Chapter 1, In which Benny Profane, a schlemihl and human yo-yo, gets to an apocheir
• Benny Profane enters a tavern in Norfolk, Virginia called the Sailor's Grave on Christmas Eve, 1955.
• The barmaid Beatrice gives him a drink.
• Another sailor, Pig Bodine, comes in and tells him about Pappy Hod, who split up with his young wife, Paola, from Malta.
• Mrs. Boffo comes out and plays a Christmas song, but Pig stops it for suck hour.
• Profane watches, the police arrive, and Profane, Pig and Paola ﬂee to an apartment of another sailor, Morris Teﬂon.
• They stay there several nights, drinking vodka and are interrupted one night by Teﬂon and his camera. Paola and Profane have sex.
• Profane takes the film and leaves with Paola. They leave for Norfolk and Profane stays with Pig and Paola stays with one of the barmaids.
• Profane wakes up in the middle...
This section contains 1,732 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)