of his efforts in trying to fit in with the military crowd?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is John Osborne so cold to Amelia Sedley?
2. How does the author show instances of greed and selfishness in chapter 23?
3. What is the significant event in chapter 32?
4. Why do the women at the military party get jealous of Amelia Sedley?
5. What is true of the characters of William Dobbin and George Sedley from chapters five and six?
6. What insight does the narrator give into the Crawley family?
7. How is Becky Sharp being treated by people as we seen in chapter 64?
8. How does Becky Sharp manage to come back into the society?
9. Which couple is reunited as seen in chapter 58?
10. Why does Amelia Sedley become such a frustrated a character, as seen in chapter 26?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Give a detailed character analysis of Rawdon Crawley.
Essay Topic 2
Appearances and social status play a very big role in the novel. How do these two aspects bring about the characters' downfall?
Essay Topic 3
Is Vanity Fair a unified novel in terms of themes, plot etc.? Give examples.
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)