|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens during the night at Marius' rented house?
2. What does Lestat dream about his family?
3. Why does Marius want to get Those Who Must Be Kept away from the Elder who has watched them for centuries?
4. Who pulls Lestat from the ground?
5. What is Louis' concern about the concert?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Gabrielle behave from the very beginning of the journey she goes on with Lestat?
2. In Alexandria, what does Marius learn about the beginnings of vampires and what happened to turn them all black and charred?
3. Having returned in 1984, what is Lestat about to do that has other vampires up in arms?
4. How do the riots start at Lestat's San Francisco rock concert?
5. What is the symbolic meaning of the loud booming sound of the heart of Marius?
6. Where does Marius begin the story of his life as he relates it to Lestat?
7. How does the old vampire's prediction come true for Marius?
8. How is it clear that Marius went looking for Lestat on purpose?
9. what are the two major topics of interest to Lestat as he reads mail from Paris?
10. Where does Lestat go after leaving Marius and how does he like his new surroundings?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on Good Use of Flashbacks in Literature. Your essay should describe the flashbacks that tell the stories of Armand, Marius, and Lestat. Discuss how Rice uses this method to explain the histories of the various characters and their contribution to the continuity of the story.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages as a Critique of THE VAMPIRE LESTAT. Discuss such things as style, vocabulary, historical references, and readability as they relate to the novel. End with a recommendation for others to read the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on Myths About Vampires Challenged in The Vampire Lestat. Your essay should incorporate the points that (1) vampires can be frightened off with garlic and crosses; (2) that vampires cannot enter into holy places; and (3) that vampires cannot travel over water. Give examples from the book to prove your arguments.
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)