|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rachel do that Benny is afraid of?
2. On the last night before he leaves the Catskills, what does Benny see Rachel doing when he goes to talk to her?
3. Who is Rachel Owlglass?
4. What are the names of the two men who are drinking in front of a wine shop in Chapter 7?
5. Who does Rachel live with in her apartment?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Fina leaving New York?
2. How does Dr. Schoenmaker view Esther in Chapter 4?
3. How does V. appear in Chapter 9 and what does this say about her or her role?
4. What is the urban legend that Benny Profane actually does?
5. What does the reader learn about V. in Chapter 3?
6. What is the disturbing discovery that Profane makes about Fina?
7. Who does Benny meet on the subway and who do they introduce him to?
8. What does Stencil learn about the origin of his quest?
9. What does Rachel have a desire for that all the other members of the Whole Sick Crew appear to lack?
10. Why is Rachel worried about Esther?
Essay Topic 1
Pynchon constantly brings up metaphors and imagery associated with the supernatural. Give 3 examples of how the supernatural is portrayed.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of women in Virginia in the1950s when the women in the stories are living their lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women may not have?
Essay Topic 3
How is sexuality portrayed in V.? Which characters appear overtly sexual? Which characters are sexually appealing to others and why? What sexual taboos are broken and what issues are raised in relation to sex? Describe.
This section contains 1,451 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)