|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has promised to make the narrator rich if he find Utz's porcelain collection?
2. What do the customs men take from Utz?
3. Where is Dr. Frankfurter's porcelain made?
4. How do Utz and Marta counter any microphones that may have been planted in the house?
5. What does Utz think the French have lost?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did people think gold could save one from death?
2. Why does the woman on the train disgust Utz?
3. What does Utz remember about the mushroom season?
4. Why does Utz dislike Vichy?
5. How did the German's use Bottger's porcelain during the 1923 inflation?
6. What does Utz like about the soprano he sees at a show?
7. Why does Utz want to go back to Prague?
8. How does Utz react when the narrator asks to see his bathroom?
9. Why is Marta devoted to Utz?
10. Why does Utz say he took up alchemical studies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What problems do Utz's generation face? How are the problems for Utz's generation different to the problems his father's generation face? Identify and discuss a significant problem facing your generation.
Essay Topic 2
The author wrote Utz in the first person. Why do you think the author chose to write the story in the third person? How do you think the meaning of the story would change if the author wrote it in the first person?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the books reception in three different countries including the country the book was written. How do their opinions about the books differ? Was the book more influential in one country than another? If so, why?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)