|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Armand actually trying to do?
2. What happens as the vampire begins to drain Lestat's blood?
3. How does Lestat leave Armand's coven?
4. What lie does Armand tell the remaining members of his former coven?
5. What talent does Nicolas have that makes Lestat carried away with emotion?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why can Lestat not follow through with his plan to have Nicki take Gabrielle to Italy?
2. What is Nicki's idea about the repertoire of the theater now called Theater of the Vampires?
3. Explain the significance of Lestat's finding Armand at the mortals' ball.
4. How do the vampires pursuing Lestat and Gabrielle leave a message that they have kidnapped Nicolas?
5. Explain the length of time involved in the novel about Lestat.
6. What kind of person is the lawyer Roget to whom Lestat trusts his business?
7. What is the circumstance when Lestat and Gabrielle awaken in a crypt inside a church?
8. What is the circumstance that changes Armand into a vampire?
9. What is the dependence factor Lestat feels toward Magnus as he learns the old vampire is about to destroy himself?
10. How does Anne rice introduce the character of Armand?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages as a Critique of THE VAMPIRE LESTAT. Discuss such things as style, vocabulary, historical references, and readability as they relate to the novel. End with a recommendation for others to read the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on The Madness of Nicolas. In your essay, define (1) how Nicki's early philosophy conflict with the nature of vampires, (2) how resentment and anger shaped Nicki's attitudes before he became a vampire, (3) how the effects of his kidnapping trauma deepened his psychosis, and (4) how possessing the power of a vampire put him completely over the edge.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on Intimations of Homo-eroticism in The Vampire Lestat. Examples should include (1) the relationship of Lestat and Nicolas before they became vampires, (2) the relationship between Lestat and Louis, and (3) Lestat's desire to stay with Marius before he is sent away.
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)