|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Pig gets involved with an airline stewardess, what does he run out of?
2. When Winsome comes back to his apartment, who does he find his wife is talking to?
3. Who is talking to Rachel in a bar and confesses feelings for Paola in Chapter 10?
4. Who goes to the airport to stop Esther from leaving in Chapter 12?
5. Who does Stencil tell Profane loves him in Chapter 13?
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the motif of life-death-life. Identify at least two examples of the motifs about life-death-life in the book.
Essay Topic 2
Politics are also referred to in the book. Pynchon refers to the politics in the German colonization of Africa in 1922. In V., the author devotes an entire chapter to this. Do you think this political story is a vital part of the book? Why or why not? Explain. How else could Pynchon incorporate politics into the book? Also examine the use of politics in relationships.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the taboo of abortion that still existed at the time V was written. Compare and contrast views on abortion in America during the 1950s to current views in America today. What major changes have occurred concerning the social attitude towards abortion in both positive and negative ways?
This section contains 969 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)