|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Utz's robe have on its shoulder?
2. What does Utz say the search for gold was the search for?
3. What does porcella mean in Italian?
4. What city does Utz say he sleeps soundly in?
5. What city would Utz go to during mushroom season?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Utz fantacize would happen on his trip?
2. Why does Marta bang pots together?
3. How did the German's use Bottger's porcelain during the 1923 inflation?
4. What does Utz conclude about luxury?
5. Why did Utz decide to leave Czechoslovakia?
6. Describe the porcelain figure Dr. Franfurter sells Utz.
7. Describe Utz's bathrobe.
8. What does Utz like about the soprano he sees at a show?
9. Why does Utz say he took up alchemical studies?
10. Why did the makers call the white porcelain porcelain?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the arguments for and against Communism? What is Chatwin opinion on Communism and how does he express them? Do you agree or disagree with Chatwin's opinion?
Essay Topic 2
Examine life under Communist rule.
1. What is Communism?
2. What influence had on world politics? Are their communist elements in American society?
3. How had Communism life shaped Utz? Why was he unable to leave the his country's Communist regime?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)