|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is The Vampire Lestat?
2. What is it that makes Lestat uneasy watching Gabrielle?
3. What is Gabrielle's first night as a vampire like?
4. What is it that Armand insists on but Lestat scorns?
5. What does Nicki declare about the theater?
Short Essay Questions
1. Confronting Lestat, what is Armand's main objection to Lestat?
2. What makes Lestat want to get Renaud and his troupe of actors out of Paris?
3. What is the event that lets Nicolas know that Lestat has changed?
4. Describe how Lestat gets into the kill.
5. Why is it necessary for Lestat to make a quick getaway from his family home?
6. What does Anne Rice use to let the reader know that something dire is going to happen to Lestat?
7. Explain the length of time involved in the novel about Lestat.
8. What kind of person is the lawyer Roget to whom Lestat trusts his business?
9. How does Lestat immediately begin adjusting to being a vampire?
10. What is Lestat's argument against Armand's vampire ways?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on Good Use of Flashbacks in Literature. Your essay should describe the flashbacks that tell the stories of Armand, Marius, and Lestat. Discuss how Rice uses this method to explain the histories of the various characters and their contribution to the continuity of the story.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on The Mysterious Romance of Early Egypt. Discuss how appropriate a setting Early Egypt makes for the beginnings of vampires on earth. Include (1) the ancient age of the Egyptian civilization, (2) the mystic religions of Egypt and their emphasis on life after death, and (3) the belief that Pharaohs were gods incarnate. Make sure you relate how each of these conditions make the origin of vampires believable.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on New Orleans as an Ideal Setting for vampire mythology. Points in the essay should include (1) the European flavor of the city, (2) the reputation of the city for sinfulness during Mardi Gras, and (3) the mysterious nature of the countryside.
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)