|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Utz say he had his feet on both sides of the iron curtain?
2. Where does Utz go at the end of the chapter?
3. What is Utz's bedside lampshade made from?
4. What famous explorer is referred to in this section?
5. What did the Chinese teach that god was the body of?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Marco Polo call Cowrie beads porcelain shells?
2. Why is Marta devoted to Utz?
3. Why does Utz think porcelain was the Chinese people's material?
4. How does Utz react when the narrator asks to see his bathroom?
5. Why does Utz want to go back to Prague?
6. Why did the makers call the white porcelain porcelain?
7. Why did people think gold could save one from death?
8. Describe Utz's bathrobe.
9. Why is Augustus the Strong one of Utz's heros?
10. Why does Utz say he took up alchemical studies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What problems do Utz's generation face? How are the problems for Utz's generation different to the problems his father's generation face? Identify and discuss a significant problem facing your generation.
Essay Topic 2
Choose two of the following people and outline their influence on Utz's life.
2. His grandmother.
Essay Topic 3
In 1992, George Sluizer directed a film version of Utz. How did the filmmakers adapt the themes to fit in with the new environment? How did these changes affect the meaning of the story?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)