|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the one person who is not happy to hear of Lestat's good fortune?
2. What does Armand want from Gabrielle and Lestat?
3. After Armand destroys his coven, what does he try to do?
4. Who does Lestat look up to help him with his finances?
5. Why does Lestat climb a wall?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of person is the lawyer Roget to whom Lestat trusts his business?
2. Explain the significance of Lestat's finding Armand at the mortals' ball.
3. In Alexandria, what does Marius learn about the beginnings of vampires and what happened to turn them all black and charred?
4. After Armand pays Lestat a visit, what does Lestat decide to do in 1929?
5. Why does Gabrielle stick around after Lestat receives the Stradivarius in Cairo?
6. How does Gabrielle behave from the very beginning of the journey she goes on with Lestat?
7. What is so frightening to Lestat about Those Who Must Be Kept?
8. How does Anne rice introduce the character of Armand?
9. Confronting Lestat, what is Armand's main objection to Lestat?
10. Why is it necessary for Lestat to make a quick getaway from his family home?
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on The Evolution of the Vampire from Count Dracula to Lestat. Discuss how the image of the vampire has changed from the caped monster capable of transmogrifying into a bat to the urbane fiend capable of going unnoticed among mortals. You may want to speculate on future evolution based on the Twilight series that has become so popular in the 21st century.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on The Treasures of Marius. In your essay list the main rooms of Marius' mountainside palace and discuss the aesthetic quality of the art, music, plants, and animals. Identify the things you like best and give your reasons for those preferences.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on escapism in literature. (1) Define escapism. (2) Point out the benefits of escapism. (3) Apply your idea of escapism to THE VAMPIRE LESTAT.
This section contains 1,742 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)