|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Lestat have to leave Marius house hurriedly?
2. Why is Lestat feeling strong after being pulled from the earth?
3. Who chooses Marius to be the new god?
4. What are the images in Lestat's next warning?
5. What does Akasha do after Lestat plays Nicki's violin for Those Who Must Be Kept?
Short Essay Questions
1. As the vampires threatening Lestat begin to burst into flames, how is the question of what caused that resolved?
2. When Lestat cannot locate Marius and Gabrielle takes off for deep Africa, how does the reader see Lestat's depression?
3. Where does Lestat go after leaving Marius and how does he like his new surroundings?
4. What occurs in Lestat as his body becomes emaciated from lack of drinking blood?
5. Why does Gabrielle stick around after Lestat receives the Stradivarius in Cairo?
6. Why is Gabrielle's idea of freedom much different from Lestat's?
7. After Armand pays Lestat a visit, what does Lestat decide to do in 1929?
8. What is so frightening to Lestat about Those Who Must Be Kept?
9. How does Gabrielle behave from the very beginning of the journey she goes on with Lestat?
10. How is Marius aided in the process of taking Those Who Must Be Kept out of Egypt?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on The Madness of Nicolas. In your essay, define (1) how Nicki's early philosophy conflict with the nature of vampires, (2) how resentment and anger shaped Nicki's attitudes before he became a vampire, (3) how the effects of his kidnapping trauma deepened his psychosis, and (4) how possessing the power of a vampire put him completely over the edge.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages as a Critique of THE VAMPIRE LESTAT. Discuss such things as style, vocabulary, historical references, and readability as they relate to the novel. End with a recommendation for others to read the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on The Obsession of Man with Immortality. The essay should focus on the search for the Fountain of Youth that has evolved into cosmetic surgery in the ages-old attempt to live forever. Use examples from The Vampire Lestat to show that immortality is not the happy condition humans imagine it to be.
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)