|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is a patient of Dr. Schoenmaker that Rachel pays the bill for?
2. What appalling act does Fina do that Profane abhors?
3. How do Benny and Rachel first meet?
4. What does Evan Godolphin think of Vheissu?
5. When Evan arrives at his father's door, what does he find?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Paola's relationship with men in Chapter 8?
2. Who does Benny meet on the subway and who do they introduce him to?
3. What is the big change Benny Profane makes in Chapter 13 regarding Rachel Owlglass?
4. Why does Rachel go to see Dr. Schoenmaker's profession and why does it upset her?
5. What is the urban legend that Benny Profane actually does?
6. When Fausto changes his personality, what is the role that he assumes?
7. What is V.'s point of view regarding the siege in Africa in 1922?
8. Describe Victoria in Chapter 7.
9. What is Godolphin's point of contention against V.'s argument for Vheissu?
10. Why is Stencil afraid to go to Malta?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pynchon constantly brings up metaphors and imagery associated with the supernatural. Give 3 examples of how the supernatural is portrayed.
Essay Topic 2
V. is an enigmatic and famous character in this book. Explain the history of V. as you know it. When did the character first appear in the book? What culture seemingly created V.? How has the character changed throughout history? Why do you think Pynchon chose V. as a main character?
Essay Topic 3
Pynchon is known for paying homage to various authors and works of literature. Choose at least four references used in the book. Write at least 250 words on each reference. Also add your opinion as to why Pynchon chose that particular author or reference.
This section contains 1,471 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)