|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does William Dobbin tell George Osborne that softens his heart towards Amelia Sedley?
2. What is true about Sir Crawley's character as seen in chapter seven?
3. At Matilda Crawley's house, who becomes the household matriarch?
4. Which is true of Joseph Sedley's character?
5. Which character is promoted to a rank of a major?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Becky Sharp dislike Lady Jane and vice versa?
2. How is selfishness depicted through the characters in chapter 30?
3. Upon hearing about his son George Osborne marrying Amelia Sedley, what does John Osborne do and why?
4. Why do the women at the military party get jealous of Amelia Sedley?
5. How does the narrator set up the character of Amelia Sedley as seen in chapter 12?
6. Which couple is reunited as seen in chapter 58?
7. What is the author trying to tell the readers through chapter 22?
8. How does the narrator describe the character of Sir Pitt Crawley?
9. Why is Amelia Sedley upset at William Dobbin?
10. What aspect of Becky Sharp's character do we see in chapter 41?
Essay Topic 1
Contrast the two main female characters in the novel, namely Becky Sharp and Amelia Sedley.
Essay Topic 2
How is humor being used by the author in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
There are many themes found in the novel. Expand on any two themes that is relevant to the novel and substantiate with examples how the theme is worked into the novel with the help of characters, settings, etc.
This section contains 1,170 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)