|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lestat go to find to try and help calm Nicki down?
2. Why does Gabrielle encourage Lestat to make friends with Nicolas?
3. Who made Armand a vampire?
4. What does Armand do without Lestat's permission?
5. What do the other vampires do that infuriates Lestat?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is it necessary for Lestat to make a quick getaway from his family home?
2. Describe how Lestat and Nicolas become friends.
3. Describe the ability Armand has to absorb a great deal of information quickly.
4. How do the vampires pursuing Lestat and Gabrielle leave a message that they have kidnapped Nicolas?
5. What is the dependence factor Lestat feels toward Magnus as he learns the old vampire is about to destroy himself?
6. Describe the rapture of Lestat as he becomes a vampire.
7. Why can Lestat not follow through with his plan to have Nicki take Gabrielle to Italy?
8. Confronting Lestat, what is Armand's main objection to Lestat?
9. What is Lestat's argument against Armand's vampire ways?
10. What is the circumstance when Lestat and Gabrielle awaken in a crypt inside a church?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on The Madness of Nicolas. In your essay, define (1) how Nicki's early philosophy conflict with the nature of vampires, (2) how resentment and anger shaped Nicki's attitudes before he became a vampire, (3) how the effects of his kidnapping trauma deepened his psychosis, and (4) how possessing the power of a vampire put him completely over the edge.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on The Mysterious Romance of Early Egypt. Discuss how appropriate a setting Early Egypt makes for the beginnings of vampires on earth. Include (1) the ancient age of the Egyptian civilization, (2) the mystic religions of Egypt and their emphasis on life after death, and (3) the belief that Pharaohs were gods incarnate. Make sure you relate how each of these conditions make the origin of vampires believable.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on New Orleans as an Ideal Setting for vampire mythology. Points in the essay should include (1) the European flavor of the city, (2) the reputation of the city for sinfulness during Mardi Gras, and (3) the mysterious nature of the countryside.
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)