|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the condition of the old god?
2. Who comes to New Orleans to visit Lestat?
3. What does Lestat do when he returns from Paris to New Orleans?
4. At Marius' house, how are the two vampires dressed?
5. As Lestat prepares to go to the New World, where is Gabrielle planning to go?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Lestat cannot locate Marius and Gabrielle takes off for deep Africa, how does the reader see Lestat's depression?
2. How is it clear that Marius went looking for Lestat on purpose?
3. Why is Gabrielle's idea of freedom much different from Lestat's?
4. In what way is Marius different from Armand as Lestat raises his questions?
5. Having returned in 1984, what is Lestat about to do that has other vampires up in arms?
6. As the vampires threatening Lestat begin to burst into flames, how is the question of what caused that resolved?
7. What happens to Lestat after Marius saves him from being destroyed by Enkil?
8. What special privilege is given Marius as he prepares to remove the ancient vampires?
9. What nearly disastrous thing does Lestat do in New Orleans?
10. What is the symbolic meaning of the loud booming sound of the heart of Marius?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on Good Use of Flashbacks in Literature. Your essay should describe the flashbacks that tell the stories of Armand, Marius, and Lestat. Discuss how Rice uses this method to explain the histories of the various characters and their contribution to the continuity of the story.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on why you think religious icons no longer deter vampires in modern vampire lore. Points should include (1) how early vampire stories were conceived during a time when the church was very strong; and (2) the way religion has changed in the 20th and 21st centuries.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on The Vulnerability of Vampires. Discuss in your essay (1) the threat of humans who hunt down vampires, (2) the threat of other vampires, and (3) the threat of long exposure to the sun or being consumed by fire.
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)