|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Benny chases after an alligator alone, what is the area that he enters?
2. Who did Stencil meet that talked to him about the sewers and the rat Veronica?
3. Who is Fina?
4. What is the name of the owner of the bar in Norfolk, Virginia?
5. What happens during "suck hour" at the bar?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Lepsius.
2. Describe Benny Profane in Chapter 1.
3. What appears to be a problem in Rachel and Benny's relationship?
4. How does Dr. Schoenmaker view Esther in Chapter 4?
5. Who is Morris Teflon and what is his role in Chapter 1?
6. Who does Benny meet on the subway and who do they introduce him to?
7. Why does Esther fall in love with her plastic surgeon?
8. Describe the Sailor's Grave.
9. What is Benny's new job at the end of Chapter 1 and how does he get it?
10. Describe Rachel Owlglass.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is sexuality portrayed in V.? Which characters appear overtly sexual? Which characters are sexually appealing to others and why? What sexual taboos are broken and what issues are raised in relation to sex? Describe.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses some important instances of flashbacks in the stories. Explain what a flashback is and cite at least two making sure to explain what makes each a flashback.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the motif of life-death-life. Identify at least two examples of the motifs about life-death-life in the book.
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)