|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What story is Rabbi Loew associated with?
2. What German city does Utz's grandmother send him to?
3. What does Utz cram on his mirror backed shelves?
4. What did Utz plan with care?
5. Where city did Utz rescue the Barcelona chairs from?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Utz's grandmother ignite Utz's interest in Porcelain collecting?
2. How does Utz help people during the war?
3. How did the communist state divert people's attentions from the Christian rituals of Utz's funeral?
4. What does Dr. Orlik do every time he sees a fly in the restaurant?
5. Why do the Jews think Adam was the first golem?
6. How does the narrator describe Utz?
7. How did Utz lose his temper with the secret police?
8. What does Utz's funeral suggest about him as a person?
9. How does Utz develop his theory about porcelain collecting?
10. Why did the Nazis preserve the Jewish cemetery?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the 1980s? How does the author express these concerns?
2. How would the author change the novel if it was set in today's society?
Essay Topic 2
Compare Utz's character to the person he was at the beginning to the person he is at the end.
1. What did Utz hope to achieve at the beginning of the story?
2. What events changes Utz's ideas about life?
3. How has Utz's character changed by the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Away from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)