|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the two men planning to do that a third man called Gaucho disagrees with?
2. When Benny goes down to the ship's deck to warm up, what does he play with the night watchman?
3. How do Benny and Rachel first meet?
4. Why does Profane leave Angel and the rest of the crew?
5. What is the name of the pilot who needed facial reconstruction?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Gaucho arrested?
2. What appears to be a problem in Rachel and Benny's relationship?
3. What is Benny's new job at the end of Chapter 1 and how does he get it?
4. Why does Rachel go to see Dr. Schoenmaker's profession and why does it upset her?
5. What is the urban legend that Benny Profane actually does?
6. Describe Benny Profane in Chapter 1.
7. How does Dr. Schoenmaker view Esther in Chapter 4?
8. Describe the Sailor's Grave.
9. What is the disturbing discovery that Profane makes about Fina?
10. Why does Stencil go to the dentist and what does he discover?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pynchon is known for paying homage to various authors and works of literature. Choose at least four references used in the book. Write at least 250 words on each reference. Also add your opinion as to why Pynchon chose that particular author or reference.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of the novel's title. Why do you think the author named the book V.? Now that you have read the book, how does that alter your understanding of the title? Are you intrigued to find a sequel? Why or why not? Cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses some important instances of flashbacks in the stories. Explain what a flashback is and cite at least two making sure to explain what makes each a flashback.
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)