|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Utz meet the narrator?
2. Which member of the secret police drops a porcelain piece on the floor?
3. What does Utz own a spectacular collection of?
4. Where was the bear shot?
5. What kind of bear is at the end of the table?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the Jews think Adam was the first golem?
2. How did Utz's grandmother ignite Utz's interest in Porcelain collecting?
3. Why is there no trout available at the trout restaurant?
4. How does Utz help people during the war?
5. Where does the golem legend have its roots?
6. How does Rabbi Loew stop Yossel from running amok?
7. What does Dr. Orlik do every time he sees a fly in the restaurant?
8. Why does the narrator's friend send him to meet Utz?
9. How did the communist state divert people's attentions from the Christian rituals of Utz's funeral?
10. How does Utz develop his theory about porcelain collecting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose two of the following people and outline their influence on Utz's life.
2. His grandmother.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the 1980s? How does the author express these concerns?
2. How would the author change the novel if it was set in today's society?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the books reception in three different countries including the country the book was written. How do their opinions about the books differ? Was the book more influential in one country than another? If so, why?
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)