|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the Chinese teach that god was the body of?
2. Who does the narrator say is devoted to Utz?
3. What meat does Marta serve Utz and the narrator?
4. What does Utz say is the same word as porcelain?
5. What is the collar of Utz's bathrobe made from?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Utz conclude about luxury?
2. What does Utz remember about the mushroom season?
3. What did Utz fantacize would happen on his trip?
4. Describe the porcelain figure Dr. Franfurter sells Utz.
5. What does Utz remember about Marta?
6. How did the German's use Bottger's porcelain during the 1923 inflation?
7. Why does the woman on the train disgust Utz?
8. What does Utz like about the soprano he sees at a show?
9. Why does Utz want to go back to Prague?
10. What does the narrator see in Utz's bedroom?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author wrote Utz in the first person. Why do you think the author chose to write the story in the third person? How do you think the meaning of the story would change if the author wrote it in the first person?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following and examine their real life equivalent. How did the author adapt it for his novel?
1. The KSC.
3. Art collecting.
Essay Topic 3
Compare Western European and Central and Eastern European culture.
1. What are the differences between the two cultures?
2. In what way have the two cultures influenced each other?
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)