|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On the last night before he leaves the Catskills, what does Benny see Rachel doing when he goes to talk to her?
2. What does Heroic Love require according to the record executive's wife?
3. What are Mantissa, Cesare, and the Gaucho about to do when Mantissa has a change of heart, forcing them all to flee?
4. Who is the world adventurer at the party that Rachel attends?
5. Where are rumors of a spy called the Gaucho going around?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Profane leave his friends?
2. What is Herbert Stencil's purpose?
3. How does V. appear in Chapter 9 and what does this say about her or her role?
4. How did Stencil get wounded in Chapter 5?
5. Why does Paola masquerade as Ruby?
6. Describe Benny Profane in Chapter 1.
7. How is Benny Profane's "yo-yo" behavior different from that of the Whole Sick Crew?
8. What appears to be a problem in Rachel and Benny's relationship?
9. What unfortunate accident occurs to Melanie L'Heuremandi?
10. Who does Benny meet on the subway and who do they introduce him to?
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Benny Profane. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one theme in the novel. Identify at least two themes in the story and then cite an example to support each theme.
Essay Topic 3
Pynchon is known for paying homage to various authors and works of literature. Choose at least four references used in the book. Write at least 250 words on each reference. Also add your opinion as to why Pynchon chose that particular author or reference.
This section contains 1,473 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)