|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While Profane thinks he is settled in his job, what happens that changes everything in Chapter 13?
(a) He falls sick.
(b) His company goes bankrupt.
(c) He misses his alarm and is fired from his job.
(d) His pay is cut down to a third.
2. What does Rachel ask Benny Profane's help in procuring that he suggests she borrow from Winsome?
(a) An alibi.
(b) A key.
(c) A shoe.
(d) A car.
3. When Mondaugen feels sick, what does Gondolphin think he has?
(c) Yellow fever.
4. At the airport, who is leaving for Puerto Rico in Chapter 12?
5. Who guesses that Esther could be pregnant?
(a) Pig Bodine.
6. Who is talking to Rachel in a bar and confesses feelings for Paola in Chapter 10?
7. What does Shale Schoenmaker want to do that makes Esther angry and leave?
(a) He leaves the country.
(b) He proposes that he do more plastic surgery on her.
(c) He dates someone else.
(d) He cheats on her.
8. What does Rachel say that Profane is too wrapped up in that will prevent him from truly loving a woman?
(d) The idea of himself as a schlemihl.
9. Why is Rachel angry at Slab in Chapter 12?
(a) Because he can be bribed.
(b) Because he left her for Esther.
(c) Because he fights with Pig Bodine over her.
(d) Because he would let Esther just leave like that.
10. Where is Captain Hugh Godolphin heading off to when Mondaugen meets him?
(d) An expedition to the South Pole.
11. When Mondaugen is looking for a power source for his antennas, what or who does he find in the basement of the expatriate's house?
(a) A fridge full of marijuana.
(b) A chest full of diamonds.
(c) A stash of money.
(d) A native who has been whipped.
12. Who does Rachel want to know is in her apartment?
13. Where does Benny Profane work as a guard?
(a) Underwater Research.
(b) Anthroresearch Associates.
(d) Scientific One.
14. What is the name of the expatriate that Mondaugen visits to give news of the war?
15. Who tells Rachel and Profane that the dentist was robbed in Chapter 14?
(b) The dentist.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Fausto Maijstral refer to himself after the birth of his child and the beginning of war?
2. What does Pig see by the antenna by the platform of the ship where Profane was working?
3. Who is the German woman with a fake eye that Mondaugen meets?
4. When Winsome comes back to his apartment, who does he find his wife is talking to?
5. What does Winsome fear that Mafia is doing that he tells Rachel?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)