|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After seeing Nicki, where does Lestat go the next night?
2. Where does Armand take Lestat and Gabrielle?
3. Who enters the cathedral to bring them out?
4. What does Lestat begin to notice as he performs on stage every night?
5. What does Armand's story make Lestat think?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the bond between Lestat and Nicki eventually broken?
2. Describe the ability Armand has to absorb a great deal of information quickly.
3. How does Lestat come to know that Magnus had been looking for one like him for quite some time?
4. How does Armand's story affect Lestat and Gabrielle differently?
5. Describe how Lestat and Nicolas become friends.
6. What is the circumstance when Lestat and Gabrielle awaken in a crypt inside a church?
7. How does Gabrielle react to becoming a vampire?
8. What does Anne Rice use to let the reader know that something dire is going to happen to Lestat?
9. What is Lestat's argument against Armand's vampire ways?
10. What prepares Lestat for becoming an actor in Paris?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on The Obsession of Man with Immortality. The essay should focus on the search for the Fountain of Youth that has evolved into cosmetic surgery in the ages-old attempt to live forever. Use examples from The Vampire Lestat to show that immortality is not the happy condition humans imagine it to be.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on Symbolism of Darkness and Sunlight in vampire lore. Discuss the symbolism of darkness and night as being associated with things evil and frightening. Include the idea that vampires are limited by the dark hours of the day. Moving to the image of the sun, discuss how the sun is generally associated with good. Include how sunlight eliminates the fear of unseen threats.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on The Evolution of the Vampire from Count Dracula to Lestat. Discuss how the image of the vampire has changed from the caped monster capable of transmogrifying into a bat to the urbane fiend capable of going unnoticed among mortals. You may want to speculate on future evolution based on the Twilight series that has become so popular in the 21st century.
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)