|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the older female vampire tell Armand?
2. What does Armand want from Gabrielle and Lestat?
3. What does Lestat want to do when he sees his dying mother?
4. What deep subjects do Lestat and Nicolas discuss?
5. Where does Lestat run into Armand again?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the length of time involved in the novel about Lestat.
2. Why does Gabrielle stick around after Lestat receives the Stradivarius in Cairo?
3. What is the circumstance that changes Armand into a vampire?
4. How do the riots start at Lestat's San Francisco rock concert?
5. Describe how Lestat gets into the kill.
6. What is the symbolic meaning of the loud booming sound of the heart of Marius?
7. How is the bond between Lestat and Nicki eventually broken?
8. How is it clear that Marius went looking for Lestat on purpose?
9. Describe the ability Armand has to absorb a great deal of information quickly.
10. How does Lestat come to know that Magnus had been looking for one like him for quite some time?
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on The Evolution of the Vampire from Count Dracula to Lestat. Discuss how the image of the vampire has changed from the caped monster capable of transmogrifying into a bat to the urbane fiend capable of going unnoticed among mortals. You may want to speculate on future evolution based on the Twilight series that has become so popular in the 21st century.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on The Mysterious Romance of Early Egypt. Discuss how appropriate a setting Early Egypt makes for the beginnings of vampires on earth. Include (1) the ancient age of the Egyptian civilization, (2) the mystic religions of Egypt and their emphasis on life after death, and (3) the belief that Pharaohs were gods incarnate. Make sure you relate how each of these conditions make the origin of vampires believable.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on The Obsession of Man with Immortality. The essay should focus on the search for the Fountain of Youth that has evolved into cosmetic surgery in the ages-old attempt to live forever. Use examples from The Vampire Lestat to show that immortality is not the happy condition humans imagine it to be.
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)