|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Fausto Maijstral in Chapter 11?
2. Who is suffering from stomach pains in Chapter 10?
3. How does Fausto Maijstral refer to himself after the birth of his child and the beginning of war?
4. What are the names of the synthetic human machines that Benny watches over?
5. Who stops Winsome from killing himself at Rachel's apartment?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does fate appear to intervene in the life of Benny Profane in Chapter 8?
2. Why is Fina leaving New York?
3. What happens to V. in Paris?
4. When Fausto changes his personality, what is the role that he assumes?
5. How does V. appear in Chapter 9 and what does this say about her or her role?
6. What is V.'s point of view regarding the siege in Africa in 1922?
7. What is Godolphin's point of contention against V.'s argument for Vheissu?
8. Why is Stencil afraid to go to Malta?
9. Why does Esther have trouble in her relationship with the plastic surgeon?
10. What is the big change Benny Profane makes in Chapter 13 regarding Rachel Owlglass?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of the novel's title. Why do you think the author named the book V.? Now that you have read the book, how does that alter your understanding of the title? Are you intrigued to find a sequel? Why or why not? Cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the motif of life-death-life. Identify at least two examples of the motifs about life-death-life in the book.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the taboo of abortion that still existed at the time V was written. Compare and contrast views on abortion in America during the 1950s to current views in America today. What major changes have occurred concerning the social attitude towards abortion in both positive and negative ways?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)