|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Benny and Rachel first meet?
2. Who tells V. about Vheissu?
3. Where does Waldetar work as a conductor?
4. Who is Mildred?
5. In a cafe in Egypt, what does the waiter P. Aieul hear two Englishmen talk about?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Victoria in Chapter 7.
2. What does Hugo Bongo-Shaftsbury talk to Mildred about on the train in Egypt?
3. Describe Waldetar.
4. How does Dr. Schoenmaker view Esther in Chapter 4?
5. What is the urban legend that Benny Profane actually does?
6. Why is Gaucho arrested?
7. Why does Profane leave his friends?
8. Why does Stencil go to the dentist and what does he discover?
9. What happens when Benny goes to the ferry and meets Paola?
10. Describe Rachel Owlglass.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Both Benny and Stencil are two of the most active characters.
Part 1) What is their relationship? How do they co-exist and how do they interact? What is similar about them and what is different?
Part 2) What are some events that Stencil had a direct influence upon? What are some events that Benny had a direct influence upon?
Part 3) Which character offers support to the Whole Sick Crew? Which one is stronger and why?
Essay Topic 2
V. is an enigmatic and famous character in this book. Explain the history of V. as you know it. When did the character first appear in the book? What culture seemingly created V.? How has the character changed throughout history? Why do you think Pynchon chose V. as a main character?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of the novel's title. Why do you think the author named the book V.? Now that you have read the book, how does that alter your understanding of the title? Are you intrigued to find a sequel? Why or why not? Cite examples to support your answer.
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)