|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lestat defeat that makes him a local hero?
2. Where does Lestat run into Armand again?
3. How does Nicki face Lestat after the escape from Armand's coven?
4. Where do Lestat and Armand go after the ball?
5. What does Armand agree not to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the bond between Lestat and Nicki eventually broken?
2. What is the event that lets Nicolas know that Lestat has changed?
3. What is Nicki's idea about the repertoire of the theater now called Theater of the Vampires?
4. How does Gabrielle react to becoming a vampire?
5. What is the dependence factor Lestat feels toward Magnus as he learns the old vampire is about to destroy himself?
6. Describe how Lestat gets into the kill.
7. What are the reactions to Lestat's sudden ascent into wealth?
8. Describe the rapture of Lestat as he becomes a vampire.
9. Confronting Lestat, what is Armand's main objection to Lestat?
10. What makes Lestat want to get Renaud and his troupe of actors out of Paris?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on The Obsession of Man with Immortality. The essay should focus on the search for the Fountain of Youth that has evolved into cosmetic surgery in the ages-old attempt to live forever. Use examples from The Vampire Lestat to show that immortality is not the happy condition humans imagine it to be.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on Good Use of Flashbacks in Literature. Your essay should describe the flashbacks that tell the stories of Armand, Marius, and Lestat. Discuss how Rice uses this method to explain the histories of the various characters and their contribution to the continuity of the story.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on Intimations of Homo-eroticism in The Vampire Lestat. Examples should include (1) the relationship of Lestat and Nicolas before they became vampires, (2) the relationship between Lestat and Louis, and (3) Lestat's desire to stay with Marius before he is sent away.
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)