|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the owner of the bar in Norfolk, Virginia?
2. What is V.'s strange reaction to the riots at the embassy that Evan notices and seems to understand?
3. How does Yusef the anarchist gain access at the consulate party in order to gain information about the British?
4. Who are the Playboys?
5. What is the name of the barmaid who brings Benny Profane a drink at the tavern in Virginia?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Fairing's Parish and how did it get its name?
2. Describe Lepsius.
3. Describe Rachel Owlglass.
4. What does Hugo Bongo-Shaftsbury talk to Mildred about on the train in Egypt?
5. Who are the two Englishmen at the cafe in Egypt that a waiter overhears talking about Victoria Wren?
6. Why does Profane leave his friends?
7. What does Rachel have a desire for that all the other members of the Whole Sick Crew appear to lack?
8. What is the urban legend that Benny Profane actually does?
9. Describe Victoria in Chapter 7.
10. Who does Benny meet on the subway and who do they introduce him to?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Select three characters from any of the stories other than V. and project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for their lives. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, socialization, etc.
Essay Topic 2
Describe some of the settings for the stories. What is the overall setting? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did the author choose to use these places in the stories?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two themes about loss in the stories. Then cite an example to support your answer.
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)