|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells V. about Vheissu?
2. What is a strange habit of the seaman who Benny recognizes in the bar from the Navy?
3. How does Yusef the anarchist gain access at the consulate party in order to gain information about the British?
4. What apparently had Paola done by marrying Pappy Hod?
5. How and where was Stencil shot?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Lepsius.
2. What is the plan concocted by the two men outside the wine shop and what does Gaucho propose?
3. What does the reader learn about V. in Chapter 3?
4. How did Stencil get wounded in Chapter 5?
5. Who is Morris Teflon and what is his role in Chapter 1?
6. What is Herbert Stencil's purpose?
7. Who are the two Englishmen at the cafe in Egypt that a waiter overhears talking about Victoria Wren?
8. How does Dr. Schoenmaker view Esther in Chapter 4?
9. Describe Rachel Owlglass.
10. Describe Benny Profane in Chapter 1.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the motif of life-death-life. Identify at least two examples of the motifs about life-death-life in the book.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Rachel and Paola, two women that Benny Profane gets involved with. What are the main differences between them? Which made the better partner and why? What are strengths and weaknesses of each?
Essay Topic 3
Pynchon is known for paying homage to various authors and works of literature. Choose at least four references used in the book. Write at least 250 words on each reference. Also add your opinion as to why Pynchon chose that particular author or reference.
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)