|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Winsome fear that Mafia is doing that he tells Rachel?
(a) Stealing money.
(b) Killing people.
(d) Sleeping around.
2. Who acts like a mother towards Esther, concerned about her welfare and her decisions in Chapter 12?
3. When Mondaugen feels sick, what does Gondolphin think he has?
(d) Yellow fever.
4. Who tries to have sex with Paola but she refuses in Chapter 13?
(a) Pig Bodine.
5. Where is Captain Hugh Godolphin heading off to when Mondaugen meets him?
(c) An expedition to the South Pole.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Benny want to get a job in Chapter 8?
2. When Stencil and Profane break into Eigenvalue's ofﬁce, what do they steal?
3. What is "yo-yo-ing" practiced by the Whole Sick Crew in Chapter 10?
4. Where do the police take Winsome after he jumps from the first floor into their net?
5. What does Slab suggest that Esther do about her pregnancy?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does V. appear in Chapter 9 and what does this say about her or her role?
2. Why is Stencil afraid to go to Malta?
3. How does fate appear to intervene in the life of Benny Profane in Chapter 8?
4. Why is Fina leaving New York?
5. When Benny is propositioned by Mafia, what does he do and what does it reveal about him?
6. Why are the members of the Whole Sick Crew not bothered by police arrests?
7. How is Benny Profane's "yo-yo" behavior different from that of the Whole Sick Crew?
8. What does Kurt Mondaugen witness in 1922 while in Africa?
9. What is Paola's relationship with men in Chapter 8?
10. Why is Rachel worried about Esther?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)