|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is "yo-yo-ing" practiced by the Whole Sick Crew in Chapter 10?
2. In his letter, what does Fausto Maijstral say about himself?
3. When Winsome is at Rachel's apartment, what does he say to Rachel?
4. While Esther tries to run to the plane, who gets in a fight at the airport?
5. Who tries to have sex with Paola but she refuses in Chapter 13?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Fausto Mijstral reveal in his letter to his daughter Paola?
2. Why is Stencil afraid to go to Malta?
3. What are some characteristics of V. that are revealed in Chapter 11 and what do they say about her?
4. How does V. appear in Chapter 9 and what does this say about her or her role?
5. When Fausto changes his personality, what is the role that he assumes?
6. Why is Rachel worried about Esther?
7. What does Kurt Mondaugen witness in 1922 while in Africa?
8. What is Paola's relationship with men in Chapter 8?
9. What unfortunate accident occurs to Melanie L'Heuremandi?
10. What is V.'s point of view regarding the siege in Africa in 1922?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses some important instances of flashbacks in the stories. Explain what a flashback is and cite at least two making sure to explain what makes each a flashback.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of the novel's title. Why do you think the author named the book V.? Now that you have read the book, how does that alter your understanding of the title? Are you intrigued to find a sequel? Why or why not? Cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Select three characters from any of the stories other than V. and project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for their lives. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, socialization, etc.
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)