|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What city does Utz say he sleeps soundly in?
2. What did Marco Polo call cowrie beads?
3. Who did Utz rescue Marta from?
4. What does Utz believe porcelain is the antidote to?
5. What is the name of the one exhibition open at the Rudolfine Museum?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the German's use Bottger's porcelain during the 1923 inflation?
2. Why did people think gold could save one from death?
3. Why does Utz say he took up alchemical studies?
4. Why does the woman on the train disgust Utz?
5. Why is Augustus the Strong one of Utz's heros?
6. What did Utz fantacize would happen on his trip?
7. How did Bottger allow Augustus the strong to open the first commercial porcelain factory in 1710?
8. Why does Utz dislike Vichy?
9. Why did Marco Polo call Cowrie beads porcelain shells?
10. Why does Utz want to go back to Prague?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the books reception in three different countries including the country the book was written. How do their opinions about the books differ? Was the book more influential in one country than another? If so, why?
Essay Topic 2
Examine communism and capitalism. Why did communism and capitalism become the two main political systems after WWII? What are the differences between the two systems of thought? Why do you think Communism failed?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the novel and helps to express character and theme.
2. Point of view
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)