|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator think Utz may have hidden in his dressing table?
2. What season does Utz say provided the happiest times?
3. What room does Marta withdraw to?
4. What city does Utz meet the man from his bank?
5. What kind of candlestick does Marta bring into the room?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Utz conclude about luxury?
2. What does Utz remember about Marta?
3. How did the German's use Bottger's porcelain during the 1923 inflation?
4. What did Utz fantacize would happen on his trip?
5. Why does Utz think porcelain was the Chinese people's material?
6. How did Utz get a visa to leave Czechoslovakia?
7. Why did Utz decide to leave Czechoslovakia?
8. Describe the porcelain figure Dr. Franfurter sells Utz.
9. What does Utz like about the soprano he sees at a show?
10. Describe Utz's bathrobe.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What problems do Utz's generation face? How are the problems for Utz's generation different to the problems his father's generation face? Identify and discuss a significant problem facing your generation.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the novel and helps to express character and theme.
2. Point of view
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)