|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Goodfellow?
2. What does Rachel Owlglass do for a living in New York City?
3. When Evan arrives at his father's door, what does he find?
4. When Profane stays at Pig's apartment, what does he wake up to see one night?
5. What happens during "suck hour" at the bar?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Benny meet on the subway and who do they introduce him to?
2. Describe Benny Profane in Chapter 1.
3. What happens when Benny goes to the ferry and meets Paola?
4. Describe Victoria in Chapter 7.
5. What does Rachel have a desire for that all the other members of the Whole Sick Crew appear to lack?
6. Describe Waldetar.
7. Why does Rachel go to see Dr. Schoenmaker's profession and why does it upset her?
8. Why does Stencil go to the dentist and what does he discover?
9. Who are the two Englishmen at the cafe in Egypt that a waiter overhears talking about Victoria Wren?
10. What does Hugo Bongo-Shaftsbury talk to Mildred about on the train in Egypt?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of women in Virginia in the1950s when the women in the stories are living their lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women may not have?
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Benny Profane. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one theme in the novel. Identify at least two themes in the story and then cite an example to support each theme.
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)