|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Lepsius wearing at the party?
2. Who is Goodfellow?
3. What are the two men planning to do that a third man called Gaucho disagrees with?
4. Where does Benny get an interview?
5. What is Vheissu?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Victoria in Chapter 7.
2. What does Hugo Bongo-Shaftsbury talk to Mildred about on the train in Egypt?
3. Why does Profane leave his friends?
4. How does Dr. Schoenmaker view Esther in Chapter 4?
5. Describe Rachel Owlglass.
6. Why does Stencil go to the dentist and what does he discover?
7. What happens when Benny goes to the ferry and meets Paola?
8. What is the urban legend that Benny Profane actually does?
9. Why does Esther fall in love with her plastic surgeon?
10. What is Fairing's Parish and how did it get its name?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the motif of life-death-life. Identify at least two examples of the motifs about life-death-life in the book.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of women in Virginia in the1950s when the women in the stories are living their lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women may not have?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Stencil; What is his role in the story? What is the author trying to accomplish by creating Stencil as a major character of the book?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)