|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Utz disavow after Germany surrenders?
2. What is the address of Kasper Joachim's apartment?
3. How does the narrator describe the main room in Utz's apartment?
4. How does the narrator describe Utz's eyes?
5. What is the name of the river that runs through Prague?
Short Essay Questions
1. How could a rabbi destroy a golem?
2. What does Utz's funeral suggest about him as a person?
3. How did Rabbi Loew use Yossel?
4. How does Rabbi Loew stop Yossel from running amok?
5. What does Dr. Orlik do every time he sees a fly in the restaurant?
6. How did the communist state divert people's attentions from the Christian rituals of Utz's funeral?
7. Describe Utz's apartment.
8. Describe the stuffed bear in the Hotel Bristol.
9. How does the narrator describe Utz?
10. Why has the narrator come to Prague?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following and examine their real life equivalent. How did the author adapt it for his novel?
1. The KSC.
3. Art collecting.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the 1980s? How does the author express these concerns?
2. How would the author change the novel if it was set in today's society?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)