|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lestat think Those Who Must Be Kept are?
2. Why does Marius want to get Those Who Must Be Kept away from the Elder who has watched them for centuries?
3. After drinking the blood from the burnt vampire, what does Marius feed on?
4. Where is Lestat's father who is begging him to come to him?
5. What has Lestat been doing to upset the vampires?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Marius receive no information about the calamity that befell the old god of the Druids?
2. How does Marius let Lestat know that he has nothing to fear while he is a guest in his house?
3. After Armand pays Lestat a visit, what does Lestat decide to do in 1929?
4. what are the two major topics of interest to Lestat as he reads mail from Paris?
5. When Lestat cannot locate Marius and Gabrielle takes off for deep Africa, how does the reader see Lestat's depression?
6. How does Gabrielle behave from the very beginning of the journey she goes on with Lestat?
7. In Alexandria, what does Marius learn about the beginnings of vampires and what happened to turn them all black and charred?
8. As the vampires threatening Lestat begin to burst into flames, how is the question of what caused that resolved?
9. What happens to Lestat after Marius saves him from being destroyed by Enkil?
10. Why is Gabrielle's idea of freedom much different from Lestat's?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on Symbolism of Darkness and Sunlight in vampire lore. Discuss the symbolism of darkness and night as being associated with things evil and frightening. Include the idea that vampires are limited by the dark hours of the day. Moving to the image of the sun, discuss how the sun is generally associated with good. Include how sunlight eliminates the fear of unseen threats.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on New Orleans as an Ideal Setting for vampire mythology. Points in the essay should include (1) the European flavor of the city, (2) the reputation of the city for sinfulness during Mardi Gras, and (3) the mysterious nature of the countryside.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on The Madness of Nicolas. In your essay, define (1) how Nicki's early philosophy conflict with the nature of vampires, (2) how resentment and anger shaped Nicki's attitudes before he became a vampire, (3) how the effects of his kidnapping trauma deepened his psychosis, and (4) how possessing the power of a vampire put him completely over the edge.
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)