|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lestat go to find to try and help calm Nicki down?
2. What does Nicki declare about the theater?
3. What is Lestat's family situation just before the French Revolution?
4. What does Lestat want to do when he sees his dying mother?
5. Why do Lestat and Gabrielle remain inside the cathedral?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the event that lets Nicolas know that Lestat has changed?
2. How does Armand's story affect Lestat and Gabrielle differently?
3. How does Lestat immediately begin adjusting to being a vampire?
4. Why is it necessary for Lestat to make a quick getaway from his family home?
5. What prepares Lestat for becoming an actor in Paris?
6. How do the vampires pursuing Lestat and Gabrielle leave a message that they have kidnapped Nicolas?
7. Describe the rapture of Lestat as he becomes a vampire.
8. What is the circumstance that changes Armand into a vampire?
9. What is the circumstance when Lestat and Gabrielle awaken in a crypt inside a church?
10. Why can Lestat not follow through with his plan to have Nicki take Gabrielle to Italy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on Symbolism of Darkness and Sunlight in vampire lore. Discuss the symbolism of darkness and night as being associated with things evil and frightening. Include the idea that vampires are limited by the dark hours of the day. Moving to the image of the sun, discuss how the sun is generally associated with good. Include how sunlight eliminates the fear of unseen threats.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on The Obsession of Man with Immortality. The essay should focus on the search for the Fountain of Youth that has evolved into cosmetic surgery in the ages-old attempt to live forever. Use examples from The Vampire Lestat to show that immortality is not the happy condition humans imagine it to be.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on Myths About Vampires Challenged in The Vampire Lestat. Your essay should incorporate the points that (1) vampires can be frightened off with garlic and crosses; (2) that vampires cannot enter into holy places; and (3) that vampires cannot travel over water. Give examples from the book to prove your arguments.
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)