|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What room does the narrator ask to see?
(a) The bathroom.
(b) The dining room.
(c) The loinge.
(d) The kitchen.
2. What city does Utz say he sleeps soundly in?
3. Where does Utz go at the end of the chapter?
(b) A bath house.
(c) A brothel.
(d) A cabaret.
4. What does Utz think his food lacks?
5. How does Utz say the free world presented itself to him?
(a) A volcano.
(b) An abyss.
(c) A heavenly light.
(d) A black hole.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the customs men take from Utz?
2. What does Utz believe porcelain is the antidote to?
3. What city does Utz say he hates?
4. What does porcella mean in Italian?
5. Where do the narrator and Utz walk to?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Utz get a visa to leave Czechoslovakia?
2. Why does Utz dislike Vichy?
3. Why does Utz say he took up alchemical studies?
4. Why does Utz think porcelain was the Chinese people's material?
5. Why did the makers call the white porcelain porcelain?
6. How did Bottger allow Augustus the strong to open the first commercial porcelain factory in 1710?
7. Why does the woman on the train disgust Utz?
8. Why is Marta devoted to Utz?
9. What does the narrator see in Utz's bedroom?
10. What does Utz remember about the mushroom season?
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)