|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Fausto Maijstral refer to himself after the birth of his child and the beginning of war?
2. When the Whole Sick Crew has a party, who does Winsome and Pig Bodine get in a ﬁght over?
3. Who is the musician and singer, has just ﬁnished his last set at a club in Chapter 10?
4. When Winsome is at Rachel's apartment, what does he say to Rachel?
5. Who travels to Malta in Chapter 13?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Paola masquerade as Ruby?
2. How does fate appear to intervene in the life of Benny Profane in Chapter 8?
3. What happens to V. in Paris?
4. What unfortunate accident occurs to Melanie L'Heuremandi?
5. Why is Rachel angry with Slab?
6. What are some characteristics of V. that are revealed in Chapter 11 and what do they say about her?
7. Why does Esther have trouble in her relationship with the plastic surgeon?
8. Why is Rachel worried about Esther?
9. What is V.'s point of view regarding the siege in Africa in 1922?
10. What does Kurt Mondaugen witness in 1922 while in Africa?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Benny Profane. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of women in Virginia in the1950s when the women in the stories are living their lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women may not have?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the taboo of abortion that still existed at the time V was written. Compare and contrast views on abortion in America during the 1950s to current views in America today. What major changes have occurred concerning the social attitude towards abortion in both positive and negative ways?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)