|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What German city does Utz's grandmother send him to?
2. Where was the bear shot?
3. What kind of bear is at the end of the table?
4. What does Golem mean in Hebrew?
5. Who has paid for Orlik and Marta's breakfast at the Hotel Bristow?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the Jews think Adam was the first golem?
2. Why does Dr. Orlik study the household fly?
3. How did Rabbi Loew use Yossel?
4. How could a rabbi destroy a golem?
5. Why does the narrator's friend send him to meet Utz?
6. How does Rabbi Loew stop Yossel from running amok?
7. Describe Utz's apartment.
8. Why did the Nazis preserve the Jewish cemetery?
9. How did the communist state divert people's attentions from the Christian rituals of Utz's funeral?
10. Describe the stuffed bear in the Hotel Bristol.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the novel and helps to express character and theme.
2. Point of view
Essay Topic 2
Choose two of the following people and outline their influence on Utz's life.
2. His grandmother.
Essay Topic 3
Examine communism and capitalism. Why did communism and capitalism become the two main political systems after WWII? What are the differences between the two systems of thought? Why do you think Communism failed?
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)