|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens during the night at Marius' rented house?
2. How does Marius react when he sees that Lestat is in the sanctuary?
3. Reunited, what do Gabrielle, Louis, and Lestat try to figure out?
4. What do the vampires call the process of making another vampire?
5. Where is Lestat's father who is begging him to come to him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Gabrielle's idea of freedom much different from Lestat's?
2. When does Marius receive the most information about what happened to the old vampire in the tree?
3. How is Marius aided in the process of taking Those Who Must Be Kept out of Egypt?
4. In Alexandria, what does Marius learn about the beginnings of vampires and what happened to turn them all black and charred?
5. What is so frightening to Lestat about Those Who Must Be Kept?
6. As the vampires threatening Lestat begin to burst into flames, how is the question of what caused that resolved?
7. What occurs in Lestat as his body becomes emaciated from lack of drinking blood?
8. In what way is Marius different from Armand as Lestat raises his questions?
9. How does Marius at first react to the story of the creation of the vampires?
10. Define the literary usage of the dream Lestat has.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on why you think religious icons no longer deter vampires in modern vampire lore. Points should include (1) how early vampire stories were conceived during a time when the church was very strong; and (2) the way religion has changed in the 20th and 21st centuries.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on The Obsession of Man with Immortality. The essay should focus on the search for the Fountain of Youth that has evolved into cosmetic surgery in the ages-old attempt to live forever. Use examples from The Vampire Lestat to show that immortality is not the happy condition humans imagine it to be.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on Symbolism of Darkness and Sunlight in vampire lore. Discuss the symbolism of darkness and night as being associated with things evil and frightening. Include the idea that vampires are limited by the dark hours of the day. Moving to the image of the sun, discuss how the sun is generally associated with good. Include how sunlight eliminates the fear of unseen threats.
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)