|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What appalling act does Fina do that Profane abhors?
2. Who is Mildred?
3. Who are the Playboys?
4. Who does Rachel see sneaking out of the apartment in her coat?
5. When Benny chases after an alligator alone, what is the area that he enters?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the plan concocted by the two men outside the wine shop and what does Gaucho propose?
2. Why is Gaucho arrested?
3. Who are the two Englishmen at the cafe in Egypt that a waiter overhears talking about Victoria Wren?
4. How is the apathy of the Whole Sick Crew evident in Winsome's behavior?
5. What is Herbert Stencil's purpose?
6. What does Rachel have a desire for that all the other members of the Whole Sick Crew appear to lack?
7. What appears to be a problem in Rachel and Benny's relationship?
8. What is Fairing's Parish and how did it get its name?
9. What is Vheissu?
10. Why does Stencil go to the dentist and what does he discover?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 2
Pynchon constantly brings up metaphors and imagery associated with the supernatural. Give 3 examples of how the supernatural is portrayed.
Essay Topic 3
Select three characters from any of the stories other than V. and project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for their lives. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, socialization, etc.
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)