|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For whom does Lestat purchase gifts?
2. What does Gabrielle say is her dying wish?
3. What does Armand do without Lestat's permission?
4. What is Gabrielle's condition at the beginning of the story?
5. What is Armand actually trying to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the symbolic meaning of the loud booming sound of the heart of Marius?
2. What is Lestat's argument against Armand's vampire ways?
3. How does Gabrielle react to becoming a vampire?
4. Where do Gabrielle and Lestat go in Paris to escape the vampires who continue to chase them?
5. What is the dependence factor Lestat feels toward Magnus as he learns the old vampire is about to destroy himself?
6. What special privilege is given Marius as he prepares to remove the ancient vampires?
7. What makes Lestat want to get Renaud and his troupe of actors out of Paris?
8. Why is it necessary for Lestat to make a quick getaway from his family home?
9. How do the riots start at Lestat's San Francisco rock concert?
10. Why does Gabrielle stick around after Lestat receives the Stradivarius in Cairo?
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on why you think religious icons no longer deter vampires in modern vampire lore. Points should include (1) how early vampire stories were conceived during a time when the church was very strong; and (2) the way religion has changed in the 20th and 21st centuries.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on Fictional Monsters. Describe in your essay (1) vampires, (2) werewolves, (3) living mummies, and (4) zombies. Explain why these characters capture the imaginations of so many people. Select the one you prefer and defend your choice.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on Good Versus Evil in The Vampire Lestat. Include in your essay how the lines blur somewhat with
Lestat's concern for mortals. Discuss the different ways becoming a vampire affects different people: (1) Gabrielle embraces her new existence; (2) Nicki goes completely insane; (3) Claudia becomes murderous.
This section contains 1,719 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)