|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is V's fear about the ballerina?
2. Who stops Winsome from killing himself at Rachel's apartment?
3. Who makes love in the garage in Chapter 12?
4. Why is Stencil afraid of going to Malta?
5. While Profane thinks he is settled in his job, what happens that changes everything in Chapter 13?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Benny is propositioned by Mafia, what does he do and what does it reveal about him?
2. Why is Rachel disappointed in Benny?
3. What action does Mafia fail to take and what does it reveal about him and the Whole Sick Crew?
4. Why does Paola masquerade as Ruby?
5. What unfortunate accident occurs to Melanie L'Heuremandi?
6. What is V.'s point of view regarding the siege in Africa in 1922?
7. What does Fausto Mijstral reveal in his letter to his daughter Paola?
8. What does Kurt Mondaugen witness in 1922 while in Africa?
9. What is Godolphin's point of contention against V.'s argument for Vheissu?
10. How does V. appear in Chapter 9 and what does this say about her or her role?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Rachel and Paola, two women that Benny Profane gets involved with. What are the main differences between them? Which made the better partner and why? What are strengths and weaknesses of each?
Essay Topic 2
Pynchon is known for paying homage to various authors and works of literature. Choose at least four references used in the book. Write at least 250 words on each reference. Also add your opinion as to why Pynchon chose that particular author or reference.
Essay Topic 3
V. is an enigmatic and famous character in this book. Explain the history of V. as you know it. When did the character first appear in the book? What culture seemingly created V.? How has the character changed throughout history? Why do you think Pynchon chose V. as a main character?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)