|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the Whole Sick Crew listen to at a jazz bar in Chapter 2?
2. When Evan arrives at his father's door, what does he find?
3. What does Angel do for a living?
4. Who are the Playboys?
5. What appalling act does Fina do that Profane abhors?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Herbert Stencil's purpose?
2. How is the apathy of the Whole Sick Crew evident in Winsome's behavior?
3. How does Dr. Schoenmaker view Esther in Chapter 4?
4. Describe Rachel Owlglass.
5. What is Fairing's Parish and how did it get its name?
6. What happens when Benny goes to the ferry and meets Paola?
7. What is Vheissu?
8. Why is Gaucho arrested?
9. Describe the Sailor's Grave.
10. What does Hugo Bongo-Shaftsbury talk to Mildred about on the train in Egypt?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Both Benny and Stencil are two of the most active characters.
Part 1) What is their relationship? How do they co-exist and how do they interact? What is similar about them and what is different?
Part 2) What are some events that Stencil had a direct influence upon? What are some events that Benny had a direct influence upon?
Part 3) Which character offers support to the Whole Sick Crew? Which one is stronger and why?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of women in Virginia in the1950s when the women in the stories are living their lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women may not have?
Essay Topic 3
V. is an enigmatic and famous character in this book. Explain the history of V. as you know it. When did the character first appear in the book? What culture seemingly created V.? How has the character changed throughout history? Why do you think Pynchon chose V. as a main character?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)