|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Mildred?
2. Who is Rachel Owlglass?
3. What does Angel find in the clubhouse that makes him furious?
4. What is Lepsius wearing at the party?
5. By his apparent lack of interest in other women, what does Profane reveal?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are the two Englishmen at the cafe in Egypt that a waiter overhears talking about Victoria Wren?
2. Who does Benny meet on the subway and who do they introduce him to?
3. What happens when Benny goes to the ferry and meets Paola?
4. What is Fairing's Parish and how did it get its name?
5. Who is Morris Teflon and what is his role in Chapter 1?
6. Describe Rachel Owlglass.
7. What does Hugo Bongo-Shaftsbury talk to Mildred about on the train in Egypt?
8. What is Vheissu?
9. Describe Victoria in Chapter 7.
10. How does Dr. Schoenmaker view Esther in Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Rachel and Paola, two women that Benny Profane gets involved with. What are the main differences between them? Which made the better partner and why? What are strengths and weaknesses of each?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of women in Virginia in the1950s when the women in the stories are living their lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women may not have?
Essay Topic 3
Pynchon constantly brings up metaphors and imagery associated with the supernatural. Give 3 examples of how the supernatural is portrayed.
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)