|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Lestat want to go that Marius has forbidden?
2. After examining the house, what does Lestat do?
3. How did the evil spirit get into the bodies of the King and Queen?
4. What is Nicki's condition that causes everyone to keep a close eye on him?
5. What surprise package awaits Lestat in Cairo?
Short Essay Questions
1. What nearly disastrous thing does Lestat do in New Orleans?
2. In what way is Marius different from Armand as Lestat raises his questions?
3. Where does Lestat go after leaving Marius and how does he like his new surroundings?
4. How do the riots start at Lestat's San Francisco rock concert?
5. What special privilege is given Marius as he prepares to remove the ancient vampires?
6. What happens to Lestat after Marius saves him from being destroyed by Enkil?
7. What occurs in Lestat as his body becomes emaciated from lack of drinking blood?
8. When Lestat cannot locate Marius and Gabrielle takes off for deep Africa, how does the reader see Lestat's depression?
9. How does Marius let Lestat know that he has nothing to fear while he is a guest in his house?
10. Define the literary usage of the dream Lestat has.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on Good Use of Flashbacks in Literature. Your essay should describe the flashbacks that tell the stories of Armand, Marius, and Lestat. Discuss how Rice uses this method to explain the histories of the various characters and their contribution to the continuity of the story.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the romance of vampire legend. In your essay use the points of (1) fatal attraction, (2) the desire for super powers, and (3) the usually rich and opulent surroundings of vampires.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on The Obsession of Man with Immortality. The essay should focus on the search for the Fountain of Youth that has evolved into cosmetic surgery in the ages-old attempt to live forever. Use examples from The Vampire Lestat to show that immortality is not the happy condition humans imagine it to be.
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)