|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes the vampires to start dancing?
2. What do Lestat and Nicolas call that moment of drunkenness when everything makes sense?
3. What is it that makes Lestat uneasy watching Gabrielle?
4. What does Lestat begin to sense?
5. What news does Lestat receive about his mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Anne rice introduce the character of Armand?
2. Explain the significance of Lestat's finding Armand at the mortals' ball.
3. How do the vampires pursuing Lestat and Gabrielle leave a message that they have kidnapped Nicolas?
4. Why is it necessary for Lestat to make a quick getaway from his family home?
5. What is the circumstance that changes Armand into a vampire?
6. Describe how Lestat gets into the kill.
7. What are the reactions to Lestat's sudden ascent into wealth?
8. Explain the length of time involved in the novel about Lestat.
9. Describe the rapture of Lestat as he becomes a vampire.
10. Describe the ability Armand has to absorb a great deal of information quickly.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages as a Critique of THE VAMPIRE LESTAT. Discuss such things as style, vocabulary, historical references, and readability as they relate to the novel. End with a recommendation for others to read the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on Good Use of Flashbacks in Literature. Your essay should describe the flashbacks that tell the stories of Armand, Marius, and Lestat. Discuss how Rice uses this method to explain the histories of the various characters and their contribution to the continuity of the story.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on escapism in literature. (1) Define escapism. (2) Point out the benefits of escapism. (3) Apply your idea of escapism to THE VAMPIRE LESTAT.
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)