Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For whom does Lestat purchase gifts?
2. What does Gabrielle say is her dying wish?
3. What does Armand do without Lestat's permission?
4. What is Gabrielle's condition at the beginning of the story?
5. What is Armand actually trying to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the symbolic meaning of the loud booming sound of the heart of Marius?
2. What is Lestat's argument against Armand's vampire ways?
3. How does Gabrielle react to becoming a vampire?
4. Where do Gabrielle and Lestat go in Paris to escape the vampires who continue to chase them?
5. What is the dependence factor Lestat feels toward Magnus as he learns the old vampire is about to destroy himself?
6. What special privilege is given Marius as he prepares to remove the ancient vampires?
7. What makes Lestat want to get Renaud and his troupe of actors out of Paris?
8. Why is it necessary for Lestat to make a quick getaway from his family home?
9. How do the riots start at Lestat's San Francisco rock concert?
10. Why does Gabrielle stick around after Lestat receives the Stradivarius in Cairo?
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on Symbolism of Darkness and Sunlight in vampire lore. Discuss the symbolism of darkness and night as being associated with things evil and frightening. Include the idea that vampires are limited by the dark hours of the day. Moving to the image of the sun, discuss how the sun is generally associated with good. Include how sunlight eliminates the fear of unseen threats.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the romance of vampire legend. In your essay use the points of (1) fatal attraction, (2) the desire for super powers, and (3) the usually rich and opulent surroundings of vampires.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on why you think religious icons no longer deter vampires in modern vampire lore. Points should include (1) how early vampire stories were conceived during a time when the church was very strong; and (2) the way religion has changed in the 20th and 21st centuries.
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)