|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Sir Alistair Wren?
2. Which member of the Whole Sick Crew does Rachel sometimes date?
3. When Benny goes down to the ship's deck to warm up, what does he play with the night watchman?
4. Who is a patient of Dr. Schoenmaker that Rachel pays the bill for?
5. How do Benny and Rachel first meet?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Gaucho arrested?
2. Who are the two Englishmen at the cafe in Egypt that a waiter overhears talking about Victoria Wren?
3. Why does Profane leave his friends?
4. How does Dr. Schoenmaker view Esther in Chapter 4?
5. Describe Lepsius.
6. Describe the Sailor's Grave.
7. What is Benny's new job at the end of Chapter 1 and how does he get it?
8. What appears to be a problem in Rachel and Benny's relationship?
9. How did Stencil get wounded in Chapter 5?
10. What happens to the Birth of Venus painting in Chapter 7?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses some important instances of flashbacks in the stories. Explain what a flashback is and cite at least two making sure to explain what makes each a flashback.
Essay Topic 2
V. is an enigmatic and famous character in this book. Explain the history of V. as you know it. When did the character first appear in the book? What culture seemingly created V.? How has the character changed throughout history? Why do you think Pynchon chose V. as a main character?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the taboo of abortion that still existed at the time V was written. Compare and contrast views on abortion in America during the 1950s to current views in America today. What major changes have occurred concerning the social attitude towards abortion in both positive and negative ways?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)