|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the names of the synthetic human machines that Benny watches over?
2. Who is dressed as a woman and steals the transmissions in Chapter 9?
3. Where is Fausto Maijstral in Chapter 11?
4. Who does Rachel want to know is in her apartment?
5. Why is Rachel angry at Slab in Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Rachel angry with Slab?
2. When Fausto changes his personality, what is the role that he assumes?
3. What action does Mafia fail to take and what does it reveal about him and the Whole Sick Crew?
4. How does fate appear to intervene in the life of Benny Profane in Chapter 8?
5. Why does Esther have trouble in her relationship with the plastic surgeon?
6. What does Kurt Mondaugen witness in 1922 while in Africa?
7. What does Fausto Mijstral reveal in his letter to his daughter Paola?
8. How does V. appear in Chapter 9 and what does this say about her or her role?
9. Why does Paola masquerade as Ruby?
10. What are some characteristics of V. that are revealed in Chapter 11 and what do they say about her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is sexuality portrayed in V.? Which characters appear overtly sexual? Which characters are sexually appealing to others and why? What sexual taboos are broken and what issues are raised in relation to sex? Describe.
Essay Topic 2
Both Benny and Stencil are two of the most active characters.
Part 1) What is their relationship? How do they co-exist and how do they interact? What is similar about them and what is different?
Part 2) What are some events that Stencil had a direct influence upon? What are some events that Benny had a direct influence upon?
Part 3) Which character offers support to the Whole Sick Crew? Which one is stronger and why?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one theme in the novel. Identify at least two themes in the story and then cite an example to support each theme.
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)