|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Mondaugen was in Africa, what was the project he worked on?
2. What does Wijk fear that Abraham Morris will do?
3. What does Rachel tell Profane that he must convince Esther to do or not do?
4. While Esther tries to run to the plane, who gets in a fight at the airport?
5. When Kurt Mondaugen is stopped by a lieutenant in Chapter 9, what does the lieutenant think Mondaugen is up to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What action does Mafia fail to take and what does it reveal about him and the Whole Sick Crew?
2. How does V. appear in Chapter 9 and what does this say about her or her role?
3. Why is Rachel disappointed in Benny?
4. What does Kurt Mondaugen witness in 1922 while in Africa?
5. Why are the members of the Whole Sick Crew not bothered by police arrests?
6. Why is Rachel worried about Esther?
7. What is Godolphin's point of contention against V.'s argument for Vheissu?
8. What is Paola's relationship with men in Chapter 8?
9. What happens to V. in Paris?
10. When Fausto changes his personality, what is the role that he assumes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of women in Virginia in the1950s when the women in the stories are living their lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women may not have?
Essay Topic 2
Select three characters from any of the stories other than V. and project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for their lives. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, socialization, etc.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the taboo of abortion that still existed at the time V was written. Compare and contrast views on abortion in America during the 1950s to current views in America today. What major changes have occurred concerning the social attitude towards abortion in both positive and negative ways?
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)