|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is happening in Paris while Lestat and Gabrielle are traveling?
2. What does Gabrielle think about Marius?
3. What has Lestat done in coming to New Orleans that is a first for vampires?
4. After drinking the blood from the burnt vampire, what does Marius feed on?
5. Seriously wounded, where does Lestat go to regain his strength?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the symbolic meaning of the loud booming sound of the heart of Marius?
2. What is so frightening to Lestat about Those Who Must Be Kept?
3. How do the riots start at Lestat's San Francisco rock concert?
4. What help does Marius receive in becoming the guardian of Those Who Must Be Kept?
5. Define the literary usage of the dream Lestat has.
6. When Lestat cannot locate Marius and Gabrielle takes off for deep Africa, how does the reader see Lestat's depression?
7. What admission does Marius make to Lestat?
8. What nearly disastrous thing does Lestat do in New Orleans?
9. Predictably, after being warned by Marius not to return to the chapel where the Mother and Father are kept, what does Lestat do?
10. When does Marius receive the most information about what happened to the old vampire in the tree?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on The Treasures of Marius. In your essay list the main rooms of Marius' mountainside palace and discuss the aesthetic quality of the art, music, plants, and animals. Identify the things you like best and give your reasons for those preferences.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the romance of vampire legend. In your essay use the points of (1) fatal attraction, (2) the desire for super powers, and (3) the usually rich and opulent surroundings of vampires.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on The Madness of Nicolas. In your essay, define (1) how Nicki's early philosophy conflict with the nature of vampires, (2) how resentment and anger shaped Nicki's attitudes before he became a vampire, (3) how the effects of his kidnapping trauma deepened his psychosis, and (4) how possessing the power of a vampire put him completely over the edge.
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)