|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the problem with Enkil?
2. What does the burnt creature tell Marius?
3. In the dream, which brother celebrates Lestat?
4. Using mental telepathy, what does the female give to Lestat?
5. As Lestat prepares to go to the New World, where is Gabrielle planning to go?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Armand pays Lestat a visit, what does Lestat decide to do in 1929?
2. What nearly disastrous thing does Lestat do in New Orleans?
3. What is the symbolic meaning of the loud booming sound of the heart of Marius?
4. In Alexandria, what does Marius learn about the beginnings of vampires and what happened to turn them all black and charred?
5. How does the old vampire's prediction come true for Marius?
6. Why does Gabrielle stick around after Lestat receives the Stradivarius in Cairo?
7. How does Gabrielle behave from the very beginning of the journey she goes on with Lestat?
8. Define the literary usage of the dream Lestat has.
9. How do the riots start at Lestat's San Francisco rock concert?
10. How is Marius aided in the process of taking Those Who Must Be Kept out of Egypt?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on The Treasures of Marius. In your essay list the main rooms of Marius' mountainside palace and discuss the aesthetic quality of the art, music, plants, and animals. Identify the things you like best and give your reasons for those preferences.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on The Mysterious Romance of Early Egypt. Discuss how appropriate a setting Early Egypt makes for the beginnings of vampires on earth. Include (1) the ancient age of the Egyptian civilization, (2) the mystic religions of Egypt and their emphasis on life after death, and (3) the belief that Pharaohs were gods incarnate. Make sure you relate how each of these conditions make the origin of vampires believable.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on escapism in literature. (1) Define escapism. (2) Point out the benefits of escapism. (3) Apply your idea of escapism to THE VAMPIRE LESTAT.
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)