|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marius learn from drinking Akasha's blood?
2. Who pulls Lestat from the ground?
3. What does the burnt creature tell Marius?
4. As Lestat prepares to go to the New World, where is Gabrielle planning to go?
5. What does the stranger in the tavern do to Marius?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Marius receive no information about the calamity that befell the old god of the Druids?
2. What special privilege is given Marius as he prepares to remove the ancient vampires?
3. Having returned in 1984, what is Lestat about to do that has other vampires up in arms?
4. How does Marius let Lestat know that he has nothing to fear while he is a guest in his house?
5. what are the two major topics of interest to Lestat as he reads mail from Paris?
6. As the vampires threatening Lestat begin to burst into flames, how is the question of what caused that resolved?
7. How do the riots start at Lestat's San Francisco rock concert?
8. How does Gabrielle behave from the very beginning of the journey she goes on with Lestat?
9. How does Marius at first react to the story of the creation of the vampires?
10. In Alexandria, what does Marius learn about the beginnings of vampires and what happened to turn them all black and charred?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on New Orleans as an Ideal Setting for vampire mythology. Points in the essay should include (1) the European flavor of the city, (2) the reputation of the city for sinfulness during Mardi Gras, and (3) the mysterious nature of the countryside.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on Symbolism of Darkness and Sunlight in vampire lore. Discuss the symbolism of darkness and night as being associated with things evil and frightening. Include the idea that vampires are limited by the dark hours of the day. Moving to the image of the sun, discuss how the sun is generally associated with good. Include how sunlight eliminates the fear of unseen threats.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on The Madness of Nicolas. In your essay, define (1) how Nicki's early philosophy conflict with the nature of vampires, (2) how resentment and anger shaped Nicki's attitudes before he became a vampire, (3) how the effects of his kidnapping trauma deepened his psychosis, and (4) how possessing the power of a vampire put him completely over the edge.
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)