|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who calls Benny's name on the loudspeaker at the bus station?
2. Who does the Whole Sick Crew listen to at a jazz bar in Chapter 2?
3. What does Rachel say that Stencil wrote in his note?
4. What is the name of the pilot who needed facial reconstruction?
5. Who does Waldetar see crying?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the last incarnation of V. in the book?
2. What does the reader learn about V. in Chapter 3?
3. Who is Morris Teflon and what is his role in Chapter 1?
4. Who does Benny meet on the subway and who do they introduce him to?
5. Why does Esther have trouble in her relationship with the plastic surgeon?
6. Why is the legend of Mara significant?
7. Describe Victoria in Chapter 7.
8. Why is Fina leaving New York?
9. What happens to V. in Paris?
10. What does Paola promise Pappy Hod?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one theme in the novel. Identify at least two themes in the story and then cite an example to support each theme.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of women in Virginia in the1950s when the women in the stories are living their lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women may not have?
Essay Topic 3
One of the main themes in the book is good versus evil. List at least four examples where the author employs this specific theme. Is the battle between good and evil obvious or subtle? What characters are involved in the battle? Do you think the right person won? Does good always triumph over evil? Explain.
This section contains 1,491 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)