|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Gabrielle's condition at the beginning of the story?
2. Who made Armand a vampire?
3. Why do Lestat and Gabrielle remain inside the cathedral?
4. What news does Lestat receive about his mother?
5. Why does Gabrielle encourage Lestat to make friends with Nicolas?
Short Essay Questions
1. Confronting Lestat, what is Armand's main objection to Lestat?
2. Describe how Lestat and Nicolas become friends.
3. What is Nicki's idea about the repertoire of the theater now called Theater of the Vampires?
4. What prepares Lestat for becoming an actor in Paris?
5. Describe how Lestat gets into the kill.
6. How does Anne rice introduce the character of Armand?
7. How do the vampires pursuing Lestat and Gabrielle leave a message that they have kidnapped Nicolas?
8. What kind of person is the lawyer Roget to whom Lestat trusts his business?
9. What does Anne Rice use to let the reader know that something dire is going to happen to Lestat?
10. Explain the significance of Lestat's finding Armand at the mortals' ball.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on Theater as an Important Social Medium. Discuss how theater plays an important role in the novel from Renaud's House of Thesbians to the Theater of the Vampires to Lestat's dramatic rock concert. Discuss how theater influences audiences and helps shape public tastes and interests.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages as a Critique of THE VAMPIRE LESTAT. Discuss such things as style, vocabulary, historical references, and readability as they relate to the novel. End with a recommendation for others to read the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on The Vulnerability of Vampires. Discuss in your essay (1) the threat of humans who hunt down vampires, (2) the threat of other vampires, and (3) the threat of long exposure to the sun or being consumed by fire.
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)