|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Rachel see sneaking out of the apartment in her coat?
2. How does Yusef the anarchist gain access at the consulate party in order to gain information about the British?
3. Who does Evan Godolphin go to visit in April 1899?
4. When Profane stays at Pig's apartment, what does he wake up to see one night?
5. When the police arrive at the bar, where do Profane, Pig and Paola flee to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Vheissu?
2. How did Stencil get wounded in Chapter 5?
3. What appears to be a problem in Rachel and Benny's relationship?
4. What does Rachel have a desire for that all the other members of the Whole Sick Crew appear to lack?
5. What is Benny's new job at the end of Chapter 1 and how does he get it?
6. What is the urban legend that Benny Profane actually does?
7. Why is Gaucho arrested?
8. Who are the two Englishmen at the cafe in Egypt that a waiter overhears talking about Victoria Wren?
9. What is the plan concocted by the two men outside the wine shop and what does Gaucho propose?
10. What is Fairing's Parish and how did it get its name?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Select three characters from any of the stories other than V. and project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for their lives. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, socialization, etc.
Essay Topic 2
One of the main themes in the book is good versus evil. List at least four examples where the author employs this specific theme. Is the battle between good and evil obvious or subtle? What characters are involved in the battle? Do you think the right person won? Does good always triumph over evil? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the motif of life-death-life. Identify at least two examples of the motifs about life-death-life in the book.
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)