|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Akasha do after Lestat plays Nicki's violin for Those Who Must Be Kept?
2. Why does Lestat stay under the earth after hearing the beating sound?
3. Seriously wounded, where does Lestat go to regain his strength?
4. At what point does Marius begin to understand?
5. How did more vampires come into being?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Marius receive no information about the calamity that befell the old god of the Druids?
2. In Alexandria, what does Marius learn about the beginnings of vampires and what happened to turn them all black and charred?
3. What special privilege is given Marius as he prepares to remove the ancient vampires?
4. Predictably, after being warned by Marius not to return to the chapel where the Mother and Father are kept, what does Lestat do?
5. As the vampires threatening Lestat begin to burst into flames, how is the question of what caused that resolved?
6. What help does Marius receive in becoming the guardian of Those Who Must Be Kept?
7. When Lestat cannot locate Marius and Gabrielle takes off for deep Africa, how does the reader see Lestat's depression?
8. What happens to Lestat after Marius saves him from being destroyed by Enkil?
9. When does Marius receive the most information about what happened to the old vampire in the tree?
10. Define the literary usage of the dream Lestat has.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on why you think religious icons no longer deter vampires in modern vampire lore. Points should include (1) how early vampire stories were conceived during a time when the church was very strong; and (2) the way religion has changed in the 20th and 21st centuries.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on Why I Would (or Would Not) Like to be a Vampire. Be specific in your answers, giving at least three main points supporting what you would or would not like about being an immortal creature of the night.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on Symbolism of Darkness and Sunlight in vampire lore. Discuss the symbolism of darkness and night as being associated with things evil and frightening. Include the idea that vampires are limited by the dark hours of the day. Moving to the image of the sun, discuss how the sun is generally associated with good. Include how sunlight eliminates the fear of unseen threats.
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)