|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Sir Alistair Wren?
(a) A British spy.
(b) A knighted singer.
(c) The British Prime Minister.
(d) A member of English Parliament and father of Victoria Wren.
2. By his apparent lack of interest in other women, what does Profane reveal?
(a) His solitary nature.
(b) His alcoholism.
(c) His homosexuality.
(d) His devotion to Rachel.
3. Who does Evan Godolphin go to visit in April 1899?
(a) His seaman, Stencil.
(b) His mother, V.
(c) His father, Captain Hugh.
(d) His friend, Joseph Profane.
4. Who is a patient of Dr. Schoenmaker that Rachel pays the bill for?
(a) Paola Malta.
(b) Esther Harvitz.
(c) Benny Profane.
(d) Jill Odenbecker.
5. What does Angel do for a living?
(a) He dances in Times Square.
(b) He catches alligators in the sewers of New York City.
(c) He kills people.
(d) He cooks meat.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Waldetar see crying?
2. In a cafe in Egypt, what does the waiter P. Aieul hear two Englishmen talk about?
3. What does Pig Bodine tell Benny about the couple Pappy Hod and Paolo?
4. On the last night before he leaves the Catskills, what does Benny see Rachel doing when he goes to talk to her?
5. What are Mantissa, Cesare, and the Gaucho about to do when Mantissa has a change of heart, forcing them all to flee?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Vheissu?
2. What appears to be a problem in Rachel and Benny's relationship?
3. What does Hugo Bongo-Shaftsbury talk to Mildred about on the train in Egypt?
4. Why does Stencil go to the dentist and what does he discover?
5. Describe Waldetar.
6. What does Rachel have a desire for that all the other members of the Whole Sick Crew appear to lack?
7. How does Dr. Schoenmaker view Esther in Chapter 4?
8. Describe the Sailor's Grave.
9. Who does Benny meet on the subway and who do they introduce him to?
10. What happens to the Birth of Venus painting in Chapter 7?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)