|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After seeing Nicki, where does Lestat go the next night?
2. For whom does Lestat purchase gifts?
3. How does Lestat feel about the gold and jewels in the tower?
4. What is Lestat's family situation just before the French Revolution?
5. What news does Lestat receive about his mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the circumstance that changes Armand into a vampire?
2. Why can Lestat not follow through with his plan to have Nicki take Gabrielle to Italy?
3. How does Lestat come to know that Magnus had been looking for one like him for quite some time?
4. Describe how Lestat gets into the kill.
5. What makes Lestat want to get Renaud and his troupe of actors out of Paris?
6. Describe how Lestat and Nicolas become friends.
7. Confronting Lestat, what is Armand's main objection to Lestat?
8. What is Nicki's idea about the repertoire of the theater now called Theater of the Vampires?
9. Why is it necessary for Lestat to make a quick getaway from his family home?
10. Describe the rapture of Lestat as he becomes a vampire.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on The Treasures of Marius. In your essay list the main rooms of Marius' mountainside palace and discuss the aesthetic quality of the art, music, plants, and animals. Identify the things you like best and give your reasons for those preferences.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on Fictional Monsters. Describe in your essay (1) vampires, (2) werewolves, (3) living mummies, and (4) zombies. Explain why these characters capture the imaginations of so many people. Select the one you prefer and defend your choice.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on The Madness of Nicolas. In your essay, define (1) how Nicki's early philosophy conflict with the nature of vampires, (2) how resentment and anger shaped Nicki's attitudes before he became a vampire, (3) how the effects of his kidnapping trauma deepened his psychosis, and (4) how possessing the power of a vampire put him completely over the edge.
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)