Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the Whole Sick Crew listen to at a jazz bar in Chapter 2?
2. What is the name of the pilot who needed facial reconstruction?
3. What are Mantissa, Cesare, and the Gaucho about to do when Mantissa has a change of heart, forcing them all to flee?
4. What are the names of the two men who are drinking in front of a wine shop in Chapter 7?
5. When Benny chases after an alligator alone, what is the area that he enters?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Fairing's Parish and how did it get its name?
2. Who does Benny meet on the subway and who do they introduce him to?
3. What is Paola's relationship with men in Chapter 8?
4. Why does Esther fall in love with her plastic surgeon?
5. Why is Rachel worried about Esther?
6. When Benny is propositioned by Mafia, what does he do and what does it reveal about him?
7. Why does Stencil go to the dentist and what does he discover?
8. Why is Gaucho arrested?
9. How did Stencil get wounded in Chapter 5?
10. What does the reader learn about V. in Chapter 3?
The author uses more than one theme in the novel. Identify at least two themes in the story and then cite an example to support each theme.
Create a brief character study of Benny Profane. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point in his life?
Both Benny and Stencil are two of the most active characters.
Part 1) What is their relationship? How do they co-exist and how do they interact? What is similar about them and what is different?
Part 2) What are some events that Stencil had a direct influence upon? What are some events that Benny had a direct influence upon?
Part 3) Which character offers support to the Whole Sick Crew? Which one is stronger and why?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)