|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a strange habit of the seaman who Benny recognizes in the bar from the Navy?
2. Who tells V. about Vheissu?
3. What does Heroic Love require according to the record executive's wife?
4. What does Angel's sister offer to Profane that he rejects?
5. What apparently had Paola done by marrying Pappy Hod?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Waldetar.
2. What is Fairing's Parish and how did it get its name?
3. Why does Stencil go to the dentist and what does he discover?
4. What happens to the Birth of Venus painting in Chapter 7?
5. What does Rachel have a desire for that all the other members of the Whole Sick Crew appear to lack?
6. What happens when Benny goes to the ferry and meets Paola?
7. What is Herbert Stencil's purpose?
8. Describe Benny Profane in Chapter 1.
9. What is the disturbing discovery that Profane makes about Fina?
10. What does the reader learn about V. in Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of the novel's title. Why do you think the author named the book V.? Now that you have read the book, how does that alter your understanding of the title? Are you intrigued to find a sequel? Why or why not? Cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
How is sexuality portrayed in V.? Which characters appear overtly sexual? Which characters are sexually appealing to others and why? What sexual taboos are broken and what issues are raised in relation to sex? Describe.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two themes about loss in the stories. Then cite an example to support your answer.
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)