|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Magnus depart?
2. What is The Vampire Lestat?
3. What future friend of Lestat's does he meet when a committee comes to reward his bravery?
4. Why does Lestat meet up with some of Armand's coven of vampires?
5. What news does Lestat receive about his mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the significance of Lestat's finding Armand at the mortals' ball.
2. How does Armand's story affect Lestat and Gabrielle differently?
3. How do the vampires pursuing Lestat and Gabrielle leave a message that they have kidnapped Nicolas?
4. What does Anne Rice use to let the reader know that something dire is going to happen to Lestat?
5. What kind of person is the lawyer Roget to whom Lestat trusts his business?
6. How is the bond between Lestat and Nicki eventually broken?
7. What is Lestat's argument against Armand's vampire ways?
8. How does Gabrielle react to becoming a vampire?
9. What is Nicki's idea about the repertoire of the theater now called Theater of the Vampires?
10. Explain the length of time involved in the novel about Lestat.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on The Vulnerability of Vampires. Discuss in your essay (1) the threat of humans who hunt down vampires, (2) the threat of other vampires, and (3) the threat of long exposure to the sun or being consumed by fire.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on The Obsession of Man with Immortality. The essay should focus on the search for the Fountain of Youth that has evolved into cosmetic surgery in the ages-old attempt to live forever. Use examples from The Vampire Lestat to show that immortality is not the happy condition humans imagine it to be.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on Symbolism of Darkness and Sunlight in vampire lore. Discuss the symbolism of darkness and night as being associated with things evil and frightening. Include the idea that vampires are limited by the dark hours of the day. Moving to the image of the sun, discuss how the sun is generally associated with good. Include how sunlight eliminates the fear of unseen threats.
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)