|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Under what condition does Gabrielle make Lestat promise he will find her?
2. When Marius leaves his house, what restriction does he place on Lestat?
3. When, according to another burnt vampire, were their kind created?
4. What does Akasha do after Lestat plays Nicki's violin for Those Who Must Be Kept?
5. What does Marius learn happened to the Mother and the Father that caused all vampires to burn?
Short Essay Questions
1. Predictably, after being warned by Marius not to return to the chapel where the Mother and Father are kept, what does Lestat do?
2. What happens to Lestat after Marius saves him from being destroyed by Enkil?
3. what are the two major topics of interest to Lestat as he reads mail from Paris?
4. In what way is Marius different from Armand as Lestat raises his questions?
5. How do the riots start at Lestat's San Francisco rock concert?
6. How is Marius aided in the process of taking Those Who Must Be Kept out of Egypt?
7. How does Marius at first react to the story of the creation of the vampires?
8. What admission does Marius make to Lestat?
9. What nearly disastrous thing does Lestat do in New Orleans?
10. Why is Gabrielle's idea of freedom much different from Lestat's?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on The Evolution of the Vampire from Count Dracula to Lestat. Discuss how the image of the vampire has changed from the caped monster capable of transmogrifying into a bat to the urbane fiend capable of going unnoticed among mortals. You may want to speculate on future evolution based on the Twilight series that has become so popular in the 21st century.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on The Madness of Nicolas. In your essay, define (1) how Nicki's early philosophy conflict with the nature of vampires, (2) how resentment and anger shaped Nicki's attitudes before he became a vampire, (3) how the effects of his kidnapping trauma deepened his psychosis, and (4) how possessing the power of a vampire put him completely over the edge.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on Good Use of Flashbacks in Literature. Your essay should describe the flashbacks that tell the stories of Armand, Marius, and Lestat. Discuss how Rice uses this method to explain the histories of the various characters and their contribution to the continuity of the story.
This section contains 843 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)