|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Alice?
2. Who are the Playboys?
3. Who does Rachel live with in her apartment?
4. Where does Stencil link V. to a conspiracy?
5. What does Angel find in the clubhouse that makes him furious?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the plan concocted by the two men outside the wine shop and what does Gaucho propose?
2. What is Vheissu?
3. Describe Waldetar.
4. What does the reader learn about V. in Chapter 3?
5. What is Fairing's Parish and how did it get its name?
6. What does Hugo Bongo-Shaftsbury talk to Mildred about on the train in Egypt?
7. Describe Victoria in Chapter 7.
8. Who does Benny meet on the subway and who do they introduce him to?
9. Why is Gaucho arrested?
10. Who is Morris Teflon and what is his role in Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pynchon constantly brings up metaphors and imagery associated with the supernatural. Give 3 examples of how the supernatural is portrayed.
Essay Topic 2
V. is an enigmatic and famous character in this book. Explain the history of V. as you know it. When did the character first appear in the book? What culture seemingly created V.? How has the character changed throughout history? Why do you think Pynchon chose V. as a main character?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Rachel and Paola, two women that Benny Profane gets involved with. What are the main differences between them? Which made the better partner and why? What are strengths and weaknesses of each?
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)