|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Lestat leave Armand's coven?
2. Where do they go to sleep the night after the other vampires showed up?
3. What talent does Nicolas have that makes Lestat carried away with emotion?
4. What does Armand agree not to do?
5. Where do Lestat and Gabrielle go to seek refuge from the vampires?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the circumstance when Lestat and Gabrielle awaken in a crypt inside a church?
2. What makes Lestat want to get Renaud and his troupe of actors out of Paris?
3. Describe how Lestat and Nicolas become friends.
4. What kind of person is the lawyer Roget to whom Lestat trusts his business?
5. How does Lestat come to know that Magnus had been looking for one like him for quite some time?
6. Why is it necessary for Lestat to make a quick getaway from his family home?
7. What does Anne Rice use to let the reader know that something dire is going to happen to Lestat?
8. In what way is Nicolas more philosophically deep than Lestat?
9. Why can Lestat not follow through with his plan to have Nicki take Gabrielle to Italy?
10. Where do Gabrielle and Lestat go in Paris to escape the vampires who continue to chase them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on how Anne Rice managed to transform vampire shtick into real literature. Mention her craft at (1) telling a compelling story, (2) her familiarity with locations and ability to describe them realistically, and (3) Rice's use of language to bring her tales to life.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on Intimations of Homo-eroticism in The Vampire Lestat. Examples should include (1) the relationship of Lestat and Nicolas before they became vampires, (2) the relationship between Lestat and Louis, and (3) Lestat's desire to stay with Marius before he is sent away.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on Theater as an Important Social Medium. Discuss how theater plays an important role in the novel from Renaud's House of Thesbians to the Theater of the Vampires to Lestat's dramatic rock concert. Discuss how theater influences audiences and helps shape public tastes and interests.
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)