|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the other vampires do that infuriates Lestat?
2. What do Gabrielle and Lestat hear as they wake up in the church?
3. What is Gabrielle's first night as a vampire like?
4. What lie does Armand tell the remaining members of his former coven?
5. What deep subjects do Lestat and Nicolas discuss?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the bond between Lestat and Nicki eventually broken?
2. Describe the rapture of Lestat as he becomes a vampire.
3. How does Gabrielle react to becoming a vampire?
4. Describe the ability Armand has to absorb a great deal of information quickly.
5. Explain the length of time involved in the novel about Lestat.
6. What is Nicki's idea about the repertoire of the theater now called Theater of the Vampires?
7. What is the circumstance that changes Armand into a vampire?
8. What makes Lestat want to get Renaud and his troupe of actors out of Paris?
9. What does Anne Rice use to let the reader know that something dire is going to happen to Lestat?
10. How does Armand's story affect Lestat and Gabrielle differently?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on how Anne Rice managed to transform vampire shtick into real literature. Mention her craft at (1) telling a compelling story, (2) her familiarity with locations and ability to describe them realistically, and (3) Rice's use of language to bring her tales to life.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on The Mysterious Romance of Early Egypt. Discuss how appropriate a setting Early Egypt makes for the beginnings of vampires on earth. Include (1) the ancient age of the Egyptian civilization, (2) the mystic religions of Egypt and their emphasis on life after death, and (3) the belief that Pharaohs were gods incarnate. Make sure you relate how each of these conditions make the origin of vampires believable.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on The Vulnerability of Vampires. Discuss in your essay (1) the threat of humans who hunt down vampires, (2) the threat of other vampires, and (3) the threat of long exposure to the sun or being consumed by fire.
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)