|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the boy do when the blonde woman touches him?
2. Who did Utz rescue Marta from?
(a) An American officer.
(b) A mob.
(c) A KGB officer.
(d) A prison guard.
3. What does porcella mean in Italian?
(a) Little sow.
(c) Fat pig.
(d) Big man.
4. What meat does Marta serve Utz and the narrator?
5. Who does Utz think about alone in his apartment?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator feel in the young people they pass?
2. What does Utz say is the same word as porcelain?
3. What do the customs men take from Utz?
4. How does Utz say the free world presented itself to him?
5. Whose body did the Christian equate gold to?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Utz react when the narrator asks to see his bathroom?
2. Why does Utz say he took up alchemical studies?
3. Why did Utz decide to leave Czechoslovakia?
4. What did Utz fantacize would happen on his trip?
5. How did Utz get a visa to leave Czechoslovakia?
6. Why does Utz want to go back to Prague?
7. Why is Marta devoted to Utz?
8. Describe the porcelain figure Dr. Franfurter sells Utz.
9. What does the narrator see in Utz's bedroom?
10. Why does Utz think porcelain was the Chinese people's material?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)