|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Armand destroys his coven, what does he try to do?
2. What deep subjects do Lestat and Nicolas discuss?
3. What does Lestat find laid out for him in the tower?
4. What does Lestat defeat that makes him a local hero?
5. From where did Armand originate?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Lestat's argument against Armand's vampire ways?
2. Explain the length of time involved in the novel about Lestat.
3. Why can Lestat not follow through with his plan to have Nicki take Gabrielle to Italy?
4. How does Armand's story affect Lestat and Gabrielle differently?
5. How does Anne rice introduce the character of Armand?
6. What is the event that lets Nicolas know that Lestat has changed?
7. What are the reactions to Lestat's sudden ascent into wealth?
8. What is Nicki's idea about the repertoire of the theater now called Theater of the Vampires?
9. How is the bond between Lestat and Nicki eventually broken?
10. What is the circumstance when Lestat and Gabrielle awaken in a crypt inside a church?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on The Madness of Nicolas. In your essay, define (1) how Nicki's early philosophy conflict with the nature of vampires, (2) how resentment and anger shaped Nicki's attitudes before he became a vampire, (3) how the effects of his kidnapping trauma deepened his psychosis, and (4) how possessing the power of a vampire put him completely over the edge.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on why you think religious icons no longer deter vampires in modern vampire lore. Points should include (1) how early vampire stories were conceived during a time when the church was very strong; and (2) the way religion has changed in the 20th and 21st centuries.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on Fictional Monsters. Describe in your essay (1) vampires, (2) werewolves, (3) living mummies, and (4) zombies. Explain why these characters capture the imaginations of so many people. Select the one you prefer and defend your choice.
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)