Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Profane and a talking machine compare the stack of junk cars at the dump to?
2. Who guesses that Esther could be pregnant?
3. Who go to a party in Washington D.C. for the weekend in Chapter 14?
4. Why is Stencil afraid of going to Malta?
5. What does Rachel ask Benny Profane's help in procuring that he suggests she borrow from Winsome?
Essay Topic 1
V. is an enigmatic and famous character in this book. Explain the history of V. as you know it. When did the character first appear in the book? What culture seemingly created V.? How has the character changed throughout history? Why do you think Pynchon chose V. as a main character?
Essay Topic 2
Politics are also referred to in the book. Pynchon refers to the politics in the German colonization of Africa in 1922. In V., the author devotes an entire chapter to this. Do you think this political story is a vital part of the book? Why or why not? Explain. How else could Pynchon incorporate politics into the book? Also examine the use of politics in relationships.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the taboo of abortion that still existed at the time V was written. Compare and contrast views on abortion in America during the 1950s to current views in America today. What major changes have occurred concerning the social attitude towards abortion in both positive and negative ways?
This section contains 308 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)