|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the turnout for Lestat's concert?
2. During their journey away from Paris, what does Gabrielle often do?
3. How does Marius react when he sees that Lestat is in the sanctuary?
4. Starving, what happens to Lestat?
5. What happens in Istanbul and Greece?
Short Essay Questions
1. When does Marius receive the most information about what happened to the old vampire in the tree?
2. What is so frightening to Lestat about Those Who Must Be Kept?
3. In what way is Marius different from Armand as Lestat raises his questions?
4. How does Marius at first react to the story of the creation of the vampires?
5. Where does Lestat go after leaving Marius and how does he like his new surroundings?
6. In Alexandria, what does Marius learn about the beginnings of vampires and what happened to turn them all black and charred?
7. What is the symbolic meaning of the loud booming sound of the heart of Marius?
8. What special privilege is given Marius as he prepares to remove the ancient vampires?
9. What help does Marius receive in becoming the guardian of Those Who Must Be Kept?
10. Why is Gabrielle's idea of freedom much different from Lestat's?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on New Orleans as an Ideal Setting for vampire mythology. Points in the essay should include (1) the European flavor of the city, (2) the reputation of the city for sinfulness during Mardi Gras, and (3) the mysterious nature of the countryside.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on how Anne Rice managed to transform vampire shtick into real literature. Mention her craft at (1) telling a compelling story, (2) her familiarity with locations and ability to describe them realistically, and (3) Rice's use of language to bring her tales to life.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on The Madness of Nicolas. In your essay, define (1) how Nicki's early philosophy conflict with the nature of vampires, (2) how resentment and anger shaped Nicki's attitudes before he became a vampire, (3) how the effects of his kidnapping trauma deepened his psychosis, and (4) how possessing the power of a vampire put him completely over the edge.
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)