|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rachel ask Benny Profane's help in procuring that he suggests she borrow from Winsome?
(a) An alibi.
(b) A shoe.
(c) A key.
(d) A car.
2. What does Slab suggest that Esther do about her pregnancy?
(a) Have it.
(b) Hide it.
(c) Go to Cuba and get an abortion.
(d) Check again that it is real.
3. Who does Stencil tell Profane loves him in Chapter 13?
4. Where is Captain Hugh Godolphin heading off to when Mondaugen meets him?
(d) An expedition to the South Pole.
5. What is the horrible accident that happens to the ballerina on stage in Chapter 14?
(a) An elephant lands on her, crushing her instantly.
(b) She is poisoned.
(c) She is impaled on a wooden stake.
(d) She falls down to her death.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Mondaugen was in Africa, what was the project he worked on?
2. Who is talking to Rachel in a bar and confesses feelings for Paola in Chapter 10?
3. What kind of building is Fausto Maijstral in that he describes in his letter?
4. While Esther tries to run to the plane, who gets in a fight at the airport?
5. Who tries to have sex with Paola but she refuses in Chapter 13?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Stencil afraid to go to Malta?
2. What does Fausto Mijstral reveal in his letter to his daughter Paola?
3. How does fate appear to intervene in the life of Benny Profane in Chapter 8?
4. Why is Rachel disappointed in Benny?
5. When Benny is propositioned by Mafia, what does he do and what does it reveal about him?
6. Why is Rachel worried about Esther?
7. Why is Rachel angry with Slab?
8. Why is Fina leaving New York?
9. Why does Paola masquerade as Ruby?
10. What does Kurt Mondaugen witness in 1922 while in Africa?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)