|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Evan Godolphin go to visit in April 1899?
(a) His friend, Joseph Profane.
(b) His seaman, Stencil.
(c) His mother, V.
(d) His father, Captain Hugh.
2. Who is Dr. Shale Schoenmaker?
(a) A dentist.
(b) A podiatrist.
(c) A cardiovascular surgeon.
(d) A plastic surgeon.
3. Who does Benny meet on the subway in New York?
(a) A waif.
(b) A hungry child.
(c) Tolito, Jose and Kook.
(d) A crazy hobo.
4. When Captain Hugh leaves Victoria's room, who does he see in a florist shop outside?
(d) Signor Mantissa.
5. Why does Profane leave Angel and the rest of the crew?
(a) He is scared of them.
(b) He is angry.
(c) Without work, he feels there is no longer a reason to stay with them.
(d) He is bored.
6. What is the name of the rat that the priest describes in his journal as wanting to be a sister?
7. Who is Alice?
(a) The missing child of Sir Wren.
(b) The daughter of the ambassador.
(c) A British opera singer.
(d) A young girl who Maxwell once loved that Victoria reminds him of.
8. Where does Waldetar work as a conductor?
(a) The Alexandria and Cairo express train.
(b) The British Philharmonic society.
(c) The Egyptian opera.
(d) The Siberian railroad.
9. How do Benny and Rachel first meet?
(a) At a diving event.
(b) At his mother's house.
(c) After she almost runs him over outside the restaurant.
(d) At a party.
10. What does Angel do for a living?
(a) He cooks meat.
(b) He kills people.
(c) He catches alligators in the sewers of New York City.
(d) He dances in Times Square.
11. With whom does Benny attend a New Year's party on a boat?
12. What does Gaucho offer the two men to help them succeed in their plan?
(a) A car.
(b) A bomb.
(c) A key.
(d) Some money.
13. What collapses on Evan as he tries to leave the building?
(a) The box.
(c) The door.
(d) His lungs.
14. What does Benny give Paola at the bus station?
(a) A love letter.
(b) A hug.
(c) Rachel's address.
15. Why did Victoria part with her father and her sister?
(a) Because they discovered her affair with Goodfellow.
(b) To conduct a secret ceremony.
(c) To meet up with her lover.
(d) To do her duties as a royal spy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the Whole Sick Crew listen to at a jazz bar in Chapter 2?
2. Who is Esther's lover?
3. Who does Rachel see sneaking out of the apartment in her coat?
4. What is the name of Angel's friend who works with him?
5. Where does Benny find Paola after spending time with the night watchman?
This section contains 444 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)