|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Lestat planning to do in San Francisco?
2. Why does Lestat have to leave Marius house hurriedly?
3. What does Marius learn happened to the Mother and the Father that caused all vampires to burn?
4. What surprise package awaits Lestat in Cairo?
5. Where is Lestat's father who is begging him to come to him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What occurs in Lestat as his body becomes emaciated from lack of drinking blood?
2. How is Marius aided in the process of taking Those Who Must Be Kept out of Egypt?
3. How does the old vampire's prediction come true for Marius?
4. How does Gabrielle behave from the very beginning of the journey she goes on with Lestat?
5. How do the riots start at Lestat's San Francisco rock concert?
6. What nearly disastrous thing does Lestat do in New Orleans?
7. What help does Marius receive in becoming the guardian of Those Who Must Be Kept?
8. Having returned in 1984, what is Lestat about to do that has other vampires up in arms?
9. In what way is Marius different from Armand as Lestat raises his questions?
10. Why does Marius receive no information about the calamity that befell the old god of the Druids?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on The Obsession of Man with Immortality. The essay should focus on the search for the Fountain of Youth that has evolved into cosmetic surgery in the ages-old attempt to live forever. Use examples from The Vampire Lestat to show that immortality is not the happy condition humans imagine it to be.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on escapism in literature. (1) Define escapism. (2) Point out the benefits of escapism. (3) Apply your idea of escapism to THE VAMPIRE LESTAT.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on Fictional Monsters. Describe in your essay (1) vampires, (2) werewolves, (3) living mummies, and (4) zombies. Explain why these characters capture the imaginations of so many people. Select the one you prefer and defend your choice.
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)