|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a strange habit of the seaman who Benny recognizes in the bar from the Navy?
2. Who tells V. about Vheissu?
3. When the police arrive at the bar, where do Profane, Pig and Paola flee to?
4. Who are the Playboys?
5. Who does Rachel live with in her apartment?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hugo Bongo-Shaftsbury talk to Mildred about on the train in Egypt?
2. What is Fairing's Parish and how did it get its name?
3. How did Stencil get wounded in Chapter 5?
4. What is Vheissu?
5. Describe Waldetar.
6. What is Benny's new job at the end of Chapter 1 and how does he get it?
7. Why does Profane leave his friends?
8. What is the urban legend that Benny Profane actually does?
9. What does the reader learn about V. in Chapter 3?
10. Describe Victoria in Chapter 7.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Both Benny and Stencil are two of the most active characters.
Part 1) What is their relationship? How do they co-exist and how do they interact? What is similar about them and what is different?
Part 2) What are some events that Stencil had a direct influence upon? What are some events that Benny had a direct influence upon?
Part 3) Which character offers support to the Whole Sick Crew? Which one is stronger and why?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the taboo of abortion that still existed at the time V was written. Compare and contrast views on abortion in America during the 1950s to current views in America today. What major changes have occurred concerning the social attitude towards abortion in both positive and negative ways?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one theme in the novel. Identify at least two themes in the story and then cite an example to support each theme.
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)