|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What appalling act does Fina do that Profane abhors?
2. Who does Angel hit in the clubhouse?
3. What does Angel find in the clubhouse that makes him furious?
4. When Captain Hugh leaves Victoria's room, who does he see in a florist shop outside?
5. Why does Profane leave Angel and the rest of the crew?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Stencil go to the dentist and what does he discover?
2. What is the disturbing discovery that Profane makes about Fina?
3. Describe Rachel Owlglass.
4. How is the apathy of the Whole Sick Crew evident in Winsome's behavior?
5. Why does Esther fall in love with her plastic surgeon?
6. Why does Rachel go to see Dr. Schoenmaker's profession and why does it upset her?
7. What is the plan concocted by the two men outside the wine shop and what does Gaucho propose?
8. How did Stencil get wounded in Chapter 5?
9. What appears to be a problem in Rachel and Benny's relationship?
10. Who does Benny meet on the subway and who do they introduce him to?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is sexuality portrayed in V.? Which characters appear overtly sexual? Which characters are sexually appealing to others and why? What sexual taboos are broken and what issues are raised in relation to sex? Describe.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Stencil; What is his role in the story? What is the author trying to accomplish by creating Stencil as a major character of the book?
Essay Topic 3
V. is an enigmatic and famous character in this book. Explain the history of V. as you know it. When did the character first appear in the book? What culture seemingly created V.? How has the character changed throughout history? Why do you think Pynchon chose V. as a main character?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)