|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is a patient of Dr. Schoenmaker that Rachel pays the bill for?
(a) Benny Profane.
(b) Jill Odenbecker.
(c) Esther Harvitz.
(d) Paola Malta.
2. Who is Esther's lover?
(c) Dr. Schoenmaker.
3. When the police arrive at the bar, where do Profane, Pig and Paola flee to?
(a) They go to an apartment of another sailor, Morris Teﬂon.
(b) They go to the boat.
(c) They run away to Greece.
(d) They climb up the fire escape.
4. What does Angel find in the clubhouse that makes him furious?
(a) A dead cat.
(b) A stash of money.
(c) His sister naked on a mattress.
(d) Broken dolls.
5. Where does Benny find Paola after spending time with the night watchman?
(a) Standing on the beam.
(b) On the deck.
(c) In the bathroom.
(d) At the ferry.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the priest who tried to convert rats to Catholicism in New York City believe?
2. What apparently had Paola done by marrying Pappy Hod?
3. Who does Rachel see sneaking out of the apartment in her coat?
4. When Benny goes down to the ship's deck to warm up, what does he play with the night watchman?
5. How and where was Stencil shot?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does V. appear in Chapter 9 and what does this say about her or her role?
2. When Fausto changes his personality, what is the role that he assumes?
3. Why does Paola masquerade as Ruby?
4. What is Benny's new job at the end of Chapter 1 and how does he get it?
5. What is Paola's relationship with men in Chapter 8?
6. Why does Esther have trouble in her relationship with the plastic surgeon?
7. What is V.'s point of view regarding the siege in Africa in 1922?
8. What does the reader learn about V. in Chapter 3?
9. What is the last incarnation of V. in the book?
10. How does Dr. Schoenmaker view Esther in Chapter 4?
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)