|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Bottger develop in 1708?
2. What was Bottger's grandfather's occupation?
3. What famous explorer is referred to in this section?
4. What does Utz say people once believed Crystals turned into?
5. Why does Utz say he had his feet on both sides of the iron curtain?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Marta bang pots together?
2. How did Bottger allow Augustus the strong to open the first commercial porcelain factory in 1710?
3. Why does Utz dislike Vichy?
4. How did Utz get a visa to leave Czechoslovakia?
5. How does Utz react when the narrator asks to see his bathroom?
6. What does Utz remember about the mushroom season?
7. How did the German's use Bottger's porcelain during the 1923 inflation?
8. Describe Utz's bathrobe.
9. Why did Marco Polo call Cowrie beads porcelain shells?
10. Why did people think gold could save one from death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the arguments for and against Communism? What is Chatwin opinion on Communism and how does he express them? Do you agree or disagree with Chatwin's opinion?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the 1980s? How does the author express these concerns?
2. How would the author change the novel if it was set in today's society?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)