|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which member of the Whole Sick Crew does Rachel sometimes date?
2. In a cafe in Egypt, what does the waiter P. Aieul hear two Englishmen talk about?
3. What does Evan Godolphin think of Vheissu?
4. When Benny goes down to the ship's deck to warm up, what does he play with the night watchman?
5. Who is the world adventurer looking for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the disturbing discovery that Profane makes about Fina?
2. What is the plan concocted by the two men outside the wine shop and what does Gaucho propose?
3. What is Fairing's Parish and how did it get its name?
4. How did Stencil get wounded in Chapter 5?
5. Who are the two Englishmen at the cafe in Egypt that a waiter overhears talking about Victoria Wren?
6. Why does Profane leave his friends?
7. Who does Benny meet on the subway and who do they introduce him to?
8. Describe Benny Profane in Chapter 1.
9. Who is Morris Teflon and what is his role in Chapter 1?
10. How does Dr. Schoenmaker view Esther in Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pynchon is known for paying homage to various authors and works of literature. Choose at least four references used in the book. Write at least 250 words on each reference. Also add your opinion as to why Pynchon chose that particular author or reference.
Essay Topic 2
Select three characters from any of the stories other than V. and project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for their lives. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, socialization, etc.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Rachel and Paola, two women that Benny Profane gets involved with. What are the main differences between them? Which made the better partner and why? What are strengths and weaknesses of each?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)