|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Evan Godolphin go to visit in April 1899?
2. What is the name of the lover of Victoria Wren?
3. What is the name of the record executive's wife?
4. Which member of the Whole Sick Crew does Rachel sometimes date?
5. Who is the world adventurer looking for?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Esther fall in love with her plastic surgeon?
2. Describe Victoria in Chapter 7.
3. Why does Profane leave his friends?
4. Describe Benny Profane in Chapter 1.
5. What happens when Benny goes to the ferry and meets Paola?
6. What does Hugo Bongo-Shaftsbury talk to Mildred about on the train in Egypt?
7. What is Fairing's Parish and how did it get its name?
8. How did Stencil get wounded in Chapter 5?
9. What is Vheissu?
10. What is the urban legend that Benny Profane actually does?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
V. is an enigmatic and famous character in this book. Explain the history of V. as you know it. When did the character first appear in the book? What culture seemingly created V.? How has the character changed throughout history? Why do you think Pynchon chose V. as a main character?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two themes about loss in the stories. Then cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Pynchon constantly brings up metaphors and imagery associated with the supernatural. Give 3 examples of how the supernatural is portrayed.
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)