|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the expatriate that Mondaugen visits to give news of the war?
2. When Winsome is at Rachel's apartment, what does he say to Rachel?
3. What does Pig see by the antenna by the platform of the ship where Profane was working?
4. Who is the musician and singer, has just ﬁnished his last set at a club in Chapter 10?
5. When Kurt Mondaugen is stopped by a lieutenant in Chapter 9, what does the lieutenant think Mondaugen is up to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Fina leaving New York?
2. What is the big change Benny Profane makes in Chapter 13 regarding Rachel Owlglass?
3. What does Kurt Mondaugen witness in 1922 while in Africa?
4. What are some characteristics of V. that are revealed in Chapter 11 and what do they say about her?
5. What does Fausto Mijstral reveal in his letter to his daughter Paola?
6. Why is Rachel angry with Slab?
7. When Benny is propositioned by Mafia, what does he do and what does it reveal about him?
8. What happens to V. in Paris?
9. What is Paola's relationship with men in Chapter 8?
10. Why does Esther have trouble in her relationship with the plastic surgeon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one theme in the novel. Identify at least two themes in the story and then cite an example to support each theme.
Essay Topic 2
Both Benny and Stencil are two of the most active characters.
Part 1) What is their relationship? How do they co-exist and how do they interact? What is similar about them and what is different?
Part 2) What are some events that Stencil had a direct influence upon? What are some events that Benny had a direct influence upon?
Part 3) Which character offers support to the Whole Sick Crew? Which one is stronger and why?
Essay Topic 3
V. is an enigmatic and famous character in this book. Explain the history of V. as you know it. When did the character first appear in the book? What culture seemingly created V.? How has the character changed throughout history? Why do you think Pynchon chose V. as a main character?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)