|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a strange habit of the seaman who Benny recognizes in the bar from the Navy?
2. What is the name of the record executive's wife?
3. What does the dentist show Stencil?
4. Who calls Benny's name on the loudspeaker at the bus station?
5. Who are the members of the Whole Sick Crew?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hugo Bongo-Shaftsbury talk to Mildred about on the train in Egypt?
2. Describe the Sailor's Grave.
3. Who does Benny meet on the subway and who do they introduce him to?
4. Why does Rachel go to see Dr. Schoenmaker's profession and why does it upset her?
5. Describe Lepsius.
6. What is Herbert Stencil's purpose?
7. Describe Victoria in Chapter 7.
8. What happens when Benny goes to the ferry and meets Paola?
9. Describe Rachel Owlglass.
10. Why does Profane leave his friends?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Stencil; What is his role in the story? What is the author trying to accomplish by creating Stencil as a major character of the book?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two themes about loss in the stories. Then cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses some important instances of flashbacks in the stories. Explain what a flashback is and cite at least two making sure to explain what makes each a flashback.
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)