|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As a result of his capture, what has happened to Nicki?
2. Who enters the cathedral to bring them out?
3. Why does Lestat not kill himself in the fire when he realizes he is a vampire?
4. What do Gabrielle and Lestat hear as they wake up in the church?
5. What is Gabrielle's first night as a vampire like?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Anne Rice use to let the reader know that something dire is going to happen to Lestat?
2. How does Anne rice introduce the character of Armand?
3. Explain the significance of Lestat's finding Armand at the mortals' ball.
4. Describe how Lestat and Nicolas become friends.
5. How does Lestat immediately begin adjusting to being a vampire?
6. Explain the length of time involved in the novel about Lestat.
7. What kind of person is the lawyer Roget to whom Lestat trusts his business?
8. What are the reactions to Lestat's sudden ascent into wealth?
9. What is the dependence factor Lestat feels toward Magnus as he learns the old vampire is about to destroy himself?
10. What is the event that lets Nicolas know that Lestat has changed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on why you think religious icons no longer deter vampires in modern vampire lore. Points should include (1) how early vampire stories were conceived during a time when the church was very strong; and (2) the way religion has changed in the 20th and 21st centuries.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on how Anne Rice managed to transform vampire shtick into real literature. Mention her craft at (1) telling a compelling story, (2) her familiarity with locations and ability to describe them realistically, and (3) Rice's use of language to bring her tales to life.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on Myths About Vampires Challenged in The Vampire Lestat. Your essay should incorporate the points that (1) vampires can be frightened off with garlic and crosses; (2) that vampires cannot enter into holy places; and (3) that vampires cannot travel over water. Give examples from the book to prove your arguments.
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)