|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do they go to sleep the night after the other vampires showed up?
2. Who goes to the theater to make excuses for Lestat's behavior?
3. Where do Lestat and Nicolas end up working?
4. What lie does Armand tell the remaining members of his former coven?
5. Where do Lestat and Armand go after the ball?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the bond between Lestat and Nicki eventually broken?
2. What prepares Lestat for becoming an actor in Paris?
3. What is Nicki's idea about the repertoire of the theater now called Theater of the Vampires?
4. Describe how Lestat gets into the kill.
5. How does Anne rice introduce the character of Armand?
6. What is Lestat's argument against Armand's vampire ways?
7. What does Anne Rice use to let the reader know that something dire is going to happen to Lestat?
8. What makes Lestat want to get Renaud and his troupe of actors out of Paris?
9. Where do Gabrielle and Lestat go in Paris to escape the vampires who continue to chase them?
10. Describe how Lestat and Nicolas become friends.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on why you think religious icons no longer deter vampires in modern vampire lore. Points should include (1) how early vampire stories were conceived during a time when the church was very strong; and (2) the way religion has changed in the 20th and 21st centuries.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on New Orleans as an Ideal Setting for vampire mythology. Points in the essay should include (1) the European flavor of the city, (2) the reputation of the city for sinfulness during Mardi Gras, and (3) the mysterious nature of the countryside.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on The Mysterious Romance of Early Egypt. Discuss how appropriate a setting Early Egypt makes for the beginnings of vampires on earth. Include (1) the ancient age of the Egyptian civilization, (2) the mystic religions of Egypt and their emphasis on life after death, and (3) the belief that Pharaohs were gods incarnate. Make sure you relate how each of these conditions make the origin of vampires believable.
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)