|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who goes to the theater to make excuses for Lestat's behavior?
2. Why does Lestat dictate his letters to Gabrielle in Italian?
3. Who enters the cathedral to bring them out?
4. What deep subjects do Lestat and Nicolas discuss?
5. Where do Lestat and Armand go after the ball?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the circumstance when Lestat and Gabrielle awaken in a crypt inside a church?
2. Why can Lestat not follow through with his plan to have Nicki take Gabrielle to Italy?
3. What is Lestat's argument against Armand's vampire ways?
4. Explain the significance of Lestat's finding Armand at the mortals' ball.
5. What is the circumstance that changes Armand into a vampire?
6. How does Armand's story affect Lestat and Gabrielle differently?
7. How is the bond between Lestat and Nicki eventually broken?
8. What are the reactions to Lestat's sudden ascent into wealth?
9. Why is it necessary for Lestat to make a quick getaway from his family home?
10. What does Anne Rice use to let the reader know that something dire is going to happen to Lestat?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on Fictional Monsters. Describe in your essay (1) vampires, (2) werewolves, (3) living mummies, and (4) zombies. Explain why these characters capture the imaginations of so many people. Select the one you prefer and defend your choice.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on escapism in literature. (1) Define escapism. (2) Point out the benefits of escapism. (3) Apply your idea of escapism to THE VAMPIRE LESTAT.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on Myths About Vampires Challenged in The Vampire Lestat. Your essay should incorporate the points that (1) vampires can be frightened off with garlic and crosses; (2) that vampires cannot enter into holy places; and (3) that vampires cannot travel over water. Give examples from the book to prove your arguments.
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)