|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the German woman with a fake eye that Mondaugen meets?
2. Who go to a party in Washington D.C. for the weekend in Chapter 14?
3. Where does Benny get a job?
4. Who are the people at the musician's home who are looking at a painting of a cheese danish and a tree?
5. Who is talking to Rachel in a bar and confesses feelings for Paola in Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Fausto changes his personality, what is the role that he assumes?
2. Why does Esther have trouble in her relationship with the plastic surgeon?
3. What is Godolphin's point of contention against V.'s argument for Vheissu?
4. Why is Rachel disappointed in Benny?
5. Why are the members of the Whole Sick Crew not bothered by police arrests?
6. How does V. appear in Chapter 9 and what does this say about her or her role?
7. What unfortunate accident occurs to Melanie L'Heuremandi?
8. How does Benny show signs of regression in Chapter 13?
9. What action does Mafia fail to take and what does it reveal about him and the Whole Sick Crew?
10. What does Kurt Mondaugen witness in 1922 while in Africa?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Rachel and Paola, two women that Benny Profane gets involved with. What are the main differences between them? Which made the better partner and why? What are strengths and weaknesses of each?
Essay Topic 2
Pynchon constantly brings up metaphors and imagery associated with the supernatural. Give 3 examples of how the supernatural is portrayed.
Essay Topic 3
Select three characters from any of the stories other than V. and project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for their lives. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, socialization, etc.
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)