Chapter 1, In which Benny Profane, a schlemihl and human yo-yo, gets to an apocheir
1. What is the name of the tavern that Benny Profane enters in Norfolk, Virginia on Christmas Eve, 1955?
(a) Sailor's Grave.
(b) Mermaid Tavern.
(d) Butch Cat.
2. What is the name of the barmaid who brings Benny Profane a drink at the tavern in Virginia?
3. What is a strange habit of the seaman who Benny recognizes in the bar from the Navy?
(a) He likes to bite the buttocks of barmaids.
(b) He wears a toupe.
(c) He chews his foot.
(d) He sleeps upside down.
4. What happens during "suck hour" at the bar?
(a) Sailors can drink from rubber breasts attached to beer taps.
(b) People fight over drinks.
(c) Everyone gets a lollipop.
(d) Seamen curl up and sleep.
5. What does Pig Bodine tell Benny about the couple Pappy Hod and Paolo?
(a) They split.
(b) They were happy together.
(c) They were fighting.
(d) They were arriving.
6. What apparently had Paola done by marrying Pappy Hod?
(a) Fall in love.
(b) Come to America.
(c) Overcome her alcoholism.
(d) Cheat on her husband.
This section contains 4,449 words
(approx. 15 pages at 300 words per page)