Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the Whole Sick Crew listen to at a jazz bar in Chapter 2?
2. What is the name of the pilot who needed facial reconstruction?
3. What are Mantissa, Cesare, and the Gaucho about to do when Mantissa has a change of heart, forcing them all to flee?
4. What are the names of the two men who are drinking in front of a wine shop in Chapter 7?
5. When Benny chases after an alligator alone, what is the area that he enters?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Fairing's Parish and how did it get its name?
2. Who does Benny meet on the subway and who do they introduce him to?
3. What is Paola's relationship with men in Chapter 8?
4. Why does Esther fall in love with her plastic surgeon?
5. Why is Rachel worried about Esther?
6. When Benny is propositioned by Mafia, what does he do and what does it reveal about him?
7. Why does Stencil go to the dentist and what does he discover?
8. Why is Gaucho arrested?
9. How did Stencil get wounded in Chapter 5?
10. What does the reader learn about V. in Chapter 3?
Essay Topic 1
The author uses some important instances of flashbacks in the stories. Explain what a flashback is and cite at least two making sure to explain what makes each a flashback.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Stencil; What is his role in the story? What is the author trying to accomplish by creating Stencil as a major character of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Politics are also referred to in the book. Pynchon refers to the politics in the German colonization of Africa in 1922. In V., the author devotes an entire chapter to this. Do you think this political story is a vital part of the book? Why or why not? Explain. How else could Pynchon incorporate politics into the book? Also examine the use of politics in relationships.
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)