|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is true about George Osborne's personality from chapter 13?
2. What does William Dobbin encourage Amelia Sedley and George Osborne to do?
3. Whom does Amelia Sedley love?
4. Who is Jane?
5. Who takes over as a health advisory and pharmacist for Matilda Crawley?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of an ending does the narrator envision for Amelia Sedley and William Dobbin?
2. What is the setting of the novel and what idea do we get about the characters of Becky Sharp and Amelia Sedley as seen in chapter one?
3. How does Becky Sharp manage to come back into the society?
4. What is the conversation between Pitt and Becky Sharp as seen in chapter 55?
5. How does the Osbornes split after the death of John Osborne?
6. How does the author show the re-entry of Becky Sharp to the plot of the novel?
7. What is the author trying to show in chapter 62?
8. What gesture of William Dobbin's shows his love for Amelia Sedley, as seen in chapter 17?
9. What is true of George Osborne's character, as seen in chapter 28?
10. Why does Matilda Crawley write a nasty letter to Becky Sharp?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the narrative technique in Vanity Fair? How does the author present himself throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 2
The author makes a very intelligent use of names of the characters, for example, Becky "Sharp", the "Crawleys", etc. How does the author draw a parallel between the names of the characters and their personalities?
Essay Topic 3
Give a detailed character analysis of Rawdon Crawley.
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)