|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who chooses Marius to be the new god?
2. How does Lestat react to Those Who Must Be Kept?
3. Who keeps Lestat informed about what is going on in France?
4. Where does Lestat explore after changing his clothes?
5. Who does Marius encounter when he is forty years old?
Short Essay Questions
1. As the vampires threatening Lestat begin to burst into flames, how is the question of what caused that resolved?
2. Why is Gabrielle's idea of freedom much different from Lestat's?
3. What special privilege is given Marius as he prepares to remove the ancient vampires?
4. Where does Marius begin the story of his life as he relates it to Lestat?
5. How do the riots start at Lestat's San Francisco rock concert?
6. what are the two major topics of interest to Lestat as he reads mail from Paris?
7. Predictably, after being warned by Marius not to return to the chapel where the Mother and Father are kept, what does Lestat do?
8. What help does Marius receive in becoming the guardian of Those Who Must Be Kept?
9. What is so frightening to Lestat about Those Who Must Be Kept?
10. After Armand pays Lestat a visit, what does Lestat decide to do in 1929?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages as a Critique of THE VAMPIRE LESTAT. Discuss such things as style, vocabulary, historical references, and readability as they relate to the novel. End with a recommendation for others to read the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on New Orleans as an Ideal Setting for vampire mythology. Points in the essay should include (1) the European flavor of the city, (2) the reputation of the city for sinfulness during Mardi Gras, and (3) the mysterious nature of the countryside.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on Fictional Monsters. Describe in your essay (1) vampires, (2) werewolves, (3) living mummies, and (4) zombies. Explain why these characters capture the imaginations of so many people. Select the one you prefer and defend your choice.
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)