|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Mr. Bullock take the Osborne sisters to?
2. The novel is set in what time period?
3. Where is an auction being held?
4. Which character is quite smitten by William Dobbin's charms?
5. What is George Osborne doing when Amelia Sedley and Becky Sharp are riding around the town?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is true of George Osborne's character, as seen in chapter 28?
2. What aspect of Becky Sharp's character do we see in chapter 41?
3. How does the Crawley household react when Matilda Crawley visits them?
4. What is true of the Steyne family?
5. What is the lifestyle of Rawdon Crawley and Becky Sharp when living in Paris?
6. Why does Becky Sharp marry Rawdon Crawley even though she does not like him?
7. Why does Lady Steyne have tears in her eyes as seen in chapter 49?
8. How is Becky Sharp being treated by people as we seen in chapter 64?
9. How does the author show the re-entry of Becky Sharp to the plot of the novel?
10. What is the character of Lady Southdown?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Give a detailed character analysis of Rawdon Crawley.
Essay Topic 2
What is the narrative technique in Vanity Fair? How does the author present himself throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 3
The author makes a very intelligent use of names of the characters, for example, Becky "Sharp", the "Crawleys", etc. How does the author draw a parallel between the names of the characters and their personalities?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)