|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marta drink at breakfast?
2. What is Vaclav waiting for outside the church?
3. What does Utz own a spectacular collection of?
4. What does met mean in Hebrew?
5. What was the easiest way to get an exit visa?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the Nazis preserve the Jewish cemetery?
2. Describe the stuffed bear in the Hotel Bristol.
3. Why has the narrator come to Prague?
4. Who was Rabbi Loew?
5. Why does Dr. Orlik study the household fly?
6. How does Utz help people during the war?
7. Why is there no trout available at the trout restaurant?
8. How does the narrator describe Utz?
9. What does Dr. Orlik do every time he sees a fly in the restaurant?
10. How did Utz lose his temper with the secret police?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the values of the 1980s.
1. In what ways are the characters a product of their time?
2. How does the play express the changes Czechoslovakia was going through at the time?
3. Does modern society share any values with 1980s Czechoslovakia?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)