|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In his letter, what does Fausto Maijstral say about himself?
2. What does Wijk fear that Abraham Morris will do?
3. When Foppl was in the army, what happened in 1904?
4. Who stops Winsome from killing himself at Rachel's apartment?
5. What is V's fear about the ballerina?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some characteristics of V. that are revealed in Chapter 11 and what do they say about her?
2. What does Fausto Mijstral reveal in his letter to his daughter Paola?
3. Why is Stencil afraid to go to Malta?
4. How does fate appear to intervene in the life of Benny Profane in Chapter 8?
5. When Benny is propositioned by Mafia, what does he do and what does it reveal about him?
6. What does Kurt Mondaugen witness in 1922 while in Africa?
7. Why are the members of the Whole Sick Crew not bothered by police arrests?
8. What unfortunate accident occurs to Melanie L'Heuremandi?
9. How does Benny show signs of regression in Chapter 13?
10. Why is Rachel worried about Esther?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Rachel and Paola, two women that Benny Profane gets involved with. What are the main differences between them? Which made the better partner and why? What are strengths and weaknesses of each?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Stencil; What is his role in the story? What is the author trying to accomplish by creating Stencil as a major character of the book?
Essay Topic 3
One of the main themes in the book is good versus evil. List at least four examples where the author employs this specific theme. Is the battle between good and evil obvious or subtle? What characters are involved in the battle? Do you think the right person won? Does good always triumph over evil? Explain.
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)