|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Evan Godolphin think of Vheissu?
2. Which member of the Whole Sick Crew does Rachel sometimes date?
3. On the last night before he leaves the Catskills, what does Benny see Rachel doing when he goes to talk to her?
4. Where are rumors of a spy called the Gaucho going around?
5. Who are the members of the Whole Sick Crew?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Benny Profane in Chapter 1.
2. Describe Lepsius.
3. Why is Gaucho arrested?
4. What is Vheissu?
5. What happens when Benny goes to the ferry and meets Paola?
6. How does Dr. Schoenmaker view Esther in Chapter 4?
7. How is the apathy of the Whole Sick Crew evident in Winsome's behavior?
8. Who does Benny meet on the subway and who do they introduce him to?
9. What is Fairing's Parish and how did it get its name?
10. Why does Esther fall in love with her plastic surgeon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the motif of life-death-life. Identify at least two examples of the motifs about life-death-life in the book.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 3
Pynchon is known for paying homage to various authors and works of literature. Choose at least four references used in the book. Write at least 250 words on each reference. Also add your opinion as to why Pynchon chose that particular author or reference.
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)