|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sound arouses Lestat's attention while he is underground?
2. Why does Lestat stay so long underground?
3. What has Lestat been doing to upset the vampires?
4. Where is Lestat's father who is begging him to come to him?
5. In the dream, which brother celebrates Lestat?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the old vampire's prediction come true for Marius?
2. Why is Gabrielle's idea of freedom much different from Lestat's?
3. What special privilege is given Marius as he prepares to remove the ancient vampires?
4. What help does Marius receive in becoming the guardian of Those Who Must Be Kept?
5. As the vampires threatening Lestat begin to burst into flames, how is the question of what caused that resolved?
6. How is Marius aided in the process of taking Those Who Must Be Kept out of Egypt?
7. Why does Marius receive no information about the calamity that befell the old god of the Druids?
8. Predictably, after being warned by Marius not to return to the chapel where the Mother and Father are kept, what does Lestat do?
9. How does Marius at first react to the story of the creation of the vampires?
10. What nearly disastrous thing does Lestat do in New Orleans?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on escapism in literature. (1) Define escapism. (2) Point out the benefits of escapism. (3) Apply your idea of escapism to THE VAMPIRE LESTAT.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on New Orleans as an Ideal Setting for vampire mythology. Points in the essay should include (1) the European flavor of the city, (2) the reputation of the city for sinfulness during Mardi Gras, and (3) the mysterious nature of the countryside.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on The Treasures of Marius. In your essay list the main rooms of Marius' mountainside palace and discuss the aesthetic quality of the art, music, plants, and animals. Identify the things you like best and give your reasons for those preferences.
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)