|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is talking to Rachel in a bar and confesses feelings for Paola in Chapter 10?
2. When Mondaugen was in Africa, what was the project he worked on?
3. What does Shale Schoenmaker want to do that makes Esther angry and leave?
4. In his letter, what does Fausto Maijstral say about himself?
5. Who could not attend the party because of a fight with a partner in Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Fausto Mijstral reveal in his letter to his daughter Paola?
2. What is Godolphin's point of contention against V.'s argument for Vheissu?
3. Why does Paola masquerade as Ruby?
4. How is Benny Profane's "yo-yo" behavior different from that of the Whole Sick Crew?
5. When Benny is propositioned by Mafia, what does he do and what does it reveal about him?
6. What unfortunate accident occurs to Melanie L'Heuremandi?
7. Why does Esther have trouble in her relationship with the plastic surgeon?
8. What action does Mafia fail to take and what does it reveal about him and the Whole Sick Crew?
9. How does fate appear to intervene in the life of Benny Profane in Chapter 8?
10. Why is Rachel disappointed in Benny?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses some important instances of flashbacks in the stories. Explain what a flashback is and cite at least two making sure to explain what makes each a flashback.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Stencil; What is his role in the story? What is the author trying to accomplish by creating Stencil as a major character of the book?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)