|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Rawdon Crawley is leaving for the war, what is Becky Sharp busy thinking about?
2. Which character in chapter 31 appears quite tragic because of his efforts in trying to fit in with the military crowd?
3. When the characters head to Belgium by sea, which of them gets seasick?
4. What is true about the Osborne sisters as seen in chapter 21?
5. Why does William Dobbin get angry at John Osborne when Osborne is making a speech to William Dobbin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What aspect of Amelia Sedley's personality does chapter 38 highlight?
2. How does the author show the re-entry of Becky Sharp to the plot of the novel?
3. Why is Amelia Sedley very annoying to the readers in chapter 57?
4. Why does Rawdon Crawley go to his brother's house?
5. What is the character of Lady Southdown?
6. What is happening to the relationship between Rawdon Crawley and Becky Sharp?
7. How does the narrator describe the character of Sir Pitt Crawley?
8. What insight does the narrator give into the Crawley family?
9. What else do we get to know about the character of Becky Sharp when she visits the Sedleys?
10. What does the death of Lady Rose Crawley really say about the characters of the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is humor being used by the author in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Give a detailed character analysis of Rawdon Crawley.
Essay Topic 3
Why does William Thackeray call this novel "a novel without a hero"?
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)